Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt

68. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 16:56 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 16:20:
Creston wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 16:05:
Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:26:
Actually, tablets are the reason that corporations have to move to Windows 8. By this point most executives are carrying around tablets, but they can't do most of what they need to on them.

Behold: Surface Pro.

Do you even WORK in a corporation? Most corporations have their execs try out tablets, and get rid of them again in a few weeks because they can't get any serious work done on them.

Every single one of our execs wanted an iPad 2. Every single one of our execs has turned it back in, save one (who just gives it to his kid anyway) and have gone back to laptops.

Nobody who does any serious amount of work can get said work done on a tablet. A tablet is a toy, not a device to work 10 hours a day on.

Creston

Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 07:39:

iPads aren't quite there yet, to me actually really far, but I've never once met a person that thinks it can replace a computer. Not in real life. I've only met people that think they can be used for media consumption (which is how I use mine) or note taking (which is how everyone in my office tries to use theirs, though most people make it no more than two weeks before giving up.)

And that's me being more polite. The week before the iPad came out my boss at the time got his hands on one. He described it to me as the best note-taking device in the world. He then complained about it not having an arrow-up key, complained about a few other things, then said it needed an external keyboard. Best note-taking device my ass.

Much more recently, every damn exec at my current job bought an iPad some time in 2011. You'd see the stupid thing at every meeting the first week, a few meetings the second week, then never again.

But a funny thing happened - the company started giving them to executives. And it started "going green," meaning no more paper handouts at meetings. Execs were forced to bring their now-free ipads to meetings to read along with the discussion materials. And they started finding more uses for them. After a few weeks of being forced they were dependent. Our company isn't alone - this has become extremely common in larger corporations.

The thing is - iPads suck at this. You can't mark up the document you're following along with. You can barely even take notes, especially not without a stylus.

Surface Pro, being a full-fledged laptop in a smaller form factor, can change this. Hopefully the stylus issue is resolved, but more importantly they'll have access to the software they need. They'll be able to hook a mouse and keyboard up to it. It will be the only thing they'll need to travel. Rather than simply having a device to augment their laptop in meetings they'll actually have their laptop in meetings (something not really viable right now as you're then hiding behind a laptop.)
Will this work out? Who knows? We haven't seen anything but potential yet, but that potential is certainly far above what iPads are doing right now.

You're right about this (I've seen it in my industry as well). But it actually provides the evidence that defeats your earlier point about Microsoft's "rationality."

Microsoft has always had a very strong reactionary streak to them. Whatever they have innovated, they have copied twice as much to make up for it. The reality of this situation is that Microsoft has tried twice to get into the cellphone/tablet market and have failed both times (from an economic standpoint). So Win8 is their reaction to this.

Microsoft is attempting to create a tablet OS that is scalable and full-featured, for corporate customers who need to do work on them (and not just play Temple Run). While this is a very good idea, they have drawn the line at favoring the tablet aspects over the desktop aspects, hoping that will increase the desirability of the product. They have already forced compromises on the business users for the sake of the tablet market (Booting to Metro being the most obvious, but not the only one)!!!

You are absolutely right that this is about tablets. But that same argument shows that Microsoft is willing to gently shaft its business users (whoever posted the boiling frog analogy upthread is spot on) to react to what it sees as market trends. Just because a Microsoft exec tries to be "rational" doesn't mean he'll succeed...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Project Eternity Using Unity

9. Re: Project Eternity Using Unity Sep 22, 2012, 18:47 Eirikrautha

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 22, 2012, 15:52:
Not a very exciting list of game that uses the Unity engine.
List of games

I've been using the Unity3D Engine for quite a while. It's exactly what a small team needs... most of the attention can be on assets and coding features, as opposed to spending boatloads of time tweaking a 3rd-party engine (*cough* unreal *cough*) to do exactly what you want it to do. It's a handy middle-ware solution, especially when you don't want to have to reinvent the wheel...

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light

27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FTL: Faster Than Light Sep 15, 2012, 11:01 Eirikrautha

FTL FTW!

Seriously, though... I've played through like 10 times since yesterday already. First few I rushed through each sector, terrified of the rebel wave behind me. When I finally made it to the Last Stand... I got annihilated. Now I jump through as many locations as I can, skimming right in front of the wave, upgrading like mad. Now when I get to the end... I still get annihilated! Man, this game is hard!

Still, you've got to love the variety and the strategy. Just unlocked a cloaked ship... gotta go!

News Comments > More Big Picture Details

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 10, 2012, 18:37 Eirikrautha

Nighthawk wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 15:58:
Half Life 3 on a 70" screen?? Don't mind if I do

//once I get a 70" screen

Chances are a 150" screen will be affordable by the time Half Life 3 comes out...

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Event Underway

1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Event Underway Sep 8, 2012, 12:15 Eirikrautha

Does anyone still play this multiplayer? What if you held an "event" and nobody came...?  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs

35. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs Sep 7, 2012, 16:09 Eirikrautha

Must buy NOW!

Very little has scratched the turn-based-tactical itch lately...

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans

26. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 15:41 Eirikrautha

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:21:
As far as that link to the Valve controller, I really just can't believe that companies are so stuck on the current controller design that any type of "innovation" is nothing more than a rearranging of the buttons/sticks. It just makes no sense to me that controller designers are completely ignoring so much button real estate on the *back* of the controller. Hell, I've got 6 free fingers back there... give them something to do, and give my thumbs a little break.

You've hit the nail on the head. Every "controller" looks damn near the same... it's just a matter of where the second analog stick or somesuch will be placed. Give me something that is shaped to fit in my relaxed hand. Give me buttons that operate when pushed forward AND pulled backwards. Let me control by tracking my hand over a much smaller space than a Wii (for greater accuracy). Just don't give me another damn batman symbol with buttons all over it...

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 1, 2012, 18:24 Eirikrautha

Spektr wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 10:49:
to be honest I'd rather have a device that opens on a double screen like a big nintendo DS. Taking such a device to the beach would require a solid surface to rest the device on. One screen for commands ( the one for ebooks ) and one for display. A folding design that allows to make it stand upright.
Quick, patent your idea! Then you can sue everyone who makes a double-sided tablet and make millions without doing anything. American IP laws FTW!!! Deal

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

24. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 25, 2012, 11:56 Eirikrautha

You want to know why Windows 8 is bad for gaming? Observe:

The new Metro interface requires MS approval to register programs through it. It is also the most likely place a software developer will deploy its product (once Windows 8 becomes more widely used... especially if you want tablet compatibility). MS even tried to take non-Metro compiling out of Visual Studio Free.

So, when you have a developer who does a quick port (like, say, Namco), they will most likely port it as a Metro app. Meaning, say goodbye to your Dark Souls resolution hacks (as there is no way anyone will be able to jump through the hoops and expense to get that approved on the MS store!).

A closed shop means the DEATH of mods, hacks, and tweaks. It is the worst thing to happen to PC gaming in this century. Game, set, match...

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Rolling Out

25. Re: Diablo III Patch Rolling Out Aug 21, 2012, 12:38 Eirikrautha

Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 10:43:
The patch errata is the most interesting section of the patch notes. A SHITLOAD of small bugs have been added with this patch. Im thinking that its rushed because of the dumbass FUCK THAT LOSER comment.

Nah it was scheduled for this week long before he made the comments. Diablo 3 had a really good release window but its pretty crowded these days. I was going to reinstall this but Guild Wars 2 is in three days and Sleeping Dogs is tiding me over until then Assuming I get bored of either then Borderlands 2 comes out and Dishonored and so on. Oh well, at least there is no sub fee so I can just check back in whenever.

And that, sir, may very well be the REAL final nail in the coffin of the RMAH! Many in the gaming community have been worried that the success of Diablo3 might cause other publishers to look at the "always online" and RMAH aspects of Diablo3 and copy them. I think it would be very hard to argue that this Blizzard team (coming from WoW backgrounds) were looking to replicate WoW-type recurring income without a subscription fee (that may have caused even fanbois to esssplode!). They saw the RMAH as the replacement for the monthly fee.

The sentiment you have expressed is the bane of that model. Hopefully enough other gamers are like you to the point where Blizzard (and the other publishers watching) decides that RMAH is not a never-ending fountain of cash. Maybe this will help kill that model of game-development.

If you want to milk folks with a monthly fee, have the balls to do it in the open...

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Screenshots

36. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Screenshots Aug 20, 2012, 18:04 Eirikrautha

Suckage wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 10:32:
That looks like a cross between different jets. Are military designs trademarked too?

Yep. It used to be that most defense contractors were pretty lax about their designs, but over the past few years they have become exceptionally protective. A number of plastic model companies have been sued over even WWII vintage designs. Even though the US government buys F-22s, the actual "look" and design is patented (and copyrighted and trademarked) by Lockheed Martin... etc.

News Comments > EA Exploring Sale?

15. Re: EA Exploring Sale? Aug 16, 2012, 23:30 Eirikrautha

Someone in management saw the sales figures for Madden12, looked at Bioware's recent missteps, looks at the drop in COD sales (its competitor) and figures that bodes ill for the MoH release, and has decided to get out early. The pilot is usually the first person to see the mountainside...  

News Comments > More Diablo III 1.04 Details

38. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 23:51 Eirikrautha

Dades wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 21:38:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 21:05:
Still pissed legendary changes are not retroactive. I see NO reason for that at all other than blizz being the typical holes they always have been.

2 whole legendary items in all my time of playing, which I kept because while they are useless they are rare as fuck, so why not keep them. I don't have any legendary recipes, so the craft material isn't needed.Forced timesink is the only reason.

You can't retroactively change items from under peoples feet. Some of them paid money for them, it would be unfair and probably lead to a lawsuit. They also can't just give you a new version of an item without rerolling its stats which could make it worse for your character, this is mentioned right in the post. D3 sucks for many reasons but this isn't one of them.

But they could give you a choice. Put a button on the legendaries that you have to click in order for them to continue working (to prevent funky stuff down the road) "upgrade Y/N". If you hit Yes, it rerolls. If you hit no, it stays the same. At least then the crap legendaries would have the potential to be useful...

News Comments > etc.

2. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2012, 11:18 Eirikrautha

Here's the problem. It depends on the purpose of the player as well as the designer. If the player is playing in order to "learn" something or experience something, then the player will most likely appreciate the designer's desire to teach something or communicate something. If the player is playing for escape or pure enjoyment, he will most likely resent the focus being pulled away from his entertainment.

I especially like the author commenting that some people will be emotional about his ending, but others who "aren't in touch with their feelings" might not like it. It's a bit pretentious to declare that just because someone does not react to your ending the way you'd like them to that the fault lies with them...

News Comments > Remember Me Announced

20. Re: Remember Me Announced Aug 15, 2012, 10:28 Eirikrautha

Jerykk wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 02:33:
I like the idea of manipulating memories to get NPCs to do what you want. However, it looks like that is more of a gimmick than a fundamental gameplay mechanic in this game. The memory manipulation is basically a slightly interactive cinematic, with only one path to success.

Making the guy commit suicide should be only one of many different solutions. If your primary objective is to stop the guy from gaining power, there are many ways to do that. You could manipulate his girlfriend's memories and convince her that he was having an affair, causing her to speak to the media and ruin his reputation. Or you manipulate some random dude into thinking the target raped his wife and have him shoot the target during a public speech. Or you could convince someone that they are the illegitimate child of the target, which always creates a media sensation.

Agreed. Notice that there are only four choices in the memory, two of which you have to make correctly... and the game rewinds if you get it wrong! Likewise, there appeared to be no way to move down the street proper towards the target (there appeared to be a sensor screen or something), so you had to take the alley. The player was herded to the correct point, given four options, and spent most of his/her time watching a movie playback. Yechh...

News Comments > Op Ed

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:09 Eirikrautha

This columnist must have just finished reading 50 Shades of Gray, because has to be the most sadomasochistic article I've ever read. "Yes, punish me, publishers, for daring to play games on the PC. Oh, thank you, hit me again!" Whip

Granted, the fact that most games columnists/reviewers depend on publishers to make their money explains some of the battered-wife syndrome on display, but seriously? Buy a sucky port simply because we're happy they ported it? Wow, that's just awful precedent...

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Footage

12. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 22:35 Eirikrautha

Lorcin wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 21:02:
Stopped at about 1m when the giant fish tank got smashed and the protagonist didn't even stumble from the weight of the water.

I'd normally ignore that except the idiot commentator went "that's impressive".

update: went to check the time and then noticed the 100+ gallons of water disappear in <2 secs.

There's suspension of disbelief and just sloppy design. If they can't program a tank that big exploding why add it - and what does that mean for the rest of the game?

Yeah! And if you look really carefully, at least half of the water molecules in the water from the tank have an additional hydrogen atom!!!! That's right!

I mean, gameplay and story are one thing, but modeling H3O? Talk about a deal-breaker! I can only suspend disbelief so much... Rolleyes

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization

10. Re: Sunday Mobilization Aug 12, 2012, 20:05 Eirikrautha

killer_roach wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 19:51:
Dades wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 17:43:
Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:14:
Why are ebooks so damn expensive? Seriously.

They were cheap until about a year and a half ago when Apple decided to price fix with the publishers (google agency model ebook for more). Now a lot of books I bought for $8-12 are up at $16-20, the ebooks are often more than the hardcovers for fucks sake. All because the publishers are pissed at Amazon for beating them to the market and supposedly devaluing ebooks by selling them at reasonable prices.

One can only hope that this only precipitates the downfall of the major book publishers, who exhibit cartel-like behavior in ways the music and film industries could only dream of.

From your lips... Pray

The middle-man/agency model of business is failing wherever digital products are supplanting physical ones (RIAA, MPAA, eBooks, et al.). You'd think that the middlemen would begin to see the writing on the wall and start innovating. But, no... I guess it is easier to buy a few Congressmen to rewrite the laws for you...

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization

3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Aug 12, 2012, 16:26 Eirikrautha

It's getting really difficult to justify a $200+ e-reader when a simple e-reader will cost less than $100 and a full tablet is only $400-$600. B&N is chasing their tail here...  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

78. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 12:14 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 11:06:
It isn't because I disagree with your point of view, it's that your point of view is de facto disrespectful. You're arguing that other people deserve lesser rights than you. Why should anyone respect that?

You've stated that before, and I asked for quotes that prove it. You can put up, or be a liar.

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >