Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3471 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield V Closed Alpha Tomorrow
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2018, 10:09 Slick

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 08:00:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 03:54:
Slick wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 01:23:
I got into the alpha! Will be streaming tommorow morning.

Fucking Millennials

I'm so triggered right now.

I'm '82, so some call me a millennial, some don't. But I hate the term, as it lumps me in with some serious fuckwads.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield V Closed Alpha Tomorrow
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2018, 01:23 Slick

I got into the alpha! Will be streaming tommorow morning.  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Free
8. Re: Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Free Jun 27, 2018, 17:00 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 15:26:
aka_STEVE wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 14:01:
dedicated servers vs. not allowing them

When are the guys deciding shit like that gonna catch back up & realize PC players want games running dedicated servers.

edit: Battlefield 1 does run on dedicated servers, just not private ones the last I played. someone also inquired before if Battlefield 5 would have a server browser and a dev confirmed that it would.

It's a problem though because private servers are rife with abuse, admins playing god and clans team stacking against unsuspecting players.

Of course if you're in a clan you want to play together, you're all kitted out on teamspeak and implement teamwork set to level 9000. It may not be cheating but it's really abusive to be on the receiving end.

Yes, a good distinction to make re: dedicated servers as opposed to P2P.

BUT.

I miss having servers with admins so you could FUCKING BAN HACKERS. Oh my fucking gawwwwd, Battlefront is on sale again, so there's lots of new players, and lots of people willing to test out hacks cause it's only a $20 investment to lose. And jesus christ, they NEVER get banned. They openly gloat about hacking. It's like 1 in every 3 servers I visit now... OMGZ THE MADS.

7. Re: Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Free Jun 27, 2018, 16:58 Slick

I played this expansion recently, even though I got the dumb pass I lost interest in this game pretty hard after the second xpack.

If memory serves this is the one that has this huuuuuge upen naval map around a big island that is inaccessible, and there's lots of boats, each side gets a behemoth, and there are playable destroyers, oh and dirigibles! you can go all steampunk. That map was genuinely fun, reminded me wake island with triple the vehicles.

6. Re: Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Free Jun 27, 2018, 16:56 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:28:
Timmeh wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 11:20:
logged in on PC

searched for a server with players on it... after about 15 min of trying different combinations of filters.. finally found one.

thats pretty pathetic.

Indeed... BF4 on the other hand, all full

The troll is strong with this one. I haven't been able to find a Naval Strike server in BF4 for 2+ years. That shit was a ghost town 3 months after it dropped.

This is the fallacy of the season pass, or any monetized content pack. A year after launch (or just months) you'll only be able to find vanilla servers.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

News Comments > PUBG Drops Fortnite Lawsuit
2. Re: PUBG Drops Fortnite Lawsuit Jun 27, 2018, 11:26 Slick

Retaining an army of lawyers to file the suit: $15,000,000

Generating bad pub(g)licity for yourself while casting your direct competition as the aggrieved victim: Priceless

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
58. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 15, 2018, 02:04 Slick

Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 19:42:
Just for the record, I was not saying that Windows 10 was a shitty OS. I was referring to MS exclusivity regarding it and their games along with DirectX exclusivity.

Although I really don't like the sneaked in updates when I turn my back. Why the hell are you asking me permission for some updates and then totally ignoring my opinion for others MS?

Ahh, I see now how I misread your earlier quote.

In principle I think the idea of getting everyone on one OS like Apple has been doing for the past decade+ is a pro-consumer, pro-developer move to make. The problem is that Win10 has some serious quirks re: updates. I personally don't care, I have a google home that spys on me 24/7, and I'm pretty sure my Chinese phone is sending all my data back to China HQ, so just having Win10 updates set to "sure" is the least of my worries. I can see how it would irk some people, but I just don't have time to give a shit about it.

*Also I'd like to state that for the record I still want to punch Phil Spencer in his punchable face with that shit-eating grin whenever I see him on stage... but I've been following what he's been doing since he took the reigns, and he's actually turning the ship around. He's like the Obama of the gaming world, he inherited a fucking mess that was none of his doing, and he's slowly turning it around. So I don't know, I know they all lie, but I've come around to giving him, in particular, a modicum of faith, or at least the benefit of the doubt. He certainly turned things around with MS's E3 conference this year, which was widely heralded as superior to Playstation's. That's no small feat. So I hope when he's indicating that he sees that PC gamers don't really give a fuck about Xbox branded shit, that he's probably at the least sincere, and he's probably figuring out how to turn that around too.

Someone on here once said that he has the face of a hybrid between Jon Stewart and Mike Rowe from "dirty jobs", and I can never get that out of my mind now whenever I see him... but I've started to see him as more human overall.

38. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 15:44 Slick

Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 14:49:
Slick and several more people on here are acting like MS hasn't done this shit already!

Fallout 3 on Games for Windows Live sure was lovely right? The Arkham games on Games for Windows Live were divine weren't they? I'm sure we all lamented when GFWL got removed from these and Red Faction Guerilla.

This has nothing to do with wanting MS to sell through some one else's store, it has to do with the fact that they keep proving they are shitty at managing their own. And to answer your questions Slick, I do not buy through Origin or play EA games pretty much ever because Origin itself keeps flagging my geographical location incorrectly and charging me stupid extra.

If you want to use the wonderful Windows store, go ahead. I, on the other hand, have no interest and don't want the bother.

The shitty OS and DirectX exclusivity is yet another reason for me to take a step back from this. Jesus Slick, do you just post for the sake of being the contrarian?

I mean I honestly have no idea why I should give a flying frak about poor, downtrodden MS taking whatever hit the other digital stores charge. I'm a consumer. I consume what is best for me. Others have that right and I'm fine with people who use Origin or the Windows store, it just won't be me. And from the looks of things, I'm not alone.

First of all, I like that you said my name 3 times in your post. It's where I draw my power from. I'm like beetlejuice, only less handsome.

Anyways, to your points:

1) I never said their store wasn't shitty, infact I've offered evidence of how shitty it is. That being said, it has improved since the days of GFWL. They're like a big dumb dinosaur, they're slow, but they're learning.

2) There's no love lost for a giant megalithic corporation. I'm just refuting the line that people (one in particular in this thread) say that they'll only buy from Steam. The irony of only buying from one multi-billion $ corp over another is usually lost. My point has always been that devs/bankrollers have the right to sell their own wares. If people GENUINELY want the product, then the store they buy it from shouldn't be too much of an obstacle. If it is, then I'd argue that they didn't REALLY want it that badly in the first place.

III) Also, that sucks about your Origin woes, I never heard of that bug. I know that all the stores have different region pricing. You can always try a VPN or just get a key from a grey-market site like Kinguin. But again, I'd be willing to bet that you prooooobably don't really want to play any of EA's games that badly

D) Windows 10 isn't a shitty OS. It's the best OS for gaming, and I like playing games. Sooooooo that's pretty much a non-starter. Also, DirectX has it's pros and cons, it saved the PC gaming industry from a fragmented scenario and did a better job than OpenGL. If Vulkan gets traction I'm all for that too. I don't really give a flying fuck to be honest. What game doesn't use DirectX? DX12 actually has alot of that good low-level shit developers have been wanting after seeing it with Mantle. The holdup is mostly nVidia with zero fucks given to Async compute, and developers not wanting to re-invent the wheel mid-console cycle. Around 2020 we'll see DX12 take off if Vulkan doesn't beat them to it (they won't), and then we'll see some shit. But really, who the fuck cares about APIs? And how is that a contrarian view? I have actual contrarian views you know... just enjoying PC gaming isn't one of them.

37. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 15:29 Slick

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 14:59:
Slick, you're the one missing the point here. Phil has said this how many times now? Half a dozen or so over the last decade or so? Every couple of years he trots this exact same shit out. How they've dropped the ball but this time they're really gonna' make it work finally! Yeah, this is the one. This time it's really gonna' happen!

'Don't leave me, baby! I swear I'll change! I promise I won't hit you no more.' Phil says as he dons his stained and smelly wifebeater. 'Now go get me a beer and a sandwich and keep it down, I'm watchin' the game.'

Yeah, I've been keeping track. My point is their "vision" for the last 5 years or so was to bring the xbox experience to the PC. They already had all these systems kinda sorta built, so why not just start porting the sumvabitches over? Yeah, that didn't work so great.

BUT.

Their store is in better shape today than it's ever been. Like I said, I've actually bought 2 games from them, something I didn't ever see myself doing. It's in much better shape than the "Windows Live" service was 5 years ago, or the "Games for Windows Live" shit 10 years ago. They've been making progress, and to me this announcement says: "we realised that porting Xbox frontend shit to PC wasn't a great idea, we might build something from scratch". And that's not just a good idea, it should be an obviously good idea.

Give them another 5 years and they might have something worthy of their windows gaming audience.

35. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 15:20 Slick

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 13:59:
So, I get that people have complaints about odd behavior by UWP software, and itís especially annoying that they donít have any sort of error log. But they specifically are resistant to overlays and mods to keep them from getting hacked. No one like cheaters, and UWP is intentionally obtuse for that reason. The games are designed to be played online with PC and console players. Iím just happy that I can play Forza Horizon 3 (and soon 4) online with a larger pool of players than Iíd have if it was locked to PC only. Itís probably why the games use some weird network protocol, itís probably the same one the Xbones use.
Itís locked to Windows 10 because they can, and there may even be infrastructure that UWP is reliant on. Itís not *all* just to piss off users of old OSs, but itís likely intended to help entice stragglers to switch to 10.

The store aaaabsolutely needs some work, especially the progress on downloads part. I recently had to reinstall FH3, and the store acted like it stopped downloading halfway thru. My router was quite sure that machine was still pulling piles of data, and yep, eventually it was done. Hopefully MS will actually make the store a reasonably functional place and crap like that will just be ďgrowing painsĒ.

Totally.

And you're right, they're probably using the networking protocol that they developed for the Xbox. If their PC gaming experience frontend is any indication, the backend is probably the same as the rest. Instead of 1's and 0's it's just x's and X's

But I'm all for the closed-garden system for online games, that's the most enticing reason to game on consoles, because you won't see hackers once a day. You also won't get mods. That's the tradeoff I guess. I'm a competitive purist, and hackers make me want to eat my own face. So I say to you, Mr. Spencer, BUILD UP THAT WALL(ed garden). But you know, fix all the other shit too, and built some common features into your launcher so we don't have to worry about hooking into them with 3rd party shit and everyone will be (mostly) happy.

33. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 15:12 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 13:20:
Slick wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 13:01:
I don't know what you guys are complaining about, what he said is actually right on the money, the only shame is that it's taken them so long to realise this.

Oh so you trust his words this time? Interesting. Perhaps one day he'll deliver, but I can't get behind his blah blah, he's come up short almost every single time.

Yes they have a right to do what they want and continue to do so. We can still add our own 2 if need be. As for the store, yeah I think everyone has a fair right to do what they want there, since Steam at least charges a high mark up, unsure about others. But their store is too embedded and limiting overall, no?

If you're referring to the MS store, it's embedded, and very limiting. I bought 2 games from it, and for the life of me I can't figure out where the fuck they are if I delete my desktop shortcut. There doesn't seem to be a "my library" section, I have to search for it like I'm using the android play store then try installing and it's like: "OH WAIT! you totally have this game! nice!" It's garbage.

But I wouldn't count them out, they have unlimited resources, and an unlimited timeline. There's no good reason why they won't turn it into the "app store" equivalent eventually.

Speaking of apps. IMO that's their biggest missed oppertunity. There's so much software sold on PC, and I have to make a new account for each company. just for plug-ins, audio, video, productivity etc. There's no central hub where all that lives like on iOS or Android. If MS was smart and just charged developers a reasonable 5% fee on gross, then they'd take that shit over in no time. And I'd actually be happy to see that happen. No reason I have to make a new account to buy some random whatever from some boutique VST plug-in developer. It's honestly easier to torrent it. That's a problem you'd think devs and consumers would be happy to have fixed.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 5
10. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 5 Jun 14, 2018, 15:06 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 14:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 12:00:
CD Projekt is a woke studio

What does that even mean?

Nobody knows. That's why it's cool.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 5
9. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 5 Jun 14, 2018, 15:05 Slick

You guys see the My Friend Pedro trailer from the Devolver Digital "conference"?

I'm not too much on platformers, but this one looks pretty ninja. Like a sidescrolling matrix-meets-smashTV riot.

17. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 13:11 Slick

Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 12:02:
For me it comes to down the fact that there is nothing I really want from Microsoft except non-exclusivity of their games on the console side.

Just make your games and then port them to PC and sell them through Steam, GOG and other established retailers.

What MS keeps trying to make fit is some kind of return to Windows Live that nobody liked or wanted. Your store will never be the cool thing you want us to believe it is. Stop getting involved in aspects that don't matter to us. We have GOG, Steam, GMG and a host of other, better digital retailers.

All MS has to do is decide if they want PC gamers to enjoy the same games they are putting out for console and if so, then just stop getting in the way of that. We don't want your shitty store and its front end.

I think you're totally missing the point, and I really don't want to have to reiterate my famous walmart analogy right now. Suffice to say that anyone who actually make/bankrolls game development has the absolute right to sell it in their own store. To suggest otherwise is stupid. If I built a product, why should I only be able to sell it through a competitor's store and hand them 30% of gross? It's insulting to the way fair business practise works.

Where you do have a point is that their store if fucking dogshit. They're just trying to port the Xbox experience, and it's soooo bad. But at the end of the day it's just a store.

I don't know any other industry that is so obsessed with what store their products are sold in. If you wanted to buy a Whopper, you'd be a fool to say: "I'm never buying a Whopper even though I really want one because Burger King has shitty bathrooms, I'll only buy a Whopper if they sell it at McDonalds". It makes zero sense in any other context, but for some reason we just act like that's cool re: Video Games.

Why the fuck would Burger King not feel entitled to sell their own signature burger out of their own store instead of giving 30% of GROSS to McDonalds? And 30% is a FUCKING HUGE slice of the pie. 30% of gross can often be more than profit. 30% goes to Steam, err, McDonalds, 30% to development, 30% to marketing, and... 10% profit for the original developers. NICE! Why the fuck would you think it's a good idea for McDonalds to get the same cut of the pie as PAYING FOR YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT? When all they're doing is hosting files and taking payments? It's absurd.

Ugh... gotta calm down... time to go back to the Battlefield Reddit to get my blood pressure down...

16. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 13:01 Slick

I don't know what you guys are complaining about, what he said is actually right on the money, the only shame is that it's taken them so long to realise this.

The "eureka" moment is when they realised that PC gamers don't want to log into a fucking Xbox app, or manage an Xbox account, or go to the Xbox store on PC. They thought that their existing branding was a feature, but it's always been a bug for PC gamers.

For all their fuckups, I'm pretty happy to be able to finally buy a game once which works on my Xbox and my PC (and migrates save files automatically to boot). I think we've all been there at one time or another, debating whether to have to re-buy a game we already own cause we want to play it on a different platform. There's only a handful of games (mostly first party titles) that use this "play anywhere" program, but it's fucking great and very consumer-friendly. Also, it supports cross-play. I play Gwent on Xbox and PC and I can play PvP against people from either ecosystem. I think Forza 7 works the same way too.

News Comments > Black Ops 4 Season Pass Controversy
4. removed Jun 14, 2018, 12:55 Slick

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 14, 2018, 14:33.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 3
36. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 14, 2018, 05:27 Slick

Task wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 17:10:
Slick wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 15:57:
cozying up to North Korea... Most of my faith in humanity is dangling by a fucking thread.

It's a shame about people whining about Battlefield 5 and women in games, but the whole thing with the Caligula being "cozy" to NK is not correct. The whole peace process with North Korea is being driven by South Korea not Caligula, because their people are tired of U.S. belligerence with North Korea. The South Korean president has been the main driver of peace between both sides, especially when SK started to go on their own when Caligula claimed he would "totally destroy North Korea" (I.E. advocating complete genocide).

I have friends that teach in South Korea and there are tons of protesters that want peace. And it's easy to see why, people across the globe can't even begin to understand that they are a common people, with many families in the South cut off from their descendants in the North, and why everything happened up to this point.

I too think the Orange is a Big Man Baby, but people should be happier that South Korea was able to reign him in and get him to do this peace process. Let Koreans find common ground. Moon Jae should be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize, not Caligula.

But anyways, this thread quickly turned from E3 to not E3.

I have family teaching in Seoul. I know about the familliar divide they experience. I don't think that SK orchestrated everything, as they were one of the ones blindsided by Trump's assertion that they'd be stopping military readiness drills in the penninsula alongside Japan.

You're definitely giving SK too much credit, and somehow implying that Trump takes his marching orders from SK. He cares about his own legacy above all else, that much is clear.

35. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 14, 2018, 04:18 Slick

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 16:04:
Slick wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 15:57:

The Battlefield reddit right now is I think the worst I've ever seen on the internet, and I've been to the /b board back in it's heyday...

You made me curious, and this is amazing.

It's a fucking shitshow. Makes the worst days on this board look like a double XP announcement on the Hello Kitty Online forum...

It's ridiculous that after all the genuinely interesting (for better or worse) new gameplay and mechanics coming to Battlefield, that the fact that they're including girls as playable characters is evoking such a response. I hate gamers.

34. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 14, 2018, 03:42 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 02:19:
Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 17:51:
Slick wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 14:14:
You can do PvE multiplayer... not sure why multiplayer = griefing...

Because you can't JUST do PvE. You can't disable PvP altogether.

And then, you get griefing. Always does. Always will. No matter how much Hines and Howard try to pretend that it won't.

So yay, you can only get killed once, and then the guy can't keep following you around and killing you again. Uh-huh. How is that going to work exactly? By a timer? The griefer will just wait out the timer and come kill you again.

Or by teleporting you away to the other end of the map? Great. A griefer will sit on an important spot for a quest, kill everyone trying to do said part of the quest, and giggle to himself as people now have to walk 30 minutes to get back to that spot.

I have a guy at work who is a hardcore multiplayer guy. Like, he won't even touch single player games anymore, they just bore him. He played an hour of the Witcher 3, for example, but he loves Elder Scrolls Online. To him, if there's nobody to beat in PvP somewhere, a game just serves no purpose.

He has also flat-out stated that he enjoys griefing. He doesn't go nuts about it, like he won't just keep fucking with people until they quit altogether, but he's done the whole "cripple a mp character but don't kill them so they have to crawl" part of griefing etc. He also says that griefing sucks, but DOING the grieving is a lot of fun.

I asked him what he thought about Fallout76, and he said he'd play it. He can't wait until he gets his hands on a nuke to blow people up.

Bethesda's belief that this somehow won't happen is fucking retarded. Everyone will be fighting over those nukes, and it will be a constant, non-stop nuke fest.

I heard the original title was:

Fallout: Eve Online edition

Yeah, I thought we were talking about CyberPunk 77, as that's the only article in this posting that directly referenced multiplayer coming to a game. I wasn't concerned with Fallout, that series bores me.

News Comments > LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2018, 01:02 Slick

Acrobatic, sure, on like 10-15% of the available heroes. But I barely consider it a shooter. Every hero has such totally different shooting mechanics, it's just like Team Fortress 2. Each hero is really only best in a very particular situation or range, with a few exceptions.

I just want some "normal" guns, rockets, lazers, whatever... and for EVERY class to have an intersting mobility option. LB does that. I can play any class and have fun. ALSO LOW GRAVITY@! It's like poeple forgot how much fun low-grav servers were back in the day.

In OW there's like 3 or 4 heroes I play and have fun with, the rest are a waste of space. It'd be like playing battlefield and only ever playing sniper, never jumping in a tank, or a jet, or play as support, medic etc. That's the feeling I get playing OW.

Also the feeling of wanting to slit my wrists when for the 400th time I'm screamed at by angry nerds because I picked the "wrong" hero. Fuck right the fuck off with that shit.

3471 Comments. 174 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo