Limit Results:

696 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    35  ] Older

Re: Ubisoft Misconduct Investigation Follow-up
Jun 27, 2020, 10:32
Re: Ubisoft Misconduct Investigation Follow-up Jun 27, 2020, 10:32
Jun 27, 2020, 10:32

Suckage wrote on Jun 27, 2020, 06:20:
They aren't all based in France, though. I'm not sure what Canadian rules are for this type of behaviour. I would imagine that they're similar enough to what you find in the USA?

Well, many US states have what is called "at-will employment." This means that you can be fired for any reason (your employer didn't like your new haircut, etc.), unless the reason for firing is prohibited by law (usually based on race, sex, religion, or some immutable characteristic so identified by the law). So, honestly, in the US, unless you are fired for a handful of legal reasons, pretty much anything goes.

Re: Ubisoft Investigating Misconduct
Jun 26, 2020, 15:01
Re: Ubisoft Investigating Misconduct Jun 26, 2020, 15:01
Jun 26, 2020, 15:01

Beamer wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 11:46:
Any devs who are smart these days won't harass coworkers. He certainly won't compliment her appearance or anything physical, because that's creepy as hell, and he won't ask her out, because there will ultimately end up being some kind of power dynamic there, even if just over time, and because no one feels comfortable having to work day in and day out with someone that they rejected. Or dated and then broke up with. Smart people know that apps are where you get laid, and dating in the workplace is a disaster you shouldn't want to deal with, because who in their right mind wants to combine work and pleasure?

https://www.bustle.com/p/where-people-are-actually-meeting-their-partners-today-45616

Work is second highest (at ~ 15%) in that survey. It always has been a normal place to meet people. The fact that some people can't imagine a relationship with a coworker that isn't creepy or abusive says more about them than it does anything else. I've long believed that the reason most woke women report high levels of abuse and creepy behavior among the men they know is because it is true. The men they hang out with probably are creeps and abusers. What better place to hide your abusive tendencies than by trumpeting how woke and "for women" you are? It's like the evangelical who seems obsessed with how awful being gay is...

Re: Ubisoft Investigating Misconduct
Jun 26, 2020, 14:54
Re: Ubisoft Investigating Misconduct Jun 26, 2020, 14:54
Jun 26, 2020, 14:54

Dev wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 13:48:
WaltC wrote on Jun 26, 2020, 11:24:
It's crazy--these days, in some places if you compliment a female or ask her out for coffee or a beer it sometimes brings on complaints of sexual harassment--it's not, of course.
Bzzz wrong. While that first part you say is correct, that last bit is not.

[url=https://www.dol.gov/agencies/oasam/centers-offices/civil-rights-center/internal/policies/workplace-harassment/2012#:~:text=Workplace%20harassment%20may%20also%20consist,as%20being%20fired%20or%20demoted).]Text for your Link[/url]

Harassment can include "commenting on physical attributes" which guess what, compliments can do.
ALSO, "subjectively abusive to the person affected"

Note that word subjective. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU DON'T CONSIDER IT HARASSMENT. What matters is if she does.

Which makes sense if you think about it. People who harass or abuse frequently don't consider what they do to be harassment or abuse.

From the document, which you obviously didn't even read:

Second, the conduct must be:

- subjectively abusive to the person affected; and
- objectively severe and pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would find hostile or abusive.

Saying "That dress really looks nice on you" or "You have beautiful brown eyes" is not harassment, unless it is repeated frequently, becomes vulgar or offensive in nature, or the subject asks you to stop. I have to take a harassment training every year at work, and the training is very clear that unwanted compliments are not harassment unless they continue after being told to stop or become vulgar or suggestive in nature. Harassment requires either a single, extreme event or a continuous pattern of unwanted attention. A handful of compliments (especially when no objection is raised) is black letter not harassment.

Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment
Jun 25, 2020, 16:33
Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment Jun 25, 2020, 16:33
Jun 25, 2020, 16:33

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 15:12:
Changing corporate culture is hard. You do need both grassroots and C-level action to change it. Simply moving our company from waterfall to agile (something far less controversial than this) has been going on for four years and isn't even half way completed. People don't like change, or they don't see the need, or they have a vested interest in not changing, or they don't even know how to be different. I'm not sure her idea of "top down reorganization" would even work, but it's a pipe dream because it's not going to happen. No company will agree to it. She's just spitballing, but she's not wrong that bandaids won't work. But they have to change, b/c right now it's a shitshow. I'm sure there are experts out there who have done this at places and have techniques to accomplish it, but I have no idea what those look like.

Thank you for your reasoned and thoughtful response. Even on Blues, the signal-to-noise ratio of the commentariat is getting to be uselessly low, and it's nice to actually discuss something intelligently. All the usual suspects tend to do is preach at you or insult you.

I agree, changing corporate culture is hard. And, even worse, it is sometimes antithetical to business success. Sometimes the culture sparks the company in a way that a different structure could not. You see it every time a founding group of designers move on from a game company. Culture matters, and this is especially true in artistic endeavors, as well.

But, assuming you could change the culture and not kill the company, I don't think that any experts have actually found a way to do so in this case. If they had, they would have been trumpeted in every business magazine on the planet. I think that's the real problem. There's no way to do this quickly. You don't develop a talent and experience pool overnight, and the folks who want the change to happen now aren't amenable to plans that don't have boardrooms that "look like America" tomorrow. Instead, you get people promoted who aren't ready (because they don't have the talent or experience, and there aren't enough with the talent and experience yet to fill every opening), which just is counter-productive. What's the best way to convince a bigot he's right? Make his boss a person he hates who is obviously in over their head. Now he doesn't have prejudice; he's got evidence.

Honestly, this is a society-wide issue. Our economic system has worked so well to provide people with instant gratification and single-generation rags-to-riches stories that everyone assumes every need or want can be fulfilled immediately. Except you can't rush experience or knowledge. You can't create an interested population with the drive to succeed in that endeavor in a day. So no long-term strategies, no matter how successful, will ever be good enough. It's almost a law of nature at this point...

Jun 25, 2020, 15:01
Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment Jun 25, 2020, 15:01
Jun 25, 2020, 15:01

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 13:59:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 13:34:

I'm always amused when I ask a question that the usual suspects can't answer. Then you get the deflections (focusing on the aside in parentheses and ignoring the actual substance of my comments), the dodging ("we explained it sooo many times," yet no one has ever seen these explanations and said explanations don't actually address the point), and the ad hominems ("if you don't agree with me, you are mentally incapable"). How about just answering the questions? Because you can't...

You're asking me what executives in an industry I'm not a part of will do, with you asking from a place of either confusion or willful ignorance

We need to step back with you. Ground you in reality, rather than the strawman fiction you think everyone else is in. Let's take privilege, since you start there. And I'll put it in terms you know.

Imagine an RPG like Fallout. Everyone has their stats. You have a 10 in intelligence. It's wonderful. You get to walk through a ton of situations with an intelligence check. Hell, you can talk your way through the final battle. It's excellent! Bob has a 1 in intelligence, and well, you absolutely have intelligence privilege over him, right? There are situations where your intelligence lets you walk through but his does not.
But let's say you're a 1 in everything else. Bob, however, is a 10 in everything else. So even though you have intelligence privilege, is the game easier for you? Doubtful. Some situations are, but not all.

That's like white privilege. Some situations are easier because you're white. A significant amount. All other things being equal, life will be better for you. But, of course, not all things are equal. Still, some things are absolutely better. Black celebrities discuss being pulled over by the police in their neighborhood, simply for driving in it, multiple times a month. White celebrities don't have that. Things being equal except race, being black means you're stopped by the police for nothing at all much more frequently.

If there are no benefits to being white, or being male, if you were to wake up in your bed tomorrow, put on your shoes, and go to your job, would you be ok if you'd woken up a black woman instead of white male? Do you think your life would be the same?

So, to the question, how do you fix it? Do you "top-down reorganize" the corporation by putting Bob in charge? I'll grant you that people have different experiences, cultures, economic realities, and other circumstances that affect their performance. So how does the industry fix this (you know, the point of the article)? Does it require a "top-down restructuring"? What would that look like?

See, I don't give a damn how we got to this point. That's in the past and can't be changed (no matter how many statues you pull down). How do we proceed from here? That's the question certain folks are always loathe to answer, either because they don't know how (and are just virtue-signalling their allegiance to the idea of the problem without caring about fixing it), or because they know that their solutions won't work to fix the problem (but will benefit themselves or their ideology). So what should EA, Riot, Twitch DO to solve this problem. Because no one needs you to endlessly bitch about what's wrong. Help fix it! Describe what the fix will look like.

Jun 25, 2020, 13:34
Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment Jun 25, 2020, 13:34
Jun 25, 2020, 13:34

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 12:30:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 25, 2020, 12:14:
Primalchrome wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 22:26:
I realize that the 'bootstraps' mentality is pretty well ingrained in American culture....but I can't for the life of me figure out why people are so brittle that they can't admit that *most* successful people's lives are built on a much larger cooperative effort. Family. Inter generational wealth in the form of money/knowledge/culture/skills/contacts. Social circles. Community resources. Hell, even something as simple as having parents that helped you participate in extra curricular activities.

Why is it so hard to see that some people just happen to have better access to some of those things as a result of their race, sex, genetics, health, geographic location, economic status, or being of a certain archetype? It's not like recognizing it diminishes anything someone else has achieved.

Ehhh, most people don't disagree that some people have better access because of their circumstances (though many might disagree on which circumstances. I find it humorous when someone asserts that Malia Obama has life worse because she's black than a white son of an Appalachian coal-miner. Economic advantages are generally the most important, followed closely by cultural ones). What we disagree on is the solution to the problem. Somehow the radicals on this board seem to believe that recognizing there is a problem automatically means that their stupid solutions are the only possible remedy.

See for an example, this quote from the blurb: “I think there really needs to be this top-down reorganization,” she said. “Setting up a diversity committee is not going to solve this problem.”

So what does "top-down reorganization" mean? If it means choosing to find women of equal talent and experience to the men as new hires and promotions, then not many people would argue. But the problem is, in this industry, that the demand for experienced and qualified women outstrips the supply. So do you then promote less qualified women over more qualified men? Do you ask women to start the long, arduous process of working their way through the company to be qualified, and know that it will take a while to fix the problem?

"Top-down reorganization" sounds a lot like "pick a woman who has not accomplished as much as her male peers and, simple because of her sex, put her in a leadership position." And that's not sexist, somehow. If that's not what it means, I'm open for alternate translations...

Literally not a single person says all black people have life worse than all white people, so your weird point about Malia Obama is incorrect and this has been explained to you at least 3 dozen times here.

At some point, you misunderstanding a point is your fault, not society's. Whether willful or mental incapacity, you seem to just never get it. That lack of ability or willingness to understand leads to you consistently being outraged and offended.

I'm always amused when I ask a question that the usual suspects can't answer. Then you get the deflections (focusing on the aside in parentheses and ignoring the actual substance of my comments), the dodging ("we explained it sooo many times," yet no one has ever seen these explanations and said explanations don't actually address the point), and the ad hominems ("if you don't agree with me, you are mentally incapable"). How about just answering the questions? Because you can't...

Jun 25, 2020, 12:14
Re: Women in Gaming Speak Out About Sexism and Harassment Jun 25, 2020, 12:14
Jun 25, 2020, 12:14

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 22:26:
I realize that the 'bootstraps' mentality is pretty well ingrained in American culture....but I can't for the life of me figure out why people are so brittle that they can't admit that *most* successful people's lives are built on a much larger cooperative effort. Family. Inter generational wealth in the form of money/knowledge/culture/skills/contacts. Social circles. Community resources. Hell, even something as simple as having parents that helped you participate in extra curricular activities.

Why is it so hard to see that some people just happen to have better access to some of those things as a result of their race, sex, genetics, health, geographic location, economic status, or being of a certain archetype? It's not like recognizing it diminishes anything someone else has achieved.

Ehhh, most people don't disagree that some people have better access because of their circumstances (though many might disagree on which circumstances. I find it humorous when someone asserts that Malia Obama has life worse because she's black than a white son of an Appalachian coal-miner. Economic advantages are generally the most important, followed closely by cultural ones). What we disagree on is the solution to the problem. Somehow the radicals on this board seem to believe that recognizing there is a problem automatically means that their stupid solutions are the only possible remedy.

See for an example, this quote from the blurb: “I think there really needs to be this top-down reorganization,” she said. “Setting up a diversity committee is not going to solve this problem.”

So what does "top-down reorganization" mean? If it means choosing to find women of equal talent and experience to the men as new hires and promotions, then not many people would argue. But the problem is, in this industry, that the demand for experienced and qualified women outstrips the supply. So do you then promote less qualified women over more qualified men? Do you ask women to start the long, arduous process of working their way through the company to be qualified, and know that it will take a while to fix the problem?

"Top-down reorganization" sounds a lot like "pick a woman who has not accomplished as much as her male peers and, simple because of her sex, put her in a leadership position." And that's not sexist, somehow. If that's not what it means, I'm open for alternate translations...

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After
Jun 24, 2020, 13:55
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 24, 2020, 13:55
Jun 24, 2020, 13:55

GothicWizard wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 16:20:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 12:50:
GothicWizard wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 10:56:
Even the IMPLICATION that because they were drinking that justifies it is WRONG. Period. So again, what the fuck is wrong with you for defending that?
Agreed. In fact, she admitted that he had been drinking heavily, too. Therefore, she is also guilty of inappropriate conduct with an intoxicated person. Right? Or does his intoxication not count? Are you suggesting that a man is responsible for his actions while drunk, but a woman is not? You're saying a woman is not capable of being as responsible as a man?

What's wrong with you?

If she tried to take advantage of him, under the influence or otherwise, and the only reason she didn't was she couldn't get him hard (equivalent of him only stopping because he realized she was on her period), then yes she is 100% in the wrong to. And I'd be shouting in his defense. However she wasn't trying to take advantage of him. So false equivalency.

Not a false equivalency at all. If he was drunk, he was unable to consent to sex with her. That's the standard, right? Her charge against him is not that he raped her (in fact, she confirms there was no sex). Her charge is that he wanted to have sex with her while she was drunk. Unless wanting to have sex with someone who doesn't want to have sex with you is sexual assault, the crime he committed was to attempt to have sex with a drunk person (because her drunkenness prevented her from being able to consent). Well, he wasn't able to consent, either, right? He was drunk, correct? I find it very interesting that you would hold him to a different standard than you do her. Must be misogyny... obviously she can't be held to the same standard because she is a woman, right?

Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After
Jun 23, 2020, 12:50
Re: Chris Avellone No Longer Contributing to Dying Light 2 or Bloodlines 2 After Jun 23, 2020, 12:50
Jun 23, 2020, 12:50

GothicWizard wrote on Jun 23, 2020, 10:56:
Even the IMPLICATION that because they were drinking that justifies it is WRONG. Period. So again, what the fuck is wrong with you for defending that?
Agreed. In fact, she admitted that he had been drinking heavily, too. Therefore, she is also guilty of inappropriate conduct with an intoxicated person. Right? Or does his intoxication not count? Are you suggesting that a man is responsible for his actions while drunk, but a woman is not? You're saying a woman is not capable of being as responsible as a man?

What's wrong with you?

Re: Tencent Confirmed as New System Shock 3 Developer
May 21, 2020, 16:32
Re: Tencent Confirmed as New System Shock 3 Developer May 21, 2020, 16:32
May 21, 2020, 16:32

I don't know why people think that Tencent will do a good job with this. Why would they know anything about malevolent and censorious government-designed AI/cybersystem that seeks to subjugate or destroy human opposition?

Ohhhhhhh...

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Features Junk Customization
May 7, 2020, 13:03
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Features Junk Customization May 7, 2020, 13:03
May 7, 2020, 13:03

Slick wrote on May 7, 2020, 08:16:
Reminds me of the best argument I've heard against homophobia. Can't remember which comedian said it but: "Everyone's a little gay, I can prove it. You sir, your'e a red-blooded american man, you watch porn right? Of course you do. When you're watching a scene, but you like it if the man has a tiny thin penis? NO! You want a big fat cock! See? You're a little gay!"

That was said by Joe Exotic to pick up his first husband. Probably not the best role model... Rolleyes

Re: Kotaku - Major Video Game Companies Could Be Doing More For Covid-19 Relief
Apr 28, 2020, 10:38
Re: Kotaku - Major Video Game Companies Could Be Doing More For Covid-19 Relief Apr 28, 2020, 10:38
Apr 28, 2020, 10:38

Ahhh, just like Kotaku and it's ilk. So concerned about what others could be doing, but never once do their minds turn to themselves and what they could be doing. So quick to demand other people spend their money. Reason number 4521 why no one should pay the slightest bit of attention to these whiny, entitled, nobodies who write for these sites...

Re: Riot Looking to Prevent Harassment in VALORANT
Apr 27, 2020, 09:23
Re: Riot Looking to Prevent Harassment in VALORANT Apr 27, 2020, 09:23
Apr 27, 2020, 09:23

Beamer wrote on Apr 26, 2020, 22:25:
bigspender wrote on Apr 26, 2020, 21:24:
theglaze wrote on Apr 26, 2020, 16:50:
I watched the clip... such a bizarre world we live in.

Riot has created a game in which it encourages violent execution of human-like characters with firearms for competitive sport. And that's acceptable.

LOL are you serious? I've never heard of anyone being an anti cartoon violence advocate on a games site before. Are you worried cartoon characters might get hurt in real life? What about bugs bunny cartoons is that animal abuse?

Yeah I watched the clip too. She isn't being harassed for being female, as they try to claim. She was being hit on by a minor. Sexism was not involved, so I don't know why they are framing it that way.

So you're saying the minor would be treating her the same way were she a male? Ok.

So you're saying the woman would be reacting the same way were the minor a female? Ok.

Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries DLC Plans Shift
Apr 26, 2020, 16:37
Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries DLC Plans Shift Apr 26, 2020, 16:37
Apr 26, 2020, 16:37

GinRummy wrote on Apr 26, 2020, 14:35:
I had to look this up, since I can never remember the difference between Mechwarrior and Battletech. Big piloted clunky robot machines fighting each other.
Battletech (the recent video game) is an indie game by the tabletop game's creator (among others) that is turned-based and quite well executed. Mechwarrior 5 is a cash-grab by Piranha games, reusing much of their multiplayer game's assets in a buggy, awful UI-ed, and uninspired game that sold-out its fans to be an Epic exclusive. Just FYI.

Re: Riot Looking to Prevent Harassment in VALORANT
Apr 26, 2020, 16:27
Re: Riot Looking to Prevent Harassment in VALORANT Apr 26, 2020, 16:27
Apr 26, 2020, 16:27

1st - Who above the age of 12 uses the word "gross" (and isn't German)?

2nd - Surprised to see that this is a case of actual harassment. Considering Riot's paymasters, I figured it would be banning someone because they referred to the "Wuhan China Flu" online...

Re: Desperados III in June
Apr 21, 2020, 12:58
Re: Desperados III in June Apr 21, 2020, 12:58
Apr 21, 2020, 12:58

Looks like Shadow Tactics. I enjoyed Shadow Tactics, at least the concept of it. Part way through, though, it became obvious that there was usually one good way to solve the "problem" of that level. Once you deviated, you ended up in a dead-end that meant you would either have to get really lucky or you'd have to start over. It lost its luster after that. I'll put this on the radar. If it truly (as opposed to PR-speak) has multiple approaches to each level, I might pick it up...

Re: Six Temples Early Access
Apr 18, 2020, 11:38
Re: Six Temples Early Access Apr 18, 2020, 11:38
Apr 18, 2020, 11:38

My response to that video:

Blood sprites don't make sense when you hit a skeleton...

Re: Free and Free-to-Play Games Roundup
Apr 18, 2020, 11:35
Re: Free and Free-to-Play Games Roundup Apr 18, 2020, 11:35
Apr 18, 2020, 11:35

RogueSix wrote on Apr 18, 2020, 10:40:
Numinar wrote on Apr 18, 2020, 01:16:
Heuy is so much fun. Would have had no chance leaning it but my Dad worked it out by flying every day for a month and gave me the crib notes on how to trim it and keep it vaguely in control and not tearing up the transmission/engine whatever, otherwise it's like the old Bell in Flightsim, good for takeoff and flying fast but the second you want to slow, hover or land trouble! Can't wait for supercarrier the navy planes are already the most fun in DCS. F14 is the closest I'll get to a macross plane and I will never learn any of the fancy systems but that dosn't matter as getting them traps (Occasionally succesfully) is the most fun ever.

You might know this already but DCS is going to have a free "try and fly" MONTH starting tomorrow. The only two planes that won't be free to fly are the F-14 and the Saab Viggen. Everything else will be ready for takeoff at a button press.

In view of last months response, we are pleased to announce our upcoming Free For All event, starting April 19th, where you are welcome to try any and all our products (except campaigns) for free and without limitation for one month. This unlimited access to all our suite of products, including our top fighter jets, such as the F-16C, F/A-18C and A-10C Warthog will help take your mind off things for a while, giving you the opportunity to try something new, and to own it for 50% or less than the normal price.*

*Exclusions and comments:

All campaigns, F-14B and AJS-37 Viggen will not take part. JF-17 Thunder will have a 15.00 USD discount.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2020-04-17_FT_MONTH/

Unfortunately, the only one I don't have is the F-14. It doesn't look like it will be discounted, either, so I guess I'll wait a little longer. It takes so long to get competent at flying any of the airframes that I can afford to wait for a deal, even if it takes years.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Apr 16, 2020, 15:17
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 16, 2020, 15:17
Apr 16, 2020, 15:17

jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2020, 21:33:
Remember, each vote in Wyoming counts as much as 3.5 votes in California.

Based on a number of people I've met from California, the California votes are still overvalued...

Re: removed
Mar 19, 2020, 11:21
Re: removed Mar 19, 2020, 11:21
Mar 19, 2020, 11:21

Blue wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 10:56:
This is touchy stuff without name calling and character assassination... disagreeing with you does not make someone a shill.
OK. But he is an Epic "evangelist", and I dare say he'd admit to it. I still think believing the numbers coming out of China is ... unwise...
696 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    35  ] Older