Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects

35. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 18:38 Eirikrautha

The next one should be Fallout: Detroit. It'll save money and development time, since they won't have to storyboard and do concept art... present day pictures will work fine as assets for a post-apocalyptic game!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines

105. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 18:26 Eirikrautha

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 17:29:
I think that's by design, based on the movie:

Ripley: "(This little girl) survived longer than (seventeen days) with no weapons and no training."

"Well that's great! Why don't we put her in charge!" </Bill Paxton>

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Trailer

50. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 13:25 Eirikrautha

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 12:04:
Suckage wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 11:50:
I backed this one as sort of an afterthought. I liked the idea but was unfam-

ima let you finish... but Wasteland is one of the best RPGs of all time!

OK, Kanye... that was actually funny!

News Comments > TTimo: id "Lost Interest Towards the PC"

18. Re: TTimo: id Feb 6, 2013, 15:59 Eirikrautha

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 00:29:
Screenshots don't do it justice: it has to be seen in motion.

Very true. On a screenshot you can't appreciate the texture pop-in or blurred focus field the way that id intended you to... Oh, wait... Confused

News Comments > Saturday Patches

1. Re: Saturday Patches Jan 26, 2013, 17:56 Eirikrautha

I understand that the update for DOTA2 has hotkeyed the most common insults, so you no longer have to type out "Go kill yourself, fag, you feeder!", et cetera. This'll improve the experience greatly!  

News Comments > PC Resident Evil 6 Gets New Mode

2. Re: PC Resident Evil 6 Gets New Mode Jan 26, 2013, 17:52 Eirikrautha

Is this the one that makes it fun?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 21, 2013, 09:15 Eirikrautha

OK... as much as I hate Windows 8 and the Xbox... there is no way Microsoft is going to bail on their console line. It gives them too much visibility. When you can stream Netflix, or watch MLB or NHL games on it via subscription, etc., it's become a media device as well as a gaming one. They'll never walk away willingly.

As for the PS4, the specs sound good... but it's the interface that matters. How many developers have complained about the complete mind-screw that is coding for the PS3? Will that get fixed, or have Sony just added 2 more cores to the mess...?

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns

55. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Jan 1, 2013, 11:08 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 04:53:
This is what I said in the last topic about this. Anyone playing a 3 year old Madden game isn't an EA customer, really. If they hold onto it that long they're less likely to pay $60 for current rosters and more likely to not care about rosters and either not really play online (because the community overwhelmingly moves to current rosters) or just buys the 2 year old version for $2.99, the going rate for a 2 year old sports game at GameStop.
Oh, really? How about those people playing NHL 2009? Since EA no longer releases NHL games on the PC, when they shut down online servers for NHL 2009 a year ago, all PC players were pretty much shut out of the online component permanently. There are quite a few people who would love to play a "modern" NHL game (see the forums on breakaway.net), in fact there a a large number of people modding present rosters into a 4+ year old game, simply because they have no other choice! They WOULD be EA customers... but EA doesn't want them.

So your statement about the people being cut off not being willing to pay for new games, not being interested in new rosters, and not playing online are demonstrably false in this case.... EA just doesn't care a bit about them...

News Comments > Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved

21. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 28, 2012, 09:30 Eirikrautha

Blue hit it exactly in the lead-in up top. Golfclap They can't manage the class balance enough to make it work. Since they still prioritize the RMAH, they have to keep the grind, which means overpowered effects (otherwise everyone would get slaughtered). Overpowered effects means little class balance. So when they had to choose between the RMAH and class balance... they shelved PvP in favor of the RMAH.

Screw creating good games; we need to create effective income streams!

News Comments > Op Ed

25. Re: Op Ed Dec 26, 2012, 20:05 Eirikrautha

Overon wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 15:40:
I don't know what you mean when you say what video games are "meant to be." They are meant to be whatever the developer/publisher want them to be. There are many types of books, some of them are written not to challenge fixed beliefs nor to buck stereotypes. But there are other books that do. Are books "sociological reform platoforms?" As long as media (games included) promote ideas, they are open to criticism of those ideas. You seem to want to carve out video games as the only media that shouldn't challenge stereotypes and fixed beliefs. I disagree with that.

Actually, video games are whatever the consumer wants them to be. A publisher can "publish" whatever they want, but only the consumers determine what is successful (despite all of the publishers' efforts to the contrary...). The vast majority of works of literature that "challenged" beliefs were complete commercial failures. The stereotype of the starving artist was invented for a reason. Most works we would look back on as "ground-breaking" were generally either unknown in their own time or very poorly received (see William Blake). Those that were commercially successful were almost always those that hid their challenges under layers of meaning. We only recognize them today because our culture has evolved to be closer to what those earlier authors and artists were advocating for. The folks that "challenged" in the opposite direction from what we believe today have faded into obscurity (see Rudyard Kipling).

Heck, perhaps the greatest stereotype and fixed belief of the day IS to "challenge" the beliefs of everyone (or at least the beliefs that you don't agree with... somehow I doubt you'd be promoting a game that had you kill off AIDS patients because their disease makes them less than human, etc.). What gamers actually care about are games that are enjoyable. If your game is not fun (or too preachy... which tends to suck the fun right out), then no matter what your great "ideal" is... the game is a failure. If you can sneak some moral or idea in... great.. so long as it doesn't detract from the fun.

Preachy books and preachy art tend to fail (outside the elitists who get their sense of self-worth by supposedly seeing what the great unwashed masses can't see), too. So how about advocating for fun games first, as there are enough difficulties for publishers to actually make one of those... without the great diversity checklist in addition...

News Comments > Op Ed

2. Re: Op Ed Dec 26, 2012, 12:55 Eirikrautha

So let's see here:

• Start a column decrying the way women gamers are treated with a stereotype of male gamers as clueless, loveless nerds -- Check

• Next, conflate various genres of games (including lumping casual games with console/hard-core games) in order to assert that women are becoming a majority of gamers -- Check

• Spend the next several paragraphs talking about yourself and your friends and how they are so terribly mistreated (mein kampf!), complete with the required "Men wouldn't have to put up with this!" -- Check

• Then finally, as an aside at the very bottom of the article, say something about an ACTUAL GAME. But briefly. -- Check

• I'm convinced, it's all a scam. There are no female games "journalists" at all... simply a handful of programs generating the same article recycling the same tired tropes over and over (someone must have stolen the software Activision uses to create the stories in the COD games... or EA's random Madden generator).

Seriously, though. All of her stereotypes are fine, because she's soooo oppressed and all, but don't anyone else dare use one! You know, if you want to be known as a gamer (or games "journalist"), then play games... or write about games. But when every statement you make is focused around the fact you have a vagina... it's hard for me to take seriously that you are angry that other people define you by the fact that you have a vagina...

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM

18. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:08 Eirikrautha

Paketep wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 11:59:
    nin wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 11:40:
    That AMA was a fucking RIOT to read!

I hope the devs were crying as they read it. :)

They work for EA. Tears are beyond them by now.

Actually, the executives at EA feed off tears. They especially like children's tears (because they taste so sweet)... Devilish

News Comments > Frontier Layoffs

12. Re: Frontier Layoffs Dec 17, 2012, 16:37 Eirikrautha

DangerDog wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 15:55:
    ...they got too greedy with this kickstarter, it should have made funding right now for a sinlge player only, graphical updated Elite. If it sold well then start your lofty MMO style Elite.

Ahhh, but they weren't trying to make an Elite game from kickstarter funds. They were trying to make quick cash to prop-up their finances while possibly attracting publisher attention. There's no way they could get publisher interest in a single-player space game. So they pitched a MMO, hoping to get the short-term funding plus publisher nibbles... and look what they have now...

News Comments > EVE Fanfest 2013 Ticket Sales

8. Re: EVE Fanfest 2013 Ticket Sales Dec 12, 2012, 15:52 Eirikrautha

speaking of EVE stories...

Errr, what? Is that even in English? This is why I've never been able to get into games like this... it's hard enough to learn the rules; I don't want to have to learn another f'n language in order to play!!!

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs

32. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 15:41 Eirikrautha

I don't care about the recommended system to play Crysis 3. What's the best system to pirate Crysis 3 on (since that's all PC gamers do, according to Crytek, et al.)... Ahoy

/troll Pokestick

News Comments > Chris Avellone Interview

3. Re: Chris Avellone Interview Dec 2, 2012, 17:54 Eirikrautha

We have the classic case of economic dissonance here. As a business (or industry) grows, more oversight of the company financials are necessary. The business gets too big for just a few people to keep track of the "money" side of the business, especially when the "production" side of the business is peopled by folks who are very good at producing their product (which is why the business becomes successful in the first place) and not financial whizzes.

So what does a company do? It hires financial "professionals," people whose expertise is in leveraging the money, rather than making the product that generates said money. As the company grows, so does the role of the financial guys... until most of the people making the decisions are money-men, not product guys. Then you see the slow slide from relevance that has plagued companies since time immemorial (see IBM for a perfect case study).

The same thing has happened to the games industry. At this point, the money-men run the industry, so, like Avellone says, the publishers start looking at the rate-of-return documents rather than the actual products (i.e. games) they are creating.

That's why Kickstarter and the indie scene are so refreshing. Here's hoping the big players can't find a way to stifle these new outlets for the actual creators (as the most common response of a dying industry is to try and destroy the competition by using its finacial clout to buy laws and regulators... see the **AA groups for the case studies on this)...

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Video Diary

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Video Diary Nov 30, 2012, 20:47 Eirikrautha

Rainbows and sunshine...

How about some actual gameplay footage of this in action? I mean, we have another Kickstarter space game with a single person developing it that shows more than this...

News Comments > Jailed Bohemia Interactive Devs Denied Bail

13. Re: Jailed Bohemia Interactive Devs Denied Bail Nov 17, 2012, 11:36 Eirikrautha

"I went home with a waitress,
    the way I always do.
    How was I to know
    she was with the Russians too?"

"I was gambling in Havana;
    I took a little risk.
    Send lawyers, guns, and money;
    Dad, get me outta' this!"

News Comments > Op Ed

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 6, 2012, 00:27 Eirikrautha

re: Kotaku - The lady bitch doth protest too much, methinks. Somehow we're supposed to pity game reviewers for all of the stuff they get from publishers, and understand how everyone involved in the whole Florence/Eurogamer mess are basically good people. Bullshit. It's just easier for the game companies to buy the reviewers that it would be for them to hire more P.R. weasels.

That's one of the best reasons to come to Blues. I know I'm going to hear the good and the bad of every game (and usually to hyperbolic extremes ), and I'll be able to make up my mind from that. That beats all the bought-and-paid-for game "journalists" in the business combined...

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Details Near

26. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Details Near Oct 11, 2012, 17:35 Eirikrautha

Err, Rockstar... how about you do RDR2 and put it on PC (in a decent port)? Then you'll get my money. Until then, you're dead to me...  

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 28.
    < Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >