Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3203 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 7, 2017, 13:17 Slick

Jivaro wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 12:31:
Verno wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 12:14:
One time use shaders is a new low for microtransactions but it figures that an Activision published game would feature them.

How I wish it was a new low. Sadly, it's been done before. Not exactly the same thing but nearly as bad are the timed ones. 7 days and then *poof*, gone. TERA is the first game that comes to mind but I am sure there are others.

APB Reloaded has the mother of all bullshit stores, where it's timed, for 30 days and then poof it's gone, oh and you're buying a statistically superior gun that kills 30% faster. YAY!

Also, I don't reaaaaaaaaaaally give a fuck about them selling cosmetics in a pay store, one-time use or not. What concerns me is the reports of non-cosmetic items being sold, I'd like to know more about that.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > LawBreakers Roadmap
8. Re: LawBreakers Roadmap Sep 7, 2017, 13:12 Slick

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 10:19:
The low player numbers are unfortunate but the market is simply saturated with shooters. I'm definitely having more fun with Lawbreakers than Quake Champions tho.

Oh man, I played the quake beta for about 5 minutes before uninstalling. I bet it will sell millions of copies.

Gamers are just dumb as fuck these days, don't know what to tell you all. You could get the same experience with QuakeLive, infact a better one without dumb hero classes as a "me too!" cash grab.

Or you could try Lawbreakers, the game that costs half the price, and easily quad-times the fun It really is a "true" spiritual successor to quake/unreal.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

News Comments > PUBG: 10 Million Down, 90 Million to Go
8. Re: PUBG: 10 Million Down, 90 Million to Go Sep 7, 2017, 05:21 Slick

Numinar wrote on Sep 7, 2017, 04:13:
hunting humans

You do not hunt a man.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2017, 04:46 Slick

A worthy sucessor to the great G602, which I used for years, but in retrospect, the 2x AA batteries add a LOT of weight. Going back to the 602 now, it feels like a clump of concrete in my hand. Still, as an alternative to the G900 series, a def worthy product. the latency is identical to wired mice.  

News Comments > HTC Vive Wireless Adaptor This Month
10. Re: HTC Vive Wireless Adaptor This Month Sep 5, 2017, 18:39 Slick

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 16:56:
The headsets are WARM to start with.. adding a battery pack on it is just a good way of cooking your noggin.

https://www.roadtovr.com/vive-n-chill-cooling-solution-htc-vive-users-sweaty-vr-faces/

News Comments > HTC Vive Wireless Adaptor This Month
7. Re: HTC Vive Wireless Adaptor This Month Sep 5, 2017, 15:36 Slick

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 14:37:
I'll just deal with the cord until the next gen headsets come out with wireless built in. Hopefully they'll have eye tracking and foveated rendering built in as well.

yyyyyyup.

Also, the added weight is a non-starter for me, having been in physio for almost a year due to a Vive injury. Fucking Holopoint, they need to figure out a better wat to approximate your "body" to didge incoming attacks, as of right now the only thing tracked is the head, so to beat the game you have to whip your head back and forth every couple seconds... Physio hasn't even helped, pretty fucking sad, could be permanent damage.

News Comments > Labor Day Metaverse
4. Re: Bitcoin Crashes Sep 4, 2017, 19:37 Slick

Good riddance, ICOs need to die, they're not 90% fraudulent, it's more like 99%. That being said I'm going to be a community manager of an upcoming ICO (non-fraudulent), get ready to throw money at your screen! xD  

News Comments > Labor Day Consolidation
1. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2017, 19:34 Slick

Hmm... Just as I'm contemplating an Xbox One X specifically because multiplayer would be an even playing field if I chose to use a gamepad...  

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month
25. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 04:47 Slick

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 17:39:
CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:15:
If you wanna buy a new "toy" then buy a fleshlight or a real doll or something but not a PC-backstabbing "toy" for lazy couch-dwelling tards from the assholes in Redmond. I'd be extra grateful if you would be this considerate.
IF you have to buy a console at all please get a PS4 Pro instead because Sony does not intentionally sabotage and screw over PC gamers every five minutes. Better exclusives, too.

Well the PS4 Pro can't do true 4k, it just upscales and with the Xbox I get a real 4k dvd reader. I have yet to see a PS4 exclusive I want to play either. I have the Xbox on order.

This.

I had a PS4 Pro, I sent it back. It was nice to play FFXV on it in near-4k with HDR though, but the stuttering was too much to make it enjoyable in the long term.

And to be fair, the 6 Teraflops of the Xbox One X doesn't give it enough juice to do real 4k with most games either. That puts it sliiightly better than a GTX 980, which is a smidge over the absolute minimum for VR.

Also, there are far more PS4 exclusives that look good than Xbox ones... Forza? Cuphead? aaand I'm done. Ps$ on the otherhand has that new Spiderman, that new zombie game (with 1,000,000 AI zombies on-screen, can't remember the name), plus Horizon Zero Dawn which just looks incredible.

I came to the realisation that I just wanted a console to play multiplayer against other people with controllers. Been playing a bunch of Watch Dogs 2 from my couch, and the seamless MP is great, but I just get smoked by players with KB+M. I'm looking forward to being on a level playing field for CERTAIN multi-platform games that I might have more fun playing from my couch. Especially ones that play better with a controller, such as open world 3rd person games (like RDR2 coming up).

4. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 14:09 Slick

Also, I'm actually considering this new xbox console. I wanna play Red Dead Redemption at 4k + HDR, as it looks like it'll be breathtaking. And I think this will be the best way to do that.

But that leaves me without any games that I really care about before next spring. So I've actually been looking at cuphead, the new middle earth game, the new forza... as things to try out with my new toy this november. So I guess it'll be good that I can also play them on my PC?

But I'm of 2 minds about this, I don't really want them on my PC, I want to have to use my new toy, that's the whole point...

3. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 14:07 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 13:44:
As powerful as a console? I swear, this year just keeps getting more and more bizarre. People say the most insane shit with a straight face, I can't even fathom it anymore.

Poor choice of words, but I think the message is clearly about the EFFICIENCY of consoles. Consoles traditionally punch above their weight class when it comes to gaming performance vs horsepower. Developers get to build down "to the metal" in those cases which I think does most of the job, but being able to suspend anything else that isn't required to play the game on the OS level is also a feature of consoles.

Won't make a big difference on a high-end PC, but med/low-end ones, yeah, it'll make a difference.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 1, 2017, 18:48 Slick

That's a dumb summary of what Infamous is, just comparing it to GTA V... The game mechanics are totally different, guy is just mad that it's not as big of an open world at GTA. fail. Game is really fun, the first must-play game of the PS4 era.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Trailer
5. Re: Destiny 2 Trailer Sep 1, 2017, 03:15 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 23:18:
Very nice trailer, but fuck these guys for their PC content delay plan.

I literally just found out that the console versions are coming out in a few days, I'm fine with an October release for PC. At least it's not like GTA V where it was 1.5 years after the initial launch...

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
63. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 31, 2017, 23:30 Slick

It's pretty amazing to see the Valve corporate apologists on here.

"Why should they bother making HL3? They owe their fans nothing!" - Diehard Valve Fan

News Comments > Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month
15. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 14:25 Slick

Oh and as for the maps, I've been playing in the CTE for the last couple weeks, DICE LA has been rotating each of the new 4 maps. 2 are very interesting and play different from the standard fare. The map Tsaritsyn on 64-conquest is just 3 flags, 2 naturals and one mid in a huge Russian temple-looking building, kremlin-esque but older, and then just a winter wasteland around it. Very unique, where you have to play very smart as walking through no man's land you'll be walking into 32 rifles pointed at you.

The other I can't remember the name of the map, but it has a totally unique mechanic to BF1. The Russians have a battleship, which is fully explorable! Like the Carriers in BF4. Anyways, they spawn off the coast in 8 different water vehicles and have to make a water landing, so kind of Wake-Islandy. The gimmick is that the ruskies have a new vehicle, a troop lander which deploys when it comes into contact with land, becomes undrivable, but a permanent spawn point for the team. Lots of island hopping. Both maps are pretty flat, so you really have to watch your angles, learn when to prone and there's lots of oppertunity for long-range combat if you don't pick a path carefully.

14. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 14:16 Slick

Verno wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 10:03:
HDR fucking owns, you're crazy. BF1 is already pretty well optimized at this point. Both consoles do HDR, the Xbox One S upscales to 4k and can display HDR. The PS4 Pro can do it as well.

I cannot get an OLED/HDR monitor soon enough. I have an LG OLED in the living room and that shit is incredible.

Which model LG OLED?

I was looking at the B7/C7, but I reaaaaally want to wait for an HDMI 2.1 compliant set, but we won't even know about that till January 2018 @ CES... :/

12. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 14:15 Slick

http://bf1stats.com/

23,000 PC players online right now, enough to put it in the top 20 in the Steam Charts.

with console players, it's over 100,000.

I have to say, it's sooo nice to be living in a world where Battlefield is so successful on PC, and where CoD has about 12 players. I remember not too long ago it felt like quite the opposite. Not that CoD is bad... it's that it's fucking garbage ^_^

8. Re: Battlefield 1: A Tsar is Born Next Month Aug 31, 2017, 13:14 Slick

Actually, the vanilla (2013) PS4 also does HDR now, just not 4k, which is odd but true.

And ERGH MAH GERD hdr is fucking fantabulous.

So all major consoles except the OG Xbone do HDR, and MS have announced in the past week that they're killing off that console, replacing it entirely with the Xbox One S (think "slim" variant, same gaming power, does HDR now, plays UHD blu rays)

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Aug 30, 2017, 04:00 Slick

This review actually has me hyped for D2, which is the first I've felt this way since learning it was coming to PC, and then the subsequent letdown of P2P online, 4v4 PvP, and what looked to be just more of the same.

The random encounters shit in D1 was totally just a concept that wasn't fleshed out, it felt tacked on to tick a box, but didn't really offer any of those "battlefield moments" where the chaos of all the subsystems culminates in an endless stream of unique moments. If they're somehow tweaked the recipe to push this kind of emergent gameplay, then I'm sold.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Open Beta
43. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:40 Slick

Oh, and just for people who are focusing on the end-game grind, it's mostly useless.

At launch and for most of the lifetime of Destiny 1, all weapon stats and player levels are "normalized" for any PvP mode. So all that gear chasing is useless if that's what you think you're grinding for.

Occasionally there are the "Iron Banner" events, which is PvP where you keep your levels, but as was discovered in D1, the characters are still VERY heavily normalized. As a streamer made a lvl 1 character and was consistently winning against maxed out players (lvl 20) in this "un-normalized pvp".

The only real reason to grind top tier gear is to do the raids, which I never even did in D1. Took way too much coordination, and fuck me if I'm putting that much effort into coordinating on a goddamned console. There wasn't even a fucking chat or invite system in the "social hub" area, you had to do all that work on your own sending invites to people on PSN or XBLive.

So yeah, never touched the raids, which were supposedly really hard, needed top tier gear, and I still had a blast playing through the main campaign with the odd PvP match thrown in there.

D2 is shaping up to be more of the same, which if it buzzes you, jump in, I probably will, even if I fucking hate Activision.

3203 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo