Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > BattleForge Closing After Next Month

1. Re: BattleForge Closing After Next Month Sep 7, 2013, 10:24 Eirikrautha

Never played it. But I'm sure some people still do.

The question is, what if those people still want to play it? I can grab a copy of Starcraft I or Freespace 2 or any of the old games I might like to play again, install, and actually play. This game... not so much.

This is the real consequence of "Free-To-Play" and "Always-Online" games. The death of choice. Many of the games made today will be lost, because they are dependent on a developer and their servers to play. It's killing this industry and its consumers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed

1. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2013, 15:31 Eirikrautha

The decline of any medium is directly related to its celebrification (it's a word if I say it is!). Once the person becomes the selling point, as opposed to the product, the focus of the medium shifts from endeavors that improve it to endeavors that expose it.

The fact that anyone would consider a game designer a "star" or celebrity simply cheapens the entire genre. There is a difference between someone who is admired, respected, or acknowledged for his accomplishments and someone who is a gaming celebrity. The bigger the names get, the smaller the games get...

News Comments > Eschalon: Book III Teaser

3. Re: Eschalon: Book III Teaser Aug 18, 2013, 20:23 Eirikrautha

I bought Book II, and I must say that I was not particularly taken with it. Despite the fact that I generally like this style of RPG, Book II's mechanics actually got in the way of me enjoying it. I barely played it beyond the first several hours.  

News Comments > SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter

6. Re: SHAMBLES: Notch's One Week Shooter Aug 17, 2013, 14:44 Eirikrautha

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 12:14:
Coding in Java is fun, but soon as I see games written in such, I avoid, they are always slow and clunky. Language was never intended for game use.

Lucky for you, Unity 3D games aren't coded in JAVA. They are coded in Unityscript, which has a Javascript-like syntax, but which is also .NET framework compatible, or in C#. Whewww, right! Smackdown

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance

1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 17, 2013, 14:38 Eirikrautha

OK... I know I'm getting cynical in my old age. Proof: My first thought when it comes to the Miss Teen Whatever was "Hmmm. This would be a pretty good way to inoculate yourself against any nude pictures you had made and/or knew were out there."

My second thought was "Where do I find copies!"

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Space Hulk Aug 15, 2013, 23:31 Eirikrautha

btallas wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 23:20:
Whiskers wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 22:29:
Anxious to see feedback from people who give this a go. Hoping it's good.

Only games I've ever played in the Warhammer universe were the Dawn of War series and the failed MMO. I dig turned based strategy games so decided to take the plunge on this. Not real far in (did the 3 tutorial missions and just completed the campaign's second mission) but so far I'm really digging it. Haven't run into any game breaking bugs or crashes so far.

Thanks for the info... I'm still hesitating. I don't know why; this is right up my alley (or hallway, as the case may be). I'm just not sure the price is right for this. I'll wait to see what length/replayability it has...

News Comments > Arkane's Prey 2 Rumors Resurface

6. Re: Arkane's Prey 2 Rumors Resurface Aug 15, 2013, 23:06 Eirikrautha

According to Kotaku, one of the developers sent out the following email that was then leaked to them:

“Now that the news is out,
We’ll be contacted left and right by press sneak fucks who will want to know more.
Please don’t answer any of their requests.
Thanks”

Nothing like transparency and respect to build goodwill and trust, eh? This guy should work for the government!

News Comments > On Sale

19. Re: On Sale Aug 15, 2013, 14:37 Eirikrautha

nin wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 13:27:
Bluesnewsians

I like that word, it may need to be trademarked...

Hey, don't discount the difficulty of coming up with words to describe inhabitants! I had a roommate in college who was born on Guam. Do you know how hard it was to figure out what to call him? We tried Guamanian, Guamalian, Guamic, Guaman... but finally settled on Guamish!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

3. Re: Xbox launch markets Aug 15, 2013, 14:29 Eirikrautha

Julio wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 05:54:
I guess that's the country list who the NSA wants to spy on first.
I'll admit it... I LOLed!

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2013, 14:28 Eirikrautha

mag wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 01:01:
mag wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:09:
Ok.... what is "A midsize refrigerator" ? Like, the exact size and performance definition please, does it have a freezer? How volume, in litre? And how do they get to that iPhone power usage statistics? Because otherwise that article is like saying that my car uses more power than my hair dryer.

Stupid sensationalist headline. Or put differently, Click Bait. (I sadly clicked)

Funny: Chrome spell check does not know the word litre... quality wherever you look ^^

Litre=liter, in the US. Chrome knows the word, but not the spelling.

Which is surprising, given that a spell check should know the international spelling of a SI unit..... in fact Chrome doesn't know any of the (correct) international spellings for SI units. This throws me off every single time. Because liter and meter are the correct spellings for the German names of these units but not for the international names. Although meter and liter is probably something Americans understand if not comprehend as useful units ;p

Point is. Why doesn't this spell check know the international spelling of the words? For an american, liter or litre, meter or metre would both be correct to use and same applies for a German. Generally speaking we ought to strife to call units by their international names to begin with.

Just thought that odd. Though by far not the only odd thing with this thing they call a spell check.

Like, dystopian... it doesn't know dystopian dystopia dystopic utopian and utopic. Yet it knows utopia (which is a pretty dang bit weird). Did they get this dictionary from an insane asylum?

Litre and metre would still be considered incorrect in US-English, depending on whom you ask. Liter and meter are preferred. Same with analyze/analyse, everything similar, and so on. You can probably switch to the British-English dictionary if you prefer the other way.

Dystopia/utopia-wise, utopia is the older word by far. Dystopia's fairly recent (~1950), so I guess they might just be using a conservative dictionary as the base. Kinda would make sense. Or it's just a woefully incomplete dictionary. Also totally possible!

Yeah, you're on target. The original root (greek Metron meaning "measure" or "length") went into Old French as metre and Old English as meter (ironic, since the Brits spell it "metre," thanks to the Norman Invasion). So depending on whether or not your language is a Romance language and related to French, your spelling may vary. With the rise of US English as a primary language of commerce, expect to see US spellings begin to become normalized...

News Comments > Dark Souls 2 "Forging a Hero" Trailer

2. Re: Dark Souls 2 Aug 14, 2013, 15:23 Eirikrautha

Well... that trailer was a big nothing-burger.  

News Comments > AMD Gaming Evolved Evolves

3. Re: AMD Gaming Evolved Evolves Aug 14, 2013, 15:20 Eirikrautha

When I bought my last video card, I got Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider... then Blood Dragon as a special bonus! Considering the card saved me $135 worth of games (at retail price) and is a good value for the price, I kind of like this promotion!  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Adds 12-on-12 Combat

1. Re: MechWarrior Online Adds 12-on-12 Combat Aug 13, 2013, 23:04 Eirikrautha

Now more unbalanced mechs to alpha strike you per map! This is progress!  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 13, 2013, 13:05 Eirikrautha

I remember a time when the name "Bioware" would have immediately grabbed my attention, and I'd have click a link just on that name alone. How sad it is that the mighty have fallen...  

News Comments > WRC 4 Trailer

1. Re: WRC 4 Trailer Aug 12, 2013, 10:14 Eirikrautha

Mehhh.  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts

1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Aug 12, 2013, 10:13 Eirikrautha

Spore?!?!?!! Seriously? I used to think of the UK as a "gaming mecca." But Spore? C'mon, guys... that's worse than the Sims...  

17. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 11, 2013, 17:15 Eirikrautha

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 12:05:
NKD wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 04:24:
As long as there are plenty of food and toys, Americans will take anything and everything

Perhaps we could say that about a lot of civilizations. Food and toys (encompasses a lot) are pretty paramount to keeping people at bay. I'm not sure this is an American phenomenon.

Actually, I think the original term was "Bread and Circuses"... and it's the reason why history matters. Everyone likes to think that they could never be part of an evil society... but given the right circumstances and incentives, the average shmo will be goosestepping right along with his neighbors...

14. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 11, 2013, 11:09 Eirikrautha

Sepharo wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 05:11:
NKD wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 04:24:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 10, 2013, 15:58:
Reducing the amount of employees that have god-mode access to the most sophisticated and wide reaching spy system ever developed is a good thing no matter where you stand on the topic.

I'd rather have more human eyes on it than less. The only reason we know about this shit with any certainty is because there was a human who saw what was going on and decided it wasn't right.

You can do that without full access. A role could be created specifically to deal with review and oversight alone.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Diary and Video

8. Re: Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Diary and Video Aug 10, 2013, 10:56 Eirikrautha

Personally, I think the tablet commanders will be very useful. BF3 has always lacked the ability to intelligently distribute the hackers and griefers to where they are best utilized... errrr, wait...  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 10, 2013, 10:50 Eirikrautha

What Microsoft has never understood is that it is NOT the hardware that matters, it is the capability/price ratio that matters. (Normal) people don't care what OS the tablet is running, or what hardware is inside. They want to know "What can it do?" and "How much does it cost?".

WinRT will always fail when it is less capable than an iPad at similar price point, or more expensive than an Android tablet at the similar capability level. It's that simple. You need a tablet that can either do more than similarly priced competitors, or you need to be cheaper than similarly capable competitors. RT is neither, therefore it failed. Roll in the lack of an APP market (compared to IOS and Android), and it will never succeed.

SurfacePro might have a chance... but not at the present price-point. It's competing with laptops, whether it wants to or not (especially since many new laptops are including touch screens ... why, I don't know...). It's form factor hasn't been enough to overcome the price differences yet. Microsoft either needs to wait until they can get more value for their components, or they need to take an even bigger loss if they want to sell SurfacePros. That's reality.

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >