Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3445 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 28, 2018, 16:28 Slick

So if you pay a monthly subscription, you get to play the MMO earlier, therefore giving you a distinct advantage over other players.

How is this not Pay2Win?

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Open World Star Wars Game Plans?
21. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 25, 2018, 13:59 Slick

Also, the BLASTER BRAIN easter egg seems to just work with any blaster hero lol. I've farmed more than 100,000 credits this way. Event lasts for another 12 hours or so (I think)  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

20. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 25, 2018, 13:48 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2018, 04:02:
Slick wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 23:41:
Also, I made a stupid video of pushing heroes off ledges on the new Bespin map that sucks and no one cares about. WANNA SEE?

https://youtu.be/2xNh4hPfopQ

LOL, looks like you fell quite a few times yourself.

A game that's genuinely fun even when you're losing is a very endearing quality to me.

Also to whoever said they'd only play this if bots all modes splitscreen kids etc...

Just sayin.. there's a WAVE of noobies in this game right now. It's kind of frustrating in HvV as people genuinely don't know how to play the objective, but it's indicative of many people learning the mechanics for the first time. This will be different in a week from now, or a month from now, or 3 months from now. But at the moment it's noooooooooooooooob city.

15. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 23:57 Slick

quick update, it seems to work with Phasma too.  

14. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 23:41 Slick

Right, the progression was royally borked.

Now it feels like a new game again. I can just play Heroes v Villains and pick the toon I want, and level them accordingly.

By the way, there's been a secret easter egg this weekend. If you play with Leia, for every X damage you do you get this "BLASTER BRAIN" prompt and 1000 credits. It's repeatable. I was at 20,000 credits earlier today, now I'm at 70,000 ^_^

Also, I made a stupid video of pushing heroes off ledges on the new Bespin map that sucks and no one cares about. WANNA SEE?

https://youtu.be/2xNh4hPfopQ

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Mar 24, 2018, 23:35 Slick

WaltC wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 12:06:
And here I had thought that FarCry 5 might seemingly be a good game...;)

Oh yous. Why I oughta... Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

9. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 18:45 Slick

When people are still hating on SWBF2 after the progression system update

908 upvotes on the exact same forum that produced the most downvoted thread in Reddit history, otherwise a toxic sludge pit.

Just sayin'... that whole thing has actually been fixed, and wasn't even really an issue in the first place as they disabled paid loot boxes before launch.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 23, 2018, 19:45 Slick

$10 says Trump will try and get this game banned, meanwhile giving them $100M worth of free advertising.

Also, "Kremlandia" is a little on-the-nose, but goddamn I lol'd.

News Comments > EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O
4. Re: EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O Mar 22, 2018, 20:08 Slick

This is the right approach to take.

Traditional AI bots rely on a small map with preset pathing for the AI to take. It's why AI as far back as Quakebots have been able to "seem" passably realistic.

But anyone who played Bad Company 1 knows that once you bring this into an open world, and ESPECIALLY if you add things like destructable environments, the AI can barely make heads or tails of what's happening, as was evidenced by your 3 friendly AI teammates in the campaign.

DICE lamented how hard it was to do the AI back then, and this change towards machine learning is the right move, and should keep Frostbite as the industry-leading engine.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week
30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 17, 2018, 21:31 Slick

Also, yes! Their messaging was SHITE.

Featurelist:

-SWBF2 has no season pass (everyone gets all DLC)

-3x more content than the last one.

That's about it, they pushed the 3x more content, but they REALLY did not even mention the fact that they weren't going to divide the active online player base with a season pass. It was their strongest card that they never played... Also No more random powerups to collect to become a hero, Battlepoints system makes sense, reminds me of ET:QW. Lightsaber play is very satisfying (good physics). Starfighter Assault actually feels like a real mode now, a competant mini-game within the game. And you know lots more. but whatever. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

29. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 17, 2018, 21:21 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 12:13:
I think Slick has a point, what I see is a bunch of possibly uniformed mob mentality. I really think the news is the players had a direct effect on loot-boxes not only in this game but the industry and this game was at the center of this. I'm by no means a SWBF2 tit-for-tat feature expert.

Mob mentality indeed.

If I were to literally spell out the nitty gritty facts, and comparisons to other games which have done much more egregious shit, you would THINK it would clear the air.

NOPE.

It just makes me a further shill.

Steve Bannon being able to harness WoW gamer's wrath for his own political ends makes more and more sense as the days go by.

Facts be damned. This whole debacle has been emotionally hijacked. And you can't talk down fervour with facts.

1) It was never "pay2win" they literally stopped it before the game launched. Only people who pre-ordered who had the 3 days early access could buy crates. I bought some, I've since played the game normally, gotten %100 milestone completion and opened LITERALLY over 1000 crates. The $20 I spent got me about 20 crates. What a waste of cash that was.

2) "P2W" is being used veeeeeery creatively. It's almost as if words have no meaning.

3) THEY'VE FIXED IT! Progression is now tied directly to how you do in that class! They literally couldn't have done better. They starting working within the first days after launch of a new game on how to TOTALLY REWORK IT, and THEY DID.

Did this mean that they're free from sin, fuck no! But Jesus man, I don't know who else you'd treat this way IRL.

"Oh I'm still mad at that mistake you made 4 months ago, then immediately corrected, while ACTUALLY reinventing the whole thing you've made to suit your customers... BUT STILL THOUGH ". Should they have done this from the get go? SURE! But that wasn't what happened.

They listened.

They changed.

------

Gamers mad at "random progression" are super happy. And YES! I put forth Reddit as THE CLEAR CUT CASE.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THAT REDDIT?! It makes this forum look like Candyland with rainbows and sunshine.

That is the reddit that's home to the MOST DOWNVOTED REDDIT COMMENT OF ALL TIME.

THE FACT THAT THEY'RE ACTUALLY HAPPY MEANS YOU KNOBHEADS SHOULD PAY ATTENTION.

When Satan himself goes: "Actually they did a good job" you might want to do a double-take from your pre-conceived "EA IZ BAD ETC." nonsense.

And from the sounds of it, it's Disney that might have been culpable. DICE know gamers, Disney doesn't. Infact it's been revealed that the few times their Devs have been allowed to speak out, they've let it be known that it's Disney that's muzzling them.

But you know, who needs to dig through a story when you can get all you need from a headline "EA IZ VRRY BAD MMMKAY" and all go rah rah rah. I'm more concerned with the studio DICE, their corporate overlords haven't generally fucked up their products until Disney came along....

25. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 23:30 Slick

Now: 480 crafting parts upgrades one Rare card to Epic

April: 480 crafting parts converts to 12 skill points upgrading 12 Rare card to Epic.

24. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 22:17 Slick

BTW, this is the last weekend to get the Luke Hoth Skin.  

23. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 20:21 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 19:00:
Slick, did you forget about the 60,000 battle points needed to unlock Vader and Luke?

the comment about it being a sense of "pride and accomplishment" is what unhinged people on reddit, and rightfully so.

Right, and then they changed it to 15,000, 10,000 and 5,000 credits to unlock each of the few locked heroes. They did this in the first week.

Are people really still mad about this? Maybe if they didn't address it and fix it, but jesus, that was 4 months ago.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Bill of Rights Trailer
4. Re: Far Cry 5 Bill of Rights Trailer Mar 16, 2018, 19:47 Slick

I'm more concerned about the fact that they're already advertising the Season Pass content BEFORE THE GAME HAS LAUNCHED.

How is this not a big deal to people? They're openly telling people who haven't even played the game yet that to experience everything they have to plonk down another $50.

News Comments > On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions
16. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 19:08 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 17:41:
Lord Tea wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 12:37:
if you want to speed up your progress by spending money, you'll have that option

...formerly known as "PAY TO WIN".

Speeding up progress isn't pay to win. Offensive to people who prefer to earn it, maybe, or a potential cause for concern over the standard rate of progression, definitely... But unless there's an advantage to that which can never be earned for free, it's not P2W.

Oh this line has been well blurred since SWBF2. That game offered the same "convenience shortcuts" that DICE games have for the last 5 years, but for some reason people equated it with being able to pay $$$ for a weapon that was BETTER than ANYTHING you could earn in-game.

The way it actually was (for 2 days before launch) was no different than a +xp bonus in any other game, you just got the same shit as playing the game normally, only faster. Just about every MMO on the planet does the exact same thing (pay for +25% xp boost).

And it's even more hilarious because Call of Duty: Advanced WArfare has ACTUAL pay-2-win guns that were FAR better than anything you could earn through normal progression, and NOBODY COMPLAINED. WTF.

Reminds be of the "golden guns" in APB:Reloaded which you couldn't even buy, but rent for $9.99 a month, and were twice as deadly as anything you could earn in-game, for a pvp game. Ridic.

News Comments > On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions
15. Re: On Far Cry 5 Microtransactions Mar 16, 2018, 19:03 Slick

Creston wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 11:11:
We made our game so grindy that we gave you the ability to pay extra to not have to play it. No surprise, since AC Origins had the same bullshit, but on the same day when EA announces they're killing their paid progression, this is yet again an utterly tone deaf announcement by Ubisoft.

I really don't like bring this guy, but there was really never "paid progression" in SWBF2. There was "random progression" that wasn't really so random, as you'd just buy crates (with ingame credits) to get crafting parts and then directly craft any upgrades you want.

Ubi has been tone-deaf with this for ages. The real thing I have NO IDEA why people don't hate on, is that they're already advertising the season pass content, exactly what's coming BEFORE THE GAME LAUNCHES!

They're doing with with FC5, and they did it with AC:O

How is this not a more egregious offence, the $50 season pass nonsense? ESPECIALLY advertising for it before the fucking game is even released! They're literally telling people who don't even have the game yet that they're missing out on content if they don't plonk down another $50.

Madness.

20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 18:45 Slick

Something to consider...

The wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the Battlefront Reddit has the first page littered with praise, and people doing backflips over this news.

Might be worth keeping this in perspective, that people who actually play/care about the game are over the moon at this news.

19. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 18:31 Slick

It's funny how people here are still insinuating that there's paid progression.

1) They completely halted paid lootboxes the day before launch.

2) As of next week, You won't be able to purchase lootboxes at all (even with in-game credits).

3) lootboxes are just for cosmetic items, and only earnable through in-game milestones.

4) All levelling is going to be class/hero specific, and you only progress by playing that class/hero.

5) Crafting parts are going to be turned into skill points (1 class/hero level) at the generous rate of 40 CP = 1 skill point in early April. This is a massive giveaway to all the current players. In 5 days of playing I can earn probably the equivalent of 100 levels.

It's been 4 months since launch, and they've completely changed the progression system. Which is exactly what fans asked for. Now that they've delivered, your first instinct is "too little too late", or "this is garbage bullshit anyways".

WHY do they even try to bother pleasing people like you? I'm fine keeping the progression the way it is, where I have 50+ epic tier cards and no one else does cause it's hard to earn them.

News Comments > Valve Plans to Make Games
42. Re: Valve Plans to Make Game Mar 10, 2018, 04:20 Slick

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, it's hard as fuck to get a product on shelves in a big box store. There is an arduous review process, and the fail rate is north of 98%. As opposed to valve where the fail rate is 0.1%

Software IS slightly different though, A comparison could be made to Android, or the PC platform in general.

Still, if your entire revenue model is just a storefront, and you don't have to pay for any development of the products you sell, you should be able to review them to make sure they work.

We're not talking about subjective "fun quotient" like Tipsy suggests, we're talking about broken ass games. Goat Simulator was a game that worked, there wouldn't be any problem listing it on the store. A review doesn't mean judging the subjective qualities of games, but the objective qualities of games.

If the game provides a reasonably well-rounded experience, the content doesn't matter. If however, the game is essentially an unfinished flash browser plugin, then it should *probably* be held back.

Not having a live chat or call center for their millions of customers is one thing (For Valve issues, not in-game issues, that would have to be handled by the devs/publishers of the games themselves obviously), but not even having the most basic review process just further leans on free crowdsourcing.

Valve was built by crowdsourcing unpaid talent, from user reviews/2-hour refunds, to the mod community. Most Valve games are just mods that they bought the rights to:

- Dota 2
- Portal
- Team Fortress
- Counterstrike
- Garry's Mod
- Left 4 Dead
- Day of Defeat
- Ricochet

ALL mods or taken from other people's work.

The last ORIGINAL IP that valve has come up with is Half-Life in 1998. That was 20 years ago.

3445 Comments. 173 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo