Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3660 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield V Microtransactions Delayed
8. Re: Battlefield V Microtransactions Delayed Jan 19, 2019, 11:24 Slick

Rhett wrote on Jan 19, 2019, 10:00:
Yeeeah, it's a pretty fun game too. It's just being handled poorly, sadly. So, so, so many bugs. You'd swear it was their first Battlefield there's so many bugs/issues.

I Think that every Battlefield launch for the past 16 years have each been "their first battlefield". It just wouldn't be the same without bugs on launch.

Hey at least it's not the Bethesda RPG engine...

All that being said, care to mention the bugs? Cause I really don't notice them. Perhaps I am immune to the minor annoyances of frostbite, but the only thing that gets me is not being able to vault over something that I clearly should be able to, or occasionally getting stuck on some difficult terrain. But that shit's been going on with BF forever, even in the pre-frostbite era.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield V Microtransactions Delayed
6. Re: Battlefield V Microtransactions Delayed Jan 19, 2019, 09:32 Slick

Milk. Cows. It's nonsense.

Pull your heads out of your asses sheeple. I know outrage is the favour-du-jour in today's society, but wake the fuck up.

"Cosmetic-only MTX to fund continuing DLC development that's free for all players."

If you want to try and turn that into a negative, you're going to have to try a lot harder.

Gone are the days of just shouting "COW MILK" into the void. You actually have to show off some mental gymnastics to demonstrate the pretzel you're twisting yourself into to say this is bad.

Go on, the floor is yours. Tell us all how funding post-launch development with cosmetics is a bad thing. We're dying to hear it.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black Jan 17, 2019, 05:14 Slick

The Mr. Plinkett review of Ghostbusters 2016 is incredible. Just watch that and you'll see why the world deserves a proper remake/sequel/soft reboot  

News Comments > EA's Open World Star Wars Game Cancelled?
11. Re: EA's Open World Star Wars Game Cancelled? Jan 16, 2019, 02:35 Slick

SWBF2 might be the last AAA SW game, and the last AAA EA game to not have any real monitization, and not much continuing content, but what's there is good.  

News Comments > EA's Open World Star Wars Game Cancelled?
7. Re: EA's Open World Star Wars Game Cancelled? Jan 15, 2019, 23:11 Slick

Maybe now they can start releasing more content for SWBF2.... HA!

That being said, Dooku is coming out next week ^_^ I fucking love that game.

News Comments > Battlefield V Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes Tomorrow; Trailer and Patch Notes Today
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2019, 06:11 Slick

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 15, 2019, 04:03:
Slick giving us the bi-minutely (is that a real word?) twitter updates on how he digested this post to start off the comments

Fuck, I had just woke up from a nap. You got me. Stream-of-semi-consciousness garbled transmission.

News Comments > Battlefield V Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes Tomorrow; Trailer and Patch Notes Today
3. Re: Battlefield V Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes Tomorrow; Trailer and Patch Notes Today Jan 14, 2019, 20:59 Slick

I should have watched the video first... new tanks. That's cool. And the end of the video LOL!  

2. Re: Battlefield V Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes Tomorrow; Trailer and Patch Notes Today Jan 14, 2019, 20:57 Slick

Oh right, i forgot about the co-op. I guess that's "real" content. We'll see how many people will actually play it. I've known very few who's even played the SP... shooting bots is boring. But shooting bots in co-op would def be moore fun than SP...

They had co-op in BF3, and it was pretty neat, but fleeting. The kitsch wears off pretty fast.

1. Re: Battlefield V Chapter 2: Lightning Strikes Tomorrow; Trailer and Patch Notes Today Jan 14, 2019, 20:55 Slick

That's a lot of hyperlinks for 2 new modes: 16-player domination, and Rush (the same as the current "breakthrough" but you have to arm an objective instead of capping a point). Woo?

I guess this is the "advantage" of doing the live service thing, you get to gobble up news cycles with "content" every couple weeks.

Chapter 3 however, will have the Royale mode on its own map, and a new map for Vanilla BFV in Greece. That will be the "real" first content drop.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 05:33 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2019, 03:15:
jamiedj99 wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 23:52:
I wonder where WHO was when too many people watch TV and they now need to make it an addiction.

No one has stayed up 50 hours straight watching TV. However, most on this site have done that playing video games before. Some have played games until death. It's a bit different due to the interactivity.

Did you just say that "most" on this site have stayed up 50 hours straight playing videogames!? You gotta relax on that g-fuel bro, you'll blow a gasket.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jan 13, 2019, 05:32 Slick

Sepharo wrote on Jan 12, 2019, 19:10:
I played computer games every available minute of my life when I was kid. And in high school CS specifically. Didn't cause me no problems.

I'd go as far to say that reality has fucked me up a lot more than videogames could ever hope to, and now I run my own business. This is my safe space, where I can mute, change servers, and alt-f4 at a whim.

That being said...

My wife had a classmate who had to withdraw from the PhD program because Starcraft 2 came out ^_^ And before anyone asks, yes he was Korean. Def my fav videogame fail story.

He lacked the discipline.

News Comments > G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors
43. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 11, 2019, 01:48 Slick

To each their own. I'd consider myself an A/V snob. I rock OLED for my main TV and phone. I can't stand anything less. But but gaming, it's a pro/con situation.

You're definitely not "paying the same fees and getting less". There's a reason why Shroud uses a 240hz monitor. Your brain gets more information pumped into it faster and more consistently, so for gaming, even non-competitive gaming, it's IMO a better experience.

To me, the major sticking point of TN is the viewing angles. It suffers from horizontal AND vertical. But for a gaming monitor, this doesn't really matter, as the user should be perfectly centered anyways.

Anyways, git gud scrubs, 960hz monitor of bust. I'm getting old, I need all the crutches I can find.

News Comments > PC Building Simulator Leaving Early Access This Month
1. Re: PC Building Simulator Leaving Early Access This Month Jan 10, 2019, 23:26 Slick

So masturbatory, but this is something that I plan on picking up one day.  

News Comments > EVGA NU Audio Card Announced
31. Re: EVGA NU Audio Card Announced Jan 10, 2019, 16:39 Slick

1badmf wrote on Jan 10, 2019, 02:27:
Slick wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 23:08:
Qbex . wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 19:20:
Love this thread , also big pc audio nerd going back to the dark ages. For me it was as important as 3d graphics and I invested in components 50/50 split audio vs gfx. I had all the good ones, early SBs, Gravis Ultrasound, than godly A3D Vortex and Auzen X-fi's. Until fucking MS decided to nuke direct sound acceleration. Now the only way forward is out of the Pc case so to speak, usb dac/amp combo for headphones and digital out to a/v amp for speakers. Internal sound cards can't hold the candle to external gear.
Btw anyone here heard new Super X-fi gizmo ? They promise holy grail of headphone 3d sound again but I'm sceptical.

As someone who both owns and has tried several external SOUNDCARDS and internal ones, this fallacy that PCI-e is garbage doesn't hold water. All that matters is the amp, and the dac, that's it. PCI-e or USB doesn't make any difference if the pci-e one is properly shielded.

I know this goes against the popular grain that "you HAVE to have an external soundcard" nowadays, but it's bunk. I'm not an expert on many things, but audio is kinda my niche. What matters is the components. A Pci-e card can have better components than a USB external one, and vice versa.

ok tough guy, i'm sold. what's the best sound card to get for under $200?

Lol tough guy. The internet is great. If you saw me in real life you'd be concerned a child had lost his parents.

Anyways, if you wanna see what I use, go to my twitch page and scroll down a bit, lists all my gear.

Full disclosure, I'd get a small kickback for anything bought from those links on Amazon. My recommendation would be the Sound Blaster AE-5. Do some reading on it, it has a dual-amp thing, and a really good DAC. But they also removed dolby digital and DTS decoding, and removed hardware 7.1 support (only has 5.1 support now) So for hooking up to "real speakers" it's not as good as previous models, but all that sacrifice was to give it a reallllly good headphone port, which is imo all that matters for a gaming PC.

I paired them with the Beyerdynamic DT990 edition 600ohm, and the sound is glorious. You can also see the link for those headphones on the thing. I just set it up last night, so kinda stoked to share.

News Comments > Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required
53. Re: Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required Jan 10, 2019, 16:32 Slick

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 12:48:
CrushBug wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 21:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 18:03:
CrushBug wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 16:41:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:35:
Well if this is Win10 only, I guess I'm not playing it...
Anthem will run on Windows 7 and 8. We just don't officially support it.

You can try the Demo coming out in February to see if Anthem is right for you.

Crushbug, is this some new plan or has EA or others done this? Have a game that will work with Win7-10, but then only list Win10 because of support and not care of the blowback they will get by doing so?

We have done this in past games when we dropped support for Windows XP and moved to Windows 7 as the min spec.

We run Anthem on Windows 7 occasionally, and it works just fine.

Origin will not block you installing the Demo or game on Windows 7; we just aren't officially supporting those OSes.

I appreciate your comments. In your example of dropping WinXP for Win7, that doesn't necessarily mean the timing then is relatively the same now between 7/10 in usage rates. Almost everyone has dropped XP support, but did they drop it once the usage #'s were very low and expected as common practice? I think so. I think dropping Win7/8 on a non-MS Store App now is very cutting edge today. My guess is when you went from XP to 7, XP usage was much lower than Win7 is currently moving now to Win10, hence people are making mention of this. Thanks again for your time.

I get your question, but I'd think that they would be comparible?

XP was hella popular, the first real popular Windows OS IMO. 7 became popular too, but alot of people had Vista fatigue after Win7 launched, I remember lots of people who didn't upgrade, didn't want to, care to, or know about it. I bet the adoption numbers over time looks similar to win7/10 transition.

However, I'm pulling all of this out of my ass, and am too lazy to actually do any homework to prove my point. I'll just live and die by my stupid uninformed convictions

News Comments > G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors
41. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2019, 16:21 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 05:10:
Slick wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 04:45:
They don't make high-rez high-refresh VA panels, so that's a non-starter.

Dude? Define "high refresh" but the screen yours truly is currently writing this post on is this one here which has a 1440p VA panel w/ G-Sync and up to 165Hz (I personally kept it at 144Hz though).

It has far superior quality to TN. TN has improved (as have IPS and VA) but it doesn't hold a candle to IPS/PLS or VA and never will due to its inherent limitations. It may be great for competitive gaming or for people on a super-tight budget but otherwise it's plain garbage.

Well, colour me schooled. In the department of there being VA monitors like that on the market at least, I honestly had no idea. If the aspect ratio wasn't whack i'd rather have something like that than the IPS I currently have, I miss the deep blacks of VA.

I disagree on TN being "garbage" for anything other than competitive gaming etc. I've seen TN models in-store, and maybe they were calibrated properly, had their settings maxed, saturation maxed etc... I have no idea, I didn't OSD menu-dive, but they looked great to me. I'm sure if there was a side-by-side I could tell the difference, but at a glance it looked actually great, not "good enough" or "no one can tell the difference so who cares good enough".

TN is "inferior" to the other techs when it comes to PQ. No one is arguing that. It's just nowhere near the "gulf of garbage" that I think we all think about when we hear "TN Panel" from years past.

News Comments > EVGA NU Audio Card Announced
27. Re: EVGA NU Audio Card Announced Jan 9, 2019, 23:08 Slick

Qbex . wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 19:20:
Love this thread , also big pc audio nerd going back to the dark ages. For me it was as important as 3d graphics and I invested in components 50/50 split audio vs gfx. I had all the good ones, early SBs, Gravis Ultrasound, than godly A3D Vortex and Auzen X-fi's. Until fucking MS decided to nuke direct sound acceleration. Now the only way forward is out of the Pc case so to speak, usb dac/amp combo for headphones and digital out to a/v amp for speakers. Internal sound cards can't hold the candle to external gear.
Btw anyone here heard new Super X-fi gizmo ? They promise holy grail of headphone 3d sound again but I'm sceptical.

As someone who both owns and has tried several external SOUNDCARDS and internal ones, this fallacy that PCI-e is garbage doesn't hold water. All that matters is the amp, and the dac, that's it. PCI-e or USB doesn't make any difference if the pci-e one is properly shielded.

I know this goes against the popular grain that "you HAVE to have an external soundcard" nowadays, but it's bunk. I'm not an expert on many things, but audio is kinda my niche. What matters is the components. A Pci-e card can have better components than a USB external one, and vice versa.

News Comments > AMD Radeon VII Graphics Cards Next Month
10. Re: AMD Radeon VII Graphics Cards Next Month Jan 9, 2019, 21:56 Slick

I wonder if this will spike the value of Ethereum.

Quad channel memory, and twice as much of it, other than for crunching datasets, science, mining ETH, or gpgpu shit, I don't see the point. I mean it's cool, GDDR is long in the tooth, but I'd rather have the shiny toys in the big green cards at the same price point.

And by "rather" I mean I'd never consider any of this trash. I bought a used 1080ti the day after the RTX announcement on craigslist for $600 CAD. Goddamn MSI Seahawk liquid cooled one too.

Honestly, my plan is to do an upgrade WHEN the new consoles get released. Then I'll know that all the techs that will actually be used in games for the next 8 years will exist in the PC hardware being sold at the same time. By then the CPU race should show some great improvements, and there might be a GPU that can hit 1440p @ 240 fps. If not I'll just sit on my 1440p@144hz monitor and 1080ti till then. Really dissapointing year for GPUs, especially considering how long it's been since the last gen, and how little has improved.

Brings it back to mining, they're still clearing out inventory, the CFO of nvidia said that their retailers are still dealing with overstock from that boom, and that nvidia is refusing to give out coupons to retailers to bring down the prices to actually clear out stock. Why would they? nVidia still has the lead.

Fucking AMD. We don't need 16 gigs of HDR2, we need a new architecture. I bet half the BOM of the card is that memory.

News Comments > The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed
17. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 21:40 Slick

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 21:02:
Frijoles wrote on Jan 9, 2019, 19:16:
All goes through UPlay anyway.

Yep. I'm probably gonna spend Ubi-coins for 20% off unless GMG has a better deal, same as the past however many of their games I've bought in the past 5 years. This news is mildly interesting because Ubisoft is the only major publisher I can think of who has had their own store for a long time and yet continued to sell everything on Steam. Why move over to another third party instead of just stand on your own, finally? It does indeed smell a bit like an exclusivity deal is afoot.

People have mostly come around to Origin as a competing mega-corp storefront for in-house games, but the Uplay store? I think it's still considered the black sheep of the bunch.

I agree that it's dumb that they don't just only sell on their platform, but 12% for the reach of a trillion fortnite players? might make sense... still, Ubisoft actually MAKES GAMES, and they make this game, there's no reason for me to buy it anywhere else than the company's own store unless I'm hard on cash and wanna get some grey market shit or GMG etc. Never understood why people HAD to buy Ubi stuff on steam, so that they had to launch steam, launch game, which launches uplay, then launches game. Also one more ser of credentials and running DRM. People can be fucking dumb. You don't even use your steam friends list in a Ubi game bought on steam. You can't join off a steam friend in The Division 1, you join off your Uplay friend.

Oh and part of me thinks the reason people hate uplay so much is because of how many Ubisoft games have had menu pop-ups in-game telling you to log into your uplay account for extra shit or something. It just annoyed everyone, now there's a stigma. Which is too bad, cuase yeah, like buddy said, you get points which you then use to get free shit or % off games, so that alone should be enough to set it apart. Does any other store do that?

News Comments > The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed
13. Re: The Division 2 Blows Off Steam; Specs Revealed Jan 9, 2019, 21:01 Slick

Anyone else think it's weird that Anthem and the Div2 are coming out so close together? Whyyy!? They attract the same gamers, the ones that are tired of Destiny 2 already. Why are they competing for half of this pie, when one of them could wait 6 months and get the whole pie?

I'm sure there's some beancounter reasons as to why, but it doesn't pass the smell test. Just seems stupid. One of these games will probably fail miserably, as once popular opinion is in, all these genre gamers will just on one ship or the other.

If it was offline, then who cares, launch now and people can still buy in a year and its the same shit. But these are both online co-op games. Once the server populations decline, the game snowballs into death. The best time to play online games IMO is the first 3 months after launch. Sure they're at their most buggy, but the player count is at it's highest, matchmaking works at its best, and you're not going up against people who are much more experienced.

3660 Comments. 183 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo