Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3808 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service
23. Re: Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service Jul 1, 2019, 22:05 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 20:56:
Exactly. Imagine if this ruleset would apply to sports events, we could kill Sky and all these premium scam artists that sell half-assed sport reports with zero interest in the material (Sky, again) because they have the license monopoly on em and can't be arsed nor kicked out because they got a contract for 5 years and guaranteed payments.

Meanwhile in gaming land, publishers forbid premium streaming exactly because they don't want this to happen (that 1 source becomes the only source and thus their marketing success is at the whim of that 1 source).

Funny you mention that, as that's what basically killed off the whole StarCraft phenomenon in South Korea, but it takes from both sides.

There were three TV networks that broadcast StarCraft content, it was the national passtime. Then with SC2 Bliz decided that they wanted to hold the reigns and formed their own channel which had exclusive access. It virtually killed the scene, as the "streamers" at the time you could call it (the other three TV channels) couldn't partake. If you wanted to watch people execute the perfect 6-pool ling rush then there was now only one shop in town selling...

And StarCraft 2 continues to be relevant as fuck today

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service Jul 1, 2019, 18:54 Slick

Sepharo wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 18:35:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 18:29:
Funny Gabe is lecturing us on how games should be free then righteously giving it to us right up the ass with Steam 40% markups. Way to go Gabe. Have another a third donut.

What part of this is relevant to this news item?

And I thought I hated steam lol. But they're all in the right here. Gotta keep our heads on through all of this or we'll lose our minds.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

19. Re: Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service Jul 1, 2019, 18:52 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 17:32:
Slick wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 14:29:
I'm actually siding with the megacorps
It's okay, man. We already knew that. What we don't know is which megacorps and how much they pay you.

Well professionally I've written exactly one article for Kotaku, so I guess Gawker owns my soul. They paid $150 for a month of back-and-forth work with my editor, it also took them around 6 months for the payment to clear.

What can I say? I'm a cheap date. Although I'm also participating in an upcoming EA Playtester event in my town. For 5 full days of testing I'm getting paid in Apex coins. Fuck yeah. My years of servitude have not gone unnoticed.

Also, getting back to the music industry analogy. It really is wild how Twitch even exists. Broadcasting rights for music is a fucking minefield. But for the otherwise cackling evil overlords plotting in their smoke-filled rooms at BigVideogame Inc., they haven't so much as done a spit-take of 200 year old brandy when told Twitch is making money from their product. Youtube too. Godforbid you use a copyrighted song in a youtube video, congrats, your monitization goes towards the label now. But have that track playing over a whole uncut, uncommented playthrough of Hello Kitty Adventure Club, and no one even considers that the game makers deserve any cut.

Shit's kinda crazy when you think about it. For consumers, we're in a pretty good place with game streaming.

8. Re: Subscriber-Only Streams May Violate Terms of Service Jul 1, 2019, 14:29 Slick

These premium streams should be 100% original content owned or created by the streamer. I can imagine like a live AMA for subs or something like that being totally acceptable. Or some kind of like awards show that can show off gameplay trailers perhaps, or stuff that's already in the public domain. I can see a niche for this in general terms, it broadens the idea of what a streamer is. This essentially gives them their own television channel with a similar payment model, and the same rules should apply (fair use should still be fair game).

I'm actually siding with the megacorps on this one (feel free to quote-mine this out of context), you can't play some band's new album on a stream and charge people to listen to it, while none of the revenue goes to the music label. Think of how lucky we are that video game corps didn't go down the same path as the music industry. We can watch a 100% "let's play" and literally see an entire game without paying a penny, and zero of any ad revenue generated goes to the game's publisher.

News Comments > Halo: Reach PC Video and Piracy Warning
8. Re: Halo: Reach PC Video and Piracy Warning Jun 30, 2019, 18:19 Slick

maddog wrote on Jun 30, 2019, 14:35:
Didn't this come out already...It was called something 2142

Don't you sully the name of 2142 with this cut-rate non-ADSing linear console garbage.

Having never owned an Xbox til the XBoneX, I have zero nostalgia for Halo. I bought Halo 5 to see what the fuss was about. I played it for exactly 8 minutes then uninstalled.

2142 on the other hand was a masterpiece of 64-player large scale PC combat. From hovertanks and mechs, to pod spinning and PK-rockets. It was perfect for it's time. Halo is a steaming pile.

News Comments > Gabe Newell Almost Says Three
23. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 29, 2019, 23:01 Slick

Acleacius wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 15:21:
Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 09:14:
I don't know, for all of his faults Gabe has been a pretty good steward of Steam if nothing else. I kinda worry about what happens when hes gone and some suits get a hold of it.
Yeah, far from perfect they have never stopped trying to innovate and provide new Steam content and obviously it doesn't all work. Iirc, one of the reasons Valve was formed from ex-m$ employees is, they didn't like the way m$ bullied and bribed retailers. Pretty sure m$ was constantly getting into trouble in the 1990s and 2000s for trade practices.

OT
They clearly don't want to do a cash grabs, on any of their IPs. They could have tried it at anytime, instead of waiting until it feels right.

Wow.

Hard to make heads or tails of this.

What might happen when Gabe goes and some suits take ahold of the company? Ummm, maybe they'll go back to making videogames and not just trying to min-max their rent-seeking storefront?

You youngins might not remember so let me refresh you, Valve is a company that used to make video games... lol

Steam regularly makes more money from a game sale by ringing your credit card than the entire studio that made the game sees. This is a bean-counter "suit" wet dream.

News Comments > Penn & Teller VR F U, U, U, & U Released
1. Re: Penn & Teller VR F U, U, U, & U Released Jun 29, 2019, 19:19 Slick

I love P&T, but this shovelware looks pretty fucking bad.  

News Comments > Beyond: Two Souls Demo
1. Re: Beyond: Two Souls Demo Jun 28, 2019, 19:42 Slick

So I loved Heavy Rain, but I never played this one, should I get it? Anyone actually play it?

Also, this release cadence makes me think that Detroit's release has to be right around the corner. Most hyped for that.

News Comments > Gabe Newell Almost Says Three
5. Re: Gabe Newell Almost Says Three Jun 28, 2019, 19:40 Slick

As someone who is fundamentally against the idea of the 30% store tax that is Steam, I will give credit where it is due.

Valve's pioneering in VR is unparalleled. Their lighthouse system is the most advanced consumer VR implementation on the planet. Fucking sum-millimeter precision in freespace, it's fucking wild.

The Index looks to be incredible, but I'm waiting for a lightweight version that more resembles the "ski goggles" that you see in the movie Ready Player One.

VR is the one arena that no one can argue Valve hasn't re-invested their billions of otherwise unearned dollars wisely (sorry haters, if you had no hand in making the game, you shouldn't make more money on every sale than the creators themselves).

And if you wanna dig deep, the story of how Valve's VR was born is incredible. Oculus was poaching talent from Valve's VR team, and even visited Valve's HQ to see demos of tech that was far superior to Oculus. Kinda like when Gates and Jobs were visiting Xerox to totally rip off their mouse design. It's pretty nuts.

I have no love for giant multinational rent-seeking corporations, but Facebook I have genuine hate for.

News Comments > Apex Legends Season 2 Videos
1. Re: Apex Legends Season 2 Videos Jun 27, 2019, 18:29 Slick

Looks great, also I know the name if the next hero. Hope you like Bitcoin.  

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
74. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 20:17 Slick

There's never been any point to buying a Ubisoft game on anything other than Uplay, as you still have to download and launch the game through Uplay. It's giving a 3rd party who had nothing to do with development a cut, and then you having to run 2x DRMs at the same time instead of 1. Literally lose-lose for the consumer.

"I prefer to go to Kroger over Walmart personally.
And if something I was expecting to buy at Kroger recently became exclusive to Walmart, I'd be kind of upset about that.
Seems like a normal reaction."
- Sepharo

But what we're seeing is not a normal reaction. A Normal reaction I could understand. This is chicken-little pitchforks who've learned to type staging boycotts.

I like Target more than WalMart. If they sell Half-Life 3 at Walmart, I'll buy it there. The game isn't going to be any different. I'll still double-click an icon on my desktop to play it. We're talking about different makes and models of automobiles and the whole conversation is about how much the car dealer smiled at me when I bought the car.

No other community cares about what store they buy a product from more than the product itself. The discussion on the games is practically nil. The threads that blow up are faffing competition between which faceless multinational billion-dollar DRM software they want to click "buy" from.

No sense of proportion.

69. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 18:35 Slick

grudgebearer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:23:
Slick wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:10:
Think of how many games we've all played that have run on the Unreal Engine. Epic has contributed to the ecosystem. That and their engine licencing deals are quite generous to studios, I think it's like 5% only after you've made X amount of profit, and nothing before that. Pretty good to developers.

And then they undercut the ludicrous store tax so that studios can hope to make more money from THEIR FUCKING PRODUCT than the goddamn payment processor does.

There's an easy rubric to remember:

A) Epic has been directly responsible for thousands of games actually being made by indy to AAA studios.

B) Steam has middleman profited from the hard work of thousands of games by indy to AAA studios.

Now tell me which you're mad at again sheep?

BTW, I should have an RSS feed notification for whenever a member in this forum starts getting called a shill, as it probably means they actually have something intelligent to say in light of the ignorant reception this board usually provides.

What does any of that tirade have to do with consumers benefiting from EGS exclusivity?

There's no benefit, there's also no loss to the consumer. You're buying the same game you'd otherwise buy just from a different store.

You saying you care more about the store than the game?

Pretty fucked up. You know, because you're also saying you care more about Walmart making more money than the studio that made the game. Which is doubly fucked up.

If you don't give a shit about the people who make the games you love, then you're a turd.

If you insist on only buying from Walmart, then you're a mafia wife to the biggest monopoly in PC gaming.

66. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 18:10 Slick

Think of how many games we've all played that have run on the Unreal Engine. Epic has contributed to the ecosystem. That and their engine licencing deals are quite generous to studios, I think it's like 5% only after you've made X amount of profit, and nothing before that. Pretty good to developers.

And then they undercut the ludicrous store tax so that studios can hope to make more money from THEIR FUCKING PRODUCT than the goddamn payment processor does.

There's an easy rubric to remember:

A) Epic has been directly responsible for thousands of games actually being made by indy to AAA studios.

B) Steam has middleman profited from the hard work of thousands of games by indy to AAA studios.

Now tell me which you're mad at again sheep?

BTW, I should have an RSS feed notification for whenever a member in this forum starts getting called a shill, as it probably means they actually have something intelligent to say in light of the ignorant reception this board usually provides.

40. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 16:22 Slick

Avus wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 15:06:
I DON'T CARE how much game developer % cut when I buy game. It is fxxking stupid for consumer to care about this. I as a gamer (consumer) only care if I can buy this game with a great price, software quality, post support, digital store features...

If a game developer cannot survive with 30% digital store cut, too bad, it is on the dev management. There are many dev don't make profit with 30% cut but there are also MANY can. Try go back to good old retail route and see how far can you go...

When you buy your Big Mac, Ford Mustang, Samsung TV do you fxxking care how much profit the food suppliers, automaker or Samsung actually made?? I would care about PRICE, store/sales quality and support instead. When fanboys come to game, they just throw their logic out the windows. This is why all these AAA dev made so much $$ off them by DLC, lootbox. Their favorite dev never wrong...

You can hate Valve for many things, but complain them taking 30% from dev is the most stupid.

The only complaint is people who would otherwise want to buy a Big Mac, Ford Mustang, or Samsung TV, but will ONLY buy it from Wal-Mart.

If the studios don't want to give a fucking storefront that had exactly nothing to do with building the game take MORE MONEY than the studio, then fuck yeah, they have every right to sell it elsewhere.

It's on the dough-headed consumers who refuse to buy the game that they otherwise want to buy, because they only shop at Wal-Mart.

Since when are gamers loyalty to a payment processor higher than the level designers, audio engineers, texture artists, writers, directors, coders, testers etc. etc. etc. who actually make the art we love?

Pretty fucked up if you ask me.

38. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 16:16 Slick

"The 30% store tax usually exceeds the entire profits of the developer who built the game thatís sold."

THIS.

This is the only salient argument you have to defeat when you complain about EGS.

The game is the same weather you buy it in one store or another, with the obvious exception if it makes use of something like the Steam Workshop. The workshop is great, and adds value for gamers. Weather it's worth the store making more money than the people who actually put their blood sweat and tears into making the game is up for debate.

But if the game doesn't use Workshop? It's a no-brainer, the game is exactly the same.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Video
6. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Video Jun 25, 2019, 22:57 Slick

If there's timing required, that would put all these videos in a totally different context.

To me used to the speed and ferocity of SWBF2 MP, this combat looks lethargic in comparison.

Still semi-hyped though. Respawn hit it out of the park with Titanfall 2 SP.

News Comments > Heavy Rain Floods In
13. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 25, 2019, 10:31 Slick

Quantic Dream isn't owned by Sony, but they might as well be, as their highly popular games have for some magical reason never released on the competing console from Microsoft. Unless you think that Quantic Dream just doesn't like making money, then they're in bed with Sony, and have been for a decade.

GTA 1 and 2 started on PC. GTA 3 was a blip on the radar that was PS2-only. Then GTA 4 and 5 were released on Xbox, PS, and Windows. They never had a consistant track record of only favoring one platform. Once new platforms and therefore new markets were open to them, like any reasonable company they pounced on them.

Can't say the same for Quantic, they have been in Sony's pocket for the last 2 generations.

8. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 24, 2019, 22:48 Slick

Leper wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 21:43:
Played the demo... dated in many ways. Reading the comments here makes me want to try the full game, but probably not for more than $10.

It's $20 dude.

Not to tell you how to spend your money and all that... It's dirt fuck cheap for IMO one of the best games of all time. That and it's a Playstation exclusive that was actually brought to PC. What other PS4 in-house exclusive games have ever come to PC? Where is God of War? The last of Us? Uncharted? Heavenly Sword? Killzone: Shadow Fall? Infamous: Second Son? The Last Guardian? Little Big Planet? The Order:1886? Horizon: Zero Dawn? Days Gone? Spiderman?

There are dozens of amazing PS4 exclusives that will never come to PC, Heavy Rain is (as far as I know) the first. If you can't reward this kind of behaviour when it comes to gaming, what can you reward?

5. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 24, 2019, 21:17 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 20:59:
Did they at least update the graphics?

Watch the trailer, short answer = no. But they obviously support custom resolutions, but IMO with those old games it only makes them look worse, something designed to run @ 720p ends up looking bad when it's run at higher rezes.

I think that Detroit will look good tho, as it had the PS4 Pro spec in mind.

Still, $20 for Heavy Rain is a no-brainer if you've never played it before. If you've already played it... hmmmm, ionno.

2. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 24, 2019, 19:57 Slick

Best narrative experience in a videogame I've ever played. I have yet to get to Detroit tho.  

3808 Comments. 191 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo