Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Eric Phillips

Real Name Eric Phillips   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrSquick
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 29, 2012, 18:44
Total Comments 223 (Novice)
User ID 57381

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2018, 20:59 DrSquick

Couldn't agree more... It seems like he thinks he is too big to fail. I figured this SEC thing would maybe cost him a few million, but, "and to bar Musk from serving as an officer or director of a public company." Woah... That would be pretty crazy to have him removed from Tesla completely!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2018, 11:54 DrSquick

Beamer wrote on Aug 29, 2018, 11:11:
I seem to remember Tom's being wholly discredited back around like '04 or '06. I never use it for anything real - occasional troubleshooting Googles send me to their forums (never helpful), otherwise I just really like their hierarchies and avoid anything else.

Can't find anything that's lining up with my belief, though. I could be misremembering, but I thought most abandoned it ages ago.

He sold the site around that time. He was actually a medical doctor that liked tech, but never really liked the editorial side, so he sold the site.

So you are right, around that time it was no longer run by Tom. It's ever worse now because their model is to find highly searched terms in Google and then quickly write content that day for those terms. Icky!

News Comments > No 2019 Assassin's Creed
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2018, 14:24 DrSquick

I'm hoping they took my advice and are pivotting to make the next game a battle royal MOBA-style MMO on the blockchain!  

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2018, 11:26 DrSquick

Timmeh wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 11:15:
DrSquick wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 11:11:
I ignored NMS for the first couple years and picked it up when it was $15 I think. I definitely got my $15 out of it. So if it goes on deep sale like that again and you like games where you explore, mine stuff to make bigger stuff, and it now has a pretty good story line; get it.

Your statement completely freaks me out....

"I ignored NMS for the first COUPLE of years"

WTF happened to the last couple of years? wasn't this game released like last week?

*sigh*

1999 was almost 20 years ago.

I like to remind my wife that her favorite songs were 20+ years old. She appreciates it.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 23, 2018, 11:11 DrSquick

I ignored NMS for the first couple years and picked it up when it was $15 I think. I definitely got my $15 out of it. So if it goes on deep sale like that again and you like games where you explore, mine stuff to make bigger stuff, and it now has a pretty good story line; get it.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2018, 20:20 DrSquick

Does anyone remember playing LORD - Legend of the Red Dragon on a BBS? It was a turn-based multiplayer game where every real world day would advance to the next turn, and everyone would dial in and do their turn for that day.  

News Comments > Fallout Tease?
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2018, 22:18 DrSquick

99% chance it is a sequel to the mobile base building game released about a year ago, I think.

Except this time... It is a battle royale game, and has real money loot boxes!

OHHH YEAH! Isn't that what everyone wants!?

But really, if it is a true sequel to Fallout or TES, I'd be very excited!

News Comments > Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free
21. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2018, 23:03 DrSquick

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2018, 22:25:
I was mad for UT. Loved it a metric fuckton more than Doom, Quake, et al. UT CTF, good times.

2 Towers will always hold a special place for me... I remember sitting in the enemy tower sniping people in the back using my laser trackball. That stupid thing gathered more nastiness than any mouse, but man did I love it...

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Adds Multiplayer in July
10. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2018, 21:21 DrSquick

I know people love to hate this game, but I bought it for about $20 or maybe even less in this past Winter, and I thought it was a very fun chill game if you like exploring, crafting, and mining. I understand it was WAAAAY oversold, but if you go into it expecting a $20 game, I thought it was a very nice game to play while watching Netflix or a stream.  

News Comments > Deckard Cain Coming to HotS to Stay Awhile and Talk
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 15:22 DrSquick

Being a MOBA I think they need to tweak some of the abilities...

"Stay a while and listen... To me banging your mom."

"I identify many things, like how bad you are at this game"

"The Horadrim are gone, but your virginity will remain forever"

News Comments > StarCraft Is Life: A 20th Anniversary Celebration
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2018, 21:52 DrSquick

Ant wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 21:19:
20 years already? I'm old.

Remember a song that came out in 1991? That's like 10 years old, right?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 22:43 DrSquick

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 11:51:
Okay, having a Con Ed. person sitting there 24/7 is not only odd, it is simply crazy. Never heard of such a thing. I'm glad the power lines in my neighborhood are underground. Power outages for me are always large deals which are almost always quickly addressed.

A different power company does the same thing in Michigan. After every storm the radio is filled with commercials letting us know that EVERY DTE Energy employee, including entry-level phone people, are dispatched after a storm to watch downed power lines.

I truly feel safe knowing that a 19 year old phone rep with one hour of training is taking care of me.

But I will say, less than a week ago when this same storm hit us I had an 8,000 volt line dragged down to my metal fence by a fallen tree 25' from my main entrance. I was a bit freaked out... I didn't touch the fence, the kids were not allowed out unless they were held by us. Even the power company employee that came the next day sorta did a limbo to not touch the possible energized fence. Our power flickered like crazy while the line was down, but we never went out, and I never saw a spark, so I have no idea if it was actually energized.

Power is scary yo...

News Comments > Subnautica Surfaces
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2018, 22:23 DrSquick

Very great game! If you can do it, play without Googling anything about it. It has a great storyline that would probably be totally lost if you learn about it.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2018, 20:59 DrSquick

I wish you well with your house/moving/job issue. I know moving to another state is wildly stressful, and I can imagine in her position something must have been pretty wrong for this to not work out.

I'd encourage you to think a bit if you want some land like you would have had (I think) in Pennsylvania. My family and I moved from a typical suburban house to almost the identical house on 5 acres, and it is amazing. We are still only 8 minutes from a grocery store, 20 minutes from a major town of 200k+ people, and 35 minutes from a massive city. But if I want to walk out to my garden nekkid I can, and not a soul will see me. I don't need to have curtains on my first floor windows any more, and it is a regular occurrence to have deer or a bunch of turkeys outside my window during my breakfast.

The breaking point for me was when I was carrying a 10 foot long 2x4 board sideways at my old house and I managed to hit both my house and my neighbor's house at the same time. I stopped and said, you got to be kidding me, my neighbor's house is closer to mine than the width of a tiny bedroom?

I know somewhat rural life is not for everyone, and some people love living in the middle of the city. But I hear Northern NY is incredibly beautiful, and you might be able to snag an awesome house on a bunch of land for way less than you are paying now if that's what you want.

Anyways, I have visited your site 3x-4x per day for the last 15 years at least, and hope you and your wife find exactly what will make you happy!

News Comments > VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 21:17 DrSquick

I tried a Rift dev kit 2 a few years ago and was quite unimpressed. However, I recently tried and immediately bought a current gen Rift with the hand controls, and am very impressed! The refresh rate on the hand and head tracking are amazing! The slightest movement by your hands is tracked in absolute real time.

I still get wicked motion sickness if I try traditional locomotion; but sitting games or teleportion works great.

My main complaint at the moment is quality games are pretty rare. Robo Recall is fantastic, but is only 5ish hours of play. The rest I've tried are pretty hollow and offer an hour or so of play each. Resolution is still too low to read anything that is not blown up huge.

It's an unbelievable experience. I hope the technology keeps evolving to advance the resolution, and hopefully games improve a bit; but I'm guessing there needs to be more headsets out there to provide the market base for the technology.

News Comments > Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2017, 22:27 DrSquick

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 20:32:
Does anyone doubt this thing will surpass the Duke Nukem Forever "records"? Call me when it does, until then.. *yawn*

I'm personally hoping it is released as a mobile free to play game with RobertBucks that can be used to give more "ship fuel" and play more.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2017, 21:41 DrSquick

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 21:36:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 15:58:
Giant space ants, maybe.

According to ZDNet Korea, the top of the line TV will be 150 inches.
Noice

Niiiice! For a mere four kidneys and a hotdog you can have a 150 inch TV. I had a 130" 1080P projector setup at my old basement, and it was amazing... But having a 7' ceiling sucked because if anyone got up they would block the picture. And you had a very expensive bulb and notable cool-down period. I'm sure it will never happen, but if there was a 150" TV that would be fantastic.

News Comments > Path of Exile Expansion Announced
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2017, 09:46 DrSquick

Always glad to see these guys doing well. I think it is probably the best example of a free to play game I've ever seen, and hopefully it is monetarily working well for them!

I know I've personally bought the ten stash bundle because I like to horde everything!

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 12:07 DrSquick

Congrats! This is definitely the only site I visit every day, and usually many times a day.

I do miss the holiday Blue's logos though...

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 11:02 DrSquick

Alamar wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 10:23:
That Survival Mode looks kind of cool... And annoying heh... The lower carry weight will probably suck more than the other changes though ; )

Yeah I agree. I'm a horrible hoarder in games like Skyrim. So my first few play through were stressful that I had to constantly decide if I wanted to hoof it back to my house to save stuff or leave it on the ground. Once I learned about mods I installed one that dramatically changed weights, like making potions 0 weight; and then the game became much more fun for me.

223 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo