Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 2758 (Senior)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Recruits Female Soldiers
3. Re: Battlefield 1 Recruits Female Soldiers May 23, 2017, 11:34 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 23, 2017, 11:19:
Lol, the MRAs will come out of the woodwork in droves now.

History be damned, of course.

I doubt it, it was a real thing, plus it's a game. I'll hope that people have better things to do with their time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_Battalion

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
14. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 22, 2017, 00:02 Slick

Are you dumdums trolling or genuinely didn't read the article? This attack had exactly nothing to do with malicious e-mails or phishing attacks. Also, this has been known for days. The "email" thing was a poorly informed opinion by so-called "experts" who knew nothing about the true nature of the attack and were at best grasping at straws.

It was basically a "calling Florida for Gore" moment when they knew nothing, so they thought the best way forward is to pretend they knew something, which turned out to be the exact opposite of the truth. oops.

Good job repeating it in a public forum though, it's almost as if you're spreading disinformation like a... well, like some kind of pathogen, well something contagious that's bad for you... if only there was a word for this...

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
31. Re: Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers May 19, 2017, 23:05 Slick

Creston wrote on May 19, 2017, 21:59:
HoSpanky wrote on May 19, 2017, 15:14:
On the other hand, Blizzard is putting their name on this, and that's no small consideration. They'd rather kill a game weeks before launch than put out something short of stellar.

Errr, where are you seeing that Blizzard is putting their name on this? It's going to use Blizzard's launcher, because why wouldn't Activision just use their own store rather than give Steam/Origin etc 30%. But that's going to be as far as it'll go. This is not going to be "Blizzard's Destiny 2."

It's strange to think that ActiBlizz freely give away money to steam with the yearly CoD releases on PC when they now have a perfectly good store/launcher of their own. I think that's it's probably due to nobody playing CoD on PC anymore, and it would just be a blight on battle.net's launcher.

Anyways, Destiny 2 could be good fun on PC, but this no dedicated servers thing is something I'll have to wait and see on.

And for the love of everything good in the gaming world, "dedicated server" has NEVER meant "end-user built/controlled box" It's a technical term that's just as descriptive as it needs to be. Dedicated servers mean a server that isn't one of the players ie. P2P. I don't know how they could do Destiny 2's MMO'y features without a dedicated server in some capacity. ESPECIALLY for the 6v6 PvP modes. That shit on p2p is just utterly shameful if true. Although it is Activision, they pulled that shit with so man CoD games I lost track. So there's precedent.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 19, 2017, 09:19 Slick

jdreyer wrote on May 19, 2017, 02:40:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 18, 2017, 22:15:
GothicWizard wrote on May 18, 2017, 21:50:
The silence of the FCC actions from trump supporters speaks volumes.
Err? So you are saying their silence indicates they are really against this decision? If that's what you are saying (and I admit I'm not sure what you are saying) I think you are mistaken.

Trump supporters believe what the right wing media tells them. And I have little doubt the removal of Net Neutrality rules are being characterized as a liberation of the little guy from excessive federal regulation.
It's like when Republicans support repealing the inheritance tax, which applies only if you inherit more than $5M. That law will never apply to 99% of Republicans.

Oh you mean the DEATH tax? (Dumb bastards read that and go "oooh death? I don't like that, that could happen to me!) As if there were any better person to tax than obscenely rich dead fucks.

They're also really good at re-branding laws. You can pretty much be sure that even though the house congressional budget office has no fucking clue how much Trumpcare will cost, the fact that it's called something like the America Freedom Health Bill or some shit means that it is robbing the poor to pay the rich.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
23. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 18, 2017, 00:32 Slick

FC2 was amazing, a definite standout when it came to narrative world-building. The plot left an impact on me to play it all the way through, getting to figure out for yourself what the fuck is actually going on without hand-holding and excessive exposition was masterfully done.

FC1 was also amazing, I'd play a proper remake of that, that deagle felt better than any pistol in any game. And yes! the mutants! such a twist. I remember playing the shareware demo of the first map over and over and over and over, just unable to wait to get my Ati 9800 Pro to kick the full game's ass. FC1 did all of the shit that Doom 3 and HL2 where doing graphically, except FC1 came out before with of them, truly ahead of it's time.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 18, 2017, 00:21 Slick

Also, who in the fuck uses those racing gaming chairs? They've got to be the most uncomfortable chairs in the world, and not suited at all for gaming. The wing flaps at the side of the chair sometimes actually block your elbows from having proper ergonomic posture, so bad!  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 17, 2017, 23:22 Slick

HA!

So their 1030 can support 8k @ 60hz, but the 1050 can't support 4k netflix @ 30hz because it doesn't have 4GB of ram.

What a load.

Get your messaging right big green.

News Comments > Quake Champions Duel Mode Revealed
2. Re: Quake Champions Duel Mode Revealed May 17, 2017, 23:18 Slick

I liked Doom's MP, but not this hot mess. It feels neither quaint nor nostalgic, it just feels like a blatant cash-grab. It gets tired sooo quickly... and tried to overstay it's welcome with hero classes... instead of things that have actually proven to be fun in a game like this, like what shootmania did with the level builders, the laser-grappling hooks, the more varied use of force pads, different surfaces that affect movement differently, wall-jumping, and general excellent movement. This quake only makes me consider shelling out $10 for quake live.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Livestream Tomorrow
2. Re: Destiny 2 Livestream Tomorrow May 17, 2017, 22:49 Slick

It's Activision, so I'm guess Puff Daddy, Ice Cube, and Mel Gibson  

News Comments > Dreadnought Open Beta
4. Re: Dreadnought Open Beta May 16, 2017, 17:52 Slick

Fun game is fun. I threw $20 at it for a month of +xp to grind out some ships, If I did it again I'd recommend a week for $10, as a month is too long.

Better to get a grip on how the ships work before you pick which unlock path you choose, as you don't want to spend a week unlocking a nice T4 ship that you hate using.

Game is also gorgeous if you can play on "high" settings, but the frame drop is ridiculous. on my GTX 1080 I stuck at med settings, which run a lot better but look like dogshit.

Furthering my theory that UE4 wasn't built for open-world environments, not built for multiplayer, and not built for resolutions over 1080p.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 May 15, 2017, 12:59 Slick

Lol I really did! Played for about 10 hours. I won 4x rounds with my group of 4, and then i did duos into the wee hours with a good friend, and we started getting wins.

It's surprisingly easy to make it to the last 10 people alive, if you don't get popped in the first 2 minutes, which doesn't really waste that much time restarting the round. But yeah, 99% of the game happens when there's only 10x alive, and if you have a good team with working brains, you have a better chance than most.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 May 15, 2017, 03:22 Slick

xXStellarDadXx wrote on May 14, 2017, 16:47:
PUBG is thy greatest game ever made peeps...u can thank me later...

I won 8 rounds today, I think I can finally put this addictive game down and finish my Prey review ^_^ I also have Strafe, and Tokyo 42 lined up afterwards, so stay tuned!

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 13, 2017, 13:49 Slick

Jesus...

Move over Steve Jobs, what GabeN has done with his multi-billion dollar corporation is a masterstroke of marketing genius. He somehow convinced the world that his multi-billion dollar corporation isn't a corporation. And other companies wanting to sell their own games are "Evil corporations"

News Comments > DiRT 4 Trailer
4. Re: DiRT 4 Trailer May 13, 2017, 13:02 Slick

Sepharo wrote on May 13, 2017, 03:43:
they need to get on the vr support for this one

No native Vive support, no buy from me. They already fucked us with Dirt Rally. Making a big stink about "VR Support" And then it turns out to be Oculus only. They say they just don't have resources to make a Vive release, total horseshit obviously.

Oh and 8 months later guess what? It comes out for PSVR. I'm sure it was more to port it to a fucking console than for the other major PC platform.

So yeah, fuck codemasters. There is a 5000+ post petition on Steam discussions for Vive support in Dirt Rally, and they ignored it for months, then just said something like: "well, we don't feel like it, it's totally not cause Oculus paid us off"

For those who don't know Project CARS 2 has a rally component, a higher fidelity simulation, and looks a lot better to boot. That's what I'm hyped for. Dirt 4 can suck a dick.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
32. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 12, 2017, 15:05 Slick

I'd start saving for the Volta launch in 2018, should drive that thing forever.

In all honesty, the perceivable difference between 1080p and 1440p is a lot more noticeable than going from 1440p to 2160P. Also 1440p is only 78% more pixels than 1080p, and not 400% like with 4k. So it's really the sweet spot for being able to actually have a GPU that can drive it.

You 970 will struggle with this screen, but you know that. Still, it's a good investment, but it really needs a GPU paired to it to shine.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 12, 2017, 12:58 Slick

Creston wrote on May 12, 2017, 11:38:
"Only Russia's senior-most officials could have authorized the 2016 US election-focused data thefts and disclosures, based on the scope and sensitivity of the targets," said [PDF] Coats.

"Russia has also leveraged cyberspace to seek to influence public opinion across Europe and Eurasia. We assess that Russian cyber operations will continue to target the United States and its allies."

"It's not fair! Only WE should be allowed to do that!"

Pot. Kettle. etc.

President Trump threw his own hat into the ring while the proceedings were going on. He told NBC News that he didn't fire Comey because of the recommendation of his Attorney General, as he told Comey in his dismissal letter. He said that he had always planned to do so.

"He's a showboat, he's grandstander, the FBI has been in turmoil," he said. "You know that, I know that. Everybody knows that."

Rotfl

Pot. Kettle. etc.

Yeah, I had to close the article at that line, it's too much.

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 12, 2017, 01:10 Slick

Also, i don't know if anyone mentioned the windows dying article, but it reinforces what i've thought for a while, that Win32 needs to die. They just need to do it in a way where UWP is make easily accessible for devs to sell in their own stores. It makes sense for Win10S to only have a Windows store, same as Android Play or iOS App Store, but that shit will never fly with the desktop variant of Windows, and that's where the phaseout of Win32 is the most needed.

I just wish that end users could see the benefit, instead of pushing back on UWP out of sheer instinct that it's awful. Sandboxing apps means improved security for everyone, a huge drop in malware and shit, and hopefully dear god, a way to successfully keep hackers out of mah vidyagames.

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 12, 2017, 01:02 Slick

MeanJim wrote on May 12, 2017, 00:52:
Where were all of you yesterday when I asked for advice on getting a new monitor when mine suddenly crapped out. I have a 24" 1080p 60Hz monitor and I can run all my games maxed out at that res. I was basically stuck deciding if I should keep it cheap and just get another 24" 1080p 60Hz to hold me over until some kind of whatever-sync standard comes out or go ahead and go ahead and upgrade to a 27" 1440p 144Hz g-sync display.

Anyway, I spent all day yesterday going back and forth and couldn't make up my mind. I was getting late and the deadline for Amazon Prime shipping was closing in if I wanted it here Saturday, so I took a break, tried to relax by watching an hour of TV and downing a pint of beer before making my decision and going to bed. Shopping while buzzed helped me make up my mind, but also impaired my judgement. I said fuck it and bought a 1440p 165Hz g-sync monitor and went to bed.

After sleeping on it, I started having second thoughts as soon as I woke up. I don't think I have room for a 27" monitor on my desk. I do need a new desk anyway, but I wasn't planning on a desk swap so soon. Then the thought of re-configuring my games to run at 1440p hit me and what to do with those that I can't run at 1440p. Now I'm kind of wishing that I had gone with a 1080p g-sync monitor for half the price.

It's natural to have some buyers remorse when buying any big ticket item like this, but trust me, just because IPS doesn't have the best contrast, that monitor is still by far the best gaming monitor on the planet. It will only be outdone with the 4k HDR FALD version Asus and Acer will be putting out in 4-5 months, and that will probably be twice the price of the 1440p one ($1800 USD rumour seems plausible)

So yeah, IPS has it's issues for sure, but it's better than TN, and PVA has shit latency. If you like gaming, these 1440p 144hz G-sync monitors are currently the best there is, and they pair nicely with a GTX 1080, although a Ti would be better. You can always just play games @ 1080p, although I've noticed that at least on my Acer, the downsampling leaves the image a bit blurry. Still, it's a monitor that you can grow into, and will be a premium experience for years to come.

When it comes to things that you use everyday for hours at a time, I don't sneer at spending a little more. Mattresses, pillows, chairs, peripherals, monitors, etc. you'll get thousands of hours of use from them.

You'll be over the moon with that one you picked, at the moment there's nothing better on the market, and is probably somewhat responsible for how much ass I kick in vidyagames these days as my skills wane.

News Comments > Dungeons 2 for Free
4. Re: Dungeons 2 for Free May 12, 2017, 00:02 Slick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 11, 2017, 23:45:
Cutter wrote on May 11, 2017, 21:23:
Dungeon Keeper never really did it for me - though I did like Evil Genius. This doesn't really look like my bag, baby, but the price is right so why not.

You don't like Dungeon Keeper!?!? Unforgivable sin. Blue, ban Cutter for life.

Of all his nonsense over the years, this is by far the most damning evidence.

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2017, 15:52 Slick

quick google #1

quick google #2

quick google #3

IPS panels are fantastic for bright-room viewing or even viewing in the dim with a bias light. But turn the lights truly OFF and their poor native contrast ratio results in dark-grey blacks.

A state-of-the-art VA panel has a native contrast ratio 5-6 times higher than a state-of-the-art IPS panel (5-6000 vs. 1000).

2758 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo