Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 665 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog

3. Re: Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog May 31, 2016, 21:18 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2016, 20:34:
I recall Wings, but none of the others though a few of them ring a bell sorta kinda.
Defender of the Crown was good stuff. A risk-like map with battles once you engage on a county. Rocket Ranger was similar (though with arcade-type challenges), with a "The Rocketeer" feel. Both were great games for their time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2016, 10:02 Eirikrautha

Agent.X7 wrote on May 29, 2016, 01:52:
I think you're seeing what you want to see and not reality. Pop quiz: Who is one of the lead actors on The Walking Dead? One of the main characters in Maze Runner? Daniel Dae Kim has been in how many hit TV shows AND movies? Lucy Lui? Come on, there are a ton of Asian actors.

Dude, don't you know that Asians are Schrodinger's minorities? They're white if necessary to bash a lack of diversity, and minorities if necessary to bash a lack of diversity, depending on the numbers. When over-represented in prestigious universities, they're "white" and you can cap numbers and penalize their SAT scores. When there are too few in Hollywood, they are minorities and you can bash white people for taking all of their roles.

You don't see caps on the number of black NBA players, do you? They are minorities all of the time. If only Asians were a little darker in skin color, then they would get to be minorities all of the time, too. As it stands now, they are only minorities when it stands to further white guilt. And all of this is totally not racist, judging people by their skin color first... /s Rolleyes

News Comments > Out of the Blue

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2016, 09:49 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on May 29, 2016, 02:39:
Agent.X7 wrote on May 29, 2016, 01:52:
Yifes wrote on May 28, 2016, 22:35:
Agent.X7 wrote on May 28, 2016, 22:22:
Can I go to China, Japan, and Korea and bitch about the lack of white dudes in the movies made there? 72% of this country is Caucasian. 12% is black, and they are the BIGGEST minority. Asian ethnics make up about 5% of the population. (From ALL Asian countries.) If anything, most groups are over-represented in Hollywood in some sort of attempt to make everyone feel good about themselves.

Having said that, it is weird when Jesus is a white dude and so is Gandhi. In multiple movies.

The thing is, a lot less than 5% of Hollywood is Asian. If you look at recent major releases, you have Sulu in Star Trek and that dude in the Fast and Furious movie. That's like what, 2 people out of hundreds of actors, both in minor roles. And when's the last time an Asian actor had a leading role in a movie outside of the rare stereotypical Kung Fu flick? There's no way you can say Asians are over-represented.

Also, Hollywood may be based in the US, but it makes movies for global consumption. A lot of blockbusters make WAY more in foreign markets than domestically, and a film's oversea's gross can be essential to its success. That's a huge difference than asian cinema making films for their own much more racially homogenous markets.

I think you're seeing what you want to see and not reality. Pop quiz: Who is one of the lead actors on The Walking Dead? One of the main characters in Maze Runner? Daniel Dae Kim has been in how many hit TV shows AND movies? Lucy Lui? Come on, there are a ton of Asian actors.

Daniel Dae Kim was a lead on how many of those?

And you named a few. I can easily name 20 white stars for every 1 Asian you can name.

Hmmm, 1 divided by 20 = 0.05 = 5%

Math checks out...

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands

7. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands May 28, 2016, 10:08 Eirikrautha

Pr()ZaC wrote on May 28, 2016, 08:15:
Vall Forran wrote on May 27, 2016, 22:59:
Not fair! I'm moving to New Zealand
*plays a song by Flight Of The Conchords...
Is that some kind of punishment for moving there?

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Trailer

1. Re: Mighty No. 9 Trailer May 25, 2016, 20:23 Eirikrautha

How many times has this been delayed? For this crap? I am soooo glad I didn't kickstart this...  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 25, 2016, 18:36 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on May 25, 2016, 13:45:
That violates US law. Sorry, it does. There's no getting around it.

Now he's a lawyer, too! Is there anything a moralizing, sanctimonious PC liberal doesn't know?

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced

26. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 11, 2016, 18:00 Eirikrautha

Paragraph #1:

Sid Meierís Civilization VI is the next entry in the award-winning Civilization franchise...

Paragraph #2:

Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier...

You don't say!? I was puzzled as to who the creator of this series was, since his name is right in the title of the game, and the first two fucking words of the press release!!!! Even the PR people are getting too stupid...

News Comments > MS Rebuffed Lionhead Buyers?

14. Re: MS Rebuffed Lionhead Buyers? May 11, 2016, 17:52 Eirikrautha

jdreyer wrote on May 11, 2016, 14:12:
Desalus wrote on May 11, 2016, 11:11:
Slick wrote on May 11, 2016, 10:57:
I'm sad they lost their jobs, but I'm happy that they're free from M$.

Unless they are under contract people are free to leave their jobs at anytime. I'm guessing all those people working at Lionhead were comfortable with their jobs, and if not they were not they would have preferred to have left on their own terms instead of being forced out.

THANK YOU. Sometimes I wonder what planet Slick is from.

Planet Shill. Whatever the corporation does is wise, just, and profitable for everyone. Even when they fire you they are helping you out!

He's the sort who would argue that a landlord could increase revenue through raising rent and still provide financial relief to the renters by doing so...

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup

1. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup May 7, 2016, 21:11 Eirikrautha

So the only possible redeeming feature of the newly popular indie walking simulator are the engaging story and/or the spectacular visuals and atmosphere. And based on the trailer, this game has neither? Uhhh, why don't you just remake pong... in color! Talk about a low-effort cash-grab... Rolleyes  

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Gameplay Trailer

14. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Gameplay Trailer Apr 29, 2016, 20:57 Eirikrautha

Call me crazy, but I even enjoyed WH40k: Space Marine. This looks even better, so I'm gonna keep a close eye on this!  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

1. Re: USC cancels video games panel due to lack of women Apr 29, 2016, 20:31 Eirikrautha

So let me get this straight: Your panel has mostly men, and one woman, game designers, some of the biggest names in the industry coming to talk to your students, after which your students can showcase their work(!) to them. The woman designer cancels due to a scheduling conflict. So, because of this, you cancel the panel. Now your students (presumably some of who are women), who stand to learn from the best of the best in the industry, lose the chance to network with future employers because of the "gender imbalance" on the panel. So the women you teach lose an opportunity of a lifetime, in order to improve the opportunities for women? And you defend this by stating you are "on the right side of history" (from the professor's twitter... which is now private)?

This is easily the stupidest thing I have heard in a while. No wonder women can't get into the game design business. Their teachers are retarded!

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer

7. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Apr 28, 2016, 21:07 Eirikrautha

I don't preorder (on principle). but this is a day-one purchase, for sure...  

News Comments > John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter

32. Re: John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Apr 25, 2016, 21:15 Eirikrautha

NetHead wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 19:53:
I figured this would end up on Kickstarter, not thrilled by that but not going to dismiss it because of that.

Romero's had success and failure, so hopefully he knows how to avoid his mistakes, and keep all his bitches in check.

I think it has a chance.

He may have had both success and failure, but failure is more his style...

News Comments > Battleborn Motion Comic

10. Re: Battleborn Motion Comic Apr 25, 2016, 20:46 Eirikrautha

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 25, 2016, 12:22:
Why would you play this when you can just play Overwatch?

You guys should watch this if you're on the fence about this game or don't even know what it is or think Overwatch is just going to stomp it. They aren't even the same game genre.

Cynical Brit Opinion of Battleborn

I didn't even care for the game until I watched this. It actually looks like it could be my next Team Fortress (it's not like team fortress but i sunk 10000 hours in team fortress is what I meant).

OK, I watched the TB preview/review. WTF? I must be getting old. There's so much crap on the screen, I can't even tell what's happening...

Now get off my lawn!

News Comments > Op Ed

11. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 15:00 Eirikrautha

Quboid wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 14:53:
Stormsinger wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 13:00:
Oh goodie...another rich, entitled prick telling those who actually -do- the work to stop bitching about long hours, poor pay and bad management.

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 14:03:
So, the article is St. John saying "you should totally stop complaining that you're working insane hours, and not getting paid overtime for it, or anything at all, for that matter."

No, he's saying that if you don't like working for somebody else in bad conditions for little reward, you should do something about it other than whinge impotently - "I tell these people; quit, go make great games on your own, pursue your passion".

I don't agree with what he says (no, St. John, getting "rich accidentally" isn't an adequate comparison) it's very different from him telling people to shut up and making him more money. Pretty much the direct opposite, in fact.

Finally, someone with some reading comprehension skills!

News Comments > Op Ed

1. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 12:19 Eirikrautha

So, after Alex St. John attempts to restore some sanity to this argument, GamesBeat puts a rebuttal of St. John from the founder of Vambleer right underneath. Ismail is the author of quite a bit of shovelware from a two-man studio. Basically, Ismail works at exactly the sort of indie creative company that St. John says is the most "healthy" for the complainers (and experiences none of the industry issues that come from working at a large firm), and yet he wants to attack St. John for the message!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Vambleer is at the forefront of the "I'm a victim, you're a victim" parade. So it makes sense they would be all up in the "this industry isn't fair!" whining. You're right it isn't fair! Try getting press or work and not being a part of the indie in-crowd, Rami. Oh, wait, that hits a little too close to home...

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Tracer This Month

1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Tracer This Month Apr 3, 2016, 11:13 Eirikrautha

But don't you dare look at her butt...  

News Comments > etc., etc.

5. Re: etc., etc. Apr 1, 2016, 09:34 Eirikrautha

Julio wrote on Apr 1, 2016, 05:06:
Now they probably want to blind every male just to be certain.
Yeah. It's not bad enough that people want to restrict what you say, now they want to restrict how you look at others. I guess thought control really is the final goal...

News Comments > Battleborn System Specs

6. Re: Battleborn System Specs Mar 30, 2016, 20:09 Eirikrautha

And! The! Crowd! Goes! (Snoring sound)...  

News Comments > Call of Space Duty Rumors

18. Re: Call of Space Duty Rumors Mar 29, 2016, 13:36 Eirikrautha

Timmeh wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 10:18:
This is what happens when you have dev staffs of thousands and need to release the same game every year to keep your mega corp alive. Next it will be Call of Duty is Wonderland or OZ.

I want the gaming industry of 15 years ago back. When game development was a lot slower and the games lasted a lot longer.

It'll never happen. Video games used to be niche products, whether they were on PC or in stand-up machines at the arcade. So they could easily cater to niche game desires. Now they are big business; video games make more money every year than the GNP of Burkina Faso. Console-makers sell at a loss and make up for it by selling millions of copies (or a game only sells a few million copies and is a failure, like the TR reboot /s). No major game studio can risk a niche product (hence the rise of indies, crowdfunding, et al.).

You're longing for a day that can never be again. I'm just hoping that enough tools (Unity3D, CryEngine, Unreal4) and resources get out there for a reasonable enough cost and complexity that indies can afford to make niche games again.

665 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >