Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 159 (Novice)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2016, 22:08 DrSquick

Has anyone been having crashing with the driver previous to this? In Overwatch I have been getting a "display driver stopped responding" about once an hour. I monitored GPU temp and it doesn't seem to be high temp, it maxes out at about 80C, but it sometimes crashes as low as 71. I'm hoping this new driver stops it. I'm on a 770.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Launches
3. Re: Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Launches Sep 2, 2016, 22:27 DrSquick

ledhead1969 wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 21:57:
DrSquick wrote on Sep 2, 2016, 21:17:
I have a ton of respect for these devs!

Then they deserve more than $15 from you.

Maybe, but I've only spent ~50ish hours in it... I am probably not the main "whale" they are looking for that spends thousands of hours on one game. So sorry, $15 is the best I can do

News Comments > Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Launches
1. Re: Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds Launches Sep 2, 2016, 21:17 DrSquick

I really feel like PoE is the best example of Free to Play done right... Without spending $1 you can have hundreds of hours of fun and never reach a peak. But if you want to horde crap like me and need ten extra bags you can catch them on sale a couple times a year at 25% off. Or if you are the skin/visual effect type, they have pretty awesome ones for $20+, which is crazy to me, but I'm sure some people say the same thing about me buying a ten pack of bags.

I have only bought one pack of ten bags for ~$15, but I come back to PoE every six months or so and have a blast. And to the best of my knowledge they don't have a single "pay to win" aspect.

I have a ton of respect for these devs!

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Testing Skipping PCs
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2016, 20:59 DrSquick

Hump wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 20:46:
is it wrong that I really don't give a shit?

I bought Titanfall 1 on some crazy sale... And haven't launched it once... I'm a terrible person.

News Comments > Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2016, 22:40 DrSquick

I'm not an expert on this at all, but 1000ms/63 ticks is 15ms. Does that mean we will need a 15ms ping to the server or we will have lost ticks? If so, that's pretty aggressive I think!  

News Comments > Pure Farming 17: The Simulator Announced
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2016, 12:40 DrSquick

I've only played one Farming Sim game, I think it was the 2015 version, and it was a lot of fun! It is a super relaxing game, so I would usually watch Netflix or listen to podcasts while playing. But there are mods that really up the immersion with things like being able to make paths and hire AI help to truck your stuff around. Then there are other mods that add things like soil health, having to rotate crops or your soil dies, etc.

So it can become a very in-depth simulation/tycoon game with mods.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2016, 09:29 DrSquick

Blue wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 07:29:
LiTh wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 18:08:
Why not just find a local store with the model your looking at and bring a tape measure to make sure?

It isn't a question of whether the measurements are accurate. It is a question of whether it will actually be practical to install a 32.75" fridge in a 33" space. The concern is it will leave me with door clearance or ventilation issues (like those discussed here).

If it's anything like my spot, there are many inches above the fridge before the upper cabinets for ventilation (and dust). So check the height dimension and make sure you have a little bit of room for the hot air to rise and get out.

Also, one tip that I didn't realize, is the leveling feet are not used just for leveling... They are also used to get the fridge off the rollers. I was pulling my fridge out every time I would open the freezer and it was driving me nuts. Then it dawned on me to extend the leveling feet. Problem solved!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2016, 13:08 DrSquick

In our new house the spot for the fridge is 36.1" or tighter. We bought a 36" fridge, and it is 36" on the dot. It slips into the spot absolutely perfectly. So I think now-in-days the width on the fridge is the outside dimension exactly, since so many fridge cubbies need an exact measurement, so the tolerance is exact.

One thing we got with our new fridge is a dual condenser model. On our old one the air freely moved between the freezer and fridge, so your ice would taste like whatever was in your fridge. Mmmmm, fishy ice! Now, for a fairly small upcharge, you can get a dual condenser model, so the two compartments are totally separate.

I also really love the models that have a pull-out fridge on the bottom, and french doors on the top; versus side-by-side models. The bar down the middle of a side-by-side wastes a ton of space. We now never run out of fridge space.

Good luck on your fridging! If you would like me to look some models up on Consumer Reports just shoot me an email and I'd be more than happy to do that for you!

News Comments > Rocket League Soars Past 19M Players
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2016, 11:24 DrSquick

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 10:07:
This is truly impressive. Never tried it, but it looks like a lot of fun so KUDOS to the devs.

I played it during the free weekend, and it's hella fun! It is so fluid and takes minutes to learn. It isn't a complex game by any means, but is so fluid and polished that it deserves all the success it has.

I personally didn't buy it because it was so close to the Overwatch release. But it is definitely a super fun game.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2016, 15:54 DrSquick

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 14:04:
Google+ turns five, noone shows up for birthday party.

The invitation was sent out on their Google+ page

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 15
13. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 15 Jun 27, 2016, 14:10 DrSquick

Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2016, 13:47:
I missed out on this, think I was playing EQ back then dragging my dead bodies to graveyards, no doubt. Biting

Would this be worth checking out now days, as a new player? Or maybe this is another bad example of Funcom F2P? I really liked The Secret World, so not just knocking Funcom round.

If you can get past the 15-year old graphics you can try it out. But honestly, I could not... At the time, I absolutely loved it, and probably put 1,000 hours or more into it. But a couple years ago I tried and the graphics are just too bad. :/

News Comments > Anarchy Online Turns 15
4. Re: Anarchy Online Turns 15 Jun 27, 2016, 11:39 DrSquick

I loved this game! It got SO complex when tiering-up implants. You had basically two sets of equipment; your armor, but also a set of implants. The check for requirements on implants was only checked at the point that the implant was installed. So you would have gatherings of every class that could buff a certain stat, and the best at it was a very weak/hard to play class that I think was called a Metaphysist or something like that. Then you would have them buff you, put a set of implants and armor on that would buff one stat, then swap to MUCH more powerful implants. Then even after all the buffs fell off your implants would still be there.

I remember I had like a level 14 sniper with some ungodly strong sniper rifle, and it took dozens of hours to get all the implants and people together to get him buffed like that.

AO also had my favorite class of all time... The Doctor! That ended up making my nickname for all future games...

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Martyr Videos
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2016, 09:37 DrSquick

I just want the 40k announcer dude to follow me around and narrate my life for a day... Instead of "forged in battle..." it will be "cooked in microwave, boiled for ten thousand years..."  

News Comments > PAYDAY 3 Confirmed; PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions End
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 31, 2016, 13:32 DrSquick

El Pit wrote on May 31, 2016, 10:50:
Payday 3 - Now with bots that actually work! (Fineprint: Bots not included, bot slots can be bought via DLC - each bot slot just $9.99).

It looks like you don't have enough people for this heist. Would you like to add a bot for 1 PayBuck? Share on Facebook for a chance to win 100 PayBucks. Click here to buy more PayBucks.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 11:57 DrSquick

sauron wrote on Mar 29, 2016, 11:26:
I don't think you should feel cheap about asking for an evaluation unit, Blue. The site has been online for almost 20 years and has had over 900 million visitors. I'd have thought the manufacturers would love the attention.

Yeah no kidding... BluesNews is the only review site I visit daily, and I refer dozens of links to various tech reviews out to my colleagues. I think it is a no-brainer that you should email them and let them know you have xxx,xxx unique readers per day, have been around for two years, and with VR being one of the hottest things in tech, you would love to review the units. Their PR people would be out of their minds to not overnight you a unit.

News Comments > X Rebirth Expansion; Patch; Demo
16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2016, 09:21 DrSquick

Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 20:40:
Vall Forran wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 19:47:
Go play Elite. Or previous X-games (though how people call Elite boring compared to that I will never understand).

X3:TC and X3:AP are significantly more "filled" games than Elite is. There is an absolute shitload of stuff to do in both games. Campaigns for all races, build your own stations, build your own production lines, own entire fleets of ships, set up trading fleets, build your own headquarters and own ships, capture ships, pirating, trading. I'm not harping on Elite, but the amount of things to do in the previous two X games is enormous.

Yes! If you can get past the learning curve, X3:TC is the game I have the most time logged on. It is amazing to go from a nobody to having fleets of dozens of ships, then drilling into an asteroid and building your own space stations with interlocking components to create full manufacturing networks. Absolutely exceptional game!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2016, 10:52 DrSquick

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 10:27:
Star Citizen will meet or exceed every gamers dream for flight sim, space sim, walking sim, war sim, civilization sim, exploration sim, space trucking sim, racing sim, first person shooter, mmorts and mmorpg.

I just invested another $10M to get the city builder and tycoon portion of Star Citizen so that will round out the game so it has every single genre there is!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2016, 13:50 DrSquick

nin wrote on Feb 8, 2016, 10:17:
I bet I am still writing Year of the Goat on my checks for the next couple of weeks.

Never gets old...

I was getting nervous as I got to the end of the OotB that he might forget to put that, but I was relieved.

I always use that joke to someone at the office and appropriate groans are had.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2015, 19:21 DrSquick

Initially I was appalled at the Amazon Video "add on" thing, but it really seems like the "make your own bundle" that everyone has wanted from cable TV for ages. If I like boxing, history, and concerts I can choose to just subscribe to those.

I'm on board for sure once it gets more mature and things like MLB get added with the Fox Sports broadcasters. It's at least a bit closer to my dream of everything on demand, all the time. Where there is no such thing as "live TV."

News Comments > Steam Fall Sale
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2015, 20:45 DrSquick

nin wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 20:03:
I actual kind of miss flash sales and voting. There was really something fucked up (yet fun) about rolling over in bed and checking steam at 2am.

Absolutely! The old Steam sales where each game had mini events where you had to do certain things to win coal or other game prizes was great!

I heard that refunds are the reason Flash Sales are gone, unfortunately. Seeing a lower price is a valid reason to request a refund from Steam. So to avoid hundreds of thousands of people requesting refunds they just removed Flash Sales.

This is super boring and really removes some of the magic of Steam Sales, in my opinion. I'm pretty bummed.

159 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo