Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D Stone

Real Name D Stone   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SlimRam
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 18, 2012, 07:07
Total Comments 1184 (Pro)
User ID 57335

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up
33. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 26, 2016, 01:58 SlimRam

Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 01:05:
Korrd wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 00:43:
Slick wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 20:59:
Agent-Zero wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 20:57:
Korrd wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 20:45:

Depends on the project, but as noted in the text this isn't really an engine switch.

ok... what is it then, "really"?

jesus christ

Quite, but to answer the question in earnest (because apparently it's challenging to read the content before commenting?): it is switching to another branch of Cryengine. It's pretty much like when a new version of the engine you're using is released and you update to that, except in this case it's from a different provider.

so you would call it a version switch... I already assumed it was not the same thing as switching to Unreal or something with a different code base... but its interesting to see how people choose to define words according to their particular perspectives - considering the title of the post is "engine switch"

yeh i dont click on weblinks posted by dumbfucks so i have no idea what the rest is about, but you dont have to bother with that either because i could care less
Hmmmm...after that post I think it's finally time to say it...

Welcome back harlock/rudra it's been awhile!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2016, 18:31 SlimRam

George Michael just died, he was 53.

I would say,"Suck it 2016" but somehow, this doesn't seem...quite right to say *cough*.

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up
7. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch Follow-up Dec 25, 2016, 17:20 SlimRam

KilrathiAce wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 17:14:
Hopefully i am still alive when its released. Also, while they are at it how about buy wing commander rights already.
I've always wondered, who owns the rights to the Wing Commander franchise now?

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers
14. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers Dec 24, 2016, 14:07 SlimRam

This blurb is from VentureBeat:

“We’ve been working with Amazon for more than a year, as we have been looking for a technology leader to partner with for the long term future of Star Citizen and Squadron 42,” said Roberts, Cloud Imperium Games’ CEO and creative director, in a statement. “Lumberyard provides ground breaking technology features for online games, including deep back-end cloud integration on AWS and its social component with Twitch that enables us to easily and instantly connect to millions of global gamers. Because we share a common technical vision, it has been a very smooth and easy transition to Lumberyard. In fact, we are excited to announce that our upcoming 2.6 Alpha release for Star Citizen is running on Lumberyard and AWS.”

Seems likes a good move BUT SC is apparently the only game being done with the engine thus far. Atleast NOW they are using an engine that was actually DESIGNED for online gaming. I'm guessing that when you are building a massive online multiplayer game you should probably pick an engine that is built for this purpose from the very start... But of course, i'm not the one building SC so what would I know.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2016, 22:48 SlimRam

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 12:48:
K, y'all. Serious question:

What's your favorite Christmas movie?

I'm a bit partial to Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas myself.
I tend to go for Burton's Batman Returns, it's dark, beautifully shot, and Keaton's Batman suit looks awesome and makes him look like he actually has a chin.

News Comments > Black Desert Online Free Trial
2. Re: Black Desert Online Free Trial Dec 23, 2016, 14:42 SlimRam

Downloaded installer for free 7 day trial version.

Realized it required a 41 GB download for the 7 day trial version.

Uninstalled installer.

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
48. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 17:00 SlimRam

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 16:49:
That's the problem with every business that fails. It's the same with restaurants and why they have the highest failure rate. People with more money than common sense - and generally little to no experience - think how cool it'd be to own a bar/resto and gee, how hard can it really be after all? Well it's not hard...if you know what you're doing and you're focused. RSI is a perfect example of this. This is why so many of us chose not to back him to begin with. We were aware of us his previous history and the fact that WC/Freelancer got made IN SPITE of him, not because of him. This was the exact same shit he pulled before except others were holding the purse strings and finally gave him the boot for his incompetence. Vision is easy, ideas are a dime a dozen, focusing and delivering on time and budget is hard.
Nicely said sir, my Dad owned and ran his own steakhouse for 14 years and it definitely had it's ups and downs. I'm not an expert on game development and from what I have read of Mr. Roberts i'd say your analysis is right on and apt.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. The holographic anime “robot” that will keep house for lonely salarymen. Dec 19, 2016, 16:11 SlimRam

I hope that they make the entire device um... "spill-proof"...  

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
37. Re: Star Citizen Video Dec 19, 2016, 14:47 SlimRam

Kosumo wrote on Dec 19, 2016, 14:35:
Also, in that McDonald example, the whole time you are waiting in the drive though on your burger, while you have been given cold French fries that you did not order, McDonald's is blasting your car with ad's for new burgers and other products.

AND, Sandi Gardiner is working the McDonald's drive thru window because the entire project imploded and she needs the that damn dolla!

News Comments > etc.
17. 'Star Citizen' Awkward Alpha 2.6 Stream Doesn't Show Squadron 42 & Asks Fans For More Money Dec 19, 2016, 02:21 SlimRam

I went to their forum to see what people were saying about the stream and it was not very well received. I think it's safe to say that even some of the original backers are starting to doubt CIG.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer
38. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer Dec 17, 2016, 22:18 SlimRam

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 22:12:
I already bought all the ships so I technically beat the game already.

See you suckers in Star Citizen 2!

The DLC for this game is going to be an app that you buy for 20$ that links your bank account directly to Star Citizen so whenever the project starts to get low on funds Star Citizen just withdraws 100 dollars from the account. Think of the convenience.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer
27. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailer Dec 17, 2016, 18:39 SlimRam

dangerman77 wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 17:23:
Derek Smart (continues to be vindicated)
I believe someone just mentioned...

Derek Smart...

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. GM expands testing, production of self-driving cars in Michigan. Dec 16, 2016, 21:26 SlimRam

Robots building self-driving cars?

SKYNET SKYNET SKYNET!!!!!

News Comments > Egosoft Plans "Real" X4
12. Re: Egosoft Plans Dec 16, 2016, 14:02 SlimRam

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 12:58:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 10:52:
I'm always interested in space sims, but the X series are too much like Eve and Elite. Big, but empty and boring with a focus on numbers rather than gameplay. I'm more of a Freelancer guy. Actually, Freelancer is the only good space sim I've played... Other than the original X-wing...

I thought Freelancer was the most hyped space sim ever, not deserving of half the praise it got. I hated the 3rd person camera, the oversimplified flight model and controls, and pretty much everything about it except for the story. Oh well, opinions and all....

I felt the same way about Freelancer and you could play it in first-person (I hate 3rd person for games like this or driving games) you just had to press Control+V to change the view, it was much better IMO but made the game MUCH harder also.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 15, 2016, 10:53 SlimRam

I bought Unreal and my friend was into video games too and came over to me and my roommates house to check it out. He was floored with the original graphics...then he said he had heard of something called 3Dfx and wondered if it worked with Unreal. Never had I heard of such a thing until I went to a local computer store (remember those? ) and bought a Voodoo graphics card. Me and my friend installed it and when I started Unreal for the first time with the new card working I literally couldn't believe my eyes. Me and my friend just sat there with our mouths open watching the little fly-through that use to play automatically when you first started the game. Amazing time.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 13, 2016, 22:49 SlimRam

Alan Thicke died, heart attack, he was 69.

Once again, 2016, suck it.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Michigan Lets Autonomous Cars on Roads Without Human Driver. Dec 10, 2016, 13:48 SlimRam

Ummmm....what's going to keep tweakers from taking a selfie of themselves taking a dump in the first autonomous Uber cab?

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2016, 14:03.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. PewDiePie claims he will delete his YouTube channel today [Update]. Dec 9, 2016, 21:43 SlimRam

I was pretty sure I couldn't hate him any more than I possibly do.

It's nice to be proven wrong.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2016, 11:13 SlimRam

In the plus column, Kirk Douglas turns 100 today! Amazingly enough, his wife is 97 and they have been together 62 years and are still together. I'm pretty sure I would NEVER live this long nor would I want to but it is an amazing feat.  

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Dec 8, 2016, 19:15 SlimRam

Eat a bag of dicks 2016.  

1184 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo