Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3328 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week
20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 18:45 Slick

Something to consider...

The wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the Battlefront Reddit has the first page littered with praise, and people doing backflips over this news.

Might be worth keeping this in perspective, that people who actually play/care about the game are over the moon at this news.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week
19. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 18:31 Slick

It's funny how people here are still insinuating that there's paid progression.

1) They completely halted paid lootboxes the day before launch.

2) As of next week, You won't be able to purchase lootboxes at all (even with in-game credits).

3) lootboxes are just for cosmetic items, and only earnable through in-game milestones.

4) All levelling is going to be class/hero specific, and you only progress by playing that class/hero.

5) Crafting parts are going to be turned into skill points (1 class/hero level) at the generous rate of 40 CP = 1 skill point in early April. This is a massive giveaway to all the current players. In 5 days of playing I can earn probably the equivalent of 100 levels.

It's been 4 months since launch, and they've completely changed the progression system. Which is exactly what fans asked for. Now that they've delivered, your first instinct is "too little too late", or "this is garbage bullshit anyways".

WHY do they even try to bother pleasing people like you? I'm fine keeping the progression the way it is, where I have 50+ epic tier cards and no one else does cause it's hard to earn them.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

News Comments > Valve Plans to Make Games
42. Re: Valve Plans to Make Game Mar 10, 2018, 04:20 Slick

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, it's hard as fuck to get a product on shelves in a big box store. There is an arduous review process, and the fail rate is north of 98%. As opposed to valve where the fail rate is 0.1%

Software IS slightly different though, A comparison could be made to Android, or the PC platform in general.

Still, if your entire revenue model is just a storefront, and you don't have to pay for any development of the products you sell, you should be able to review them to make sure they work.

We're not talking about subjective "fun quotient" like Tipsy suggests, we're talking about broken ass games. Goat Simulator was a game that worked, there wouldn't be any problem listing it on the store. A review doesn't mean judging the subjective qualities of games, but the objective qualities of games.

If the game provides a reasonably well-rounded experience, the content doesn't matter. If however, the game is essentially an unfinished flash browser plugin, then it should *probably* be held back.

Not having a live chat or call center for their millions of customers is one thing (For Valve issues, not in-game issues, that would have to be handled by the devs/publishers of the games themselves obviously), but not even having the most basic review process just further leans on free crowdsourcing.

Valve was built by crowdsourcing unpaid talent, from user reviews/2-hour refunds, to the mod community. Most Valve games are just mods that they bought the rights to:

- Dota 2
- Portal
- Team Fortress
- Counterstrike
- Garry's Mod
- Left 4 Dead
- Day of Defeat
- Ricochet

ALL mods or taken from other people's work.

The last ORIGINAL IP that valve has come up with is Half-Life in 1998. That was 20 years ago.

19. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Mar 9, 2018, 12:32 Slick

Sorry, but you guys clearly have zero idea how big box retail works:

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-sell-to-walmart-and-other-big-box-retailers-2948331

However, competition to become a Walmart vendor is fierce; in 2004, “about 10,000 new suppliers applied to become Walmart vendors.

Of those, only about 200, or 2%, were ultimately accepted” (Gwendolyn Bounds, “The Long Road to Walmart Shelves”,The Wall Street Journal Online).

It's FUCKING HARD to get a product into the big box stores, and there an incredibly arduous process of review and testing for your product and your company.

I also have first-hand experience with this in my business. Big box retail is one of the hardest walled gardens to enter. Would you really think multi-billion dollar companies will just sell anything you give them without checking it out?

15. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Mar 9, 2018, 11:45 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 11:35:
Slick wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 11:20:
Efflixi wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 10:57:
I'm not saying Valve needs to review every single title under the sun

I am.

If they're going to take a %30 cut for zero investment in the game's development itself, then they can sure as hell hire some people to actually review what they're selling before they slap a sticker on it and push it out the door.

Most people who own stores like to have some idea of what they're selling.
WalMart/Amazon/Target/Sears/Safeway/Kohls/Ad Nauseum don't review the products or games they sell. But Steam should be different, amirite.

Are you kidding me?

You think that every product they sell isn't reviewed?

Have you read accounts of how hard it is to get your product listed at Wal-Mart?

11. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Mar 9, 2018, 11:20 Slick

Efflixi wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 10:57:
I'm not saying Valve needs to review every single title under the sun

I am.

If they're going to take a %30 cut for zero investment in the game's development itself, then they can sure as hell hire some people to actually review what they're selling before they slap a sticker on it and push it out the door.

Most people who own stores like to have some idea of what they're selling.

9. Re: The Battle for Star Control Continues Mar 9, 2018, 11:07 Slick

Oh jesus.

In other news, Giant Oil Conglomerate decides they might want to get back into the oil business.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Final Beta
1. Re: Sea of Thieves Final Beta Mar 9, 2018, 11:05 Slick

You know, they could just say "OPEN BETA" and clear up a lot of fuss. DLing it now.  

News Comments > The Division 2 Announcement and The Division Support Plans
8. Re: The Division 2 Announcement and The Division Support Plans Mar 9, 2018, 03:38 Slick

Sempai wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 02:02:
If it's staying in NYC i'd like to see a large and detailed Central Park area.
I'd like it to compete with Destiny, so vehicular travel of some sort, possibly other cities? London and Tokyo would be great.

Always wanted to see Central Park, pretty sad that never made it.

I doubt we'll see vehicles, as the engine is very tuned for walking/running speed. Compare it with a Ubi engine like the one in Watch Dogs 2 that's built for fast texture streaming when zipping around a city, the visual fidelity at any one moment is still beautiful, but far lower than The Div.

News Comments > The Division 2 Announcement and The Division Support Plans
5. Re: The Division 2 Announcement and The Division Support Plans Mar 9, 2018, 01:57 Slick

Nighthawk wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 23:19:
I know a lot of Canadians would love to see Vancouver or Toronto crash and burn....

Montreal would also be cool, it's not as vertically built up, but there's a lot of cool districts, and just having the old city in a game would be a nice contrast to the shiny new skyscrapers.

But yeah, Toronto or Vancouver would also be excellent. Has there ever been a game that's made an honest attempt to create a large Canadian city? I always hoped that GTA would do one eventually, until it was clear that they only do 3 cities. Then I figured that Ubisoft would take it on with Watch_Dogs, but no. There have been many US cities in different eras, and a few European cities too... I don't think a Canadian city has ever been attempted.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 15:29 Slick

And kids playing Cowboys and Indians in the 1950's were really just running a racist extermination simulator!  

News Comments > White House Games Summit Details
16. Re: White House Games Summit Details Mar 8, 2018, 13:37 Slick

Crime rates going down

Game sales going up, up, up!

Forbes article explaining my exact point in detail

13. Re: White House Games Summit Details Mar 8, 2018, 13:07 Slick

Also, they just need one person to bring a big white bristol board chart showing how violence has been going down steadily for the last 25 years. And then show a second chart that shows video game sales going steadily up for the past 25 years, and then just slam their fists on the desk and ask "Any questions!?"  

12. Re: White House Games Summit Details Mar 8, 2018, 13:04 Slick

The best thing that could come from this is that the current ratings system is actually enforced.

Hear me out.

I'd rather my 18+ game be actually targeted at people who are 18+, rather than just mindless kiddie shooters with lots of violence. I have this dream of a world where 18+ means games like The Witcher that are actually written for adults. Not written for teenagers, but with violence.

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
8. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 12:59 Slick

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 12:11:
Why don't they put some actual, real content into the first one. The map is great and they could do so much more with it. The game lacks content. Fighting the same group of guys over and over again gets lame after 5 minutes. They missed a major opportunity to do something really exciting with The Division. MMOs learned long ago that it doesn't matter how big the game world is. If there's nothing to do in it it sucks.

They added a bunch of free post-launch content, and the DLC was really good. But I know what you mean.

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
7. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 12:54 Slick

I'll buy this regardless, but JESUS GODDAMNIT they'd better not have fucking client-side everything for multiplayer. You can still just use cheatengine to mod all your stats like you would for a fucking singleplayer game. Also, more than 24 players per server!!!

Pretty hyped tho, the first month of this game was amazing before everyone figured they could hack without consequence.

News Comments > Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage
23. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 23:57 Slick

Silgurdar wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:01:
Why do you need active Internet connection to use the Oculus Rift? It's same as needing one to use a monitor...

Why would the Facebook Facemonitor need a constant active internet connection to even work? hmmmmmm...

BTW There's a great article on FB in this month's Wired magazine.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
1. Re: New AMD Drivers Mar 6, 2018, 10:42 Slick

FFXV has gameworks, digitalfoundry saw pretty awful performance coming from AMD cards on this game... although even a 1080ti can't do 1080p@60, so it's kinda a shit show. Can't wait to see the updated reviews on the graphics after today when the patches have pushed out.  

News Comments > 0°N 0°W Launches
12. Re: 0°N 0°W Launches Mar 3, 2018, 00:44 Slick

Orogogus wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 20:15:
Slick wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 20:07:
Wouldn't 0 degrees north make the degrees "west" redundant? Seems that it would be at the pole, so it could be 0, 10, or 100 degrees west, and they'd be the exact same place.

Zero degrees north would be at the equator, not the pole, wouldn't it? The pole would be 90 degrees north.

Nobody knows

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 2, 2018, 21:22 Slick

Zoom wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 21:09:
Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 11:36:
Liberal totalitarianism
I think i've read a lot of shit in my life but that takes the cake really ? Can you read that out loud without laughing ?

BTW Le Pen is openly xenophobic, and promotes a neo-nazi ideology. Posting these was just a means for her to stir up hate and dissent. Which people like you seem to relay quite well...

I actually agree with Cutter on this one, strange times we're living in.

The idea of going to jail about reporting facts, is ridiculous. Some people want to just put their heads in the sand on this one...

If she was fabricating or doctoring these videos to incite madness, that would be one thing, but these images are real, and well-documented. Why aren't you angry about that?

If only the regressive left considered the actual real acts being perpetrated against innocent people as the real evil, instead of reporting on it... strange times indeed.

3328 Comments. 167 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo