Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 506 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Galaxy of Pen & Paper Announced
9. Re: Galaxy of Pen & Paper Announced Jan 19, 2017, 22:00 Eirikrautha

Orogogus wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 19:13:
Cutter constantly bitches about prices in CDN, and people constantly assume he's talking about USD and he invariably tells them off for it.
Fixed that for you...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call Of Cthulhu Trailer
13. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jan 19, 2017, 21:36 Eirikrautha

CthulhuFan wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 18:19:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 14:01:
Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 12:05:
this looks good... getting a heavy "Undying" vibe from it

I loved and hated Undying, for it's time it was a scary game.

but I hate games where you have unkillable monsters and areas where you literally just had to run through because you had unkillable ghosts.

Wait, what? Lovecraftian horror is all about horrific things you have not a chance in hell of defeating. It is about your cosmic insignificance; you are like a bug to be crushed underfoot.

[Looks at poster's name]
Yep, name checks out...

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 14, 2017, 15:33 Eirikrautha

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 13:24:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 14, 2017, 11:37:
You spell canceled like a brit!

Well color me British, so does the headline

colour, if you're British...

News Comments > Gone Gold - Torment: Tides of Numenera
25. Re: Gone Gold - Torment: Tides of Numenera Jan 12, 2017, 17:09 Eirikrautha

MacLeod wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 13:08:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 12, 2017, 11:50:
Wasteland 2 CEs shipped months after the game came out. People who pledge for physical tiers are lowlife scum in inXile land and get treated as such. Remember how they excluded physical Torment CE backers from beta/early access at first, i.e. how people who pledged $40 for digital got in but people who pledged $100+ for physical got the finger of love?
Well, I got the message loud and clear. I have not backed (after TToN) and I will never back anything that is developed by these assholes ever again. IF my physical Torment CE ever gets here, I'll prolly just trash it right away so I won't have to endure the sight of a product made my total wankers.

Yes. That's how I really feel. Thanks for asking!

Wow... who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Yes. The WL2 physical rewards came after the digital release... They shipped standard editions the next month, and the CE took until December... they were pretty quick in letting everyone know that they had a delay and apologized for it. To top that off, the physical editions came with digital copies, so you could still play the game at launch. Geez. Drama queen much?

On a Cartesian graph of intelligence versus vocalization, CJ_Parker is buried in the corner of Quadrant II...

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
8. Re: Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support Jan 11, 2017, 21:08 Eirikrautha

Every so often, I wonder if I should just upgrade to Win 10 (there are still ways to get it free that aren't too shady). Then something like this happens, and I thank past me for not doing so.

I mean, if Microsoft wanted to screw up their public perception, I'm not sure what they could do more effectively...

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 10, 2017, 07:02 Eirikrautha

Slick wrote on Jan 10, 2017, 03:36:
also, that top 10 list is almost entirely indy titles, i guess that explains why he shits on 99% of AAA games

So Xcom2, Civ VI, Doom, Plants vs Zombies, and Battlefield Gothic are all indie titles? Who knew!

I'm sure you spent as much time listening to his rationales (though 83 minutes is a bit too verbose... com'on TB!) as you did counting (5/10 = "almost entirely"... must be the new math!). You can disagree with his reasons, but your ad hominem says more about you than it does him. About what I expect from a AAA shill, though...

News Comments > World War II Online Coming to Steam
15. Re: World War II Online Coming to Steam Jan 8, 2017, 10:22 Eirikrautha

Played this game for a year or two when it came out. The key was population. When the server was light, you could spawn in and sit for an hour without seeing anyone. Boring as hell. But when a particular sector was hopping, the action was different than any other war sim I've ever played. From Opel rushes to tank duels, the game could be really fun. And as soon as the Axis won (since they did 9 times out of 10), they wiped the map and you started over.

My brother also bought the game, and he loved playing an 88. I'd spawn in, haul him to the front, then despawn and come back as a rifleman. He'd plink tanks and I'd slaughter the infantry trying to sneak up and kill him. I've honestly never had more fun playing a multiplayer shooter/sim. Ever!

In the end, though, as the meta-game with spawn limits and such kept you from spawning the stuff you wanted and the populations dwindled, it just wasn't as fun. Plus, like any multiplayer game, the more time you had to put in, the more fun you had. And I didn't have much of either anymore...

News Comments > Steam Award Winners
8. Re: Steam Award Winners Dec 31, 2016, 15:06 Eirikrautha

Fion wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 13:53:
How does Witcher 3 not win Game Within A Game? I mean we're comparing tennis & golf mini-games with GWENT!

Primarily because I can't ever win a game of Ghent... EVER. So it can't be a game...

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Dec 31, 2016, 15:04 Eirikrautha

See, this is the problem with interpretive lenses. Any particular lens might give a new perspective on a topic, but at the cost of filtering out other information.

So I'd don't have a problem with looking at female representation in games, just to see where things stand. If a programmer or producer wants to address that information in their game, more power to them.

The problem arises when people become so enamored with a lens (like feminism) that they forget that it is a lens, an imperfect view of the world. Then you get stupidity like this: a desperate attempt to find examples of your pet foibles in anything and everything. This is why most people not married to your lens look at your complaints as moronic... because you have to ignore so much contrary information in order to make everything fit into your lens...

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: No, Russia didn't hack Vermont's power grid. Dec 31, 2016, 14:56 Eirikrautha

Thank God the NYT, Facebook, Twitter, and WashPost are looking out for us by refusing to fall for fake news that happens to follow their desired narratives...

Oh, wait...

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Dec 30, 2016, 11:12 Eirikrautha

Rule Number One of Fan Remakes: Don't announce the remake until it's done! Otherwise, you're just going to get C&Ded and all your hard work will go for naught.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up
27. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 25, 2016, 21:04 Eirikrautha

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 15:59:
favorite comment from phobos512
Here's the thing. Back in the day we'd have heard about this game as a sentence in a magazine article/interview ("working on something really neat," etc.). There would've been rumors for months to years and eventually a full page ad buy and then an article. And then it would've come out. Instead we follow the entire process every step of the way and we are enabled to know and criticize everything. It's a complete paradigm shift and it's hard because people are so damned impatient.

One other minor difference: you wouldn't have paid a cent before it came out either.

The publishers who funded the game would have been all up in CR's grill, with timed milestones, preview builds, constant updates, etc. But, CR already has your money, and he could declare tomorrow that the game was done as it is and you couldn't do a thing about it. There are fewer checks on CR now than there ever have been. Some people celebrate that. Some are terrified by it.

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
82. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 19:50 Eirikrautha

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 15:02:
Nonsense. Look at the unified first-and-third person animations, for instance - the only game that tried that is Arma and that's a horrible game. CIG has managed to incorporate vision stabilisation into the mix to create a viewspace that is exactly as others see it, which is important for multiplayer. Then there's the multi-crew ships with independent physics grids, something that hasn't been seen in any other game. There's the scope of the universe, with 64bit precision being used to render at incredible distances with incredible accuracy. If you really think the game isn't cutting edge and groudbreaking then you're not being reasonable.

And every one of those things has been tried or achieved in other games (you even admit it with ARMA!). 64-bit precision is unique to SC? Seriously? You haven't addressed my question at all. Why is CR the guy who will be able to put all of these together for the first time?

Nobody does. It's never been done before. It's like criticising JFK for trying to put a man on the moon by claiming nobody has ever done it before and nobody has been able to combine all the elements needed. No shit. Is your argument that developers should always play it safe and not bother to innovate?

Uhhh, ever heard of Blizzard? They've made careers out of combining the features of disparate games into a beautiful working whole. No one may have combined these particular features... and I wonder why?

No, my argument is that those who achieve generally have the skills or records that predict they will achieve. When you want someone to circumnavigate the Earth, you'll look for someone that has a history of managing long expeditions. If you're looking for someone to run a marathon, you look for someone that has run long races. NASA had a history of getting stuff done, which they built on. JFK didn't call up a model rocket club and put them in charge.

Look, if you don't like the game then don't buy it. Chris Roberts isn't going to murder your first born if you don't. If you want to wait for it to be completed before deciding whether it's worth it then great - again, nobody is forcing you to buy it. What I don't understand is why so many people have an agenda to see the game fail.

So now we've finally got to the rhetorical dodges. You can't give me a reason why CR is the guy to make this advance, so you impugn my motives (in addition to hyperbolic strawmen). I'd love a game that brought space adventure/combat back into the mainstream. But every indication is that this isn't it. No matter what you say about me, it doesn't mean that you have established a single thing about CR capabilities and SC's feasibility...

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2016, 20:56.

78. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 20, 2016, 13:12 Eirikrautha

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 11:28:
Peeeling wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 11:10:
I don't think those who were sold on the hype deserve abuse. For the most part it's been very good hype. However I think apologists who try to gloss over the failure to deliver on promises, and who try to claim - AFAIK with zero industry experience - that this is typical AAA development are doing everyone a disservice at this point.
In the history of gaming there has never been an undertaking as large as this with such a big all encompassing scope.

Not to mention it has fairly open development with the community and is crowd funded.

Some. if not most, of this is uncharted territory.

Nope. Not one iota of it is "uncharted territory." Every single thing CR is promising has been done before. What he is promising is to do them all together at once. That's what makes him (and his defenders) fools. Because his entire argument is that he can do what no one else has been able to do because... reasons. And that's it! No "because" is forthcoming. No explanation how he is going to accomplish what everyone else in the history of gaming couldn't manage. What is the new technology? What is the new coding practice or development structure? What is the track record and evidence that he can do it? If John Carmack tells me he has come up with a method of rendering scenes with half the overhead I might believe him (if I don't think about "megatextures" too hard). He's got a track record.

But CR has no track record of technological innovation on this scale. He's got no track record of finding a way to combine all of the disparate features of different games into a seamless whole (*cough* Freelancer *cough*). He has no "magic bullet" to make any of his promises more possible than they were for any other developers. Hell, he doesn't even have EA/COD money (yet) to throw at the game. All he has is "trust me." All he has is "have faith."

This isn't a game. It's a damn cult...

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Dec 20, 2016, 11:27 Eirikrautha

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 06:35:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 20, 2016, 01:39:
Also, I thought we got our modern-day Bladerunner. It's called "Westworld."

the original Westworld is from the early 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL3eP0Hfy4

QFT! Allthumbsup

14. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 12:43 Eirikrautha

This video is everything wrong with SC development.

Notice how long it takes to actually get to "gameplay"? Sure, I want to walk through a long series of corridors (which they clipped out part of... look for the cuts) in order to equip in order to set my ship layout in order to take off to fly to get to the mission. Or not. Half the time is spent NOT playing the combat part.

Now, some people get into hyper-realism. There's room for the DCS Warthogs and Falcon 5.0s of the world. But how many popular sim games give "jump to action" or time acceleration features, precisely because they understand what the fun part of the game is? Honestly, this is my knock on Elite as well. But at least I don't have to check each virtual pocket for my virtual wallet and peel off virtual bills individually in order to pay for my fuel in Elite. That seems to be Chris Roberts' dream for SC.

Also, look at the combat (especially the space marine part). Are they using Nerf guns? It took 200 hits to drop a single enemy. That's a definite sign of gameplay issues there. Either the hit boxes or networking is crap, or CR realizes the intense frustration of 10 minutes of prep, only to get killed in 2 seconds. Probably a combination of both.

This game is even more borked than I feared it was. Hope the folks who backed it had the money to burn, because this game won't be played for more than five minutes by the average gamer before it goes in the garbage bin...

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer
33. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer Dec 17, 2016, 20:58 Eirikrautha

And the video is gone...

The term "ephemeral" should be the subtitle for this game...

News Comments > Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale
83. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 20, 2016, 11:08 Eirikrautha

heroin wrote on Nov 20, 2016, 10:45:
I still don't understand why people flap their gums up and down like a bunch of drool slobbering camels over SC's development. From a business perspective on revenue & production what they did is pretty genius. The game will push boundaries once it's finally released compared to whatever is coming out down the line. For a new team taking on something with such scope, 4 years in development isn't terrible. I honestly hope they are ignoring the negative shmucks and work their asses off, taking as long as possible to make it as good as they are able; massive & loaded with detail.

Poster's name: "heroin"

Name checks out.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 13, 2016, 16:45 Eirikrautha

El Pit wrote on Nov 13, 2016, 13:47:
Maybe Trumperica will do just what democratic countries like Russia and Turkey did: imprison all critical journalists, close every newspaper or tv station that will not follow the government's guidelines, and suddenly there is only one truth and that is forged by the regime government. After all, Putin and The Donald are best friends forever, right? Why not do what his friend did?
So, you're worried that the government will start behaving like the average left-wing college administration and silence anyone who says anything they don't like? Cool story, brah...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 9, 2016, 16:00 Eirikrautha

Bundy wrote on Nov 9, 2016, 14:03:
One does not simply move to Canada:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/americans-it-s-not-as-easy-as-just-moving-to-canada-1.3150096

That said, I feel good being Canadian today, I honestly have no idea what my neighbors to the south think Trump is going to do for you. But it's probably not what you think. We'll just have to wait and see.

The fact that someone from a country that elected Justin Trudeau has the lack of self-awareness to post this just adds to the humor.

Pro-tip: Short Morton's stock. After yesterday's election, salt will no longer be in short supply...

506 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo