Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3209 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction
1. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 17, 2017, 21:00 Slick

Meh, a stand-alone linear single-player experience might have tanked.

We'll see how good Criterion does with the SP campaign in SWBF2.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 17, 2017, 17:56 Slick

Sweet, just picked up Witcher 3 GOTY for xbone for $28 CAD! Looking forward to their HDR enhanced uber version or whatever they're releasing for xbox one x  

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Released
5. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Released Oct 17, 2017, 17:51 Slick

Reviews aren't as good as I'd hoped, but still good enough to play it. Maybe not immediately, but eventually.

I might get it if I think I can get it out of the way before Ass Cred drops in 10 days, then Battlefront a few weeks after that.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 16, 2017, 14:40 Slick

"(often bought with real money)"

Bullshit.

Just because occasionally some tards want to pay-to-convenience and get ahead, doesn't mean that this is "often". That's intellectually dishonest and misleading.

For instance, I've never known anyone to actually pay real money for something that you can just earn in-game. Shit, most people I know will bitch and moan for 6 months debating whether they should spend $9.99 on a 5-map pack DLC...

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback
38. Re: Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 14, 2017, 02:37 Slick

Oh yeah, EA pays me the big bucks to civilly discuss games I enjoy in a totally obscure underground forum that maybe 200 people read. They're always late with their cheques too, typical.

What kind of reception do you get with that tinfoil hat? HBO?

35. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 23:24 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 20:57:
Slick wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 20:33:
CJ is correct.

Although I think it was evidenced by a severe lack of content on launch. SWBF2 doesn't seem like it's in the same league. They have 3 studios working on this, it's not just DICE. And I think there's supposed to be a lot more content on launch. ie. SWBF2 was a more expensive game to make than SWBF1. I wouldn't expect a 40% drop, but probably a 25% easily in the closing days of the holiday season.

You're going to purchase it, more power to you, but you keep loosing each argument you present.

Let it go because right now it's just coming across as astro turfing, which annoys the holy fuck out of me.

Lol?

What did I do to put a bug up your ass?

Losing each argument I present? You seem to be the only one keeping score, I'm just trying to have an honest civil conversation. Don't like it? Block me. Needlessly antagonizing me isn't accomplishing anything.

The "argument" that you quoted me on is based on facts, I'm sorry if that triggered you:

SWBF2 vs. SWBF1

18 locations as opposed to 4 locations

14 heroes as opposed to 6 heroes

39 vehicles as opposed to 11 vehicles

Care to retort? Or just continue steaming for no apparent reason?

30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 20:33 Slick

CJ is correct.

Although I think it was evidenced by a severe lack of content on launch. SWBF2 doesn't seem like it's in the same league. They have 3 studios working on this, it's not just DICE. And I think there's supposed to be a lot more content on launch. ie. SWBF2 was a more expensive game to make than SWBF1. I wouldn't expect a 40% drop, but probably a 25% easily in the closing days of the holiday season.

28. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 20:05 Slick

You're right elf, they did say "most".

So that really could mean anything. I'm all for healthy skepticism, as this INDEED looks like a more aggressive way to cash-in on post-launch profits since they're refusing to charge money for new characters/maps.

No one has enough info to made a sound judgement on this, we won't know how it will shake out until launch. But this overreaction from a lot of the community saying "pay-2-win" is a bit off base.

To me it's a less of 2 evils things.

Scenario #1) Charge $60 for the game, and $50 for the season pass. Segment the player populations. Vanilla servers get far fewer turnout when new DLC comes along, and old DLC gets abandoned when new DLC comes along.

Scenario #2) Charge $60 for the game, keep the players together by including all season pass DLC maps and characters "free" for everyone. Recoup lost income by doing employing aggressive "pay to convenience" tactics.

To my knowledge, no major AAA franchise has made the deliberate step from one to the other. I'm sure there are examples of this, anyone?

23. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 18:35 Slick

Again, for the 10th time, this "scam business model" has been in place in Battlefield 1, 3, and 4. You've been able to buy convenience shortcuts.

I cancelled Destiny 2 on PC cause I envision myself playing Battlefront 2 a lot more, and I don't anticipate on needing/wanting to pay money for convenience shortcuts, as I never have before in a DICE game, and I've never felt like I was "missing out" by just playing the game...

21. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 17:55 Slick

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 16:27:
Slick wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 15:53:
Lol

Also, paid progression has existed in BF3, BF4, and BF1, and no one really batted an eyelash. You've been able to purchase kit and vehicle unlocks with cold hard cash as a convenience. This is mechanically identical to paying for card packs which contain the same "unlockable by playing the game" content.

That's not really the same. You could buy those things directly in BF3,4,1, right?

How is that the same as having to buy loot boxes to try to get it? Say a super awesome weapon is locked behind an unlock that requires you to get a 50 kill streak. That's going to be impossible for 99.99% of the population.

If they let you buy that gun for a dollar, it's shit, but hey, at least you can fork over a buck to get that super awesome gun.

With a lootbox, they say "Buy lootboxes, and that gun will have a 0.000042% drop rate!"

How are the two similar, besides they're both shit, though to a varying degree?

Couple things:

1) all guns and abilities are easy to get. The higher tier ones seem to be the hard ones to get. A bronze ability card is exactly the same as a gold ability card, only the gold one has a slightly lower cooldown. This is different for some base stat cards like better missile lock-on time.

2) it is possible to upgrade a bronze to a silver, silver to gold etc. with scrap, negating the need to find that 0.00024% drop rate epic card you want. you can just craft it. As they say in the article, you have to reach player progression (total level) milestones to be able to do this.

3) "a super awesome weapon" doesn't seem to exist being locked behind a 50-kill streak, or a paid crate with real $$$. They drop from either progression, or crates, and can be upgraded with scrap (if base guns CAN even be upgraded, this didn't exist in the beta, but might in the full release).

4) And yes, in BF3, 4, and 1 you could buy the kits directly. So the CRUCIAL distinction is that this is a loot box system, but that is not the same as pay-to-win. People can criticize the gambling mechanics of loot boxes all they want, I have no strong opinion either way, but I understand people that don't like it.

This is not equivalent to pay-to-win. People are conflating the two, and so far no major news outlet has even tried to debunk this. If you can pay for guns in BF4, 3, and 1, and that's a convenience thing (saves time from having to grind if you're lazy/busy), then it's no different buying loot crates for the same ends. In both instances, you receive the SAME items as you would if you just played the game normally. The difference is in one you get crates, the other direct guns. A reasonable and fair distinction. But that doesn't make one of them pay-2-win and the other not. They're both convenience items, as both can be obtained by just playing the game.

20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 17:55 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 16:59:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 16:24:
It'll be interesting to see if they try to hold onto a high price point this time, the 2015 version saw a price 40% price drop in 30 days I believe.

Yup. I don't remember the first 30 days but what I do remember is that the game came out in November and in January it was already selling for $29.99 on Origin. The price dropped like a stone.

I expect the price to crumble real fast again. Maybe not as fast as part 1 but EA have generally discounted their games on Origin quickly in the last couple of years.
The console versions matter much more to them anyway so it seems like they are just trying to push volume through Origin instead of maximizing the price per unit.

Then they add the games to Access ASAP to boost the popularity of the service and at some point they will probably raise the Access subscription price or diversify their GaaS offering by introducing basic and premium subscriptions or something like that.

I think the fact that they're not doing a season pass might mean it will take longer for the price to drop. They're going to keep generating news by dropping free content updates, and that will bring in new players along the way.

It will get cheap eventually, but with this business model, I can't see it dropping like a stone as early as the last one.

13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 15:53 Slick

Lol

Also, paid progression has existed in BF3, BF4, and BF1, and no one really batted an eyelash. You've been able to purchase kit and vehicle unlocks with cold hard cash as a convenience. This is mechanically identical to paying for card packs which contain the same "unlockable by playing the game" content.

Just sayin.

9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 15:09 Slick

On a sociological note, I know I'll get flack for this... but I'm okay with not getting %100 of the things in a game.

I'm not a completionist, and I'm fine with being happy with what I get. I know this flies in the face of people who expect to get everything a game has everytime, but it's just not me.

I think that perhaps the mental exercise of not getting everything you want right when you want it is possibly a good thing for society. As long as there aren't things that you can ONLY get if you pay real $$$.

Bring on the flames

8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 14:59 Slick

I agree that splitting the community into 2 playerbases, one that has flattened values, and one that uses the normal progression system is dumb.

Also, I'm not that worried about loot crates, I've played other games that use that system. My panties aren't in a twist over it.

Mostly because it isn't pay-to-win.

It's pay-to-convenience.

Follow me here:

APB Reloaded has "golden guns" that you can rent for $10 for 30 days that have BETTER stats than ANYTHING possible to earn/craft in-game. This is pay-2-win. Black Desert Online has a similar system where you can buy clothing that gives you +XP% that is only purchasable with real money. This is pay-2-win.

Battlefront has an aggressive pay-to-convenience. And even then it's hobbled by the fact that you have to reach certain ranks to even upgrade your cards. And even then we're talking about the difference between a 26-second cooldown for an ability on gold tier, to 24-second cooldown on epic tier.

And the +DMG star card goes from +7 to +10% dmg from gold to epic. And anyone can craft this themselves with scrap (after leveling up your character). That +3% dmg I HIGHLY doubt will even give you a lower TTK. Maybe some guns will be one less shot to kill, but it's doubtful. 3% isn't much. But it's besides the point. It's all earnable in-game without spending a dime. If you spend money it's fully under the "convenience" umbrella, not pay-2-win.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Oct 13, 2017, 00:27 Slick

Meh, looks like the lower TTK adjustments won't appear until the next big patch :/

I know they have a lot of guns to manually balance, but from what I played of it in the CTE, it just felt a lot better, and closer to the TTK of BF4.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Oct 12, 2017, 18:11 Slick

!!! Great zero punc on Cuphead. One of his better ones lately.  

News Comments > CS:GO Dust II Revamp
4. Re: CS:GO Dust II Revamp Oct 11, 2017, 19:46 Slick

I'm glad that the resources at Valve are focused at the very bleeding edge of editing a 20-year-old map.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 11, 2017, 03:12 Slick

NKD wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 23:26:
Detailing Season Pass content before release? Nice. Is this a thing companies are doing now? I usually don't go in for season passes so I don't pay attention to them.

I totally concur, it's such bad form to work on the fucking upsell before they've even bought the car.

I'm all for DLC, expand the player's universe, and even letting the public know that you have a team in place that's working on supporting the game post-launch with content.

But directly telling you what it is, and even trying to sell you on it just screams of poor quarterly reports indicating a fickle population of stockholders hungry for preorder numbers.

And Ubisoft is in a unique position, in that case, considering evil Vivendi is trying to buy them out. That's why you never go public folks. Worth taking into consideration, the game still looks fucking great, Jack Frags made a video that totally got me hyped

News Comments > Blizzard Internship Hints at New Overwatch Project
7. Re: Blizzard Internship Hints at New Overwatch Project Oct 10, 2017, 20:18 Slick

SimplyMonk wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 12:33:
I mean, "unannounced project" could be nothing more than a new Overwatch event they need a bunch of skins or new map for.

Yeah, that was my first thought...

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended
21. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Beta Extended Oct 10, 2017, 20:14 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 19:03:
We know EXACTLY how it will shake out, same as EVERY OTHER GAME TO DATE THAT IS PAY TO WIN/GET STUFF. You got money to burn you can buy all the top end cards, just like all the really fucking cool skins in Overwatch.

TL DR; Convenience shortcuts does not equal pay-to-win.

No, 40% is like for missile lock-on reduction time etc. I don't need to google, I've played the game, and looked over all the card stats. Anything with actual DMG % increase is minimal, maxing out at 7-10%. Again, not too different from other games where you genuinely unlock BETTER guns the more you play.

Also, we do NOT know how this will shake out, as the beta cards/rarity/stats are quite explicitly stated to be for the BETA ONLY. We don't know how it will end up on launch.

And more importantly, we do NOT know if they're going to be selling supply crates for real money at launch. Speculating is just asinine. I already posted precedent that DICE has done this before, where you could pay for kit unlocks and vehicle unlocks for past Battlefield games, in each instance this was NOT active at launch, and only came about months into the game's cycle, as to give people who missed out at launch a chance to "catch up" if they wanted to pay for convenience shortcuts.

Nothing you can buy with real money are items that aren't possible to get by just playing the game. As to how much it costs, when it launches, and how much gameplay time spending $1.00 on a pack gets you, we just have to wait and see. And then you guys can bitch about it then. Still this is not fundamentally different from kit/vehicle unlock packs in Battlefield games past, and the world simply did not end when that happened.

Convenience does not equal pay-to-win. Sorry, it doesn't. Pay-to-win means giving people who pay $$$ BETTER items than can be obtained by just playing the game. APB Reloaded's gold guns you could rent for a month, for instance, had BETTER stats than anything you could find in-game by just playing, THAT is pay-to-win.

3209 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo