Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 238 (Novice)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2019, 16:00 DrSquick

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 16, 2019, 13:51:
Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2019, 12:50:
Yeah, it must be exhausting getting insanely overpaid for sitting around and talking about dumb shit for a few hours a day.
Rolleyes

He makes a video every single day. With edits and needing to generate content for it. Everyone burns out eventually.

It's ok to be jealous.. I am too.

I can't imagine he does his own editing. I know quite a few YouTube channels with "just" a few hundred thousand subscribers that outsource their editing so all they need to do is shoot the raw footage and send it off.

I think "taking a break" is code for "retire a very wealthy man at 30."

And yes, I am jealous.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Released

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 12:31 DrSquick

I haven't played any of the Mercenaries games, but absolutely loved Mechwarrior 2 back in the day.

In this game are you in the pilot seat of a mech that you can customize? Or are you a commander in an overhead RTS-style game?

News Comments > Stadia Launch Follow-ups

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 17:03 DrSquick

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 12:59:
So to save yourself from having to download 105 GB for RDR2, you now get to download ~ 800GB to play it all the way through in 4K, at lesser visuals and with worse controls. And you pay the same price for the privilege.

Sounds great?

Stadia better really quickly ditch that whole Pay Full Price idea of theirs, or they're dead in the water by the time Xcloud hits.

(And it's Google, they could easily just throw 10 billion at this, buy every game for an entire year and put them on their subscription service as exclusives. We've already seen that publishers are totally on board with the whole exclusives idea.)

I have an awesome idea! We will pre-cache those graphics assets on the user's computers so they only need to download them once. Then, to reduce latency, we will have the client's PC do the rendering! Then, instead of paying $10/month, users can pre-pay for five years and we will give them that hardware for free! I call it the HomeCloud (trademark pending).

Google, I'm willing to sell my cutting-edge idea for one biiiiilion dollars!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2019, 23:12 DrSquick

Very interesting about the SIM swap scam. I've always heard that SMS two-factor authentication was not very secure, but I never understood why; because unless I am clubbed over the head and my phone stolen how would an SMS message be intercepted?

We are obviously only hearing one side of the case, and having $1.8M in crypto in a brokerage account is incredibly dumb, but seeing how the new iPhones do not have SIMs, moving a phone number to a new SIM card/virtual SIM card is a very regular activity, I can totally see how an insider could move your phone number over to a new device to intercept a two-factor code to steal millions of dollars without it triggering any alerts.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2019, 23:05 DrSquick

I don't understand the Panera "uproar" at all. You can go to most grocery stores and get Panera mac and cheese... Frozen...

My understanding is basically every chain does this. Figure out how to make the food "perfect" then cook it in one or a few centralized manufacturing centers and send it out to restaurants with instructions to heat it to 165F for X minutes, or forever, to kill any bacteria in it. It's become popular as "sous vide" but has been very popular for years because if the water is 165, the bagged ingredients never go above that temperature, so they can't burn and are guaranteed e-coli free. It's also how every steakhouse works... Sous vide the steak to 140F, and when the guest asks for a medium-rare steak you pull that bag, sear it, and send it out 60 seconds later.

I feel like the same people outraged at this are also outraged that Chipotle had a huge e-coli outbreak because they sourced lettuce locally and it had laborer poop on it. Chipotle also now centralizes the cooking of nearly every meat to cut down on food-borne contains.

You can't have mass-market fast food and food safety without water bath heating.

News Comments > Dauntless Launches This Month

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2019, 00:24 DrSquick

I don't post too often, but have been a Blues reader since dialup days.

I really like this game! I bought Monster Hunter World on pre-order, and it was my first monster hunter game. And I honestly don't like it much. I don't like hunting alone, and it is frustrating to spend 30 minutes tracking a monster to have it fly away 4 times before I can kill it.

Dauntless is the fun of fighting a big boss with very little story or world building. I totally understand those are lots of people's favorite parts. But in Dauntless you are automatically matched with three other people and you are dropped in a small world with no other bad guys other than the guy you are fighting. Someone will find him within 1-2 minutes, and send up a flare. Then it's all timing your attacks and dodging at the right time.

I haven't spent a cent on the game, and I doubt I will (sorry), but it has given me dozens of hours of fun gameplay.

If you want super in-depth monster tracking, and to feel like finding the monster was a big accomplishment, Monster Hunter is your game. If you want to just hit Find Match and within a couple minutes join three others to wreck a monster that will kill you 10 times if you don't dodge at the right time, then Dauntless is for you.

Note, I have no affiliation to either game. I've paid full price for MH and paid nothing to Dauntless.

News Comments > ArcheAge: Unchained This Month

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2019, 22:04 DrSquick

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 2, 2019, 21:36:
DrSquick wrote on Sep 2, 2019, 16:24:
One thing I really liked about this game was you could build a house in the open world, not some boring instanced area, and then you can farm stuff there that can be harvested after some number of real world hours. Then the final step is combining ingredients into trade packs that have to be moved by cars across the planet. The further you go, the more it is worth.

I never got into the pvp aspect, but you can make even more if you put them on ships and cross the ocean, but the ocean is a pvp zone. So you might spend a week building dozens of these trade packs, load them up on your ship, and if you make it to the other side make a ton of money. But if the other faction or a pirate discovers you, you could lose it all.

It probably isn't worth a second play, but it was a unique game for sure.

You mean like Farmville?

Actually yeah... It's definitely not for everyone, but there is definitely some zen to making plots, planting, watering, and harvesting. There's just not the energy aspect of Farmville where you can only harvest so many then you need to wait. The limiter in ArcheAge is physical space. The plots are fairly small, so you can't grow unlimited crops.

News Comments > ArcheAge: Unchained This Month

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2019, 16:24 DrSquick

One thing I really liked about this game was you could build a house in the open world, not some boring instanced area, and then you can farm stuff there that can be harvested after some number of real world hours. Then the final step is combining ingredients into trade packs that have to be moved by cars across the planet. The further you go, the more it is worth.

I never got into the pvp aspect, but you can make even more if you put them on ships and cross the ocean, but the ocean is a pvp zone. So you might spend a week building dozens of these trade packs, load them up on your ship, and if you make it to the other side make a ton of money. But if the other faction or a pirate discovers you, you could lose it all.

It probably isn't worth a second play, but it was a unique game for sure.

News Comments > Oxygen Not Included Released

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2019, 10:59 DrSquick

I'll also agree that this is a super fun game. Just be prepared that you will fail a few times, and that's part of the experience. Dwarf Fortress calls that "FUN" in quotes.

My first base I started I was not aware of germs being a thing. So I had this big ole water pool for the little guys to drink from and cook. My bathrooms were set up above that, and I ran the polluted water from the sinks and toilets into a water filter, and then right back into the clean water pool. A--ok, right?

Well... No... There are still lots of germs in that poop water even after being filtered. So within a couple of days my people were puking everywhere, causing more germs. All the hospital beds were full. People were fighting and puking. Everyone ran out of food because no one could cook. Aaaand everyone died.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 13:34 DrSquick

The other thing is Traverse City is a tourist town. It is in the Northern part of Michigan and is an iceberg for 8 months out of the year. But in the summer it has lots of vineyards, movie festivals, and other touristy things.

I don't see them attracting any big companies to come just because they have fiber Internet. You need a snow mobile to get around for most of the year!

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained & Hero Academies Closing

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 22:53 DrSquick

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 18:56:
Well, good.

I loved OMD1 and 2, played them a ton, even convinced my COOP people to play them a bit with me, but none of us wanted the F2P version. The sooner all these F2P microtransaction cash grabs, and mobile spinoffs die, the better.

Same here... OMD1 was amazing, and luckily I had a buddy that wanted to duo OMD2. Duoing the whole game with the same person was an incredible gaming experience!

I tried the OMD Unchained game, and it felt like a cross between OMD and a MOBA, and I just couldn't get into it. I don't want to fight other people, I want to make crazy trap mazes that hordes of AI go through and die; then play with trap configs until we get it right. I think OMD2 holds up really well, and is still one of the best 2 player co-op games!

News Comments > Discord Store Undercuts Epic With 10% Split

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 14, 2018, 19:01 DrSquick

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 18:51:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 18:48:
Oh Snap!
Merry XMas MoFos
uh wait, wat
How is this good for the consumer???

What does Steam do to justify a 30% cut? Great customer support? An app that's better than moderately passable? It took them 15 years to offer a return policy even! Their server craps itself every sale, voice chat fails 10% of the time.

Distributors in other sectors like IT hardware and software thrive on less than a 1% cut! Here's the financials for Ingram Micro, the largest software/hardware distributor in the world. They made $215M in after-expense income on $43 BILLION in sales. That's 0.49%.
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 18:51:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2018, 18:48:
Oh Snap!
Merry XMas MoFos
uh wait, wat
How is this good for the consumer???

What does Steam do to justify a 30% cut? Great customer support? An app that's better than moderately passable? It took them 15 years to offer a return policy even! Their server craps itself every sale, voice chat fails 10% of the time.

Distributors in other sectors like IT hardware and software thrive on less than a 1% cut! Here's the financials for Ingram Micro, the largest software/hardware distributor in the world. They made $215M in after-expense income on $43 BILLION in sales. That's 0.49%. https://ingrammicro.gcs-web.com/node/21876/html

News Comments > Farming Simulator 19 Trailer

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2018, 18:38 DrSquick

jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2018, 14:27:
They keep making these, so they must be selling them...

It's my guilty pleasure... I buy it every four years or so, and it's a blast to put on a show or listen to a podcast and just farm. They have a good curve too. You start with a slow and narrow machine and just one field. Then every couple hours of playing you can upgrade until you are at the point that you have dozens of plots and giant multi-million dollar machines.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2018, 14:35 DrSquick

Wow that article about the poor overworked USPS worker is the most millennial garbage I've ever read.

We feel enslaved by our largest customer's overwhelming amount of work, even though we are paid very well for a job a robot can do in five years, have a pension, get paid time and a half for OT.

I guarantee you we will see those exact people bitching about Amazon's automated delivery vehicles taking their beloved jobs in a few years.

News Comments > HELLGATE: London Returning (Again) Next Month

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2018, 14:01 DrSquick

Why didn't you guys like this game? I have very fond memories of it when it came out. It was a first-person shooter version of Diablo. I remember the weapons being super varied and interesting and the game being a fun mindless monster stomp.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2018, 20:59 DrSquick

Couldn't agree more... It seems like he thinks he is too big to fail. I figured this SEC thing would maybe cost him a few million, but, "and to bar Musk from serving as an officer or director of a public company." Woah... That would be pretty crazy to have him removed from Tesla completely!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2018, 11:54 DrSquick

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 11:11:
I seem to remember Tom's being wholly discredited back around like '04 or '06. I never use it for anything real - occasional troubleshooting Googles send me to their forums (never helpful), otherwise I just really like their hierarchies and avoid anything else.

Can't find anything that's lining up with my belief, though. I could be misremembering, but I thought most abandoned it ages ago.

He sold the site around that time. He was actually a medical doctor that liked tech, but never really liked the editorial side, so he sold the site.

So you are right, around that time it was no longer run by Tom. It's ever worse now because their model is to find highly searched terms in Google and then quickly write content that day for those terms. Icky!

News Comments > No 2019 Assassin's Creed

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2018, 14:24 DrSquick

I'm hoping they took my advice and are pivotting to make the next game a battle royal MOBA-style MMO on the blockchain!  

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2018, 11:26 DrSquick

Timmeh wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 11:15:
DrSquick wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 11:11:
I ignored NMS for the first couple years and picked it up when it was $15 I think. I definitely got my $15 out of it. So if it goes on deep sale like that again and you like games where you explore, mine stuff to make bigger stuff, and it now has a pretty good story line; get it.

Your statement completely freaks me out....

"I ignored NMS for the first COUPLE of years"

WTF happened to the last couple of years? wasn't this game released like last week?

*sigh*

1999 was almost 20 years ago.

I like to remind my wife that her favorite songs were 20+ years old. She appreciates it.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2018, 11:11 DrSquick

I ignored NMS for the first couple years and picked it up when it was $15 I think. I definitely got my $15 out of it. So if it goes on deep sale like that again and you like games where you explore, mine stuff to make bigger stuff, and it now has a pretty good story line; get it.  

238 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >