Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

75. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 10:58 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 01:42:
Your point of view is by default disrespectful, hence why few show you respect. Again, as others mentioned, you're asking people to tolerate your intolerance and being surprised when they refuse.

So, because you disagree with my idea (whatever you think it is), you need not show respect? For all the talk of "tolerance", in reality, the only thing that separates you from the gay-bashers is which idea you believe justifies your vitriol.

I've always believed that the complaints that an idea is "disguised hatred" by definition exist solely to justify both ignoring opposing arguments and to free oneself from moral or rational constraints. Disagreeing, believing someone is incorrect or mistaken, is not "hatred." I'll let those reading this thread decide who has been rational, respectful, and has addressed opponents' points, and who has resorted to vitriol, name-calling, and preaching at strawmen...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:51 Eirikrautha

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:43:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:01:
Ohhhhh... how perceptive of you. You've foiled my diabolical plan by carefully discerning my "bigotry." How about you explain it to everyone else? With quotes! Because otherwise, if you can't directly quote where I have blindly held to my beliefs without hearing or addressing the opposing viewpoints (that being the definition of "bigot"... sound familiar?), then your entire screed is nothing more than your own delusional projection.

I look forward to the quotes.
I'm not bothering to pull the quotes. Anyone who cares to can go back and read what you wrote. You seem to think it's fine for Chick-Fil-A's CEO to speak against gays, but bad to boycott them because of it. You've made several comments about how gays being open about their sexuality are inviting the abuse. You concede a point about how incidental comments can out someone as gay, but then simply dismiss it, claiming they shouldn't have their own gathering. Try making a decent argument that isn't bigotted on its face.

Game. Set. Match.

55. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:01 Eirikrautha

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:52:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:20:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:09:
WarpCrow wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:50:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:48:
And all from a simple, yet irrefutable, idea: "On the internet, they only way someone knows you are a gay gamer is if you decide it's so important that you must tell them..."

Or if you mention your SO, or if you happen to remark that someone or a character in a game is attractive, or if you mention in passing any number of things from your daily life that identify your sexuality but you have the luxury of taking all of that for granted. So yeah, if you just ignore anything but talking about games, you could probably hide it. Most people, straight and gay, don't do that, nor should they have to.

Exactly. He believes that it's ok to speak out against gays and slander and defame them all you want, because they have it coming for not hiding it well enough apparently. Yeah, he doesn't really make any sense. He sure thinks he's some kind of intellectual giant making these ridiculous arguments though.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the textbook example of the strawman logical fallacy. Tell me, oh great mind-reader, what the rest of the mere mortals here are thinking right now... Worship
Keep dodging buddy... you've revealed your own bigotry time and again here. You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with. You just don't like the fact that they don't hide the fact that they're gay. If incidental exposure didn't lead to all manner of abuse, they wouldn't need their "safe place". It's assholes like you that make that necessary.

Ohhhhh... how perceptive of you. You've foiled my diabolical plan by carefully discerning my "bigotry." How about you explain it to everyone else? With quotes! Because otherwise, if you can't directly quote where I have blindly held to my beliefs without hearing or addressing the opposing viewpoints (that being the definition of "bigot"... sound familiar?), then your entire screed is nothing more than your own delusional projection.

I look forward to the quotes.

52. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:20 Eirikrautha

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:09:
And all from a simple, yet irrefutable, idea: "On the internet, they only way someone knows you are a gay gamer is if you decide it's so important that you must tell them..."

Or if you mention your SO, or if you happen to remark that someone or a character in a game is attractive, or if you mention in passing any number of things from your daily life that identify your sexuality but you have the luxury of taking all of that for granted. So yeah, if you just ignore anything but talking about games, you could probably hide it. Most people, straight and gay, don't do that, nor should they have to.

Exactly. He believes that it's ok to speak out against gays and slander and defame them all you want, because they have it coming for not hiding it well enough apparently. Yeah, he doesn't really make any sense. He sure thinks he's some kind of intellectual giant making these ridiculous arguments though.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the textbook example of the strawman logical fallacy. Tell me, oh great mind-reader, what the rest of the mere mortals here are thinking right now... Worship

51. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:14 Eirikrautha

That's a fair point. I haven't argued that anyone has to be focused totally on gaming and never mention anything personal. But you have to admit that making the focus of your gathering your sexuality is just a little far beyond "incidental exposure"...

47. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:09 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:01:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:16:
Beamer wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:59:
Can we all agree to block Eirikrautha? 77 posts, most of which are in this topic whining about how people that are different than him don't deserve the same rights as him.

Good guy!

Yeah! Burn the witch! I made one post and got jumped all over here. But I suppose I'm not entitled to argue my point...

BTW. Post the quote where I say "people that are different than me don't deserve the same rights as me" or be a liar.

No one said you weren't entitled to your point.
We said your point was a bad, irrational, hateful one.

That's our point. Will you say we're not entitled to it?

Of course you are entitled to it. Where did I say you have to shut up? Ironically, the only person that has been called names on this thread is me. Except for baiting Cutter (which shouldn't count), show me where I haven't been respectful (mostly ), even with the points I disagree with. And the response has been virulent. Which is my point. Hypocrisy... it's what's for dinner...

News Comments > Wings: Director's Cut Kickstarter

10. Re: Wings: Director's Cut Kickstarter Aug 11, 2012, 21:21 Eirikrautha

Didn't have an Amiga. How did Wings compare to Red Baron? That was pretty much the gold standard of WWI flight sims IMHO.  

43. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 21:16 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:59:
Can we all agree to block Eirikrautha? 77 posts, most of which are in this topic whining about how people that are different than him don't deserve the same rights as him.

Good guy!

Yeah! Burn the witch! I made one post and got jumped all over here. But I suppose I'm not entitled to argue my point...

BTW. Post the quote where I say "people that are different than me don't deserve the same rights as me" or be a liar.

41. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 20:48 Eirikrautha

yuastnav wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:32:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:20:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 19:43:
Since being gay is not a question of taste but one of biology it would be advisable to drop the theories that have been falsified.
And don't forget: Humans are not born with a specific set of morals or ethics so no one is born a homophobe. You become one.

Actually, no human being is born gay (or straight), either. Sexual attraction is developed during puberty. There is no consensus on the origin of same-sex attraction... and there are certainly no peer reviewed studies that have identified a biological "cause" of same-sex attraction. While biology might very well play a role, you are channeling your beliefs here... not facts.

At least you admit that this is about changing other people's morals. I applaud your honesty. Why you feel qualified to impose your morality on others, I don't know...

In a world where no one cared about sexuality, we wouldn't have gaming groups dedicated to certain sexualities. But obviously some people do care.

It does not really matter when sexual attraction is developed. Every person is wired in a certain way and some of these things only take effect at a certain age. Some may be prone to fall to some illness easier than others, some are fated to develop a condition with a higher probability etc. and some are born gay, others straight, other asexual and what not.

And yes, it is about morals. There is no such thing as immorality, only morality that differs form the morality of a certain individual or a group (i.e. society).
Humans differ from animals slightly in the sense that they have reason and morals are a function of that reason. It is a credo and a curse.
Though homophobia is a result of morality. Without morals homophobia would not exist (for that see other animals).

Ahhhh, but why do we have morals? Perhaps morals serve to preserve societies or cultures (in the aggregate, not the individual cases)? What if some moralities have enabled certain cultures to be more successful (once again, in the aggregate)? What if cultures evolve like organisms?

This would make an interesting corollary discussion as well, but I'm getting a little bored with poking the hornets nest tonight. I've managed to get Cutter to ignore me (yes!), so I've gotten all the fun I came for.

39. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 20:23 Eirikrautha

Sepharo wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:01:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 19:08:
What do they teach in schools today? ... The Tienanmen Square uprising was put down brutally. The guy who stepped in front of the tanks was run over and crushed (that's the part they never show on the documentaries).

What do they teach in your school?

My mistake. He wasn't the guy that got run over. According to later reports, he was arrested and executed 14 days later... my point stands...

38. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 20:20 Eirikrautha

yuastnav wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 19:43:
Since being gay is not a question of taste but one of biology it would be advisable to drop the theories that have been falsified.
And don't forget: Humans are not born with a specific set of morals or ethics so no one is born a homophobe. You become one.

Actually, no human being is born gay (or straight), either. Sexual attraction is developed during puberty. There is no consensus on the origin of same-sex attraction... and there are certainly no peer reviewed studies that have identified a biological "cause" of same-sex attraction. While biology might very well play a role, you are channeling your beliefs here... not facts.

At least you admit that this is about changing other people's morals. I applaud your honesty. Why you feel qualified to impose your morality on others, I don't know...

In a world where no one cared about sexuality, we wouldn't have gaming groups dedicated to certain sexualities. But obviously some people do care.

33. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 19:10 Eirikrautha

WarpCrow wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 17:17:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 14:10:
As a response to others here: I love the smell of straw men in the morning! So because some nut says wacky things about gays, everyone who opposes flaunting sexuality in the public square (which was my original post) is suddenly guilty of bigotry? Hahahaha (so I suppose I can use Jerry Sandusky to paint all gay men with a broad brush...)!

Find me a major activist organization that opposes gays but does not say wacky, defamatory things about them. Go ahead, find one.

Find me one major gay activist organization that doesn't say hateful and derogatory things about those that disagree with them. Go ahead, find one.

32. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 19:08 Eirikrautha

Bhruic wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 17:02:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 14:50:
A minority cannot force a majority to agree with them.

And that's why countries have laws. So that the rights of minorities aren't trampled on by the majority.

As to the rest, you are wrong. Minority rights have historically been granted because people from the minority had enough, and decided to stand up for themselves. Rosa Parks being the best example if you want to talk about "Blacks in the US".

What do they teach in schools today? Rosa Parks could only do what she did because the average US citizen tries to be a moral person... and was ashamed of what they saw as a moral wrong. The people had already been convinced that racism was wrong. If not, the responding police would have just shot her and moved on.

There can be no "Rosa Parks" in nations that do not respect the validity of the arguments she makes. The Tienanmen Square uprising was put down brutally. The guy who stepped in front of the tanks was run over and crushed (that's the part they never show on the documentaries). If the vast majority of Americans weren't open to the idea of racial equality, Parks would have been beaten down and no change made. Instead, almost 100 years of abolitionists, racial advocates (the NAACP, the SCLC, W.E.B. Dubois, et al.) and others had made a strong case for equality... which had been accepted by a growing silent majority. The events of the Civil Rights Movement turned the silent majority into the vocal majority...

There's just no comparison between a genetic characteristic like race and a behavioral one.

P.S. Countries' laws only work when there is broad agreement to them. When the populace disagrees, you get mass disobedience (think speed limits) with a government effort that solves little. People can be free in America only because the majority of the populace believes in freedom. When they don't, no "laws" will stop anyone who seeks to take that freedom. We're always only one Supreme Court "interpretation" away from losing fundamental rights...

31. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 18:53 Eirikrautha

Hey, that finger-in-the-ears thing is both a mature and effective method of argument, eh? La-la-la-la, I can't hear you... LOL!

Though I will give you this, you did spiral into direct defamation and ignoring all points you couldn't poke holes in. I was worried that you would quit before you hit rock bottom. Thanks for proving me wrong there....

26. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 14:50 Eirikrautha

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 12:52:
Why is this "you won't tolerate my intolerance so that makes you intolerant" argument so fucking popular these days?

Tolerance is not a two-way street. If you advocate discrimination against any group of people because the group's traits go against your religious beliefs or because you think it's gross and it's going to get on you if, heaven forbid, they aren't ashamed of themselves, you are intolerant. Period. It is not intolerant to call you on it, it is simply stating a fact.

I'll explain it to you. First, read George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language." Then you'll see your mistake.

Tolerance means being accepting or non-oppositional to another person, idea, or behavior. This is why holding "tolerance" up as an ideal is so stupid... because everyone is intolerant of something. Are you tolerant of rapists, child molesters, or thieves? Corporate raiders, investment bankers, neo-Nazis?

Where you err is in assuming that the ideas you like are somehow exempt from scrutiny, and can therefore be labeled "tolerant" and that those who disagree with you are "intolerant." It's called avoiding argument by attempting to redefine the terms. I'm afraid you don't get to do that.

In fact, your own post outs you as a bigot! A bigot is one who is narrowly devoted to his own ideas or prejudices. Basically, your argument (or lack thereof) is that your opinion can be heard and is correct, but the differing opinion is invalid on its face and must be discarded without even being heard. Bigot-town, population YOU, baby!

What's so funny here is that real civil rights have always been protected and restored through persuasion. Blacks in the US convinced the majority of the population that they were morally and ethically wrong (often at great cost to themselves). They showed in both the military during WWII and elsewhere that they were equal... and the laws melted away because of the public disapproval (the actions of a racist rearguard only obscured the inevitability). A minority cannot force a majority to agree with them. They must convince. But this is the opposite of the tactic above. The majority of the populations in the 30+ states that have voted down gay marriage amendments are not going to be swayed by "your ideas are invalid, because I say so."

"Shut up!" isn't an argument, nor does it win hearts and minds...

25. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 14:10 Eirikrautha

Hahahaha! Oh, I love the pretzel logic here! You decry name-calling by name-calling. That's hysterical!

As a response to others here: I love the smell of straw men in the morning! So because some nut says wacky things about gays, everyone who opposes flaunting sexuality in the public square (which was my original post) is suddenly guilty of bigotry? Hahahaha (so I suppose I can use Jerry Sandusky to paint all gay men with a broad brush...)!

You can believe anything you want about the origin of human sexuality... but it's not race. When a black man walks into a store, his race is evident. But a polygamist? A boy who loves his sister (in a carnal sense)? A heterosexual? How do you know that?

The fact is that this particular community wants special consideration. If I play a game on XboxLive (God forbid!), I might have people call me gay, fat, a loser, a noob, etc. If you want to attack the juvenile behavior of gamers... be my guest.

But if I say I'm an atheist, they might call me a godless commie that'll burn in hell. If I identify as a Christian, they might call me a Jesus freak. Should we deplore that kind of language (since some of you use that kind of insult all the time on Blues), especially since I self-identified? What if I said I was from West Virginia... should we ban the terms red-neck or sister-humper?

What we have here is a group that is self-identifying for the purpose of stifling comments they don't like. But that's freedom of speech, baby! Call me whatever you want... you don't know me and it doesn't bother me a bit. But when you attempt to justify your own name-calling while deploring the name-calling of others... you guys are hysterical!

I don't care if the person I'm playing online is gay, straight, bi, polygamist, or a furry. The fact that they want me to know what they are says everything...

19. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 11:37 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 11:09:

Well I guess it's time to demolish the churches and every other building that's identifiable for holding a specific group because they're obviously way too loud about it, right? So it's ok for some groups to have this sort of stuff so long as you think it's ok, right? I mean you'd never complain about people going to a gun club.

Really? Where do you live that there's a gay pride parade every day? Sounds like a fun place to me. Being gay just doesn't happen in a specific place. So yeah, like any other disenfranchised group that's denied basic human and civil rights about certain things you take for granted they should be getting loud about it. You're loud about everything else so why is it ok for you and not them? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

No, once they have the same rights everyone else takes for granted and they stop being harassed for simply being who they are they'll shut up.

LOL! Pot, meet kettle.

I think it is hilarious that you would advocate for tolerance while being totally intolerant of opposing viewpoints.

Let's take your first complaint, shall we? If gay people would like to express their heartfelt beliefs that what they do is normal and natural, I think we'd both agree they have every right to do so in the public square. If they wanted to do so in a gathering designed to make them feel comfortable, we'd also agree. But do those who believe that what they do is not normal have to be silenced? Do those who don't agree have to acknowledge and approve?

Would you agree that a person who feels that gay behavior is not normal has just as much right to speak about it in the public square? To create places where they feel able to gather and feel "safe" in their opinions? Of course, there would be consequences. Would you support someone being fired or their business being boycotted because they support gay marriage? So how about Chick-Fil-A?

My biggest problem with those who wish to show how much "better" they are than everyone else through their "tolerance" is that they are just hypocrites. Discussion of social issues (especially stuff having to do with gay issues) usually ends up being free-speech-for-me-but-not-for-thee.

No one is denying anyone's basic civil rights in this argument. There are no laws that treat gay people differently (cite one if you disagree... I want to see the "if you are hetero then X, if you are homo then Y"). They even have the presumption of righteousness in all of the major American media and entertainment outlets (a recent study by a gay magazine found there is a larger percentage of gay characters in primetime than in the US population as a whole. Say the same thing about Catholics, I dare you). Sorry, just don't see how this is a crisis.

There are morons and 13 year-olds playing COD on XboxLive. Wow, what a revelation. Put on your big-girl panties and deal with it...

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 This Month

14. Re: Diablo III 1.04 This Month Aug 10, 2012, 23:29 Eirikrautha

AnointedSword wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 22:58:
I love how people were saying this game was dead. I find it funny because of the actual data that we have on this company. Blizzard has showed support for their games second to none. Take away all the class warfare- rich versus poor- arguments and you have a company that supported D2 for years! Name another company (not community patches) that supported a game as long? The list is real short...

I also find it funny that people say this game has zero content after you beat the game. Clearly, you have never played other action RPGs or...I will keep the negative thoughts to myself. With that said, more content will come via patches and boxed expansions (just like most every other game in this category).

Why is it too little...too late? Blizzard will get this game up to par long before an expansion will come out. It isn't like you have to pay a monthly fee or by another copy to try out the new patches...

Cool... I thought all the Kool Aid drinkers here on Blues had been cowed into silence! Jester

First, this Blizzard is not the Blizzard that made (or supported) Diablo II. Sure, it's the same name... but a lot of the creative talent has left, and the outlook of the studio has become solidly Activision. So your appeal to the past is worthless.

Second, the complaints about "endgame" have nothing to do with an actual end (and post-game content) and everything to do with the replay-ability of the game. Previous Diablos were fun after game end specifically because the item grind encouraged replays. Because Blizzard marketed this game as a quasi-MMO and designed it around their AH, the one feature that gave Diablo games longevity was replaced with MMO-style grinding for gold or useless items to buy your needed items with (or short-cutted by buying with real money... which removes all of the appeal of the previous games!).

So, despite all fanboi protestations to the contrary, Diablo III has been a bucket-o-fail from a purely game-centric perspective. And hopes for a radical change in a month require you to ignore the fact that they would have to change the entire design of the game to accomplish this...

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 10, 2012, 21:23 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 21:09:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 21:01:
And what does playing video games have to do with your sexuality? If the answer is anything other than "nothing," the problem might just lie with you (and not elsewhere)...

The problem isn't with gay people, it's all those other assholes who think that being gay is the problem. When they stop being assholes there won't be a need for organizations like this. Same with any group that gets hassled by assholes.

Funny, I've never seen, heard of, or even been a part of a game or gaming community that even asked the sexuality of the players, much less targeted gamers based on their sexual preference. How would I even know? Unless, of course, someone makes a big deal out of it...

Nice to see you are against harassing people based on their group membership! I agree. Which reminds me, I'm a little hungry. I think I'll go grab a Chick-Fil-A sammich...

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 10, 2012, 21:01 Eirikrautha

And what does playing video games have to do with your sexuality? If the answer is anything other than "nothing," the problem might just lie with you (and not elsewhere)...  

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >