Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 2627 (Senior)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2017, 18:08 Slick

if you paid $1000 a year in transit fees, 15% of that is $150

that $150 you could write off not having to pay taxes on, which if you're only using transit probably means you're near the bottom of the tax brackets. say 25%. so 25% of $150 means you're losing approx $37.50 per year in transit write offs.

$37.50 a year is not nothing, but it's not much either. I mean one transit fare hike is far more impactful that this.

As for 1 cent per litre of wine? come now, that's actually nothing. If you care about 0.75 cents per bottle of wine, then you're probably paying in cash, and that will just get rounded up or down anyways.

There's a lot of real things in this world worth getting angry about Cutter. This isn't one of them.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Apex Missions Launch
24. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Apex Missions Launch Mar 24, 2017, 11:21 Slick

those are 2 completely different arguments.

If you don't like the game on it's own merits, that's one thing.

Saying that it's fundamentally broken from a technical point of view is entirely another.

Personally I'm enjoying the dialogue, it's cheeseball sci-fi, i eat that shit up. Very Star Trek, very Gattaca. I think that gamers forget the origins of sci-fi isn't massively serious space opera, it's pretty camp.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 24, 2017, 10:35 Slick

So i feel noobish, what's single-rank vs double-rank memory? single/dual channel I know of, but I've never heard of "rank".  

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access
3. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Mar 24, 2017, 09:33 Slick

wwas pretty psyched for this, until reading the steam negative reviews, same exact shit I've been saying forever, that UE4 is totally broken in open-world environments.

People are playing at VERY LOW settings (yes, there is a "very low" setting for everything) on a 980ti and getting 20-30 FPS.

it's EA sure, but come on, this is beyond an optimization thing, the engine is just fucking garbage.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Apex Missions Launch
22. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Apex Missions Launch Mar 24, 2017, 09:19 Slick

Yeah, the SP issues are largely cosmetic and don't really change the experience at all. Gamers getting their panties in a bunch over nothing once again.

It seems to be relegated to a few characters, Addison in particular has this weird eye thing going on, and I've seen one NPC totally frozen in dialogue except for the lips, that was nifty.

In any other context, these small bugs and visual goofs would be hilarious and charming. Not just comparing it to the billion+ bugs in Skyrim at launch... but comparing directly to other much more broken Frostbite games, remember the long-necks in BF3? lol, there were so many broken animations in that game... no one complained, they turned it into a meme, had a laugh, and got on with their lives.

I'm enjoying the game so far, although it's a bit too big. I liked the more focused linear levels of the other games, as there was less downtime. Although I liked the levels of the first two DA games too... basically they've "DA:I'd" this ME game, in that it's just big, and exploration is a big part.

News Comments > Destiny 2 in September?
6. Re: Destiny 2 in September? Mar 23, 2017, 19:18 Slick

Jason Jones? Former Daily Show correspondent? Husband to Samantha Bee?

Also, it does look reasonably good (with 30 fps you can get away with a lot), but IMO there are many games that look better.

News Comments > Morning Patches
4. Re: Morning Patches Mar 23, 2017, 19:17 Slick

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 18:20:
Great game you have to replay 3 times to get the entire game?

5 times actually from what I've read...

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 23, 2017, 09:31 Slick

I wonder if Spielberg will have to alter this entry in the upcoming Ready Player One movie, as the book talks about how Adventure is the first game to have an easter egg, which turns out to be a non-trivial plot point.

Very cool historic find.

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Mar 23, 2017, 09:26 Slick

Wow, Nier is quad-buffered by default (!!!). This has to be the most shite PC port in recent memory. I don't know why they didn't just hold off on it until it wasn't utterly broken, like they did with the Raiden game.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 in September?
1. Re: Destiny 2 in September? Mar 23, 2017, 09:23 Slick

I'd buy a PC version, the game was decent boarderlands-esque fun.

But my god, 30 FPS with an FOV of 2 on those consoles was enough to make me chuck.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2017, 10:08 Slick

That site looks like a reliable source, my employment tenure is guaranteed!  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
119. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 21, 2017, 09:09 Slick

Worth repeating in just about every thread in this forum that includes people trying to incite a rally of hate. It should be shot down before it has a chance to become a movement.

"Grr, I'm so mad! Aren't you guys mad too? guys? anyone!?"

They only feel validated by other people glomming onto their hate march. There's no safety in numbers here. Just let them die out. The gaming world has to wake up and starting being less passive about these movements happening in their midst.

That being said, the only reason I bought this game was for the racism.

114. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2017, 08:47 Slick

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 08:29:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 08:25:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 08:12:
-snipped for sanity-

Look, CJ plays a game he's railed on for months and stated he wouldn't lower himself down to the rest of us plebs by playing....

Well I still trust his judgement over yours. Why? Cos he tells it pretty straight. Also, Bioware's last few games have been complete garbage. You might like garbage, but its not for everyone.

DA:I wasn't garbage, I really enjoyed it.

Talk about individual user taste...

110. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2017, 08:27 Slick

El Pit wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 07:27:
DarkCntry wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 06:48:
Unlike Steam, EA doesn't penalize the use of VPNs for preload unlocks. A lot of people unlocked at midnight in Korea, which was almost 20 hours ago. I unlocked mine at ~11am PST and have been playing off and on since.

Slick was most likely asking for a way to get a pirated copy - just for testing, of course. After 40 hours of "tests" and a complete playthrough, he will say that this game is not worth full price and that he will wait for it to go on sale for $10 or less. Then, he will just forget buying it once it hits the $10 mark...

Just kidding. Slick would NEVER do this. Right, Slick?

Lol nope, I preordered this the old-fashioned way. Trying to get my wife into it, she loves sci-fi but has never really played a good sci-fi RPG, and going back to ME1 isn't really an option, as the cat's out of the bag about how the series ended etc.

I would pirate it if I had any qualms about how it would perform though, and then buy it after a few hours if I'd end up playing it. I know people say that shit and don't mean it, they just pirate everything, but I don't have kids, I have disposable income, and I like supporting game devs. *SHOCKER*

Also I've noticed that you really lose something when you pirate games to play them fully. There's some sort of psychological mechanic that is subliminally telling you that this experience is disposable. When you can just pirate 1000 games in a week, why bother playing any of them fully? Why bother getting invested in anything? I find people who pirate everything generally don't have the same level of satisfaction. Buying, owning a game, it just feels good. Ionno, maybe I'm crazy.

104. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2017, 06:45 Slick

I'm still curious, how do people have such well-formed opinions about how the story, characters, missions, animations, etc are all garbage, when the game isn't out yet? Well, it's out right now, but wasn't out at the time of those posts.

Are you all secretly game reviewers with advance copies?

Are you basing the entire game off of the first mission you're able to play with the early access?

Are you just parroting some reviewer who has played the whole game and making that your own uninformed opinion?

Or is it all bullshit?

I've spoken to several people IRL who all had VERY REAL opinions of the WHOLE game. How Bioware has "ruined" the franchise, and how they dropped the ball, and how the whole thing is fucking garbage and how they deserve to be financially ruined for this abortion of a game. and NONE OF THEM HAVE PLAYED IT! NONE OF THEM EVEN PLAYED THE EARLY ACCESS DEMO!!

WHAT IS HAPPENING!?!?!?!?!?!?

This is beyond ridiculous. HOW DO YOU KNOW. I demand an answer.

How do you know the game is complete shit when up until a couple hours ago, no one's been able to play it outside about 100 game reviewers around the world? I will not be satisfied until I get an answer on this.

30. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 12:55 Slick

Just wondering anyone here would go about "defending this game" when nobody has played it yet? Playing the first mission doesn't count.  

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 20:45 Slick

Good post NKD. And not only because you added "teenage edgelords" to my vocabulary

I was reminiscing about my initial apprehensions about what "life on the web" would be with my wife earlier today, we seemed to recall thinking that pretending to be a female 38 year old from Texas when you're really a 13 year old male from Toronto was the epitome of "bad behaviour" on the net. Neither of us foresaw the state that we're in now.

It's really really disgusting. Like makes me lose faith in humanity in a broad sense disgusting. How we've let this shit happen, how we've fed this. We've given publicity to attention-seeking trolls, we've glorified their "alt" shit as being a step away from hipster counter-culture, we've ignored the lines of logic and decency, and worst of all we've fed this movement by being okay with "when in doubt, be a cunt" online. I saw it right here in BN. I was excited about games, I was an optimist, and I got picked on pretty fucking hard in my first 6 months. Once I decided to change my behaviour and push back others (for no reason, other than to appear big) did people change their attitude towards me, although I still have a loyal fanbase of people who've ignored me

All I keep thinking back to is the Simpsons episode when Homer becomes a food critic, and he figures out that all anyone wants to read is when he shits all over a restaurant. We're Homer's readers, we're the accomplices that like conflict, reality TV, and love to see someone taking the piss.

My own social experiment on BN shows me that if I act like a bit of a cunt every now and then, people generally leave me alone. If I act like myself then I get torn apart for not hating on stuff enough. It's a sad, and utterly disgusting facet of humanity that I could live without, but I think that we've got to grow through it as a species, the web isn't going away, everyone is close neighbors now, and we're going to have to work our way through this.

As much as I'd like to see some sort of real law enforcement in place for things like doxxing, death threats etc. I think that that only solves the symptom, the problem isn't the trolls who do this shit, it's everyone who feeds them. The people who passively participate in the decline of our culture by playing into their shit.

All it takes is one ass hat to stake some moral low ground, insinuates that his position is totally cool, and people bend over backwards to lower themselves to his level. "that guy" will never go away, but the reaction of the observers, the people needs to change.

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
31. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2017, 17:51 Slick

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 16:16:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
Good software engineering practices are in short supply however. If you're working for the in-house code shop for a company that is in some non-tech related industry, then chances are your software engineering practices consist of "Here's your deadline, regardless of technical feasibility or the time necessary to do it right: get something that (barely) works by then, and we'll fix any problems later (but later will never arrive). Then, as your codebase accumulates more and more problems, and gets more and more neglected, it will become harder and harder to make any forward progress, so in response we'll hire some barely competent contractors to 'help' you out, primarily by committing breaking changes to your production codebase and generally not knowing jack shit about computer science fundamentals or software engineering best practice."

Do ... do you need a hug?

Sounds like exactly what Activision with CoD and Bethesda with their RPGs have been doing for 15 years. Just slap another coat of paint on it johnny! People don't expect anything more!

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
30. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 19, 2017, 17:49 Slick

DangerDog wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 15:47:
All they need to do is transition support for DX13 to be exclusive to UWP.

That move might prove to be... *puts on shades* unlucky.

Vulkan would sweep all game devs under their tent, and MS would risk losing basically all gamers only holding on to their OS as a necessity to game.

They might as well take that argument to the logical extreme, as several here have already done, and say that all apps on windows will have to be UWP, and that they'll throw away Win32 entirely, shutting down a trillion dollars of global software developer infrastructure with it.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 17:09 Slick

ledhead1969 wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 17:03:
Mommy and daddy's college money is not being well spent.

Well, you just lost the argument.

ledhead1969 wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 17:03:
Wildlands has terrible Ubi-mouth synch, F4 was sketchy, as was Skyrim and other RPG...even th elatest Deus Ex. That is OBVIOUS and deserved ridicule. Just because a snowflake lied about her role (or, didn't) doesn't mean she shouldn't be judged.

So no hypocrisy by judging all other RPGs to one standard, but for some reason this one is different? Cognitive dissonance, maybe read what it means before you hilariously confirm it in you.

This isn't just some dev being judged, it's a witchhunt.

NOT TO MENTION THEY TARGETED THE WRONG PERSON.

Whoops! Angry internet gamers turned their pitchforks on the wrong person. It's okay, I've sure she's been doxxed and has some death threats being mailed to her right now.

2627 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo