Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3574 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2018, 16:51 Slick

AHAHAHAHAHAHA  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 8, 2018, 16:39 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 8, 2018, 15:35:
BF5 - Snowflake edition ;p

It's pretty broken right now, I can't remember what it was bleeping for me the other day, but I'll just say it's the word "the" because it was about as silly.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

News Comments > Battlefield V Beta Opens
39. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2018, 16:33 Slick

Read an article the other day that did a 5-year study on empirical evidence about what drivers broke what, and AMD's have been winning the stability prize almost 2-1 over nVidia. I think like 17% of big green's drivers have broke shit, whereas like 10-11% of AMDs broke shit.

If I find that article again I'll post it.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
2. Re: Saturday Previews Sep 8, 2018, 16:14 Slick

Uhhhh... What?

Also... Support can't build "wherever" they want.

34. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2018, 01:17 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 15:49:
Slick wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 13:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 08:49:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 08:18:
Slick wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 06:19:
You're joking right? "Its hard to know who to shoot at cause of the skins"??
It's happened to me once or twice.
It's happened to everyone and anyone who says they haven't done it or it hasn't happened to them just doesn't realize it.
Being color blind makes it even worse. Friendly fire isn't

Maybe I'm just special?

Literally never happened to me once that I can think of in an FPS game. The reaction and decision to fire happens much faster than if I ever bothered to see what I'm shooting at. Infact, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what class I just killed in almost any instance, unless I'm seeing their profile and see the silouette of their gun clearly. But yeah, I'm mostly seeing outlines.

*scared child's voice* I see hitboxes.

Except the outlines are identical for all... you shoot on markers, not on enemy outlines Something they said wasn't going to be a thing, except it is yet again because if everyone has a marker who is friendly then all enemies also have a marker...

I mean i only see the outline of a human form as a target, i don't process any colour or design detail before i'm shooting or not. after i kill them i have a chance to see what they look like. maybe "outline" isn't the right word, but i think you know what i mean. It all happens way too fast, nobody is trying to look for a nazi uniform or not to see if they're going to shoot, the UI very clearly shows who's an ally, and you can infer then who isn't. it's pretty simple.

33. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 8, 2018, 01:15 Slick

Retired wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 21:32:
Slick wrote on Sep 7, 2018, 13:52:
It's happened to everyone and anyone who says they haven't done it or it hasn't happened to them just doesn't realize it.

Maybe I'm just special?

Literally never happened to me once that I can think of in an FPS game. The reaction and decision to fire happens much faster than if I ever bothered to see what I'm shooting at. Infact, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what class I just killed in almost any instance, unless I'm seeing their profile and see the silouette of their gun clearly. But yeah, I'm mostly seeing outlines.

There are also color blind mode settings. 4 of them. Helped a lot for me.

Totally.

I like that there's an option to design custom colours too, super easy to make it very easy to ingest.

29. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 7, 2018, 13:52 Slick

Maybe I'm just special?

24. Re: Battlefield V Beta Opens Sep 7, 2018, 06:19 Slick

How about anyone who has a blue or green dot and their name floating above their head is an ally, anyone else is an enemy. Have you played FPA games before? With the fast ttk in bfv especially engagements are over is less than a second. Are you seriously telling me you had time to wonder about the jacket they're wearing? Or their facial scar?

You see a silhouette of a human and when there's no friendly name over their head (or minimap icon) you shoot, they shoot, and in about 750 milliseconds one of you is dead.

Strawman argument.

8. Re: Battlefield V Beta Opens Sep 6, 2018, 15:00 Slick

Movement is soooooo good. Also, the unlock/upgrade system is deep.

What is happening!?

#notmybattlefield

News Comments > Battlefield V Open Beta Preloads
6. Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Sep 4, 2018, 22:36 Slick

Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2018, 18:18:
inveigle88 wrote on Sep 4, 2018, 18:12:
Reject all forms of Cultural Marxism.

I prefer to resist stupid buzzwords (especially those that originated in white supremacy) that are frequently used by easily offended snowflakes that are so terrified of women that putting one in a video game makes them boycott.

So I was talking g with an old battlefield friend earlier... Guy I've known for over 10 years... And well, I honestly don't think well be speaking much after he wrote this straight-faced:

"my problem is why they did it, not that they did it, and really their response is what made me a bit tilted.† women don't play bf, sjws don't play bf, vegan soy boy third wave feminists don't play bf, we play bf, level headed normal guys who just want to have a really kick butt murder simulator"

Yeah... The world seems to be in a race to the bottom...

News Comments > Battlefield V Chat Will Have Profanity Filter
8. Re: Battlefield V Chat Will Have Profanity Filter Sep 3, 2018, 02:20 Slick

What about an intuitive way to mute individual squad members in VoIP? I don't want to disable VoIP for the whole game.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 21, 2018, 19:13 Slick

Nailed it.  

News Comments > NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month
68. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 21, 2018, 17:02 Slick

It seems like this will be a huge win for CG producers, but not REAAAAAALLY for gamers.

Although I have to say, playing Battlefront just at ultra settings... all the screen-space reflections are SO DISTRACTING! LOL, I can't imagine what it would be like if they were all ray-traced. But those maps, specifically the indoors on Starkiller base and Death Star II are just insane with the reflections and lighting trickery already.

64. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 21, 2018, 13:54 Slick

Word to the wise:

I just sold my 1080 for $550 CAD, and bought a 1080Ti motherfucking MSI SEAHAWK edition for $750.

For a $200 upgrade, I've basically gotten the meat of what an upgrade to Turing would be for me minus the ray tracing.

My local craigslist (kijiji) is FLOODED with 1080Ti's. Those people who always have to have the best of the best all just preordered and put their cards up for sale in the last 24 hours, it's a buyers market.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2018, 16:57.

60. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 21, 2018, 08:47 Slick

Drop their prices!? No, you'd better drop your pants, and forget the lube lucy I'm coming in dry!

It's all about the 7nm TSMC shrink, which we already know nVidia has partnered with (specifically the 7nm).

And all indications are that AMD will beat them to the 7nm punch. nVid will have to step on their toes to trot out the die-shrink refresh (with the 2+Ghz clock speeds the leaks indicated), cutting the life cycle of the 20 series to probably less than a year. No wonder they pushed the Ti out the gate at the same time as the 2080. This is a cash grab. Don't be fooled.

58. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 21, 2018, 08:31 Slick

I found a video breakdown that crystalizes my thought perfectly. 80% price hike for 10% boost. Just a quick cash grab for the suckers with lots of dollars but no sense. Everything about the presentation felt like a huckster used car sales pitch, which is a shame considering how cool raytracing is. HYYYYPE!

It's like PhysX, except way harder for developers to implement, and way more expensive for the 1% of the game's playerbase to buy. Sounds like a winning formula!

The only working title they had to show off couldn't hit 60 FPS @ 1080p with raytracing on on the Ti. And it's thought that the game wasn't even running at max settings.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2018, 08:41.

52. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 21, 2018, 02:07 Slick

I don't even care about 4k. Those 4k 144hz Monitors are $2k. I'm waiting for 240hz 1440p.

the pixel count from 1440p to 4k is more than 2x, and the games simply aren't built for true 4k. LOD will make you dissapoint. You can make out all the subpixels on the shitty looking tree sprite in the distance that the game assumed was going to be blurry.

1440p feels like the sweet spot until the next console gen which will actually start turning around 4k from-the-ground-up projects.

I'd drop $ if they could get me into the 240hz club @ 1440p. But We haven't seen benchmarks.

Was watching Deadmau5's twitch stream, he's running a 2080ti playing pubg. He says it's not a huge leap from a 1080 ti, and that's what we all suspected. I want the 2x FPS multiplier to hit 240hz so I can quick-scope like shroud

48. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 22:36 Slick

so PUBG is probably the biggest game getting the RTX treatment (Sorry BFV, but you'll fuck it up somehow).

I can't help but wonder what tactical advantage someone with raytracing would have, if there's a light source and they can track player reflections.

PhysX didn't give anyone an advantage in anything, it was just more eyecandy. Was never really used in PvP (other than that first game when it was still hardware), mostly SP and Boarderlands.

But BFV and PUBG are competitive online shooters. This has got to raise the question of how much of an advantage it will bestow upon their owners.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2018, 04:04.

44. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 19:37 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 19:30:
I wonder if RT will be like PhysX: a cool gimmick, but hardly essential.

People are already calling it "PhysX 2.0"

40. Re: NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month Aug 20, 2018, 18:18 Slick

theglaze wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 18:14:
Slick wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 16:38:
For anyone who missed it... THIS is the only reason

Yes, that is cool... but I donít play BF in slow-mo looking at puddles!

And me being slightly competitive in FPS games, all of that extra movement from reflections will have a direct impact on the ability/opportunity to spot enemies, so Iíd probably turn it off in multiplayer

It was slo-mo with very slow pans IMO to mask the fact that it was running at 20 FPS.

And raytracing could actually give you an advantage when it comes to seeing enemies. If one's creeping behind cover beside a shiny car, you'd see movement where they would see nothing.

3574 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo