Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Battle Fleet 2 Announced

1. Re: Battle Fleet 2 Announced May 24, 2014, 14:22 Eirikrautha

Maybe for an iPad... but this is hardly inspiring for a PC gamer...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Grounded

3. Re: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Grounded May 24, 2014, 14:20 Eirikrautha

The Star Wars gaming curse continues. When the best you can muster is done with Legos, well, you may have a problem with the way you are using your IP (listening, Games Workshop?)...  

News Comments > Op Ed

58. Re: Into the Black May 23, 2014, 19:00 Eirikrautha

Overon wrote on May 23, 2014, 06:52:
Culture War!

Interesting observation. Of course, cultural diversity is hardly ever a concern. Instead, the focus is always on skin color or male/female. It's almost as if the folks who are stirring this up believe that someone's skin color or sex determines everything about him/her. I've heard other people say that kind of thing before; usually from under a white hood, though.

Compare an African-American and a Caucasian-American with an African-American and a Sub-Saharan African. Which pair actually are the most similar? It shows a massive parochialism to think that cultural differences don't dwarf any difference in melanin content (those folks that haven't ever left the Western world are amusing in their strident ignorance). Yet cultural diversity never gets mentioned (unless you are talking about the fine cultural variations between comparatively affluent Westerners). Why is that? My bet is that it doesn't provide as much possibility to make money or stroke one's ego as a straight focus on race or sex can provide...

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month

39. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 18, 2014, 15:05 Eirikrautha

jdreyer wrote on May 18, 2014, 03:27:
Slashman wrote on May 18, 2014, 01:18:
Prez wrote on May 17, 2014, 23:27:
I haven't put so much as a penny towards this yet, so it isn't MY 50 million bucks. I'll put 40 bucks out if and when the thing ships and isn't a complete train wreck. If that makes me an ex-star wars geek wannabe who has never had sex then okay. Kinda wondering where my son and daughter came from though...

The Stork?!?!? Idea

After he harvested enough mobs, the baby was brought down in a giant robot...

BABYFALL

You win... thread over!

News Comments > Telepath Tactics Trailer

1. Re: Telepath Tactics Trailer May 14, 2014, 20:22 Eirikrautha

Looks better than some of the earlier iterations of the art and game. It's moved up on my "might buy" chart...  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Watch Dogs

5. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 14, 2014, 20:18 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:45:
Simon Says wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:44:
"A next-gen experience" @ less than 1080p and 30 fps. XD

Yeah... right!

Because resolution and frame rate are the only defining qualities, or even most important defining qualities, of "next generation?"

It's called a baseline. Seriously, are you suggesting that "next generation" (which implies an IMPROVEMENT over the current generation) can include graphics that are substandard even in terms of older PC or console hardware? Even some PS3 and Xbox 360 games generated better framerates at higher resolutions with textures that don't look that much different than Watch Dogs.

Are you just trolling? Because that comment is ridiculous on its face...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

1. Re: Evening Consolidation May 14, 2014, 20:08 Eirikrautha

"Like the Donner Party."

OK, that was really funny!

News Comments > Game Reviews

13. Re: Into the Black May 12, 2014, 09:53 Eirikrautha

NewMaxx wrote on May 12, 2014, 08:20:
Meh, the entire series is overrated (much like The Witcher), made for people who like to pretend they are hardcore, adult gamers but really meant for them to wave around their Game of Thrones-esque epeens in alternating targets of newbs and fellow circle appreciators. Great, you like to engross yourself in a challenging, dark game world that is so different than the cookie-cutter casual candy land that you rally against as an effigy of the real world. Never mind that the community cultures behind these games are more akin to the workplace watercooler than the dungeon of the forsaken such gamers like to pretend it is. Instead of acting grown up, maybe you should just grow up. (applies to some of the players, not all)

That being said, if you're going to review a game like this you really should approach it as one of those players rather than as a generic gamer. It's meant for a particular audience and it is unfair to the artistic style and vision of the game to pretend it's something it's not. I'm all for some universal conventions when judging a game but you need to be open-minded in any genre of entertainment. I readily appreciate Dark Souls for what it has to offer, it certainly is unique, and while I get some of his arguments are valid he should have done some research beforehand. Then again, I guess many DS vets like to avoid the wikification of the game...but for newbs like the reviewer he should embrace all the help can get.
I was going to reply, but after this post, I have nothing left to say...

News Comments > Evening Interviews

15. Re: Evening Interviews May 3, 2014, 16:34 Eirikrautha

HorrorScope wrote on May 3, 2014, 11:26:
Hi Tim, but what are quests/choice and consequences at a coding level? If/Then, Case, Array or some form of programming derivative of those, or something else? Enlighten. Perhaps magic?

Heretic! Quests must be switch/case, not if/then!

Lulz...

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs

5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 3, 2014, 16:28 Eirikrautha

And it'll be overturned on appeal, then doubled at the appellate level, then voided again. Then Samsung will win a billion dollars in a lawsuit against Apple, have it reduced to $1.50 on appeal, then the Supreme Court will increase it to an award of 63 moss-covered, three-handled family gredunzas and a Happy Meal (TM).

By the time the lawsuits are done, Samsung will own Apple and Apple will own Samsung. Then they'll have to swap names and start the lawsuits all over.

A pox on both their houses...

News Comments > Op Ed

8. Re: Privilege Apr 23, 2014, 22:14 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 19:58:
Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 19:56:
Hmmm. So if I agree with the article, we have established there is a male privilege. If I disagree, according to the author, I'm simply proving that I'm in denial and that their is a male privilege. One of those times that the phrase "begging the question" is appropriate.

You do not think there is male privilege?

Typical.

Actually, you prove my point. I made no statement about the existence or absence of male privilege. I simply noted that the author's rhetorical strategy was one that assumed he was right regardless of the response he received. Much like you just assumed that I disagreed and that you were right without the slightest bit of evidence. That's not "argument" or "discussion" or even "thought"... It's just dogma...

News Comments > Op Ed

2. Re: Privilege Apr 23, 2014, 19:56 Eirikrautha

Hmmm. So if I agree with the article, we have established there is a male privilege. If I disagree, according to the author, I'm simply proving that I'm in denial and that their is a male privilege. One of those times that the phrase "begging the question" is appropriate.  

News Comments > 2D Prince of Persia Rumor

2. Re: 2D Prince of Persia Rumor Apr 17, 2014, 22:14 Eirikrautha

At this point, I'm not sure they can recapture what made the first PoPs successful. There's an institutional memory that gets lost over time (with turnover, tech advances, etc.). Plus, gaming has moved on somewhat. But good luck to them...  

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock

8. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 11:46 Eirikrautha

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 11:05:
If he didn't have the rights, how could he have been calling his game Elite:Dangerous all this time?

Even more surprising is that those rights were held by a freaking IT consultancy firm...

Anyway, good for him. He finally seems to have everything together to make another kick-ass Elite game, and I can't wait for it despite my initial skepticism.

Yeah, it's funny how I couldn't wait to kickstart Chris Roberts and then rolled my eyes when I heard Braben was doing Elite (again). Now my reactions are just about the opposite...

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Trailer

9. Re: Alien: Isolation Trailer Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 Eirikrautha

Darks wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 11:10:
I get what they are trying to do, but letís be realistic first of all. CRT was a way of life when those movies were made. No one had any clue or idea about flat panels or touch screens. This is the same thing that happened with Star Wars and the old Innovated technology when Lucas brought Star Wars up-to-date with the newer looking tech.

I personal feel these guys went in the wrong direction with this on the tech screens. This move takes place a few hundred years into the future. Just imagine what Tech will be like then.

It certainly isnít going to be some crappy ass CRT screens.

Please. Based on today's kids, it's more likely to be two hairless apes banging stones together...

News Comments > War of the Vikings Launches

3. Re: War of the Vikings Launches Apr 16, 2014, 10:00 Eirikrautha

Nooooooo! Don't they know?!? Never, EVER, go full Viking! Sure, you can have a few vikings in your game. That's ok. But full viking? It never works. People just won't buy it...  

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M

23. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 11:27 Eirikrautha

Verno wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 10:18:
I feel like the guy from Memento in these Star Citizen threads.

I feel like Mugatu from Zoolander: "They have no game yet! None! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! I invented the piano key necktie! Invented it! What have you done on this game so far, Chris Roberts? You've done nothing! NOTHIIIING! And I will be a monkey's uncle if I let you ruin this for me, because if you can't get the job done..."

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Premium Beta

43. Re: Elite Dangerous Premium Beta Apr 11, 2014, 06:06 Eirikrautha

Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 04:55:
harlock wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 01:53:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 22:32:
Lol Star Citizen twitch - Christ Roberts is a total clown - power pointed the crowd to death.

hah did you watch the pax reveal.. he sits down to show it off and plays for a few minutes, then the fucker crashes hard and locks up, hes sitting there banging on the keyboard while dramatic orchestral music plays through the PA.. then just sits back and chills out while they try to tech support it for like 10 min

fucking classic man, pure comedy

it looked pretty cool when it was working, but damn.. good luck with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg7FeQ-Hflg

Ouch. Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong. That said, the game is still a long ways off and I'm pretty sure they'll fix most of the bugs.

This was on my "watch" list until I watched that live stream. 30 minutes late starting, no ability to skip the cutscene at the beginning (when he crashed the ship and had to restart) which wasted time showing something we'd just seen again, hard-locks, windows popping up...

At this point, CR just looks inept. You always bring your most stable build, even if it doesn't have the latest bells-and-whistles, when you go to show your software off. Which means this IS their most stable build (or all they have). Not encouraging at all...

News Comments > Space Noir Trailer

2. Re: Space Noir Trailer Apr 7, 2014, 21:08 Eirikrautha

Oh. My. God.

Look at how slow the "space ship" moves. Look at how limited the consolitus-based movement is. Look at the obvious easy-mode enemies (who should smoke a nearly static "space ship" very quickly, but instead fly in circles and occasionally shoot a single shot at it). I what universe is this considered a good game?

DO NOT WANT!

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access

2. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Early Access Mar 30, 2014, 15:49 Eirikrautha

Early access is going to be the death of this industry. It's giving up a feast tomorrow for a sandwich today...  

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >