Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Fortnite To Use Online DRM?

48. Re: Fortnite To Use Online DRM? Jul 19, 2012, 18:24 Eirikrautha

ASeven wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 17:59:
Why the comment? Did you bought D3 and now regret that the real implications of supporting such a DRM are starting to show up?

Ahhh, yes. The tell-tale tint of Kool-Aid on the lips... the universal indicator of fanbois and suckers alike... Dunce

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10

78. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 16, 2012, 13:41 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Jul 15, 2012, 23:21:
Been playing Space Marine.

It's a fairly decent title, but it seems to wobble between fun and just annoying. There are some fun levels where you can lay waste to entire armies of orcs in fun and spectacular ways, and then there are levels where every room you enter has 10 snipers, hallways where a bomb-hound drops basically right on top of you (which kills you at difficulty normal or higher), areas where rocket nobs are shooting at you and you can't kill them (which has to be my absolute favorite.)

It also has absolutely bizarre pacing issues. You'll be fighting orcs for a good ten minutes straight, and then suddenly you go into a ten minute stretch where all you do is walk into a room, go to the door with the green button, hit the green button, watch it open, go into the next (basically identical) room, go towards another door with a green button, hit the button, watch door open, go into 3rd room, look for door with green button, etc.

The game helpfully auto-saves in about every other room, because God forbid you lose progress in empty rooms. Then you come upon a mega battle, followed by a miniboss at the end, and it refuses to auto-save anywhere, so if you die, yeah, you get to kill all the 2000 orcs again before you get another shot at the miniboss.

And then there's the elevators. About a million of them. Each of them goes slower than Mass Effect's elevators, and especially in level 5 or 6, you have to go onto about 12 of them in fairly short succession. I think I spent three hours just standing on a fucking elevator...

Combine that with the rather inane method of healing: I don't mind that your space marine doesn't regenerate health (even though he DOES regenerate armor? WTF?), if the method for regaining health wasn't so nonsensical. In order to regain health, you have to execute an enemy. How do you execute an enemy? Well, first you have to stun them by using a combination attack + stun. The combo for these is fairly finnicky, as you need to time them quite precisely, otherwise the combo doesn't work, and you just do a normal attack.

So here you are, low on health, in the midst of an orc horde, and you need to regain health. Okay, chop chop stun. Shit. chop stun. shit. Chop chop chop stun. Hey, a stun worked!

Then, the enemy that you stunned (and is ready for execution) typically falls at least 10 feet back from where he was standing, so you need to run over to him and execute him. The execution typically takes 5 or so seconds (10 in case of a Nob), during which you happily continue to take damage from the 30 other orcs around you.

If you're lucky, you will regain a nice chunk of health. (a nob will completely heal you, but smaller enemies give you about 25% or so) Most of the times, however, you'll regain a little bit and you need to start to try to stun something again.

It's beyond me how on earth a developer came up with that system and didn't think "you know... if a player is low on health, maybe forcing him to run into a horde of Orcs and try to pull off our finnicky combo's in order to regain some isn't really the best system..."

Also, in chapter 2 you get a jump pack, which is glorious, GLORIOUS fun. Raining death from above on your enemies is fantastic, it controls like a charm, it's awesome. Seriously, it was at that point where i was like "Okay! Now the fun is STARTING! THIS GAME FUCKING ROCKS!"

And then five minutes later you have to take it off again, and then you get it back... well, I dunno, really. I'm in chapter 10 now, and I've still to see it. Same developer: "Hmmm, the jump pack is WAY too much fun. Let's immediately take it away again! PEOPLE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE FUN PLAYING THIS GAME!"

Fucking hell...

It looks nice, the fights are fun if you can avoid getting slaughtered (which isn't easy in the later levels) and some of the weapons are pretty cool. I paid 15 bucks for the whole pack (not realizing that all the DLC is multiplayer only. Sigh) and I think if you get it at the 7.50 or 10 buck mark you'll get your value out of it. But it definitely seems like one of those games that was designed by a checkbox committee, and nobody ever actually bothered to test and make sure it was FUN to play.

Creston

Er... what he said!

I didn't buy the DLCs, so I think I paid a fair price for what it is. I do hate the difficulty swings (which you so eloquently related in your post), but what I'm really missing is the drive to play it. The WH40K universe is cool, so I should be chomping at the bit to play again. But not so much. In fact, I'm thinking of restarting the game in easy mode, just so that I can enjoy the feeling of badass I expect from an Ultramarine...

News Comments > Steam Top 10

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 15, 2012, 20:48 Eirikrautha

They've gotten me for Bastion, Space Marine, and Eschalon II. I swear, I am a sucker for a good indie game at $3.75... and Space Marine just looked like mindless fun. I'd have never bought it at full price, but $7? Yeah, gimme some! Rifle  

News Comments > UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year

21. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 16:48 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 10:13:
necrosis wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 09:07:
Is this some kind of joke? THIS is the PC exclusive Epic is bringing us?

They revealed this as what it was months ago.
Almost definitely a $20-$30 game that was the idea of a few guys and is being used to stretch some unused muscles and to fill time between UE4 being ready and new consoles coming out. They're trying something completely new for them as an experiment. Could be pretty fun.

Could be. Or it could be another "AAA" game studio unwilling to take a chance... delivering only a pale imitation of a genre that they think will be the new smash hit...

Looks like Minecraft is the new WoW. I suppose it'll take two dozen lame ripoffs before various industry giants realize that you can't catch lightning in a bottle after the stroke has fallen...

Dunce

News Comments > Of Orcs And Men Website & Trailer

1. Re: Of Orcs And Men Website & Trailer Jul 6, 2012, 10:37 Eirikrautha

I might be intrigued... except I can't find any gameplay footage from their website. Color me cautiously suspicious...  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans

1. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 4, 2012, 11:54 Eirikrautha

So it's not bad enough that Hollywood has no creativity and must continue to remake the same movies over and over again (as if the world needs another Total Recall); now we have video games condemned to eternal creative loops. Don't get me wrong, FFVII was the height of JRPGs... but I'd rather see a new good one than replay an old one...  

News Comments > World of Warplanes Trailer

1. Re: World of Warplanes Trailer Jun 23, 2012, 19:38 Eirikrautha

World of Warplanes is to flight-sims what Taco Bell is to fine dining....

And no offense to Taco Bell intended!

News Comments > Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday

20. Re: Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Tuesday Jun 23, 2012, 10:58 Eirikrautha

NKD wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 06:08:
I don't expect them to retcon their entire story out. They are "artists" after all, and part of that is expressing yourself. I'd be disappointed if they were so jaded that their own creative juices meant nothing. Even though I didn't really dig the ending, I respect that they had their own reasoning for doing it that way

I appreciate that they are throwing us a bone, but at the end of the day I'm not ready to concede that games are a purely financial endeavor where the only concern is pleasing the customers so you can meet the bottom line.

Sometimes you have to tell your fans "Tough luck, fuckin deal with it!", just like your fans have to sometimes tell you "No thanks, not buying your shit anymore."

Artistic choices?!? Please! That's like commenting on the "artistic choices" made by a kindergartener when he colors in a faux Mona Lisa: "Wow, what vision! The choice of mauve for the hair shows a clear rejection of dialectical realism!"

Mass Effect is a collection of some of the most well-worn tropes that science fiction has ever produced. The only way it could get more hackneyed would be to have a galaxy-wide "force" that Shepard must learn to use in order to bring balance back to the universe...

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition

83. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 10:57 Eirikrautha

DG wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 10:44:
Thinking about it, I'm wondering if the level of CC fraud is so bad they've had warnings that they could be cut off by the payment processors?
That's an intelligent question! When you consider that they have created a system whereby players can make money just by playing, they have created a system that rewards the unscrupulous (put in a false CC#, loot and sell in the AH/RMAH, then transfer your loot to another character before the account gets banned).

The humor is that every attempt to weed out the unscrupulous has resulted in more injury to the honest player. It is the logical extreme of any DRM, treating the honest player like a criminal. And some people are actually defending it (which leads me to question whether or not Blues has its own paid shill infestation)!

News Comments > Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners

36. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 21:22 Eirikrautha

Sepharo wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 20:17:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 17:27:
Flatline wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 14:22:
If we decided that internet was a national resource and that every single person in the country needed to have state of the art internet, we *could* do it in a generation, easily. It'd just take a lot of effort and a lot of money.

Rock on. I'll count on you to pony up the money necessary, then. Oh, wait... you meant someone else's money!

Every dime to create infrastructure comes out of someone's pocket, either through taxes or charges. You can tax some people to pay for someone else's infrastructure (the reason that this country is so messed up: the don't and won't dos are subsidized by the already have dones) or you can raise the prices to pay for the individual services that people receive.

No one is stopping you from having a dedicated fiber-optic line run from the local teleco directly to your mom's basement. They'd be happy to do it... so long as you are willing to pony up the cash. And there are a lot of people who would rather have cheap cable than fast internet speeds (otherwise the telecos would put the fiber in). But you'd rather take someone else's money and then spend it the way you want. How noble of you...

If you live in the United States you've already been benefiting from publicly funded infrastructure your whole life. If your parents, grandparents, and beyond also lived here then you owe your most likely comfortable life to that infrastructure. This isn't something unique to the United States or even modern life... Humans have been banding together and cooperating since always. Our lives are as great as they are because we benefit from helping each other. Go live in the fucking woods but make sure you don't use any roads to get there if you haven't personally paid for the complete construction of them. And next time you shit keep it out of our pipes... Yeah, you have a fucking septic tank big deal
Who's this "our"? Care to compare our relative lifetime contributions to society, through both taxes and the value of the products we have produced? I'll bet I've footed both my share and a bunch of your share of the modern "infrastructure". And the rest of your argument is a non sequitur. Because people have paid for roads in the past (which provide both a civil and military benefit), I am not allowed to object to paying for a luxury like fast internet for everyone? What's next, compulsory caviar and brie (it's for the children, you know)?

Now, since reading comprehension seems to be a dying art, I'll spell this out in small words so everyone here will be sure to follow.

The original poster decried the lack of commitment in the US to increasing the availability of fast data services. He referred to such services as "infrastructure." I simply pointed out the differences in scale between SK and the US, and (sarcastically) that the definition of "infrastructure" today is "anything I'd like to have, but want other people to pay for." Data service is NOT "infrastructure" ... it is a luxury. And it is a luxury that the American people don't seem to want to pay for. If they did, Verizon wouldn't have stopped converting old copper to FIOS. There's no interest among large groups of Americans to create a high-speed network for everyone with their disposable income. So, what is the other funding option? Force people to pay for something they don't want (but you do) through the government's forcible confiscation of wages, under the guise of "infrastructure." Well, sorry, but that doesn't fly...

35. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 21:05 Eirikrautha

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 20:16:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 17:27:
If we decided that internet was a national resource and that every single person in the country needed to have state of the art internet, we *could* do it in a generation, easily. It'd just take a lot of effort and a lot of money.

Rock on. I'll count on you to pony up the money necessary, then. Oh, wait... you meant someone else's money!

Every dime to create infrastructure comes out of someone's pocket, either through taxes or charges. You can tax some people to pay for someone else's infrastructure (the reason that this country is so messed up: the don't and won't dos are subsidized by the already have dones) or you can raise the prices to pay for the individual services that people receive.
So, you're saying you're against infrastructure spending? So you wouldn't have been in favor of things like the interstate system or railroads, or electric and water service?

You're making the same mistake he was. It doesn't matter what I want. If I want something the community doesn't want, then I need to pay for it myself. The US population does not value fast internet to the point that they are willing to fund it. This is shown by the fact that even the attempts by major telecos (like Verizon) to increase FIOS services have been suspended. The public at large doesn't want the service at the price. They would rather spend their LUXURY dollars elsewhere.

Oh, and ironically enough, most of the things you listed are not infrastructure for the public's convenience. Both the interstate system and most railroads were originally designed to support military movements (check the original interstate proposals by Eisenhower or the original rationale for many of the railways). The civilian benefits were a by-product of a military objective (kind of like ... oh... DARPANET...). The rest were accomplished by PRIVATE dollars (at least until FDR and the TVA)... because people wanted to pay for it.

Just because we love online gaming does not mean that everyone wants a high-speed connection. Especially when the primary source of "public" infrastructure funding today comes from forced remittances of money (i.e. taxes).

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition

1. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 21, 2012, 20:50 Eirikrautha

LOL! So they can't stop farmers from farming, so they lock the farmers out for 72 hours after buying a new account (in theory). And your SINGLE PLAYER game is limited to a demo for 72 hours after purchase!

The DRM has become the game...

27. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 17:30 Eirikrautha

Quboid wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 13:56:
...he said that the US lacks vision and innovation.
Sorry, I was giving him credit for not being that stupid. Anyone who can say, with a straight face, that the US doesn't innovate or create grand visions of the future is so laughable as to beneath response.

It's not the Chinese, Japanese, or Taiwanese who are inventing what they mass produce for us...

26. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 17:27 Eirikrautha

No one is stopping you from having a dedicated fiber-optic line run from the local teleco directly to your mom's basement. They'd be happy to do it... so long as you are willing to pony up the cash. And there are a lot of people who would rather have cheap cable than fast internet speeds (otherwise the telecos would put the fiber in). But you'd rather take someone else's money and then spend it the way you want. How noble of you...

12. Re: Refunds for Some Korean Diablo III Owners Jun 21, 2012, 12:55 Eirikrautha

Flatline wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 12:29:
Verno wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 11:59:
Koreans generally have really good internet infrastructure so I assume whoever Blizzard contracted the game out to in South Korea must have really dropped the ball.

South Korea considers their internet infrastructure a national resource to be invested in and actively cultivated. I read that they intend to have gigabit to the home within like 5-10 years.

I wish we had that kind of vision here in America. However, here innovation means "figure out new ways to charge you more for less service or product!"

South Korea: 38,691 sq mi; pop 48,875,000
USA: 3,794,101 sq mi; pop 313,772,000

That whole "physics" and "engineering" thing is a bit beyond you, eh?

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event

1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Weekend Event Jun 20, 2012, 17:11 Eirikrautha

What makes these so nice is that they are so rare... oh, wait, they do these every weekend...

So how's that working out?

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale

18. Re: MechWarrior Online Founders Packages on Sale Jun 19, 2012, 23:03 Eirikrautha

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 22:43:
Have fun not playing while the rest of us play for free..."

Errr, you mean "have fun not playing while the rest of us lose for free." Do you seriously think that you'll be anything other than cannon-fodder compared to those that P2W? Nothing like abject frustration to encourage me to throw money at a game </sarcasm>. But then, I guess I'm not a sheep... Wall

News Comments > Neversoft Supporting CoD

2. Re: Neversoft Supporting CoD Jun 15, 2012, 12:22 Eirikrautha

Ooooo! Fresh blood. Perhaps we'll get a new take on this fran...

Who am I kidding? Nah, they'll just milk the cash cow from different udders.

News Comments > Rockstar on Max Payne 3 Cheaters

14. Re: Rockstar on Max Payne 3 Cheaters Jun 13, 2012, 18:29 Eirikrautha

Isn't this putting all criminals onto one unsupervised Island to fend for themselves.

Even Snake Pliskin wanted out of New York...

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Trailers

24. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 20:11 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 15:56:
Bud, those days for LA are long, long gone. And they will never come again. Never. I just want Tim Schafer to secure the rights to Grim Fandango and someone else do up a nice Outlaws style game. They could easily get a few mil each on Kickstarter for those.

Sadly, I believe you are right. Whatever creativity there was at LA was long ago butt-raped by Jar Jar Binks...

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >