Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Slick

Real Name Slick   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 4, 2012, 06:20
Total Comments 1896 (Pro)
User ID 57545

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2016, 10:11 Slick

There's a passage in that Samsung article talking about some sort of lightboost-ish tech. If they can get that working at the same time as free sync... I'd love to see an extensive blurbusters article on this when they get review units.  

Stop equating theft and software piracy. It's not the same thing and it makes you look stupid. -VaranDragon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 28, 2016, 23:24 Slick

Wow, play really impressed with Space Engine, not sure how I never heard of this.

My wife is an astrophysicist, and is very happy with this discovery. It's a great tool for generating screenshots for talk slides and public outreach materials.

GJ Blue.

Stop equating theft and software piracy. It's not the same thing and it makes you look stupid. -VaranDragon

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 28, 2016, 22:52 Slick

this is my no man's sky  

News Comments > Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns
10. Re: Ubisoft F2P Game Shutdowns Aug 28, 2016, 20:02 Slick

Task wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 13:03:
Don't invest in server-authoritative f2p games, 'specially if you can't save it to your computer and have all the goods to play once the game is shutdown, or can't make private servers.

Or enjoy what's available, live in the moment, and stop trying to control eternity.

They're free.

News Comments > The Division's Swedish Patch Mission
13. Re: The Division's Swedish Patch Mission Aug 28, 2016, 12:35 Slick

Also, I should have sent in this troll video I made in the Div with my application, oh wells.  

12. Re: The Division's Swedish Patch Mission Aug 28, 2016, 12:34 Slick

thecakeisalie wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 05:51:
Dagnamit wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 20:36:
This game is not even in the top 100 of steam games currently being played, can't even hit 1500 concurrent players. Deader than dead.

Considering the sales figures they boasted, that's bloody awful. If they dare to make a sequel and people buy it, they need their fucking heads examined.

You realise that The Division is made by Ubisoft, and released on Uplay right?

You're only counting the figures of people dumb enough to buy it on Steam because they enjoy having to launch 2x DRM platforms every time they play the game instead of 1... Not to mention giving Valve %30 of the gross (+50% of profit) for literally doing nothing more than functioning as a shortcut launcher for Uplay.

2. Re: The Division's Swedish Patch Mission Aug 27, 2016, 14:13 Slick

I applied, tried to seduce them with some sexy future house sounds I spun recently: NicholasRage.com  

News Comments > Planet Coaster Preorders
4. Re: Planet Coaster Preorders Aug 27, 2016, 00:24 Slick

That being said, they have work to do with the building editor. It's a cool feature, but felt clumsy to use. I'd like something like designing a house in the Sims, painting walls instead of building everything from premade blocks.

The terrain deformation is fucking amazing tho. Try making a park, or part of one, then just envelop it all inside a mountain. The mountain won't clip through any important parts of the park, turning it into a cave-park. so cool.

News Comments > Planet Coaster Preorders
3. Re: Planet Coaster Preorders Aug 27, 2016, 00:21 Slick

I pirated the Alpha 2 build. pre-ordered after playing it for about 20 minutes.

I was a huge Theme Park fan in the glory Bullfrog days, and this game totally captures it, with the individual AI of something like SimCity.

Although zoom in on the faces of the park patrons, they have beady little dead eyes, it's creepy.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 25, 2016, 13:14 Slick

Blue, you need to link more articles from The Register, it's a long time fav of mine. The Inquirer used to be good, but it's been shite the last 10 years or so.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2016, 14:36.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 DLC & Season Pass Details
9. Re: Battlefield 1 DLC & Season Pass Details Aug 24, 2016, 13:04 Slick

ASLayerAODsk wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:51:
Yup, buy the game twice, why does noone call a 'Season Pass' what it is, 'double dipping'. So many noobs just bending over, thinking that it's 'ok'

Remember when EA wasn't the only company that was ritually brutalized for coding expansion packs for their games?

I remember when Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal came out, I was over the moon. Nowadays just the idea that a studio is actively planning on building more content for the game after launch is akin to dickslapping the public across the face.

If your argument is that it's a shitty value, then yeah you'd have an arguable point. If your argument was that they cut some core parts out of the game to resell in a later DLC, then yeah you'd have an arguable point. But just being against the idea of post-launch expansions on principle is ridiculous.

Dungeons and Dragons were releasing expansion books back in the 70's for christ's sake. Stop acting like EA is the only one who's figured this out, and that it's universally hated to build content for a game post-launch.

How many times does this argument need to be made?

*cue EA shill overture music*

6. Re: Battlefield 1 DLC & Season Pass Details Aug 24, 2016, 12:02 Slick

speaking of which, the Beta is coming up soon, it's open to all on Aug 30th I think? Maybe the 31st. Anyways, they say that the "insiders" who signed up for the newsletter are getting in "sooner" than that, with no real revelation about what that means, probably 24 hours earlier. If anyone knows more lemme know.

*EDIT found it:

24 hours earlier, so 30th for insiders, 31st for everyone else

4. Re: Battlefield 1 DLC & Season Pass Details Aug 24, 2016, 11:17 Slick

OldDirtyEwok wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 10:15:
I don't mind paying for extra content, i usually do, but paying for maps makes me mad, it divides the player base and in most cases you end up paying for maps that nobody plays. Halo 5 is how DLC should be done.

Well, if there's a saving grace it's that the vanilla Battlefield experience is usually immune to this effect, as it attracts such a big playerbase. The problem is no one playing hte expansions 2 months after they've launched... I wish they'd go on sale at some point, but they never seem to until 1-2 years down the road.

Also, new armies is pretty cool, new vehicles too? (ie. french tanks etc) that could be interesting.

I hope they do a Canadian army pack, I'll buy the shit out of that.

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
27. Re: Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up Aug 23, 2016, 05:01 Slick

While that is generally true in this case every core feature of both the Rift and Vive HMDs are directly derived from Valve’s research program. Oculus has their own CV-based tracking implementation and frensel lens design but the CV1 is otherwise a direct copy of the architecture of the 1080p Steam Sight prototype Valve lent Oculus when we installed a copy of the “Valve Room” at their headquarters. I would call Oculus the first SteamVR licensee, but history will likely record a somewhat different term for it…

This is the story i was referring to earlier

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
9. Re: Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up Aug 22, 2016, 21:00 Slick

I'll wait for the book, or the movie adaptation of the book, or the videogame adaptation of the movie to properly tell this story.

I thought that the general consensus is that Oculus was chasing valve's tech, who have been working on it for just as long/longer than Luckey.

Too lazy to look it up, but there's a story about how Luckey and friends were cordially invited to invade the Valve head office, so they could swap ideas on the future of VR with Gabe. There's a picture of Gabe, Luckey, and 2 other senior VR programmers, both of whom were presumably offered a dumptruck full of money because they work at Oculus now. Strangely, only a couple weeks after FB bought them out.

And then there's all the evidence that Oculus basically emulated the final form factor of what Valve was doing.

And trust me, I'm the biggest Valve skeptic on the planet. I think they're a genuinely shitty company in many respects, but with VR, they fucking did their homework and hit it out of the park. So anything to see Zuckerberg squirm gives me a little tuggle in my sweatpants.

News Comments > F1 2016 Released
6. Re: F1 2016 Released Aug 21, 2016, 08:00 Slick

Worse yet, when the developers actually asked for features, all of reddit seems to only want Vulkan, pushing any requests for Vive support down to the bottom.

It's ridiculous, the Codemasters engine doesn't need Vulkan, it's not exactly demanding. But Vulkan is apparently the flavor of the month.

I mean Codemasters needs a NEW engine, as they've been rehashing the same one for the last 4-5 games now. They never made the jump to "next gen" with the new console gen. So why anyone would want Vulkan for a 10 year old engine is beyond me.

News Comments > F1 2016 Released
5. Re: F1 2016 Released Aug 21, 2016, 07:01 Slick

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 12:06:
Slick wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 00:41:
Been scouring the forums for the last couple months to see if this was going to get VR support, specifically vive support...

I think that the guys who did Dirt Rally might be an offshoot of the normal codemasters team? or something? cause no other game from them has even mentioned VR.

Still waiting on the native vive support on Rally too...

I am pretty sure they'd rather sell you the VR version extra If it ever happens. But yeah, Rally seems like the "BIG" thing for VR, driving those stages with VR ought to be something of a crazy ride...

Well they've already released a patch which brings full native VR support for Oculus in Rally, no extra fee. Just waiting for the same treatment for the Vive. The fact that they aren't answering any questions concerning this exclusivity is concerning.

News Comments > Prey 2 Video
18. Re: Prey 2 Video Aug 20, 2016, 18:25 Slick

Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 14:33:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 20:45:
Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 19:47:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 19:28:
Not buying this simply for the lame abuse of the franchise. No Tommy, no Indians, no aliens, no gravity shifting = no Prey = no buy.

Why not take it as it is and judge it on its own merits?
If it's a great game and you refuse to play it because it has the same name, but isn't directly following, a mostly mediocre game, who are you hurting?
Couldn't that be said of the publisher? Name your game something new, let it stand on it's own...

Sure, but I'm not a publisher, I'm a gamer. I can only control my own decisions, and I find it so weird that someone in my place would go "hey, that game that pretty much no one remembers is so sacred I'd ignore another game, regardless of quality, because it has the same name!"

I dunno. I still think it's part of getting old and having little time, but I see people on the internet always arguing over such meaningless things. Minor changes in movies, either plot or casting, from source material. Games using same names. Etc. Reminds me of being a teenager and refusing to listen to a band because they called themselves metal but clearly weren't up to my standards of what was and was not metal.

At some point, judging things outside of their individual merits starts looking pointless. You get hung up on such weird details and miss actual good, entertaining media.

*slow clap*

too long to fit into my signature, but know that it'll live there in spirit. try again @ 144 chars or less ^_^

I told a friend earlier today that FFXIII-2 is actually a good game (currently replaying it), not FFXII good, but better than FFX. He just dismissed anything I said with "I'm done with FF games, they've ruined them." And that was the end of that conversation.

Reminds me of the whole Battlefront nonsense where people couldn't live with the fact that a new studio resurrected a dead IP and did their own thing with it. "But it's not a battlefront game". So I guess every game serves as a mandatory precedent for all others in the series to follow. The first sets the rules, and then no sequel can ever stray without being lashed out at by the "community".

You know what Series follows that logic? Call of Duty. How's that been working out? Everyone thrilled at zero creative energy put into their yearly releases? oh right, it's that other thing...

Make up your minds.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
27. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 20, 2016, 18:07 Slick

someone should teach this fool how build numbers are supposed to work.

*hint*, if the game isn't released yet, it's not 1.0 yet.

Pop quiz hotshot! A game that's not yet playable from beginning to end would qualify as what?

a) version 2.5 of a product
b) version 1.0 of a product (gone gold)
c) beta
d) alpha
e) pre-alpha

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2016, 14:16 Slick

I think that the batman cartoons have always been some of the highest quality comic adaptations, going back to the 90's series (can't remember the exact series name) #MARKHAMILLISMYJOKER  

1896 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo