Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3621 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 13:50 Slick

Okay, they're doing the BFV RTX demo now... fuck. I might have to buy this shit.

Super impressive.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 13:34 Slick

They just showed the new tomb raider with ray tracing.

Technically it's very impressive, visually it's a VERY minor quality improvement. This is either because this tech was "tacked on" very late in development, or because there simply isn't enough juice when already running a AAA game. Probably a bit of both, but I'm hoping more the former.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 12:25 Slick

"Every spec leaked to the web, is wrong"  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 12:20 Slick

For anyone trainspotting the nVidia event, looks like the pre-game faff is starting to subside, the real show should be starting momentarily.

*yup just started

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 12:16 Slick

Saboth wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 09:51:
I usually don't upgrade unless I can get about a 80-90% increase. I've got a 1070, so looks like I'd have to do a 2080 TI, so I'll probably wait until the next gen. Seems like the 10 series has been around forever.

I'm in the same boat, but I have a 1080. It's going to be doubtful that a 2080ti will be enough of a leap...

Really I just want something to power the upcoming 1440p 240hz monitors (which might be announced today?).

Although for the games I play, I'm worried that I'll be CPU bottlenecked on my 4790k, as frostbite games don't often go above 150 fps @ 1440p

9900k, 2080ti, whole new build, new monitor... this is all sounding prohibitively expensive, starting to doubt this plan...

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 12:09 Slick

Oooohhh, that mouse looks damn sexy. I've tried those vertical mice before, and they're actually really comfortable for productivity, don't think they'd be as good for gaming, but I could be proven wrong. They've just always been pretty ugly.  

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 20, 2018, 01:18 Slick

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 21:54:
If you need a card now, I would buy it, the 20xx series will be in short supply until close to xmas. A lot of the vendors are still ramping up production.

I would suggest not buying a card the day before the new gen is announced. No one knows how the price structure will shake up. 1080 series is still very expensive new right now ($1000 CAD for 1080 Ti). Might as well try your luck at getting a 2080 if that's what you want tomorrow, or whenever they're available.

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 19, 2018, 21:30 Slick

As someone who's sold used crypto cards, MOST of the time they'll be fine. Unless they're a noob miner.

1) stress from electronics comes from swings in temperature, if they're at a stable temp (usually 60c) 24/7 it's not doing any harm, as long as the VRMs aren't overheating. I've only ever seen the VRMs fail in bad mining setups, seems to be the main fail-point. (one burst into flames LOL)

2) electronics in my experience fail in a "bathtub curve" fasion. Either they fail at the beginning of their lifespan (why we do burn-ins) or at the end. If they work they don't often break for no reason, unless some noob is mining with no cooling @ 90c.

3) Be cautious of miners flashing custom roms to their GPUs. Most miners shoot for a low-voltage mod, which will either have to be undone or you'll be looking for a card with a dual-bios switch that you can just flick off. The problem might arise if they were mining at higher voltage, again, with bad/no cooling.

4) Get the original receipt, and double-check the manufacturer warranty for yourself. Most can be transferred, or people on forums will say the vendor doesn't care, but don't take their word for it, do your own homework.

Just poke around, the seller should be able to answer all of these questions, if they can't/won't I wouldn't risk it.

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 19, 2018, 19:21 Slick

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 18:51:
Slick wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 17:39:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 17:24:
Hmm, so probably should hold off on picking up that 1070ti...

If the 2070 doesn't float your boat, there's bound to be a shit ton of 1070ti, 1080 and 1080 Ti on the used market in T-minus... oh shit, right now.

Folks seem to think that on the 20th Nvidia is going to slash prices on Pascal cards. I don't know why but it's apparently a big deal even though unconfirmed.

Well, that would make sense for them, clear out all the extra stock they fabbed cause of the crypto boom, and then gut the resale market so everyone buys their new cards.

The fucks.

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 19, 2018, 17:39 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2018, 17:24:
Hmm, so probably should hold off on picking up that 1070ti...

If the 2070 doesn't float your boat, there's bound to be a shit ton of 1070ti, 1080 and 1080 Ti on the used market in T-minus... oh shit, right now.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
26. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 19, 2018, 01:23 Slick

Also, fuck Shadowplay that hasn't worked for about a year for me. I reinstalled everything but Win10 itself. Constantly broken. I assume AMD has a similar feature that might actually work.  

25. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 19, 2018, 01:15 Slick

Those huge leaps in VR never amounted to anything, all of their multi-projection tech (which was actually cool) to my knowledge never came out the way it was advertised. Been 2 years and bubkiss. Expecting about the same for RT. Waste of silicon, I'd rather get more base game performance.

This has been the same old story ever since Gameworks came about, they back closed-source tech, and devs go: "hmmm, i could develop for it, or develop for AMD and all consoles instead"

AMD really needs to get GPU parity soon, cause I can't wait to never buy nVid again. Fuck their closed-source tech that no one ever uses.

23. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 22:46 Slick

Also, I was clearly talking about the specs on paper re: Pascal. The RTX 2080 is EFFECTIVELY a rebrand because it looks like it won't have more than 10% more FPS in games than a 1080 Ti. It's a crossgrade more than anything, they are expecting people who already own top-tier cards to want to plonk down another wad of cash to get hardware ray-tracing.

So on Monday, if that raytracing shit doesn't blow everyone out of the water, then what is there to get excited about? The RTX 2080, 2 years in the making, is going to be barely an evolutionary bump in FPS for 99% of gamers.

Unless enabling RTX somehow INCREASES your total FPS by diverting computational effort from rasterization, shadows, lighting etc. to a dedicated piece of hardware. And that would be something worth getting excited about.

22. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 22:43 Slick

So slower clocks, and 15% more Cuda cores you honestly think will make a "generational leap" when it comes to the new architecture?

That's being rather optimistic.

There's a small die-shrink, which has resulted in slower clocks... and a massive 285w TDP, so that's basically a wash.

It was obviously to make room for the RTX hardware on-die. But I don't think that's going to be worth it, because enabling it will still probably slow the overall framerate, if ANY of the other gameworks techs over the past 10 years is any indication.

GDDR6 and 12nm is only good if that goes into getting me more frames in-game. If that's just to give additional bandwidth and energy efficiency so they can have 1/4th of the die with this RTX ray tracing thing, then it seems like a wasted attempt.

Feels just like Intel wasting half their die area on a stupid integrated GPU that I'll never use. the RTX core will be more of the same. Unless they can somehow make the lighting/shadows look better WITHOUT sacrificing the framerate, which is yet to be seen.

Still, I want the frames to power either a 144hz 4k monitor, or a 240hz 1440p monitor. I have no interest in being an early adopter for another gameworks bullshit marketing stunt that 3 developers will ever use.

20. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 21:20 Slick

Pascal was said to OC to 2.1 Ghz on air. My GTX 1080 OCs to 2.05 on air. That's comparable.

Saying RTX 2080 Ti will OC to 2.5Ghz, and then we're looking at MAYBE hitting 1.9Ghz with voltage is much different. We were told that we'd be getting higher clocks, and looks like they'll actually be lower than the last gen. That's a kick in the nuts.

They're just leaks, but I'm saying that expectations are very different for Turing pre-launch from actual.

Also, I doubt that any benchmarks are going to be using RayTracing when comparing against other cards. Seeing as they're the only one with dedicated hardware, and they're using a propriatary API, then there's really no comparison, let alone no games...

So we're talking benchmarks with the dedicated RT hardware not functioning, it's the only apples-to-apples we have. And from the looks of it, slower GPU clocks, and a handful more Cuda cores on paper, means that it doesn't look like the RTX 2080 is going to be worth anyone's time, as it'll just be a rebranded 1080ti with some extra shit that will "never" be used.

I say this as someone who's been hyped for this, and equally disappointed.

Let's wait to see the real benchmarks from 3rd party sites before we claim anything for sure, but it doesn't look good on paper.

18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 20:59 Slick

RTX is the proprietary nVidia tech. That's different from the DX12 API.

Also, leaks said the new cards would hit 2.5Ghz. Seeing that it's 1.5Ghz out of the box is a pretty big difference.

15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 18:05 Slick

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 18:00:
Lord Tea wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 15:14:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 15:04:
Are there any games that take advantage of real time ray tracing?

Yes. Battlefield 5, Metro Exodus... just to name a couple.

Why would anyone use ray tracing when even with a top end card it slows down your computer significantly?

It's not hard to imagine RT being used in indy or smaller games where it's not already as taxing as a AAA game. Something like Unravel, it's simple, looks great, isn't too GPU demanding... that shit could benefit if it can run at 30fps and still play well.

But yeah, touting 12 FPS in their promo video as "6x faster than before" is still worthless for any big game.

13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 17:17 Slick

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 18, 2018, 17:03:
How many games are going to adopt RTX without having nVidia's GEforce Game Ready fist up their ass? I'm guessing not many with the next console generation likely going with AMD hardware again. It's just an unnecessary development cost when the "main" gaming platforms arent going to support it, and AMD doesnt really have any incentive to shoe-in compatibility for nVidia's standards. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

The answer will undoubtedly be zero.

They've already shown their utter distaste for open standards by avoiding HDMI 2.1 cause that competes slightly against their BFG g-sync TV...

RTX will be gameworks only, I guarantee it.

I should specify that MS has a new Ray Tracing API "plug-in" for DX12. This will be the open-source tech that AMD will use, probably see mass adoption in the next round of consoles... Depending on how efficient they get it, at least it will be another big marketing push.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2018, 18:03.

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 16:40 Slick

Nice, thanks for the link.

I haven't seen any options in the closed alpha, but I just found out that Metro also uses Frostbite, so it's not much of a stretch for BFV to support it in some capacity.

That would be a AAA title worthy of a hardware launch.

We'll see if enabling it is worth anyone's time though... as with many other Gameworks techs, it's always been a huge tradeoff for FPS. Like has ANYONE ever used the percentage PCSS shadows supported by nVid in any game? it like halfs my framerate...

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 18, 2018, 15:55 Slick

Sorry for the repeat posts, I've been looking forward to the next gen of GPUs for a while, as I'm sure we all have...

Check out this video at this time, this seems to be where nVidia is getting their "6x performance" metric from. Which is entirely just the ms it took to render a frame with raytracing before, to how long it takes now.

What used to be 308ms is now 45ms. What used to be 576ms is now 86ms.

A big improvement for sure, but this isn't going to do shit for modern games! What gamer is going to put up with 86ms between frames instead of 576ms?!

That's literally going from 2 FPS to 12 FPS. Woo hoo? Who the fuck cares! And that was for a damn simple scene with just one car onscreen.

Fuck man, I was so stoked about these new GPUs, but it seems like they're just wasting extra silicon on a marketing stunt while nerfing the true performance gains we should be expecting with 2 years of development and a die shrink to be just barely better than Pascal.

Oh and no HDMI 2.1

WTF... so conflicted. I hope their announce on monday will clear things up, but it doesn't look good. Not until AMD can counter with something of their own, this seems like a slap in the face for gamers. The 2080 is like 5% faster than a 1080ti. For about the same price. WTF is that shit...

3621 Comments. 182 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo