Total Posts
4467 (Master)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

4467 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    224  ] Older

Re: Battlefield 2042 Has Neither Campaign nor Battle Royale Modes
Jun 11, 2021, 17:08
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 Has Neither Campaign nor Battle Royale Modes Jun 11, 2021, 17:08
Jun 11, 2021, 17:08
 Slick

PSA: you can progress by playing against bots. They did this with SWBF2 co-op. Same xp rate, valid in MP.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Jun 9, 2021, 23:04
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 Has Neither Campaign nor Battle Royale Modes Jun 9, 2021, 23:04
Jun 9, 2021, 23:04
 Slick

BF4 still feels better than BFV for me. I like the pacific ww2 maps, but the combat is not as satisfying.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October
Jun 9, 2021, 21:12
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 21:12
Jun 9, 2021, 21:12
 Slick

But they were just being edgelords! LOL You just didn't get it! You see they were making fun of the fact that people are so mad. Their comedy is just over your head dude, you're not hip enough. It was a big meta-commentary on society, and not uneducated mouth-breathers projecting their fuckwit bile towards anyone dumb enough to listen.

Really though, it was pretty sad. And as per the #1 comment on the 2042 official trailer: "this got more likes in one hour than the BFV trailer ever did"

Yep.

Jun 9, 2021, 21:07
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 Has Neither Campaign nor Battle Royale Modes Jun 9, 2021, 21:07
Jun 9, 2021, 21:07
 Slick

While I bite the hand that feeds me from my EA overlord masters here, I'll say that it's fucking annoying having to scrounge all this information from different sources. They want to disseminate crucial info through popular youtubers and e-rags instead of a clear, concise video explaining everything in detail, from the horses' mouth. They did this with BFV and I thought it was awful then too. Yeah, they had a big reveal trailer, and this mock show with Trevor Noah talking to devs, but they didn't answer any questions anyone cared about. For that, they gave the answers to JackFrags, LevelCap, Matimio etc. So that you had to dig deeper to find the real story, and it would be coming from a hip youtuber who you can trust, not gross corporate EA.

Jun 9, 2021, 21:02
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 Has Neither Campaign nor Battle Royale Modes Jun 9, 2021, 21:02
Jun 9, 2021, 21:02
 Slick

Avus wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 20:17:
MP only, no BR (not really care for this), no Single play campaign, $60US (meaning $90 Cdn) AAA full price, more $$ for battle pass, more $$ for MTX.... no thanks, not my jam

I hate having to moonlight as the resident EA shill here, but there's nothing that affects gameplay for sale as microtransactions or in a Battlepass. This will be the third game DICE has released where all the new maps, game modes, weapons, vehicles, characters, and abilities are free for everyone who buys the base game. MTX and Battlepasses are just for cosmetics. You aren't going to miss anything other than skins for a first-person game (stupidest thing ever) by not getting a battlepass.

Just cause the live service model failed in BFV cause "everyone" hated that game, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. We got 3 years of free shit for SWBF2, and nobody had to pay another dime. As opposed to a $60 game plus $50 for all the expansion packs for all Battlefield games in the last 10 years prior.

Jun 9, 2021, 19:15
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 19:15
Jun 9, 2021, 19:15
 Slick

And you're right, it's totally an age-related issue. It's just upsetting that us fogeys aren't setting a better example for all the younglings. They're too young to have real opinions of their own, so they just parrot shit they pick up in the hate-fueled echo chamber of the internet. And the rest of us just watch it happen, watching Rome burn.

Who wants to make a BF 2042 clan with me? Fogeys only. I call founder.

Jun 9, 2021, 19:13
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 19:13
Jun 9, 2021, 19:13
 Slick

I think for the increase in map size they're talking about, you might need AI for it not to feel empty.

Plus the AI would have to be handled server-side for sure, unless you're playing solo then your CPU would have the handle all the AI.

I guess I've been watching too much Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator 2 footage, where they can render 1,000,000+ units onscreen all their their own AI, they just do it on a GPU. It's pretty nuts.

I don't think that 64p+32ai per side is too much. Current-Gen consoles are fucking beasts. 8 cores, 16 threads, can utilize DX12 finally properly, SSDs etc. It's more than enough. And the AI is pretty lite from what I've experimented with CPU-wise from SWBF2.

I mean shit, Planetside 2 plays fine on a PS4, and that's 256 people per map.

Jun 9, 2021, 19:01
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 19:01
Jun 9, 2021, 19:01
 Slick

Just to continue this little side-tirade a bit:

Think about how many people haaaated the BFV trailer, when objectively there wasn't anything terrible about it, it was an over-the-top explosion-fest showcasing some very hammy scripted "Battlefield moments". Maybe you don't like WW2, or girls, but it was exactly what one would expect from a BF trailer, yet it was UNIVERSALLY panned. Why is that?

Do you think that most of these people would have reached this conclusion on their own? If they had no external influences, never read a Reddit comment, a Youtube comment, or spoke to anyone about this trailer, how many people do you think would have ABSOLUTELY HATED it, so much to try boycotting the game? Probably not that many. How many people were really SO OFFENDED at the inclusion of women in a WW2 game? As if millions of angry teenagers are actually budding historians who care about realism in a franchise where you can RPG jets. The answer is nobody would have given a shit unless they learned they need to be giving a shit, that this is a hill worth dying on.

Reminds me of Star Wars "fans" who all learned what a "Mary Sue" character is right around when Ep. 7 introduced us to a female lead. Right! We're all outraged! Don't you know that Rey is just a MARY SUEEEEEE? This term I learned YESTERDAAYYYYYY?? lol. It's like bitch, Anakin Skywalker is the most Mary Stu to ever exist, he won a fucking deathrace against the best podracers in the galaxy when he'd never even piloted them once. He also managed to blow up a droid doughnut space station just by luck, oh and spinning, that's a good trick, all while he's a goddamned toddler OH AND HE BUILT C-3PO FOR THE LULZ WHEN HE WAS 6. Lol, and nobody gave a shit. Mary Sue character archetypes have existed in fiction as long as fiction has existed. But it's like overnight everyone's a fucking literary critic if it means we can use it to shit-talk a female lead in a movie. It's fucking dumb.

Jun 9, 2021, 18:50
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 18:50
Jun 9, 2021, 18:50
 Slick

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 18:21:
Brah... I still remember the ridicules' amount of absolute anger on the YouTube about female characters that woke EA included in BFV. I thought that shit was funny.

I'm not your Brah, friend. So here's the thing, if you don't obviously indicate sarcasm, then some people will read your words sincerely. "What's the harm in that?" you might ask. Most people seem to learn their opinions instead of formulating them for themselves. For instance:

Imagine a 17-year-old kid reading this thread, not having any opinion on BFV, never heard of it, had no opinion... They read your comment. Some percentage of people who read that will walk away thinking that this is an edgy angle they need to take. This is how mobs are formed, and how hate is spread. It's rarely malicious, most people don't WANT to create an angry mob, but they sometimes enable a mob's creation simply by perpetuating hateful speech. And it's especially dangerous when it's just repeated without any sense of irony "for the lols" you might just think it's funny, but it keeps it alive.

I mean I could do my best impression of a racist xenophobe by saying some stupid hateful shit, because I find racism and xenophobia HILARIOUS. But not everyone that reads my deadpan will understand that I'm just trying to be an edgelord. And for everyone in a public space that reads it thinking: "oh I get the irony, it's funny cause it's awful", there will be someone else who reads it as "oh I get it, it's funny because it's true".

Jun 9, 2021, 18:25
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 18:25
Jun 9, 2021, 18:25
 Slick

Also YES! 128 players and huge maps!

!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battlefield 1942 had 64 players in 2001, and the scale was unprecedented.

It's taken 20 years for them to raise the player count, which in turn changes the dynamics of the game.

It's not just "moar = bigger and epic" it means the way you play the game is different. The way you can play a CoD 6v6 game is very different from 32v32. And now 64v64 (plus AI on top of that, as I've predicted earlier) changes the dynamics of how battlefield will be played.

This isn't a silly cosmetic change, or "Malibu Stacey with a hat" mechanic, this is a game-changer. Ever played Planetside 2? It plays very different from a Battlefield game.

On top of that, they seem to have killed off the only annoyances I had with Battlefield, namely getting stuck in the middle of nowhere without a ride, and spawning with the wrong weapon/optics for the engagement. Both are huge quality of life improvements.

Jun 9, 2021, 18:18
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 18:18
Jun 9, 2021, 18:18
 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 17:26:
Slick wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 16:56:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 16:40:
EA had better not allow players to choose god damned female characters this time around. That woke shit 100% broke Battlefield V's immersion and made the game very unrealistic and unplayable.

To quote Patrick Soderlund: "we don't want you playing our game" lol

Also, it made the game "unplayable"? Goddamn! Snowflake, doesn't take a lot to make you wither.

I mean, there are multiple females clearly visible in the trailer, and it's modern-era, so you know, womyn can do things men can, like vote. Hate to break the news you obviously 120-year-old man.
Riahderymnmaddog was being sarcastic. That's his schtick. Satire is hard to with just text.

I was 50% sure it was trolling. Still wouldn't have changed my response however.

It's a public message board, not a 1 on 1 conversation. Anyone can read whatever they want into people's words. Just cause you and I see the troll for what they are, doesn't mean any random stumbling across this thread will get the "joke". And besides, we live and breathe the same reality, don't you think it's prudent to think twice about people's real intentions when they spout misogynist shit in a gaming forum? It's 2021 dude, and this is why we can't have nice things.

Jun 9, 2021, 16:56
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 16:56
Jun 9, 2021, 16:56
 Slick

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 16:40:
EA had better not allow players to choose god damned female characters this time around. That woke shit 100% broke Battlefield V's immersion and made the game very unrealistic and unplayable.

To quote Patrick Soderlund: "we don't want you playing our game" lol

Also, it made the game "unplayable"? Goddamn! Snowflake, doesn't take a lot to make you wither.

I mean, there are multiple females clearly visible in the trailer, and it's modern-era, so you know, womyn can do things men can, like vote. Hate to break the news you obviously 120-year-old man.

Jun 9, 2021, 16:36
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 16:36
Jun 9, 2021, 16:36
 Slick

This basically looks like modern-day, compared to the CoD near-future setting which had all soldiers wearing exoskeletons and able to double-jump and wall-run...

Really it's the least interesting part IMO.

128 players is far more exciting.

My prediction is that AI soldiers will be added ON TOP of the 128 human players.

One of the most recent things DICE has done is add AI to SWBF2, and they're present in the new Supremacy game mode, where it's 20v20 players, with 12v12 AI, so 64 entities total. And it works surprisingly well, on last-gen consoles too. They even have working AI using tanks, starfighters, special units, and heroes. All 22 Heroes in the game know how to flank, attack, and use their different abilities properly. It's very impressive. DICE has come a long way with their AI, and have put a renewed focus on it in the past 2 years.

After pouring over the 2042 trailer over and over, I think the biggest thing they're communicating is the number of soldiers on-screen at any time.

Sure it's staged to be very cinematic, but it's like total overkill. Even with 2x the player count, the maps are like 4x as big, that would still mean they're 1/2 as full... we're missing something here.

Check out the launch platform of the rocket being launched, there's like 50+ soldiers in a small area, seems ridiculous. Then the street at the end of the trailer as they all notice the tornado at the same time, another 50 soldiers. Madness right? I think it's exaggerated for cinematic purposes, but I also think they're trying to communicate something here.

I think that the total count will be closer to 64 players + 32 AI per team, or even 64 AI per team. So a final count closer to 200. That would actually fill up these massive maps and make them feel full, while at the same time not breaking their servers. They already have AI working perfectly in-game with human players in SWBF2, and it's hard to tell them apart.

Jun 9, 2021, 16:19
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 16:19
Jun 9, 2021, 16:19
 Slick

Just discovered another tidbit, the shipping container map featured in the trailer (what looks like the smallest map for close infantry battles) is bigger than Caspian Boarder from BF3 and BF4. lol.

Jun 9, 2021, 15:22
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 15:22
Jun 9, 2021, 15:22
 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 15:09:
Slick wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 13:28:

Surprised how many people here are ambivalent? Or the one guy comparing it to fucking Call of Duty? What!?

That near future setting has been done by CoD a few times. It's a shame that BF didn't differentiate itself with a unique setting like Korea or a true future setting like 2143.

So what, all FPS games in a WW2 setting are just like Medal of Honor? lol.

Did you watch the trailer? this is nothing like Call of Duty. Even though Call of Duty has been trying to be more Battlefield-like in the past few years, with 2042 DICE is pulling even further into the lead. The Arctic map in 2042 is literally more than 2x the size of the CoD Blackout Battle Royale map lolol. How anyone could compare a game where the base mode is 64v64 against a game where the base mode is 6v6 is beyond me. I wonder how many CoD maps you could fit into the 5.9 square KM arctic map in 2042? Probably every map in the latest CoD game I'm guessing, possible every map in multiple CoD games...

Jun 9, 2021, 15:17
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 15:17
Jun 9, 2021, 15:17
 Slick

BigShot wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 15:05:
If they're doubling the size of the maps, then it could work that way...yes. But this is not something I am aware of. If the map sizes are not significantly larger then its just a matter of mathematics where you're sticking twice the amount of players into the same size maps and making them fight over smaller sectors now...think of Domination in COD, then make the map 5x larger so you can add more ABC capture points in various zones or sectors. The point is, once you arrive at the zone where you want to start capturing it will no longer play like the Conquest of old. Again, because you are vastly increasing the amount of players on a similar amount of total map area.

But, if they substantially increase the map area size then I could see your point. But I doubt that will be the case due to serious performance issues.

Dude, do yourself a favour and watch some youtube videos about all the info that DICE revealed to their insiders at an event 2 days ago, all the big FPS youtubers released their take on this 2 hours ago.

The Hourglass map is 4x the size of Hamada in BFV. The Arctic map is 5.9 square KM, which is about the size of the original Fortnite Battle Royale map. The maps are freaking huge.

There's absolutely nothing CoD-like about any of this. This is as Battlefield as Battlefield has ever been.

And if you watch the video I linked a few posts ago about Levelcap talking about thgis exact issue, he articulates this point better than me. With more players and the same flag cap mechanics, it would be a clusterfuck, this spreads it out more. So instead of maybe 3-4 people fighting over a flag, you have 15-20 people fighting over 2-3 flags in a wide area, and you have to cap them all to "own" that capture point.

Jun 9, 2021, 15:12
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 15:12
Jun 9, 2021, 15:12
 Slick

Rhett wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 15:02:
Slick wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 13:59:
Rhett wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 13:51:
Well, I personally think it was a crappy trailer.. there was no hype on my end.
*snip*

*snip*

Yeah, I just don't know what people actually want anymore. Like everyone universally panned the BFV reveal trailer, and I thought it was pretty cool. If you remember it was done all in one shot, while showcasing the new mechanics. But for some reason people fucking hated it, still to this day I don't know why (besides the girls in WW2 thing).

2042 was far closer to a traditional battlefield trailer than BFV. Closer to BF3, BF4, and BF1 trailers. Showcasing some imaginative rock-paper-scissors gameplay, new mechanics, all on a smattering of new maps, lots of explosions, destruction, return of levelution...

Other than the dun dun dun dun duuuun dun Battlefield audio sting, what would you have changed? I'm honestly at a loss. I don't know if this trailer is actually missing something important, or if people just generally don't like stuff as much anymore.

Jun 9, 2021, 14:30
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 14:30
Jun 9, 2021, 14:30
 Slick

To further my point, here's LevelCap talking about the increased player cap, and multi-point capture flags, overall design philosophy.

Jun 9, 2021, 14:22
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 14:22
Jun 9, 2021, 14:22
 Slick

BigShot wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 14:09:
@fuijiJuice

No, every BF game in Conquest mode has always had only 1 capture point (per sector of the map). Now there will be multiple capture points PER SECTOR, with multiple sectors. So for instance instead of capturing point A, B, C, D, E...you will now be capturing points A1,A2,A3;B1,B2,B3;C1,C2,C3, etc.

This sort of change obviously means alot more action and chokepoints per map (helooo McFly, COD wannabe?)...which to me sounds as if the BF franchise is messing with a game mode which has always worked. Why fix it if it was not broken? I just prey this new Conquest variant is optional and that they leave in the traditional way of playing this mode. Taking out or removing the original way of playing Conquest is a nail in the coffin for sure.

How is this more like CoD???

It means that the fights over a "single" flag will now be bigger, not smaller. Seems to be a mechanic tweak to account for the fact that there's now 128 players per match. You can't just double the players in a lobby and keep the same flag cap mechanics intact, it would turn into a clusterfuck.

If anything I'm assuming that it will require a team to take all sub-points on a capture point at the same time. ie. you need a squad taking each part to actually cap it. This will make working for a flag cap a bigger deal, and could lead to some good firefights with multiple squads attacking and defending points.

Jun 9, 2021, 13:59
Slick

Re: Battlefield 2042 in October Jun 9, 2021, 13:59
Jun 9, 2021, 13:59
 Slick

Rhett wrote on Jun 9, 2021, 13:51:
Well, I personally think it was a crappy trailer.. there was no hype on my end.

I don't know where to begin... that was a.... crappy..... trailer?

Listen, I'm Battlefield fanboi #1, but come on, if this trailer for was Hello Kitty Online Adventure I'd be hyped.

Sometimes I honestly think that I'm living in an alternate reality where nobody likes anything anymore.

It's like the gaming scene is eating itself with edgy jaded people who are all unimpressed by anything.

I'm not saying go out and pre-order, I'm not saying don't wait for reviews to actually buy etc... But I'd think that we could all agree that that was a pretty cool-looking trailer. From the set pieces, to the mechanics, to the maps, to the textures, to the ridiculous numbers of soldiers on-screen at any given time... This looks like the biggest advancement to the series since Bad Company first introduced Frostbite back in 2007.

4467 Comments. 224 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    224  ] Older