Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3181 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Descent Underground Next Year
1. Re: Descent Underground Next Year Nov 1, 2017, 11:30 Slick

Here's the news I'd rather know about. Overload is made by the actual creators of Descent, they just didn't own the name, Interplay held onto that I believe.

Anyways, Overload looks far more promising IMO from an old Descent player. They hit version 0.7, full launch was supposed to be this winter, looks like early next year now.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 31, 2017, 22:47 Slick

yonder wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 21:38:
I'm soooo glad I can use Amazon Prime on my xbox now. As opposed to the Amazon Prime that I've been using on my xbox lately.

Not sure who this is for, I mean if you have a 4k HDR TV already and like watching 4K HDR content, then you PROBABLY already have the Amazon TV app on your TV, which will probably support the superior Dolby Vision format.

Through the xbox you're only getting HDR10 minus the metadata to make it shine. I know some TV manufacturers don't support this stuff, but who would buy one of those TVs to begin with? Plebs.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

News Comments > EA Financials
6. Re: EA Financials Oct 31, 2017, 22:42 Slick

Jerykk wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 22:23:
BF1 sold 23 million copies? Or am I just misinterpreting that statement?

Who the fuck knows, they could be including people who participated in the beta and didn't buy retail, or people who did the 10-hour Access trial thingy.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best selling Battlefield game though, back in the BF2 days I was just counting the days until the majority of FPS gamers saw how much more fun this franchise is than something like CoD. The numbers tend to reflect this trend.

News Comments > EA Financials
4. Re: EA Financials Oct 31, 2017, 21:11 Slick

Ugh, tax breaks in Montreal, my city. The city's infrastructure is falling apart, it's insane. A new car will last about 1.5-2 years on these roads before needing new shocks and possible axles. But they're giving it away to shit like game studios... when they're not being shaken down by the mob...  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes
14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Oct 31, 2017, 20:53 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 20:34:
I thought everyone was supposed to stop buying EA games about 15 years ago. Ubi around 8. Activision 5 etc. I don't look at them as conduits to my gaming nexus. Sure I may buy their games... at great discount, but again each stand on their own.

Lol I guess "everyone" didn't read the "Pissy PC Gamer Monthly" you've been putting out.

Some of us choose to judge things based on their own merits, and not because we have to identify with a tribe.

BTW This is the part where you tell me that "Everyone" (more and more gamers every day) is a moron, and you're the smart one.

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer
19. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 20:33 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 20:15:
Galactic Assault won't have bot support in Battlefront II, not at release. I think I read something that it might show up in early 2018.

They added bot support to 2015 Battlefront but only for a few maps.

I don't know if it was for all maps, but I've def played bots only on Walker Assault in the 2015 game.

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Oct 31, 2017, 20:06 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 20:01:
Slick wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 19:26:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 18:02:
There still might be a problem, if they tie "in game achievements" to unlocking weapons/cards you might end up with a situation where you won't be able to complete the tasks once the player population drops off.

Yes, the magical balance between squeezing money out of players while not appearing to be greedy monsters.

If there's nobody playing the game, then I think we'd have bigger issues rather than worrying if my grenades have a 24 or 26-second cooldown with the exact same damage, radius etc.

And people hate EA all day everyday. But I don't think you can chalk this up to being "greedy monsters".

Sorry, but "Greedy Monsters" don't give away all DLC content for free to every player. Your calculations of what constitutes evil greed has to take that into account or else your accounting is shown to be severly biased.

I was thinking about Battlefield 1 and some of the achievements that are tied to playing game modes that are dead. There's still life in the base game though.

Yeah well, that's a real concern if they tie achievements to certain modes. The PC community especially suffers from this, as in I haven't found a "Rush" game in BF1 in months. Shit no one even plays the maps from the first DLC pack anymore... This has been going on for years though. I remember buying the new CoD a few years back and within 2 days of launch there was only TDM playlists active, and that was it until the game died.

I'm all for player choice, but I do wish there was some way to gently "force" players to play some of the IMO more fun/unique gamemodes to keep them alive longer.

Shit the "Carrier Assault" in the Naval expansion of BF4 was super cool, was basically the Titan mode from 2142 where you cap missile silos, then have to board the enemy giant ass carrier at the end to blow up the reactor/engine room. That shit was dead after 2 months, and most people never even learned how to play the damned mode, and would just get mad when they lost and didn't understand WTF had just happened, not knowing they have to defend their carrier when it's hull is breached...

9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Oct 31, 2017, 19:29 Slick

Jagacademy wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 17:39:
At least they are trying to make amends. Destiny 2 pretty much said "Screw you peasant" to everyone who bought it.

Lol, yeah... Seems like the only way to get exotic engrams is to purchase these 4-hour booster packs that raise your chance of finding decent loot drops, and then grinding public events. And guess what? The booster packs are purchasable with real money. You can also get them with in-game currency, but it's a very restricted resource (not the general "gold" you use to buy mostly everything else).

8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Oct 31, 2017, 19:26 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 18:02:
There still might be a problem, if they tie "in game achievements" to unlocking weapons/cards you might end up with a situation where you won't be able to complete the tasks once the player population drops off.

Yes, the magical balance between squeezing money out of players while not appearing to be greedy monsters.

If there's nobody playing the game, then I think we'd have bigger issues rather than worrying if my grenades have a 24 or 26-second cooldown with the exact same damage, radius etc.

And people hate EA all day everyday. But I don't think you can chalk this up to being "greedy monsters".

Sorry, but "Greedy Monsters" don't give away all DLC content for free to every player. Your calculations of what constitutes evil greed has to take that into account or else your accounting is shown to be severly biased.

17. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 19:11 Slick

I think it was the patch that they released introducing the "Endor on fire" free map that had support for full bot support on the "Walker Assault" game mode. It might have only been that map when the patch came out, but I think was eventually extended to all of the big 40-man PvP maps.

The "Challenge" stuff I remember, that was on launch, as was just the small infantry-only maps. When they supported the 40-man maps it was with full vehicle support. Getting into an AT-AT and blasting through one of those maps was kinda fun.

Regardless, we've already played the bot support (full teams of AI) in SWBF2 in the beta a month ago. And we've only had a taste, looks like there are going to be several bot modes on launch, possibly more added for free later.

14. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 17:37 Slick

Osc8r wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 17:13:
If only the gameplay was even half as enjoyable as the trailers.

Well, that could be said for just about every trailer out there not specifically showing gameplay.

One thing you have to give DICE, is that they've used the in-game rendering engine for all of their "machinima"-style promo videos going back over 10 years. ie. They don't blow 10 million on a pre-rendered CG sequence that looks NOTHING like the actual game.

Anyone remember the BF2 official trailer?

12. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 17:08 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 16:43:
Slick wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 15:26:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 15:23:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 14:56:
(snip, although completely justified rant)

None of this is any consequence though because it's Star Wars!

PRE-ORDERED!!!!!

If only there were a configurable bot mode...

uhh, there is? I don't know how configurable it is, as most of it was locked out in the beta, but there's definitely several different bot difficulty modes.

The original had a few maps with bots, but the vast majority were multiplayer only. I haven't heard that the new one is any different, have you?

Lol, those of us that played the beta for SWBF2 have already played at least two of the bot modes, it was under the game mode "arcade" which housed all of the bot content.

Again, most of these modes were greyed out "for launch" but the ones on offer contained a full bot mode (ie. 2 teams full of AI, for solo, co-op, or 1v1 against a friend [you and friend each on opposing teams with 15 or so other bots on each team]). There was another that was you being a hero and having a certain amount of time to get X kills. In the beta's case you played as Darth Maul and it was pretty fun for a bot mode.

Again, most of the options were greyed out, so wait for reviews or streams at launch to see the extent of it, but it seems to be launching will a full complement of ze bots.

As for the first (remake) SWBF in 2015, it didn't have any bot modes on launch, but they patched it in later on, about 3-6 months later with some of the free map packs they released. It eventually included full bots for I believe every MP map.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2017, 15:32 Slick

Damn, I've been waiting for 120hz phones for ages, too bad it will eat the battery too quick with today's tech. Still, bodes well for the future of VR-phone-helmet thingies once they get enough juice to run properly. VR on a 60hz display is pukesville.  

8. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 15:26 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 15:23:
(snip, although completely justified rant)

None of this is any consequence though because it's Star Wars!

PRE-ORDERED!!!!!

If only there were a configurable bot mode...

uhh, there is? I don't know how configurable it is, as most of it was locked out in the beta, but there's definitely several different bot difficulty modes.

7. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 15:25 Slick

We haven't even touched on the small maps and mind numbing repetition, there's nothing to give the battles flow to other parts of a map. In Battlefied games there's often variation in where the battle ends up concentrated and it can change just enough to break up the monotony.

It's not battlefield. That's a good thing. People were pissed enough from the first Battlefront (remake) game where they just said it was "reskinned battlefield" (it wasn't, but people were still pissed at this invisible slight).

And I hardly think that these maps are to be considered "small" by any means. Did you see the size of the 40-player map in the beta? It was like 1.5KM just to reach the palace gates, and then another 500m once inside. Sure it's not a 64-player conquest map, but come on, it's a far cry from 6v6 CoD or 4v4 Destiny maps...

If anything you could compare the "big" mode to "rush" in battlefield. A linear progression revolving around objective-based gameplay. Only in this one the objectives change (not only arming m-coms, or telegraphs etc.)

5. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2017, 15:21 Slick

The only thing I feel is the soul crushing frustration when you're endlessly outmatched by the onslaught of a select few being able to unleash god mode through lootbox purchases.

Yeah, I really think you're being hyperbolic here.

Having a platinum grenade star card that cools down in 24 seconds, as opposed the the silver one that cools down in 27 seconds doesn't enable "god mode".

I've never felt that people who pay to unlock all the kit or vehicle unlocks in BF1, BF3, or BF4 before me had enabled "god mode".

You still have to know how to aim, shoot, move, and use your abilities wisely for each contextual situation to do well in these kinds of games. No amount of loot boxes will be able to compensate for that, unless there's an aimbot in one of these paid lootboxes they're not telling us about.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris in December
17. Re: Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris in December Oct 31, 2017, 03:06 Slick

Oooh, okay, I just discovered the "Guided Nightfall" which becomes available when you hot 240 light.

So it's a way to get "guided" by 2 other higher level players through the nightfall. And it costs one "Nightfall ticket" to do.

You can also queue to be the 2 people who guide other noobs through it, which costs no ticket, but you have to be in the same clan.

Ugh, all these arbitrary systems to force me into consuming content the way they want me to. Taking choice from the player is never a good idea. While kinda neat, I'd far prefer to just queue in a public matchmaking to do all this shit. I hate having to jump through all these hoops.

16. Re: Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris in December Oct 31, 2017, 02:38 Slick

Numinar wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 02:35:
Slick wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 22:27:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 22:07:
In the beta I had randoms showing up in my game. I didn't even mess with the menu settings.

I guess you have to buy the super mega deluxe edition for $85 to get the complete game.

Yeah, I also had people showing up in my campaign missions in the Beta.

The only way I got it to happen in the retail version was to plead with some randoms to help me with my last few missions before the campaign ended. Was nice to find a couple carebears.

Also, I call it the "anti-social social game" (very edgy I know) because there's no "all" chat ANYWHERE in the game, even in the SOCIAL areas of the game. I literally have to invite randoms to my fireteam just to be able to chat with them, which is a pretty backwards way to go about it.

I also didn't even figure out how to interact with other players until day 3. You have to press G then F1. You know, the old "G+F1 combo that is so familliar to PC players... Rolleyes

You DO NOT WANT all chat. Evidence: the lobby/plane in PUBG.

Then they should give us matchmaking for all game modes, and not hide the MAJORITY of the content of the game behind forcing us to join with a full fireteam. This is a ridiculous trade-off

So far only PvP and basic strikes have matchmaking.

All campaign missions, sidequests, nightfall, and advanced nightfall is all hidden behind this stupid barrier.

14. Re: Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris in December Oct 31, 2017, 02:04 Slick

So I just got the required 230 light level to do the "Nightfall" weekly hard strike, which I guess is a "heroic" strike. And guess what? there's no public player queue, you HAVE to join it with a full fireteam to have any hope of beating it. It's super hard, AND timed at 20 minutes. Fuuuuuuck.

I've been joining "normal" strikes for the last hour trying to find people who wanna do the nightfall with me, and so far I have zero people who've even chatted back in team chat. Jesus Christ.

13. Re: Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris in December Oct 30, 2017, 23:31 Slick

I did figure out how to change the blocking global whispers to "open" from "closed". Not that it's made a difference, still no contact from anyone I haven't initiated.

And I totally agree that it's entirely to get rid of toxicity, which I'll begrudgingly admit is working.

If they only made it so there was a setting to let me queue up for main campaign missions with other players, then it would be good enough for me. It works for strikes...

And the "heroic" strikes do exist, I'm not sure if they're called "heroic" but you have to be light level 230 just to have the playlist even unlocked.

And I also agree that the game up to this point feels way too easy. I feel like it didn't get any harder when there were 3 people in a fireteam doing a campaign mission, I figured they'd add more monsters to spawn, or at least spawn high level baddies. The only benefit seems to just be making it easier to blast through, which doesn't help the feeling of perma-grind for me. They just felt like a downhill skiing race where my co-op "friends" just barreled through the mission as fast as possible, rarely waiting for anyone who fell behind.

3181 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo