Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On April 10, 2012
Supporter -
Total Comments 677 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black

23. Re: removed Mar 19, 2020, 11:21 Eirikrautha

Blue wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 10:56:
This is touchy stuff without name calling and character assassination... disagreeing with you does not make someone a shill.
OK. But he is an Epic "evangelist", and I dare say he'd admit to it. I still think believing the numbers coming out of China is ... unwise...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black

19. removed Mar 19, 2020, 10:22 Eirikrautha

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 19, 2020, 10:54.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Medical company threatens to sue volunteers that 3D-printed valves Mar 18, 2020, 11:02 Eirikrautha

A society (and legal system) interested in justice, and not slavishly following legal doctrines, would respond to this by acknowledging the fact that the patent was violated, dismiss any and all penalties for the duration of the pandemic, and explain that the only way that such actions would be punished is if the infringement continued after the pandemic or were used to avoid paying for available products while the means to pay for them were there.

Of course, western society is so screwed up the legal system will probably find for the plaintiffs if they sue and award millions in damages...

News Comments > Evening Interviews

1. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 16, 2020, 19:40 Eirikrautha

There is an inverse relationship between the "accessibility" of the design tools and the long-term quality of the games made by them. Sure, you can make PUBG, DotA, or other lightning-in-a-bottle games using only modding tools. But you can only do it once. After that, it's just another PUBG or DotA clone. The first team to make an innovative game with the assets available in Core will reap the rewards. Everyone else will just be making a game that looks like that one...  

News Comments > Sunday Previews

1. Re: Sunday Previews Mar 1, 2020, 13:20 Eirikrautha

How about implementing the game first? I wanted a space-fighter simulation. Wing Commander for the 21st century. I don't want first person shooters, survival mechanics, real-time strategy, mining and economic simulations, etc. I want to blow up not-Kilrathi in spaceships! How hard is that?!?! Apparently, for this bozo, it's damn near impossible...  

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: Great moments in PC gaming- Bragging about your daughter in Dream Daddy. Mar 1, 2020, 13:16 Eirikrautha

Everything you need to know about the fall of western civilization in one article. We are now playing video games in order to pretend to raise children. I guess because actually raising children is too hard for the narcissistic losers nowadays? It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad. I'll brag about my real children, thank you...  

News Comments > Metro Exodus on Steam

16. Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 21:35 Eirikrautha

afka Rossini wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 18:18:
Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 15:40:
Well, at least they weren't stupid enough to launch on Steam at full price (there's a 40% "discount" on this year-old game... how generous...). Though I notice that the full price is listed at $39.99 and I don't remember if that was the full price on release. Either way, I'm not paying anywhere near that much for Epic's sloppy seconds.

I find that exclusivity deals have just saved me money, because I really have no burning desire to play some of these games after waiting (and enough lets-plays and other material has come out to show me that I probably would have wasted my money if I had bought immediately... looking at you Phoenix Point & Julian Gollop). I'd have bought Mechwarrior 5 launch day full price if it had come out on Steam. Now, I'm honestly not sure if I'll even bother when it gets rereleased, there's just too much wrong with it based on the lets-plays I've watched. Oh well, hopefully that "exclusivity money" was enough to make up for my lost sale...

Since it's the first AAA title I'm aware of to have Epic exclusivity expire and I had any interest in, I picked it up on Steam today for $24 US. That's less than half the original price. If enough Steam buyers show up this week, maybe developers will re-think Epic exclusivity.

Nope. The exact opposite will be true. If people still buy even after the year, all that tells publishers is that they can take Epic's money first, then take our money later. The only way they'll rethink exclusivity is if the games that have it don't meet sales expectations, both during and after. Otherwise, you'll just teach them they can slap you around and you'll still come back for more...

News Comments > Metro Exodus on Steam

2. Re: Metro Exodus on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 15:40 Eirikrautha

Well, at least they weren't stupid enough to launch on Steam at full price (there's a 40% "discount" on this year-old game... how generous...). Though I notice that the full price is listed at $39.99 and I don't remember if that was the full price on release. Either way, I'm not paying anywhere near that much for Epic's sloppy seconds.

I find that exclusivity deals have just saved me money, because I really have no burning desire to play some of these games after waiting (and enough lets-plays and other material has come out to show me that I probably would have wasted my money if I had bought immediately... looking at you Phoenix Point & Julian Gollop). I'd have bought Mechwarrior 5 launch day full price if it had come out on Steam. Now, I'm honestly not sure if I'll even bother when it gets rereleased, there's just too much wrong with it based on the lets-plays I've watched. Oh well, hopefully that "exclusivity money" was enough to make up for my lost sale...

News Comments > Op Ed

5. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2020, 14:27 Eirikrautha

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 11:00:
Again, a company maintaining political neutrality doesn't mean the employees who work there can't express their political views. But when you are in the business of selling an entertainment product to as many people in your diverse market as possible, keeping said entertainment products appealing to all portions of your market is wise. Alienating a significant portion of your potential market just to forward your own personal politics seems stupid to me.

That said, lots of people still maintain a game is "being political" simply by virtue of including homosexual or minority characters, which seems weird to me.

On a personal level I WILL NOT play a game that pushes an agenda, regardless if it's one I agree with or not. That's not why I play games. I game to get away from all that pointless, incessant, back-and-forth shit. Fortunately for me the vast majority of games are made to be entertainment, not recruitment tools, so I rarely run into this.

"Republicans buy shoes, too." -- Michael Jordan.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2019, 11:44 Eirikrautha

I'd be shocked if the Giants land McDaniels. He's been dodging other HC interviews and jobs for the last couple of seasons. My speculation: he's got the keys from Kraft. When Belicheck retires, McDaniels will slide in as the next head coach in NE.  

News Comments > Squadron 42 Video

25. Re: Squadron 42 Video Dec 26, 2019, 20:59 Eirikrautha

So, that's it? That's the best you have to show? A group of fighters PVPing in a barren sky with the puniest sounding guns I've ever heard (talk about "pew, pew!") is supposed to sell me on a massive single player space combat sim? You know that good AI is the hardest part, right?  

News Comments > Squadron 42 Video

3. Re: Squadron 42 Video Dec 26, 2019, 11:25 Eirikrautha

Very pretty. Also incredibly lacking in starfighter combat for a starfighter combat game. One would think you would want the gameplay loop to be refined before you built the other parts around it...  

News Comments > Enemy on Board Announced

1. Re: Enemy on Board Announced Oct 18, 2019, 16:57 Eirikrautha

Looks like it could be a fun drunken party game.  

News Comments > Billion Dollar Borderlands 3

44. Re: Billion Dollar Borderlands 3 Sep 23, 2019, 18:01 Eirikrautha

Borderlands 3 claimed the top position on Twitch for Most-Watched Game on its launch day and has maintained its position as a Top Five Most-Watched Game since launch. In addition, Borderlands 3 has already generated more than 14 million hours of content viewed on Twitch more than half the viewership that Borderlands 2 generated in its seven-year lifetime.

Uhhhh, how is that a sign of good sales? If people had bought the game, wouldn't they be playing it, rather than watching it on Twitch? Could someone spin this as customer hesitancy to by the game, and their desire to see it first before buying?

When the only hard numbers in your press release are the number of people watching your game, I find it hard to trust your PR...

News Comments > Gaming Industry Rape and Sexual Assault Allegations

44. Re: Gaming Industry Rape and Sexual Assault Allegations Aug 27, 2019, 20:59 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 20:28:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 19:16:
Nucas wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 15:37:
i'll be the first to say i don't like zoe quinn. she was aptly described as "a lightning rod for drama". but you can really do like 2 minutes of research on the shitter to see she never slept with anyone who ever reviewed a game of hers or wrote about her in any significant way.

Absolutely false. Zoe Quinn was close friends with and slept with Nathan Grayson. On September 5, 2012 he quoted Quinn's opinion and linked to her game in an article on Steam Greenlight for RPS. Then on January 8th, 2014 in RPS, he highlighted Quinn's Depression Quest and called it a "standout" and a "powerful Twine darling." Then on March 31, 2014, Grayson wrote about the failure of an indie project called "GAME_JAM" for Kotaku, used Quinn's opinions on the matter, and ended his coverage with a quote from Quinn that she would like to do a game jam (the right way). She would go on to collect money for her own game jam, but never deliver.

It took me two minutes to find those examples. The only argument I've heard is the exact timing of when they slept together and when the articles were written (even Quinn says they were in a relationship by April 2014). But they had been friends (showing up on live streams, social media, and Grayson is even credited in her game) and he promoted her, as well as her games.

The problem isn't what most people don't know; it's with what they do "know" that isn't true...

3 sentences aren't "significant," especially about a title already generating buzz. Even if you think it is, there's nothing to imply it was transactional. Even if you think it was, he's the villain here, yet weirdly not the focus of gamergate, who can't stop discussing her, despite her never being half as influential as he was and is.

Straw man much?

Who said it was transactional? Show me ANYWHERE that was in my post or the post I responded to! The issue isn't the nature of the relationship; it is the the fact that no relationship was disclosed by Grayson.

As for who the "focus" of Gamergate is, who cares? This particular article (and the post I responded to) is about Quinn. The post said that no one "wrote about her in any significant way." That is false, as she was the primary quotes in two of the three articles, and her game was mentioned in two of them.

How about you just admit you are wrong for once? Are you really the kind of Internet warrior who would declare the sky was "eggshell blue" just to contradict someone who said it was blue? Your obfuscation and straw-manning don't work, you know...

News Comments > Gaming Industry Rape and Sexual Assault Allegations

36. Re: Gaming Industry Rape and Sexual Assault Allegations Aug 27, 2019, 19:16 Eirikrautha

Nucas wrote on Aug 27, 2019, 15:37:
i'll be the first to say i don't like zoe quinn. she was aptly described as "a lightning rod for drama". but you can really do like 2 minutes of research on the shitter to see she never slept with anyone who ever reviewed a game of hers or wrote about her in any significant way.

Absolutely false. Zoe Quinn was close friends with and slept with Nathan Grayson. On September 5, 2012 he quoted Quinn's opinion and linked to her game in an article on Steam Greenlight for RPS. Then on January 8th, 2014 in RPS, he highlighted Quinn's Depression Quest and called it a "standout" and a "powerful Twine darling." Then on March 31, 2014, Grayson wrote about the failure of an indie project called "GAME_JAM" for Kotaku, used Quinn's opinions on the matter, and ended his coverage with a quote from Quinn that she would like to do a game jam (the right way). She would go on to collect money for her own game jam, but never deliver.

It took me two minutes to find those examples. The only argument I've heard is the exact timing of when they slept together and when the articles were written (even Quinn says they were in a relationship by April 2014). But they had been friends (showing up on live streams, social media, and Grayson is even credited in her game) and he promoted her, as well as her games.

The problem isn't what most people don't know; it's with what they do "know" that isn't true...

News Comments > Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans

14. Re: Minecraft Ray Tracing Plans Aug 19, 2019, 18:37 Eirikrautha

Lipstick, pig. Discuss...  

News Comments > Op Ed

42. Re: Aug 19, 2019, 11:27 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 13:30:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 12:10:
Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 09:08:
Vulkan wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 08:21:
Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 17:47:
Man, some of you really hate stories about non-straight people

As with any story, how much I like it depends on how well written and implemented it is. A game like The Missing does it very well, where the subject of the main character's gender is integral to what the game's story is about and the message that it's trying to convey; this stuff in BL3 just seems to have been added in as a bizarre "Just because we can" afterthought.

True, but what in borderlands isn't bizarre just because they could? They had an entire mission about a robot sadly trying to throw himself a birthday pizza party. The tasks included turning on the boombox and blowing into party favors.

Bizarre shit for the sake of being bizarre.

So you are equating stories about non-straight people with being bizarre? Not cool, man...

You fail at making a gotcha, which is why often no one bothers responding to your trite "debate" skills.

We know you hate anything non-straight, non-white, non-male. Any time these topics come up, you ride your Aryan horse in to whine and complain.

You "know"? Or you are projecting your own bigotry on others? Funny that your debate "skills" are always predicated on immediate ad hominems and straw man arguments. I defy you to find a single post where I declare anything you've written above (you know you can't). You are attributing a non-existent "hate" based on the fact that I disagree with your stupid opinions.

Maybe you should take this guy's advice:

Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 01:59:
I don't get the "never apologize" thing. Sometimes I accidentally say or do something stupid. The right thing to do is step back, realize you made a mistake, and try to right it.

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 09:04:
I think it just stems from a self-important self-righteousness; that s certain group thinks you never need to apologize for something you didn't mean to do. As if intent always takes priority.

News Comments > Op Ed

28. Re: Aug 18, 2019, 12:10 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 09:08:
Vulkan wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 08:21:
Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 17:47:
Man, some of you really hate stories about non-straight people

As with any story, how much I like it depends on how well written and implemented it is. A game like The Missing does it very well, where the subject of the main character's gender is integral to what the game's story is about and the message that it's trying to convey; this stuff in BL3 just seems to have been added in as a bizarre "Just because we can" afterthought.

True, but what in borderlands isn't bizarre just because they could? They had an entire mission about a robot sadly trying to throw himself a birthday pizza party. The tasks included turning on the boombox and blowing into party favors.

Bizarre shit for the sake of being bizarre.

So you are equating stories about non-straight people with being bizarre? Not cool, man...

News Comments > Op Ed

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2019, 16:42 Eirikrautha

MrCharm42 wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 09:50:
The game should if not show then at least mention the horrors of 1800-1900 colonialism and not just sugar coat it with all happy pink unicorns and Mexicans that JUST SO HAPPEN to work on your plantations (And yes, there are plantations). Because that is the opposite of what the setting and the historic victims of this deserve.

So what do they deserve? Force the player to watch a history video that delves deeply into the nuances of various victims? All Civ-like games would then be endlessly tedious to develop/play. Can you imagine watching long lecturing videos every time a new civilization is discovered?
Fiction is fiction - if we're going to have that standard, then all novels are out (unless they have long balancing/edifying afterwords). Or is it all just fine if instead of calling them Mexicans (as in your example) they are just called Xicans or some other made up name?

Somehow I get the feeling that the same people who are upset at the lack of historical examination of colonialist inhumane behavior were also the same folks who complained that historical accuracy was not a reason for Kingdom Come: Deliverance to not include anyone other than white people.

The call for "political" video games is disingenuous at best. Games can address political topics without being "political." They can also address no politics at all. The call for all games to "recognize" their politics is a totalitarian sentiment (by the literal definition of the word totalitarian), similar to the phrase "the personal is political." Its primary purpose is to justify the application of political censorship towards ideas and art the complainer does not like. If everything is political, then the complainer is justified in demanding that his politics be either explicitly rejected (with the threat of furious backlash if the author dares to do so) or included in any work. Otherwise the complainer can insinuate that the author is denying the "correct" politics by not mentioning them at all (arguing that lack of rejection is the same as enthusiastic acceptance).

Anyone so arrogantly sure of their own politics that they believe EVERY medium should reflect their worldview all of the time is someone whose worldview is almost certainly unworthy of said focus...

677 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >