Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3562 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield V in October
52. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:27 Slick

TheEmissary wrote on May 24, 2018, 19:11:
Osc8r wrote on May 24, 2018, 18:32:
theglaze wrote on May 24, 2018, 15:00:
TBH, if any FPS franchise could actually present a solid Battle Royale mode... it's this one!

Massive Maps and player count = A cornerstone of the franchise
Vehicles = Have your pick
Gun-play depth = Miles ahead of the other popular titles
Parachutes = Just pull the cord

Add in artillery barrages or gas attacks to simulate the safe zone, and they'd have the best Battle Royale mode on the market...

I guess we'll just have to settle for the normal BF experience: random public lobbies with ridiculously skilled team hogging the best vehicle (which no one can kill) and the endless cycle of spawn kiling.

Can't wait Blank

Exactly. Once they get disappointing sales and see all the continued success in the BR market hopefully they will wake up and do something different to the same old tired formula they've used for the past 15 years or so.

Battlefield does need innovation for its gameplay modes but it doesn't need to follow the BR trend. There are so many ways they could go such as dynamically changing objectives and scenarios. In my mind its hard to rationalize the existence of a mode that eliminates the teamplay for RNG free for all.

You sound like you haven't watched the Jack Frags video about all the new gameplay... it's like 20 minutes of HOLY FUCKING SHIT about every 30 seconds.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:20 Slick

Beamer wrote on May 24, 2018, 08:49:
I'm happy there isn't much griping about the characters here. I'm not surprised to see it elsewhere, but it's so weird to me.

In Battlefield games, the setting is just about the tools you have, and even then, loosely. Nothing is historically accurate, as you always have weapons not available at the time or the location, and they act differently. And, of course, you're a grunt running around on the ground as an infantryman one moment and the next dashing to the airport to take a plane and do whatever the hell you want with it.

If having a female teammate ruins your immersion, but none of that does, how? And why? The point of Battlefield games is killing a lot of people without being killed, not to be immersed.

I agree fully, but I'll go a step further and defend their notion of being a very "immersive" experience. Accuracy =/= Immersion. I've been immersed in many games in my life, most of them were fictional, or didn't take the lore super seriously. I'd say Quake was one of the most immersive games I've ever played, and it wasn't because of the plot. Just like Battlefield, presentation and gameplay make up 90% of the immersion.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2018, 07:30.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

50. Re: Battlefield V in October May 25, 2018, 07:16 Slick

DangerDog wrote on May 24, 2018, 02:18:
If using a wrench to repair a bridge is just like Fortnite then yeah the ability to build reinforcement structures and repair things is exactly like it.

nevermind that you could do that in BF1942.

Sure could! And BF2.

Also, whoever said "Fortnite is exactly Battlefield just with building"... I don't know what you're on about. The cartoony 4-player co-op loot grinder FPS? I think you're thinking of Boarderlands... with building.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 25, 2018, 04:42 Slick

ItBurn wrote on May 25, 2018, 00:14:
I hate the Rage engine. It looks horrible up close and has crazy limitations.

That's because it was engineered for last gen consoles with 256MB of RAM.

The engine did one thing really really well, that I'm honestly devistated hasn't appeared in other engines. I'm talking of course, about Megatexturing. It did away with the gross tiling of textures that every other game uses. The artists could just create a mountain, with every inch being unique, instead of just tiled "rock" or "grass" textures. Modern games try to disguise this fact with an abundance of sprites like shrubbery and debris, but it's all the same fucking texture that's about 4mx4m. With Megatextures you just blanketed the whole map with one texture that was some ridiculous resolution like 2,000,000 x 2,000,000.

And of course getting this to work with consoles is why the "stuff looked bad up close", because the console was having a heart attack trying to stream that data every few miliseconds depending if you looked left or right. With enough RAM, this technology will change the way games look forever, I hope someone brings it back soon. To me this is just another future tech that poor decision making has relegated to the dustbin of gaming history, not unlike Aegia PhysX

*I remember Carmack saying that he was considering releasing the "ultra" texture pack for PC, but that it was several hundred gigabytes, and back then he doubted anyone would download it.

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black May 24, 2018, 23:00 Slick

That sucks. I liked him, even though I strongly disagreed with some of his views, I still remember him saying that Assassins Creed Unity "looked like utter shit" lol.

Cancer is a cunt. My sister just got diagnosed with breast cancer. Triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma to be exact, it's about as shitty as you could never hope for. She is also 33 years old.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2018, 19:36 Slick

I used to work for a call center that basically offered that same Best Buy service, but through ISPs. So you have a problem with your computer, and you're a moron, so you think your ISP should fix it so you call to yell at them. You politely tell them that if there's a problem with your toaster, you don't bitch out the electric company, then we try to sell them a yearly service where they can call anytime (it's like a gym membership, they use it once or twice maybe). Then you tunnel in using LogMeIn and you run a de-branded version of malwarebtyes lol. Well there's actually a lot of tools me and some agent friends put on our local network to debug shit, but you quickly realise that you never have the chance. You have call times and chat times to worry about, you're overworked and underpaid. You have to be chatting to 4-5 customers online WHILE you're on the phone with someone else, keep them all updated or they get mad. Sometimes I juggled 10 of them. There's no time for your brain to devote to actual problem solving when you have to keep bouncing between cases every 30 seconds. So the service you get with these places is garbage, our main tool was literally the exact same version of Malwarebytes you can get for free. And some other shit that you can also get for free. It's dumb, but a good way to fleece money from suckers if you're a corporation.  

News Comments > Sunset Overdrive PC Listing
4. Re: Sunset Overdrive PC Listing May 23, 2018, 19:26 Slick

I have an xbox, but I this gameplay never inspired confidence in having a good time when using a controller. I don't understand how people play these twitchy-looking shooters on consoles. So yeah, a PC version would be tits. They'll probably release it with cross-compatibility too so that I can get it once for my xbox and PC, which is a seriously cool feature for this console. Doesn't make up for the fact it barely has any games worth playing, but it is a great feature.

Detroit comes out in 2 days on PS4... I'm desperately trying to find a friend to trade consoles with for a couple weeks

News Comments > EA Acquires GameFly's Cloud
5. Re: EA Acquires GameFly's Cloud May 23, 2018, 17:32 Slick

I miss renting old cartridges from my convenience store, and I love Netflix nowadays... That being said I've never really done EA access, cause there's nothing I really want, other than getting that sweet 10 hours early for $5 for a title I'm frothing over.

The real question is how the funds will be dispersed back to the game publishers, as this isn't going to just be EA games I'm guessing? In general I think the way we pay for games needs to change, but there's so many pitfalls... What if a publisher is paid by hours the gamer plays? That would encourage grindy bullshit. But what about the studio that makes a tight 8 hour singpleplayer game that cost 3 years of AAA development costs? This would be the perfect title to rent, but the worst title to actually make money back from? I'm sure there's a smart way forward, but it will take some good ideas.

News Comments > Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free
52. Re: Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free May 23, 2018, 16:32 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on May 23, 2018, 13:29:
Beamer wrote on May 23, 2018, 11:04:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 23, 2018, 10:23:
When games were good

I will take nearly any game today over Unreal and even Half Life.
And don't forget we're picking two legendary games from then, not even the awful rifraff like Chasm: The Rift. If we're doing that today, The Witcher 3 is better than any game from 1998. RDR is better than any game from 1998.

I agree. The Unreal kind of FPS was always a little too simple for me. The corridor run & gun usually got boring real quick.
I bought games like Unreal mostly for the technical qualities. It was amazing to experience the leaps in 3D graphics. Games like Unreal were nice tech demos but I never finished them (IIRC).

Half-Life was the first step in the right direction of a more story-driven experience, then another huge step with Deus Ex and nowadays most shooters luckily have a lot more to offer than just kaboom.

I like open world, I like the skills and perks we get in modern FPS games. Progression is more fun that way.

And in terms of technical advancements, they're not just fluff but they do contribute to gameplay directly in so far as richer, more detailed environments with lots of objects naturally increase the fidelity of the gameplay (more cover options, more vertical gameplay etc.).

I, for one, definitely do not wish for a revival of this super-simple run & gun corridor shooter style. I much prefer the variety of styles and actual stories we are getting in most modern shooters.
There are modern stinkers, of course, but it was the same back then, maybe even worse because the budgets and risks were much lower. We had some real garbage back then.

Maybe the best example for a positive evolution in the genre would be the Wolfenstein franchise. The original Wolf 3D was as awesome back in its day as was RtCW some 15 years ago and now TNO, TOB and TNC.
However, as awesome as Wolf 3D was in its day, I would never want original Wolfenstein gameplay back though.

Since when the fuck do you make so much sense? Your 80th birthday give you some wise old-man insight or something? I'm pretty sure in today's hipster wannabe gamer culture older always equals better. ALWAYS.

51. Re: Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free May 23, 2018, 15:59 Slick

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2018, 11:04:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 23, 2018, 10:23:
When games were good

I will take nearly any game today over Unreal and even Half Life.
And don't forget we're picking two legendary games from then, not even the awful rifraff like Chasm: The Rift. If we're doing that today, The Witcher 3 is better than any game from 1998. RDR is better than any game from 1998.

I also like cars with power steering over legacy models, but there's some to be said to ride around in something from the 1950's for an afternoon.

38. Re: Newer engine mods and Return to Na Pali? May 23, 2018, 08:07 Slick

VaranDragon wrote on May 23, 2018, 07:34:
Slick wrote on May 23, 2018, 06:40:
My favorite books I never read the last chapter...

That's kind of fucked up. Some of the best chapters are final chapters dude

I guess the blanket statement that I never read the last chapter isn't true. I mean I get past the climax obviously, and the meat of the denouement... but I often find myself leaving a good 5-10 pages unread. And it's not even a conscious decision, I just find myself not going back to it, even though I'll hold it in the highest regard.

36. Re: Newer engine mods and Return to Na Pali? May 23, 2018, 06:40 Slick

Jesus Christ, it's like a geriatric circle jerk in this thread. I bet when half of you ejaculate cobwebs come out. Everyone just play the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" game and reveal how old you are already. I'm 35.

And I'm with uhh, whoever said that they enjoyed the gunplay of Quake 2 more. The guns of OG Unreal never really grabbed me (is it just me, or did Halo kind of rip them off?), but the engine was just... well, you know, Unreal. I distinctly remember in the first crashed ship going through a vent that had a back-lighted industrial 4-blade fan that was slowly spinning, and it was dynamically changing the lighting on the far side of the vent. I just stared at it for a good 5 minutes.

I honestly don't think I beat that game, I just wanted to gawk at my surroundings. And this other thing, I don't know if I'm the only one... but when I find something I really like, a book, or a game, sometimes I don't finish them. Because then they'd be over. I don't want them to be over. My favorite books I never read the last chapter...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 22, 2018, 01:26 Slick

Wait, the building mechanic is shallow? !@#$?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2018, 17:37 Slick

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2018, 15:09:
Obvious millennial article if they believe Star Trek today is just awesomesauce. Last good ST series and flicks ended with TNG. It's all been going steadily downhill ever since. Discovery isn't a bad sci-fi show just a bad ST show.

The wife is a looongtime Star Trek nerd, like she grew up on VHS tapes of ToS. She has them all memorized. She hated the new movies (except for the 3rd one, cause it felt more like an old episode), but she REALLY likes the new series, she even ordered a "DISCO" shirt from China. It's packed with a lot of references to ToS that might go over other people's heads (mine) apparently, and she enjoys the departure from self-contained episodes because there was never any real drama because it would all get tied up by the end of 60 minutes... maybe a 2-parter if it was really serious...

She also informs me that the StarTrek fandom is the most self-hating community on the planet

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 20, 2018, 17:33 Slick

EA YOU FUCKING MUPPETS

You fucked over Titanfall 1 by selling out and making it xbox-only

You fucked over Titanfall 2 by releasing it a week away from Battlefield 1

Now respawn is getting the braindrain you'd expect from two amazing games that were half-flops due to fucking retarded corporate execs fucking with them. ARAGH. Titanfall...so guuuuud. CoD... so baaaaaad.

News Comments > Battlefield V Reveal Hype
7. Re: Battlefield V Reveal Hype May 20, 2018, 16:53 Slick

Also, I watched the JackFrags videos about the Phantom program secret dogtags in BF1 last night... HOLY SHIT. SO DENSE. NEED MORE ASPERGERS. I wish I had that kind of time, as I did the one in BF4 for the DICE L.A. skin.

First one

Second one

Third one

Fourth one

Fifth one

I did the fifth one lastnight, as it's pretty easy, can be done solo in about 15 minutes. The rest though... I'm scared to even begin.

News Comments > Battlefield V Reveal Hype
6. Re: Battlefield V Reveal Hype May 20, 2018, 16:50 Slick

rawbelly wrote on May 20, 2018, 14:51:
This may not make sense to many people, but I haven't even felt like playing a BF game since they took out runways. The idea of spawning in a plane is just ridiculous to me. Fighting over planes and strafing runways WAS Battlefield. Back in my day you had to earn your plane! You whippersnappers and your instant gratification

I so feel this.

I remember in BF3 I had some snobby clan ban me from their server for "BASE RAPING" because I had my tank near their uncap and was pwning their tanks as they rolled out. Thing is, I COULDN'T GO INTO THEIR UNCAP!!! It was all out of bounds for me. They had plenty of time to get their tanks safely out of the spawn area, and cover that I literally would never be able to access... whippersnappers indeed! Oh and I used to secretly love being spawncamped on the carrier in Wake Island, unable to make a landing. Because once you finally got through and took a flag it was very cathartic.

Random aside: Anyone play Frontline: Fuel of War? It was a battlefield ripoff from Kaos studios, who made the desert combat mod for BF 1942. Anyways, it was near future war, and one class had gadgets like Johnny-5 from Short Circuit (the OG military version), AND there was no commander, radar or anything that would let you spot people without actually seeing them. So you could parachute into the enemies' airfield, find a REALLY good hiding spot that would take them 20 minutes to find, and just deploy your kill-bot to the runway you'd control remotely, and just stroll up and down the airfield aceing any would-be pilots running for the planes ^_^

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse May 20, 2018, 06:17 Slick

Jaxx wrote on May 20, 2018, 03:45:
maddog wrote on May 19, 2018, 00:57:
I don't see what's wrong with looking at changing the deal, as long as it's done in a legal manner.

USPS has been running at a loss for more than a decade. Amazon pays no federal income tax due to the same tax benefits that Trump put in place.

I see nothing wrong with him asking for more from Amazon. And this is coming from a lifelong conservative.

Life long conservative my butt! Your post is full of contradiction and false info. And before we continue, Iím an Ind that did NOT vote for him.

1. You say they donít pay taxes due to Trump. I didnít know heís been in office for decades! Amazon is just like ANY other business, taking advantage of tax benefits (write offs such as depreciations that each of us have access to if running a business) and loop holes put in place by BOTH parties.

2. They DO pay taxes, both income and B&O taxes at state and federal levels. Why donít you do some damn research instead of drinking the kewl-aid!

3. USPS authorities said they ACTUALLY DO make money off Amazon, unlike other companies they deliver for (junk mail senders for example). So to raise money on a company they make money from already when there are others they donít, makes you sound like you live in Seattle and are one of the Socialist Sawant followers.

Iím so tired of people just spewing info they hear from the cubicle next to them or such without actually educating themselves.

Informative post. Who is this lurker?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 19, 2018, 06:25 Slick

I'd really rather wait for OLED, even though it has problems with burn-in. Those FALD displays can be a big minus for many applications, having used one myself. Plus the response time for those LEDs getting bright and dim is not going to be anywhere near as fast as the LCD crystals doing their thing, so most gamers will just end up turning the feature off. IPS tech has good colour, but it's blacks are for shit.

OLED OR BUST.

News Comments > Black Ops IIII Announced
34. Re: Black Ops IIII Announcement May 18, 2018, 01:01 Slick

Honestly, any of these AAA FPS titles could benefit from axing the SP campaign if it truly meant putting those exact same resources into expanded multiplayer. Most people don't even play the SP campaigns for CoD titles, or Battlefield titles. Those that do will usually only do so once. Think of the resources it takes to make a massive map, with all these AI triggers, cinematics, dialogue etc. etc. etc. that will *if lucky* only be witnessed by a player once. Compared to playing fucking Nuketown over and over and over 300 times across the life of a title.

The problem is they WON'T put those resources evenly into MP, they'll still give out a dozen maps at launch, then nickel and dime the players to buy DLC map packs.

3562 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo