Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3621 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 15:48 Slick

I should say that the transitions from indoor to outdoor in the Metro trailer do look good, but only a notch above the "simulated HDR" tech that we've seen ever since that famous "HDR" lighthouse demo from Half-Life 2 like 12 years ago.

But on repeat viewings you can see some decent global illumination going on, it just only seems relevant in indoor areas. Considering the bulk of the game is set outdoors, it doesn't seem like this tech is going to redefine anything. Smells more like a marketing gimmick until a dev makes something from the ground up to make use of this extra hardware, and it's doubtful that any AAA studio will do just that considering their main revenue is from consoles.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 15:27 Slick

Lord Tea wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 15:14:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 15:04:
Are there any games that take advantage of real time ray tracing?

Yes. Battlefield 5, Metro Exodus... just to name a couple.

Wait, Battlefield 5 is confirmed? I've read about Metro Exodus, but there's no "real" proof, other than it will eventually be supported, to my eyes nothign at launch, which is still a ways off, so just seems like bullshit to me until I see something more official from the devs.

I caught this metro trailer last night saying that it'll have ray tracing, I didn't realise that this trailer was supposedly SHOWING OFF the raytracing.

Just like DX12, if the game isn't built from the ground-up to support it, this tacked-on shit doesn't impress me at all, I honestly didn't see anything impressive about that metro trailer, just looks like a current gen console game with a slightly nicer PC treatment.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 15:13 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 15:04:
Are there any games that take advantage of real time ray tracing?

Short answer is we'll know if any on Monday.

There's a new Direct X ray tracing API thingy that's coming out, which AMD have said they will support. But TBH There's no games that even really support DX12 yet... it's gonna be hard to anticipate any big games suppoorting RT in the near future.

That being said, you'd think it would be suicide to have this big hardware announcement without attaching at least one AAA studio to reveal they will support RT in a game this holiday season. I mean, they already do that shit with their gameworks program on PC with the big studios.

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 14:58 Slick

Also, the advertised clock speeds look pretty low compared with the supposed leaks in the previous weeks. They were saying 2.1 Ghz, with voltage boost clocks up to 2.5 Ghz. Now it's 1.3 boosting to 1.5? with voltage what? 1.7? 1.8? I don't know if the additional Cuda count will offset this to make it worthwhile.

Overall the 2080 looks like it should have been called the 2070, and the 2080 ti is the real 2080.

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 14:17 Slick

HDMI 2.0b = hard pass  

News Comments > Valve Tunes in Steam.TV
4. Re: Valve Tunes in Steam.TV Aug 17, 2018, 22:36 Slick

Unrelated to OP, but since this is the top story of tonight, has anyone else been tracking the recent RTX 2080 Ti leaks? Looks like it could be released/announced on monday next to the RTX 2080.

I wonder if they'll snub the open-source HDMI 2.1 spec because they'll be able to get away with it, seeing as there's no HDMI 2.1 TVs announced until Jan 2019 @ CES, and I'm sure they'd rather push their G-sync proprietary tech.

Also, keep your eyes peeled for the new AU Optronics 1440p @ 240hz panels starting to get announced, I'm expecting to see them make an appearance on monday too.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 17, 2018, 22:28 Slick

No HDMI 2.1 = no interest  

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Free Weekend
1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Free Weekend Aug 17, 2018, 02:59 Slick

Last time there was a free weekend for R6 Siege I downloaded it 10 minutes before it ended, joined one lobby, teamkilled 3 allies and got booted from the lobby, then it ended.

And thus, my love affair with that piece of shit game was ended.

I did play the alpha and beta for it, and man, is it BOOOOORING. Holding angles while camping a corner waiting for something interesting to happen, then it does and you wait 7 minutes for the round to end to respawn. YAWN.

News Comments > Battlefield 5 Trailer Shows Battle Royale
9. Re: Battlefield 5 Trailer Shows Battle Royale Aug 16, 2018, 17:30 Slick

There's never been a deathmatch mode in Battlefield. There has been Team Deathmatch since BF3, but that's it. 24 players (default) 12v12 on a small map.

I really have zero clue how that could be compared to a 100 person 8x8KM map where you have to scrounge for weapons, every man for themselves (or small squads), with the map slowly getting smaller.

Anyways, played the second alpha, same shit. HP regen kicks in faster now and you spawn with more ammo, but same shit. Honestly, I was going back to Battlefront II on the second day of the alpha, the gameplay is just much twitchier and IMO more fun...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 9, 2018, 22:18 Slick

That trailer looks pretty hot.

The whole idea of limited gameplay (punching and shooting) works much better in the old west than modern-day GTA IMO.

Problem is this game looks like it will be tiiiiiiiits in 4k HDR, but the good HDMI 2.1 compliant 4k TVs aren't coming out until March 2019 (probably).

So I guess I'll wait and just try to avoid story spoilers... probably ain't gonna work...

News Comments > Battlefield V Closed Alpha Next Week
3. Re: Battlefield V Closed Alpha Next Week Aug 9, 2018, 21:42 Slick

Take two baby, top streamers be warned! =p

Also, I think I was the first to break this news on reddit, should have tweeted it, my Origin client all of a sudden gave me the preload and launch times for the BFV Alpha (since it was already in my games list) yesterday morning, then it dissapeared, then it re-appeared later in the day.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2018, 18:11 Slick

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 17:29:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 6, 2018, 16:25:
Free speech won't be affected but idiots passing off bullshit as real might.

He definitely toes the line of free speech and libel, but it gets me really uncomfortable when guys like this are silenced. He's just someone with a lot of bad ideas that should be ridiculed, not silenced. I certainly don't want Google, Apple and Facebook deciding what should be censored and what shouldn't, our news and information streams flow too much through these companies to begin with. They should not have the power to censor what we consume on a whim- We may not loose any sleep over Alex Jones going away, but it sets a terrible prescident.

I like the theory that "sunlight is the best disinfectant". And it does set a bad precedent. But it's hard to not wonder which is the greater evil, silencing him (just on their platforms, he still runs his own website that his minions will use), or letting his destructive ideas permeate popular culture.

With the rise of fascism in the west, it's getting harder and harder to believe that just having his shitty ideas get more and more airtime will "show people what a nut he is" and instead seems to just be recruiting more people to his side.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2018, 15:56 Slick

The ironic thing is that Alex is loving this, he gets to fall on his sword so honourably to his and his viewer's eyes. Any (rightful) damage against him just plays into his narritive that the world is out there to silence him, that he is the only bearer of truth and "the man" is trying to shut him up.

Facebook, Stitcher, Youtube all banning his bitch ass won't hurt his viewer/listener numbers, and they will only become more fervent supporters of his bile and nonsense after seeing him "attacked" like this. It's information wars people!

Gotta hand it to them, these crackpot loonies are smart, just like the extreme Trump supporters, they paint themselves into a corner where to be proven wrong only hardens their resolve that the "system is against them".

News Comments > BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans
67. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 4, 2018, 17:56 Slick

Lol, no hard feelings Quinn.

TBH I've had you blocked for a while now for some dumb shit you probably said a while back, and I only really read your last response to me on a whim, pretty much everything I've written was not in response to you.

I'll unblock you though, cause I feel like I'm probably being petty.

64. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 4, 2018, 14:32 Slick

Sigh.

I wouldn't give two shits if they remade a Tomb Raider with a male lead. It's make believe. And my comments were meant to be taken toungue-in-cheek. I wasn't trying to be an asshole, just playful.

Is that virtue signalling enough for you?

They're fictional characters, what the fuck do I care? I have zero agency or licence to dictate my tastes to the people who create this art. It's their call, I'll judge it based on real merits, not whether the lead has a dick or not.

If you think I'm not being enough of a pretentioneer here, I actually went to film/TV school in college, so I feel that I have enough perspective to fairly judge and criticise film/tv on a thousand different points. Nowhere on that list is the gender of the made-up characters.

61. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 4, 2018, 13:49 Slick

Watch Mr. Plinkett's Ghostbusters Review to see a wonderfully dissected argument of everything wrong with that movie. And NOT ONCE was the "issue" of the cast being female even brought up.

Cause at the end of the day, we shouldn't really care if they have a penis or not, we should care if it's true to the franchise's characters, the humour, the beats, the plot, the worldbuilding etc. etc. etc.

It's not a mortal sin to have a preference to see a man in a role than a woman, same the other way around, it's just not really that important. We should all strive for a common humanism rather than devolve into tribalism... ON ALL SIDES

I'm just immediately suspect of anyone who thinks that a fictional character HAS to be one gender or the other. They're not real jackass. If someone wanted to remake a Nelson Mandela biopic for the 8th time and have Melissa McCarthy in the starring role, then yeah, there is a real argument to be made. But not if it's about Peter Fucking Pan. It's make believe dummy.

Anyways, I recommend watching the Plinkett Ghostbusters review as it's a funny take on why that movie bombed so hard. It has nothing to do with the gender of the actors. I saw Ocean's 8 with the wife recently, and that movie also kinda blew, although nowhere near as hard as Ghostbusters. For very different reasons, but both movies were just subpar on all the metrics that matter, penises being exempt from the final tally.

44. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 3, 2018, 14:16 Slick

El Pit wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 09:43:
Shared universes are the big thing in Hollywood, soooo... let me introduce you to The Old Dragon Age Mass Effect Republic! People will LOVE it and will buy DLCs and stuff like crazy!

Just kidding. I hope I am not giving them ideas... Oh my!

Oh right, that's what this thread was about.

25. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 3, 2018, 05:33 Slick

Telling a fragile white person that "white privilege" exists is like telling a girl who's PMSing that she's PMSing. There's just something in the brain that won't allow the information to get through, no matter how that tiny bit of knowledge could add such context to many conversations.

For the record, I think the guy is kinda a douche, and seems to be overly aggressive towards white people. I don't like bullies, and if you have to resort to that to get your point across you've lost my confidence in your message.

And yes, I can hold these 2 thoughts in my head at the same time, while chewing gum no less!

18. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 3, 2018, 05:08 Slick

Context matters here.

Sepharo was responding to the lovingly collaged image KxMode posted. Which there's objectively nothing wrong with. Seriously, read them, it's the weakest "pro-diversity" whatever whothefuck cares... Honestly the race/gender/sex of the protagonists in games/books/movies doesn't matter to me AT ALL. What matters is their character. If it's hamfisted in there, it can be offputting, but if it actually builds an interesting character I'm all for it. Watch Dogs 2 had a trans character who was a politician, and their gender or sexual identity wasn't even brought up once in dialogue, it was perfect, it had nothing to do with the plot, so why bother? It made the world come alive by reminding us that not everyone is a stock character archetype. I'm all for more of that in my art.

I think what Quinn is getting mad at is stuff like THIS

Which paints a TOTALLY different picture.

It goes from "yeah, diversity is good" to "fuck of whitey".

There is a difference, and words matter.

Still, Quinn seemed to have gotten triggered pretty hard, with responses like that there's almost nowhere to start, you'd need a time machine to change his mind. You know, back before the gender-fluid person made eye contact with him back in 8th grade, he's felt unclean ever since.

9. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Aug 3, 2018, 01:48 Slick

I went to the Motive offices here in MTL a couple weeks ago for a gametesting thing, got 2 free games for 4 hours of my time. Signed an NDA so I can't talk about it, but I can definitely say that when I had to take a phonecall and leave the room into their *beautiful* cafeteria area, there were like 2 employees watching me like a hawk to make sure I didn't veer off course and accidentally discover what they're actually working on. Really nice office though *dreams*  

3621 Comments. 182 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo