Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 664 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Alien Game Tease?
6. Re: Alien Game Tease? Jan 5, 2019, 18:51 Eirikrautha

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 17:15:
El Pit wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 16:28:
Please make it a game where we can actually FIGHT the aliens instead of constantly running away from them with the aliens magically finding you wherever you hide. Thank you very much, indeed.

But then it wouldn't be an Alien game anymore but just a random alien game...

They wouldn't need the Alien brand if they wanted to make a random FPS where you shoot aliens in the nutsack.

Aliens would like a word with you...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on the Star Control Legal Battle
21. Re: More on the Star Control Legal Battle Jan 5, 2019, 18:24 Eirikrautha

Prez wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 04:00:
Their statement, specifically the "substantially similar to and/or derivative of" makes me just shake my head. Being similar and or derivative is not a breach of copyright. Never has been, and hopefully never will be. But everyone hates Brad Wardell so let's ignore the fact that this could set a legal precedent that could basically destroy gaming.

“William Roper: “So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!”

Sir Thomas More: “Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?”

William Roper: “Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!”

Sir Thomas More: “Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!"

--Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 22, 2018, 11:17 Eirikrautha

LurkerLito wrote on Dec 22, 2018, 10:50:
Prime 2 day is most definitely not dying. I haven't had an issue with it except one time when the delivery person dropped a package off at my neighbor's house by mistake. Not really Amazon's fault. The article seems more than a little whiny. One missed 2 day prime delivery during the Christmas holiday rush means 2 day delivery is dying? WTF man, you write an article like that after it's happened to you 10x in a row, but after one miss and an inconvenient trip to your local drug store, seriously STFU.

These are the same whiny fucks that accuse everyone else of being "entitled." Self-awareness is not their strong suit...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 18, 2018, 16:20 Eirikrautha

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2018, 13:19:
Red886 wrote on Dec 18, 2018, 13:15:
memes are so dangerous cause they cut too close to the truth

ban memes now! /s

Waiting to hear how the Hillary Pizza Pedo Ring "cuts close to the truth."
Well, she is still married to Bill...

"Clinton, meanwhile, flew on multiple occasions in the same plane to Epstein’s private Caribbean island, Little St James, between 2002 and 2005 as he developed his philanthropic post-presidential career. It would later be alleged in court that Epstein organised orgies on that same private island in the US Virgin Islands."

News Comments > Warhammer: Chaosbane Character Trailer
3. Re: Warhammer: Chaosbane Character Trailer Dec 14, 2018, 19:14 Eirikrautha

Alamar wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 16:30:
Love me some ARPG goodness... But so very wary of (the quality of) anything with the Warhammer tag...
Yeah. It actually looks good... but it's Warhammer... so I have to wait and see. Here's hoping this is a unicorn...

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
16. Re: etc. Nov 30, 2018, 17:42 Eirikrautha

Orogogus wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 11:40:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 08:43:
Orogogus wrote on Nov 30, 2018, 02:43:
Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 16:48:
He was also the official composer of the Third Reich.

Citation? I don't believe this was a thing.

Citation. Though it is Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt. To summarize succinctly, it is a matter of debate as to whether Orff was in any way associated with the NSDAP or not.

I'd looked at the article, and didn't see anything that suggested he was the official composer of the Nazi party. What do you see that says he was?
Hitler was quoted as saying this on a number of occasions. It was not a "position" in an organization, per se. But it was Hitler's unofficial designation that Orff never rejected. He was definitely a Nazi and collaborated with them, which should be enough for my point.

12. Re: etc. Nov 29, 2018, 22:13 Eirikrautha

NKD wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 21:56:
Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 21:36:
Does an artist's personal opinions or behavior invalidate their art?

Isn't that answer going to be different for everyone? Some people will be able to enjoy someones art despite whatever objectionable things they've done or said, others will have their enjoyment ruined by it.

There's really not much anyone can do about it. Some people can compartmentalize like that, others cannot.

That's a good answer. I can accept either response, honestly. But the problem lies in the all too common hypocrisy that follows. If you can't handle the art from the extreme or offensive, fine. If you believe that the artist does not taint the art, fine. But the very same people who declare that the artist must be evaluated with their art seem only to do so when the artist is someone they don't like. Ditto that for the other option.

The same people who decry intolerance and hateful speech are usually nowhere nearly as concerned with tolerating opinions they don't agree with, and they are often the first to use hateful terms for their opponents.

So I agree with you, as long as the rules apply just as equally for thee as for me...

10. Re: etc. Nov 29, 2018, 21:36 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 19:27:
Eirikrautha wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 16:48:
Flatline wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 16:09:
What is it about being an online personality that necessitates that you act like a racist, sexist, or antisemitic?

The definition of "racist, sexist or anti-semitic" is constantly expanding.

"Sex is determined by chromosomes at conception." Congratulations, you're a sexist and a transphobe! Hell, you might even be against women's rights ("conception" is a word used by those crazy anti-abortion people, right?).

Carl Orff was a brilliant composer and his Carmena Burana one of the greatest pieces of music ever arranged. He was also the official composer of the Third Reich. Yet somehow, because he was associated with this great evil, I'm supposed to judge his cantatas for his personal opinions and beliefs. Fuck all of the intersectional, postmodern progressive bullshit that can't see the art for the artist. It's one thing to not endorse someone's opinions or beliefs. It's another to refuse to recognize their skills, talents, or art...

Nothing is expanding, it's just that people remain willfully ignorant, no matter how many times things are explained to them. For example, I know for a fact you've been explained the difference between "sex" and "gender" probably a thousand times, yet here you are, making a strawman argument that confuses the two. It also excludes people with abnormal chromosones.

When someone asks, "How many fingers do humans have on one hand?" the answer "five" excludes those with polydactylism and amputees. That doesn't change the fact that it is the correct answer (both in a statistical sense and a biological one). As for strawmanning, when transwomen sue insurance companies for coverage for female reproductive procedures (despite the fact that they lack the working organs said procedures would cover), they are not asserting that they have a different gender. They are asserting they are biologically female. But you know that. You are the king of strawmanning. This discussion wasn't even about that, but you focus on a throwaway example to deflect from the real issues.

Especially since you didn't address the basic point I expressed. Does an artist's personal opinions or behavior invalidate their art?

7. Re: etc. Nov 29, 2018, 18:37 Eirikrautha

Squirmer wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 17:12:
deqer wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 14:37:
I liked this comment: "It's incredibly 2018 that someone who in their Twitter handle explicitly identifies with a violent hate group is proudly sharing screenshots of *other* people saying ugly stuff in a successful attempt to get them shunned."
Opposing fascists doesn't mean you're a violent hater, it means you're a decent person.
"There are two kinds of fascists: fascists and anti-fascists." -- Ennio Faiano.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -- Friedrich Nietzsche.

Most anti-fascists are just as bad as the fascists. They are just as violent, close-minded, dogmatic, and stupid. A pox on both their houses...

5. Re: etc. Nov 29, 2018, 16:48 Eirikrautha

Flatline wrote on Nov 29, 2018, 16:09:
What is it about being an online personality that necessitates that you act like a racist, sexist, or antisemitic?

The definition of "racist, sexist or anti-semitic" is constantly expanding.

"Sex is determined by chromosomes at conception." Congratulations, you're a sexist and a transphobe! Hell, you might even be against women's rights ("conception" is a word used by those crazy anti-abortion people, right?).

Carl Orff was a brilliant composer and his Carmena Burana one of the greatest pieces of music ever arranged. He was also the official composer of the Third Reich. Yet somehow, because he was associated with this great evil, I'm supposed to judge his cantatas for his personal opinions and beliefs. Fuck all of the intersectional, postmodern progressive bullshit that can't see the art for the artist. It's one thing to not endorse someone's opinions or beliefs. It's another to refuse to recognize their skills, talents, or art...

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2018, 18:39.

News Comments > Fallout 76 Legal Fallout?
43. Re: Fallout 76 Legal Fallout? Nov 27, 2018, 20:58 Eirikrautha

Prez wrote on Nov 27, 2018, 11:45:
I am absolutely LOVING the utter shitshow that Fallout 76 has turned into. Bethesda has received a free pass for far, FAR too long. It's about time they started being held to some sort of standard. In the end it will make them a better publisher of better games, after a series of painful lessons of course.

The problem is that Bethesda is a AA developer that has played too long in the AAA market. Skyrim's mod-ability (and the fans' dedication to fixing their games for them) and scope allowed Bethesda to slug above their weight class for a while. But the reality is that Bethesda can't produce AAA games outside of their (already aged) engine. An MMO is not their forte.

Either Bethesda will learn to limit their scope to something more reasonable, or they will have to grow themselves into a larger or different studio (if they can)...

News Comments > HELLGATE: London Calling
1. Re: HELLGATE: London Calling Nov 16, 2018, 19:31 Eirikrautha

I actually liked this when it first came out. Sure, it was flawed, but there was something about it that fed the ARPG loot-quest urges. I may pick this up, just to see if they've addressed some of the repetitiveness and flaws...  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Oct 27, 2018, 13:45 Eirikrautha

So, clickbait media generates clicks by hunting for corporate missteps or momentary insensitivity. Then, when they have profited from the manufactured outrage, they wonder if generating anger is healthy. Got it.

Physician, heal thyself...

News Comments > Strange Brigade DLC and Free Maps
1. Re: Strange Brigade DLC and Free Maps Sep 11, 2018, 20:02 Eirikrautha

Wait, didn't this game just come out a week ago or something?!? They are offering a DLC character for a game less than a month after release? Hard to argue they didn't cut content in order to sell it back to us. Not cool. This game goes from a "maybe" to a "heavy sale" or "Nope!" (if the sale doesn't include DLC)...  

News Comments > Pathfinder: Kingmaker Trailer
4. Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker Trailer Sep 4, 2018, 22:43 Eirikrautha

I kickstarted this, but I'm keeping my hopes reasonable. Hopefully it's a decent game. I'd be happy with that...  

News Comments > Violent Game Researcher's Third Retraction
5. Re: Violent Game Researcher's Third Retraction Sep 2, 2018, 10:07 Eirikrautha

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 31, 2018, 19:47:
Teacher, Pick Me Pick Me Pick Me
I know the single most important factor in multifactorial school shootings.
And that factor is easy access to guns.

Looks like I just got an A for the day.

Now you can put on your helmet and get on the short bus to go home...

News Comments > Riot Commits to Change
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 29, 2018, 19:21 Eirikrautha

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 19:14:
Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 19:08:
And what's wrong with that? It's a joke. Lighten the fuck up already. People losing their jobs simply because they say something that someone else finds offensive? That's fucking insane! That's PC bullshit out of control. That's downright Orwellian. What next? Re-education camps and torture until people think "correctly"? Doubleplus good, comrade!

So you'd be cool if your boss started hitting on your girlfriend "as a joke"? I mean its just a joke right? Can't you take a joke? Loosen up, man. I'd hate for your lack of humor and poor culture fit to have to come up in your next performance review.

(This response is based upon one of the incidents described in the articles on Riot's work culture. If you guys would want to work in such an environment, be my guest, but I sure as fuck wouldn't.)

I'd expect my girlfriend to come right back at him with another "joke" that wrecked him. But then again (before I married one), I tended to date strong, independent women who can stand up for themselves and don't need a soyboi savior to save them. Maybe you should try it sometime...

News Comments > Riot Commits to Change
7. Re: Riot Commits to Change Aug 29, 2018, 19:17 Eirikrautha

Kiss Riot goodbye.

Best case scenario, they swing the pendulum to the opposite extreme, hire a bunch of dead weight interested in "driv[ing] change and fight[ing] for what’s right" (as opposed to making good games), leading to a slow decline followed by closure. Get woke, go broke.

If they were smart, they would have doubled-down. That's what their critics always do when they are exposed as vile hypocrites. Honestly, outside of the click-bait media outlets who make this crap their priority, who even remembers the Kotaku article today? If they'd have hunkered down, the storm would have blown over. Instead, they've thrown social justice chum in the water. Their critics will redouble their attacks (because it worked the first time), and they've alienated anyone who would stick with them because the stuck to their guns.

Bye, bye, Riot...

News Comments > Starflight 3 Crowdfunding
10. Re: Starflight 3 Crowdfunding Aug 29, 2018, 16:23 Eirikrautha

Excited for the possibility of Starflight 3. Will probably buy it on the day it is released. But I won't Kickstart it (and I've kickstarted many games). Fig is cancer.  

News Comments > Devil's Hunt Video
1. Re: Devil's Hunt Video Aug 27, 2018, 21:49 Eirikrautha

So, a fisticuffs Shadow of Mordor in Hell? This looks way more boring than the concept sounds. Into the "console trash" bin it goes...  

664 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo