Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3562 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
35. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 15:20 Slick

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 13:59:
So, I get that people have complaints about odd behavior by UWP software, and itís especially annoying that they donít have any sort of error log. But they specifically are resistant to overlays and mods to keep them from getting hacked. No one like cheaters, and UWP is intentionally obtuse for that reason. The games are designed to be played online with PC and console players. Iím just happy that I can play Forza Horizon 3 (and soon 4) online with a larger pool of players than Iíd have if it was locked to PC only. Itís probably why the games use some weird network protocol, itís probably the same one the Xbones use.
Itís locked to Windows 10 because they can, and there may even be infrastructure that UWP is reliant on. Itís not *all* just to piss off users of old OSs, but itís likely intended to help entice stragglers to switch to 10.

The store aaaabsolutely needs some work, especially the progress on downloads part. I recently had to reinstall FH3, and the store acted like it stopped downloading halfway thru. My router was quite sure that machine was still pulling piles of data, and yep, eventually it was done. Hopefully MS will actually make the store a reasonably functional place and crap like that will just be ďgrowing painsĒ.

Totally.

And you're right, they're probably using the networking protocol that they developed for the Xbox. If their PC gaming experience frontend is any indication, the backend is probably the same as the rest. Instead of 1's and 0's it's just x's and X's

But I'm all for the closed-garden system for online games, that's the most enticing reason to game on consoles, because you won't see hackers once a day. You also won't get mods. That's the tradeoff I guess. I'm a competitive purist, and hackers make me want to eat my own face. So I say to you, Mr. Spencer, BUILD UP THAT WALL(ed garden). But you know, fix all the other shit too, and built some common features into your launcher so we don't have to worry about hooking into them with 3rd party shit and everyone will be (mostly) happy.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 15:12 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 13:20:
Slick wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 13:01:
I don't know what you guys are complaining about, what he said is actually right on the money, the only shame is that it's taken them so long to realise this.

Oh so you trust his words this time? Interesting. Perhaps one day he'll deliver, but I can't get behind his blah blah, he's come up short almost every single time.

Yes they have a right to do what they want and continue to do so. We can still add our own 2 if need be. As for the store, yeah I think everyone has a fair right to do what they want there, since Steam at least charges a high mark up, unsure about others. But their store is too embedded and limiting overall, no?

If you're referring to the MS store, it's embedded, and very limiting. I bought 2 games from it, and for the life of me I can't figure out where the fuck they are if I delete my desktop shortcut. There doesn't seem to be a "my library" section, I have to search for it like I'm using the android play store then try installing and it's like: "OH WAIT! you totally have this game! nice!" It's garbage.

But I wouldn't count them out, they have unlimited resources, and an unlimited timeline. There's no good reason why they won't turn it into the "app store" equivalent eventually.

Speaking of apps. IMO that's their biggest missed oppertunity. There's so much software sold on PC, and I have to make a new account for each company. just for plug-ins, audio, video, productivity etc. There's no central hub where all that lives like on iOS or Android. If MS was smart and just charged developers a reasonable 5% fee on gross, then they'd take that shit over in no time. And I'd actually be happy to see that happen. No reason I have to make a new account to buy some random whatever from some boutique VST plug-in developer. It's honestly easier to torrent it. That's a problem you'd think devs and consumers would be happy to have fixed.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 5
10. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 5 Jun 14, 2018, 15:06 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 14:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 12:00:
CD Projekt is a woke studio

What does that even mean?

Nobody knows. That's why it's cool.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 5
9. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 5 Jun 14, 2018, 15:05 Slick

You guys see the My Friend Pedro trailer from the Devolver Digital "conference"?

I'm not too much on platformers, but this one looks pretty ninja. Like a sidescrolling matrix-meets-smashTV riot.

17. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 13:11 Slick

Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 12:02:
For me it comes to down the fact that there is nothing I really want from Microsoft except non-exclusivity of their games on the console side.

Just make your games and then port them to PC and sell them through Steam, GOG and other established retailers.

What MS keeps trying to make fit is some kind of return to Windows Live that nobody liked or wanted. Your store will never be the cool thing you want us to believe it is. Stop getting involved in aspects that don't matter to us. We have GOG, Steam, GMG and a host of other, better digital retailers.

All MS has to do is decide if they want PC gamers to enjoy the same games they are putting out for console and if so, then just stop getting in the way of that. We don't want your shitty store and its front end.

I think you're totally missing the point, and I really don't want to have to reiterate my famous walmart analogy right now. Suffice to say that anyone who actually make/bankrolls game development has the absolute right to sell it in their own store. To suggest otherwise is stupid. If I built a product, why should I only be able to sell it through a competitor's store and hand them 30% of gross? It's insulting to the way fair business practise works.

Where you do have a point is that their store if fucking dogshit. They're just trying to port the Xbox experience, and it's soooo bad. But at the end of the day it's just a store.

I don't know any other industry that is so obsessed with what store their products are sold in. If you wanted to buy a Whopper, you'd be a fool to say: "I'm never buying a Whopper even though I really want one because Burger King has shitty bathrooms, I'll only buy a Whopper if they sell it at McDonalds". It makes zero sense in any other context, but for some reason we just act like that's cool re: Video Games.

Why the fuck would Burger King not feel entitled to sell their own signature burger out of their own store instead of giving 30% of GROSS to McDonalds? And 30% is a FUCKING HUGE slice of the pie. 30% of gross can often be more than profit. 30% goes to Steam, err, McDonalds, 30% to development, 30% to marketing, and... 10% profit for the original developers. NICE! Why the fuck would you think it's a good idea for McDonalds to get the same cut of the pie as PAYING FOR YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT? When all they're doing is hosting files and taking payments? It's absurd.

Ugh... gotta calm down... time to go back to the Battlefield Reddit to get my blood pressure down...

16. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 13:01 Slick

I don't know what you guys are complaining about, what he said is actually right on the money, the only shame is that it's taken them so long to realise this.

The "eureka" moment is when they realised that PC gamers don't want to log into a fucking Xbox app, or manage an Xbox account, or go to the Xbox store on PC. They thought that their existing branding was a feature, but it's always been a bug for PC gamers.

For all their fuckups, I'm pretty happy to be able to finally buy a game once which works on my Xbox and my PC (and migrates save files automatically to boot). I think we've all been there at one time or another, debating whether to have to re-buy a game we already own cause we want to play it on a different platform. There's only a handful of games (mostly first party titles) that use this "play anywhere" program, but it's fucking great and very consumer-friendly. Also, it supports cross-play. I play Gwent on Xbox and PC and I can play PvP against people from either ecosystem. I think Forza 7 works the same way too.

News Comments > Black Ops 4 Season Pass Controversy
4. removed Jun 14, 2018, 12:55 Slick

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 14, 2018, 14:33.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 3
36. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 14, 2018, 05:27 Slick

Task wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 17:10:
Slick wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 15:57:
cozying up to North Korea... Most of my faith in humanity is dangling by a fucking thread.

It's a shame about people whining about Battlefield 5 and women in games, but the whole thing with the Caligula being "cozy" to NK is not correct. The whole peace process with North Korea is being driven by South Korea not Caligula, because their people are tired of U.S. belligerence with North Korea. The South Korean president has been the main driver of peace between both sides, especially when SK started to go on their own when Caligula claimed he would "totally destroy North Korea" (I.E. advocating complete genocide).

I have friends that teach in South Korea and there are tons of protesters that want peace. And it's easy to see why, people across the globe can't even begin to understand that they are a common people, with many families in the South cut off from their descendants in the North, and why everything happened up to this point.

I too think the Orange is a Big Man Baby, but people should be happier that South Korea was able to reign him in and get him to do this peace process. Let Koreans find common ground. Moon Jae should be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize, not Caligula.

But anyways, this thread quickly turned from E3 to not E3.

I have family teaching in Seoul. I know about the familliar divide they experience. I don't think that SK orchestrated everything, as they were one of the ones blindsided by Trump's assertion that they'd be stopping military readiness drills in the penninsula alongside Japan.

You're definitely giving SK too much credit, and somehow implying that Trump takes his marching orders from SK. He cares about his own legacy above all else, that much is clear.

35. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 14, 2018, 04:18 Slick

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 16:04:
Slick wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 15:57:

The Battlefield reddit right now is I think the worst I've ever seen on the internet, and I've been to the /b board back in it's heyday...

You made me curious, and this is amazing.

It's a fucking shitshow. Makes the worst days on this board look like a double XP announcement on the Hello Kitty Online forum...

It's ridiculous that after all the genuinely interesting (for better or worse) new gameplay and mechanics coming to Battlefield, that the fact that they're including girls as playable characters is evoking such a response. I hate gamers.

34. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 14, 2018, 03:42 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 02:19:
Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 17:51:
Slick wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 14:14:
You can do PvE multiplayer... not sure why multiplayer = griefing...

Because you can't JUST do PvE. You can't disable PvP altogether.

And then, you get griefing. Always does. Always will. No matter how much Hines and Howard try to pretend that it won't.

So yay, you can only get killed once, and then the guy can't keep following you around and killing you again. Uh-huh. How is that going to work exactly? By a timer? The griefer will just wait out the timer and come kill you again.

Or by teleporting you away to the other end of the map? Great. A griefer will sit on an important spot for a quest, kill everyone trying to do said part of the quest, and giggle to himself as people now have to walk 30 minutes to get back to that spot.

I have a guy at work who is a hardcore multiplayer guy. Like, he won't even touch single player games anymore, they just bore him. He played an hour of the Witcher 3, for example, but he loves Elder Scrolls Online. To him, if there's nobody to beat in PvP somewhere, a game just serves no purpose.

He has also flat-out stated that he enjoys griefing. He doesn't go nuts about it, like he won't just keep fucking with people until they quit altogether, but he's done the whole "cripple a mp character but don't kill them so they have to crawl" part of griefing etc. He also says that griefing sucks, but DOING the grieving is a lot of fun.

I asked him what he thought about Fallout76, and he said he'd play it. He can't wait until he gets his hands on a nuke to blow people up.

Bethesda's belief that this somehow won't happen is fucking retarded. Everyone will be fighting over those nukes, and it will be a constant, non-stop nuke fest.

I heard the original title was:

Fallout: Eve Online edition

Yeah, I thought we were talking about CyberPunk 77, as that's the only article in this posting that directly referenced multiplayer coming to a game. I wasn't concerned with Fallout, that series bores me.

News Comments > LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2018, 01:02 Slick

Acrobatic, sure, on like 10-15% of the available heroes. But I barely consider it a shooter. Every hero has such totally different shooting mechanics, it's just like Team Fortress 2. Each hero is really only best in a very particular situation or range, with a few exceptions.

I just want some "normal" guns, rockets, lazers, whatever... and for EVERY class to have an intersting mobility option. LB does that. I can play any class and have fun. ALSO LOW GRAVITY@! It's like poeple forgot how much fun low-grav servers were back in the day.

In OW there's like 3 or 4 heroes I play and have fun with, the rest are a waste of space. It'd be like playing battlefield and only ever playing sniper, never jumping in a tank, or a jet, or play as support, medic etc. That's the feeling I get playing OW.

Also the feeling of wanting to slit my wrists when for the 400th time I'm screamed at by angry nerds because I picked the "wrong" hero. Fuck right the fuck off with that shit.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 13, 2018, 23:33 Slick

All the mechanicswould have to be reworked for an open-world BR mode. Everything was built around small team arena combat. Especially with the various different gravity bubbles/zones.

I'm sure it could be done, but it would involve a lot more than just building a big map and saying "HERE YA GO!"

I'm sad that Arena combat is all Overwatch these days, fucking blizzard, and fucking dumb gamers that only buy blizzard products. At least when they do they know that their servers won't get turned off a year in the future...

Fuck. I miss skill-based acrobatic arena shooters. Not this cartoony hero-based goofy shit. I fucking love Lawbreakers, this breaks my heart. Just one more nail in the coffin of gaming culture for me.

19. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 13, 2018, 16:34 Slick

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 16:18:
Yeah but Trump isn't wrong on NAFTA. And he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, looking out for the best interest of the American worker. Meanwhile Canada has the most expensive dairy on the planet and Canadian consumers have been getting fucked in the ass with this bullshit since the 1970s. Point in fact, Canadians generally pay the most and get the least for virtually everything out of every first world country. It'd be nice if for once we actually had someone looking out for our interests. Dairy. Maple Syrup. Cable. Phone/cell service. Cars. et al. Take your pick, we get fucked on all of them.

It's cheaper in the US because of all their government subsidies. No thanks, you can keep that. I don't want the taxpayer to cover the cost of only certain food items. That's why milk and cheese in the states is dirt cheap, and the quality is lower than Canadian dairy (I've lived in multiple cities in both countries, this is my own experience).

What I'm more referring to is the bullshit threats, bluster, and false claims that Trump is slapping tarrifs on Canada because we're a "security threat", then when called on it laughs it off like "what you gonna do bitch?" And then when we're like: "well, we're going to protect our interests, so there will be equivalent and retaliatory tarrifs" then Trump FUCKING LOSES HIS SHIT. And starts shitting on the friendliest country to the US, their neighbor, longest unguarded boarder in the world, arguably biggest trading partner.

Trump declared tarrifs on multiple close ally friendly countries RIGHT BEFORE meeting them at the G7. You know, before he left early before the the boring climate stuff. Then threw a hissy fit and retroactively un-signed the declarative joint document that all the allies do every year. He's a whiney little bitch.

You have to be a real piece of work to pick a fight with Canada, and then fly to meet with Kim Jong Un for a love fest where you give him concessions without asking for anything concrete in return. You have been paying attention to the news, right?

15. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 13, 2018, 15:57 Slick

Spoke with some gamers at my local vape shop earlier today, and the consensus was generally "good on him for not taking any shit" re: playable women in BF V.

The Battlefield reddit right now is I think the worst I've ever seen on the internet, and I've been to the /b board back in it's heyday...

They swear, and yell, and scream, and pout, and cry, and threaten, and boycott, and scream every slur you can think of. Then DICE says: "You can accept it, or not buy it, either is fine." And then these same nitwits say: "HOW DARE DICE BE SO RUDE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS!"

Reminds me of Trump pulling a Pence re: Sam Bee with her potty mouth, and all of a suddan playing the "holier than thou" card like he hasn't said LIVE ON TELEVISION shit like: "shoot em in the street, sonofabitch, motherfucker, piece of shit, grab em by the pussy, etc. etc. etc" But when someone else says something reasonable, it's OH MY WORD! WHAT LANGUAGE! HOW RUDE!

I tell ya, I fucking hate the gaming community passionately right about now. Then you have the leader of the most powerful country on earth fucking with my country, Canada, and cozying up to North Korea... Most of my faith in humanity is dangling by a fucking thread.

11. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 13, 2018, 14:14 Slick

You can do PvE multiplayer... not sure why multiplayer = griefing...  

11. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 13:41 Slick

Just cause they fucked up their launch, doesn't mean it's impossible to come back. If someone like Tencent bought them out, they could have 10 million players by this time next year. Doubtful anything like that will ever happen, but the fact is that the game itself is good, it stands on its own. That's all you really need.  

3. Re: LawBreakers Goes F2P; Ending in September Jun 13, 2018, 11:53 Slick

Wow, they didn't even give F2P a real shot before closing. They put all their effort into a broken unfinished royale clone instead of actually promoting the one game they actually finished, which happens to be quite good for the genre.

The retardation is strong.

I'll reinstall this, it's honestly fun. I hope someone buys it for $5 and manages to give it the release it deserves. A billion people play overwatch, but this can't get 100 people playing I'm betting in its current state... and it's far better IMO, much higher skill ceiling.

News Comments > Battlefield V Video
16. Re: Battlefield V Video Jun 11, 2018, 18:41 Slick

Do we really have to go over this again?

1) random drops have been in games for over 40 years. That's nothing new, and nothing that will ever change.

2) random drops for PAID (REAL $$$) is what's considered gambling, and what's BAD.

3) if you get a random crate of random emotes or skins for every level you progress on just by playing the game then that's not an impeachable offense. Go play Boarderlands or any other loot-drop mechanic game and then let's talk about RNG in drops... Besides, they're not talking about GUN or ABILITY RNG drops, just cosmetics. As long as if you decide to pay real $$$ for an item, you get exactly what you pay for then there's no problem.

ugh... There's so much good going on with this game that it's fucking pathetic that this is what we're talking about, or that there's female avatars... You people need to get laid...

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer
53. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jun 11, 2018, 18:17 Slick

It's just the trailer, I'm sure there will be lots of the game that happens at night.

But furthermore, I'm honestly happy for the shift in tone from the Witcher series, as the Witcher's world was pretty fucking dark. Every village had some awful shit happening, and the "fun" was had mostly by Geralt and his merry band of misfits, not the world itself. Every village was just dealing with a dogshit hand they've been dealt. I can handle a slightly more upbeat tone, even with all the dogshit out there, people still having a more "neon" outlook, even if it's unjustified.

News Comments > JUMP FORCE Announced
1. Re: JUMP FORCE Announced Jun 11, 2018, 18:06 Slick

When I saw this, I could have sworn I saw "Kon", the little stuffed lion character from "Bleach", but then there were no bleach characters in the rest of the trailer.. I'd say it's a pretty iconic anime.  

3562 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo