Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 2852 (Senior)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Prey Trial Version Released
14. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 22:47 Slick

Ech, I thought Prey 2017 was pretty underwhelming, as it didn't really do anything original other than the GLOO gun. It blatantly stole all gameplay mechanics from other franchises which IMO did them better.

And yes, it wasn't "Prey 2"

But then again I'd point you towards my comparison to Star Wars: Battlefront. DICE's game wasn't called "Star Wars: Battlefront 3". They just called it "Star Wars: Battlefront" This was a clear indication that it's a game in the Star Wars: Battlefront franchise, reboot or no.

And this wasn't lost on the tens of thousands of gamers who not only cried foul, but actively boycotted the DICE game solely on the grounds that it wasn't a "true" Star Wars: Battlefront game.

Most people on this very forum acted in this way, lest we forget.

In both cases it seems to be a case of mob mentality gone amok, it's just perplexing that in one case the mob leaned so heavily against DICE's game, and so favourably towards Arkane's game. When it could be argued that the new Battlefront was MUCH closer in genre, theme, mechanics, and tone as the originals, whereas the new Prey game couldn't have been more different from the previous one.

And the last Battlefront game before DICE was about 12 years ago, so this idea that there's a moratorium on shamelessly cash-grabbing by slapping a name onto a game if X number of years have elapsed simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 22:04 Slick

Drayth wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 21:48:
Yeah, I already knew they didn't go in to this game thinking it would be a Prey sequel (that was tacked on later in development), so I just ignored it's "lineage". It has no connection to the original game at all, unless I missed some tiny throwback or something.

I just think of it as a new game with the same name as the old idtech Prey.

Sure, but do you think it's a bit odd that no one seemed to care?

If Half Life 3 was nothing like Half-Life, infact if it was a totally different genre and they just tacked the title "Half Life" on because they thought it would help the game sell more...

Don't you think there would be riots? or at the very least a peep made by the fans? Instead of a tacit defense of this shameless tactic?

At the very least, from a social perspective, this whole ordeal is very strange.

Remember when Star Wars: Battlefront by DICE wasn't the EXACT SAME as the previous titles in the series (even though they were the same genre, with the same lore), do you not remember the torches and pitchforks? I remember.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

10. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 21:31 Slick

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a demo, all games should have demos. I'm a child of the shareware era after all.

All I'm saying is that the first hour lays the foundation of "mind fuckery" that the original Prey was known for. And shortly after the first hour you're spat out into an entirely different experience, essentially a BioShock clone. The "mind fuckery" doesn't rear its head again until the last hour of the game.

And as in my review, I'll double-down that the last hour's "mind fuckery" is genuinely well done, as is the first hour. It's the fact that they completely ditched everything that made the franchise interesting that irks me.

It's as if Half Life 3 came out and was a Hearthstone clone. It's a totally different genre, with zero lore or gameplay mechanics that the franchise is known for. Just because YOU didn't like Half-Life 2, doesn't mean that it's fine for developers to just totally change the format, genre, lore, gameplay etc. etc. etc.

If this was any other franchise, people would be up in arms, it's very curious as to why people defend this behaviour.

1. Re: Prey Trial Version Released Aug 16, 2017, 17:35 Slick

If this is anything like the other demo they had on consoles, it's quite misleading. The first hour of gameplay and last hour of gameplay aren't very indicative of how the middle 23 hours of gameplay play out.

I remember thinking how great this game would be based on the opening hour... I was disappoint.

News Comments > For Honor Free Weekend
1. Re: For Honor Free Weekend Aug 11, 2017, 01:24 Slick

Somebody really needs to tell Ubisoft to lay off the fucking menu-mania nonsense. Most other successful studios have gotten the memo that there's a timer ticking in the gamer's head from the time they double click on the game's icon in the desktop to the time that they actually start playing. For Honor isn't "Evolve" level of bad, but it's close.  

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
55. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 00:19 Slick

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 22:42:
WaltC wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 21:14:
But all of that is water over the dam now and I wish Sweeney well on his return to Windows and with his Unreal 4 PC game engine--hope it does well.

Unreal Engine 4 is probably the most successful engine of all time, in terms of adoption worldwide by (both AAA and indie) gaming studios.. I thought this was pretty well known?

Incorrect.

If you meant to say that UE3 was so popular, you'd have a modicum of a point. UE4 however, is an entirely different beast, and has not seen the widespread adoption as UE3 enjoyed. And for good reason, UE4 is fucking SHITE.

I like lawbreakers, but goddamn, playing on medium with poo textures and overall quality and STILL getting frame drops left and right, then switching to BF1 and within 10 seconds I remember what it's like to aim in real-time again... while the game looks amazing.

EU4 borrowed too much from UE3, they're slapping new coats of paint on an old frame. Frostbite however was designed the opposite way, they designed it to be used with hardware 10 years in the future, and then gimped it down. Every couple years they remove a couple layers of paint to show the gem inside.

54. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 11, 2017, 00:12 Slick

Angrius Maximis wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 22:24:
Actually we are refusing to by it because its a shitty rehash of every game released in the past fucking 10 months...enough already

I've never seen a game that does mobility like LB does. Never even seen a game TRY to do mobility like what LB does. I understand that this isn't important for all people, but for some of us, it's VERY important.

53. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 00:11 Slick

Remember Super Mario Bros 2?

Where you got to pick your character at the beginning, and the difference between them was solely their mobility? Yeah, that's what Lawbreakers is. Every class has a different way of getting around, and somehow they all work together. For people that enjoy fast-paced arena games LIKE overwatch, it's pretty fun. If you told me that lawbreakers was made by Blizzard and Overwatch by whoever, I wouldn't argue. Same with BattleBorn, it has that cartoony "blizzard" vibe if you didn't know any better. Too bad that this mob mentality for the peons is destroying gaming, I mean, when OW gets 10,000,000 players, and Lawbreakers gets 2,000. There's something very wrong with that picture.

TL DR:

Blizzard already haz this game guise. No other interesting games acceptable. 1 game per genre PLZ.

25. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 13:06 Slick

Wesp5 wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 11:55:
ForgedReality wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 11:13:
On a positive note, I just picked up Prey 2017 for thirty bucks. Holy shit it's totally worth it. I mean, it starts out slowly, but I play my games slowly anyway, scrounging every little nook and cranny to try and find every little thing.

Congratulations ;)! You'll be able to finish the main story in about 5 hours (I don't know if side missions count), while visiting the same 10 plus maps over and over in a backtracking record that beats SS2 easily to stretch out a short game. You might like it nevertheless if you liked SS2 because it's basically SS3 :)...

oi, speaking of shameless clones...

24. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 13:05 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 12:41:
WOW Overwatch clones

I think you mean Team Fortress clones.

If you're going to claim that games are all copying one title in the genre, at least get the title right.

23. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 13:03 Slick

Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 10:15:
The Cliffy B consideration doesn't play much into my decisions, as I'm sure is the case with 95% of the target audience for Lawbreakers. I think it looks cool as hell, but I already have a multiplayer-only competitive hero shooter that I like - that being Overwatch obviously - and I don't feel like I need another.

LB isn't a hero shooter, it's a class-based shooter, if you can go with me on this distinction. It's much closer to the loadouts you'd see in a CoD or BF game than the wacky asymmetrical combat in OW. At least that's my take on it. Sure there's a melee class, and a heavy slow class, and a medic class, but the rest just have guns and different mobility options to make them distinct. If the LB characters were in OW, 85% of them would be in the "offensive" class.

Also, I think it's an odd sentiment that it's not worth trying something new in a genre you seem to enjoy because you "already have the game that fills that niche". By that metric most FPS gamers wouldn't have moved on from Counterstrike... wait a minute....

News Comments > Destiny 2 Multiplayer Trailer
2. Re: Destiny 2 Multiplayer Trailer Aug 9, 2017, 01:48 Slick

wait, 4v4? it was 6v6 in Destiny 1... which still felt thin...  

News Comments > For Honor For Free For the Weekend
3. Re: For Honor For Free For the Weekend Aug 8, 2017, 03:51 Slick

I'll play the campaign for free ^_^

the MP beta didn't buzz me.

News Comments > LawBreakers Released
9. Re: LawBreakers Released Aug 8, 2017, 03:28 Slick

woot! got VIP on my first match, I like this style of gameplay.

Feels a lot more polished than the alpha I tried well over a year ago, but still not %100 there yet. Still, for $30 it's priced right for what you get.

My only real gripe is the fucking UE4 engine, running on medium settings on a GTX 1080 and still can't max my frames... goddamn this engine fucking blows.

News Comments > New SteelSeries Mice Boast 1-to-1 Sensors
8. Re: New SteelSeries Mice Boast 1-to-1 Sensors Aug 1, 2017, 17:36 Slick

if it doesn't have the wireless tech that the Logi G900 has, i have zero interest. It's funny how people talk about 1:1 accuracy, but are fine with being tethered, having the physical mouse being pulled on different tensions just moving it around the mat. THAT is a source for far more innacuracy than a 1:1 sensor instead of a 1:1.00000001 sensor  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 11:45 Slick

Beamer wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 11:24:
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 10:56:
Re: Samsung

OMFG fucking snowflakes. Spend less time fucking crying about nonexistent bullshit and you'll enjoy your life more. Seriously.

Next they'll be complaining that there are only two gender options. >_<

Fuck I hate humanity.

Why does this bother you?

Oh come on, even I'm bothered by this article. When you lose a loaded word like "sexist" it should actually mean something.

It seems like they used descriptive words for the character of the voices recorded, not a commentary about how ALL MALES ARE CONFIDENT while ALL FEMALES ARE CHIPPER. HOW DARE THEY!>?!

Give me a break. I swear, just when the left should be more united than ever in fighting the bullshit on the right they somehow lose all sympathy from me when they force these non-issues like they're important. It's a scourge.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 17, 2017, 07:43 Slick

Where's WaltC to tell us that none of this is as bad as owning a private email server?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jul 15, 2017, 06:24 Slick

This has been my wallpaper for a long time now, I read the book a couple weeks after it came out, and many times since. It's my "Catcher in the Rye" sort to speak.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 15, 2017, 06:22 Slick

That's cyberpunk.  

News Comments > Fortnite Launch Trailer
9. Re: Fortnite Launch Trailer Jul 10, 2017, 18:10 Slick

Played this with the wife at a special event at PAX West 2014. It doesn't look like it's changed much. The grind does seem real, but the more annoying this was the fucking artillery zombies.

So you put all this effort into building a base that funnels them into your traps and guns etc. and then they spawn these zombies that stay 100m away from your base and just lob artillery, and in a minute your roof has caved in, leaving your base mostly buggered.

2852 Comments. 143 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo