Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 2204 (Senior)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steep Released
12. Re: Steep Released Dec 3, 2016, 20:03 Slick

pfft, the height of snowboarding excellence was obviously 1080 snowboarding for the N64.

BTW I played the beta of this game, it's awful.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Patch
2. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Patch Dec 3, 2016, 19:52 Slick

GinRummy wrote on Dec 3, 2016, 14:19:
So this bug was the WD2 version of "A taco truck on every corner" but with donuts?

I see what you did there.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

News Comments > Prey Gameplay Video
9. Re: Prey Gameplay Video Dec 2, 2016, 15:52 Slick

Acleacius wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 15:43:
Bethesda probably tried to make Human Head use that piece of crap id engine, just like they did with Arkane.

Human Head used the Doom 3 engine on "Prey". So not really sure where you're going with this argument. Precedent has been set. The engine looks fine, it's very clean-looking, and the organic alien stuff happening is a nice contrast, those animations are very striking. Still, wish it was more colourful, I wanna be in a mind-fuck-space-rave.

News Comments > Prey Gameplay Video
8. Re: Prey Gameplay Video Dec 2, 2016, 15:49 Slick

Alamar wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 12:19:

The whole name thing still turns me off, but I like what I'm seeing... Reminds of some of the mechanics in BioShock, and a few other shooters, which is a good thing ; )

I was thinking the same thing, this has Bioshock written all over it, with a smidge of dishonoured perhaps?

I'm hoping that there's alot of mind-fuckery that they're not spoiling with these trailers, as that was the best part of the original. Although there's a decent bit of mind fuckery going on in that trailer. I like the mimic stuff, I've always been paranoid that my coffee mug was trying to kill me, now it's justified!

Also, I REALLY liked the colour palette in the first Prey, so far this "sequel" isn't as inspiring colour-wise. I mean, it's clean and still very pretty, but something about that old Doom 3 engine with a kaleidoscope of colour always makes me blush.

News Comments > Steep Season Pass Detailed
7. Re: Steep Season Pass Detailed Dec 1, 2016, 11:28 Slick

ItBurn wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 09:50:
Slick wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 05:32:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 22:50:
Did you play it with a controller or Mouse and Keyboard?

both, mostly controller though. at least the input isn't totally borked *coughlikewatchdogs1cough* it's just the control scheme.

they've managed to take all of the fun out of the genre, you just press "go fast" to go faster, and your character auto-navigates any bumps or curves in the terrain. Your only job is to not run into trees.

It's Forza frozen mountain edition.

I dunno. It definitely makes you go faster if you move to the right spots. Your speed isn't only determined by you pressing "accelerate". Also, your character doesn't auto-navigate... Maybe you chose poor words. You definitely have to go around obstacles or else you lose speed. Gravity will push you down a bump though, which is normal... Going down the mountain without crashing is easy, yes, but doing it faster and with a better score is the challenge.

I chose GREAT words, I have the BEST words.

Anyways, my point is still that yes, you have to navigate around obstacles. I was using "navigate" in another equally valid sense of tilting your skiis up/down/left/right "navigating" all the curves of the mountain. That part is done for you. It's like you're riding on the softest shocks on the planet. It's really a driving simulator.

Play 1080 snowboarding and you'll see what I mean when a game does it "right". That game only had one analog stick, and still managed to be 10x more satisfying control-wise than steep.

Here's the controls:

"left (only) stick controls board pitch and yaw/roll"

gravity does the rest.

You actually have to READ the mountain, and keep your board flexed the right way to navigate the curves of the course. The better you grip the mountain, the better your speed.

no "auto-navigate", no "press this button to go faster".

best snowboarding game ever made. made in 1996. sad.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Released
26. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Released Dec 1, 2016, 11:16 Slick

Retired wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 06:51:
driving changed it's sensitivity so drastically depending on how fast you turned the wheel. LOL.

Not trying to nit pick, but might be a bad example. You ever half crank a steering wheel instantly in a car at 60? I have.

My point is that the tires don't turn more or less depending on how fast you turn the wheel. they're locked at a fixed ratio.

Yes, "half cranking at 60" (sounds like the weirdly perverse, definitely old-man motto of this forum) will "dun get you flipped round" or whathaveyou. That's just physics.

Doesn't change the fact that the tires turn at a constant rate no matter how fast or slow you're jerking the wheel.

If i was a high sensitivity player, i could easily flip the FPS sights round too much. doesn't change that the behaviour, whatever I set it to, will be the same always.

24. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Released Dec 1, 2016, 05:39 Slick

If anyone's still reading this thread, make sure to ENABLE temporal filtering. It's basically the samething as checkboard rendering that the PS4 pro is using for fake 4k right now.

you GAIN like 50% FPS by turning it on with MSAA x2, it's crazy. picture quality looks indistinguishable from without it.

Nvidia has a great writeup blog post about all the settings that's worth checking out in this game.

And to anyone who can't tell the difference between forced positive and negative acceleration on the mouse in 2016... I just have no words. I know I'm an FPS snob, but to me it's totally unacceptable. Yes you "can" technically play it, but I'm not lying when I tell you that moving your mouse 1 inch could move your crosshairs 10 degrees, or 180 degrees laterally, depending on how fast you move the mouse. That is not a PC game, it's a console controller scheme that's been ported to mouse inputs.

You're not controlling a mouse, you're controlling an analog stick emulator.

I can only imagine if a car you were driving changed it's sensitivity so drastically depending on how fast you turned the wheel. LOL. people would probably notice then...

5. Re: Steep Season Pass Detailed Dec 1, 2016, 05:32 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 22:50:
Did you play it with a controller or Mouse and Keyboard?

both, mostly controller though. at least the input isn't totally borked *coughlikewatchdogs1cough* it's just the control scheme.

they've managed to take all of the fun out of the genre, you just press "go fast" to go faster, and your character auto-navigates any bumps or curves in the terrain. Your only job is to not run into trees.

It's Forza frozen mountain edition.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month
12. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 05:26 Slick

you know what, I think I'll just copy paste what I said from a thread a couple days ago:

------

You want everything to be sold through Walmart, cause it's simpler to just buy from Walmart.

Fuck Walmart.

Clicking a different icon on your desktop is not a bridge too far. Having a 100mb app on your 3TB hard drive isn't reason to boycott.

There's no good reason to buy a Uplay game on steam, and they SHOULD stop doing it. But as the market has spoken, there's enough people out there who say: "I only buy games through steam" to make it worth their while.

Steam takes a cut comparable to a publisher. 30% of gross is a lot. if the developer's profit is only 50% of gross (other 50% is development costs, marketing etc.), steam takes literally more (30%) than the actual game developers get (20%).

And for this fee, they:

A) don't pay for any development of the game

B) don't pay for any marketing or advertising of the game besides appearing in the steam store.

C) don't even pay the pennies required to host the damn game for download, that still goes through Uplay.

and for all of that, you now have 2x DRM programs you have to have launched simultaneously to play your game. It's ridiculous. And the only reason it still exists is because people say: "I only shop at Walmart".

And don't even get me started on the hypocracy with Steam. They sued their publisher (Vivendi) in a 4-year legal battle for the right to sell their own shit in their own store, without a 3rd party taking a huge cut. Sound familiar? And guess what? People were up in arms about it. "I have to download some online DRM to play the single-player HalfLife 2?! Are you fucking kidding me!? People had torches and pitchforks and were out for GabeN's head on a pike. Now they revere Steam like it's a religion, and are armed to the teeth in opposition to any other developer selling their own games on their own store. How hilariously circuitous.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month
11. Re: Assassin's Creed III for Free Next Month Dec 1, 2016, 05:19 Slick

rist3903 wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 21:44:
Now if only this were on steam instead of uplay.

Yeah, fuck free things. I only accept free things if they're handed out at walmart.

I swear, there's this underground contingent on this forum that's hell-bent on making me blow my brains out.

2. Re: Steep Season Pass Detailed Nov 30, 2016, 22:40 Slick

played the beta, the game is fucking awful. not worth $5 on sale.

the controls are ridiculous, they essentially made a driving game. there's an input to "go faster" and to "slow down" instead of just carving the curves of the mountain properly, and being rewarded for it, you just hold "go faster" and the AI handles all of that tedious "skiing" stuff.

Also, it looks like a browser flash game from 1999.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1080 snowboarding for the N64 had 10x the satisfaction of this drivel. And that's not me being old and crusty, that's just really bad development decisions. Any decision that takes control away from the player is a red flag that it will be a shit game.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
35. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Nov 30, 2016, 03:03 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 23:24:
LOL -- no worries. I admit I am a curmudgeon.

To me it would be like if you had to use different browsers for various web-sites. I don't want to have multiple digital distribution applications. I want it all in one place. And if Ubisoft doesn't want to give up some of the cash to Steam, don't put it on the platform. *shrug*

My real gripe is with the lack of identification of the requirements.

Right side of the steam page in gold lettering:

"Requires 3rd-Party Account: Uplay (Supports Linking to Steam Account)"

And as for not wanting more than one distribution platform, think of it this way:

You want everything to be sold through walmart, you want every other independant store that sells that kind of goods to not exist, cause it's simpler to just buy from walmart.

Fuck walmart.

If I make my own product, I should be able to sell it myself without the sky falling from users that are too stuck in their ways to click a different icon on their desktop.

There's no good reason to buy a Uplay game on steam, and they SHOULD stop doing it. But as the market has spoken, there's enough people out there who say: "I only buy games through steam" to make it worth their while.

Steam takes a cut comparable to a publisher. 30% of gross is a lot. if the developer's profit is only 50% of gross (other 50% is development costs, marketing etc.), steam takes literally more (30%) than the actual game developers get (20%).

And for this fee, they:

A) don't pay for any development of the game

B) don't pay for any marketing or advertising of the game besides appearing in the steam store.

C) don't even pay the pennies required to host the damn game for download, that still goes through Uplay.

and for all of that, you now have 2x DRM programs you have to have launched simultaneously to play your game. It's ridiculous. And the only reason it still exists is because people say: "I only shop at walmart".

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Trial This Week
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2016, 02:53 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 02:26:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 22:28:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 21:49:
Maybe when they price it appropriately... (60€ currently and no sale) and when they do, MP is gonna be dead. So nah ;/ Burned by Titanfall 1, not gonna do that again. And sure, matches were great fun, for about 3 weeks, then the population dropped like a orbital space rod of doom.

Why bother with a trial when there is no sale for the game?

Well, it has a full (actually well done) SP campaign, and all the future MP maps and mode DLCs are free for everyone. So there's that.

They can't come out with new MP maps fast enough, as the ones in the game right now are kinda bla. They designed them more around titans this time, and less around pilots, which is a bit disappointing. Still lots of fun though, titanfall def has something going for it that no other game does, and that's hard to say about a lot of AAA games.

It appears the SP is not available in the trial? Here's the title page of the EA Website:

Experience This Holiday’s Highest Rated Shooter with the Titanfall 2 Free Multiplayer Trial

sp is 6-8 hours, could easily be beaten in the trial time.

first FPS sp that had me caring about anything in a while, even then, it was very little. But I did have a gleam oh what it felt like beating HL2 when it was over. weird as its closer to a cod than HL. cods were always just sooooo bad.

11. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Released Nov 30, 2016, 02:46 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 30, 2016, 00:10:
NKD wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 23:44:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 21:32:
Driving sucks. The cops are fucking insane, and even if you are in the same vehicle they are in they can auto catch up to you (including watching a police boat take off after a co-op partner at 120mph across the bay). They still haven't fixed the play with friends seamless'ness yet. When you open your phone you can loose all controls (mouse and keyboard) up to 10 seconds), few random crashes, WAY to fucking happy and cheerful and 'LIKE OMG LIKE WE ARE HACKERS!' bullshit. I miss the more darker tone with the first game.

The driving seems fine to me. Cars are vastly more controllable than the previous game. I can actually use M+KB instead of swapping to a controller and praying every time I get in a car. True, the cops drive like maniacs. Cops are harder to evade if you don't use the hacks or otherwise run them off the road. I have no problems with the multiplayer. Opening my phone doesn't fuck anything up. Haven't had a crash. But yes it's true the protagonist is not Autistic Batman Ripoff and the game isn't set in Shitcago. The tone of the game is appropriate to the setting.

Frankly I appreciate a game that has a cheerful progressive message now and then, rather than the hopeless despair that real life is.

Cheerful progressive message? Please don't even get me started on stealing money from people in ANY Watch Dogs game.

I also had no problems finishing WD1 with Mouse and Keyboard.

Also the game has some sorta anti-cheat, and my copy is perfectly legit, but have gotten a message a few times about how I couldn't connect to people until Anti-Cheat was turned back on. Also had the game crash and crash Uplay as well (which surprised me).

I think the "cheerful message" he was talking about was the camaraderie amongst people of a like mind, fighting the good fight against the capitalist corporate overlords. As opposed to settling a personal vendetta. And for the record I didn't find the first one too dour, it just kinda dragged on. I cared about Aiden in the first 5 hours, and couldn't care less about him by the end, just didn't have any characterizations that made me care. He seemed like he would be a lousy guy to have a drink with.

10. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Released Nov 30, 2016, 02:35 Slick

So I'm guessing that the 3x people posting here that played the first game with KB+M didn't spend any time aiming or shooting...?

The game STILL has a disastrous amount of positive AND negative acceleration. It's baked into the engine. You can't mod it out, and at no point since the game's release 2.5 years ago have they decided it's worth fixing.

Moving your mouse 1 physical inch can be either moving your crosshairs 10 degrees, or 180 degrees depending on how fast you do it. it's BY FAR the WORST KB+M implementation in a PC game in over a decade.

For a game with very promising multiplayer, it was disappointing. very.

The sequel doesn't suffer from this, for that alone it's leagues ahead of the game to where the last one left off.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
33. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Nov 29, 2016, 22:57 Slick

I'm sorry, are people really still adamantly against a 100mb app living on your computer? Is it 2016? I liked this better then it was 2004 and people were saying the exact same things about steam.

Really get over it. UPlay has been required even if you buy from steam for like 5+ years.

I don't see why people would even want to or defend the practice of giving 30% of your money to a company that had NOTHING to do with building the game. Shit, steam doesn't even distribute it, you DL it through Uplay. It's just signing a 30% check to a middleman who provides nothing. If anything it's more cumbersome because now you HAVE to launch steam AND uplay anytime you want to play the game, instead of just buying it from the people who built it.

so tired of this conversation.

I can only imagine if people said that they'd only buy a whopper if sold by mcdonalds. That they hated going inside a burger king store SOOOO MUCH that they'd rather have the "convenience" of buying a whopper in a mcdonalds, only for the mcdonalds attendant hand them a whopper coupon redeemable at a burger king. it's beyond ridiculous. Also McDonalds keeps 30% of the cost, just cause.... convenience.

BUY YOUR FUCKING WHOPPER AT BURGER KING AND STOP WHINING THAT USING A STOREFRONT YOU DON'T LIKE IS A REAL-WORLD PROBLEM. It's not even that you have to get in your car and drive across town to the other store, it's a FUCKING APP ON YOUR DESKTOP. YOU CLICK IT. THAT'S THE INCONVENIENCE YOU'RE SO AGAINST.

and FFS, you got the game FOR FREE/ You're complaining about something that's FREE. This isn't even a question of store loyalty, you aren't paying anything! there's no transaction happening! You're givin something for free, and you throw a hissyfit and come to forums like this to egg others on into the perpetual cycle of "AM I RITE GUYS!? THIS IS BULLSHIT! HUH? AM I RITE??"

/rant

nothing personal, just very very tired of this. Man I just re-read my post, TRIGGERED ^_^

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2016, 23:08.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 29, 2016, 22:46 Slick

Oh Canada  

3. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Released Nov 29, 2016, 22:35 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 21:32:
Driving sucks. The cops are fucking insane, and even if you are in the same vehicle they are in they can auto catch up to you (including watching a police boat take off after a co-op partner at 120mph across the bay). They still haven't fixed the play with friends seamless'ness yet. When you open your phone you can loose all controls (mouse and keyboard) up to 10 seconds), few random crashes, WAY to fucking happy and cheerful and 'LIKE OMG LIKE WE ARE HACKERS!' bullshit. I miss the more darker tone with the first game.

Oh come on, the game shipped in a far better condition for the PC that the last WD game is STILL in. I can't overstate that enough, WD_1 for PC is still impossible to play with KB+M. The few bugs and balance issues will iron themselves out. The game is tons of fun.

My only real gripe is that it's not very visually impressive. I wish I could turn up the sliders on how many pedestrians and cars there were in a given moment. Although I'm sure it will be modded, just like the last one.

News Comments > TrackMania Cars Coming to ShootMania
1. Re: TrackMania Cars Coming to ShootMania Nov 29, 2016, 22:31 Slick

wait WHAT!?

This is huge, so glad they've continually been developing for this game over what, 5-6 years now?

If you live on the eastcoast you'll be in luck, as you can play the (populated) euro servers without any discernable lag. Westcoast however... I mean there's like 1-2 active US servers usually... with a total of 5 people playing...

Really a shame, the movement is good, the shooting mechnics are good, and it's a Nadio custom-level bonanza as always. Everytime i fire it up, I'm playing something new, never played the same map twice.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Trial This Week
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 29, 2016, 22:28 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2016, 21:49:
Maybe when they price it appropriately... (60€ currently and no sale) and when they do, MP is gonna be dead. So nah ;/ Burned by Titanfall 1, not gonna do that again. And sure, matches were great fun, for about 3 weeks, then the population dropped like a orbital space rod of doom.

Why bother with a trial when there is no sale for the game?

Well, it has a full (actually well done) SP campaign, and all the future MP maps and mode DLCs are free for everyone. So there's that.

They can't come out with new MP maps fast enough, as the ones in the game right now are kinda bla. They designed them more around titans this time, and less around pilots, which is a bit disappointing. Still lots of fun though, titanfall def has something going for it that no other game does, and that's hard to say about a lot of AAA games.

2204 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo