Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin Andrew Stich

Real Name Kevin Andrew Stich   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Steazy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I'm supa old school, but BluesNews doesn't recognize my attbi.com as a valid ISP anymore
Homepage http://www.wikidtab.com
Signed On Jul 19, 2012, 15:24
Total Comments 37 (Suspect)
User ID 57499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Trials on Tatooine Released
1. Re: Trials on Tatooine Released Jul 18, 2016, 18:39 Steazy

Meh :/

Interactions were really basic and honestly pretty boring, lightsaber FX were awesome though trying to bounce lasers back at storm troopers who are 1 pixel tall wasn't super fun. Only having one hand was just... weird.

The intro scroll was longer than the actual demo, combined the whole experience was shorter than the download, so maybe I'm a bit salty

Looked pretty mediocre on an admittedly pathetic 980ti instead of the very reasonably recommended Titan X. Hard to tell where all the rendering power was going because it looked like an early gen XBox360 title IMHO. Frame rate was pretty weak too, my i7+980ti is probably only suited for low quality but I cheated and ran it at medium anyways. Maybe high/ultra looks amazing but I don't feel inclined to sit through a glorified cut-scene again.

Spoiled rotten by Raw Data I guess... actual game play (even the bizarre FTP-esque gameplay in RD) w/ hand controls is just too damned fun.

To be fair ILM doesn't seem to be marketing this as anything more than it is, a well done tech demo w/ Star Wars IP.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Cunning Stunts Released; Stunt Editor Coming
1. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Cunning Stunts Released; Stunt Editor Coming Jul 12, 2016, 20:05 Steazy

What's the difference between this update and the GTA Online player base?

One is a cunning array of stunts.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
2. Re: Saturday Patches Jun 18, 2016, 17:06 Steazy

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 13:02:
DayZ and stable have no business being mentioned together in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence unless in the sense that when you uninstall it it no longer fucks up.

I was going to make the same quip, so true!

News Comments > Oculus Touch Titles Revealed; Controllers Still MIA
2. Re: Oculus Touch Titles Revealed; Controllers Still MIA Jun 14, 2016, 14:28 Steazy

I think some of the games sound cool, would definitely play SuperHot w/ Touch controllers.

That said, I feel zero excitement without knowing when/how much the touch controllers will go for.

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
14. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 14:48 Steazy

That demo looks nice and all but -
A) I can't run it on my local machine, doesn't seem that real time to me. I'll believe it when I see it.
B) It took a fairly large team to put that together, and it's entirely non-interactive. Trying to make a game that looked like that in Unity would be horrible.

8. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 11:46 Steazy

Well by the third remake these guys do they'll probably move to a truly modern engine...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/410710/

7. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 11:39 Steazy

Would be much more excited if it was using something other than Unity :/  

News Comments > DOOM PC Support Details
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 23, 2016, 01:29 Steazy

Halo doesn't have bunny hopping so it's apples/oranges here. In doom you're slow if you stay on the ground but if you keep airborne you gain speed quickly. Ala Quake, so definitely still not doomy but Halo is a lazy comparison. Halo is only fast with vehicles, the armor is from Crysis more than Halo (look at where the people who worked on the game after Carmack left). Halo on foot is slower than CoD - which is a better comparison for slamming doom :-)  

News Comments > Battlezone 98 Redux Released
4. Re: Battlezone 98 Redux Released Apr 19, 2016, 01:44 Steazy

I thought the same thing but then I dug up some actual screen shots...

Original

and the new one -> http://store.steampowered.com/app/301650/

Also remembering now... this game didn't support 3D acceleration when it launched, was added in a patch well after the fact.

So... it does look a lot better! But yeah, not quite modern. Honestly, I'm still tempted to pick this up. With they'd added VR support (I know that's a different project...) but maybe that'll come in a patch

Edit: Hyperlinks are the hottest trend of '98!

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
5. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 00:09 Steazy

I feel like it's in a tough spot for steam reviews.

Either people are bashing it for being too different from the original DOOM, or bashing it for not being different enough.

It really feels like a Quake game, with a more hellish aesthetic.

Honestly I don't believe most of those people ever played the old ID games much, definitely not Quake. Yes, they changed some things. Yes, there are loadouts, that's kind of lame - not very quake-ish... but it's almost exactly Rocket Arena which most people played over vanilla Q2 anyways.

The game is fast paced if you remember to bunny hop
Most weapons are very difficult to use with an extremely high skill cap, and generally require precise aiming. No auto aim, takes some serious damage to kill someone - I don't understand the CoD comparisons if you have actually finished a match.

The weapon customization system is pretty cool.

Biggest complaint I have is that rocket jumping doesn't seem to work at all, so maybe it is Doom after all

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch
23. Re: EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch Mar 29, 2016, 18:11 Steazy

Wow, I made a smarmy comment and you replied w/ and intelligent response.

What's happening to blues? Must be because this is yesterdays news

I'll throw in GLQuake as the killer app that sold many people on 3D acceleration.

EVE: Valkyrie is pretty goddamn awesome in VR. I would agree that it's a stretch to call it a "killer-app". I think the trouble for Oculus (and Valve, and everyone else). Is that no one really knows what the most compelling experiences in VR are/will be. Everything so far is just an evolution of an existing genre, but since (IMHO) VR is a more revolutionary platform it will almost certainly require a new genre to constitute a "killer-app". Current games are different in VR, not necessarily better.

Cockpit games are an exception, those are definitely better in VR - they're perfectly suited to the current constraints of the technology (player can't move around very much). It's fair to say though that if someone isn't in to cockpit games now, they're unlikely to get into them because of VR. FPS games like CoD... 'eh, not really that good in VR at the moment, because you *want* to be running around, but you can't, and that's a disappointing experience. Same w/ sports, RPG, and almost any other popular genre.

Myst, FF7, and Halo were all evolutions of previously successful concepts. So consumers could say "Hey, I like (Adventure/RPG/FPS) games, this new one is the better than all the others I've played so I'll buy this new fangled hardware"

I strongly agree that the touch controllers will be the key to a real killer app, because this new controller necessitates a completely new control scheme, which in turn enables/requires new genres (see: job simulator). Using existing controllers (xbox pad, kb+m) skews game designs towards the more "classic" game designs (ie: designs that are good on 2D displays, ex. FPS), but those "classic" designs aren't usually very good in VR - which makes sense - because they were created for traditional displays (over many decades)

I'll throw into that... it's very hard to developers to get their hands on these new touch controllers, and they can't really even begin to create these new games until they have them because the paradigms are so much different it's impossible to know what will work (ie: be fun) unless you can actually try it yourself (catch-22).

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch
18. Re: EVE: Valkyrie and Gunjack for Oculus Rift Launch Mar 29, 2016, 14:37 Steazy

Yes, and thank god Sony delayed the PlayerStation until FF7 was ready, and the CDROM drive wasn't available until Myst shipped... and Microsoft delayed the XBox to wait for Halo... oh shit, that last one did happen

Bad at this sarcasm thing.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Free Week and Free Content
4. Re: PAYDAY 2 Free Week and Free Content Mar 25, 2016, 15:49 Steazy

I played a shitload of this game when it first released... concept was novel and the goal (for me at least) was always to get in/out before the cops getting called which was challenging and almost done well. The gritty realism was engaging...

But damn, watching this trailer, what the hell is going on in this franchise? Super powered villains, people shooting themselves in the head and then walking through the door 5 seconds later? What?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 23, 2016, 20:00 Steazy

Yea, as far as I see it Apple and the FBI both lost. And the People(TM) got what they wanted (terrorists phone data acquired, privacy protected... sort of).

FBI wanted to set a precedent to allow them to strong-arm tech companies forever. Now that an alternate means of accessing the data has been provided, they have no legal grounds to continue their case.

Apple wanted to prove that their software was so secure that they were the only ones who could open it up, and by refusing the FBIs request would then prove to their customers that no one could ever access their data. Now that this Israeli firm hacked in, well, obviously it's not unhackable.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 17, 2016, 14:01 Steazy

Seems like no one actually read Tim's comments before replying  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
22. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 19:42 Steazy

I haven't seen any argument that isn't analogous to saying "Anyone who buys a car is an idiot. Motorcycles are much faster and way cheaper! There are no situations where a car is ever better because it's not as fast and is more expensive. This argument is bulletproof because I can quote it as evidence of itself."

Hence, trolling, or stupidity, sorry I gave anyone the benefit of the doubt

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 19:00:
I fail to see a huge churn in the PC market because of it, though it's entirely possible, and perhaps even likely, that Razer sees this as a niche product.

All (most) trolling aside... When was the last Razer product that *wasn't* ultra-niche ? I would bet that even if every gamer who ever bought any Razer product (even a mouse-pad) bought one of these, that still wouldn't constitute a huge churn in the PC market.

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 19:24 Steazy

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 19:00:
Here's a hint: People not having the same opinion as you is not trolling.

Says person making smarmy response to one sentence out of context.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 18:35 Steazy

Wow the trolling in this thread... I for one am stoked on this product and it solves a few very real problems.

"so you enjoy gaming on a 15" screen? fuck that"
Only if you don't have a monitor to plug your laptop into.

"The CPU will still be heavily limited by the terrible heat dissipation problems that most laptops have, and you will still have an expensive solution that's not really a solution."
True, as long as CPUs produce more heat than GPUs. </sarcasm>

"For the same price you can get a dirt cheap laptop good for everything you're likely to be doing on the go, and also get a regular gaming PC. A Mini-ITX build is you're concerned about space."
True, as long as you only play cloud synced games, don't do any work on your computer, never pay for software licenses, and enjoy keeping two machines patched and up to date.

"But when you're marketing to the core gamer, you're marketing to a different set of people who value performance and usability over something as nebulous as "feeling dated."
True, as long your use cases don't included having friends you want to play games with in person.

"It seems like a solution in search of a problem to me, unless they planned to market it solely to the ultra-niche "Hardcore Gamers Who Wants Laptops" demographic"
If you look at their pricing you'll see they're marketed towards the "people who want nice laptops" with an extra feature appealing towards "Hardcore Gamers Who Wants Laptops"

Sorry if I seem vindictive but WOW, some people are truly blind to the fact that other people are different than them :/

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
31. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 15:06 Steazy

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if 12 million voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.  

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
1. Re: Battlefield Gothic: Armada Trailer Dec 16, 2015, 16:27 Steazy

Battlefleet Gothic?

Got my hopes up that DICE may be releasing medieval game

37 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo