Limit Results:

696 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    35  ] Older

Re: etc.
Aug 14, 2018, 21:52
Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 21:52
Aug 14, 2018, 21:52

Prez wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 12:18:
Again I have to ask, who cares? Either the groups are just set up as troll fodder, which means people who get their panties in a twist over it are giving them their desired outcome, or they are genuinely gross people who believe in bigotry and hatred, in which case they are are conveniently lumped together in their little groups for easy identification by normal people. I just don't see the problem. Why does everyone need the thought police to keep them safe? I know, I know, privileged white guy, so my opinion doesn't matter. Rolleyes

"Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere might be happy." -- H. L. Mencken

Once upon a time the authoritarians among us were satisfied with telling us what we could and couldn't do. The new authoritarians are now unsatisfied with anything less than dictating what you can or cannot think...

Re: etc.
Aug 14, 2018, 21:49
Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 21:49
Aug 14, 2018, 21:49

Squirmer wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 18:23:
It matters because if hate groups are allowed to exist, they recruit more people. No one's born bigoted and hateful, they learn it and they get taken in. It happened to basically an entire country not that long ago...

Wrong. Modern science says the opposite. While tabula rasa was a marvelous 18th century fantasy, it is contradicted by everything cognitive studies have shown in the late 20th and early 21st century. Babies are evolutionarily predisposed to categorize into ingroups and outgroups from a very young age. Racial harmony is a product of culture, not humanity reverting to it's natural inclinations. People are born hateful and bigoted; they must be taught tolerance.

The most amusing part of this is that the whole "tolerance" movement today is nothing more than an attempt to form an acceptable outgroup. The exhortations of "punch a nazi" (with "nazi" defined as anyone who disagrees with me) is nothing more than an attempt to signal ingroup membership in a certain culture with an associated attempt to polarize opponents as an outgroup. Those who mouth "tolerance" the most are actively engaged in creating the least amount of tolerance possible. And yet they pat themselves on the back for being so virtuously members of their self-created ingroup.

The more humans attempt to transcend their nature, the more they plunge to its depths...

Re: Morning Metaverse
Aug 13, 2018, 14:11
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 13, 2018, 14:11
Aug 13, 2018, 14:11

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 12:52:
Admittedly I really don't like superhero movies all that much, but I do watch all the Marvel ones now as they are super good. I could care less about anything DC, really. But, why is there such a backlash over this woman? She was good in the XXX movie and John Wick. She's good looking. Was Batwoman a different skin color or something? I mean, wtf?

Edit, read story. So...she comes off as gay, turns out she is gay, and she's...NOT GAY ENOUGH?

PC culture, man. Just, fuck it.

What? I thought the whole point of "acting" was the ability to portray someone you are not. Now, in order to act, you have to be exactly like the person you are portraying?

Twitter may be the greatest collection of stupid the world has ever seen...

Re: Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale
Aug 11, 2018, 13:28
Re: Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale Aug 11, 2018, 13:28
Aug 11, 2018, 13:28

Rhett wrote on Aug 11, 2018, 13:15:
Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous.

They're trying to "stretch" the law (or at least USSC precedent) with a creative interpretation. And they're banking on the fact that most resellers are so small that they aren't willing to litigate the question. It's the epitome of sleazy...

Re: Rocket League Language Ban Stats
Aug 9, 2018, 10:38
Re: Rocket League Language Ban Stats Aug 9, 2018, 10:38
Aug 9, 2018, 10:38

Redmask wrote on Aug 9, 2018, 08:09:
Best $10 I ever spent on Steam, fantastic game.
Agreed. Simple concept with excellent execution and more variability than the concept would suggest.

As per the article though, if you have to ban 520,000 accounts, does this really prove you are beating "toxicity"?

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Aug 8, 2018, 18:50
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2018, 18:50
Aug 8, 2018, 18:50

NKD wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 11:16:
I don't really recall seeing any alt-right propaganda on The Escapist? And you all know how much I love to bitch about the alt-reich.

I expect they'll settle to just save time and effort, but you never know. If they push it their comments probably won't meet the standard of libel. It's very hard to make a libel case in the United States.

True. there needs to be provable damages for legal action to be effective. But there needs to be some accountability for all of today's name-calling. Calling someone a member of the KKK could cost the person jobs and business opportunities. So they'd damn well better be a member if you're going to accuse them. The term "alt-right" has garnered the same pejorative power among today's ctrl-left and has been used to attack people's jobs and livelihood. If that person is not a "member" of this amorphous group, then the name-caller should be held accountable. And considering that "alt-right" generally means "someone I disagree with for not being as regressively left wing as I am," it seems like that would be a hard membership to prove.

Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations
Aug 8, 2018, 18:29
Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 8, 2018, 18:29
Aug 8, 2018, 18:29

Beamer wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 17:40:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 8, 2018, 10:25:
Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 23:14:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 21:45:
The Nintendo gaming EDITOR for IGN plagiarizes a review? Not some newbie trying to make his name, but the freaking editor?

Thank goodness there's no issue with ethics in games journalism...

If only this were the type of thing you people focused on, instead of "objective reviews."

In any case, it's clearly a bad actor. Every industry on the planet has them. And the review is down, promptly. Looks like the institutions are doing the right thing. For all your bluster, shit like this happens less than once a year and seems to be handled properly.

A) He was allowed to edit his own work. No other eyes saw it before it got up on the website. This is a systemic problem as well as a personal one.

B) The last three Nintendo editors for IGN have all gone on to work at Nintendo afterward. When an EPA staffer goes on to work at Exxon after he leaves, people tend to doubt the efficacy of his time at the EPA (and rightly so). But the ethics of this happening in gaming journalism is unquestionable, right?

What's wrong with Nintendo journalists going to Nintendo? Again, this happens in every damn industry. Hell, the President of my company, which is publicly traded, started out a journalist covering this industry, and we're not even an enthusiast industry.

Nintendo wants people who know the industry well, know how to communicate, know the company well, and have spent a lot of time evaluating it and thinking about how to improve it. Where do you think those people come from?

Jesus, it's all conspiracy with you people. You have no clue how the world works and only pay attention to video games, so you see things that happen EVERYWHERE and assume it's people out to ruin your video games.

You ignored point A (of course, since you know it's poor journalist practices).

Your hyperbole about conspiracies (which no one mentioned here) does not deflect from the fact that IGN has proven to be a conduit to Nintendo. Would this be the case if the editor was overly critical? If you can't see the incentives, then you are a fool (but I know in your case it's willful ignorance. And you can't spell ignorance without IGN).

Aug 8, 2018, 10:25
Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 8, 2018, 10:25
Aug 8, 2018, 10:25

Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 23:14:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 7, 2018, 21:45:
The Nintendo gaming EDITOR for IGN plagiarizes a review? Not some newbie trying to make his name, but the freaking editor?

If only this were the type of thing you people focused on, instead of "objective reviews."

In any case, it's clearly a bad actor. Every industry on the planet has them. And the review is down, promptly. Looks like the institutions are doing the right thing. For all your bluster, shit like this happens less than once a year and seems to be handled properly.

A) He was allowed to edit his own work. No other eyes saw it before it got up on the website. This is a systemic problem as well as a personal one.

B) The last three Nintendo editors for IGN have all gone on to work at Nintendo afterward. When an EPA staffer goes on to work at Exxon after he leaves, people tend to doubt the efficacy of his time at the EPA (and rightly so). But the ethics of this happening in gaming journalism is unquestionable, right?

Aug 7, 2018, 21:45
Re: IGN Pulls Review Amid Plagiarism Accusations Aug 7, 2018, 21:45
Aug 7, 2018, 21:45

Re: Morning Metaverse
Aug 6, 2018, 15:47
Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 6, 2018, 15:47
Aug 6, 2018, 15:47

Ehhh, I'd comment on the fact that, once you let near-monopoly corporations decide what can and can't be said, you may very well discover yourself among the silenced.

The sort of people who you have to defend to support free speech are seldom anything but sleazy and disgusting (see ACLU's support of the KKK's right to march... except even the ACLU is walking their support for free speech back). But if you needed a saint as defendant to make your cause just, you wouldn't have Miranda rights, for one thing.

And before some buffoon comes along with an XKCD comic or an "it's naht the gub'mint!" response, imagine if your local cable/ISP companies got together and decided that they weren't going to provide service for anyone who voted for X or once said Y in an email or so on. The same people who were all cheering Obama for increasing the power of the executive branch through executive orders are now losing their shit over Trump using the same power. Once you legitimize a tactic, you legitimize it for your enemies, too (how's the "nuclear option" on judicial confirmations working out for ya', Senate Dems?).

But, then again, looking at the quality of "speech" from the regulars on here that support this move, if they were to be affected by censorship, nothing of value would be lost. I guess every cloud has its silver lining...

Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
Aug 4, 2018, 11:45
Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 4, 2018, 11:45
Aug 4, 2018, 11:45

jdreyer wrote on Aug 4, 2018, 04:49:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 13:55:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 13:50:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 12:18:
The fact that they took 50 people at a station, put them in various ships, some holding like 20 and flew them to another planet for Battlefield-like combat, all without loading screens is crazy impressive technically, regardless of the latency.
But who wants to wait X minutes riding on a ship before the action even starts?
Absolutely no one. Might as well be a dentist waiting room a truck driving or railroad simulator.
jdreyer wrote on Aug 3, 2018, 13:48:
Do I sense another 100 comment Star Citizen thread in the making?
Nah, The 2 minute clip is such a joke I doubt it hits 50.

Under 50 so far, so you look to be right.

Had to post in order to get this to 50, just to keep RedEye's streak of never being right alive...

Re: Morning Interviews
Jul 10, 2018, 17:31
Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 17:31
Jul 10, 2018, 17:31

loomy wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 15:18:
> “Male game devs deal with it too. Gamers don’t seem to believe expertise exists. But it’s not the constant deluge it is for women. Which was the point of the tweets that Peter made that got him fired: He was saying, ‘Hey, this is about gender, because I’m out here talking about the same stuff she’s talking about, and this doesn’t happen to me.’”

this is 100% true, and most girls just roll over and take it

each side doesn't know what the other side is getting. I will go a week without anyone asking me to play a multiplayer game. ask a female friend how long she goes. ask her how many stalkers she's had compared to you

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/part-1-experiencing-online-harassment/

Men face more harassment online than women; men face different kinds of harassment online than women. This is consistent across many different surveys like the one linked above. Men are more likely to be verbally harassed or get death threats. Women are more likely to get stalked or sexually harassed.

I have seen people react to this information by claiming that the kinds of harassment women face is somehow "worse" that what males get, but that is highly opinion-based (is a rape threat worse than a death threat? Less so?). Either way, the idea that the internet is some gender-based minefield exists more in the minds of the folks who want to see it that way. In reality, the internet is mostly just toxic towards everyone...

Re: Op Ed
Jul 9, 2018, 20:24
Re: Op Ed Jul 9, 2018, 20:24
Jul 9, 2018, 20:24

Someone bring the fainting couch! Brendan is about to collapse from the sheer horror of a woman (gasp) being held to the same standard as a man would be...

Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
Jul 6, 2018, 17:29
Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 17:29
Jul 6, 2018, 17:29

loomy wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 17:01:
> What other choice does ArenaNet have here?

the company can do whatever it wants. the question to grapple with is why thousands of people brigaded to get two people fired. was it really because they were fighting for the justice of men who are abused on twitter?

Who brigaded to get her fired at Paizo?

Why is so important to you that she be in the right here (even when she obviously isn't)? Rather than worry about the motivation of internet anons, why don't you take a moment to contemplate your own...?

Re: Into the Black
Jun 21, 2018, 21:19
Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2018, 21:19
Jun 21, 2018, 21:19

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 17:44:
They're not reasonable for Star Wars, though.

The box office sales or the budget numbers? I agree that the box office sales are well below expectation for a Star Wars movie. However, what I had intended to communicate with my imprecise phrasing was that the budget numbers I quoted may not be 100% accurate, but at the least are reasonable estimates that imply that Solo is indeed on track to lose hundreds of millions of dollars for Disney. A loss in the hundreds of millions is, as you note, not a reasonable outcome for a Star Wars film.

You are also forgetting the price Disney paid for Lucasfilm and Star Wars. At this point Disney would have made more on the interest on the $4+ billion they spent. The merchandise sales for Star Wars are at an all-time low (even less than when there were no movies being made). Disney bought the golden goose, then hired a butcher to keep it healthy...

Re: Op Ed
Jun 1, 2018, 17:21
Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2018, 17:21
Jun 1, 2018, 17:21

Good luck getting an answer. The reason that you won't get one is that the same people attacking your question can see the penumbra of cognitive dissonance around the possible answers, so they don't want to go down that road. They don't want to say, "Some ideas should not be expressed or should be forcibly suppressed" because we all know where that argument leads.

The reality here is that expression and offense operate on a sliding continuum. As one increases, so does the potential for the other. Valve took the easy out here (and I don't blame them), because they don't want to be the arbiter of ideas, both for practical and philosophical reasons. Once you admit that some ideas should be suppressed, the next question (which these folks can't answer without piercing their veil of pretend support for freedom of expression) becomes Quis custodiet ipsos custodes...?

Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle?
May 28, 2018, 13:01
Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 28, 2018, 13:01
May 28, 2018, 13:01

There's some kind of money laundering going on here. That's the only rational explanation for this. Otherwise our society has gotten so decadent that there is no recovery. God will owe Sodom and Gomorrah an apology if we don't come crashing down soon...

Re: Star Control Origins Trailer
Apr 5, 2018, 12:47
Re: Star Control Origins Trailer Apr 5, 2018, 12:47
Apr 5, 2018, 12:47

I loved Star Control 1&2 when they first came out, but a sequel really didn't inspire much enthusiasm in me. After this trailer, I'm much more likely to buy. It looks pretty good so far...

Re: Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity
Apr 4, 2018, 20:38
Re: Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity Apr 4, 2018, 20:38
Apr 4, 2018, 20:38

Nothing is more horrifying, while employing the finest tactical methods to slaughter the enemy and grind them to dust, than hearing someone use vulgarity in chat. I've missed headshots because I was so shaken by the words I heard used that I just can't even. I want to kill and maim on my video game without hearing anything shocking or offensive!

Re: Saturday Metaverse
Apr 1, 2018, 12:19
Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 1, 2018, 12:19
Apr 1, 2018, 12:19

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 11:25:
Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 11:13:
When an enemy does something right, they still find a way to attack that enemy
The GOP platform.
LOL. Thanks for the example.

You know, evolutionary biologists have presented pretty compelling evidence that the religious impulse is hardwired into the human brain. Human beings are mechanically inclined to seek membership in a larger group and to form in-group/out-group mental schema. It, therefore, shouldn't be surprising in this day and age (where organized religion is in decline in the West) that people would develop a religious commitment to other groups around them, be they physical, political, or ideological groups.

But it's still shocking to hear the religious phrasing of political commentary. The GOP attacks the things that are "right"? You mean morally "right"? Like they are evil and intentionally seeking out evil. You honestly think 40+% of the American population is sitting around, wringing their hands like Snidely Whiplash, going "How can we hurt other people today?" You seriously believe that? And I bet you make fun of creationists...

Some of you zealots need to sit back and examine your rationales and the basis for them. You're about one step away from a becoming a cult...
696 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    35  ] Older