Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3209 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
34. Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 20, 2017, 18:07 Slick

necrosis wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 10:31:
Creston wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 10:07:
It seems like a big list, but most of them are small issues for pretty niche setups.

This one, however Closing Application: When closing Destiny 2 on PC, players must close the application via mouse input. Controllers cannot select the in-game button to close the Destiny 2 application. is just freaking nuts.
Who the hell is using a controller in a FPS game on PC?

Actually, Destiny is probably the best-feeling FPS game I've ever played with a controller. Somehow they dialled the auto-aim assist shit juuust right so it's very satisfying, without feeling like you're being hand-held too much.

I'd consider it just to play the game from a couch with 110 FOV and 60 fps, 2 things which are currently impossible on console.

Also consider that the game is 90% PvE content (with co-op), so a controller is fine. I'm not really too stoked for the fucking 4v4 multiplayer zzzzzzzzzzzz. So using a quick-twitch KB+M setup isn't required most of the time.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Destiny 2 Preloads
29. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 20, 2017, 01:29 Slick

KS wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 20:24:
I did not preorder and it started downloading anyway, so I stopped it.

Wait WHAT?

Also, my summary of the rest of this nonsense thread (if you notice I started talking about D2, it was some other witch who decided to haunt me):

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - George Bernard Shaw

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

23. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 19, 2017, 10:35 Slick

SabreT wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 08:09:
My god your full of yourself Slick. Whatís the point of debating something and then shiting over any credibility you have with that disgusting attitude. Everything you said could have been correct, but it doesnít mean jack if your words are considered garbage. As a 3rd party reading this discussion Iím automatically on the other side just so that Iím not agreeing with a person like you.

Well, I should make a point for the record, as a 3rd party you might not know that this bitch has been hounding me for a week on this topic. And intentionally misunderstanding what I'm saying then demagoguing me, painting me as a villain. So that's what I'm up against. I know simply stating this fact (if you care to read it up for yourself in past threads) will probably just paint me as more of a villain for even "talking like that". That's a little trick that people with nothing but poison in their hearts use against their opponents, they can act so abhorrent towards you, that even the act of describing what just happened to you in any detail makes you sound like an asshole. It's very cute, but only works on weak minds.

NOBODY has given me a counter on 2 points:

1) RNG drops have been a part of gaming since gaming's inception

2) Convenience shortcuts have been around for a decade and no one has even blinked.

But for some reason when you combine them together it's the shit storm of the century. We haven't even gotten to a debate yet, as we can't even seem to agree on what the fuck the topic is, or what the facts are. By just stating the above 2 facts is MORE than enough to get my critics riled into a right froth and start rending my words meaningless.

You tell me what I'm to make of it? And I should better defend myself against constant attacks? I'm all ears.

22. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 19, 2017, 10:19 Slick

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 09:10:
Slick wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:35:

Step two: cancel pre-order looking at all the better games coming out this season

I've been bored out of my mind looking for new games to play, what are you referring to that is coming out this season?

Started South park today, pretty stoked, but it's a very mellow buzz, I can't wait to get back into the skies as a Starfighter in the new Battlefront for some adrenaline. That and the new Assassins Creed which looks like it's the first open-world they've done properly.

And JESUS CHRIST. Don't you love my band of groupies or what? They just can't help themselves! They're doing backflips into a mosh pit trying to figure out who can obfuscate the best ^_^ I type concise well-composed sentences, and I LITERALLY get guttural noises in response.

Such a swamp this forum has become. And I'm starting to feel like Yoda alone in the wet, hoping some Padawan will come carry the torch so some light can still permeate through these synthetic wetlands... cause I'm about to fucking up and die in this bitch. LOL

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Oct 19, 2017, 01:29 Slick

I agree, I think that the existing gameplay loops or "grind" are already the highest evolution of the gambling loop that exists today. It can work without even needing a monetary reward!

I'd be FAR more concerned if I EVER caught my kid playing World of Warcraft fishing in a remote village for 7 days straight in the hopes of a 0.004% ice gem drop that he/she could sell on the marketplace for n gold. This is based on a true story, the friend never caught the ice gem, and he fished 14 hours a day for 7 days straight.

So sure, let's have the conversation about addition in videogames, and developers exploiting reward loops in human behaviour. But you have to talk about it honestly, and not claim that it was just invented last week with loot drops. If you want to do the accounting I'm really here for you, but I will not entertain strawmen arguments.

14. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 19, 2017, 01:03 Slick

It's a simple challenge of intellectual honesty. If you can't take me up on it, you simply aren't thinking clearly and have other motivations regarding your attacks towards me.

I can summarize your point of view in a way that you would agree with. I don't think you could do the same to me.

12. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 18, 2017, 22:28 Slick

#Sad

Was my challenge too frightening? Hardly an IQ test.

If being consciously aware that you're being intellectually dishonest is reason enough to flee from a conversation, then I think it's pretty obvious the person has little to offer of value in civil conversation.

I'll leave the invitation open. I could detail Elf's position in a way they would agree with. They couldn't return the favour.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Oct 18, 2017, 22:20 Slick

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:49:
Yeah the problem is these loot boxes are rapidly becoming necessary, not just optional.

What is this nonsense? It's "not optional"? Come on. Give me one example of a full-price ($60 USD) game where you HAVE to spend extra money on convenience shortcuts?

I've spent money on free-to-play games before, where you PRACTICALLY have to spend some money at some point unless you just have infinite free time.

I've spent money on free-to-play mobile games (South Park: Phone Destroyer most recently).

This is totally different from what is essentially an XP boost in a AAA game where you can get all the same abilities/items/weapons by just playing the game. I've NEVER done this, never spent a dime on a game I already bought for $60 for fucking shortcuts. I've never even felt slightly inclined to cheat my way through the normal progression of a game in order to get unlocks faster than other people. And I've played almost every AAA game in the last 20 years.

If you're so impulsive that you HAVE to spend extra money because you HAVE to be first to have all of the things, and you don't want to jus tplay the game normally, then you have bigger issues. And FUCK YES if publishers want to eexploit your obsessive compulsive behaviour in order to give all DLC away to all players for free... then FUCK YESSSSSS keep it coming.

9. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 18, 2017, 22:12 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 22:07:
Slick wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:35:
Step one: pre-order

Step two: cancel pre-order looking at all the better games coming out this season

Step three: be thankful you're not put into quick matches where you're at a disadvantage unless you've paid for in-game shop items.

Ok I can't tell if you're serious or not with Step 3. If you are, do you not get how hypocritical you are?

Take me up on my bet Elf, I triple dog dare you.

You obviously haven't read the big news of the day that I submitted to Blue, about how Activision has gotten a patent to purposefully fuck players into wanting to buy shit in-game with real $$$.

If you for a moment think that this immediately indicts the entire gaming industry against any form of monetization, you live in a tinfoil-hat reality distortion field that no one can penetrate.

Again, take me up on my bet. You will lose.

8. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 18, 2017, 22:07 Slick

Darks wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 22:01:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 21:54:
Slick wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:56:
Ech, I was happy this franchise came to PC, I'm still stoked to play through it eventually. The first one was some of the best fun I've had on a console. I just know that it turns into a grind-fest in the late game, and I don't have the time to commit right now. This will be a good game to revisit in early 2018, once it has a few patches.

Grindfest.... said the guy defending Battlefront II and Star Cards.
You're funny.

Exactly Elf, Hippocrates all of them.

How? Explain yourself.

D1 had a grindy ENDGAME.

Seems to be a different topic from "star cards" which is just another term for an old game mechanic.

Unless your severely porous logic would find incongruencies between not currently having time for a grindy end-game right now, and me not really caring if some people want to pay for convenience of getting shit early in a totally different game?

Is it that inconceivable for a human to hold these two thoughts at the same time?

PICK A SIDE MAN! WE'RE AT WAR! lol, give me a break.

6. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 18, 2017, 22:03 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 21:54:
Slick wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:56:
Ech, I was happy this franchise came to PC, I'm still stoked to play through it eventually. The first one was some of the best fun I've had on a console. I just know that it turns into a grind-fest in the late game, and I don't have the time to commit right now. This will be a good game to revisit in early 2018, once it has a few patches.

Grindfest.... said the guy defending Battlefront II and Star Cards.
You're funny.

Wait, what the hell are you arguing?

You seem to be staking a position that no game has ever had ability/weapon unlocks.

My experience with Destiny 1 is that the END GAME is very grindy. Man, never heard of that before! Must be the first game to ever do that... you should probably write a manifesto about it.

Star cards are just another word for an old mechanic of unlockable abilities. Are you new to gaming?

What exactly am I defending in your words?

In fact, I challenge you to a duel of wits to settle this once and for all, because I'm tired of having you on my ass purposefully misrepresenting my views and demagoguing me at every turn.

I bet you that I could summarize your views in a way that you would agree with, furthermore I bet that I could summarize your views in a better ways you haven't even thought of.

I don't think you could do the same for me.

Care to take that bet?

3. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 18, 2017, 20:56 Slick

1. Re: Destiny 2 Preloads Oct 18, 2017, 20:35 Slick

Step one: pre-order

Step three: be thankful you're not put into quick matches where you're at a disadvantage unless you've paid for in-game shop items.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2017, 17:56 Slick

Cutter wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 13:23:
I worked lighting for the Hip's first CD release party at the Diamond Club in Toronto back in the day. Didn't think they were going to go anywhere, which shows that talent scout or band manager was certainly not in my future as a career. I still don't care for most of their music but Downie was a good guy and I'm sure there are a lot of sad people out there today.

I know a few guys in the club lighting/sound engineer/production scene in TO. You still do that shit?

News Comments > Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction
28. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 18, 2017, 06:05 Slick

Lol, I just remembered in BF3 you could buy Slim Jims (dogfood-grade beef jerky for our non-American friends) that would give you a 1-hour XP boost in-game for BF3.

I don't for a minute recall people freaking out that this was unfair pay-to-win greedy mechanics. These people would get xp faster than me! They'd get access to better weapons and items more quickly! Slim Jims are OP!

LOLOL

Even Space Balls couldn't think up a more ridiculous merchandizing cross-promotion, and I don't remember people freaking out about Space Balls toilet paper.

27. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 18, 2017, 05:57 Slick

I'm not "defending" anything, I'm just trying to parse the hyperbolic vitriol.

It's quite simple, as I've said, and I'm sure I'll say again, possibly in this very thread:

Convenience shortcuts does not equal pay-to-win. DICE have done convenience shortcuts with BF1, BF3, and BF4. No one so much as batted an eyelash, let alone went full "Chicken Little" on this.

The only difference is the random chance of a loot box, which as I clearly said above, can be traced back to the roots of modern gaming with rolling the dice in Dungeons and Dragons. This is hardly a new mechanic, and this is the only variable that changes from BF1, BF3, BF4 and SWBF2.

If the convenience shortcut I can pay real money for gets me the EXACT SAME shit with the EXACT SAME CHANCE to get good shit as just playing the game normally, then there is no scandal. This is no different than a paid XP boost, you just get loot boxes faster. You can still just play the game, and no one will get access to overpowered weaponry or items that are ONLY available to people who pay real money. They can just throw money at it to get them sooner. This is the dictionary definition of a convenience shortcut.

There ARE games that follow the actual pay-to-win formula... giving weapons and items that are BETTER than anything that can be obtained normally by playing the game. SWBF2 isn't one of these games.

so

1) people are mad at loot drop random chance mechanics. Welcome to gaming for the last 40 years.

2) people are mad at pay-to-win. It's not pay-to-win, it's a convenience shortcut, same as many games have and no one ever cared.

24. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 18, 2017, 05:12 Slick

So does anyone who's mad at loot boxes remember % chance drops from just about any game, especially RPGs for the last 40 years? I do.

Just saying.

The whole RANDOM DROPS thing is A PART OF GAMING THAT'S ALWAYS BEEN THERE! But people act like they woke up today and all of a sudden there's a random chance in video games! That's never been there before! It's like these bitches have never rolled a fucking D20 for Christ's sake. WAAAH I'm an entitled gamer, I should be able to get EVERY ITEM in the game I paid for, how dare anyone tell me otherwise, it's always been this way! WAAAAAHHHH.

If it's loot that you can ONLY buy with real money, then it's Pay-2-Win and should be shunned. If you get the EXACT SAME THING that you'd get from just playing the bloody game normally, then it's a convenience shortcut, so "meh", not amazing, not the end of the world. Games have been doing that shit for a long time, this isn't a new trick in the slightest.

19. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 18, 2017, 01:28 Slick

Jerykk wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 22:59:
Open-world Star Wars confirmed.

This isn't really surprising, though. The linear, story-driven SP experience is on its way out. Publishers want you to play their games for as long as possible because it increases their opportunities to monetize. Linear, story-driven SP games don't have that kind of longevity.

I don't know how many single player games you've played where open world = monetization, but I can't think of any off hand.

I think the real reason is to just pad the experience, so you can say it's a "40 hour game". That's the real goal, is so you can fill in all these fetch quests, or collect the whatthefuckevers and boom, you have a 40-hour game.

Gamers seem to feel that the "value" of their $60 is better spent on a padded out 40-hour game, rather than on a tight 10-hour experience. That's just gamer psychology going back years, EA didn't invent this phenomenon.

7. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 17, 2017, 21:39 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 21:12:
NKD wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 21:05:
A little vague about what they are doing instead. Perhaps something a bit more open world?

Open world - check
Multiplayer instead of single player - check
Microtransactions - check
Loot boxes - check
Season pass - check
Shortcut packs - check
Fuck EA - check

Miss Cleo up in this bitch.

But that list kinda reminds me how EA fucked with the Dragon Age formula. I should amend that it's hard to push a single-player linear FPS game. I think it's still very possible to do with an RPG, but good singleplayer FPS games are few and far between already, Doom and Titanfall 2 being good examples in recent memory, and they both had pretty well-fleshed out MP modes.

Dragon Age or Mass effect I think could use more linearity, the open world shit is so meh to me. It just invites a bunch of garbage fetch quests, and the world starts to lose agency. I'd rather see Frostbite being used for very cinematic linear RPG stuff, Like Dragon Age: Origins. Not totally linear a-la FFXIII, but semi-linear like DA:O.

6. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 17, 2017, 21:35 Slick

Waterski wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 21:23:
Slick wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 21:00:
Meh, a stand-alone linear single-player experience might have tanked.

Yeah, cuz all the legendary Star Wars games of the past were multiplayer shooterz with hatz and da lootz.

Dude, it's 2017. It's hard to push a linear single player AAA game, there's a reason why Valve with it's billions of dollars can't be bothered to make HL3, cause that genre/format is pretty dead. And I don't remember hats in any star wars? but point taken.

3209 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo