Limit Results:

247 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older

Re: Evil Genius 2 Video
Jun 13, 2020, 22:22
Re: Evil Genius 2 Video Jun 13, 2020, 22:22
Jun 13, 2020, 22:22

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 13, 2020, 21:34:
I am truly looking forward to this as I tremendously enjoyed the first one and it was such an underrated gem.

Totally agree! My favorite part was making the front part of my base totally normal and not unusual, with a hallway of traps leading to the secret part of my base. So the super heroes would come investigate, and get the snot kicked out of them, and never see anything wrong; unless a minion opened the door at the wrong time.

Then I remember in a different part I would make a square of fans that would push the good guys around in a circle while flaming them over and over. Good fun!

Re: Get Overcooked for Free
Jun 4, 2020, 23:36
Re: Get Overcooked for Free Jun 4, 2020, 23:36
Jun 4, 2020, 23:36

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 20:09:
So, have you played it in the last 11 months? Care to give a brief review/rating?

I bought it for my office and at lunch we have played it at lunch. It's super fun local co-op. There's two ways to approach it... If you can work together a bit you will get 1-2 stars and complete the levels. If you can make a plan and execute on that plan, then you get three stars and you feel like you are amazing, even though you only just beat a level of a computer game.

It's boring/almost impossible solo. But it's fantastic with 2-4 people!

Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Re-Vealed
Jun 4, 2020, 11:58
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Re-Vealed Jun 4, 2020, 11:58
Jun 4, 2020, 11:58

El Pit wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 11:50:
I played the original game - now you can stone me, if you want - and liked it.
OUCH!
Who threw that rock?!

I loved it too! The idea that you can combine any of the classes and they are all viable is pretty awesome.

Re: Get Borderlands: The Handsome Collection for Free
May 28, 2020, 21:29
Re: Get Borderlands: The Handsome Collection for Free May 28, 2020, 21:29
May 28, 2020, 21:29

HorrorScope wrote on May 28, 2020, 12:41:
DrSquick wrote on May 28, 2020, 11:47:
So I've tried Borderlands 2 several times, and I get 10 hours or so into the story and it never seems to open up and I get stuck in some snowy area. I thought I've heard that at some point it becomes more like an ARPG where you grind for better loot. I've seen people with thousands of hours into it. Is there a different mode or do people just do the storyline over and over?

The story is way better than the typical ARPG. It has a story! It is well delivered as you play with good characters and voice acting. Is it some shakesperean feat? No. But a pretty good comedic one.

Yes you replay the story over and over for better loot, that is typical of ARPG's.

What are you expecting of this genre? What other ARPG's are doing something radically different? If it all ended at the end of the story, then the quest for more loot ends, game over, people complain.

And finally, yes there are people that don't like it and you can find someone else to agree with you, like any game ever. It is a widely respected and successful game. I have yet to try BL3.

I'm not entirely sure, but one thing that Diablo 3 does well is Adventure Mode. Which is a daily set of somewhat randomized quests in different areas. So every day you are going to different areas. I absolutely love the randomized loot with different attributes of games like BL and basically all ARPGs.

I'll try it again, because in theory BL should be one of my favorite games. I love randomized loot and shooters.

Re: Get Borderlands: The Handsome Collection for Free
May 28, 2020, 11:47
Re: Get Borderlands: The Handsome Collection for Free May 28, 2020, 11:47
May 28, 2020, 11:47

So I've tried Borderlands 2 several times, and I get 10 hours or so into the story and it never seems to open up and I get stuck in some snowy area. I thought I've heard that at some point it becomes more like an ARPG where you grind for better loot. I've seen people with thousands of hours into it. Is there a different mode or do people just do the storyline over and over?

Re: Get Assassin's Creed II Deluxe Edition for Free
Apr 14, 2020, 21:49
Re: Get Assassin's Creed II Deluxe Edition for Free Apr 14, 2020, 21:49
Apr 14, 2020, 21:49

Can anyone comment on how this holds up after all this time? I've never played any of the AC games.

Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Early Access
Mar 30, 2020, 10:43
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Early Access Mar 30, 2020, 10:43
Mar 30, 2020, 10:43

Beamer wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 10:19:
I had a blast with the original. I don't think I ever made it to end-game, but I definitely had an army of hundreds following me around conquering much of the lands. I think, close to end-game, either I stalled or the game did, and progress slowed to nothing despite fighting staying the same.

Was one of my favorites for the year.

I'm more hesitant about this. The original was super wonky, but that was endearing. There were bugs. Logic was completely nil, making some battles feel out of Monty Python. Or, maybe, it felt like a 90s EA NHL game - you just keep doing the same move, and the AI keeps falling for it, and if you mess up it's not that you were outsmarted, but you simply messed up. The arena fights, in particular, seemed to be mostly me running away like a lunatic until I got the right weapon, then turning around and slaughtering everyone (or something, it's been a while, but I seem to remember spending much of my time in those fleeing, yet also seem to remember them generally being very easy.)

This seems to me too polished, with too good graphics, and a lot added in that could detract from the core gameplay I loved.

Or maybe it's perfect. Let the reviews roll in (but I'd probably wait till it leaves EA.)

Same - I played hundreds of hours of Warband. The different types of combat were pretty great. Open field, defending a castle, attacking a castle, village missions, tournaments.

But I got burned so bad with X:Rebirth... I was waiting for the next X game for years, and I took a week of vacation off to play it. And it was a steaming pile of dooku. So I'm going to need to wait to see what people say after the initial glow has worn off.

Warband definitely has the graphics quality of a furry turd, but the gameplay holds up great! If you are an archer, you start with pretty terrible aim, but within 20-30 hours you are a crazy marksman that can put legolas to shame.

Re: X4: Foundations 3.0 Update and X4: Split Vendetta This Month
Mar 19, 2020, 15:16
Re: X4: Foundations 3.0 Update and X4: Split Vendetta This Month Mar 19, 2020, 15:16
Mar 19, 2020, 15:16

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 12:05:
Slashman wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 11:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 10:22:
I wonder how Egosoft feels.. now that Avorion is out..and is just vastly superior in every way aside graphics....

Just fine. I'm sure Avorion is a great game but modular ship building was never what X was about.

If you look at the changelogs for 3.0 you can see they are huge? This will be a massive update of the base game and (just my opinion) make X4 one of the most solid space games on the market. It did take awhile to get there though.

Would that be a good time to finally pull the trigger on this? I've been watching and waiting for it to finally be ready enough to buy.

I put 500+ hours into X3:TC, then another few hundred into a modded version of X3:TC. I bought X:R on release day and of course regretted it. I waited a year before I bought X4, and honestly could not get into it. I have about 8 hours into it. I got to the point where your personal HQ is built, I have a tier2 ship with four guns, which is pretty much invincible now to anyone I have run into. At that point my interest waned.

With the highway you can cruise around the whole galaxy in 60 seconds, so exploring a section does not feel like any sort of accomplishment. The economy does not seem to NEED you like it did in X3. In X3 it felt like the economy was in shambles without you. Satellites couldn't be made because the electronics factory had no material because the mines didn't have energy cells. So you could fill a giant freighter with tons of energy cells that you bought at rock-bottom price and sell for max price at the mine. Then after some time you could get another freighter to do the next step. And after a dozen hours or more you have single-handed fixed the economy of that sector.

Avorion is fantastic! I haven't played in about six months, so I'm not sure if they have added logistics chains. But the ship building, mining, and combat is super fun!

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 26, 2020, 00:16
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2020, 00:16
Jan 26, 2020, 00:16

I absolutely love the Chinese new year check comment. For the past 10 years I've said the same joke to my wife, and get a suitable groan; which sustains me for another year.

BluesNews has been there for nearly my whole digital life, and I visit 2-3 times per day, every day, forever...

Dec 16, 2019, 16:00
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2019, 16:00
Dec 16, 2019, 16:00

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 16, 2019, 13:51:
Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2019, 12:50:
Yeah, it must be exhausting getting insanely overpaid for sitting around and talking about dumb shit for a few hours a day.
Rolleyes

He makes a video every single day. With edits and needing to generate content for it. Everyone burns out eventually.

It's ok to be jealous.. I am too.

I can't imagine he does his own editing. I know quite a few YouTube channels with "just" a few hundred thousand subscribers that outsource their editing so all they need to do is shoot the raw footage and send it off.

I think "taking a break" is code for "retire a very wealthy man at 30."

And yes, I am jealous.

Dec 10, 2019, 12:31
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2019, 12:31
Dec 10, 2019, 12:31

I haven't played any of the Mercenaries games, but absolutely loved Mechwarrior 2 back in the day.

In this game are you in the pilot seat of a mech that you can customize? Or are you a commander in an overhead RTS-style game?

Nov 20, 2019, 17:03
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2019, 17:03
Nov 20, 2019, 17:03

Creston wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 12:59:
So to save yourself from having to download 105 GB for RDR2, you now get to download ~ 800GB to play it all the way through in 4K, at lesser visuals and with worse controls. And you pay the same price for the privilege.

Sounds great?

Stadia better really quickly ditch that whole Pay Full Price idea of theirs, or they're dead in the water by the time Xcloud hits.

(And it's Google, they could easily just throw 10 billion at this, buy every game for an entire year and put them on their subscription service as exclusives. We've already seen that publishers are totally on board with the whole exclusives idea.)

I have an awesome idea! We will pre-cache those graphics assets on the user's computers so they only need to download them once. Then, to reduce latency, we will have the client's PC do the rendering! Then, instead of paying $10/month, users can pre-pay for five years and we will give them that hardware for free! I call it the HomeCloud (trademark pending).

Google, I'm willing to sell my cutting-edge idea for one biiiiilion dollars!

Oct 24, 2019, 23:12
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2019, 23:12
Oct 24, 2019, 23:12

Very interesting about the SIM swap scam. I've always heard that SMS two-factor authentication was not very secure, but I never understood why; because unless I am clubbed over the head and my phone stolen how would an SMS message be intercepted?

We are obviously only hearing one side of the case, and having $1.8M in crypto in a brokerage account is incredibly dumb, but seeing how the new iPhones do not have SIMs, moving a phone number to a new SIM card/virtual SIM card is a very regular activity, I can totally see how an insider could move your phone number over to a new device to intercept a two-factor code to steal millions of dollars without it triggering any alerts.

Oct 14, 2019, 23:05
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2019, 23:05
Oct 14, 2019, 23:05

I don't understand the Panera "uproar" at all. You can go to most grocery stores and get Panera mac and cheese... Frozen...

My understanding is basically every chain does this. Figure out how to make the food "perfect" then cook it in one or a few centralized manufacturing centers and send it out to restaurants with instructions to heat it to 165F for X minutes, or forever, to kill any bacteria in it. It's become popular as "sous vide" but has been very popular for years because if the water is 165, the bagged ingredients never go above that temperature, so they can't burn and are guaranteed e-coli free. It's also how every steakhouse works... Sous vide the steak to 140F, and when the guest asks for a medium-rare steak you pull that bag, sear it, and send it out 60 seconds later.

I feel like the same people outraged at this are also outraged that Chipotle had a huge e-coli outbreak because they sourced lettuce locally and it had laborer poop on it. Chipotle also now centralizes the cooking of nearly every meat to cut down on food-borne contains.

You can't have mass-market fast food and food safety without water bath heating.

Sep 15, 2019, 00:24
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2019, 00:24
Sep 15, 2019, 00:24

I don't post too often, but have been a Blues reader since dialup days.

I really like this game! I bought Monster Hunter World on pre-order, and it was my first monster hunter game. And I honestly don't like it much. I don't like hunting alone, and it is frustrating to spend 30 minutes tracking a monster to have it fly away 4 times before I can kill it.

Dauntless is the fun of fighting a big boss with very little story or world building. I totally understand those are lots of people's favorite parts. But in Dauntless you are automatically matched with three other people and you are dropped in a small world with no other bad guys other than the guy you are fighting. Someone will find him within 1-2 minutes, and send up a flare. Then it's all timing your attacks and dodging at the right time.

I haven't spent a cent on the game, and I doubt I will (sorry), but it has given me dozens of hours of fun gameplay.

If you want super in-depth monster tracking, and to feel like finding the monster was a big accomplishment, Monster Hunter is your game. If you want to just hit Find Match and within a couple minutes join three others to wreck a monster that will kill you 10 times if you don't dodge at the right time, then Dauntless is for you.

Note, I have no affiliation to either game. I've paid full price for MH and paid nothing to Dauntless.

Sep 2, 2019, 22:04
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2019, 22:04
Sep 2, 2019, 22:04

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 2, 2019, 21:36:
DrSquick wrote on Sep 2, 2019, 16:24:
One thing I really liked about this game was you could build a house in the open world, not some boring instanced area, and then you can farm stuff there that can be harvested after some number of real world hours. Then the final step is combining ingredients into trade packs that have to be moved by cars across the planet. The further you go, the more it is worth.

I never got into the pvp aspect, but you can make even more if you put them on ships and cross the ocean, but the ocean is a pvp zone. So you might spend a week building dozens of these trade packs, load them up on your ship, and if you make it to the other side make a ton of money. But if the other faction or a pirate discovers you, you could lose it all.

It probably isn't worth a second play, but it was a unique game for sure.

You mean like Farmville?

Actually yeah... It's definitely not for everyone, but there is definitely some zen to making plots, planting, watering, and harvesting. There's just not the energy aspect of Farmville where you can only harvest so many then you need to wait. The limiter in ArcheAge is physical space. The plots are fairly small, so you can't grow unlimited crops.

Sep 2, 2019, 16:24
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2019, 16:24
Sep 2, 2019, 16:24

One thing I really liked about this game was you could build a house in the open world, not some boring instanced area, and then you can farm stuff there that can be harvested after some number of real world hours. Then the final step is combining ingredients into trade packs that have to be moved by cars across the planet. The further you go, the more it is worth.

I never got into the pvp aspect, but you can make even more if you put them on ships and cross the ocean, but the ocean is a pvp zone. So you might spend a week building dozens of these trade packs, load them up on your ship, and if you make it to the other side make a ton of money. But if the other faction or a pirate discovers you, you could lose it all.

It probably isn't worth a second play, but it was a unique game for sure.

Jul 31, 2019, 10:59
Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2019, 10:59
Jul 31, 2019, 10:59

I'll also agree that this is a super fun game. Just be prepared that you will fail a few times, and that's part of the experience. Dwarf Fortress calls that "FUN" in quotes.

My first base I started I was not aware of germs being a thing. So I had this big ole water pool for the little guys to drink from and cook. My bathrooms were set up above that, and I ran the polluted water from the sinks and toilets into a water filter, and then right back into the clean water pool. A--ok, right?

Well... No... There are still lots of germs in that poop water even after being filtered. So within a couple of days my people were puking everywhere, causing more germs. All the hospital beds were full. People were fighting and puking. Everyone ran out of food because no one could cook. Aaaand everyone died.

Jun 17, 2019, 13:34
Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2019, 13:34
Jun 17, 2019, 13:34

The other thing is Traverse City is a tourist town. It is in the Northern part of Michigan and is an iceberg for 8 months out of the year. But in the summer it has lots of vineyards, movie festivals, and other touristy things.

I don't see them attracting any big companies to come just because they have fiber Internet. You need a snow mobile to get around for most of the year!

Jan 7, 2019, 22:53
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2019, 22:53
Jan 7, 2019, 22:53

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 18:56:
Well, good.

I loved OMD1 and 2, played them a ton, even convinced my COOP people to play them a bit with me, but none of us wanted the F2P version. The sooner all these F2P microtransaction cash grabs, and mobile spinoffs die, the better.

Same here... OMD1 was amazing, and luckily I had a buddy that wanted to duo OMD2. Duoing the whole game with the same person was an incredible gaming experience!

I tried the OMD Unchained game, and it felt like a cross between OMD and a MOBA, and I just couldn't get into it. I don't want to fight other people, I want to make crazy trap mazes that hordes of AI go through and die; then play with trap configs until we get it right. I think OMD2 holds up really well, and is still one of the best 2 player co-op games!
247 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older