Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kevin Andrew Stich

Real Name Kevin Andrew Stich   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Steazy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I'm supa old school, but BluesNews doesn't recognize my attbi.com as a valid ISP anymore
Homepage http://www.wikidtab.com
Signed On Jul 19, 2012, 15:24
Total Comments 49 (Suspect)
User ID 57499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 16:50 Steazy

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 13:31:
That is a good laptop indeed, but it ain't VR ready with a 1060

My thought as well. VR Ready is already a nonsense buzzword and VR isn't even close to mainstream yet :X

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege PC Starter Edition Returns
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege PC Starter Edition Returns Sep 15, 2016, 20:45 Steazy

More like "Rainbow Six" and "Rogue Spear" I'd think.

Do the new ones have the planning phase where you draw on the map and set stack-points and configure call signs for breaching etc? That shit was awesome.

News Comments > Steam VAC Ban Surge
3. Re: Steam VAC Ban Surge Sep 15, 2016, 20:43 Steazy

Seriously, I was discussing this with some friends the other day around the question "how do you keep online MP games fun?"

Teams get unbalanced, people spawn camp, people cheat, people grief or just general ass-hattery. None of these automated systems can detect 100% of cases, they probably never will be able to.

"How did we do it back in the day? I played hundreds, maybe thousands, of rounds of CS1.6 and only a tiny fraction of them were ruined by bad players."

Oh yea... admins and dedicated servers with dedicated player bases.

News Comments > Interplay IPs for Sale
33. Re: Interplay IPs for Sale Sep 8, 2016, 17:19 Steazy

I used to work with a guy who helped on Diaspora - seemed like they were (are?) extremely meticulous getting all the details right. Embarrassed to say I haven't played it yet though :X Something lacking from many modern space games as mentioned previously.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 6, 2016, 16:47 Steazy

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 14:25:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 13:50:
Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2016, 11:58:
The only way we see price reductions in VR tech is if there's a viable challenger on the mid/low end. A rift with room-scale tracking and motion controls will end up being about the same price as a VIVE, $800. Both Oculus and Valve/HTC have been on record that new gear won't be arriving until, at least late 2017 and probably 2018, and they really have no reason to reduce price until a 3rd competitor appears. The limiting factor is the computer needed, not the headset.

Sony? Morpheus? PSVR? GearVR (low end)? StarVR? OSVR? (Ok just kidding OSVR is a joke, StarVR is basically a joke too).

News Comments > Carnival Games VR Announced
4. Re: Carnival Games VR Announced Aug 31, 2016, 20:23 Steazy

Disappointed once I realized this wasn't the Brazilian Carnival...  

News Comments > NVIDIA's Fallout 4 Mod
3. Re: NVIDIA's Fallout 4 Mod Aug 31, 2016, 20:06 Steazy

Finally the Doom3 remake we've all been waiting for! Kids these days have no idea what it's like to stumble around in a dark underground base, can't wait for the no-flashlight mod.  

News Comments > Quarterback SNAP Kicks Off
1. Re: Quarterback SNAP Kicks Off Aug 26, 2016, 22:49 Steazy

For everyone who owns a Vive but prefers playing football to video games...  

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
10. Re: Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up Aug 22, 2016, 21:44 Steazy

"Luckey lacked the training, expertise, resources, or know-how to create commercially viable VR technology, his computer programming skills were rudimentary..."

Have to admit this is something I have wondered about from time to time... though probably just because I'm jealous that I didn't invent VR in my parent's garage. Should have never moved out!

Though I think it's fair to say that the KS campaign was the effort to overcome those limitations, but that KS would have never gotten the wings it did without Carmack's work and endorsement. I also recall that Carmack was working on building headsets before meeting up with Palmer... maybe offered him some advice since Carmack is a pretty open and sharing individual. If ZeniMax paid for that research though...

I don't know shit about law but it does seem like a grey area.

News Comments > Prey 2 Video
4. Re: Prey 2 Video Aug 19, 2016, 19:33 Steazy

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 19:23:
Wow I was right, it is Bioshock in space.

Some horrible shadows and jaggies in that video.

I believe they used to call that System Shock.

News Comments > The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible
23. Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 17:29 Steazy

I recently replayed the Co-Op (Wasteland Legends) missions in Rage with a friend.

Was generally good fun, my nostalgia/iD fanboy glasses were definitely strong on that one though.

Highly recommend co-op, gameplay is more traditional ID fare (spawn in, shoot guys, beat level, done) and the invisible walls are less annoying. Though there are no vehicles, which I thought were pretty cool.

Weapons felt awesome, was tons of fun to shot stuff even though the enemies on harder difficulties are ridiculously bullet spongey (they do, however, actually react to getting shot which makes them feel less sponge-like than they are).

Lots of dynamic objects popping in just a tad too late (generally enemies). World textures are SOOOO blurry, and the "texture detail" option they added is comically bad (though I did use it...).

World also feels pretty dead, probably because of the near complete lack of destructible environment pieces, or dynamic physics props (seriously, the beer bottles don't even break, or knock over, just totally static :X) which I can write off I guess for it being a 360 era game.

Performance is great and everything is super responsive which is more than I can say for any Unity or most Unreal engine games these days. The lighting is pretty good for the time as well, it does a good job blending static/dynamic objects in both indoor and outdoor settings (though famously there are no transitions *between* indoor and outdoor settings). Of course there are barely any dynamic objects...

Everyone likes to rag on Megatexture for all RAGE's ills but I appreciate that everything is textured uniquely. It's not megatexture's fault that no one was disciplined enough to get the texture sizes under control and they had to 1/100th res everything right before launch to fit on disk. That said the install through Steam right now was ~40GB and the textures are still crazy blurry... probably needs about 320GB I'd guess to get reasonably sharp which is absolutely absurd. Could have had a *few* repeated textures in hindsight

News Comments > Trials on Tatooine Released
1. Re: Trials on Tatooine Released Jul 18, 2016, 18:39 Steazy

Meh :/

Interactions were really basic and honestly pretty boring, lightsaber FX were awesome though trying to bounce lasers back at storm troopers who are 1 pixel tall wasn't super fun. Only having one hand was just... weird.

The intro scroll was longer than the actual demo, combined the whole experience was shorter than the download, so maybe I'm a bit salty

Looked pretty mediocre on an admittedly pathetic 980ti instead of the very reasonably recommended Titan X. Hard to tell where all the rendering power was going because it looked like an early gen XBox360 title IMHO. Frame rate was pretty weak too, my i7+980ti is probably only suited for low quality but I cheated and ran it at medium anyways. Maybe high/ultra looks amazing but I don't feel inclined to sit through a glorified cut-scene again.

Spoiled rotten by Raw Data I guess... actual game play (even the bizarre FTP-esque gameplay in RD) w/ hand controls is just too damned fun.

To be fair ILM doesn't seem to be marketing this as anything more than it is, a well done tech demo w/ Star Wars IP.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Cunning Stunts Released; Stunt Editor Coming
1. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Cunning Stunts Released; Stunt Editor Coming Jul 12, 2016, 20:05 Steazy

What's the difference between this update and the GTA Online player base?

One is a cunning array of stunts.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
2. Re: Saturday Patches Jun 18, 2016, 17:06 Steazy

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 13:02:
DayZ and stable have no business being mentioned together in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence unless in the sense that when you uninstall it it no longer fucks up.

I was going to make the same quip, so true!

News Comments > Oculus Touch Titles Revealed; Controllers Still MIA
2. Re: Oculus Touch Titles Revealed; Controllers Still MIA Jun 14, 2016, 14:28 Steazy

I think some of the games sound cool, would definitely play SuperHot w/ Touch controllers.

That said, I feel zero excitement without knowing when/how much the touch controllers will go for.

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
14. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 14:48 Steazy

That demo looks nice and all but -
A) I can't run it on my local machine, doesn't seem that real time to me. I'll believe it when I see it.
B) It took a fairly large team to put that together, and it's entirely non-interactive. Trying to make a game that looked like that in Unity would be horrible.

8. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 11:46 Steazy

Well by the third remake these guys do they'll probably move to a truly modern engine...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/410710/

7. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 11:39 Steazy

Would be much more excited if it was using something other than Unity :/  

News Comments > DOOM PC Support Details
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 23, 2016, 01:29 Steazy

Halo doesn't have bunny hopping so it's apples/oranges here. In doom you're slow if you stay on the ground but if you keep airborne you gain speed quickly. Ala Quake, so definitely still not doomy but Halo is a lazy comparison. Halo is only fast with vehicles, the armor is from Crysis more than Halo (look at where the people who worked on the game after Carmack left). Halo on foot is slower than CoD - which is a better comparison for slamming doom :-)  

49 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo