Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 585 (Apprentice)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 17:31 Eirikrautha

loomy wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 15:18:
> “Male game devs deal with it too. Gamers don’t seem to believe expertise exists. But it’s not the constant deluge it is for women. Which was the point of the tweets that Peter made that got him fired: He was saying, ‘Hey, this is about gender, because I’m out here talking about the same stuff she’s talking about, and this doesn’t happen to me.’”

this is 100% true, and most girls just roll over and take it

each side doesn't know what the other side is getting. I will go a week without anyone asking me to play a multiplayer game. ask a female friend how long she goes. ask her how many stalkers she's had compared to you

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/part-1-experiencing-online-harassment/

Men face more harassment online than women; men face different kinds of harassment online than women. This is consistent across many different surveys like the one linked above. Men are more likely to be verbally harassed or get death threats. Women are more likely to get stalked or sexually harassed.

I have seen people react to this information by claiming that the kinds of harassment women face is somehow "worse" that what males get, but that is highly opinion-based (is a rape threat worse than a death threat? Less so?). Either way, the idea that the internet is some gender-based minefield exists more in the minds of the folks who want to see it that way. In reality, the internet is mostly just toxic towards everyone...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jul 9, 2018, 20:24 Eirikrautha

Someone bring the fainting couch! Brendan is about to collapse from the sheer horror of a woman (gasp) being held to the same standard as a man would be...  

News Comments > Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat
48. Re: Guild Wars II Writers Fired Over Social Media Spat Jul 6, 2018, 17:29 Eirikrautha

loomy wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 17:01:
> What other choice does ArenaNet have here?

the company can do whatever it wants. the question to grapple with is why thousands of people brigaded to get two people fired. was it really because they were fighting for the justice of men who are abused on twitter?

Who brigaded to get her fired at Paizo?

Why is so important to you that she be in the right here (even when she obviously isn't)? Rather than worry about the motivation of internet anons, why don't you take a moment to contemplate your own...?

News Comments > Into the Black
26. Re: Into the Black Jun 21, 2018, 21:19 Eirikrautha

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 17:44:
They're not reasonable for Star Wars, though.

The box office sales or the budget numbers? I agree that the box office sales are well below expectation for a Star Wars movie. However, what I had intended to communicate with my imprecise phrasing was that the budget numbers I quoted may not be 100% accurate, but at the least are reasonable estimates that imply that Solo is indeed on track to lose hundreds of millions of dollars for Disney. A loss in the hundreds of millions is, as you note, not a reasonable outcome for a Star Wars film.

You are also forgetting the price Disney paid for Lucasfilm and Star Wars. At this point Disney would have made more on the interest on the $4+ billion they spent. The merchandise sales for Star Wars are at an all-time low (even less than when there were no movies being made). Disney bought the golden goose, then hired a butcher to keep it healthy...

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2018, 17:21 Eirikrautha

Good luck getting an answer. The reason that you won't get one is that the same people attacking your question can see the penumbra of cognitive dissonance around the possible answers, so they don't want to go down that road. They don't want to say, "Some ideas should not be expressed or should be forcibly suppressed" because we all know where that argument leads.

The reality here is that expression and offense operate on a sliding continuum. As one increases, so does the potential for the other. Valve took the easy out here (and I don't blame them), because they don't want to be the arbiter of ideas, both for practical and philosophical reasons. Once you admit that some ideas should be suppressed, the next question (which these folks can't answer without piercing their veil of pretend support for freedom of expression) becomes Quis custodiet ipsos custodes...?

News Comments > Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle?
3. Re: Star Citizen's $27,000 Bundle? May 28, 2018, 13:01 Eirikrautha

There's some kind of money laundering going on here. That's the only rational explanation for this. Otherwise our society has gotten so decadent that there is no recovery. God will owe Sodom and Gomorrah an apology if we don't come crashing down soon...  

News Comments > Star Control Origins Trailer
2. Re: Star Control Origins Trailer Apr 5, 2018, 12:47 Eirikrautha

I loved Star Control 1&2 when they first came out, but a sequel really didn't inspire much enthusiasm in me. After this trailer, I'm much more likely to buy. It looks pretty good so far...  

News Comments > Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity
1. Re: Fighting Rainbow Six Siege Toxicity Apr 4, 2018, 20:38 Eirikrautha

Nothing is more horrifying, while employing the finest tactical methods to slaughter the enemy and grind them to dust, than hearing someone use vulgarity in chat. I've missed headshots because I was so shaken by the words I heard used that I just can't even. I want to kill and maim on my video game without hearing anything shocking or offensive!  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 1, 2018, 12:19 Eirikrautha

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 11:25:
Eirikrautha wrote on Apr 1, 2018, 11:13:
When an enemy does something right, they still find a way to attack that enemy
The GOP platform.
LOL. Thanks for the example.

You know, evolutionary biologists have presented pretty compelling evidence that the religious impulse is hardwired into the human brain. Human beings are mechanically inclined to seek membership in a larger group and to form in-group/out-group mental schema. It, therefore, shouldn't be surprising in this day and age (where organized religion is in decline in the West) that people would develop a religious commitment to other groups around them, be they physical, political, or ideological groups.

But it's still shocking to hear the religious phrasing of political commentary. The GOP attacks the things that are "right"? You mean morally "right"? Like they are evil and intentionally seeking out evil. You honestly think 40+% of the American population is sitting around, wringing their hands like Snidely Whiplash, going "How can we hurt other people today?" You seriously believe that? And I bet you make fun of creationists...

Some of you zealots need to sit back and examine your rationales and the basis for them. You're about one step away from a becoming a cult...

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
15. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 1, 2018, 11:13 Eirikrautha

You know how you can spot the truly deranged? When an enemy does something right, they still find a way to attack that enemy (or they will suddenly defend the wrong they've been attacking for years before). Hypocrisy, it's the other white meat...  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week
27. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 17, 2018, 09:13 Eirikrautha

Prez wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 06:52:
Jesus Slick the extent to which you take your EA apologist role makes me sincerely hope you are an EA employee. At least that would make it understandable. If you aren't it really makes me sorry for you. To expect people to be grateful to EA for making their Star Wars game closer to something not a cynical predatory gambling simulator months after release is just utterly baffling.

How much of a shill do you have to be in order to use a reddit forum as your example of success? I'm thinking of coding a plugin for my browser that replaces "Slick" with "Shill," just as a reminder...

News Comments > Fear the Wolves Announced
5. Re: Fear the Wolves Announced Feb 8, 2018, 16:26 Eirikrautha

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 10:44:
Hullo there, Mr. Bandwagon! How ya doin' taday, Sire?

Posts like this are the reason Blues' needs a "like" button.

On the other hand, I am mortified to think that my first "like" would have been on a post by CJ!

j/k

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 8, 2018, 16:22 Eirikrautha

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 18:49:
I did not know that my standards were that low, thanks for letting me know. Oddly enough they align with 80% of reviewers and the majority of critics. http://www.metacritic.com/tv/altered-carbon

I think you intended your rebuttal as a defense, but rest assured that it only served to prove his point more fully...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 5, 2018, 20:50 Eirikrautha

Good. I want to see it drop to $7.50, so that I can finally buy a video card without taking out a second mortgage. Totally selfish, but I'm ok with that...  

News Comments > GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award
3. Re: GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award Jan 31, 2018, 21:49 Eirikrautha

A Coworker of his responds:
Elaine Shirley, an Atarian of that era, told RePlay: ”Those were the times. He [Nolan Bushnell] hit on women and they hit on him. If the #MeToo movement was active when Atari was alive, I think half our company would be charged. To my knowledge, no one ever did anything they did not want to do.

“In truth,” Shirley continued, “I think there were at least the same or more aggressive women at the company. I am not condoning any inappropriate violations related to the #MeToo movement, but I think the movement needs to relate to the era in which the ‘violation’ occurred. However, there are some lines that can never be crossed (especially with children or sexual assaults) no matter what era it was.”

She continued that there was a time when two salesmen in the industry complemented her at a trade show, saying she had the “best legs in the industry.”

“That would not be acceptable now, but it did not bother me,” she said. “They should give Nolan the award,” she concluded.

This has officially become a witch hunt. Much like the French Revolution, I can't wait until these assholes are marched to the guillotine, protesting their "ally-ship" the whole way... Furious

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
69. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 21:21 Eirikrautha

Lorcin wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 18:56:
Should be illegal and I can make quite a compelling argument.

A couple of months back my son had a friend over who tried Cuphead for the first time. Not only did he know the names of the bosses he then proceeds to start beating them, one-shotting at least one.

"Oh do you have this?" says I
"Nah, seen it on youtube" he replies

After playing for a while I ask him if he likes it, which he does.

"Are you going to pick up a copy?" says I
"Nah, I was going to but I watched it all on youtube" he replies.

What the actual. Aside from the fact I simply can't get my head around watching somebody else play a game, the streamers, in this case, have DEFINITELY cost a sale.

It's not just my son and his mates - there are legions of teenagers out there who consider themselves gamers but actually spend more time watching people play games instead of playing them themselves. It's certainly having an impact on the industry which leads to fewer profits, which leads to less development money, which leads to fewer or lower quality games.

Actually, the argument should be that what your son did is illegal. Your son's friend may have seen Cuphead on a "Let's Play," but that didn't stop him from wanting to play it. But he didn't have to buy the game because YOUR SON LET HIM PLAY IT! Your son cost the developers a sale!!!! Shocked

I'm kidding, but only partly. If you reduce "causation" to any tenuous extreme, you can prove anything is responsible for anything. While it is plausible that some few sales might be lost to Youtubers' streams, the question is the ration between lost sales and sales gained through promotion.

P.S., I hope your kid isn't arrested or anything for promotion of lost sales... Tongue

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek
19. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Jan 28, 2018, 20:19 Eirikrautha

Dacron wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 17:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 17:16:
major derpage
lol.

I absolutely love it.

If you think that's a lot of words... lol. It all makes more sense now. You enjoy riding your dog.

Don't bother. Redeye is so invested in his own little fantasy narrative that he couldn't accept the truth if Chris Roberts told him himself. Leonard French (the lawyer he linked to) is upfront about the fact he's a SC backer and on CIG's side, and this is what is presented as impartial legal analysis by dufus.

The best part is the accusation of derpage. It's a pot/kettle sort of thing. If Redeye got any more derpy, he'd be sued by My Little Pony for copyright infringement...

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 28, 2018, 19:51 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 16:03:
I'm always surprised when gamers are angry at another form of technology, and claiming it makes people unhappy, antisocial shut-ins.

Have you not learned?

Well, when a longitudinal study of 1.1 million teens says otherwise, I am willing to change my opinion.

Link to reports of study

But then again, I'm not a science-denier...

News Comments > Petroglyph Sought Star Wars: Empire At War Sequel
1. Re: Petroglyph Sought Star Wars: Empire At War Sequel Jan 18, 2018, 10:15 Eirikrautha

As counter-intuitive as it sounds, Petroglyph just needs to stand back and wait patiently if they want a SW game. Let EA screw up a few more times and get Disney to drop the exclusivity. A new game with rights "loaned" from EA will have more strings attached than Pinocchio, and might not even be worth the trouble. Wait, let EA lose the license, then make the good game that you want to make...  

News Comments > ESA Rebukes President Trump
193. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 13, 2018, 23:09 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2018, 19:39:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 13, 2018, 18:49:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 13, 2018, 12:08:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 13, 2018, 10:48:

Funny you pick coal towns as your example. I've been to Chicago and Detroit (and Philly and Baltimore). You're more likely to encounter a shithole area in a city than in the country. But it's not like you have your own biases...

Wait, I thought the charitable explanation for why people support Trump is that it had nothing to do with race and solely to do with economics: that rural, ex-industrial areas are economically depressed, and that their residents feel left behind and looked down upon by the thriving urban areas. If you contend that in fact rural America is better off than urban America -- laughable but lets run with it -- then why exactly do you support Trump? Because he'll call predominantly black and brown countries shitholes and can can sexually assault women and get away with it?

Who says I support Trump? I just dislike leftist ideologues more (they've led to the death of way more people, especially in the 20th century). Secondly, having lived and worked in suburbs, small Appalachian towns, and in large, urban cities (including teaching in majority minority schools), the sheer danger to the resident of any small town is nothing compared with the slums of Baltimore, Shitcago, or Detroit. The primary difference is the arrogance of the urban elites. Somehow they feel they can look down from their upper middle-class enclaves (I guarantee neither you nor Beamer have ever lived in a place like Anacostia, DC... but I don't bother challenging him about this because he'll just make shit up, as usual) and moralize about the rural U.S. It's a little like being lectured on morality by Hollywood and all it's sexual predators. Physician, heal thyself...

I lived in Newark, NJ. Nice try. Now tell me who "left being ideagogues" have killed.

Beamer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_killings_under_Communist_regimes

Redtard - I have a life, so I'm not on Blues 24/7 like you sad, sad people.

Quboid - Isn't it funny how Nazi is (rightly) a despised ideology, yet the far left (communism), which killed far more than Hitler, never is used as a pejorative? Maybe because it hits lefties to close to home. The funny thing is, if most of the whack-job left ever got the society they wanted, they'd be the first people up against the wall. I guess they don't imagine their utopia starting with them in a mass grave...

585 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo