Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 663 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation May 11, 2019, 16:22 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on May 11, 2019, 15:18:
Eirikrautha wrote on May 11, 2019, 14:06:
Funny, I don't remember a Gallup poll on fan reaction to the new Barret. It's almost like Kotaku, ground zero in the culture-war-as-clickbait disease, sees the opportunity to bitch about something while harvesting clicks, without the slightest evidence. But how could that be? That would be like... I don't know... monetizing outrage.

But I'm sure that they actually have a carefully designed poll to gauge "fan" reaction, as opposed to asking a handful of soy-boy colleagues in the desks next to them (who never even played the original)...

Did you unironically call someone "soy boy?"

Yep, it's my "Beamer call." I figure you hear "soy" and just assume you've been summoned.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation May 11, 2019, 14:06 Eirikrautha

Funny, I don't remember a Gallup poll on fan reaction to the new Barret. It's almost like Kotaku, ground zero in the culture-war-as-clickbait disease, sees the opportunity to bitch about something while harvesting clicks, without the slightest evidence. But how could that be? That would be like... I don't know... monetizing outrage.

But I'm sure that they actually have a carefully designed poll to gauge "fan" reaction, as opposed to asking a handful of soy-boy colleagues in the desks next to them (who never even played the original)...

News Comments > Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store
50. Re: Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store Apr 19, 2019, 12:22 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 11:20:
Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 10:30:
Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 09:31:
Also, jesus, stop with the "this person disagrees with me so clearly he's a paid shill" nonsense.

Of course, it's the standard conspiracy theorists. Unsurprising that the resident pizzagaters believe that anyone disagreeing is a paid shill. Also CJ, but this is basically standard CJ, and not due to a steady conspiracy belief, haha.

So you object to argument on the basis of genetic fallacy by spreading more genetic fallacy, ad hominem, and well-poisoning. You need to take a glance at the log in your own eye.

Generally, the more people try to fall back on "FALLACY, FALLACY!" the more likely it is that they're emotionally crippled manchildren that spend all their time on places like 4chan, or watching shouty men on YouTube, and fail to understand that fallacies don't disqualify an argument.

Waiting for: AD HOM!
So, by your own logic, your original post did nothing to address the argument, as it was an attempt to call out the genetic fallacy. Crippled manchild confirmed!

42. Re: Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store Apr 19, 2019, 10:30 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 09:31:
Also, jesus, stop with the "this person disagrees with me so clearly he's a paid shill" nonsense.

Of course, it's the standard conspiracy theorists. Unsurprising that the resident pizzagaters believe that anyone disagreeing is a paid shill. Also CJ, but this is basically standard CJ, and not due to a steady conspiracy belief, haha.

So you object to argument on the basis of genetic fallacy by spreading more genetic fallacy, ad hominem, and well-poisoning. You need to take a glance at the log in your own eye.

26. Re: Get Transistor Free on the Epic Games Store Apr 19, 2019, 09:02 Eirikrautha

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 08:38:
SabreT wrote on Apr 19, 2019, 06:55:
Looks like Steam has people by the balls going from all these replies. Slaves to their large library of games on ONE platform unable to work without Steam. How dare competition to the monopoly try and give developers a better cut!
Sure looks like someones being an unpaid shill for EGS. How dare people point out that engaging in the console wars on the PC platform be a bad thing, especially after Epic's statements attacking PC gamers for decades - until the bottom fell out of the console market.

Why do you think they are unpaid? There's been a lot of low-post-count pro-Epic posting recently. Nowadays, paid "reviews" and testimonials are the first step in a marketing campaign. Besides, only a shill or an ignoramus can refer to Steam as a "monopoly." While I know that economic literacy is at an all time low, the parroting of that term activates the ol' almonds...

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2019, 17:02 Eirikrautha

Steam on the other hand, is a defacto monopoly controlling 50 to 70 % of the market.

The fact that someone could post this with sincerity just shows that there is a sizable contingent of economic illiterates here on Blues. They are, not unexpectedly, also some of the loudest voices. Some of these threads could be veritable case studies in the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

First off, market share is never an absolute indicator of monopoly. There have been several, rather humorous, cases of US business sued under anti-trust legislation because of excessive market share (95+%) that were nearly out of business by the time the suit reached trial (a testament to both the economic realities and the glacial pace of the US court system). A basic, first-year course on economics would be enough to establish this.

Monopolies exist because of restrictions on the ability of market share to change. A company can have 100% of the market and not be a monopoly, as long as there are no outside forces that prevent other companies from entering the market. Even companies that have had 100% shares have failed, when technological or consumer changes have rendered the product obsolete. In short (for the commenters babbling above their intellectual weight-class): monopolies exist because of force. Either governmental or social forces that directly prevent other companies from creating competing products. The reason most people in the US are forced to endure monopolies or duopolies of power suppliers or cable suppliers have nothing to do with "capitalism" and everything to do with the enormous cost of entering the market, mostly due to government regulations. Without the force of government keeping others from competing, consumer options increase dramatically (see AT&T vs. the myriad of cellphone options today).

So, when some poster on here asserts that Steam is a monopoly, you can safely assume this person is an absolute moron. Because there is NO FORCE other than consumer choice sustaining their market share. No government agency, no "citizens' committee," no mafia don is preventing GOG, Ubisoft, EA, or Epic from starting their own distribution platform. Period. Anyone saying differently is writing in the sky, in letters 100 ft high, that they don't even know what the definition of a monopoly is, nor how basic economics works.

So read a damn book, you buffoons. And Das Capital (and other flights of fancy) doesn't count...

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Gaming is not a meritocracy - GamesIndustry.biz Apr 10, 2019, 16:24 Eirikrautha

One-hit wonder complains that his other games are not "appreciated" by the consumer, thereby proving that there is no such thing as meritocracy. LOL. It's funny how so many people fight so hard to avoid introspection and self-evaluation. Rather than git gud, they would just rather invent a million reasons why they are right and the rest of the universe is wrong. Oh, well, as Aristotle once said, "Character is destiny."  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Apr 4, 2019, 20:38 Eirikrautha

According to the 2016 US Census, average income in the US is right around $30,000.

"...the average worker at (Electronic Arts) got $93,336."

Yep. Making video games is hell on earth. They should definitely consider transitioning to an easier or more lucrative job, like coal mining...

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Apr 3, 2019, 13:52 Eirikrautha

No, the press is not your enemy, despite the fact that we're going to reprint the basics of someone else's hitpiece in order to try and profit off of outrage at your studio.

Granted, Bioware is garbage now. So, honestly, I say, "Let them fight!"

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Apr 2, 2019, 11:27 Eirikrautha

So, "games journalist" mode confirmed.  

News Comments > Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity
1. Re: Randy Pitchford on Borderlands 3 and Exclusivity Apr 2, 2019, 11:21 Eirikrautha

So, basically, yes they are. All Pitchford is doing is saying, "Please don't blame me for this! I'm out-of-the-loop. It's not my fault! I love all stores equally! Please don't hit me again!"

You know, I generally don't care about which store a product is offered on. But Epic has basically convinced me that they are so desperate to turn their Fortnite money into a serious market share for their game platform that they will do anything. And I don't trust anyone who is willing to do anything for an outcome. I sure as hell don't believe they are in this for consumers. So I'll wait...

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2019, 11:02 Eirikrautha

Speaking out against racism and genocide isn't what those critical of game companies want, either. They want game companies to make direct, identifiable allegory in which the political ideas and figures they love (and hate) are readily identifiable. They want their own narrow, shallow American political opinions represented everywhere, so they can feel comfortable and safe in their intellectual hug-boxes. The Marvel comic a few years back where MODOC was drawn as Trump is their idea of "political" commentary: vapid, simplistic, and moralizing. They want other forms of media to portray their ideas as noble and good, just the way that they do themselves.

Understand, the asshats at the New Yorker make their living pandering to the dwindling subscriber base that not just shares their political ideas, but makes them the center of their entire being. These are the people that can't discuss the weather, sports, the last family picnic without wedging Trump, neo-nazis, or the "alt-right" in their discussion somewhere (we have a few of those pathetic types here on Blue's). They are the ultimate cultural colonists, expecting everyone else to care about their Western ideas of society, politics, gender, sex, etc. (see how they demand Japanese companies cater to western sensibilities... the very definition of cultural colonization). They put food on their table by making everything about American politics (with the occasional Brexit thrown in), so they expect everyone else to do the same. Game companies must sell products to be successful; journalists sell their own verbal diarrhea. So these writers get all upset that companies are unwilling to alienate a portion of their market just to virtue signal.

As Michael Jordan once said, "Republicans buy sneakers, too."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
94. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2019, 10:40 Eirikrautha

My sympathies. Pets become family: we invest time, care, share experiences, learn their personalities, and create memories together. It's always heartbreaking when our journeys together end...  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Free Weekend
2. Re: BATTLETECH Free Weekend Feb 21, 2019, 20:52 Eirikrautha

Veinman wrote on Feb 21, 2019, 19:47:
This game is awesome, go play it. I waited far too long to try it.
Part of that wait was probably spent on loading screens, right?

The game itself is excellent. The five minutes I wait for the game to start is criminal. Ditto that for the five minutes for each mission to load. And that's vanilla, before any mods (which are also an excellent feature). If they could optimize this game, It'd be the best game released in the last few years. But I have to have a hobby to do while I wait for the damn thing to load...

News Comments > Darkest Dungeon 2 Revealed
8. Re: Darkest Dungeon 2 Revealed Feb 21, 2019, 20:13 Eirikrautha

Kain wrote on Feb 20, 2019, 13:03:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 20, 2019, 12:07:
Well shit. I love the sound and graphics of Darkest Dungeon, but holy shit talk about some annoying RNG gameplay.

I'll check out the sequel and see what they've done to cater to the non-hardcore crowd, hopefully there are some more enjoyable modes.

Agreed. I'm no stranger to punishment as a challenge methodology in games but this games grind was just too much. Even in a game called Darkest Dungeon, I want to be having some sort of fun and not ending every session wishing I had played something else.

Yeah. The grind a big issue, especially since the gameplay doesn't evolve a lot. Likewise, the gameplay felt like it was based around two steps forward, one step back. I've just defeated a boss, but two of my four most experienced toons are perma-dead. The rest have 8 different phobias that I can't afford to treat. Time to start the grind all over again.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2019, 15:38 Eirikrautha

Ariana Grande's New Kanji Tattoo Is An Unfortunate Mistake.

FTFY

News Comments > Dead or Alive 6 Delayed
9. Re: Dead or Alive 6 Delayed Jan 8, 2019, 21:36 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 17:33:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 17:20:
Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 13:15:
Red886 wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:29:
didn't they 'moderate' all females...

who wants to buy this at full price now?

You have a lot of posts complaining about women...

You have a lot of posts complaining about people complaining about women...

Oh, look, another one of the guys that constantly whines about women.
Is Cutter next?
Oh, look, another one of your baseless ad hominems backed up by nothing other than your own imagination. Is a slander about racism next?

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Special Editions
3. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Special Editions Jan 8, 2019, 21:32 Eirikrautha

Uhhhh, how 'bout you knock this game out of the park, and then I'll consider buying a "special" edition of this or the next one? Show me you won't screw it up first...  

News Comments > Dead or Alive 6 Delayed
7. Re: Dead or Alive 6 Delayed Jan 8, 2019, 17:20 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 13:15:
Red886 wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:29:
didn't they 'moderate' all females...

who wants to buy this at full price now?

You have a lot of posts complaining about women...

You have a lot of posts complaining about people complaining about women...

News Comments > Alien Game Tease?
6. Re: Alien Game Tease? Jan 5, 2019, 18:51 Eirikrautha

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 17:15:
El Pit wrote on Jan 5, 2019, 16:28:
Please make it a game where we can actually FIGHT the aliens instead of constantly running away from them with the aliens magically finding you wherever you hide. Thank you very much, indeed.

But then it wouldn't be an Alien game anymore but just a random alien game...

They wouldn't need the Alien brand if they wanted to make a random FPS where you shoot aliens in the nutsack.

Aliens would like a word with you...

663 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo