Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

19. Re: NPD 2011 Sales Estimates Jun 5, 2012, 20:07 Eirikrautha

Metasparks wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 19:55:
Eirikrautha, your comment was brilliant. Bravo!

Thanks... I have my moments...

Trust me, I've got a lot of pent-up frustration on this topic. Try graduate study in English Lit at any major university today in order to watch the insanity in action. It's even worse there, because the modern education establishment has succeeded in completely divorcing itself from reality. There is no Marxist-Feminist theory of bridge-building, because the first moron that tried it would have to be fished out of the river. The Arts and Humanities, on the other hand, are primarily intellectual masturbation to begin with (I've always thought English majors should get a "BS" in English... not a BA)...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

15. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 5, 2012, 15:14 Eirikrautha

space captain wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 10:18:
the main issue is people wanting to be offended.. thats what its really about - the comment is ridiculously mild

its called "self-righteous indignation" and its a default mode for plenty of insufferable assholes out there

Dear God... I agree with the Cap'n (a sign of the Apocalypse, I believe) on this one! This IS about power, but not the way that bleeding-hearts like Beamer portray it to be. It's about the power to stifle thoughts and/or speech that particular groups don't like.

There are some women who, in their anger at some men behaving like bores (or their own personal deficiencies... I'll leave it at that), would like to stigmatize all recognition of "traditional" female beauty. This is not "feminism"... it's RADICAL feminism (bordering on man-hating). To the radical feminist, any appreciation of the female form or physique is a form of degradation. And those radicals derive power (and revel in it) from their ability to stifle expression of that natural appreciation among males (and some females).

Considering how much money is spent in the cosmetic and plastic surgery industries, it is almost too trivial to note that the average woman WANTS to be considered attractive. Most would be flattered at (non-aggressive) recognition of that fact. Only the most virulent "feminist" denies that in order to wield her power of "being offended."

There's a big difference between "You have a very nice figure" and "You won't get hired unless you have sex with me." Only the rabid radicals (and the low-testosterone males who seek to curry favor with them) would conflate the two (and that's not even getting into the women who use their own sexuality to get ahead, something that feminist author Camile Paglia argues is even more "feminist" than Birkenstocks, unshaved armpits, and butch-lesbianism)...

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Details

32. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:51 Eirikrautha

Orogogus wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 19:36:
It's hard to tell where you're conflating George Lucas and LucasArts (for example, I don't think George Lucas has anything to do with this game), but LucasArts has certainly come up with a ton of other good ideas since Star Wars. Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Outlaws, Maniac Mansion & DOTT, the non-terrible Star Wars games, etc.

As for Lucas himself, I guess Indiana Jones used to be okay.

The "other" properties (i.e. the classic games like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, et al.) were definitely the product of the creative minds at early LucasArts, and not Lucas himself. Ever since then, LucasArts has been almost solely focused on Star Wars properties... in other words, Lucas' stuff (I wonder if the studio got "purged" the same way Lucas canned the employee who told him that Jar Jar Binks was going to be a flop). And since the focus on Star Wars, the only good games have been (generally) related to or in the same style as the original trilogy (X-Wing, Lego, KOTOR, etc.). I stand by my point...

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Details

30. Re: Star Wars 1313 Details Jun 1, 2012, 19:25 Eirikrautha

So it's official. George Lucas had ONE good idea 30+ years ago (cribbed from Akira Kurosawa and filtered through the genius of Joseph Campbell). Since then, he has had the resources of an entire company, with the ability to hire as much creative genius as he could ever desire... and he's come up with NOTHING decent since the first trilogy. Nothing!

I mean, this is the BEST LucasArts can do?!?! Really??!? Wall

News Comments > Star Wars Game Announcement This Week

3. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 28, 2012, 13:16 Eirikrautha

Hmmm... tell me that Lucas had nothing to do with this game and it might stand a chance. The man has the reverse-Midas syndrome... he can't even make a successful WWII movie (Remember the Titans + killing Nazis should = profit). Oh, how I wish Joseph Campbell was still alive (if for no other reason than to tell Lucas "No, moron! That's not 'mythic'; it's just stupid...").  

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes

4. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 13:02 Eirikrautha

Verno wrote on May 28, 2012, 13:00:
- better drop rates on sets/uniques/etc, we were swimming in them in D2 which wasn't necessarily good but this is too far in the other direction

And how are they going to make 15% on every transaction in the RMAH if they do that? Gameplay must be subservient to profit, m'boy!

News Comments > On Diablo III Balance Changes

2. Re: On Diablo III Balance Changes May 28, 2012, 13:00 Eirikrautha

And so it begins... The WOW "Nerf" Wars coming to a single-player semi-MMO game near you...  

News Comments > EVE Online Inferno Ignites This Month

5. Re: EVE Online Inferno Ignites This Month May 12, 2012, 14:30 Eirikrautha

Who cares about some "scandal"? Personally, I just don't find interactive Excel spreadsheets entertaining as a game...  

News Comments > Op Ed

60. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2012, 18:57 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:33:
Tumbler wrote on May 8, 2012, 14:24:
Too much stupid shit that has no chance of ever coming to fruition or living up to promises keeps getting kickstarted made by big publishers.

Two sides of a coin I guess, your comments seem to paint the gaming industry perfectly and I see Kickstarter as the complete opposite. A lot of stuff that the gaming industry seems to salivate over gets passed over or barely makes it on kickstarter, FPS's, and the ideas and games that the industry scoffs at, Wasteland 2, Double Fine Adventure game, gets a tidal wave of support.

The difference, Tumblr, is that when the publisher releases something stupid you do not buy it. When a game ships buggy you do not buy it. When a game gets canceled because it sucks or the developer goes out of business you do not pay for it.
With Kickstarter you do.

Wrong. In fact, EVERY gamer pays for a "AAA blockbuster" that fails. The difference is that you don't even know you are paying for it. When SonyEActivision has a poor selling game, they roll the losses over into another project. The resources (and staff) for other games get cut. The prices get jacked up, or the free DLC suddenly gets a price tag.

It's rather clever of you to try and obfuscate the nature of a large publisher by treating them as if they had each individual game segregated away from the others, but that is NOT the case. When a mainstream published game tanks, the publishers make up for it through the consumer... usually through a completely different game.

The idea that kickstarter is the only situation where gamers pay for rotten games is disingenuous at best. Kickstarter just can't hide it on the "books" somewhere, like SonyEActivision can...

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer

40. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 20:11 Eirikrautha

Jivaro wrote on May 5, 2012, 13:56:
HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2012, 13:25:
Not sure what the fuss is. If it's good I'll buy it, if it sucks, I won't. We'll see if they have a different take on MMO's. I know one thing a standard effort will not net them the $$$ they think it will.

Rationality on the Internet? Damn, the Mayans must be right....
Why on earth would I put any stock in the predictions of a people who predicted the end of the world, but not their OWN demise??? Tongue

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer

39. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 5, 2012, 20:02 Eirikrautha

^Drag0n^ wrote on May 5, 2012, 00:33:
I love how everyone is shitting all over this game before they even see a screenshot of descent quality and gameplay.

Yeah, that's the problem. The quality seems to have descended to the level of crappy MMOs... which doesn't represent the actual appeal of an Elder Scrolls game. Face it, outside of the size factor, most people play TES games in order to be pricks or gods (and the game design pretty much reinforces that). The "pricks"-thing was done to perfection by UO, and an entire MMO full of overpowered characters will get you what? <in my best Incredibles voice> When everyboby is a god, nobody is...</Incredibles>

News Comments > Diablo III Auctions Detailed

103. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 23:44 Eirikrautha

The reality is that drop rates will be tweaked so you won't be able to play on the harder or more competitive modes without buying items. So everyone thinking that they will be able to play through without using the AH is deluding themselves. It'll either be an interminable grind for gold to use in the "fake" auction house, or you'll have to shell out the cash in order to complete later levels. Why do you think Blizzard made so much of how they pumped up the difficulty in levels past the beta? It's P2W... just camouflaged. Bank on it!  

News Comments > SimOcean TMed

8. Re: SimOcean TMed Apr 28, 2012, 18:23 Eirikrautha

Actually, upon thinking about it, I'd like to see The Sims redone for gamers. Then your Sim toon would have to sit at the computer and play a Sim toon for most of the day, who would be playing a Sim toon, and so on ad finitum, like a pair of facing mirrors. It'd be great! Computer  

News Comments > SimOcean TMed

1. Re: SimOcean TMed Apr 28, 2012, 14:03 Eirikrautha

Ah, yes. I've been breathlessly awaiting the chance to play a good ocean simulator. Would wouldn't love to spend the day as plankton? Hey, it worked for Spore! </sarcasm>

Future Sims properties:

• SimMountains

• SimInterstellarVoid

• SimGasGiant

• SimVolcano

• SimSepticTank
  • (Wait... that one could be real...)

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced

18. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 Apr 25, 2012, 17:02 Eirikrautha

AnointedSword wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:24:
    ItBurn wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 14:00:
    While it's good that we're getting more stalker-style games, free 2 play and mmo are not good words for me. Online games can't capture the richness of a singleplayer experience... And Stalker was all about the richness of experience.

You will see a day where online catches up. The bottom line is, most people do not want to be alone;) They would rather get together with family and friends and hang out. This applies to virtual worlds as well.

Yeah... that's why the Washington Post (or NYT, I don't remember which) published an article yesterday by an MIT psychology professor lamenting the growth of "internet" families... families that sit around in the same room, silently, and just communicate or play games on their phones/IPads/etc. These people obviously crave human contact and interaction... Rolleyes

News Comments > Star Trek Footage

12. Re: Star Trek Footage Apr 17, 2012, 17:53 Eirikrautha

The clip is heavy on action, showing Kirk and Spock doing their best Kane and Lynch impression, running around and shooting everything in sight.

The sound you hear is Gene Roddenberry spinning in his grave at Warp Factor 9...

News Comments > WoW Customer Service Changes Coming

6. Re: WoW Customer Service Changes Coming Apr 16, 2012, 23:52 Eirikrautha

WOW has customer service? I stopped playing several years ago (right after the honor system for PvP was introduced; my main was 52 and got insta-ganked all over the map) and had my "closed" account hacked and reactivated 3 times, even after I told them to lock it completely. I ended up having to get a new CC and everything... and customer service provided absolutely no "service" whatsoever...  

News Comments > Op Ed

20. Re: Op Ed Apr 16, 2012, 23:44 Eirikrautha

Perhaps the fact that "popular" games for "non-gamers" on the Wii pretty much meant Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Exactly how do you follow up on that? People who become real gamers from using the Wii (assuming that happens) are going to move on to more advanced systems. And once the "casual" fan has played Wii bowling, how excited will he get for Wii Bowling Part 7? Nintendo went down the glorious EA/Madden path with "casual" gaming... and traded short-term sales for long-term ambivalence...  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Welcome Back

12. Re: World of Warcraft Welcome Back Apr 14, 2012, 16:53 Eirikrautha

Ahhh, the WOW-killer has turned out to be WOW. At some point, even the most enthusiastic fans are going to get tired of the same old grind/mechanic. Without a great guild and the social aspects (which WOW can't manufacture, only make easier), even the veteran player will tire quickly. Once the social group starts to move/flag...  

News Comments > Dungeon Lords MMXII Announced

2. Re: Dungeon Lords MMXII Announced Apr 13, 2012, 10:53 Eirikrautha

They just don't get it, do they? They see a kickstarter for Wasteland 2 and think, "Hey, maybe we can throw a little cash at a 7 year-old game, pretty it up a bit, and rake in the dough!"

This is as stupid as trying to appeal to older movie-goers by making crappy or out-of-genre remakes of eighties and nineties TV shows... oh, wait! Wall

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 33.
    < Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >