Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 2460 (Senior)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 20, 2017, 18:16 Slick

LOL

Because of course they are.

I'm sure Steam makes more than 3 Million a day (roughly a billion a year according to some estimates).

So this appeals process seems like it's just a giant "fuck you" to consumer rights.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 20, 2017, 15:08 Slick

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 14:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 11:42:
But dons android phone is safe and not a remote control listening device, right? because reasons...

Hey, but at least he doesn't have an unsecured email server!!11

Irony. They're still using the RNC private e-mail servers for many whitehouse staffers.

And no one seems to recall Karl Rove deleting 22 million white house e-mails back in the good ol W Bush years. Which is a few more than Hillary's 33,000.

There are two kinds of conservatives, the rich and the stupid, and most of them aren't rich. -Cutter

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2017, 23:10 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 21:31:
Do you own a 3D TV? If not, thanks for supporting my position. If you do, how often to you watch 3D content? It is a gimmick best left to your local IMAX theater.

I don't own a 3D tv, only because I haven't been in the market for one until recently, still using my old Panny plasma which I <3.

I do however have a 3D active-shutter gaming monitor, and I before the middleware company stopped supporting new titles, was a blast to use. Playing Skyrim was an absolute joy. Any big singpleplayer romp was utterly delightful. I just didn't like the strobing from the active shutter glasses, would have preferred passive ones. And the cross-talk wasn't great.

It was far from perfect, but there's something about TRUE 3D media that comes alive on a good 3D display. 3D movies however are a totally different kettle of fish. 3D movies are generally trash. It's a 2D medium that's trying to fake 3D. there's only so much depth you can get from 2 cameras 3 inches apart. Whereas with 3D games, you don't have to guess what's happening with each scene, the Z-buffer is already rendered, making 3D games look just amazing.

I would always gawk at the level of detail the 3D modelers put into different weapons and sets of armor in Skyrim, details that would be wholly overlooked in the traditional 2D format.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed?
18. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 23:04 Slick

Yeah I think you're right, I was buying AMD cards like the 5780 and the 7970 back then, so I can't quite remember. I do remember that they've done this whole refresh "rebadging" thing before, as has AMD, so there's ample precedent.

I also agree that it seems like it's too early for the 2xxx series, as they only launched the 1080 in June 2016 I think.

That being said, it wouldn't be unlike nV to break out the "big guns" to combat AMD's upcoming GPU announcement (they're both now happening on the same day). And considering they have no new architecture, they could just say "introducing the 2xxx series!" AKA Malibu Stacy with a hat!

Fact is they're already producing Voltas for their supercomputer clientele, and by the end of 2017 they'll be shipping Voltas for their machine learning rigs for the commercial sector, possibly with workstation-class Quadro cards by the end of the year, with consumer Voltas coming out in 2018. So there really isn't THAT much time to fit in a refreshed 2xxx line anyways, so if they were to do it, it would have to be soon-ish. A March announcement and April-May availability wouldn't be far-fetched.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2017, 20:27 Slick

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 20:19:
Reading that article was worth it for this one statement:

"3D TV is dead,..."

WOO HOO! YES! I agree and could not be happier about it.

I'm pretty sad actually, I hope they'll bring it back. The HDR and 3D techs have never properly overlapped. I'd love to play the next Elder Scolls on a 65" HDR-powered passive-3D display.

16. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 19:02 Slick

Rigs wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 18:36:
Slick wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 18:28:
Xero wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 18:23:
Confirm anything!!! I just want some price drops already on the 1070!

If the leaks are to be believed, the 2070 is going to launch soon at a lower price than the 1070, with slightly better performance.

That sounds a little...stupid...to me. Why/How would the 2070 be faster and cost less?

=-Rigs-=

It's a refresh gen, same like what they did with the... was it the 680? It was just a refresh of the 580? And that was also spun into the 770, so the same card essentially appeared in 3 different generations. Each time some very mild optimizations appeared, and the price dropped, but was essentially the same chip.

Supposedly, same shit happening with the 2xxx series. The 3xxx series is their next architecture Volta.

14. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 18:28 Slick

Xero wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 18:23:
Confirm anything!!! I just want some price drops already on the 1070!

If the leaks are to be believed, the 2070 is going to launch soon at a lower price than the 1070, with slightly better performance.

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2017, 17:52 Slick

Sammy sticking with HDR10 is their biggest weakness. They are doubling down on LCD tech, and the lowest-common-denominator HDR standard.

Considering all major streaming services offer Dolby Vision (Streaming platforms is where 90% of the 4k HDR content lives), they're falling behind.

Even Sony has ended their "wait-and-see" approach to Dolby Vision, as they're retroactively adding support for 2016 models, and all future mid-high end sets will support Dolby Vision.

I've seen them both, DV blows HDR10 out of the fucking water, there's no contest. Very very noticeable.

I'm watching the Sony A1E OLED panel announced at CES, it's an LG OLED panel, with Sony's leading motion-handling tech, so should be a best of both worlds scenario.

IMO you don't need 2000 nits of brightness, it sears the eyes, I watch most content in a dark-ish room at night, and OLED just like plasma shines in low-light scenarios. The Vizio P-series that I tried out looked great, but was too bright, and it's considered one of the lowest brightness LCDs out there. Too much.

12. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 17:31 Slick

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 16:04:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 15:26:
WTF, so they're changing the numbering scheme again? Why no 1100s?

It seems unlikely they'd go to a 2000 series, especially since it's not really a big change from the 1000. Dunno. Slick may just be bad at numbers.

And Dr_donkles, yes, it IS a Ferrari, so you won't be buying it for the price of a Corolla.

Do some cursory homework, articles detailing the 2xxx and 3xxx series of nvidia gpus have been circulating for nearly 6 months. Of course nothing is official, but it's very pervasive, it's doubtful that dozens of websites will have all called this wrong.

7. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 15:02 Slick

Task wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 14:54:
Ti is usually the final model of the latest NVidia GPU.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/54285/nvidia-geforce-gtx-2080-ti-lead-20-series/index.html

Actually old rumours, but ones that are still persisting that the Ti will lead the pack for the 2xxx series. It will be a massive seller if it does.

5. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Confirmed? Feb 19, 2017, 14:54 Slick

The popular rumours up until this point was that nV was skipping the 1080ti, and just going straight to the 2xxx series, possibly led by the 2080 ti being the first card. Will know more about this at their event in... March? i want to say?

Anyways, the 2xxx series is just a pascal refresh, 10-15% performance boost for each segment, at a slightly lower price.

the 3xxx series is their Volta architecture that is sure to wow people, but that's not until 2018.

I was personally waiting for a 1080ti of some sorts, I might pick up a 2080 ti if it launched in the next couple months, there's no point if by the time it launches Volta is only 6 months behind...

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista
12. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 05:30 Slick

I wonder if it ever dawns on gamers why exactly a closed system like the xbox or playstation seem to have massively better performance for their admittedly shitty specs than PC gamers enjoy. It's because a PC game has to be compatible with a trillion different hardware configurations, multiple generations of OSes, 32-bit, 64-bit, 2 major GPU manufacturers, etc. etc. etc.

There's obviously pros and cons to each, but I just have to wonder if people who won't give up an 8 year old OS like Win 7 actually understand that devs supporting their ancient platform actually fucks performance up for all of us.

10. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 19, 2017, 02:12 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 20:54:
Slashman wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 20:09:
Shok wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 19:58:
I run Windows XP and except for the occasional (weekly or so) malware infection it is great! Plus there is no built-in spyware, you get a few random infections but being in a botnet isn't all that bad.

Not sure if serious...
Windows XP, not only is it much more secure and less resource hungry but it's also faster than Windows 98 Second Edition and supports more devices than Windows 95. What's not to like.

I lol'd

News Comments > MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games
35. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 02:10 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 22:16:
Is it April first? Because if not, this reads like a threat and not a promise. MS in gaming was never a good thing, which you can already see from Halo Wars 2, a console RTS, which is inferior to ANY rts on PC, being put on Windows as an Windows 10 exclusive. Ah, there is no saying "FUCK YOU" quite like MS can do it.

Really, can we collectively stop caring so much about the platform? I mean exclusives are divisive enough, can we just focus on MS actually trying to make a PC game? And weather that game will be any good? Do they have any solid studios left that they haven't bankrupted who can pull off a real PC game?

34. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 19, 2017, 02:07 Slick

Rigs wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 20:16:
Slick wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 19:37:
This man has the world's most punchable face.

He looks like the illegitimate love child of Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) and Jon Stewart (Daily Show).

=-Rigs-=

Oh shiiiiit, I can't ever un-see that now

Although he does somehow take the "shit-eating grin" to a whole new level. Boss level.

25. Re: MS Promises Windows Exclusive Games Feb 18, 2017, 19:37 Slick

This man has the world's most punchable face.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2017, 19:31 Slick

couple things about this:

1) Robots aren't cheap as it is, although this will certainly change in the future. There's a reason why China employs people to literally attach individual LEDs to circuit boards, as it's cheaper than a robot. That particular example I think exemplifies how ridiculous Chinese labour is, there's 10,000 LEDs on a "wafer" the size of a large postage stamp, and humans have to individually snip them, and solder them for cheaper electronics.

2) Tax would be a good way to help all the people who will eventually be displaced form their jobs due to robotics, if that tax could be insured to actually go to the people being displaced, and not earmarked for porc barrel spending or military projects etc. If we're talking mid/long term, robotics and AI/machine learning will replace most of the world's workforce. So it's not too early to stat thinking about how that would actually work without throwing the planet into chaos.

I think that the endgame is to get nobody working, no dumb ass jobs at least. No one wants to spend 12 hours doing 1 thing on an assembly line, nor do they want to do a bunch of monotonous tax code scanning as an accountant... a machine could do all of that better.

2. Re: Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista Feb 18, 2017, 19:12 Slick

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 18, 2017, 17:48:
Should not be a big deal.

Oh I bet we can find at least ONE tightly-wound BNer who will bring his/her pitchfork to this thread.

VISTA FOR LIFE!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2017, 15:00 Slick

Disney sponsors a gamer youtube personality. Who's the fool here?

If they expected him to change the tone of what he does, then they're sorely misinformed about the reason he's so popular.

News Comments > Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve
8. Re: Erik Wolpaw Leaves Valve Feb 18, 2017, 01:29 Slick

The writing in Portal 2 is quite possibly the best videogame writing in any game I've ever played. He will be missed.

Valve is actually pretty good at making games, they should consider that as a profession.

2460 Comments. 123 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo