Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3562 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield V Squads Stream Today
11. Re: Battlefield V Squads Stream Today Jul 3, 2018, 00:13 Slick

Nice to see you poppin by the stream, yeah it's .tv/sirparcival as you expertly sleuthed yourself.

So I don't know what to do with this clip, but I think it's going to be pinned to my twitter feed until I get a better one...

"SirParcival-TV is better than me" -Ninja

I'll go through the rest of the footage sometime soon, I'm trying to think of a creative way to show both their and my feed at the same time sync'd up, but 2x 16:9 panels at the same time is hard to pull off.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2018, 01:10.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Battlefield V Squads Stream Today Jul 2, 2018, 18:08 Slick

Well, that was fun  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

6. Re: Battlefield V Squads Stream Today Jul 2, 2018, 18:00 Slick

I killed Shroud once, Lirik once, Dr Disrespect 3 times, and Ninja 5 times.

None of them killed me once.

I have video evidence. A bunch of Ninja's followers stormed my channel, apparently after the 4th and 5th time I made him rage and he was calling out my name. Can't wait to get for his stream to end so I can watch that replay over and over a few hundred times ^_^

Oh and I wasn't stream sniping, I saw that they were on conquest servers and tried a few to see if I could get on the same server, but then I closed the feeds, I'm not a douchebag.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 1, 2018, 19:54 Slick

Nice to see FFXV on the list, maybe it's on sale?

I really liked that game, the first RPG I got the wife to ever play through with a controller on the console, and it was her first JRPG too.

She just started Nier: Automata, which got great reviews, I'm next in line to play And I'll say this, from someone who didn't grow up with games, and who's new to using a controller you'd think she'd have a hard time with the Platinum Games style of action, but I wanted to push her a bit, and she's really taken to it, we're on day 2 and she's about 7 hours in and not giving up the controller.

Apparently, it takes 20 hours to beat, but then there are 4 more endings you should play through, and the fifth one "route E" is supposed to me genuinely amazing in a mindfuckery kind of way. One major review outlet said something like: "The night I beat Nier: Automata, I slept well. The night I REALLY finished Nier: Automata I couldn't get a wink"

For the reference, time to beat average says 20 hours for first playthrough, 6-7 for each other one, but can go faster by skipping everything but main quests. 60 hours for a completionist run.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2018 Registration
7. Re: QuakeCon 2018 Registration Jul 1, 2018, 12:38 Slick

The problem with my local BYOC LAN events is that they all play garbage games. CS, Dota, LoL, it's all a fucking snoozefest. What happened to proper arena shooters at LAN parties?  

News Comments > Battlefield V Gameplay Video
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 29, 2018, 22:58 Slick

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 22:20:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 18:16:
His positioning is excellent too, something I can't seem to do properly in PUBG. In BF I'm a rusher, I rush in and know that I can engage and kill 2 or 3 before they put enough rounds in me to go down. So I'll top scoreboard via kills, multi kill, vehicle destruction, flag caps... but typically my death won't be single digits (but the ratio will still be at least 2.5:1). And I'm not doing really any long distance.

I also struggle with tactical positioning, mainly because I'm an action junkie, and i find camping/sniping/etc boring as hell.

It's something i've struggled with in many games, but am making progress with. Playing quake for years, I was always the guy who would seek out and murder the campers/snipers anytime I was aware of them. I excel at the technical stuff like aiming, quickshots, movement and such, but finding the balance of patience and strategic positioning to go along with that has been a challenge. Hugely rewarding when you start to develop those skills though. Natural Selection 2 helped me a lot in that regard. Gotta be ready for those sneaky skulks ^.^

Positioning is 2/3rds of the ballgame. Shit, the saying in the old quake days is "map control is everything" where people could win against better shots by knowing where to be and when. It's not totally analogous to a modern FPS, but the core concept is the same.

A good player is in tune with their inner "Rambo" to charge-in when necessary, and their inner "camper" that makes use of available cover to get the drop.

If you have a squad that can do the latter, then immediately transition to the former, you can win at most of these games.

16. Re: Battlefield V Gameplay Video Jun 29, 2018, 20:32 Slick

Just started the stream again, gonna try and go for panzerfaust headshots only ^_^  

15. Re: Battlefield V Gameplay Video Jun 29, 2018, 19:52 Slick

Sepharo wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 18:16:
Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 16:37:
Not to toot my own horn, but I went 53-8 on my last round as assault. Although I'm sure this shroud guy is the bee's knees.

I'm typically top of the scoreboard as well, especially at the beginning of a BF launch. But I'm not doing it the way he is... I'm just amazed that he finds heads with those snap shots (I called it quickscoping earlier but really it's not exactly that, he's just damn fast). Like I don't even see what he's aiming at, it's a fuckin smudge through some smoke for half a second... but it's an HS.

His positioning is excellent too, something I can't seem to do properly in PUBG. In BF I'm a rusher, I rush in and know that I can engage and kill 2 or 3 before they put enough rounds in me to go down. So I'll top scoreboard via kills, multi kill, vehicle destruction, flag caps... but typically my death won't be single digits (but the ratio will still be at least 2.5:1). And I'm not doing really any long distance.

here's the session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsma22c8Et0
and a timestamp to see some crazy shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsma22c8Et0&t=1829s

I'm sure you can pick it apart. But the guy just amazes me. Hopping in any shooting game like that and playing that way. I've played them all too, and I'm good right when I jump in... but I'm not that good. Guys like him are the reason I side-eye hackusations... it IS possible to be that good.

Yeah, it's that last-milisecond correction for the head that's impressive. I've pulled off stuff like that before, but not consistently, and not in a new game.

The biggest "secret" if I'd call it that of competitive FPS gamers is low-sensitivity, and furthermore mapping your exact sensitivity across all games so your muscle memory never has to re-adjust.

I used to do this back when I competed for 20ID, but I've just been lazy since, had a few small desks I had to put up with having smaller mousepads etc.

What I mean is take a ruler and map exactly the travel distance your mouse makes on the mousepad that it takes you to do a 360 in-game. Once you know that measurement, you can set your sensitivity in any game using the same method, and you'll just keep getting better. Pair that with an XXL mousepad and low sensitivity (360 = 15-20") and stick with it, and most great gamers could pull off stuff like this.

Also I'll say that the livestream feeds on twitch are 6000 kbps max, whereas natively it's closer to 15 Gbps to your eyes, so it's easy for a streamer to see something clearly and his/her viewers to totally miss it. Especially with the wide FOV that I use, my viewers are regularly astounded at how I "even saw that guy".

11. Re: Battlefield V Gameplay Video Jun 29, 2018, 16:37 Slick

Not to toot my own horn, but I went 53-8 on my last round as assault. Although I'm sure this shroud guy is the bee's knees.  

3. Re: Battlefield V Gameplay Video Jun 29, 2018, 12:14 Slick

The ammo restriction is the best part of this game. There's no more spam, everything feels tactical, and much more realistic.

The support can throw down ammo boxes, there's 9 bullets from dead bodies everywhere, and you're less than 100m from a full ammo/health resupply station at any time.

There's just no more spam, you have to use your head.

1. Re: Battlefield V Gameplay Video Jun 29, 2018, 12:11 Slick

twitch.tv/sirparcival for the next few hours. Took me a few hours to figure out, but now I'm melting faces.  

News Comments > Battlefield V Closed Alpha Tomorrow
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2018, 10:09 Slick

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 08:00:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 03:54:
Slick wrote on Jun 28, 2018, 01:23:
I got into the alpha! Will be streaming tommorow morning.

Fucking Millennials

I'm so triggered right now.

I'm '82, so some call me a millennial, some don't. But I hate the term, as it lumps me in with some serious fuckwads.

News Comments > Battlefield V Closed Alpha Tomorrow
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2018, 01:23 Slick

I got into the alpha! Will be streaming tommorow morning.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Free
8. Re: Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Free Jun 27, 2018, 17:00 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 15:26:
aka_STEVE wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 14:01:
dedicated servers vs. not allowing them

When are the guys deciding shit like that gonna catch back up & realize PC players want games running dedicated servers.

edit: Battlefield 1 does run on dedicated servers, just not private ones the last I played. someone also inquired before if Battlefield 5 would have a server browser and a dev confirmed that it would.

It's a problem though because private servers are rife with abuse, admins playing god and clans team stacking against unsuspecting players.

Of course if you're in a clan you want to play together, you're all kitted out on teamspeak and implement teamwork set to level 9000. It may not be cheating but it's really abusive to be on the receiving end.

Yes, a good distinction to make re: dedicated servers as opposed to P2P.

BUT.

I miss having servers with admins so you could FUCKING BAN HACKERS. Oh my fucking gawwwwd, Battlefront is on sale again, so there's lots of new players, and lots of people willing to test out hacks cause it's only a $20 investment to lose. And jesus christ, they NEVER get banned. They openly gloat about hacking. It's like 1 in every 3 servers I visit now... OMGZ THE MADS.

7. Re: Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Free Jun 27, 2018, 16:58 Slick

I played this expansion recently, even though I got the dumb pass I lost interest in this game pretty hard after the second xpack.

If memory serves this is the one that has this huuuuuge upen naval map around a big island that is inaccessible, and there's lots of boats, each side gets a behemoth, and there are playable destroyers, oh and dirigibles! you can go all steampunk. That map was genuinely fun, reminded me wake island with triple the vehicles.

6. Re: Battlefield 1 Turning Tides Free Jun 27, 2018, 16:56 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 12:28:
Timmeh wrote on Jun 27, 2018, 11:20:
logged in on PC

searched for a server with players on it... after about 15 min of trying different combinations of filters.. finally found one.

thats pretty pathetic.

Indeed... BF4 on the other hand, all full

The troll is strong with this one. I haven't been able to find a Naval Strike server in BF4 for 2+ years. That shit was a ghost town 3 months after it dropped.

This is the fallacy of the season pass, or any monetized content pack. A year after launch (or just months) you'll only be able to find vanilla servers.

GOOD RIDDANCE.

News Comments > PUBG Drops Fortnite Lawsuit
2. Re: PUBG Drops Fortnite Lawsuit Jun 27, 2018, 11:26 Slick

Retaining an army of lawyers to file the suit: $15,000,000

Generating bad pub(g)licity for yourself while casting your direct competition as the aggrieved victim: Priceless

News Comments > MS on PC Gaming
58. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 15, 2018, 02:04 Slick

Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 19:42:
Just for the record, I was not saying that Windows 10 was a shitty OS. I was referring to MS exclusivity regarding it and their games along with DirectX exclusivity.

Although I really don't like the sneaked in updates when I turn my back. Why the hell are you asking me permission for some updates and then totally ignoring my opinion for others MS?

Ahh, I see now how I misread your earlier quote.

In principle I think the idea of getting everyone on one OS like Apple has been doing for the past decade+ is a pro-consumer, pro-developer move to make. The problem is that Win10 has some serious quirks re: updates. I personally don't care, I have a google home that spys on me 24/7, and I'm pretty sure my Chinese phone is sending all my data back to China HQ, so just having Win10 updates set to "sure" is the least of my worries. I can see how it would irk some people, but I just don't have time to give a shit about it.

*Also I'd like to state that for the record I still want to punch Phil Spencer in his punchable face with that shit-eating grin whenever I see him on stage... but I've been following what he's been doing since he took the reigns, and he's actually turning the ship around. He's like the Obama of the gaming world, he inherited a fucking mess that was none of his doing, and he's slowly turning it around. So I don't know, I know they all lie, but I've come around to giving him, in particular, a modicum of faith, or at least the benefit of the doubt. He certainly turned things around with MS's E3 conference this year, which was widely heralded as superior to Playstation's. That's no small feat. So I hope when he's indicating that he sees that PC gamers don't really give a fuck about Xbox branded shit, that he's probably at the least sincere, and he's probably figuring out how to turn that around too.

Someone on here once said that he has the face of a hybrid between Jon Stewart and Mike Rowe from "dirty jobs", and I can never get that out of my mind now whenever I see him... but I've started to see him as more human overall.

38. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 15:44 Slick

Slashman wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 14:49:
Slick and several more people on here are acting like MS hasn't done this shit already!

Fallout 3 on Games for Windows Live sure was lovely right? The Arkham games on Games for Windows Live were divine weren't they? I'm sure we all lamented when GFWL got removed from these and Red Faction Guerilla.

This has nothing to do with wanting MS to sell through some one else's store, it has to do with the fact that they keep proving they are shitty at managing their own. And to answer your questions Slick, I do not buy through Origin or play EA games pretty much ever because Origin itself keeps flagging my geographical location incorrectly and charging me stupid extra.

If you want to use the wonderful Windows store, go ahead. I, on the other hand, have no interest and don't want the bother.

The shitty OS and DirectX exclusivity is yet another reason for me to take a step back from this. Jesus Slick, do you just post for the sake of being the contrarian?

I mean I honestly have no idea why I should give a flying frak about poor, downtrodden MS taking whatever hit the other digital stores charge. I'm a consumer. I consume what is best for me. Others have that right and I'm fine with people who use Origin or the Windows store, it just won't be me. And from the looks of things, I'm not alone.

First of all, I like that you said my name 3 times in your post. It's where I draw my power from. I'm like beetlejuice, only less handsome.

Anyways, to your points:

1) I never said their store wasn't shitty, infact I've offered evidence of how shitty it is. That being said, it has improved since the days of GFWL. They're like a big dumb dinosaur, they're slow, but they're learning.

2) There's no love lost for a giant megalithic corporation. I'm just refuting the line that people (one in particular in this thread) say that they'll only buy from Steam. The irony of only buying from one multi-billion $ corp over another is usually lost. My point has always been that devs/bankrollers have the right to sell their own wares. If people GENUINELY want the product, then the store they buy it from shouldn't be too much of an obstacle. If it is, then I'd argue that they didn't REALLY want it that badly in the first place.

III) Also, that sucks about your Origin woes, I never heard of that bug. I know that all the stores have different region pricing. You can always try a VPN or just get a key from a grey-market site like Kinguin. But again, I'd be willing to bet that you prooooobably don't really want to play any of EA's games that badly

D) Windows 10 isn't a shitty OS. It's the best OS for gaming, and I like playing games. Sooooooo that's pretty much a non-starter. Also, DirectX has it's pros and cons, it saved the PC gaming industry from a fragmented scenario and did a better job than OpenGL. If Vulkan gets traction I'm all for that too. I don't really give a flying fuck to be honest. What game doesn't use DirectX? DX12 actually has alot of that good low-level shit developers have been wanting after seeing it with Mantle. The holdup is mostly nVidia with zero fucks given to Async compute, and developers not wanting to re-invent the wheel mid-console cycle. Around 2020 we'll see DX12 take off if Vulkan doesn't beat them to it (they won't), and then we'll see some shit. But really, who the fuck cares about APIs? And how is that a contrarian view? I have actual contrarian views you know... just enjoying PC gaming isn't one of them.

37. Re: MS on PC Gaming Jun 14, 2018, 15:29 Slick

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2018, 14:59:
Slick, you're the one missing the point here. Phil has said this how many times now? Half a dozen or so over the last decade or so? Every couple of years he trots this exact same shit out. How they've dropped the ball but this time they're really gonna' make it work finally! Yeah, this is the one. This time it's really gonna' happen!

'Don't leave me, baby! I swear I'll change! I promise I won't hit you no more.' Phil says as he dons his stained and smelly wifebeater. 'Now go get me a beer and a sandwich and keep it down, I'm watchin' the game.'

Yeah, I've been keeping track. My point is their "vision" for the last 5 years or so was to bring the xbox experience to the PC. They already had all these systems kinda sorta built, so why not just start porting the sumvabitches over? Yeah, that didn't work so great.

BUT.

Their store is in better shape today than it's ever been. Like I said, I've actually bought 2 games from them, something I didn't ever see myself doing. It's in much better shape than the "Windows Live" service was 5 years ago, or the "Games for Windows Live" shit 10 years ago. They've been making progress, and to me this announcement says: "we realised that porting Xbox frontend shit to PC wasn't a great idea, we might build something from scratch". And that's not just a good idea, it should be an obviously good idea.

Give them another 5 years and they might have something worthy of their windows gaming audience.

3562 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo