Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record
May 23, 2012, 23:36
Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 23:36
May 23, 2012, 23:36

WaltC wrote on May 23, 2012, 20:09:
Slippy wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:05:
Hey Walt,
Been thinking about purchasing Skyrim... Didn't have any time to game when it came out and then just never got around to it. Use Fallout 3 as a comparison... I love that game... do you think I would like Skyrim?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Warning--I really like this game! What follows is me trying to temper my emotions so that I can give you an objective read. As you can see, I failed!...;)

It's great, Skyrim is great--I liked F3, too, and I've modded that one extensively, as well. I think, however, that F3 doesn't hold a candle to Skyrim. (To be fair, though, F3 is a different story and hits many different themes accordingly.)

Skyrim surprised me on so many levels that I'm still tallying them up...;) Skyrim is sort of like...let's say, maybe, Morrowind or Oblivion, except that in Skyrim everything is done right! For instance, in Oblivion I always felt like I was traveling these vast distances to reach these tiny alcoves of human (and otherwise) activity, and that much of the game I spent ogling the scenery while fighting to stay awake...;) Skyrim is positively amazing in that in every single square acre of the game world, and it is huge!, there are, literally, several things of note to do, like cavern and cave explorations, lost treasure surprises, or battles with ferocious beasts or rogue sorcerers, hostile and friendly clans and tribes--the net affect is that compared with Morrowind/Oblivion, Skyrim is a virtual beehive of activity! You never get bored playing this game--I don't--a literally there's something new under every rock it seems! Even more remarkable for a computer game is the fact that the physical world inside Skyrim has differing geological features, depending on where you are--sort of like good 'ol earth, actually. Get ready for all kinds of marvelous terrain to travel.

The game is fairly non-linear in that you can decide where and how you want to play the main quests while exploring and taking on the seemingly endless array of secondary quests--and all of these generally involve a bit more than merely steppin' and fetchin'...

According to Steam, I've logged in 143 hours play, and I am not even 1/3 the way though the main quests and with still 3/4 of the world left to unroll and discover! Best news is that it hasn't bored me yet--not even once. This is the way I like to play--I don't lollygag (heh...;) If you don't already, you'll understand that slightly archaic word a bit better when you start playing) but I don't rush through it as though my britches were on fire, or because I have to take a really big "dump" and I need to finish the game a'fore it starts hurtin' bad!...;) I've never understood the mentality of rushing through a game by bypassing 70% of the content, simply to boast about "How fast I beat the game." I think in those circumstances it is clear that the game is beating its owner on or about the head, and quite severely, too.

Did I mention the mods? The game is very mod friendly and there are tons of cool mods, many of which definitely complement and improve upon the game play! The customization possible is remarkable.

The darn game is just fun, fun, fun...I don't know what else to say. It's a masterpiece--a definite classic in the making. It isn't "perfect"--but nothing is perfect. It's close, though.

If you like single-player role-playing games--Skyrim stands at the summit of them all at the moment, as far as I am concerned. If you don't buy another game this year--buy Skyrim (it has enough content to keep you hooked for the rest of the year, all by itself, if need be.)

I hope this is of some help to you even though I *did* try (somewhere in the above text) to present things coolly and dispassionately.
Thank ya muchly! This does help and I will definately look back into ol' Skyrim this weekend!

May 23, 2012, 18:46
Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:46
May 23, 2012, 18:46

Bhruic wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:27:
I'm just a little disappointed that in the trailer Blizzard released a few days before the game went online, a Blizzard employee definitely states that "there's a single player game in D3."

I'm sure you must have mis-heard, because the fine authorities here at Blue's have categorically stated that there is no singleplayer in D3, and I'm sure they would know much better than a Blizzard employee.
Agreed. You can definately Solo in D3 (and even hire an AI controled puppet to help you) but I would NOT call it single player. I do love the naratives with the hirlings though... LOL. My favorite is when the little wizard girl from Act II says the Barbarian is like her brother and he responds, "...I won't discuss love with you though." and she is speechless.

May 23, 2012, 18:17
Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:17
May 23, 2012, 18:17

eunichron wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:14:
Wait, you haven't purchased Skyrim yet? Good god man, do yourself a favor and go buy it right now.
Nope... my older bro recommended it to me on Steam but I just never purchased. Graphics look good... videos look good... saw some posts when it released that it had some issues at that time and just never pulled the trigger... Like I asked before, does it 'compare' to Fallout 3?

May 23, 2012, 18:05
Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 18:05
May 23, 2012, 18:05

Hey Walt,
Been thinking about purchasing Skyrim... Didn't have any time to game when it came out and then just never got around to it. Use Fallout 3 as a comparison... I love that game... do you think I would like Skyrim?

Thanks for your input in advance!

May 23, 2012, 17:53
Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 17:53
May 23, 2012, 17:53

Optional nickname wrote on May 23, 2012, 17:38:
Blizzard is deleting all my posts in tech support, and here too.

I wrote stuff about how their game has melted some of my hardware components, due to the repeated shut downs that tens of thousands of players are also experiencing, (but have no alternate system to post on)

all my comments deleted, and here at blues too, the Nvidia driver update story, GONE.

good riddance failed sequel attempt that is Diablo 3, totally believed my gut feeling that this was going to be a disastrous dumbed down sequel, waiting all this time, for what, lol

COMON GRIM DAWN!!! TAKE US OUTTA HERE.
Melted your hardware?!?!?!?!?

WTF?

Dude you would have to have some serious hardware issues for something like that to happen... I like Blizzard personally but I'm not saying this for any other reason than hardware doesn't 'melt' unless you have some kind of serious physical problem with your rig.

Don't get me wrong, it can happen, but not unless you jam a memory module in backwards or something really lame like that. Even CPU's will shut themselves down under extream heat to avoid exactly those types of issue.

Sorry but I can understand a company deleting posts like that if you were posting them... omg...

What were your posts about nVidia drivers... that they caused global warming??? Dude, take a basic computer course at your local community college or something... lol

May 23, 2012, 17:36
Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 17:36
May 23, 2012, 17:36

The only real issue I have experienced with D3's AH (the gold based one) is when I try to purchase gems... Everything works fine until I do a buy out then it either errors out or times out and still takes my gold. It is usually refunded shortly afterwards but I *think* they still keep a cut... is anyone else having the same issue?

I use the AH daily but this is the only real bug I have noticed.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
May 22, 2012, 19:43
Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 22, 2012, 19:43
May 22, 2012, 19:43

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 21, 2012, 14:07:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2012, 23:18:

Nope, I use the default keys. Maybe it is your perif and they don't support it yet?

Yeah, you wouldnt have experienced any of this with default keys ^_^

And the keypad I use is a USB keyboard just with a partial set of keys for gaming. No drivers or buttons/keys besides the generic keyboard ones. (well there's a volume up/down, but that's about as exotic as it gets) a pic
Looks like an awesome gamepad MW... USB though which means it probably DOES have it's own drivers. You just don't notice during install because Windows automatically installs either from the internet or from drivers stored on the device itself (which is one of the huge benifits of USB devices). Not saying this is the problem but I can pretty much assure you that the key mapping for the 'A' button on this device is not the same map as the 'A' on your standard 104 or QWERTY keyboard.

Just out of curiosity, do you have full admin rights on the computer you are using?

Re: Diablo III Hacking?
May 22, 2012, 19:23
Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 19:23
May 22, 2012, 19:23

The answer is in the original news post along with what we see with Windows... EVERYTHING can be hacked. Even the US government’s top security networks have been compromised (and yes, they are generally NON-WINDOWS based)…

As the news post states, “the game's future support of real-money auctions has attracted more hacking attempts than one would consider normal.” That’s exactly the point. The bigger the target with more of a reason to hack it, the better chance it will be compromised. I’m sure there has been people (if not groups) planning attacks on Blizzards servers since the day it was announced.

Similar to MS Windows as the most used OS on the market (and throughout the world), the larger the target, the more arrows will be fired and they WILL get through… anyone that knows at least a little bit about computers understands this.

Also, it’s not all about so called ‘strong’ passwords… this helps but is damn sure not an iron clad method to prevent a breach. ‘Strong’ passwords help tremendously when ‘brute force attacks’ are used that try literally millions or billions of alpha numeric combos until a correct password is reached… These however, are rarely used since the original adoption of 128-bit encryption as a standard that prevented even the fastest of computers from getting a correct password in a ‘reasonable’ amount of time (it could literally take weeks, months or even years which made it totally useless to brute force your way into something that you wanted immediate access to).

Today, more cleverly used are virus deployed key loggers and dummy front web sites that just log whatever your password is instead of guessing. Fresh installs of Windows (or any other OS for that matter) doesn’t ensure you are free from attack or virus either. In fact, if you have a live connection during first boot you are probably more vulnerable because many security patches have not yet been applied to known threats.

It was just a matter of time before breaches started and they will continue. Diablo 3 will no more be safe than D2 (I had my account hacked several times in that version).

We had a conference in our city about 2 years ago on bank transaction security that hosted a visit from an ex CIA agent that headed up their network security, his exact words were, “There is nothing you can do to prevent someone from getting into the information stored on your computer.” Even disconnecting yourself from a network or the internet wouldn’t prevent a physical hack (like ripping your hard drive out of your computer) if the information was important enough to warrant one.

The best line of defense is to make yourself as small of a target as possible or appear to not be worth the time (ie. This is why larger banks must concentrate more on security than a mom and pop bank in a little city outside of Lickn’Spit Arkansas).

Anyway… my point is, Blizzard and specifically D3 servers are far to large of a target to not have hacking attempts made on them. D3 is also controversial enough (as even seen on the Blues forums) that there are obviously people out there who want to make a point. Their target is massive right now.

May 21, 2012, 00:54
Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 21, 2012, 00:54
May 21, 2012, 00:54

Now that has got to be one of the single best ways I have ever seen to get a company to address an issue via a support ticket. Get mad and talk down to them... hmmm.

Personally, I use a custom key config and mine saves just fine and I have never had a problem with it. What custom controler are you using?

Re: Diablo III May 15th
May 17, 2012, 04:00
Re: Diablo III May 15th May 17, 2012, 04:00
May 17, 2012, 04:00

Ah, yeah.... I pieced all that together afterwards... sorry. Heard you guys had a rough launch.... hope it's cleared up now for you.

May 17, 2012, 03:59
Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 17, 2012, 03:59
May 17, 2012, 03:59

On a lighter note... my step-son started on Act 2 today after getting home from school and just finished Normal Mode... sheesh! I can't keep up with him on games...

Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy
May 17, 2012, 03:56
Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 17, 2012, 03:56
May 17, 2012, 03:56

Prez wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:15:
Krovven wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:30:
Prez wrote on May 16, 2012, 18:47:
I'm normally not a proponent for breaking the law, but if that is what happened (though frankly I doubt it is) then I say good on him.

Shame on you Prez. So much fucking hate about a goddamn video game, that you hope someone ruined everyone elses fun out of spite?

I may disagree with you on the whole idea that Diablo has to be a single-player experience, but shit like this just puts you in the same shit-pile as the rest of the trolls.

Sorry you feel that way, but I stand by it 100% regardless of how it makes you categorize me. And there's no hate involved; just cold, passionless logic. If people lose access to their game, to my mind the blame lies squarely on Blizzard for creating such a crappy system. I'm not being petty, though I admit I am being selfish. If enough people get screwed by Blizzard's always-online BS and stop supporting it for logical reasons, the industry will change back to one I would be happier with.

Come on- You're a smart guy. You had to know that hack attacks and Denial of Service attacks precluding you from playing at all were going to be a real possibility before going in. Whether they make me happy or not is irrelevant; the fact that Blizzard willingly put gamers at the risk of losing total access is their fault, not mine.

LMAO! DDOS!!! What a load of crap... any decent network with load balancing on it is pretty much immune to it now. I can assure you that any issues Bliz had during launch was NOT caused by this guy or any other yeah-whoo who thinks they can DDOS attack a company like Blizzard. Simple network security settings and practices avoid DOS based attacks... the effectiveness of them went away long back when IRC nuking was squashed... don't get me wrong, they were fun times... but anyone saying they are going to DOS or DDOS attack a network is either targeting a company/person that has no idea how to secure their network or is just outright lying.

May 16, 2012, 19:18
Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 16, 2012, 19:18
May 16, 2012, 19:18

I started reading through these but didn't have time to get through the first 3-5 pages of the oldest posts.

I woke up at 2:01 am at release... Honestly, I was surprised it went as smooth as it did. I was first able to log in around 2:20 am then couldn't get past the character creation. I then was logged out at around 2:35 am. After that, I couldn't log in until around 3:30 am at which point everything smoothed out and I have been able to get in game without acception ever since.

When I am in game, play is solid. I have yet to be disconnected during game play (save the one announced maint on the servers that was announced before they went down).

Given the volume, I was quite satisfied with how the release went and I absolutely love the game. My step-son has been playing with friend ever since release and has had nothing but good things to say about it. My five year old has run three builds (Monk, Wizard and Demon Hunter) and has also had no complaints ;P).

Just thought I would recap my experience on release day.

May 14, 2012, 19:54
Re: Diablo III May 15th May 14, 2012, 19:54
May 14, 2012, 19:54

I had one of my PC's with a corrupt set of install files so I had to redownload... it's pulling down strong at 3 mbs and almost finished. BTW... you can install now... just can't play.

May 14, 2012, 10:32
Re: Diablo III May 15th May 14, 2012, 10:32
May 14, 2012, 10:32

The wife is making a huge bowl of rotel dip for the guys tonight. She's the best!

May 14, 2012, 01:08
Re: Diablo III May 15th May 14, 2012, 01:08
May 14, 2012, 01:08

OK... I'm counting 23 hours 52 minutes... LOL

Re: Diablo III Interview
May 12, 2012, 22:44
Re: Diablo III Interview May 12, 2012, 22:44
May 12, 2012, 22:44

ASeven wrote on May 12, 2012, 21:27:
D3 ending has leaked to Youtube.

It's... well... not good.
I will resist the urge to look it up. ;-)

It may very well be the first time my will power (like hot butter) holds fast.

May 12, 2012, 08:39
Re: Diablo III Interview May 12, 2012, 08:39
May 12, 2012, 08:39

yup, yup... same with the digital copy. Best you can do to prepare is uninstall the Beta and have the other on stand-by.
I guess a defrag can't hurt either ;-)

BTW... killer specs on your rig Theyarecomingforyou!

May 11, 2012, 22:11
Re: Diablo III Interview May 11, 2012, 22:11
May 11, 2012, 22:11

I've had it!

I just tried to get on Steam to play a SINGLE PLAYER game (Fallout 3) that I have been using to kill time and the freaking network is down from my location! Now I can't play a game that I paid for!

I can't wait until D3 comes out and I don't have to deal with this crap anymore! Furious2

May 11, 2012, 18:07
Re: Diablo III Interview May 11, 2012, 18:07
May 11, 2012, 18:07

Verno wrote on May 11, 2012, 08:39:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_calling_the_kettle_black
Yes but if that pot had a huge helping of chicken and hoe-made dumplings... and said kettle contained melted chocolate, milk and sugar (ala. hoe-made hot choco)... we could keep the IHOP reference going... Worship
78 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older