Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On September 4, 2012
Founding Supporter Gold, since February 28, 2020
Total Comments 4032 (Master)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Apr 6, 2020, 06:50  Slick 

Anyone buying a new laptop with an intel CPU needs their heads examined. The 4900HS is out of sight.  

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Multiplex

1. Re: Sunday Multiplex Apr 6, 2020, 05:36  Slick 

Miss indicates she's not married, Mrs. indicates she's hitched, Ms. however (pronounced "mizz") and is the only one that doesn't indicate a woman's marital status, which is why it's the "good one" to use, as frankly it's none of anyone's bizzness.  

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third Remastered Revealed

10. Re: Saints Row: The Third Remastered Revealed Apr 5, 2020, 00:19  Slick 

OpticNerve wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 22:57:
Out of all the Saints Row games that needed a remaster, they should have remade Saints Row 2. IMO, that one still has the most engaging storyline and is in need of a remaster due to how godawful the PC port is.

Yep.

So glad I played this though, thanks to Yahtzee's review on Zero Punctuation. I think as of the time of the review it was the only game he'd ever given a positive reaction.

Also looking at screenshots of SR3, yeah, it could use a remaster. Make that game for next-gen consoles and ERG MAH GURD I'd buy it in a heartbeat, throw in 4k assets, HDR, global illumination, quadruple the AI count... drooling already.

News Comments > Free Pinball FX3 Care Package

6. Re: Free Pinball FX3 Care Package Apr 5, 2020, 00:02  Slick 

Sepharo wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 19:23:
So the Pinball FX3 series has inherited the licence to make the old classic Bally, Williams, Stern, Gottlieb etc.

I didn't know that, I knew Pinball Arcade had lost them years ago but there were rumors that each were doing their own thing with various pinball devs.

I've got like 500 hours in Pinball Arcade, I love the recreations.
Pinball FX series has always felt slightly faker to me but it's still pretty good.

I feel ya, FX3's in-house tables just feel like a videogame, and all the extra nonsense they add to the "real life" tables take away from the experience. At least you can turn all those effects off, like the 3D characters, neon ball trails, and score pop-ups like a JRPG.

They released Circus Voltaire, Arabian Nights, Medieval Madness, and Theatre of Magic on FX3, which are some of my fav tables. Unfortunately you have to buy them in 3-pack bundles which come with garbage tables :/

I miss Star Trek TNG, Ripleys Believe it or Not, and some others from Pinball Arcade.

Pretty sad that neither company has ever released 4k versions for PS4 Pro/Xbox One X. Very disappointing. They have them on Steam, so the assets are done, absolutely no reason to port them to console. Games just feel better with a big TV and a controller IMO.

News Comments > Free Pinball FX3 Care Package

4. Re: Free Pinball FX3 Care Package Apr 4, 2020, 18:36  Slick 

Pinball has lasted like 100 years, so it has legs (and balls). Physical machines are still being built. The new Stern "Stranger Things" table looks dope AF (see? the "kids" still love pinball).

So the Pinball FX3 series has inherited the licence to make the old classic Bally, Williams, Stern, Gottlieb etc. after they let the liscence elapse with the other company which made "Pinball Arcade", which is pretty annoying.

At least Pinball FX3 has much more realistic physics, the balls move faster and with more weight compared to Pinball Arcade where things are more floaty.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 2020, 18:49.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 3, 2020, 21:59  Slick 

Or wait 6 months and buy the new consoles which are vastly superior in every way for $500 or less.

Building a budget computer right now is like buying a the last gasoline-powered car when the world's grid has just become all electric.

8GB ram? Can't play next gen games.

500MB/sec SSD? Can't play next-gen games.

CPU and GPUs are half as fast as Xbox Series X.

FAIL

News Comments > 50K Call of Duty: Warzone Cheaters Banned

10. Re: 50K Call of Duty: Warzone Cheaters Banned Apr 1, 2020, 01:11  Slick 

I feel you Jdreyer, this is an endless circle-jerk where the developers/publishers haven't yet gotten serious about this.

It's amazing to see how little they respect their customers by letting this stuff still exist.

And don't tell me that they can't bring an actual fight if they wanted to, it'll just cost them money, and they don't actually give a fuck.

Video games are the biggest entertainment industry in the world, billions change hands every year. GTA V made over a billion in 3 days when it launched. Other industries have lobbyists representing film, television, and jesus look at the music industry and how they'll go after people, demonetizing channels if you even think about playing 30 seconds of a pop song on your livestream to 7 people... LAWL

Hackers chase their customers away, it's in their best interest to go after them. And by "go after" I mean get law enforcement to do their fucking job. And for that you'd have to get politicians to do their fucking job. And to do that you'd have to convince them that hackers costing companies money is worth their time to give a shit about.

I don't know, I feel that there's a lot of blame to go around. No one is making the right noises on this issue. Fuck em all. "they're just videogames, who cares?" Exactly. Pathetic.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered Tomorrow?

3. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered Tomorrow? Mar 30, 2020, 14:14  Slick 

Yes, this is the "No Russian" one, which is exactly what the world needs now.

I once heard an anecdote from a wealthy elderly person I know, that the only time in his life that he bought a videogame was for someone's 12 year old child, and it was CoD MW 2, because at the time it was supposedly "the big game". The child's mother nearly kicked the shit out of him LOL.

Also Houdini, BFV is getting (or has already gotten?) private servers which are free. Anyone can admin them, set the map rotation, modes, modifiers etc. I don't think there's as much control as 2142 servers when we rented them from 3rd parties, but it's pretty close.

I miss "owning" (renting) my own server, but let's be honest, it was a fucking shit show. Server companies would try to cram as many active servers into one box as possible to max profits, and some servers would just be laggy as shit. Also since they gave out the server doce for anyone to host an unranked server on their own box, then we had shit like this:

https://youtu.be/WqGNbuK1-aA

DICE making their servers all internal has greatly improved the stability of the gaming experience. And we can still make our own unranked custom servers on their dime this time, not having to pay $1.79/slot...

News Comments > Steamworks Winter Recap

1. Re: Steamworks Winter Recap Mar 28, 2020, 00:50  Slick 

Steamworks is pretty amazing, and it's incredibly easy to use for end-users. It's a shame that the little revenue stream there is for modders cuts heavily in favour of Valve, but it's still a great resource.

Food for thought, another competing company should just partner with Nexus Mods to deliver a front-end for their servers built into the game client. Now imagine that they did this and gave 88% of mod revenue for premium mods to the artists. The mod scene would explode with talented artists modding full-time, it could give them a sustainable living wage.

The mod scene has always been good, but it's never quite jumped to that next-level I think we've all been hoping for for these past decades. There's a reason by Black Mesa took 14 years, people do this stuff for schnicks as a hobby in their free time. If it was their job just think of the ridiculous stuff that we'd have at our fingertips. I'd love to support all the great talent out there more directly.

News Comments > Get World War Z, Tormentor x Punisher, and Figment for Free

6. Re: Got World War Z, Tormentor x Punisher, and Figment for Free Mar 26, 2020, 21:57  Slick 

Seems like a decent spiritual successor to Left4Dead.

Can't wait to see what this genre looks like for the next generation when instead of 100 zombies on-screen at a time they can do 10,000.

Especially each with their own AI.

I just keep thinking back to Crysis when those AI korean soldiers would track you halfway across the map. That's on our horizon again, so psyched.

News Comments > Epic Games Publishing Announced

50. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 19:57  Slick 

It's kind of nice to have an actual curated list of high-quality content, as opposed to the Alibaba Warehouse that is Steam.

I like how it's assumed that given the choice, game developers wouldn't want their game on a store that takes 12% instead of 30%. Weather it's exclusive to that store or not, shouldn't they want their games be available to the world and not have to throw stacks of paper at Valve for the privilege?

A game which doesn't use Steamworks or SteamVR doesn't need to be on Steam. It can be anywhere, the experience of the game will be 100% digitally identical no matter where you buy it from. Only the experience of launching the game is slightly different if you simply have to launch from the DRM application. If you're like me and simply double-click the shortcut on your desktop of the game you want to play, it's literally identical weather it's on uPlay, Steam, Origin, Battle.net, or EGS.

@ThePinkTiger

I hear your concerns, and they seem to mostly stem from certain games that made "a deal with the devil" to switch platforms after they took people's money from Kickstarter. EGS was only an accessory to that crime IMO.

As for "what EA did with Origin" talking about exclusives, this is a misrepresentation. They were doing EXACTLY what Valve were doing, expressing the right to self-publish the games that they themselves were making, and not having to sell them through a 3rd party for no reason who would take 30%.

47. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 19:21  Slick 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 19:03:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games
World War Z, Figment and Tormentor X Punisher

World War Z here I come. I fucking hate evil money-grubbing companies that give out free games to their customers and don't rip off their developers. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

46. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 19:13  Slick 

@Primalchrome

In the before times, in the long long ago...

Valve said "Fuck you Vivendi, we don't want to pay your outrageous cut of the profits, we deserve the right to self-publish", and they won, and everyone cheered. Now other companies have said: "Fuck you Valve, we don't want to pay your outrageous cut of the profits, we deserve the right to self-publish." And everybody booed.

I absorbed every bit of info during Steam's 4-year legal battle against Vivendi. I'm not speaking out of ignorance. I could write a novel about the good that Steam has done for PC gaming. I could also write 7 sequels about how badly they dropped the ball, how their business model has become the dream "rent seeker" scheme, how they refuse to use their accumulated wealth and good-will to actively hire developers to make games, how they don't support the industry that they've profited off of for 16 years, how they cheat modders from a fair payday for their work... it goes on and on. I could Harry Potter that bitch.

The difference between the public perception of them as a company and the reality is stark.

The public largely sees them as the scrappy upstart, the independent game devs who "showed it to the man". Supporting Valve is a way to say "fuck you" to all the other big evil companies like EA, Ubisoft, and Blizzard. GabeN runs a small family business, as wholesome as the local strawberry stall at the farmers market.

The reality is that they are a multi-billion dollar company with only 200 employees. The service they deliver costs them pennies, and they make tens of dollars per sale. They have nothing to do with funding, designing, programming, marketing, testing, or anything to do with game development for 99.999% of the products they sell. They are a digital storefront taking a cut that would make any big-box physical retail store cry with envy.

38. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 17:40  Slick 

wtf_man wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 17:36:
Avus wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 17:02:
Blizzard and EA don't offer most of that stuff either. Where's your outrage about all of their games not being on Steam?

This is why I don't even have EA Origin and any Blizzard games in my computers.

Ditto. (Not counting older games on GoG.)

Good thing you guise aren't "fan boi nerd"s or anything.

lulz

35. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 17:28  Slick 

mxmissile wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 17:16:
Fan boi nerds will still buy games from EGS, so what drives motivation to care?

So you're a "fan boi nerd" if you buy a game on a platform other than Steam?

Interesting...

34. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 17:23  Slick 

Couple points to make:

1) re: Buying out games to make them exclusive to your platform. So you mean like CounterStrike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress series, Riccochet, Left 4 Dead series, Portal series, and Dota?

You all know that Valve doesn't have original ideas, the last original IP they came up with was Half-Life. They buy them from other developers so they own them, so they can sell them on their exclusive platform.

Please, outrage away.

2) This conjecture that the Publisher will fraudulently bilk their developers by raising the "costs" just to fuck with them is absurd. You're spreading FUD. You know that the "costs" of game development also includes things like salaries for the developers right? Add in office space, electricity, computers, networking, ongoing support and online infrastructure, not to mention MARKETING which is usually equal to the cost of "actual" development.

BOTH parties agree to these budgets, no one is blindsiding the other (they're called contracts), as both will start reaping the 50/50 PROFIT split the moment all costs are covered. So it's in the best interest of both the studio and the publisher to keep them as reasonable as possible, to pay them off as quickly as possible, and start making profit as soon as possible. Why would Epic want to bill costs to say Amazon AWS servers when they don't have to? You're saying that a company wants to give money away to other companies to delay making a profit for themselves? Ludicrous. Think before you type.

14. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 13:49  Slick 

Pepe wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 13:34:
Slick wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:50:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 11:31:
Betting it will include restrictions on which platform you can release

No doubt all of these games will be permanent EGS exclusives on PC but also available on consoles despite their tyrannical 30% store "tax."

I'm guessing Epic realized that timed exclusives aren't really working out because people just wait until they're on Steam.

And for half the price too re: Boarderlands 3

And concerning the tyrannical 30% store tax on consoles, that's why PC is great, because we aren't locked into any proprietary walled-garden nonsense. We have choice. Which makes the irony all the more hilarious that a lot of PC gamers now believe that more options = bad because they want everything from one store, smells a lot like the would-be consolization of PC. There are Xbox fanbois, Playstation fanbois, and Steam fanbois, and each is worse than the last.

Or maybe we want to choose which store, you know buy from the cheapest one, since the goods are digital there is no quality difference, but of the goods are only sold in one store they can price it however they want as there is no competition which is ofc better for us the customer right? right?

You realize that there are literally tens of thousands of games only available on Steam right?

And since as you say: "since the goods are digital there is no quality difference", why wouldn't you buy it from the store that isn't kneecapping the developers?

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2020, 14:07.

11. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 12:50  Slick 

Jerykk wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 11:31:
Betting it will include restrictions on which platform you can release

No doubt all of these games will be permanent EGS exclusives on PC but also available on consoles despite their tyrannical 30% store "tax."

I'm guessing Epic realized that timed exclusives aren't really working out because people just wait until they're on Steam.

And for half the price too re: Boarderlands 3

And concerning the tyrannical 30% store tax on consoles, that's why PC is great, because we aren't locked into any proprietary walled-garden nonsense. We have choice. Which makes the irony all the more hilarious that a lot of PC gamers now believe that more options = bad because they want everything from one store, smells a lot like the would-be consolization of PC. There are Xbox fanbois, Playstation fanbois, and Steam fanbois, and each is worse than the last.

9. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 12:33  Slick 

LurkerLito wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:01:
The devs better read those terms carefully. The "Developers earn a fair share for their work -- once costs are recouped, developers earn at least 50% of all profits." was something that can be dicey. It was stuff like that that got many actors to change their residuals from "Profit" to "Gross" simply because of "Hollywood accounting" practices. I take JMS the creator of Babylon 5 as an example, he went and made a show for WB that grossed them over a billion dollars an he kept his show under $1m per episode, for 5 seasons @ 22 episodes per season and he never once got a cut of the profits because according to WB, the show has still not made any profit based on their accounting.

So I don't know much about the economics of this, and you might very well have a good point here. All I can say is when I've gone into business with people, this is the idea that I came up with on my own. I have the idea and the manpower, they have the money to fund it. All income goes towards paying off the initial debt incurred, and then we split everything from there 50/50. In theory it sounds fair to me. The project would never become a reality without the ideas and the funding, you need both equally.

5. Re: Epic Games Publishing Announced Mar 26, 2020, 11:48  Slick 

mxmissile wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 11:18:
Developer First, Publisher Second, Customer Last. SMH

Because incentivizing developers with a fair cut of the profits from their work will undoubtedly result in a worse product for the consumer... right.

Oh wait, you're talking about having a different DRM launcher in the background. I mean the game will be 100% the same no matter what store it's sold on, but you know you're right, it's so damned inconvenient.

Just like it's OBVIOUSLY better for everyone to use music streaming services so the artists get $0.000001 per play, rather than support them directly via Patreon, buying tracks from google play/itunes, or seeing them live. It's so much more convenient! I'm sure that as a consumer of music I'll get the best experience if the artist is the most uncomfortable and the least fed. That's how good art is made, out of desperation!

I love how "doing the right thing" has been equated with "too inconvenient" for most people on this forum. And we wonder why the world is going to shit. Now let's hear how I'm wrong and that we should be fighting for the rights of multi-billion dollar corporations to skim as much money from developers while doing exactly zero work towards making the art that we all love.

4032 Comments. 202 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >