Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3198 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens
23. Re: Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 17:54 Slick

Rigs wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:58:
As for the new consoles release, the Xbox One X isn't even out yet, so I don't think MS is going to pull a successor to the Xbone out in two years time. In fact, I have a feeling that the next gens release might be staggered, as the mid-console refresh was, ie. Sony will bring out the PS5 maybe in 2020-2021 and then MS will be ready with their follow up to the Xbone in 2021-2022. They almost certainly won't call it the Xbox Two, so I'd be much more interested in what they'll call it. (Calling this gen the Xbox One was still a monumentally stupid idea!)

=-Rigs-=

I agree, my gut tells me it's too early, but there are some reputable people making noises that 2019 is when the new shit will hit the fan. Quite possibly staggered, because xbox will just piss off everyone who bought the Scorpio.

Oh and by "reputable" I mean people that claim to have insider knowledge, and who have accurately predicted events in the past. So take it for what it's worth.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 17:52 Slick

Retired wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:57:
Slick wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:51:
55 FoV? Oh jesus... I bet this game will be a fucking mess at launch if this is going on. I think the main stockholm studio is getting overworked. 1 game per year now? that's pretty crazy. Just wait 6 months for DICE LA to take control of it after launch, and patch it the fuck up, and I bet it will be great. the LA studio does a great job at continuing support.

Ill get it when it is $5 like I did the first one. That was about all it was worth anyway....it is a console game thrown onto the PC with zero to no PC gamer love.

THE MASTER PC RACE NEEDS LOVE!

I don't know about that. The first one worked fine on PC.

I don't really know what constitutes a "console game ported to PC" these days. The PC controls, GFX settings, KB+M latency, FoV, all that worked %100 fine.

Looks like the sequel is in worse shape if you can't adjust the FoV...

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

19. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 16:51 Slick

55 FoV? Oh jesus... I bet this game will be a fucking mess at launch if this is going on. I think the main stockholm studio is getting overworked. 1 game per year now? that's pretty crazy. Just wait 6 months for DICE LA to take control of it after launch, and patch it the fuck up, and I bet it will be great. the LA studio does a great job at continuing support.  

18. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 16:47 Slick

I'm DLing it right now on PC, and hunting madly for my PS4 power cable.. grrr. I wanna see how it shapes up on console.

I absolutely destroy in the first game on PC, but the low player count has me concerned for the longevity of the game, and more specifically the modes I like to play on PC.

If it's an improvement on the first one, that's good enough for me. I know I'm in the minority, but i don't really care about no server browser. Their matchmaking is really good and fast if there's a big enough player pool. I mean, mostly everyone i play BF1 with only uses the quick match on PC, and these guys grew up with fucking gamespy...

15. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 16:23 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 15:26:
Still disappointed that we had to lose out on playing a sequel to BF2142 for this over commercialized crap.

I've been talking with some DICE producers on their discord in the past couple weeks (trying to get an article published on the new incursions mode in a reputable zine) and their take is that there's some pushback about fleshing out the "2143" game, that future-battle stuff is a bit over-saturated... but that the guy I was talking to was the one that pushed for all the 2142-esque elements in the last xpack of BF4. He said that they actually planned on getting the walkers (mechs) to be playable, but didn't have enough time. Also apparently the drop pod cannon was a bittttch to program in this new engine.

My personal take... 2143 will be the showcase for the next gen of consoles. We've known that frostbite can handle literally thousands of dynamic lights at once for over a decade, we're still just waiting for the hardware to catch up. Could be a great game to show that shit off in a few years. Some say next gen consoles are 2019 holiday...

14. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 16:19 Slick

4D-Boxing wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 12:48:
Is there a server browser?

FYI, rubberbanding increased in bf1 as well so not sure what's going on. It's like the servers deteriorated over the last few weeks.

I can attest to this. Although BF1 had a hotfix to address this issue a few days ago, it seems better since then...

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
7. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements Oct 6, 2017, 01:24 Slick

You know I reinstalled AssCred: Unity a year ago, and on my GTX 980 at the time, I was fucking rocking ultra everything! I couldn't believe it! I don't know if it was just the passage of time or if they really fixed the shit out of that engine in a patch, but goddamn. I remember that game just running like a turd, and now it runs like a dream.

In fact what was truly weird was noticing how they could make more graphical improvements when running on all ultra. I've just been spoiled with the latest version of frostbite I suppose.

Oh and pretty stoked for this game. Will be my second game to play with HDR in 4k since FFXV.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 7 Rolls Out
19. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 Rolls Out Oct 4, 2017, 20:08 Slick

Avus wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 09:22:
I will play this game when it is available on Steam...

Why do you prefer one DRM over another?

Why not at least say: "I'll buy this when it's on GOG?"

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2017, 15:59 Slick

Cuphead: 9.5 fo sho  

News Comments > STAR WARS Battlefront II (2005) Multiplayer Restored
8. Re: STAR WARS Battlefront II (2005) Multiplayer Restored Oct 3, 2017, 02:52 Slick

I'll check out what the player numbers are, for 3.99 is's not much of a gamble. I'll say that I'm getting the new SW:BF II on Xbox prooooobably, which is painful, but I want a consistent playerbase. I've always been able to find games on some gamemodes on PC, but most of the time it's been hard to find a game on ANY gamemode, and I'm pretty sick of dealing with that shit.  

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
10. Re: Emulation and the Law Oct 1, 2017, 04:52 Slick

Oh man, did I get invited to the party?  

News Comments > Cuphead Released
17. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 30, 2017, 16:17 Slick

xD  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2017, 21:38 Slick

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 21:14:
I love that the difficulty in this game is NES level, and not some dumbed-down modern platformer/sidescroller where you have your balls coddled the entire way through. Great art style too, very original and truly refreshing with all the me-too pixel art metroidvania-types that seem to be churning out at a weekly pace.

2-word review: "NINTENDO HARD"

Which brings up a big fault of how most console gamers ingest their media, through a laggy 50" LCD display. Back on a CRT with 0ms input latency, "Nintendo hard" games at least felt like you could beat them if you got good enough. I can personally attest that on a projector with about 60ms of lag some sequences of certain bosses are impossible to beat. It's not a pattern that you can anticipate and lag-compensate, your actions need to be a result of on-screen information, and it simply doesn't arrive in time.

After switching to my gaming monitor it's been a blast, and I've aced the levels that were giving me problems earlier. It's still hard, in the second world it's starting to really get hard, but at no point did I feel helpless, like no matter how good I become I won't be able to beat this.

TLDR: HDMI 2.1 with it's Variable Refresh Rate must coincide with true low latency televisions in the near future, or I'm going to be a very sad Slick.

9. Re: Cuphead Released Sep 29, 2017, 18:49 Slick

ItBurn wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 17:41:
Slick wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 17:19:
So much shit that's taken for granted, UWP definitely has its work cut out for it to achieve feature parity with Win32.

UWP can never achieve feature parity with Win32 because it's an app.

I think that's a distinction without a difference. I'm sure the same functionality can be programmed into either. We're talking about the people who forge the code, I can believe that it is well within their power to sculpt as they see fit, there is no higher authority, even an internal designation of "app" or otherwise.

6. Re: Cuphead Released Sep 29, 2017, 17:19 Slick

Who doesn't like Contra 3? classic!

Anyways, I found a small niggle I should report, these UWP applications apparently aren't recognized by the windows sound mixer, which is a big boo.I can understand this as something that will be patched in, after all they're both MS standards, but it's annoying that it's not there right now. I don't like menu diving just to change the volume on something. I'm often in discord, listening to a podcast, music, playing a game etc. I REALLY like the audio mixer control, so much so that I can't live without it. Infact I'd love to see it's functionality expanded into waveforms and utilizing the notification system Win10 has.

Anyways, I guess UWP doesn't touch that shit yet, so boo.

Also, After going from full screen to windowed, and closing the game, and reopening the game, it seemed to crash once. ie. I got the full-screen game logo, but the then I just saw my desktop. On the second try it worked, seeing the fullscreen logo, then booting into the game fullscreen, and THEN the game remembering that it's supposed to be windowed mode, and then going to windowed mode.

So much shit that's taken for granted, UWP definitely has its work cut out for it to achieve feature parity with Win32.

4. Re: Cuphead Released Sep 29, 2017, 15:48 Slick

Beat the first 4 bosses, and nabbed all 5 coins on the first "run and gun level"

Currently sitting a few rounds out due to a bout of "nintendo thumb" ^_^

BTW, this is the first game I bought on the Windows Store, just cause it has cross play with xbox which I plan on buying. So far it's a %100 perfectly fine seamless experience. I've heard that they've improved it a lot since the quantum break debaucle... and yeah, it seems quite "normal" You couldn't tell there was any DRM, other than changing your xbox account. I used to swap logins on my playstation so the wife and I kept all of our save games seperate, it seems to function the same on PC, and all my saves are playable on the xbox once I buy it.

*NEWS FLASH SLICK IS NOW SHILLING FOR XBOX*

not really, but it's my first dip into the xbox pool, even if on PC, and it seems quite "normal".

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 29, 2017, 06:15 Slick

*update IM NOT CRAZY!*

Check out the original Trailer

The emotional target, the lighting, the volumetric effects, the shadows, the particle effects, the tone mapping...

The second trailer looks like it's from a completely different generation... I wonder if that's the console trailer, but maybe the PC version will eventually look like the first trailer?

Starting to get pretty disappointed, R* made a big stink about how this is the first title they built from the ground up for this generation, but it's starting to look awfully similar to GTA V, from a technical visual perspective :/

Also noticed a couple more janky animations, the gator attack, and drawing the bowstring... looked very video-gamey. Which is fine, you'd think they'd have something better for the goddamned trailer though.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 29, 2017, 06:11 Slick

huh, was it just me? or did that trailed look seriously downgraded compared with the first one? and especially compared to the screenshots they've been letting slip?

Also, the close-up of the black horse's slow-motion galloping animation seemed very blocky. I recently watched some videos from the first RDR (and also Red Dead Revolver for kicks), and I was reminded about how impressive the horse animations were, from a trot to a gait to a gallop, they were just stunning. I'm hoping that this trailer was just showing a bit of a cutscene, and that the horse galloping doesn't look that bad in the final product.

It looked like the torso of the horse was static, and just the legs were flailing in a robotic fashion. Ionno, I'm a stickler for that shit.

Still very stoked for this game

News Comments > RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic Rolls Out
6. Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic Rolls Out Sep 29, 2017, 06:04 Slick

Oh I played the RCT games, they never held sway over me like Theme Park did.

I've reinstalled Theme Park dozens of times over the years, it was rough before dosbox was a thing, as even something like a P3 CPU was "too fast" to run the game properly.

It's probably nostalgia #1, but I just felt like that game was genuinely more fun than RCT, which was indeed dry. RCT just felt soulless. But I can understand anyone who's first contact with the genre was RCT, as it's a great genre, and nostalgia is a powerful aphrodesiac.

Although Planet Coaster can be a bit fiddly at times, it's mostly brilliant, and fits the bill as the king of the genre for me right now.

News Comments > LawBreakers Free Weekend Underway
9. Re: LawBreakers Free Weekend Underway Sep 29, 2017, 04:21 Slick

SlimRam wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 20:51:
Their servers are #EmptyAF

lol

I'll be happy when they go F2P, and monetize the living bejesus out of skins.

Fun game is fun.

3198 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo