Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mellis

Real Name mellis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname mellis
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 19, 2012, 14:03
Total Comments 167 (Novice)
User ID 57372

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2
17. Re: Ubisoft Financials Reveal Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2 May 17, 2017, 09:15 mellis

Oh wow, Far Cry 5, what a surprise!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Revealed via Leak?
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Revealed via Leak? May 10, 2017, 04:35 mellis

Black Flag was awesome, mainly because of the well conceived piracy aspect and in spite of the Templar storyline.

The games still suffer from universally awful combat though. All your enemies gather round you with their pointy implements and then take it in turns to one-on-one duel with you (which they lose). It's so ridiculous and completely immersion breaking.

News Comments > Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo
38. Re: Arkane: Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo May 3, 2017, 18:14 mellis

Overon wrote on May 3, 2017, 17:32:
I thought the explanation was that releasing a PC demo would require DRM which would give a leg up head start for crackers looking to crack the PC retail release as soon as possible.

This is the primary reason. Mass Effect and Resident Evil are recent examples where a demo was provided and that demo executable was used to remove the (expensive) Denuvo protection on the retail game.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 30, 2017, 19:57 mellis

jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 16:16:
I'll just point out that Turkey is a NATO ally. The USA keeps nuclear weapons there (B61 bombs, delivered by aircraft) at Incirlik airbase.

Also, the USA recently deployed Stryker armored vehicles in Syria to deter Turkey from crossing the border to attack Kurdish regulars, a US ally in the fight against ISIS.

Shit is getting messy.

In fairness, the USA keeps bases in plenty of countries that are openly hostile towards it. Guantanamo Bay in Cuba is an obvious example that springs to mind.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. removed Apr 17, 2017, 10:26 mellis

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 17, 2017, 11:54.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 13, 2017, 06:52 mellis

Fantaz wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 22:22:
could also mean that they don't want people to look into the PC demo's data files and uncover spoilers before the game's released?

Not spoilers, they just don't want to risk a repeat of Mass Effect / Resident Evil and end up having their Denuvo protected title stripped of its protection days after release.

The working theory is that with Resident Evil and Mass Effect Andromeda, the demo executable's were used to patch retail code and circumvent the Denuvo protection.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 13:15 mellis

Rigs wrote on Apr 12, 2017, 11:30:
See, this is what drives me nuts about gamers today...you guys have no clue what's in the game at this point, only that it has a story underpinning and covers all three trilogies...and has 'heroes', like the first. The game could literally have everything you're all complaining about wanting but you don't know. Yet we'll complain anyway. I'm guilty of it too but I think that for this industry to return to what it was back in it's heyday, we need some optimism and enthusiasm. I'm not saying to go out and pre-order but maybe be a little excited about things. I constantly (constantly) hear people wanting another Tie Fighter, including myself, and this could be a big step to that. It looks like it's going to have more focus on space combat.

I have the smallest bit of hope that EA heard all the complaints about the first and is going to change it. And for once, I'm going to go in excited to see what they'll give us this time instead of grumbling about it. Will I be disappointed? Probably. But fuck, I'm tired of being down and negative about this shit all the time. The mood is always 80% 'It's gonna fail - hard!' and 20% 'Well it might rock'. We need to change that.

=-Rigs-=

You don't think maybe the cynicism is the result of an endless tirade of unoriginal, formulaic, consolized, politically correct garbage originating from today's publishing houses?

Case in point; Mass Effect: Andromeda.

From a business perspective it's understandable. It all comes down to money and that's not guaranteed when the IP (or genre) is a risk, but that doesn't alter the fact most of what is produced is just rehashed garbage. The gaming industry has become an extension of Hollywood and that's not a compliment.

RE: Tie Fighter (and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter) - like good Ridley Scott and James Cameron movies - is best left buried in the annals of quality gaming history.

News Comments > Into the Black
32. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2017, 07:13 mellis

Agent-Zero wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 06:39:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:47:
1badmf wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 23:28:
overbooking should be straight up illegal. they shouldn't be allowed to sell something they don't have, which is a seat on the plane once it's fully booked up. it's flat out choosing greed over people.

Plenty of places overbook. Cinemas, stadiums, restaurants. Should it be illegal there as well? Most would say no. So why is it a problem with the airlines? The fundamental issue is aggressively impatience people coupled with uncomfortable situations like being on an airplane. It's a stick of dynamite ready to explode. The doctor, while professional, doesn't preclude him from being an impatient person (in the form of being unresponsive to the staff and police demands to exit). His lack of patience caused the outcome. That's his fault.

Dunce Rifle

Maybe not illegal, but most certainly they should operate on a first-come, first-served basis. The guy was seated - so he'd passed Security, Baggage handling and was literally waiting for the plane to taxi to the runway and depart when he got forcibly ejected.

News Comments > Dragon Age 4 Outed?
3. Re: Dragon Age 4 Outed? Apr 6, 2017, 20:45 mellis

More recycled garbage, yay! Maybe they should just skip the pretence and just enter into a full sponsorship deal with FedEx  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week
51. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week Apr 5, 2017, 18:33 mellis

JohnQP wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 10:22:
Whelp, ME:A's Denuvo lasted all of 11 days. I feel bad for devs. I'm content to wait as long as it takes for the cracked version to come along, if it ever does, but there are tons of kids who become more likely to buy every day a game's protection holds up. 11 days ain't long.

Not Denuvo's fault. Resident Evil suffered the same fate (oh look - a demo before release) yet Nier Automata (no demo) is still holding back the swarthy swashbucklers.

If you're from EA and you're reading this; don't release unprotected demos of your games in advance. You just make the crackers job super easy and no protection is going to be able to save your product.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week
4. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week Apr 4, 2017, 19:19 mellis

Buy Witcher 3: GOTY edition if you haven't already. For a 2015 title it's orders of magnitude better than this junk.  

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER II Announced
1. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER II Announced Mar 31, 2017, 12:37 mellis

In the old days this would be called an Expansion Pack  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer
1. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2017, 20:22 mellis

That looks awful.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2017, 06:00 mellis

Sepharo wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 04:11:
Luke wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 03:46:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 22:57:
Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 22:48:
You know you're getting old when you keep hearing about these companies worth billions that you've never heard of or only ever vaguely heard of and have absolutely no idea what they do - much less how they make money,

It's nice to finally hear you admit that you're out of touch instead of insisting that a scam is afoot

Ohh so that makes ya a....hmm hip dude i guess...sad follower , only doing what the hollow people doing...gezz

If I'm translating this correctly, it appears that you're trying to claim that I'm using Snapchat... but that's not the case.
I am also too old.
But my mom is 62 and she's using it.

Sexting at 62 eh? Fair play.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled
1. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Multiplayer Beta Cancelled Mar 2, 2017, 09:34 mellis

Two possible reasons:

1) Bad publicity about the banal gameplay in advance of the release; or (more likely I think)

2) Resident Evil: Biohazard got it's shiny Denuvo protection removed in record time as a result of releasing a demo in advance. EA - who are also using Denuvo - are afraid the same will happen here to their (predominately single player) game if an unprotected demo executable is somehow reverse engineered.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 16, 2017, 06:42 mellis

Slick wrote on Feb 16, 2017, 01:16:
Jesus christ, it's not surprizing that the mainstream media doesn't "get" gaming youtube personality humour, but 50 million people do.

Except the problem is he's contracted by large every-man corporations. They don't like anything that can be perceived as damaging to their brand and frankly that's entirely understandable. So easily a statement or endorsement can be taken out of context and so quickly can misinformation propagate. Next thing Coca Cola is fielding a sea of negative publicity across multiple countries with people throwing their products on the street - all captured on YouTube (or Facebook Live or Twitter etc), or Disney is facing a wide-scale boycott of its latest expensive CGI movie drivel etc.

They don't want the negative publicity because it directly impacts their bottom line. They want middle of the road inoffensive content with maybe a few risqué remarks to keep it fresh but certainly nothing that advocates political allegiances or social ideals because that doesn't help them peddle their wares to their target audience; *everybody*.

It shows frankly poor judgement and a degree of naivety on the part of PewDiePie. He should have realised that there are always strings attached.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers
1. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers Jan 26, 2017, 19:08 mellis

Typical focus grouped garbage. All the 'aliens' - even the 'baddies' are anthropoids - it's like watching a trailer for the original Star Trek. Guess EA thinks its audience couldn't handle anything that was actually alien.

Nice stereotypical 'black-guy' voice "I been waiting 600 year for this shit!"

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 26, 2017, 19:02 mellis

Obsidian created arguably one of the best Kickstarter games out there, plus they kept updating it long after release. Can't fault Obsidian on this one.

Looking forward to this next instalment.

News Comments > Gearbox Deathwatch?
34. Re: Gearbox Deathwatch? Dec 30, 2016, 19:43 mellis

Beamer wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 18:23:
descender wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 14:36:
This list is so very "ARS"... YikYak? Who cares about a failed social media site that was never actually successful?

Then they blast twitter for the fact that it's users are uncontrollable and leaving the service for SnapChat. Doesn't this (hopefully) mean that Snapchat (running on the same failing business model) is now going to be flooded with the same uncontrollable user base that scares away investors and run themselves out of business as well? Shouldn't they make the list?

How does this list not start with Sprint?!

I'm bored.

No. Snapchat has a path to profitability, my company will soon be paying them tons, as will our competitors, but it also makes random interaction with those jerk consumers near impossible. They're eyeballs, not voices.

Your company will be paying Snapchat oodles of cash for what exactly?

167 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo