Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 2488 (Senior)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda System Specs
14. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda System Specs Feb 26, 2017, 00:16 Slick

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2652-battlefield-1-graphics-card-benchmark-dx11-vs-dx12

AMD Fury X gets 50 FPS @ 4k, 100 FPS @ 1080p. This is more indicative of normal performance scaling.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is probably using the same version of frostbite as BF1, so this is the kind of scaling we'll expect in this game.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2017, 00:59.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda System Specs Feb 25, 2017, 23:52 Slick

Wow, 3 people replied all who are willfully misinformed.

In any other engine you don't get 25% the performance driving 4x the pixels.

- draw calls
- z buffer calls
- geometry/mesh building
- texturizing
- ai calculations

etc. etc. etc.

So 100% of the work per frame that the CPU does, with many operations that the GPU does are the same no matter what resolution you're working with.

These all have to be done only once per pass, you don't have to do them 4 times to drive 4x the pixels.

No other engine operates like that. Look at literally any benchmark ever. 1080p doesn't get you 4x the FPS as 4k. But for some reason that's how UE4 works, seems woefully inefficient.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

3. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda System Specs Feb 25, 2017, 00:40 Slick

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 21:39:
if its close to the same Frostbite engine they used in BF1, then that would be excellent - because that one runs great and looks awesome at the same time

The more I play UE4 the more angry I get, that engine for some reason has no scaling. running 4k gives you literally 25% the performance. No other engine operated like that, don't really know what they're doing. It seems optimized for 1080 resolutions.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2017, 19:41 Slick

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 17:20:
Trofimov hit Lylin in the head twice, stabbed him to death, and then kept stabbing him 11 more times before burning his body in an attempt to hide the evidence. Trofimov, for the record, was the Nvidia fan.

and the resulting discussion here just goes on to further prove how stupid people truly are, blaming some kind of "fandom" rather than taking the very real and much more consequential psychological factors into account - factors which have absolutely nothing to do with which sports team you like, which country you fly a flag for, etc.

there is a universality to root psychological issues that far transcends the particular contextual focus of the obsession

but nobody wants to really know this kind of thing, nobody really wants to know the truth about how powerless they are, how little control they have over things in general - they would much rather feel like they are "in control" and "the master of their destiny" and all that shit.. which is ironically the very thing that will prevent it from happening in any real sense of the term
\

mind blown

News Comments > Civilization VI Adds Australia and Mod Support
6. Re: Civilization VI Adds Australia and Mod Support Feb 24, 2017, 19:36 Slick

do these games still take 5 minutes per turn late-game when the AI really slows down?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 24, 2017, 19:27 Slick

Think about the other things you could have used that 8 minutes for, you could have totally completed the Titanfall 2 singleplayer campaign for instance.  

News Comments > For Honor Cheaters Banned
14. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Feb 24, 2017, 19:11 Slick

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 17:51:
BurntSoul wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 17:12:
HoSpanky wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 15:06:
I've never understood the need to cheat in online gaming, and ESPECIALLY don't understand those cheaters then complaining about being punished for cheating. If you cheat to win, you didn't actually win. There's no victory there.

Totally this. I think that maybe the cheaters should be notified by UBI, saying they know who they are and that they will only be able to be matched up with other cheaters, banning the use of the store to scavenge or buy 'upgrades', and slowing player growth to 1% of regular users regardless of what initial package they bought.

This allows them to still be able to play while at the same time disarming the idea of cheating (because now everyone is at the same 'level').

Same outcome as banning them. They buy a new copy and continue to cheat until they get caught again. Rinse, repeat.

Seems to me that they could use hardware ID as a way to scrutinize new accounts on the same hardware though. Maybe catch repeat cheaters quicker that way.

I'd be all for hardware ID, but you know that privacy concerns will drown out common sense.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Awards
9. Re: D.I.C.E. Awards Feb 24, 2017, 18:14 Slick

Nice to see Naughty Dog sweep some awards for Uncharted 4, that game was really the apex of that "AAA" stands for, utterly massive production, and still a seamless experience. Great narrative, and yes the animations were great too. I tried replaying it and it's just not the same, that first playthrough blew me the fuck away. Reminded me of my first play through Portal 2.

Also DOOM picking up best soundtrack nice! That game really surprised me with it's music, consistently surprising. Well done.

It's too bad that Watch Dogs 2 didn't get any mentions, if there was a category for "most fun to be had" they'd have won it.

DICE pickup up best sound design for BF1 isn't much of a surprize, their sound design and HDR sound engine is frostbite is still unmatched.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2017, 17:13 Slick

I can't remember how many times I've had that argument with friends over the years, specifically at times when ATI was actually better, the nVidia guys would always get VERY ANGRY. I've never seen that go the other way around.Leave it to russia to take an existing thing to it's logical extreme. bravo.  

News Comments > For Honor Cheaters Banned
10. Re: For Honor Cheaters Banned Feb 24, 2017, 17:02 Slick

I think this game uses P2P for multiplayer, there's tons of ways you can fuck with that. It'll get broken way open sooner or later.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Free Weekend
13. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 17:01 Slick

OH SHIT IT'S FUCKING P2P MP AHAHAHAHAHAHA. *fart*  

12. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2017, 16:47 Slick

UGH, zombies is locked, it's only MP, i should probably learn to read better  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 24, 2017, 08:13 Slick

hmm, ending win 8.1 support? i assume they still support win 7? that's kinda weird, as win 8.1 is a lot closer to win 10 than win 7.

I mean 32-bit is cancer, but still, this is weird.

Maybe they just collective said "win 8 is the worst"

7. Re: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Free Weekend Feb 24, 2017, 04:40 Slick

meh free is good. if zombies are available then that's worth a free weekend right there. COD MP is boring as fuck, I'd much rather play toxikk or UT4 if i'm going to do arena-sized stuff.  

News Comments > Free Steam Audio SDK
1. Re: Free Steam Audio SDK Feb 24, 2017, 04:07 Slick

very very cool, this is the shit I like to see Steam doing, with all of their vast power in the gaming space.

Really it's microsoft that should be doing this stuff, as the platform-holder, but they haven't shown much interest in audio ever since they took on the whole audio stack from dedicated hardware in vista around 2005 i think? But that's a whole other tangent. Fuckers took audio control away from 3rd party hardware, then pretty much forgot about it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
103. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 23, 2017, 17:02 Slick

holy shit, how the fuck did I miss this thread!? popcorn time!

seriously though, I'll have some strong opinions about whatever the hell is going on here though, you can be sure of that. xD

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta
18. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Feb 23, 2017, 16:58 Slick

Darks wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 16:07:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 12:11:
Flo wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 11:48:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 09:55:
My problem with this one is the same problem I have with any other coop games. Unless you have some dedicated friends that are available the time you are available to play coop with you, the game is pretty terrible in single player mode.
I am hearing it is a blast in coop mode though.
Played a couple of missions solo and I like it so far. The AI companions dont get in my way and behave pretty OK. I really thought I wouldn't enjoy it that much. Graphics are just OK, though. Framerate on XBone is not consistent, better on a 960gtx on my PC.
Yeah I've played a mission in solo as well, and it seemed like Ai was just standing there not doing much at all. I was looking at the map trying to find the next mission while getting shot at and Ai was just looking around
You're correct though at least they do not get in my way to do the missions, so that's a plus I guess but this game feels like it's geared towards coop play not solo.
I think The Division does a much better job at catering solo and coop players alike.

Just my opinion of course your mileage may vary

You have to command the AI, they will for the most part sit back and wait. And sometime engage if they get engaged. But you have a command menu for them learn to use it!!

This.

I felt like a fool for wondering why my AI wasn't doing anything smart, until I remembered what game I was playing

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta
10. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Feb 23, 2017, 14:20 Slick

PHJF wrote on Feb 23, 2017, 14:08:
I made it ~15 minutes before the absolute blandness that is this game crushed any willingness I had to continue playing.

I made it about 40 minutes in the CB, I'm guess this time will be closer to your time. CJ has the record as he downloaded it, then removed the hard drive, ejaculated on it after eating nothing but liver and onions for a week, then burned the hard drive in a bonfire in a black magic satanic ritual that turned time back by 10 minutes. So he technically has -10 minutes on this.

In other news... is performance still shite? Nvidia bothered releasing drivers for this yet?

News Comments > Steam Adding 10% GST in AU
27. Re: Steam Adding 10% GAT in AU Feb 22, 2017, 19:45 Slick

Numinar wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 19:36:
Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 19:35:
Darks wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 15:31:
Yea, you say that up until the enemy shows up in your back yard and you cant do a damn thing about it. Its called preventive measures. Always be prepared no matter what!

Yeah, and that sort of institutional paranoia - which is common for Americans in a way they don't understand themselves - that continually allows the MIC to keep fleecing people like you. Jesus Christ, man! Eisenhower warned the American public about that very thing when he left office!

Eisenhower, who actually stared down the Soviets at what was probably their most dangerous so you would think they would have fucking listened to him.

While I agree with all of that, there IS a very real effect on geopolitics because of the fact that the US is so ridiculously overpowered.

Many geo-political situations would have played out very differently if there wasn't the might of the empire backing one side or the other. For better or worse, it's primarily a force of deterrence.

I don't think that it has to eat 500 billion a year to be that effective, but there is a reason for it to exist that has nothing to do with "what if X country invades?" They aren't going to invade BECAUSE the force exists. If the force didn't exist, the last 70 years would have played out MUCH differently.

If China wants to invade Taiwan, and there's a couple US naval fleets just hanging out in the south China sea, then that whole situation plays out VERY differently, than if the US wasn't there. Call it empire if you will, I think that for the most part, this force has had a great impact on the way things play out across the globe, even if it's never used.

I mean look at the wars since WWII, they've gotten smaller and smaller over the years. Still devastating, but there's a reason terrorists use guerilla tactics, because no one can beat the US in all-out warfare, so there hasn't really been all-out warfare in that time period. I for one am thankful for at least that.

Even if they spend way too much goddamned money on it, and too little on education and healthcare...

News Comments > Steam VR Drops Course Requirement
19. Re: Steam VR Drops Course Requirement Feb 22, 2017, 19:33 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 17:15:
Slick wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 16:29:
lol no demand for VR, that's why they was a months-long waiting list before launch for both major VR companies.

You can have that kind of demand for a niche product. However, that doesn't necessarily mean large market demand. While I appreciate your reference, please remember plasma TVs never took off. LCDs rapidly took over as the format of choice with 4K LCDs likely to surpass LCDs very soon. The point I'm making is not to say VR is going away, just like 3D Printers haven't gone away. The point is, like 3D Printers, VR isn't going to reach full market status at its current rate unless something drastic happens. Perhaps eliminating the $3,000-course cost is the Killer App that will let VR take off as it leads to an increase in innovative VR apps that drive device sales. Only time will tell what happens.

Yeah Plasmas were only the first-gen massive flat panels. They led the way to the evolution of the LCD space where prices came down, mass acceptance was had, and within a decade all TVs were flat, and aspect ratios changed to 16:9 to boot.

Further on this silly tangent, plasmas have a huge legacy as a premium viewing experience, people still speak of the Pioneer Kuro Plasmas with hushed tones of reverence. But all of that is giving way to OLED, which is the spiritual-successor to plasma. self-emitting pixels, great motion handling, great contrast, great blacks. If you've paid attention to the 2017 CES coverage you'd know that OLEDs are starting to spread their wings.

The whole point was that the first-gen adopters can always expect a highly inefficient, highly costly iteration of a new idea. No one thought that the hard-drive'd first gen iPods were anything but a niche product, and that gave way to mobile everything once the tech was sorted out, prices came down, etc. etc. etc.

I don't see how you could differentiate these first baby steps that VR is taking (less than a year old, commercially) from a flop or the beginnings of something that will change how people interact and communicate for years to come. As someone who's actually followed the evolution of VR since early 2014, I can say that without question the interest and outside investment has gone up exponentially year-on-year. I don't see what analysis you have that would counteract the utter plethora of new money flowing into VR in the last 12 months. In other words, according to you, up is down.

2488 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo