Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 190 (Novice)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2017, 20:52 DrSquick

Hey Blue, FYI - you might have an epic wind storm coming your way. I'm in Michigan and all day we have had a high wind warning with gusts up to 68 MPH! We have 750,000 houses without power... It's the second largest outage in Michigan ever.

So FYI, you might want to start the cannibalism, looting, and pillaging in advance to get the best pick!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined
4. Re: Conan Exiles Sales Success; Future Plans Outlined Mar 6, 2017, 22:59 DrSquick

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:40:
Good for them. I want this game, but after ARK no way in hell I'm touching a survival game until it's done, or the end is in sight.

What don't you like about ARK? I bought it pretty close to launch, and the performance was WAY too bad for me to play. A few months ago I got on a survival kick, and played a bunch of survival games. I will say Subnautica is an absolutely exceptional game (just don't read anything about it... Go in blind, the story line is great). Then I chewed through that in 20ish hours, and now I'm back to ARK. Performance still sucks, and taming dinos takes a thousand years, even on 3x speed... But it's a very fun survival game!

News Comments > Cities Skylines Mass Transit Announced
1. Re: Cities Skylines Mass Transit Announced Feb 28, 2017, 23:02 DrSquick

I hope these guys are having exceptional success! I believe they are a pretty small team, and I love city builder games. So I hope this game is having enough success to keep them going and maybe rejuvenating the whole type!  

News Comments > Avatar Game Announced
18. Re: Avatar Game Announced Feb 28, 2017, 22:00 DrSquick

Avus wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 18:55:
i hope it is not another MP only game. Both Rainbow 6 Siege and For Honor netcode are pretty suck...

Don't worry, it won't be MP only. It'll actually be a mobile free to play game with microtransactions that allow you to control how large your blue epeen is!

36. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2017, 22:16 DrSquick

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 19:07:
No Saturday post as of yet. I wonder if Blue is moving today.

Yeah I hope he's ok... I've been coming here 3x daily for at least ten years, probably more... And I don't recall ever seeing him miss a day. Hopefully there's good news.

News Comments > Next Overwatch Hero Greek?
5. Re: Next Overwatch Hero Greek? Feb 20, 2017, 12:26 DrSquick

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 09:30:
Oh, I can't wait for the fan fiction on this one...

I hope the official stuff goes more like Ana's release... Hint for a week or two, and then put it on the test server. Sombra's reveal was ridiculously long, probably in the four month or more mark. I really feel like Sombra's first hint was an accident, and the hero was nowhere near ready, so they had to keep coming up with hints to buy time till development could be finished.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 10:24 DrSquick

Wow, BlueTower going away? What's the new place going to be called I wonder... BlueFarm?

How far will you be from a major city? We just recently moved from the suburbs to 5 acres to have some land, but we are still just 30 minutes from a major city and 10 minutes from a small city. So it's pretty perfect - we have lots of room to let the kids go sledding in our back yard, have huge gardens, soon to be chickens, etc...

In terms of connectivity... We are faster here than we were in the suburbs! 80Mbit down, 20Mbit up, been nearly 100% uptime too.

I hope it goes great for you guys!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2017, 16:47 DrSquick

{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 14:18:
Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 5, 2017, 12:53:
survival is the new WW2

Rust is still the best of them

Can you play Rust locally / single player? I bought it when it was first released, and played the heck out of it, but I've heard a ton has changed and wanted to see what was new. But I don't see a way to start your own server or play locally. Is that an option in Rust do you know?

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Patch Adds Tek Content
4. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Patch Adds Tek Content Jan 31, 2017, 12:01 DrSquick

I tried playing this game a year or so ago, and it was so poorly optimized that I struggled to get 30 FPS with everything cranked super low, even with a half decent system that can run other new games with everything maxed.

Does anyone know if that has been resolved? I did enjoy the few hours I could play. The leveling system is definitely interesting.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 23, 2017, 13:24 DrSquick

Hmm, that's a pretty impressive debrief to the public honestly... I was expecting them to shirk the blame off on some supplier and say they won't be using them any more.  

News Comments > Dark Souls III Ringed City DLC in March
7. Re: Dark Souls III Ringed City DLC in March Jan 23, 2017, 13:16 DrSquick

Primalchrome wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 12:59:
DrSquick wrote on Jan 23, 2017, 12:44:
Edit : I read this after posting and I sound like a total judgmental shitheel. Soulsborne games are fun, regardless of how you approach them. I do the same thing you do.... I do a level as far as I can and then look up online to see what all I'm missing. If I get hung up on a boss for a few days, I look up what kind of tactics work for other people.

I also have to look online for explanations of the lore and how some of the quests work. They are way too nebulous for me to process well. Some of them I get....but many are wayyyyy too murky for these old eyes.

No, I understand what you mean, and they probably aren't for me. I'm glad people love them though. I'm also not a "bullet hell" genre gamer either. I like slower paced games that I can think 10 steps ahead. I also don't enjoy playing games on "Hard" either. And Dark Souls is definitely Hard++++++.

In a lot of ways, Dark Souls feels like the newer version of Contra for the NES. One hit and you are dead, so you end up needing to learn where every enemy is.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Ringed City DLC in March
5. Re: Dark Souls III Ringed City DLC in March Jan 23, 2017, 12:44 DrSquick

I know people love the Dark Souls games, but they just haven't hooked me. To me the whole game revolves around walking ten feet, having a skeleton jump out at you and kill you. Then you start again, now knowing that skeleton is there, kill him, walk another ten feet, and a dragon comes out of nowhere and kills you. Then finally you get to the boss after 40 deaths, and unless you look up how to beat him online, you will get killed in 10 seconds, and have to go all the way back.

It feels like it is an incredibly short game that gets people to feel like the game is longer by making you go through the same area dozens of times.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Jan 16, 2017, 12:19 DrSquick

Task wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 11:03:
What is Valve's next new game?

Don't they make buckets more money from Steam and their free to play games? I can't imagine it would be cost effective to invest the tens or hundreds of thousands of man hours into developing a proper HL3 that would live up to a tiny portion of the hype.

A quick Google says that they made $400M on DOTA, TF2, and CSGo, and another $330M on royalties from Steam. Diablo 3 looks like it sold 20M copies in two years, and a total of 30M copies in five years. So if we assume HL3 would sell as well, at $60, that's $1.8B in five years, or about two years of revenue from their existing titles. They would also have to consider if HL3 would cannibalize sales from the other games. I would certainly think in the first few months many players would leave those other games to play HL3.

So while HL3 would probably generate a ton of money, it could end up hurting the Valve brand because the game can never live up to the hype. And Valve is possibly one of the most profitable companies I've ever heard of with over $2M/employee in revenue!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2017, 15:49 DrSquick

Blue, your site is the only one that I have whitelisted on uBlock, and after about 15 seconds I was forwarded from BluesNews to Sheopet-home.org and it was a big screen that said "Urgent Chrome Update" and had a download to a zip file.

Not sure if you have a way to report bad ads, but if you do, please send that one over.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 12, 2016, 10:50 DrSquick

"They should sell an SE with a stepstool." is probably the best biline I've seen in a while Blue.

I just don't get how anyone can handle walking in VR games without getting horribly sick. I played Elite Dangerous with a Rift beta 2 last year, and was really blown away by the immersion. In the game you can choose your HOTAS controller, and the game actually renders that controller and your virtual arms. So if you turn your head to the left and down to look at your controller, you see a virtual arm holding the exact controller you are in the real world. It was SO immersive! But that's a game where you are seated the whole time. Any of the walking games made me nauseous almost immediately.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Beta Plans
6. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 1, 2016, 22:33 DrSquick

nin wrote on Dec 1, 2016, 20:11:
If you'd like a look at what this is going to look like, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

I can't wait to play it...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I was expecting a MechWarrior running the Unreal 5 6 or whatever the latest engine is... Not expecting that :/

News Comments > BATTLETECH Beta Plans
1. Re: BATTLETECH Beta Plans Dec 1, 2016, 19:24 DrSquick

OoooOOooo, was this the company that had those mech pods that would be at gaming conventions that you could pay $20 or so to play a 10 or 15 minute match and the pods would rumble all around? Those were a blast!

I hope this is as good as MechWarrior 2 was in my mind. I loved me a mech that was loaded out with PPCs and would only get one volley before having to cool down!

Are any of the other mech games out there any good these days? Isn't there a free to play one?

News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Sells 1M
7. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Sells 1M Nov 24, 2016, 22:09 DrSquick

Wow that's amazing! I did finally jump on the Farming Sim bandwagon when the last one came out. And I actually found it really fun. I would listen to podcasts or watch Let's Plays on the other monitor while calmly farming.

They also are heavily modded, and one of the mods lets you build fairly advance AIs that will drive along paths you set out and do stuff like pick up grain that you shovel into them, or seed fields and such.

It's 100% a simulator though. It is a 1 out of 100 on the intensity scale. So it's best for people that want a very low key game where they can just kick back and relax.

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Spotted?
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2016, 11:59 DrSquick

MoonSpook wrote on Nov 1, 2016, 11:43:
I have a large hunch that they're announcing Diablo 4. Admittedly that's based purely on a tweet from the official account the other week that asked what was your favourite part of D3 using the ThrowbackThursday tag - referring to D3 as well and truly in the past, and not a current game. But hey, that's what I'm going with.

It's going to be a mobile free to play game!

"Identifying this item requires a scroll of identify. Ask your Facebook friends for a scroll of identify or spend a gem to quickly identify it!"

>shivers

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2016, 10:25 DrSquick

Minor Miner

A jailbait simulator.

190 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo