Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews

20. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 8, 2013, 17:21 Eirikrautha

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 16:39:
I hope like hell you're single if you think a woman's purpose in life is to tend to your needs so you can do the things you want to do.
See that's where you're both wrong. It's not a woman's purpose to tend to my needs so that I can do whatever I want. It's everybody's purpose to tend to my needs so that I can do what I want!

Hey, where's my Obamaphone?

</peeking-around-corner-to-watch-the-knee-jerk-rage>

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Thunder Wolves Trailer

8. Re: Thunder Wolves Trailer Apr 8, 2013, 17:14 Eirikrautha

JoeNapalm wrote on Apr 8, 2013, 09:48:
Thunder Wolves? Really?

Thunder Wolves?

"Guys! I've got it! We'll make a helicopter game! It will be awesome, like...like Airwolf and Blue Thunder combined! Yeah! THUNDER WOLVES!"

*facepalm*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

OK... I'll admit that I actually laughed out loud when I read your post. The psuedo-operatic music in the trailer makes it even better...

News Comments > Op Ed

17. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2013, 14:53 Eirikrautha

What's so funny about this article is that it comes hard on the heels on another RPS article (Found here) that copy/pasted some random graphs about men's versus women's wages and then thundered on about how game companies needed to fix the problem now. Only, as was pointed out ad nauseum in the comments, the information he copy/pasted was inadequate to even frame the problem, much less act upon (and some posts even noted that the info might provide evidence that the problem is getting better!). Walker's response was a dismissive rant that called anyone who disagreed with him "idiots".

The fact is that this whole "social" focus of RPS is nothing more than mental masturbation. John Walker has no more expertise on this subject than you or I (and arguably less, in many cases)... he simply has a big megaphone for his opinions. Walker's no more knowledgeable or correct because he has a large platform than Bill O'Reilly is because O'Reilly has a TV show. BOTH are populist blowhards. And neither can handle disagreement, because their "understanding" of the issues is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Walker has hitched his wagon to a popular refrain (perhaps to show how "enlightened" he is... I don't know... that's his cross to bear). It's his website, so that's his prerogative. But don't expect blind deference simply because you've got something you feel strongly about. If you can't articulate why what you think is correct (because I couldn't care less about how you feel), then you're just throwing a tantrum. And this article is no more articulate of the intellectual case than the one I referenced above.

The herd of free-thinking minds is just sad, when you look at it objectively...

News Comments > Rhode Island Alleges 38 Studios Deception

9. Re: Rhode Island Alleges 38 Studios Deception Apr 5, 2013, 13:11 Eirikrautha

ldonyo wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 11:21:
Sounds more like a CYA ploy on the part of the politicians that approved the deal in the first place.
THIS!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

22. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 5, 2013, 13:08 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 12:29:
deqer wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 12:10:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 10:35:
I don't have an issue with always on

You like being owned, and being told how long you are allowed to play? Okay.

I'm not sure how either of those factor in. Specifically, how does always being on tell you how long you're allowed to play.

How and where? Sure. How long? Not really.
So, obviously, you've never played an MMO that had "downtime" for patches, etc? You've never played a game with a queue? You've never been bumped out of a game because your internet went down (even briefly)? You've never been unable to play a game because the servers were no longer running/supported?

All of those are valid examples of when an internet connection can limit "how long" you are able to play a game (both in terms of game sessions and game longevity)...

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer

8. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 20:58 Eirikrautha

ItBurn wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 19:35:
... but while it started strong, it quickly became boring and repetitive. I was at the end boss and couldn't be bothered to finish it.

This. What Bioshock did well was atmosphere and narrative. Once you get past that (which takes different amounts of time per individual), the actual mechanics were repetitive and uninspired for the most part. Once you lose the narrative (once again YMMV), the game really offers no reason to continue (or replay).

I give the developers full marks for their vision and storytelling. The actual game... meh...

News Comments > Maxis on SimCity: "In many ways, we built an MMO"

41. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 16, 2013, 18:25 Eirikrautha

El Pit wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 12:42:
Google Translate Bullshit-English:

"In many ways, we had this DRM and had do build a game around it. A small game. Now give us your money and deal with it."

Allow me a slight edit of your post, please:

"In many ways, we had this DRM and had do build a game around it and needed a well-known or beloved franchise to use to drive sales and acceptance of it. Like Diablo 3 did. A small game. Now give us your money and deal with it."

Thank you...

News Comments > Maxis on SimCity: "In many ways, we built an MMO"

32. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 16, 2013, 11:21 Eirikrautha

Quboid wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 21:22:
She was comparing how they plan to continually develop and add to the game to how an MMO typically continues to develop after launch. That's the context and as far as we know, she's right. Stop looking for sticks to beat EA with, there's more than enough real ones.

Yes, because ONLY MMOs continue to be developed after launch. I mean if only we had some kind of system by which developers could "patch" additional content into a game, or even fix problems with the game. And perhaps some brilliant developer could figure out a way to let gamers download additional content, or even "modify" the game themselves. Then we wouldn't need constant internet connections in order for the game to continue to be developed. So obviously Lucy Bradshaw is right that any game that continues to be changed after launch must be an MMO...

Dunce

News Comments > Game Reviews

19. Re: Game Reviews Mar 15, 2013, 20:23 Eirikrautha

Kythlyn wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 13:57:
Hi everyone, I'm the writer of the SimCity review on Gamer Horizon. For the record, I really did enjoy the game and did not receive a copy from EA.

For the review, I had to make a decision for how much detail to go into regarding bugs. I wrote 3000 words about the game itself, and increasing the size of the review for the sake of bug reports that would become inaccurate in a matter of days didn't seem like the right decision to make at the time. In fact, had I wrote down every bug, it would have only been a day before my review would have become obsolete as a result of SimCity Update 8 (www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/simcity-update-8).

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 13:41:
I mean.. R:C:I is BROKEN.. that is a MAJOR issue. No?

I felt at first like RCI was broken too (I always had maxed out residential and industrial demand), but when I slowed down and kept a closer eye on the information in the population panel, I found that it worked just fine. I was able to very carefully adjust the balance of my zones and wealth levels. That was actually part of what got me hooked on the game.

Anyway, I know opinions on this SimCity game vary widely, and that EA/Maxis have a lot of work to do on improving it. Personally, I still really enjoyed the game. But I appreciate everyone's feedback!

No offense intended (and I don't mean this personally), but your stated rationale for your review is abominable. Honestly, to say that "... I wrote 3000 words about the game itself, and increasing the size of the review for the sake of bug reports that would become inaccurate in a matter of days didn't seem like the right decision to make at the time..." is laughable. When I read a review, it is usually the prelude to buying the game. And if I buy a game based on your review, only to find out that the game I'm playing doesn't reflect the review you wrote (because you are trying to "future proof" your review), then I am going to lose all faith in your reviews and the site as a whole.

In fact, the most damning critique of this review is contained within your own words. If you wrote 3000 words about the game, I would expect those words to be roughly divided based on the percentage of the game that is described by them. Considering the serious bugs and broken systems, to spend a measly paragraph on the issues, with the rationale that you hope EA will fix them soon, is kind of embarrassing.

Once again, I don't want you to think that I am attacking you personally. I appreciate your courage in addressing the criticism here on BN. I just think your reasoning for your review is dangerously flawed. And I think using "faith" in a developer (especially when that developer has already failed to live up to its obligations pre-release) as a justification for reviewing a game that presently does NOT exist (at least as you describe it) is not good journalistic practice...

News Comments > Steam Top 10

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 16:14 Eirikrautha

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 13:39:
Watched the TotalBiscuit video of the Sniper Elite - Nazi Zombie Army
Looks pretty boring. He wasn't very excited about it either.
Wish this zombie wave in games would finally stop now and devs would move on.

The "zombie" thing will continue well after it is no longer popular... simply because it requires NO AI coding work whatsoever... You can pump out your art assets and just have them shamble toward the player...

News Comments > The War Z Returns to Steam; Refunds End

4. Re: The War Z Returns to Steam; Refunds End Feb 26, 2013, 21:37 Eirikrautha

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

You would have to have an IQ comparable to warm grape juice to ever trust these guys again... Dunce

News Comments > AMD's Hair-Raising Tech

32. Re: AMD's Hair-Raising Tech Feb 26, 2013, 19:57 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 12:30:
KS wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 09:55:
She looks nothing like earlier Laras, and is not even pretty.

Really? Obviously tastes will differ, but I think she's quite beautiful (weirdness of her being a videogame character ignored).

I'd take her home over Angelina Jolie, that's for sure.

Creston

That's just because if you slipped on the run-up to Jolie, you'd disappear... inside... Hole

News Comments > After Reset Announced

3. Re: After Reset Announced Feb 24, 2013, 11:28 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 11:10:
There aren't even close to enough books, films, and games to consider this genre oversaturated. I like the sounds of what they're doing except for the top down view. I hate TDV! Isometric or forget it dammit!

C'mon... with Fallout 3, Rage, Borderlands, Wasteland 2, etc. (and those are just some of the "big" names... there are lots of indie/smaller projects that leverage the post-apocalyptic "style"), you don't think a game company isn't making it a little hard to stand out by choosing this genre?

News Comments > After Reset Announced

1. Re: After Reset Announced Feb 24, 2013, 10:13 Eirikrautha

This might just be a genre that is reaching saturation...  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 16:45 Eirikrautha

Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 16:11:
Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 16:06:
Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 15:43:
Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 15:13:
I rarely apologize for companies. It's how it's viewed, but usually people are saying things like "they're trying to rape our unborn children!" and I try to explain how these decisions are made.

Rarely do people sit in a conference room and say "how can we fuck over our users?"

This, though, seems to be the result of just that.

I've seen this attitude here so many times, if you're not completely against something (typically MS or EA) then you must be completely in favour of it. A couple of times in the last 24 hours I've seen Eirikrautha explicitly exhibit this, by making accusations against you which show she/he thinks in nothing but extremes.

Wow! You're a regular Kreskin! Tell me what number I'm thinking of right now...

Whaaa...! How did you know!

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 16:44 Eirikrautha

I rarely apologize for companies. It's how it's viewed, but usually people are saying things like "they're trying to rape our unborn children!" and I try to explain how these decisions are made.

Rarely do people sit in a conference room and say "how can we fuck over our users?"

Honestly, though... you don't think it doesn't make perfect sense based on the direction modern software licenses have been moving? First, eschewing direct ownership and selling licenses. Then, time-limiting and site-locking (see the newest Windows license) the licenses, so that you are constantly paying for the software you used to pay once for and reuse on different computers. It's the logical progression.

The only issue here is timing. Microsoft is moving too fast (perhaps spooked by Apple's success with its closed software market)... but every move so far is perfectly logical, so long as you see software as a "service" and not a "product." That's what many have been warning about here on BN for a while.

Sometimes the slippery slope fallacy isn't a fallacy...

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 16:06 Eirikrautha

Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 15:43:

I've seen this attitude here so many times, if you're not completely against something (typically MS or EA) then you must be completely in favour of it. A couple of times in the last 24 hours I've seen Eirikrautha explicitly exhibit this, by making accusations against you which show she/he thinks in nothing but extremes.

Wow! You're a regular Kreskin! Tell me what number I'm thinking of right now...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 15:15 Eirikrautha

swedishfriend wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:59:
Consoles don't need as much power to get better results because programmers will get much closer to the hardware. The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles. They are saying don't upgrade until next year to be ready for the next generation of games...
No offense intended... but I'd need to see at least ONE such opinion in order to give it credence... much less the many you would need for a "consensus." And I haven't seen any. Except speculation from fanbois and pie-in-the-sky predictions from bought-and-paid-for console mags... and not even much of that.

Seriously, though, what console developer is going to honestly say, "Yeah, we're selling a mid-range PC in console form"? Of course there'll be some "secret sauce" touted by the console developers... but do you actually believe that? That AMD or NVidia are purposely letting performance suffer for the PC users that will magically be rectified just for consoles?

Sure, it's easier to write clean code when you know exactly what hardware you'll be coding for. But that doesn't necessarily equate with better performance...

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 18, 2013, 15:03 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 12:51:
swedishfriend wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 12:11:
office 2013 will be locked to a single machine? I don't think that will hold up to any push back whatsoever. Have to wait for updates? so MS wants to create an extra threat vector? if half its users don't go for the 365 version are they still going to treat 2013 users as second class? these possible warnings about office 2013 are all based on the assumption that 95% of the users will switch to a subscription model... We want to make things worse for you but better for us so won't you help make that happen by believing our FUD?

Their pricing heavily pushes people towards the online version.
I have no clue why they'd also make policy go towards it, too. Seems... heavy handed, stupid, etc.

Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. Really damn stupid.

Why is this stupid? It's the natural evolution of this business model. Once you have market dominance, lock the users into your products and monetize heavily. Count on inertia to prevent defections. It's intelligent business practice, and what any smart business would do to maximize its profits.</Beamer voice>

Actually, I agree with you. It IS stupid and heavy-handed. I assume they have some indications that this move will not change their business markets enough to cause mass defections to other software. I hope they're wrong. Every great defeat starts with a miscalculation on the side of the defeated.

Now... how did you get Beamer's password? He's gonna be pissed when he finds out you've been posting anti-corporate opinions under his alias...

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles

13. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:01 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:00:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 18:51:
So they were brainwashed by Microsoft's Xbox Division and now that they're on their own again, they still have that warped view of what the FPS genre should be. Great... Really makes me interested in the horse crap you're pushing (not).

Yes, it should be what the know how to do best and what they created one of the best selling video game series and titles of all time.

I love when people say "oh, so they're doing something similar to what made them beloved and rich? What idiots!"

Is it sad that I knew this post was from Beamer before I even looked at the name?

Dude, I HOPE to God you are getting a cut of some game company's profits, and not just parroting the corporate line for nothing. I mean, at least a whore is making money... but a slut is just a slut...

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >