Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eirikrautha

Real Name Eirikrautha   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 10, 2012, 20:31
Total Comments 457 (Amateur)
User ID 57390

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
33. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 17, 2016, 19:56 Eirikrautha

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 21:20:
The alternative is no marketing, no marketing equals less income, less income equals less game.

Whoa, Whoa, WHOA! I thought that CIG has taken in $120m and has all of the resources it needs. We've heard the Robertrons all over these boards telling us that CIG didn't need any more money to complete the game and that ship sales were just bonuses due to the overwhelming financing they already had. Now you are saying that they need more sales to finish the game?! You can't have it both ways...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
32. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 17, 2016, 19:52 Eirikrautha

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 16:46:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 14:36:
Even if they release the game and it's great they'll never satisfy the critics, as the goalposts will simply be moved - you'll just criticise it for something else.

Lol dude, just lol.

It's like, "Dude, what are you talking about? Kool Aid has always tasted like that..." </Jonestown>

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2016, 21:51 Eirikrautha

Devinoch wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 18:02:
...and you wonder why you have to spend a few hours trying to find a single review with anything meaningful, positive or negative, to say.

If it takes you hours to find a worthwhile review on Steam, the problem is not with the Steam review system. You might want to start with a speed reading or reading comprehension class.

Generally speaking, I can usually figure out in the first 10-15 highest score reviews and the same number of lowest score reviews most of what I need to know.

Besides, the problem Cliffski has is that I can WATCH the game being played on Youtube, which tells me far more than 1000 Steam reviews. Steam could hire as many shills as he wants, and it won't change the result a bit...

News Comments > Cricket Captain 2016 Released
2. Re: Cricket Captain 2016 Released Jul 5, 2016, 17:45 Eirikrautha

Hell, that trailer made cricket look fun. Not comprehensible... but fun!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 5, 2016, 17:40 Eirikrautha

Zanthar wrote on Jul 5, 2016, 14:11:
What about amputee and burn victim avatars? Don't discriminate!
As an attack-helicopterkin, I am soooooo triggered right now!

Flamethrower

News Comments > Independence Day Tech Bits
7. Re: Nothing hidding in Polaris 10 Jul 4, 2016, 13:20 Eirikrautha

NetHead wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 12:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2016, 12:30:
So Vega is an entirely new DIE and CHIP ? If so that would mean by the time it's out, Nvidia is gonna push a TI version of GP104 (it has plenty of headroom) to compete against that with barely any extra development no?

Just seems like AMD is basically doomed to lose what little market share it has left if they don't release some positive press soon. At the latest by xmas tons of people are gonna plan to upgrade.

Yup, and that's pretty much the usual story there, a whole cat and mouse thing. Nvidia also has the GP102, which is what the "Ti" or Titan cards are expected to be based on, meaning then they wouldn't be the same chips as 1070/1080 just cranked up.

Then AMD have Vega 11, then Nvidia still has the full Pascal in GP100, and then AMD has Navi..

and so it goes...

I still think it's going to take months (easily 6+) for us to see how things end up, the dust isn't going to settle until all the cards are on the table. I also still think we haven't seen the real benefit of this node shrink yet.

About AMD's market share, in that regard they're doing it well and that's the reason for them focusing on the lower/mid range first which sell a hell of a lot more than the higher end.

Also since the lower end chips are smaller they get more per wafer, so even before the 480 was released there were more Polaris chips floating around than 1070/1080 chips despite those already having been released first.

For the whole market share thing it's the best move they could have made. Unfortunately that's also part of the reason prices for the 1070/1080 are astronomical.

Thanks, you saved me the trouble of explaining it. I'll probably pick up a 480 in a month (once vendor boards are out). I'm running a 7870 and I would much rather pay $200 for an R480 than the projected $250 for a 1060 that (according to the benchmarks I've seen) might give you 5% more performance. Tech Report always does a performance/dollar graph and the R480 owns that metric. That's who AMD is targeting (along with the next gen of consoles)...

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 3, 2016, 19:39 Eirikrautha

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 13:07:
What about a MOBA inside of a MOBA?

Someone fund me.

MOBAception!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Ban White Trucks!!! Jul 1, 2016, 13:16 Eirikrautha

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 13:04:
Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 12:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 11:14:
Figures for 2014 show 32,675 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2014.

I would still feel safer in a vehicle with autopilot.
nhtsa

Considering that the accident was caused by the autopilot's sensors mistaking the white side of a tractor trailer for the sky... pretty damn unsafe. This isn't a case of the non-autopilot vehicle wrecking the Tesla; the Tesla autopilot straight up worked incorrectly and killed the occupant...
You have the facts mixed up, it was the driver that caused the accident, not the Autopilot. Before Autopilot can be used, drivers have to acknowledge that the system is an "assist feature" that requires both hands on the wheel. Drivers are told they need to be prepared to take over controls.
Something about Beta software...

"Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied."

That's an autopilot failure, in addition to the driver's own failure (which began when he trusted an automated system to protect him)...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Ban White Trucks!!! Jul 1, 2016, 12:33 Eirikrautha

Luke wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 12:18:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 11:14:
Figures for 2014 show 32,675 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2014.

I would still feel safer in a vehicle with autopilot.
nhtsa

IF the price was so that many more peps could buy the tesla how safe would it then be driving on autopilot ? Book

Considering that the accident was caused by the autopilot's sensors mistaking the white side of a tractor trailer for the sky... pretty damn unsafe. This isn't a case of the non-autopilot vehicle wrecking the Tesla; the Tesla autopilot straight up worked incorrectly and killed the occupant...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 30, 2016, 11:11 Eirikrautha

It's all about the DRM. Analog jacks can't be locked down. But a digital jack can have all sorts of DRM put on it to stop you pesky thieves from listening to songs you ripped from the CDs you've already purchased, and force you to buy your music like good little citizens (and rebuy when you get locked out of your phone, or your account gets hacked, or Apple feels like it...).

Information/data as service is the new realm of electronic robber barons. It's all about selling you something that they can take away, then resell. Planned obsolescence for the digital age...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Xbox Fitness Sunset Announcement Jun 29, 2016, 12:21 Eirikrautha

This is the danger of "software as service." Once the service is no longer profitable for the provider, you are out what you spent on it. This is the actual "anti-consumer" practice in the industry now, and no one seems to care. Give me a DVD with a program on it any day...  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 18, 2016, 11:27 Eirikrautha

Simon Says wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 07:49:
shihonage wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 04:27:
Flo wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 04:16:
shihonage wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 03:13:
If it removes crapware, will it uninstall Win 10 as well?
Sigh

Before doing all that sighing, you may want to research the EULA you agreed to when installing Windows 10. Hint: it lets Microsoft take your files for any reason at any time.

You may also want to research whether unticking all those boxes which let it spy on you, actually did anything.

Hint: it did not. And third-party utilities don't do the job, either.

http://bgr.com/2016/02/10/windows-10-spying-investigation/

In addition, Win10 has been known to uninstall third-party drivers and software without user consent, as well as revert user-changed settings by itself.

It is the OS that won't let you disable Windows Update. And at this point I wouldn't put it past them to run hidden processes to that effect, should you neuter its service.

With Windows 10, you're no longer any resemblance of "admin". You're just another peripheral.

That OS is the beginning of Microsoft's end. No amount of DX12 and other kind of planned obsolescence is going to force me to ever use it.

When Win8.1 stops being supported, I will actually go to Linux. Good thing I don't play modern games.

"The user attempted the same experiment once again with a fresh install of Windows 10 as well as a third party tool called DisableWinTracking. He discovered that the name of the tool is slightly misleading, as Windows 10 had contacted 30 IP addresses 2,758 times in the same 30 hour time frame."

That's terrible... *points to* hosts file or if it fails, their router firewall in order to block the listed IP adresses.

I won't argue its no big deal, but they, and you too, are talking about it like the OS is some kind of god flogging you with its omnipotent powers. Your router doesn't give a damn about what OS is running, it'll still block the IP address if the hosts file fails to and slap it silly. It takes a minimum of effort, but in the end, once its done, its done. Heck you can even give it a range of IP addresses in case you suspect they'll try a slight variation to bypass the blocks. Easy enough.
So your point is that it's no big deal to have to fight your own OS? And this is a win 10 selling-point?

News Comments > Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog
3. Re: Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog May 31, 2016, 21:18 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2016, 20:34:
I recall Wings, but none of the others though a few of them ring a bell sorta kinda.
Defender of the Crown was good stuff. A risk-like map with battles once you engage on a county. Rocket Ranger was similar (though with arcade-type challenges), with a "The Rocketeer" feel. Both were great games for their time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2016, 10:02 Eirikrautha

Agent.X7 wrote on May 29, 2016, 01:52:
I think you're seeing what you want to see and not reality. Pop quiz: Who is one of the lead actors on The Walking Dead? One of the main characters in Maze Runner? Daniel Dae Kim has been in how many hit TV shows AND movies? Lucy Lui? Come on, there are a ton of Asian actors.

Dude, don't you know that Asians are Schrodinger's minorities? They're white if necessary to bash a lack of diversity, and minorities if necessary to bash a lack of diversity, depending on the numbers. When over-represented in prestigious universities, they're "white" and you can cap numbers and penalize their SAT scores. When there are too few in Hollywood, they are minorities and you can bash white people for taking all of their roles.

You don't see caps on the number of black NBA players, do you? They are minorities all of the time. If only Asians were a little darker in skin color, then they would get to be minorities all of the time, too. As it stands now, they are only minorities when it stands to further white guilt. And all of this is totally not racist, judging people by their skin color first... /s Rolleyes

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2016, 09:49 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on May 29, 2016, 02:39:
Agent.X7 wrote on May 29, 2016, 01:52:
Yifes wrote on May 28, 2016, 22:35:
Agent.X7 wrote on May 28, 2016, 22:22:
Can I go to China, Japan, and Korea and bitch about the lack of white dudes in the movies made there? 72% of this country is Caucasian. 12% is black, and they are the BIGGEST minority. Asian ethnics make up about 5% of the population. (From ALL Asian countries.) If anything, most groups are over-represented in Hollywood in some sort of attempt to make everyone feel good about themselves.

Having said that, it is weird when Jesus is a white dude and so is Gandhi. In multiple movies.

The thing is, a lot less than 5% of Hollywood is Asian. If you look at recent major releases, you have Sulu in Star Trek and that dude in the Fast and Furious movie. That's like what, 2 people out of hundreds of actors, both in minor roles. And when's the last time an Asian actor had a leading role in a movie outside of the rare stereotypical Kung Fu flick? There's no way you can say Asians are over-represented.

Also, Hollywood may be based in the US, but it makes movies for global consumption. A lot of blockbusters make WAY more in foreign markets than domestically, and a film's oversea's gross can be essential to its success. That's a huge difference than asian cinema making films for their own much more racially homogenous markets.

I think you're seeing what you want to see and not reality. Pop quiz: Who is one of the lead actors on The Walking Dead? One of the main characters in Maze Runner? Daniel Dae Kim has been in how many hit TV shows AND movies? Lucy Lui? Come on, there are a ton of Asian actors.

Daniel Dae Kim was a lead on how many of those?

And you named a few. I can easily name 20 white stars for every 1 Asian you can name.

Hmmm, 1 divided by 20 = 0.05 = 5%

Math checks out...

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands
7. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Expands May 28, 2016, 10:08 Eirikrautha

Pr()ZaC wrote on May 28, 2016, 08:15:
Vall Forran wrote on May 27, 2016, 22:59:
Not fair! I'm moving to New Zealand
*plays a song by Flight Of The Conchords...
Is that some kind of punishment for moving there?

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Trailer
1. Re: Mighty No. 9 Trailer May 25, 2016, 20:23 Eirikrautha

How many times has this been delayed? For this crap? I am soooo glad I didn't kickstart this...  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 25, 2016, 18:36 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on May 25, 2016, 13:45:
That violates US law. Sorry, it does. There's no getting around it.

Now he's a lawyer, too! Is there anything a moralizing, sanctimonious PC liberal doesn't know?

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced
26. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 11, 2016, 18:00 Eirikrautha

Paragraph #1:

Sid Meierís Civilization VI is the next entry in the award-winning Civilization franchise...

Paragraph #2:

Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier...

You don't say!? I was puzzled as to who the creator of this series was, since his name is right in the title of the game, and the first two fucking words of the press release!!!! Even the PR people are getting too stupid...

News Comments > MS Rebuffed Lionhead Buyers?
14. Re: MS Rebuffed Lionhead Buyers? May 11, 2016, 17:52 Eirikrautha

jdreyer wrote on May 11, 2016, 14:12:
Desalus wrote on May 11, 2016, 11:11:
Slick wrote on May 11, 2016, 10:57:
I'm sad they lost their jobs, but I'm happy that they're free from M$.

Unless they are under contract people are free to leave their jobs at anytime. I'm guessing all those people working at Lionhead were comfortable with their jobs, and if not they were not they would have preferred to have left on their own terms instead of being forced out.

THANK YOU. Sometimes I wonder what planet Slick is from.

Planet Shill. Whatever the corporation does is wise, just, and profitable for everyone. Even when they fire you they are helping you out!

He's the sort who would argue that a landlord could increase revenue through raising rent and still provide financial relief to the renters by doing so...

457 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo