Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 3892 (Veteran)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed

33. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 17:17 Slick

Completely reasonable sentiment from the article's author, I don't know why the default position of half the people posting in thie thread is to attack him. Honestly doesn't sound like they read the article or you know, have an imagination vivid enough to empathize with his position.

I'll say that the same holds true for me and my wife, her especially as she's very busy with work. She started RDR2 on the Xbox literally a year ago, and is only on chapter 3. Forget remembering the plot, character motivations, inventory status, or map progression... just remembering that game's incredibly complex control scheme on controller requires an Einstein-like level of mental fortitude to retain longer than a couple weeks...

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Launch Trailer

3. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Launch Trailer Oct 31, 2019, 16:03 Slick

WARNING!

Pretty big story spoilers in this trailer.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

News Comments > EA Games Returning to Steam

85. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 31, 2019, 01:08 Slick

That looks neat! If for some reason I really need a launcher to tell me how to organize my games, I'd probably get that.

It's kinda like how I hate how iTunes just throws songs into these weird folders when sorting my music (as an actual DJ), I like control over my shit, and I have it with the Windows operating system. Anything on top of that is just excess.

82. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 30, 2019, 23:39 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 16:03:
We want all our games on a single platform.

NO.

No we do not.

And if I may tempt fate here... FUUUUUUUUUUCK NO.

I don't want only one store to buy my music from.
I don't want only one store to buy my movies from.
I don't want only one store to buy mt TV from.
I don't want only one store to buy my books from.
I don't want only one store to buy my groceries from.
I don't want only one store to buy my computer parts from.
I don't want only one store to buy my car from.
I don't want only one store to buy my electronics from.
I don't want only one store to buy ANYTHING from.

Competition is good, and monopolies are illegal for a reason.

I don't want only one store to buy ANYTHING from.

And can I point out the FUUUUUUUUUUCKING obvious here? We are ALREADY all on the same platform! It's called the personal motherfucking computer. How you arrange your files on it is up to you. You can create shortcuts for any game from any launcher and throw them in whatever file folder system you can dream of. You can place them on your desktop, on the taskbar, in the start menu etc. etc. etc. WE'RE ALREADY ON THE SAME PLATFORM. You don't need an extra app to do the same sorting you can already do on windows.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Has $600M Opening Weekend

23. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Has $600M Opening Weekend Oct 30, 2019, 23:21 Slick

I really liked the SP campaign. That ending spoiler aside, it had a reasonably interesting message as a mass-media device that will influence millions of people.

I can divorce myself from the actions of Blizz re: HK protests and this game. The campaign is actually pretty subversive, and doesn't paint Russians in particular in a very positive light. The game is banned on the PS4 in Russia, I'm guessing because of the campaign. Oh, also, one of the unlockable skins for the "bad guys" in MP is a fucking dead ringer for Putin. Pretty funny shit.

I think the most interesting thing technologically that no one's talking about is that this is a DX12-only title, and they are using some VERY cool rendering techniques to be able to have the scope magnification separate from the periphery. I think I want to make a youtube video about it with my wife to break down the physics of optics. That plus cross-play that actually works and doesn't feel weirdly imbalanced, those are some serious wins for the franchise. Then there's the 64-player mode that''s trying to be Battlefield, and while the infantry (especially sniper) gameplay is really tight in the big maps, the vehicle play is laughable, and they clearly have a lot of catching up to do vs. DICE.

65. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 30, 2019, 02:09 Slick

Prez wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 01:55:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2019, 01:24:
Slick wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 20:59:
Just to really drill down on this. You're officially a fucking moron for buying a game on Steam that then links you to have to play it through Origin. Same with games Ubisoft games sold on Steam requiring Uplay.

You're literally giving the companies who MADE the fucking games LESS money so that you can have MORE inconvenience. While GabeN just
adds another integer to his account balance.

Prove me wrong.
Steam friends, and achievements, if that's your thing.

I guess I'm a fucking moron (of course it's coming from Slick of all people so... yeah). I prefer to have all my games catalogued on Steam when possible, since I extensively use the features of the platform. As long as the other platforms that are required to run beside it are unobtrusive, which Origin and Uplay are, I don't mind.

If you're incapable of launching a game that isn't from steam, can't you just "add non-steam game" to your library? It would effectively be doing the exact same thing.

Which brings me to my next point in reply to Chaos Engine:

" but to say that Valve "did absolutely zilch to make the game" is either naive or disingenuous."

Valve didn't fund ANY part of the game's development whatsoever. They are a middleman. They are repackaging someone else's hard work, and taking a healthy slice for providing payment processing and bandwidth (both of which I've proved cost them literally pennies).

Valve didn't employ any game designers or level editors. They didn't employ any texture, audio, concept artists. They didn't employ coders, programmers, or network technicians. They didn't fund the writers, directors, mo-cap performers or voice actors. They didn't pay for the office space or keep the lights on. They also didn't do marketing (which is usually half the total cost of production) other than maybe having it featured in their store on launch week.

No, Valve didn't make the game AT ALL. They just take other people's work and sell it. Literal definition of middleman. Nothing wrong with that, but would you intentionally deprive the people who actually built the product to instead line the pockets of someone who didn't have ANYTHING to do with development?

Vote with your wallets folks.

60. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 21:02 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 20:56:
Slick wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 20:53:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 18:14:
wtf_man wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 14:39:
Never, will I install Origin.

Sounds like an indy horror film. I'm writing the log-line in my head already using the movie-phone guys voice.

"In a world dominated by multi-billion dollar corporations"

"one man refuses to let one of them into his life, but after a fateful event he decides he'd rather have it both ways"

"this summer, watch the man open up both holes simultaneously for:

"SKISH-KA-BOB: A tale of utter stupidity"

"GET SKEWERED"
https://youtu.be/cTE9WOGAgiE

Oh yeah baby, I love playing around with sound design. I helped my friend change his intro from this:

https://youtu.be/fMo7LPxinhs

to this: (my audio)

https://youtu.be/lCKWTVKS4eY

59. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 20:59 Slick

Just to really drill down on this. You're officially a fucking moron for buying a game on Steam that then links you to have to play it through Origin. Same with games Ubisoft games sold on Steam requiring Uplay.

You're literally giving the companies who MADE the fucking games LESS money so that you can have MORE inconvenience. While GabeN just
adds another integer to his account balance.

Prove me wrong.

57. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 20:53 Slick

JohnnyRotten wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 18:14:
wtf_man wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 14:39:
Never, will I install Origin.

Sounds like an indy horror film. I'm writing the log-line in my head already using the movie-phone guys voice.

"In a world dominated by multi-billion dollar corporations"

"one man refuses to let one of them into his life, but after a fateful event he decides he'd rather have it both ways"

"this summer, watch the man open up both holes simultaneously for:

"SKISH-KA-BOB: A tale of utter stupidity"

"GET SKEWERED"

49. Re: EA Games Returning to Steam Oct 29, 2019, 17:18 Slick

I'll never understand humans. The same people who said they'd never install origin are now happy that they have to run origin AND steam at the same time, every time they launch the game. Hurray?

Not even touching the "giving a significant (though probably less than 30%) cut of gross to a company that did absolutely zilch to make the game... this just seems like a customer INconvenience if anything.

I sure to love having to drive to Target AND Walmart anytime I want to buy one thing. * shrug *

News Comments > Sunday Patches

1. Re: Sunday Patches Oct 20, 2019, 15:09 Slick

Played through this game 3 times already, i'd be considering a 4th in 1st person, but Legions is coming out soon...  

News Comments > Blizzard Addresses blitzchung Controversy; Reduces Penalties

43. Re: Blizzard Addresses blitzchung Controversy; Reduces Penalties Oct 13, 2019, 09:41 Slick

I received a correspondance from a family member who's been living in HK for the past 20 years, if anyone wants a glimpse into the shitshow happening right now:

Of course we are safe. But there are loads of protests in wan chai and even happy valley now.
Itís not about our safety. Itís about the future. HK is being ripped apart. Friends against friends. Family against family. The HK gov has turned the people against the people. The people against the police. And theyíve been very successful.
Thereís be so little international support. No one wants to lose the China market or as a trading partner.
Did you read about the tweet with the Houston rockets? Google it. No one will cross China.
Only the people of HK.
The mtr closed over this last long weekend. Everything closed. Everything. 7 11 s closed!!! The government says they wonít reopen the mtr unless people stop the protests.
Itís insane.
Hotels are empty businesses are closing.
internationally , all events are cancelling.
Tourism is done.
What are the long term effects here? Will anything change fir the better?
HK is talking about turning off the internet to stop protesters who use apps to communicate!!!
Itís awful.
And ya, the violence on both sides is getting nuts

News Comments > Fortnite Chapter 2 Leaked?

1. Re: Fortnite Chapter 2 Leaked? Oct 12, 2019, 02:40 Slick

Let's recap:

Fortnite development started in 2011. Royale in 2017. More than two years later they're considering a new map.

Apex has been out for 7 months, and we already have 2 maps.

And people bitch about how Apex has "no content".

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 12, 2019, 02:37 Slick

And how would I not be playing the game? It would generate say 100 different versions of what the next videoframe will be, and then it wakes MY controller input, and that validates the correct frame, which is the one that will show up on my TV.  

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 12, 2019, 02:35 Slick

Naw bro, it would work. You don't need to predict what will happen 10 minutes later, you only need about 2 frames (60ms or so) of predictions.

Like I said, it's nothing that can be done today, but I'm talking about the open-ended future where computational costs keep rising. There will one day be enough power to do this even on an 8k AAA game.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 11, 2019, 16:29 Slick

What the fuck is sharpshooter mode? Does he mean bullet-time?  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2019, 16:25 Slick

I just got a great idea on how to actually have near-zero latency, check it out:

The servers send a "choose your own adventure" sampling of like 10x different next-frame possibilities, then the controller/smart tv recognizes the controller's input, and chooses the "correct" frame.

Sounds like sci-fi, but other industries kinda do this already.

Most high quality video content (film/tv) is shot on 6k and 8k cameras, and then downsampled to 4k, 1080p, whatever. But you can ALSO use that expanded 8k canvas to crop the image in post to 4k, and now you can move the framing of the shot around, all without losing quality.

Same idea, you're just sending more information than is actually needed, and then you pick what part of the frame you actually need to see.

Would need crazy computational power, not really feasible these days, but in the future? That could actually kill lag, unless they're planning on breaking the speed limits of photons traveling through fiber...

News Comments > STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order Specs

3. Re: STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order Specs Oct 9, 2019, 01:14 Slick

I've already played the game, it looks good but it's UE4 as mentioned, so prepare for a slideshow on anything less than recommended probably.  

News Comments > Epic Settles with Fortnite Cheat-Seller

5. Re: Epic Settles with Fortnite Cheat-Seller Oct 9, 2019, 00:18 Slick

Can we bring back eugenics to neuter this little fuckwit?

Sure he'll be protected by his age, can't help but wonder who's working with him though.

News Comments > Free Month of Origin Access with 2FA

19. Re: Free Month of Origin Access with 2FA Oct 3, 2019, 06:33 Slick

Also I should give a nod to the die-hard trolls who just shit on anything EA. You guys sure do hang in there tough.

The obvious fallacy is that we can't take anything you say on the subject seriously.

There are no shortage of times to give EA shit, but when you shit the bed when they give out free games, or in this case lots of free games for a month in return for actually securing your account better... what are you mad at?

You see the dilemma with crying wolf like this? No one can take you seriously when you might actually have real beef with a decision, policy, or action EA takes.

TLDR; If you're mad all the time, it just loses it's power and people start ignoring you. Anger or ecstasy should be used like the word "fuck" in your daily conversations. If you say it all the time no one takes you seriously. But if you act like a reasonable human and then exclaim some profanity at something truly outrageous, people are calibrated to your character, and they understand that what you're upset at is truly worth looking at.

3892 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >