Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3209 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month
15. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 14:25 Slick

Oh and as for the maps, I've been playing in the CTE for the last couple weeks, DICE LA has been rotating each of the new 4 maps. 2 are very interesting and play different from the standard fare. The map Tsaritsyn on 64-conquest is just 3 flags, 2 naturals and one mid in a huge Russian temple-looking building, kremlin-esque but older, and then just a winter wasteland around it. Very unique, where you have to play very smart as walking through no man's land you'll be walking into 32 rifles pointed at you.

The other I can't remember the name of the map, but it has a totally unique mechanic to BF1. The Russians have a battleship, which is fully explorable! Like the Carriers in BF4. Anyways, they spawn off the coast in 8 different water vehicles and have to make a water landing, so kind of Wake-Islandy. The gimmick is that the ruskies have a new vehicle, a troop lander which deploys when it comes into contact with land, becomes undrivable, but a permanent spawn point for the team. Lots of island hopping. Both maps are pretty flat, so you really have to watch your angles, learn when to prone and there's lots of oppertunity for long-range combat if you don't pick a path carefully.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 14:16 Slick

Verno wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 10:03:
HDR fucking owns, you're crazy. BF1 is already pretty well optimized at this point. Both consoles do HDR, the Xbox One S upscales to 4k and can display HDR. The PS4 Pro can do it as well.

I cannot get an OLED/HDR monitor soon enough. I have an LG OLED in the living room and that shit is incredible.

Which model LG OLED?

I was looking at the B7/C7, but I reaaaaally want to wait for an HDMI 2.1 compliant set, but we won't even know about that till January 2018 @ CES... :/

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

12. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 14:15 Slick

http://bf1stats.com/

23,000 PC players online right now, enough to put it in the top 20 in the Steam Charts.

with console players, it's over 100,000.

I have to say, it's sooo nice to be living in a world where Battlefield is so successful on PC, and where CoD has about 12 players. I remember not too long ago it felt like quite the opposite. Not that CoD is bad... it's that it's fucking garbage ^_^

8. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 13:14 Slick

Actually, the vanilla (2013) PS4 also does HDR now, just not 4k, which is odd but true.

And ERGH MAH GERD hdr is fucking fantabulous.

So all major consoles except the OG Xbone do HDR, and MS have announced in the past week that they're killing off that console, replacing it entirely with the Xbox One S (think "slim" variant, same gaming power, does HDR now, plays UHD blu rays)

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Aug 30, 2017, 04:00 Slick

This review actually has me hyped for D2, which is the first I've felt this way since learning it was coming to PC, and then the subsequent letdown of P2P online, 4v4 PvP, and what looked to be just more of the same.

The random encounters shit in D1 was totally just a concept that wasn't fleshed out, it felt tacked on to tick a box, but didn't really offer any of those "battlefield moments" where the chaos of all the subsystems culminates in an endless stream of unique moments. If they're somehow tweaked the recipe to push this kind of emergent gameplay, then I'm sold.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Open Beta
43. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:40 Slick

Oh, and just for people who are focusing on the end-game grind, it's mostly useless.

At launch and for most of the lifetime of Destiny 1, all weapon stats and player levels are "normalized" for any PvP mode. So all that gear chasing is useless if that's what you think you're grinding for.

Occasionally there are the "Iron Banner" events, which is PvP where you keep your levels, but as was discovered in D1, the characters are still VERY heavily normalized. As a streamer made a lvl 1 character and was consistently winning against maxed out players (lvl 20) in this "un-normalized pvp".

The only real reason to grind top tier gear is to do the raids, which I never even did in D1. Took way too much coordination, and fuck me if I'm putting that much effort into coordinating on a goddamned console. There wasn't even a fucking chat or invite system in the "social hub" area, you had to do all that work on your own sending invites to people on PSN or XBLive.

So yeah, never touched the raids, which were supposedly really hard, needed top tier gear, and I still had a blast playing through the main campaign with the odd PvP match thrown in there.

D2 is shaping up to be more of the same, which if it buzzes you, jump in, I probably will, even if I fucking hate Activision.

41. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:31 Slick

Darks wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 19:32:
opie wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:23:
My impression of the beta: (PC)
I was able to get in the 24 early period, but it took 2 hours of contentiously restarting game to get it to connect. error saxophone
Once in, I was pleasantly surprised about Nathan Fillion voice over. Sadly, this was the highlight.
The intro mission was kinda boring and VERY linear. The cut scenes were okay, but ugly.
The match making was painfully slow, and 1 game never loaded. I had to Alt F4 that.
PVE was fun once. It is like replaying the same dungeon run over.. and over.. and over.
PVP was chaos and all about hand-cannon/grenade launcher (1 "hit" kills). Again, boring fast.
The over all graphics (1080P max settings) ran great, but it looked like it was a 8 year old game. Reminds me of Borderlands. The fire was annoying bad, and I found my character got stuck on pebbles that I would have to jump over. I actually got stuck in a tree once.

final words: 4/10 already uninstalled and not going to play again. Might be good for console newbs who have to use a controller.

So, this guy has 3 whole post and we are supposed to buy into his bullshit review? Yea, right!!

I actually like the beta, played the Coop mission with some friends and we had a blast. was a lot of fun. Maxed out everything ran like a champ on the Ti 1080 on 28" 4K HD monitor full resolution.

held 60 FPS without any drops at all.

I think his review is spot-on for someone that doesn't enjoy the mechanics on offer. It's okay that one person gives a game a 4 and another a 9. I can honestly empathize with the 4 score because:

-looooong ass matchmaking for a paltry 4v4 which feels so empty it borders on sad.

but I'd give it a 9 for:

- Very detailed environment, they clearly have an army of talented modellers and texture artists. Even the fx are well done.
- The game runs quite well on PC

PvE is by its nature linear, although there will probably be more open areas like the first game, it all comes down to running missions with fixed objectives. It's just the genre.

39. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:25 Slick

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 18:03:
This is it? This is the much-hyped Destiny? Fuck, console players are easily impressed aren't they? This is just some bullshit hamster-wheel grind-fest. Yeah, I'll probably get around to giving it a playthrough in a couple of years when it's $5 or less. I could easily skip it entirely and likely will by that point.

Core gameplay is better than Halo, so yeah that's what's "impressive" to console gamers.

I think it's good for what it is, it's a boarderlandsy-type co-op shooter. They threw a lot of money at it, the production values are really quite high, and it has a tight gameplay pavlovian loop going on which loot-chasers and grinders love.

I'll play it for about 50 hours then probably shelve it, but just like the first one, it was an enjoyable 50 hours. Pretty mindless, but sometimes that's what I'm looking for.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
59. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 30, 2017, 00:18 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 15:13:
Slick wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 14:17:
Dude, that's the very same dilemma every human faces when walking out their front door every day. Some people will just shit on them, it's called the human condition.
Lulz. I don't know what your situation is, but I don't walk out my door everyday knowing hell will rain down on me.

There's no doubt Valve has lost its creative edge, and I'd agree it is unlikely they'll ever get it back. *shrug* They had a good run.

No, it's the *chance* that you'll have a bad day. If everyone was a slave to this baser impulse, no one would ever leave the house. What if your boss shits on you today? What if your girlfriend is mad at you today? Why bother doing anything at all if there's a chance that the outcome could be negative?

This is doubly true in the creative sphere, where artists are by definition trying to make something unique. Some people think that the point of art is to inflame. And I can think of few artistic endeavours that are less inflammatory than making possibly the most eagerly awaited game in history, especially with the billions Valve makes every year. They could easily just put job postings for the best talent in the industry to come work on HL3, and people would break down their front door for the opportunity.

5. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 29, 2017, 14:23 Slick

It's funny that they're locking the new Xbox One X version to 30 fps, when it's obviously able to hit "real" FPS framerates. Oh man, and the FOV of 2 on consoles is just sooo pukey.

Although I'll say this, Destiny had the best auto-aim algorithm I've ever used with a controller, might be worth trying on PC. Just forgiving enough without losing the challenge, something about it was just so damn satisfying. I'm still convinced that that is what made this game great, the shooting with a controller mechanics were perfect.

56. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 29, 2017, 14:17 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 07:24:
I don't know -- it just struck me as completely unfair to imply they are cowards. HL3 is a no win situation for them as far as I can tell. Yeah, it would probably make money, but no matter what they do, hell will rain down on them.

Dude, that's the very same dilemma every human faces when walking out their front door every day. Some people will just shit on them, it's called the human condition.

Being paralyzed by fear is cowardly.

"This thing that everyone wants, that we BUILT our whole brand on, we're not going to fulfil the storyline because waaaaaaah trolls exist. Better to never even try!"

Buck up, grow a pair, and get it done. If you're too scared to do anything because some people might not like it, then you have no business being in a creative field.

The problem with these huge gaming companies like Valve and Acti-Bliz is that they don't take chances. And the fact that we're defining THE MOST REQUESTED game in history (HL3) as "taking a risk"... then we have a big problem. And it's a fucking sequel... why in the hell are we having to beg for a fucking sequel of a top 5 most well-known IPs in gaming history... that's the definition of "low risk"

If they're more concerned with keeping their image and not fulfilling this storyline that's 20 years old, then they're openly shitting on their fans, and are more concerned with utter market dominance rather than making games. Not really a newsflash if you've been paying attention for the last 10 years, but still, I think this is a final nail in the coffin. Valve isn't a gaming company, they're an online 3rd party reseller store. No point in even thinking otherwise.

54. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 29, 2017, 03:07 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 07:48:
Nucas wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 04:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 16:49:
Suckage wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 16:44:
What excuse does Valve have to not bring closure to HL?
Err, the excuse that no matter what they created they would be criticized.

pure cowardice and total bullshit aside.
Oh yeah? What was the last time you did something you didn't need or have to do which when completed you knew you would be seriously criticized for no matter how you completed the task? My guess would be never.

Uhh, how about everytime I open my mouth? WTF are you on about?

53. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 29, 2017, 03:05 Slick

Nucas wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 14:42:
there's been leak after leak over the years with anonymous employees all telling the same story - gabe newell doesn't want half life 3 made, despite the fairy tale "valve is a totally flat structure!!!" thing that always gets parroted.

the last one i saw by the funhaus guys a year or two back expanded on it further by saying a half life 3 project started to gel around 2010 but apparently the rabid over-reaction to the mass effect 3 ending caused gabe newell to declare it was too risky, among other factors. seeing a fan-base completely turn on a franchise and devalue the property, etc etc.

he probably feels pretty comfortable in that assessment now after seeing the mass effect franchise completely destroyed and 'retired' after the complete fucking hysterics people were in over andromeda.

Interesting.

I mean, let's not mince words, this is Valve's fuckup. But it's curious to hear them blame it on the fans. I mean, if I make a movie, write a book, or program a game, people might fucking hate it, I'm cool with that, I'm an adult.

They should take a page from Michael Bay, did he quit after Transformers 1? NO! how about the 18 sequels? HELL NO! He has his fans, and his critics, and not for one second does he warp his movies around what critics want.

Sad, but I think I just said Michael Bay is more of a true artist than anyone working at Valve.

I mean, we're begging for a fucking SEQUEL here, that's how low the bar has gotten. God forbid they throw some money at developing a new IP. And I actually mean a NEW IP, not something they stole/borrowed/bought from other indy devs/modders, like you know... EVERY GAME THEY'VE PUT OUT SINCE HALF LIFE 1 (not counting The Lab, it's a tech demo).

Someone prove me wrong.

News Comments > Why is Brink Now Free? Why Not?
15. Re: Why is Brink Now Free? Why Not? Aug 28, 2017, 19:56 Slick

I wonder if Valve's alleged 30% from gross is flat, or if there's a minimum. If memory serves, when it came to things like user-created content in their failed attempt to monetize that with Skyrim mods, there was a minimum Valve fee of $1 or $2, and then a % after that. I could be misremembering.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Beta Preloads Today
8. Re: Destiny 2 Beta Preloads Today Aug 25, 2017, 14:50 Slick

I'm sure there will be plenty to judge this game on when we actually get our hands on it, so for the sake of posterity, you guys should probably reserve judgement till then.

I played D1, and am on the fence about getting D2 even for PC, it turned into a grindfest in the endgame that I'm not too eager to revisit, but I do remember it being pretty enjoyable for PvE co-op type gameplay, like a more advanced boarderlands.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2017, 13:20 Slick

My wife organized a viewing party for her university, had about 7000 people there. And yes, people cheered when it hit its maximum coverage.

I could go on for pages about reverence for space, science, and particularly our sun, but I'll just say that it was awe-inspiring.

News Comments > Dauntless Founder's Alpha
2. Re: Dauntless Founder's Alpha Aug 19, 2017, 02:00 Slick

I still have my physical hat I got with my Firefall gold founders pack, oh and the Audio CD from my Half Life 2 Gold founders pack ^_^

Honestly, throwing money at projects beyond the base game is usually a case of me just believing in the project, and wanting to show my support rather than getting DLC or unlocks or swag.

News Comments > Prey Trial Version Released
14. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 22:47 Slick

Ech, I thought Prey 2017 was pretty underwhelming, as it didn't really do anything original other than the GLOO gun. It blatantly stole all gameplay mechanics from other franchises which IMO did them better.

And yes, it wasn't "Prey 2"

But then again I'd point you towards my comparison to Star Wars: Battlefront. DICE's game wasn't called "Star Wars: Battlefront 3". They just called it "Star Wars: Battlefront" This was a clear indication that it's a game in the Star Wars: Battlefront franchise, reboot or no.

And this wasn't lost on the tens of thousands of gamers who not only cried foul, but actively boycotted the DICE game solely on the grounds that it wasn't a "true" Star Wars: Battlefront game.

Most people on this very forum acted in this way, lest we forget.

In both cases it seems to be a case of mob mentality gone amok, it's just perplexing that in one case the mob leaned so heavily against DICE's game, and so favourably towards Arkane's game. When it could be argued that the new Battlefront was MUCH closer in genre, theme, mechanics, and tone as the originals, whereas the new Prey game couldn't have been more different from the previous one.

And the last Battlefront game before DICE was about 12 years ago, so this idea that there's a moratorium on shamelessly cash-grabbing by slapping a name onto a game if X number of years have elapsed simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

12. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 22:04 Slick

Drayth wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 21:48:
Yeah, I already knew they didn't go in to this game thinking it would be a Prey sequel (that was tacked on later in development), so I just ignored it's "lineage". It has no connection to the original game at all, unless I missed some tiny throwback or something.

I just think of it as a new game with the same name as the old idtech Prey.

Sure, but do you think it's a bit odd that no one seemed to care?

If Half Life 3 was nothing like Half-Life, infact if it was a totally different genre and they just tacked the title "Half Life" on because they thought it would help the game sell more...

Don't you think there would be riots? or at the very least a peep made by the fans? Instead of a tacit defense of this shameless tactic?

At the very least, from a social perspective, this whole ordeal is very strange.

Remember when Star Wars: Battlefront by DICE wasn't the EXACT SAME as the previous titles in the series (even though they were the same genre, with the same lore), do you not remember the torches and pitchforks? I remember.

10. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 21:31 Slick

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a demo, all games should have demos. I'm a child of the shareware era after all.

All I'm saying is that the first hour lays the foundation of "mind fuckery" that the original Prey was known for. And shortly after the first hour you're spat out into an entirely different experience, essentially a BioShock clone. The "mind fuckery" doesn't rear its head again until the last hour of the game.

And as in my review, I'll double-down that the last hour's "mind fuckery" is genuinely well done, as is the first hour. It's the fact that they completely ditched everything that made the franchise interesting that irks me.

It's as if Half Life 3 came out and was a Hearthstone clone. It's a totally different genre, with zero lore or gameplay mechanics that the franchise is known for. Just because YOU didn't like Half-Life 2, doesn't mean that it's fine for developers to just totally change the format, genre, lore, gameplay etc. etc. etc.

If this was any other franchise, people would be up in arms, it's very curious as to why people defend this behaviour.

3209 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo