Total Posts
4542 (Master)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

4542 Comments. 228 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    228  ] Older

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden
Oct 14, 2021, 17:09
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 17:09
Oct 14, 2021, 17:09
 Slick

See right there RedEye, you're proving my point by showing a transcript of a private conversation, taped without his knowledge. It's bullshit. Do you think that this is how society should function? You might be a fan of the new Texas Abortion law which deputizes citizens to narc on anyone even assisting an abortion. Citizens secretly taping the uber driver so that their life can be ruined. Oh that's totally different because your cause is righteous and the other cause is evil? Hmm.

Also, what Sterling said was super shitty, let's be real, it's a pretty bad look, no one's arguing that. What I would argue, is: Do you think that's the face of real racism? The guy surrounded with black people and who's girlfriend is black? That's some very "cafeteria" racism if you can turn it off when you're literally inside a black girl :/ Do you think the punishment suits the crime? His name will forever be known for this one incident, when he was taped in private. Shit I'm Jewish and I think it was bullshit that the Mel Gibson tape somehow became a part of our culture, that shit was private. I don't give a shit how nutty he is in his private life. Have you ever seen a Tom Cruise movie? Guy's a fucking whacko IRL, how do you square that circle? Since when do we need to know everyone's darkest private moments like they're any of our fucking business? Cause this guy was such a cultural public figure? A coach for a football team? I've never heard of him before. Ted Lasso is more of a public figure, and he's not real!
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Oct 14, 2021, 16:45
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 16:45
Oct 14, 2021, 16:45
 Slick

TheUpsidesDown wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 16:24:
The country is slowing losing its soul. The ability to empathize and to forgive.

People make mistakes but only one side of the aisle is routinely forgiven for theirs.

I can't really comment on what's happening with the "other side" It really is just unrepentant evil at this point. But one thing I've noticed is that they're not just forgiven, they're outright absolved. Evangelicals voting for trump, making excuses for the Holywood Acess bus tape, making excuses for Stormy... Then on the left we have Al Franken who spent his short Senate career going to bat for women's rights, and taking up fights no one else would on women's behalf.... Sexist! Mysogenist! Cancel him! Make him disappear! lol

There is real evil in the world, and it's not hard to find. Which makes the whole left-side losing their minds over basically nothing so aggravating. I guess they're just a much easier target? Becuase if you guys open your eyes there's literally Satan trying to destroy the world right now, but you wanna go after this guy? For being a racist in private? If being racist in private was a federal crime, 90% of this country would be doing hard time. "What you in for?" "Asian driving joke, 2007" "damn".
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Oct 14, 2021, 16:34
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 16:34
Oct 14, 2021, 16:34
 Slick

@ Mr. Tact

You should refresh your memory about Sterling, it was also about major league sports, had a similar outcome, and the punishment didn't fit the crime. He lost everything. He's a pariah. You can look it up or take my summary as-is: it was about a wealthy old white man, who employed and signed large cheques for lots of black athletes, who had a black girlfriend, and who said to her that she could bang all the other black dudes she wants, just don't post Instagram pictures of them and bring them to my basketball games. He was telling his woman-of-colour girlfriend that he was down with her sleeping around, with black guys, just don't post pictures of them or bring them to my games. He said this not in a company email, nor Gmail, he said it with words out of his human mouth.

And no one ever asked the simple question, why would a racist surround themselves with mostly black people? Why would he be banging a black woman? Didn't matter, he needed to go, very klansman, obvious piece of shit, deserved to have his life stripped from him, and all his dignity too as if he was caught lighting a 10 foot cross on a black person's lawn. Absurd.

That's all you need to know to understand that it doesn't make any difference what this current asshole's email is. If his maid found an email of his while dusting his laptop, and sent it to the press, it would be the same lynch mob after him. The fact is he wasn't under investigation for anything, which I'll assume means that he wasn't going around talking about how he hates gay people and black people... just a guess. From the sounds of it, it was a big surprise to everyone...

It would be nice if everyone stopped acting like who you are in public and who you are in private are the same thing. Martin Luther King Jr: Civil rights legend in public, adulterer in private. Stop pretending that everyone is a saint, that no one has ever said the wrong thing, and that the solution is to just get rid of people. Dr. King would have been cancelled so hard if this nonsense was happening in his time.

Racial bias is inherent is almost all people, it's subconscious, you literally can't control it. People often trust people of different racial groups less just by seeing their face on a flashcard. That's not racism. Racism is leaning into those thoughts and creating an identity around it. Was this guy running an alt-right hate group online? Getting in front of a podium saying god hates f@%$? NO! He was talking in fucking private. And I know you'll just keep saying "cause it was a company email" that's the same thing as "replying all" to everyone in the company, and also everyone on the planet now... Fuck's sake, having a private 1 on 1 conversation with someone is not the same as your public persona. How is that hard to grasp. And how is the rebuttal "well obviously all private one-on-one communication is public if you use the wrong domain and we find out that you're an asshole"

Do you really think you've never met a black person who is biased against white people? They probably didn't scream it in your face, and you probably get along just fine with them at work, but perhaps in private they have thoughts on the subject of "whitey"? No? Everyone's always a saint in private huh. Especially you ^_^ Gotta love hypocritical liberals who act like their shit don't stink. Like you've never had a private conversation that was off-colour. Give me a break. You're not a saint, you're a human. You know how I know? Takes one to know one.

Oct 14, 2021, 15:23
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 15:23
Oct 14, 2021, 15:23
 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 14:59:
Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 14:40:
The weirdest part is this concession that because it was a "work email" (which as far as i can tell, no one has corroborated, the guy they were investigating was using a work email), which means there is zero reasonable expectation of privacy, that the company "owns" this correspondance. So by that metric, Google "owns" all of my correspondence, does that mean there's no such thing as private electronic communication? That everyhting is public? What utter nonsense.
I am saying there is a difference between your private email on email service and work email on an employer's server. As far as I can tell you haven't shown the email wasn't on the WFT server. And yes, your employer owns all the emails on their server. I never said all email was public. I said email on your employer's server is not private. This is not a binary status.

You're right, however the majority of the hate in this thread isn't concerned with whether it was a work or gmail server the guy used. What matters is that he's a piece of shit and needs to die a humiliating public death.

And if it was a gmail account, whose wielding pitchforks in here would be just as angry. They'd be calling for blood even more. Not one of them would say: "but it was a private message". They don't care. They just want blood.

Returning to the initial Donald Sterling incident, it was something that he said, verbally, to someone he was so close with, he was boinking her. And that was MORE than enough for him to lose everything. There is no expectation of privacy.

The domain at the end of his email address doesn't matter. The public loves a public hanging. And if you get in the crosshairs of the moral thought-police then your whole life is forfeit. People have literally killed themselves for going through far less shame and humiliation.

If it was my company would I react like this? Probably not. I'd punish them by making them sit through some unpaid sensitivity training, demote them, and send them on two months of unpaid leave to think over their actions. That's a pretty big punishment. But apparently, that's not enough, you have to hang them in the public square. :/ That's the whole problem with cancel culture, there are no shades of grey. And this is not even an egregious incident. He said terrible things, and recently, he deserved to be punished.

Compare that with the Tokyo Opening Ceremonies Director being fired for a 20-year-old JOKE. It's absurd.

Oct 14, 2021, 14:40
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 14:40
Oct 14, 2021, 14:40
 Slick

I'm amazed at the level of moral purity on this server. Like the more outraged you are the more we can infer that you've never had an impure thought yourself, never "dropped an n-bomb" in a private conversation.

Redeye, I'm honestly surprised at you. "maybe you deserve to lose your career, spouse and kids"? For fucks sake dude, ease up. Because they're an unforgivable piece of shit who deserves to lose everything they've spent their lifetime building because they said something racist in a private email once. I bet you know nothing about this guy, neither do I. But the difference is I'm not pretending to. You're assuming he's only writing emails when not attending klan rallies :/

The scary thing is people on the left honestly can't tell the difference between their bloodlust and what's seen on the right. Lefties love calling out sheep on the right for being an angry dumb mob that doesn't think critically, but just loves to be outraged and enjoys wrecking lives. And there's no irony. And this is coming from an oldskool liberal.

The weirdest part is this concession that because it was a "work email" (which as far as i can tell, no one has corroborated, the guy they were investigating was using a work email), which means there is zero reasonable expectation of privacy, that the company "owns" this correspondance. So by that metric, Google "owns" all of my correspondence, does that mean there's no such thing as private electronic communication? That everyhting is public? What utter nonsense.

Oct 14, 2021, 14:10
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 14:10
Oct 14, 2021, 14:10
 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 14:00:
Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:54:
But they didn't need to, this guy wasn't under investigation for anything. He was, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, collateral damage. This was dragnet privacy violation which turned into an event so public that we're talking about it in a !@#$ing gaming forum, and event which caused this person who otherwise did nothing wrong to lose their job. And if you wanna say that thinking an impure thought in private is a thought-crime worthy of this sentence that's been handed down, then you're my enemy.
There was no privacy violation by the NFL since they were searching their own property. Now, you might have an argument by saying the leaker broached Gruden's privacy, maybe. That would be a civil matter, Gruden can sue the leaker if he wants. But I wouldn't bet on him being successful. Even if the leak hadn't happened, eventually the NFL would have forced Gruden out. Like I said, the coverup is always worse.

If they want to internally punish someone for unethical behaviour at the workplace that's one thing. This is not that. I'm stunned that you would consider this public lynching the perferrable option, because the mob needs fresh meat. That guy's name is tarred forever. His children could estrange him, he could lose his spouse. You think the punishment fits the crime?

And just so we're all being 100% clear here, the crime is saying something socially repellant in a private email.

Oct 14, 2021, 13:54
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 13:54
Oct 14, 2021, 13:54
 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:38:
Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:32:
Really? So if you have a certain job in the private sector, you lose ALL privacy rights? Where is that written?
Are you saying you think you can keep your employer from reading your work account emails? Name an employer for who that is true. While I'm sure there are many employers who would say they would never do it, I guarantee you they all would if they felt they needed to.

But they didn't need to, this guy wasn't under investigation for anything. He was, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, collateral damage. This was dragnet privacy violation which turned into an event so public that we're talking about it in a !@#$ing gaming forum, and event which caused this person who otherwise did nothing wrong to lose their job. And if you wanna say that thinking an impure thought in private is a thought-crime worthy of this sentence that's been handed down, then you're my enemy.

Oct 14, 2021, 13:43
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 13:43
Oct 14, 2021, 13:43
 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:31:
Breaking news: Every email you ever sent from or received on your work email account, isn't private.

What are you talking about? Every work email = public? So There's no such thing as a reasonable expectation of privacy in a private email???

I think we've lost the thread here pretty badly, people don't even know what they're arguing for anymore.

Are you all for zero privacy? Or just really excited about being anti-racism?

Oct 14, 2021, 13:32
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 13:32
Oct 14, 2021, 13:32
 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:23:
Yes, there is a difference between people's public, professional and private lives -- in general. However, when you have a very public job, like a football coach or a politician the amount of privacy you are allowed is reduced. This is known, even by the most idiotic members of both those clubs. And both clubs come with privileges as a partial reward for the loss of that privacy. It is a life choice. If you want to dance to the music, you have to pay the musicians.

Really? So if you have a certain job in the private sector, you lose ALL privacy rights? Where is that written?

Oct 14, 2021, 13:31
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 13:31
Oct 14, 2021, 13:31
 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:12:
Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 13:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 12:29:
Slick wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 12:12:
/rant
Imagine the head of hiring is “as racist as they want“
Yeah NO Protest

Yeah, in their private life. Not their professional life. OBVIOUSLY.
I’d prefer may Sunday pastor did not toss the rope over the hanging tree during a Saturday night lynching.
As others have stated, if you’re so stupid that you post your hate in a permanent medium then you deserve what you get.

Conflating being a pastor preaching a sermon with someone sending a private email is very intellectually dishonest.

You can't claim to stand for individual rights if you completely abandon them the minute you don't agree with the person's views. It's not just "good enough" for people who you agree with, individual rights are not subject to the whims of your taste.

Oct 14, 2021, 13:18
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 13:18
Oct 14, 2021, 13:18
 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 12:53:
As for the privacy issue... these emails were found in an investigation which had nothing to do Gruden. So he was without a doubt "collateral damage". But you can't seriously think the NFL could see those emails and say nothing and let Gruden continue in the league? The cover-up is always worse. Besides while Gruden (and anyone else) does have a right to think and say anything he wants to, he does not have the right to be free from consequences of his speech.

It wasn't public speech! Should he face public consequences for something he said in confidence?

Absolutely absurd.

The argument you and everyone here but me apparently seem to be making is that there is no such thing as privacy. That ANYTHING you say in private is fair play to publically define you, ruin you, and destroy your public reputation.

Take a step back, let the anti-racism virtue-signaling settle down, and think real hard about what you're proposing.

No more privacy, you can't even think an impure thought or the mob will get you.

Martin Luther King Jr. in his private life could have hated white people, In fact what do you think the chances are that he NEVER said a bad thing about a white person? Probably pretty low, right? But publically he made more of a push for equality and normalizing race relations than we've possibly ever seen. He's a marvel tof civil rights that we haven't seen since the 60's. That's what matters. Do you want to dig into his private affairs like the FBI did to reveal his infidelity so you can publically shame him? Is it right to invade someone's privacy to show their public image isn't "all that squeaky clean" to try and tar and feather them?

Something tells me y'all will have a much different point of view with my example above instead of the racist. This means you don't actually stand for individual rights at all, you just think that the ends justify the means. The intellectually honest argument still works if when talking about a character who we all think is vile.

Oct 14, 2021, 13:07
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 13:07
Oct 14, 2021, 13:07
 Slick

NKD wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 12:43:
Frankly, a co-worker of mine can be as racist as they want in their private life, it's none of my damned business.

Do you really believe people can just turn on and off their racism like a switch? Yeah, people can refrain from tossing slurs around if they are careful, but the underlying way of thinking can't be toggled off.

Let's see what you think of a co-workers racism as being "none of your damned business" when you're the Black guy getting laid off.

I think that people's private thoughts are private, and private conversations are private. Is this a hard concept to understand?

People have professional/public lives, and private lives. They're not the same.

If you only defend that concept when it's convenient, then you don't actually believe it, and you think that everyone's private lives deserve to be public for all to see.

And if you want to morph me into a racist for this, then the pretzel-twisting is approaching olympic gymnastics.

Oct 14, 2021, 13:03
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 13:03
Oct 14, 2021, 13:03
 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 14, 2021, 12:29:
/rant
Imagine the head of hiring is “as racist as they want“
Yeah NO Protest

Yeah, in their private life. Not their professional life. OBVIOUSLY.

Oct 14, 2021, 12:12
Slick

Re: Madden NFL 22 Removing Gruden Oct 14, 2021, 12:12
Oct 14, 2021, 12:12
 Slick

So these were professional emails or private? Using private conversations as a public means to get someone fired and destroy their career is pretty fucked up. And you can't just back up on "well, shouldn't have been racist then guy!"

It's a bullshit argument. Frankly, a co-worker of mine can be as racist as they want in their private life, it's none of my damned business. The idea that I could drag someone's private conversation into public discourse and be the righteous one is ridiculous. If it was a business email, that's a different story obviously.

Reminds me of that Donald Sterling thing where he lost the Clippers because he privately told his black girlfriend that she could fuck all the black guys she wanted, just don't bring them to his basketball games. Damn you liberals for making me stand with old rich fucks. Goddamn.

How did the left let it get like this? Since when is the party of progressivism apparently against privacy? And for public lynchings? (Irony abounds, I know) Are we circling the whole purity test of "if you don't have anything to hide, then you shouldn't care"? What I say to someone in private can become a topic of the national conversation? And everyone is cool with that? This is beyond "papers, please", this is full on thought-police, and citizens are the ones narcing on each other. Just cause they weild so much power with this mob that loves to virtue signal, they get off on shutting people's lives down.

P.S. You ever notice that in group conversation, if the topic even vaguely steers towards something "dicey" like race, the ultra-libs start getting all nervous. They're like "Ooooh boy! Don't wanna touch that one! ahahahaha!" Meanwhile everyone else is just having a rational dispassionate conversation, and then the libber starts breaking out in a flop sweat. Ever see that? I see that often. It's a huge tell to me. It's because they know. They know better than most what their side is capable of doing. They know the price to be paid. It's the exact same reason why republicans are all still lining up behind Trump and the big lie, because they know what their side is capable of. So much fear. It sucks.

/rant

Re: Google Countersues Epic Games
Oct 14, 2021, 03:27
Slick

Re: Google Countersues Epic Games Oct 14, 2021, 03:27
Oct 14, 2021, 03:27
 Slick

fakespyder wrote on Oct 13, 2021, 21:37:
Anyone else picturing two hot chicks throwing wads of cash at each other?
Yeah, me neither Lonely
been locked down too long
I lul'd

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
Oct 4, 2021, 03:53
Slick

Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 4, 2021, 03:53
Oct 4, 2021, 03:53
 Slick

Earlyworm wrote on Oct 3, 2021, 21:13:
And he was kind enough to include this link Why Microsoft is calling Windows 10 'the last version of Windows'

"Microsoft" never called it that. This was never an official statement from Microsoft, this was just one guy at a conference that said it.

Edit: spelling.

I didn't know that. And I know the burden of proof isn't on you exactly, but I'd love to know the genesis of this story. I have read the counterpoint a lot, that it was to be the last OS MS would make, drawing parallels with OSX.

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
Oct 4, 2021, 03:51
Slick

Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 4, 2021, 03:51
Oct 4, 2021, 03:51
 Slick

Tried 11 a week ago, I liked it. But right-clicking and having an extra menu to click through to enqueue a track in winamp was frustrating.

Auto-HDR is a cool feature, but I found that it was over-exposing highlights in most games. So, work in progress, but definitely a great tech for longevity of older games as we all move towards a 10-bit colourspace.

Then my computer started rebooting anytime I ran Battlefield V. So.... I rolled back to Windows 10. At least that process was very painless.

Re: 23andMe Provides Titanfall Reassurance
Sep 23, 2021, 17:16
Slick

Re: 23andMe Provides Titanfall Reassurance Sep 23, 2021, 17:16
Sep 23, 2021, 17:16
 Slick

Blue wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 15:49:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 14:51:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 23, 2021, 14:40:
Did i miss something? what the hell is this even about?

Just some particularly bad jokes from Blue, the quoted text is all that came out of Respawn's Twitter.
I resent that. I make plenty of other jokes just as bad all over the place.

But I don't usually do it in headlines like I used to 25 years ago, so I think I overdid it here. I changed the headline to avoid some of the confusion it was obviously generating.

Don't listen to the haters playa. You should run this ship like The Inquirer used to do, or how The Register still mostly does. If there aren't at least 3 puns in the headline, it ain't worth reading.

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite
Sep 23, 2021, 00:35
Slick

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 23, 2021, 00:35
Sep 23, 2021, 00:35
 Slick

MondoCalrissian wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 23:52:
Epic built their empire by stealing game ideas from smaller studios and locking games to their platform. There are no heroes here.

You know that Valve hasn't had an original idea since the original Half-Life right? All of their games were bought out from the modders or indy studios that made them. Counter-strike, Left 4 Dead, Day of Defeat, Portal, Ricochet, Dota 2...

And Epic is far from the first platform to play the exclusive game, in fact, they're pretty late to the party. What they do provide is a fair cut to developers, who (lo and behold) actually appreciate listing their games on EGS, it means they get more money, cuz they're giving less of each sale away to a credit-card processor. Oh, and they give out a shit ton of free games to us gamers, all on their dime. The only thing which makes EGS inferior is it's lacking some features of their store compared to Steam. Which is like complaining about the scent of the air freshener in a new car.

But you know, continue to frame this argument of Epic v Apple like they're both equals. Sweeny might be a dick, but he's been good for the gaming industry. Good for the developers, and good for the gamers. Shit I have like 30 full free games from EGS without barely buying anything form them. Winning! And the few titles I have bought I actually feel good about giving that money to the people who made the art that's enhanced my life throughout the years. Apple on the other hand is just awful, ESPECIALLY for anyone even trying to compare a windows PC to OSX. Apple has more or less abandoned their desktop platform for iOS about a decade ago and haven't looked back. Fuck em. Also their shit outdated overpriced hardware can get bent.

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite
Sep 22, 2021, 23:36
Slick

Re: Tim Sweeney Decries Apple Blacklisting Fortnite Sep 22, 2021, 23:36
Sep 22, 2021, 23:36
 Slick

Philll wrote on Sep 22, 2021, 21:27:
Why isn't Sweeney happy just having it on one app store? Google Play? That breeds healthy competition right? Isn't it childish to bemoan what stores games are available on?

This idiot is so chock full of contradictions it's hard to know where to start sometimes.

The million-dollar question is when will Super Mario appear on an Xbox? Or Halo on a Playstation? When people whine about platform exclusives they seem to be missing the elephant in the room... people too busy arguing over which PC credit-card payment processor is superior, and which is literally Hitler.
4542 Comments. 228 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    228  ] Older