Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for D Stone

Real Name D Stone   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname SlimRam
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 18, 2012, 07:07
Total Comments 990 (Graduate)
User ID 57335

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer
3. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Trailer Jun 23, 2017, 23:45 SlimRam

The main character looks like she would smell... badly.

The mixture of B.O, dirt, and animal skins is a recipe for an aromatic disaster.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jun 21, 2017, 20:25 SlimRam

The description for for Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni "featuring ridiculously busty schoolgirls" would make me almost feel guilty for playing this.

Almost.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 19:56 SlimRam

Another to add to the list:

Stephen Furst died from complications of diabetes. He was 63.

Sorry to say that Vir is dead, probably one of my favorite characters from 'Babylon 5'. Stephen was in 'Animal House' too

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2017, 20:11.

News Comments > No PC Just Dance 2018
2. Re: No PC Just Dance 2018 Jun 14, 2017, 23:24 SlimRam

I believe Bebe Rexha's jeans have reached maximum capacity, daaaaaaaaaamn.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Leak
23. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Leak Jun 10, 2017, 20:53 SlimRam

Bundy wrote on Jun 10, 2017, 20:14:
Both my kids still play the first one. The game simply wasn't made for you. It was made for children. Just like the movies.

Ding Ding Ding, there's ah winnah, Exactly this.

For a lot of guys that are in the 40 to 60 range probably on this site I think it's time to realize that a lot of movies, games and TV shows simply aren't made for us anymore. Sucks but we're old news now, literally

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Leak
7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Leak Jun 10, 2017, 12:38 SlimRam

Nope.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 7, 2017, 14:14 SlimRam

Um... I suppose it's just me buuuuuut... I actually like the HDR version better here for this game? The SDR colors look way over-saturated with colors and the lighting doesn't seem as "realistic". I know that this is supposed to be an alien world and all that (I own the game) but i've never thought the colors and lighting actually looked all that great? I play on a 42" 1080 plasma LG tv as my monitor so that may be part of the problem buuuut... yeah, I do like the HDR version better, it just look more real to me *shrug*  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 12:25 SlimRam

Blue, if you'd have invited me over after a night of nuclear hot wings and tequila shots I would have have destroyed your bathroom for free.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
44. Re: Game Reviews May 28, 2017, 21:05 SlimRam

Slick, I played the 2006 demo and didn't care for it (which I've told you several times now), I'm RIGHT NOW playing the new one and just broke out of my fake apartment into the simulation area (see I know that because i'm actually playing the game). Nothing about this exchange has made me "mad" as you keep implying. I find the fact that someone that doesn't even know what a first person shooter actually is (and good job on dodging my Deus Ex reference for what a FPS/RPG is btw) considers himself to be a game reviewer, actually hilarious. As I've said over and over, you took 2 points off of the total of your review (from a 7 to a 5) just because the game was called Prey and it didn't resemble the original at all. Like Redeye said, put a disclaimer at the beginning and move on. You literally punished this game just because of it's name, that's not fair to the developer or to the person reading your review.

Nope, I never said that Prey 2006 "doesn't matter" that's you putting words in my mouth again. Your argument was that Prey 2006 had a cult-like following, I said that I wasn't aware of this following or of the games popularity because none of my friends ever bought the game (and they are pretty avid gamers). If you say the game was that popular, so be it, i'll take your word for it. Sorry if this new game "desecrated" (in your words, with full drama mode engaged) your beloved IP but that shouldn't have hurt your review as bad as it did. You even TELL everyone in your review that the game would have been a 7 if it had been called anything else...really? You might as well post a huge banner over your review saying:

"If Your Looking For an Unbiased Review of This Game Please Look Elsewhere Because I'm a Huge Fanboy of the Old Prey".

Your "perspective" of Prey 2006 (amongst the other jabs that you so graciously shared) was an entire paragraph dedicated to how neato you thought the death sequences were compared to it not being in this new game and how the mirrors didn't reflect like in the original...really?

What is my issue with this? My issue with this is that you are letting your fanboyism affect your review of the new Prey game. Real people worked on this game and real money and jobs are put on the line to make these games. The fact that you so casually shit on the game because it offended your beloved IP and then have the actual nerve to call yourself a "journalist" shows exactly how immature you actually are, and how insincere you are as a game reviewer.

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2017, 06:04 SlimRam

Gregg Allman died, he was 69. Guess they finally caught the Midnight Rider...  

38. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2017, 23:47 SlimRam

Slick, the metascore of a game does not always equate evenly to the number of players of that game. There have been plenty of highly rated games that a majority of people have never played.

This isn't a First Person Shooter? Really? That's your argument? You shoot things from a first person perspective in this game. That is the very definition of a first person shooter. I guess you're saying that Deus Ex isn't a shooter because it is technically an RPG right? Wrong. Deus Ex is an FPS/RPG hybrid, it's both actually and a perfectly acceptable description of the game, just like System Shock and apparently just like this game. When a game like Mass Effect forces you to stare at the person you are speaking with through hours of dialog, yeah, the facial animations are important. From what I've seen of this game, Prey doesn't force this type of interaction on you; you can walk away from anyone talking at any time.

Sure, you can mention the other Prey game in the review, that wasn't my issue with it. My issue was you based a good chunk of the review on how much this game wasn't like the old one. That's not a fair review.

Yes, Prey 2006 did portals first. You want to know which game is most remembered for having portals in their game: Portal. Why? Because Portal sold millions of copies and is remembered for it's game play. Why do most people not associate Prey 2006 with portals? Because the game wasn't as popular, simple.

I DID play the demo for the original Prey and I clearly told you this, it didn't leave any type of lasting impression with me. Also, with this thing called the internet, I don't have to play a game to get a good idea of what its about and how it plays.

I never said Prey 2006 made "no impact at all", that's you taking something that was said and blowing it out of proportion like you always do. When comparing it to Half-Life I said that Half-Life made a huge impact, Prey didn't. 11 years later and most people that played Prey probably barely remember what the main plot of the story was. Almost any gamer that you come across has probably, at least, played the first Half-Life and remembers it fondly. The passion for the Half-Life IP is the direct reason why it have endured for this long. You say there is a "cult-like" following of the first Prey game, great. I've never heard of this and all my friends that are gamers never even bought the full copy of Prey 2006; They played the demo and were done with it. Again, I never said I didn't like the game (that's you putting words in my mouth again), I said that I just wasn't that impressed with it, that's all. You said that I was "angry" at your review, no I wasn't, that's you putting words in my mouth again. I think your review is unprofessional and irresponsible for the reasons I've already stated. Again, like I said earlier, Metacritic scores do not directly translate into how many people played a game or if you can gauge how much impact a game has made on gaming culture.

The main reason why Arkane used the name Prey was probably because it was at least an IP that some people remember. It was undoubtedly done to help bolster the sales of their game. This isn't surprising or unheard of, it's simply good business.

30. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2017, 08:44 SlimRam

1) Please watch the short 20-second video I captured in my review demonstrating the abysmal facial animations before claiming that they're "very good". Some of them are decent, others are absolute dogshit.

As it was also mentioned and you ignored was that a lot of people really don't care about facial animations as much when it comes to FPSs. The gun-play, opponents and settings are usually the most important part for a FPS. Usually the story and character interaction is minimal and doesn't impact the game play that much. Mass Effect is different because there are tons of dialog in which you have to stare at everyone while they are talking and some of their reactions are part of what sells the story. The reason for the outrage was because of the ME:A animations and that they were actually worse than the original Mass Effect game done back in 2007.

Compared with Prey 2006 (you know the other game in this IP, which you all seem to think is irrelevant for some reason) had one of the best combat loops I've ever seen, when you died, things only got MORE intense.

You do realize that you wrote in your review an entire paragraph about how much you liked this part of Prey 2006 to justify your hate of a game you were supposed to be giving an unbiased view of right? A good reviewer comes to every game open-minded regardless of it's history or their opinion of it's previous iterations.

The original Prey did a LOT of A) cool things and B) new things. Just because YOU didn't personally think it was amazing, doesn't give you the right to disregard the cult-like heritage of this franchise.

This is hilarious because you are literally saying that no one has a right to their opinion (except you of course). Alot of people think that Minecraft is the greatest game that's ever been. I've never played nor ever wanted to play Minecraft and can openly say that I belive the game to be too boring for me to ever enjoy (I don't like building things in games). The reason i'm allowed to say this is because of something called the First Amendment of the United States Constitution (you may want to look it up some time?).

I have no idea how the 11-year old Prey franchise is Dead, but the 13-year old Half-Life franchise is alive and well and worth defending to the last breath?

Like I said before, which again, you choose to ignore; Half-life made a big impact on gaming, Prey 2006 did not. You get extra points for all the drama that you inject into all your posts as well, good job there. Example: "...defending to the last breath"

Do you think it's fine if they reboot the franchise, call it "FireFly" and make it a Victorian-era costume drama with no cowboys, spaceships, aliens, and instead of being action-packed with a consistently engaging storyline, it's replaced with 4-hour episodes of people reading dead characters letters and scrounging for scrap?

Again, to use your own example, 'Firefly' made a huge impact on it's audience and thus the love for the show and the probable backlash if they did what you suggested. Prey 2006 apparently didn't make that kind of impact (atleast from the consensus in this thread). I played the demo and, from what I remember, found it to be nothing special? The biggest thing I remember about the game was the development hell that the game went through just to be made.

So you're saying that games with interesting characters, lore, world-building, fun game mechanics, satisfying puzzles, introduction to new ways to interact in a 3D space, inventive death loops, gravity puzzles, wall-walking, portals, and mind-fuckery turning a rock into a planet to explore is all dead? Says who? you?

Nope, you've totally missed the point again. That's not what he said at all. He was talking about the fact that when they changed Fallout to 1st person it upset a lot of people but the fact was, the isometric format of the previous games was dead. Fallout is being used in this argument because even though the format changed from the original, a ton of people still enjoyed the game very much. The point being that even though this Prey didn't have all the cool stuff that the original had there are people that are liking the game for what it is. The fact that you can't seem to get past this issue is your problem, not the rest of the people who are enjoying it or the people who are reading your review to figure out if they should buy the game or not.

The main point for you not liking this game is because the name is Prey (this you actually said yourself). If you write reviews as biased as this one you will never be taken seriously. Your responsibility as a game reviewer is to deliver an honest evaluation of game play, graphics, sound, and (sometimes) story. If you can't keep your personal bias out of the final score of a game then you shouldn't be reviewing games, period. Also, I suggest you grow some thicker skin because if you continue to review games you're always going to get hate comments regardless of the score you give any of them.

24. Re: Game Reviews May 25, 2017, 21:01 SlimRam

Slick, you don't attack anyone ever directly. You average a few comments against your view and make it into "everyone's opinion". Then you try to justify your biased opinion based on factors that others don't consider relevant (Prey 2006 being "one of the best shooters ever"). Then, when people disagree with your argument points, you argue that the same rules don't apply for different games. The problem is, your view of how important Prey 2006 is in direct contrast to apparently how a lot of people on Blue's feel towards the game. You try to argue that changing Half-life's 3 game play would cause a riot, and your right. The reason being that Half-Life made a HUGE impact on gamers (as did Mass Effect, System Shock, and Bioshock). Prey 2006 didn't make that kind of impact, thus the reason why people generally didn't care that they used the name in this new game.  

21. Re: Game Reviews May 25, 2017, 06:13 SlimRam

So now with posting Slick's reviews on Blues, we not only get his rants/ravings for not agreeing with his comments on everything, we can now also see his rants/ravings for not agreeing with his review.

Double your pleasure!

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2017, 08:37 SlimRam

Hey Retired, uh I never asked or have known, why did you change your forum name? Just curious and nope, ya don't have to answer if ya don't want  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 22:01 SlimRam

Cutter wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:24:

And that's why you don't eat gas-station food!
C'mon MAN! Some of my best (ok they are probably the worst but still) memories of Thanksgiving for me, when I was single I would to go to the Circle K down the street and get THREE hot dogs with chili, wrapped in plastic, in the refrigerated section for 2 DOLLARS! It's was sweet but damn did I regret eating those damn devil dogs the next day.

Anyway, shame on you, gas-station food was a staple of my bachelor life and I shall never rebuke them, regardless of the gastrointestinal suicide I committed in my youth!

36. First Trailer: May 18, 2017, 18:19 SlimRam

Meh, it really didn't have the quantity of lens flare, explosions, people falling or jumping, cute lines, or ships being destroyed that i've grown to expect in current iterations of Star Trek.

EDIT: Darn it, I forgot to mention that I didn't hear any Beastie Boys either.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2017, 18:54.

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI
16. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI May 12, 2017, 02:47 SlimRam

Angry Joe has a neat preview of the game where he plays with his buddies and the Creative Director of the game. This looks incredibly fun.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
12. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 10, 2017, 23:34 SlimRam

Creston wrote on May 10, 2017, 23:27:
SlimRam wrote on May 10, 2017, 23:21:
I JUST actually finished the game on PC and being a HUGE Mass Effect fan my opinion will likely be biased buuuuut, ahem;

I just finished the quest where you go onto the Archon's ship to find some relic that Moshae Whatsja sends you to find. How far away from the end am I?

I keep thinking I'll go back and finish it, but then I just go "Hmm, just a few mp matches" and ten matches later I just go to bed.
It depends on which missions you still have left? I did EVERY other mission that was left until all that was left was the movie night mission (Awesome) and then all the other missions that come from the Meridian story line. I would say you are well past the 3/4 mark of the game.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
8. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 10, 2017, 23:21 SlimRam

I JUST actually finished the game on PC and being a HUGE Mass Effect fan my opinion will likely be biased buuuuut, ahem;

1) The combat is MUCH better all the way around. The mobility is great and the combo detonators are fun. Weapons feel powerful and have punch.
2) The fact that you can be any class you want but still wield any power and use any weapon is cool but I could see how it might be a turn off to hardcore RPG fans because the game tosses so many skill points at you that it never seems like you have to sacrifice or suffer with your skill choices (plus you can respec your character at will if you don't like your choices; another plus or minus depending on the person playing).
3) I didn't actually hate the writing. I know this is really subjective but it never really bothered me that much? I never caught myself rolling my eyes at the dialog (accept for the 'tired face' line which made no sense). I liked how they did the dialog wheel choices BUT I didn't like that you couldn't be a total asshole in this game if you wanted to be (I always play a regular/male play through first then play the hateful/female next time through Hehehe). I like the fact that you can turn the icons to the responses off and just give whatever response feels right. When I talked to Reyes I didn't realize that I was actually making romance progress with him just because of some of the playful/joking responses I gave until a certain point in the game when you attend a party and there needs to be a distraction... I'll just leave it there and say it took me COMPLETELY by surprise
4) I didn't like that there weren't more different races IN A BRAND NEW GALAXY! They introduce... TWO, that's it... yeah REALLY. It's like they couldn't have been bothered to introduce atleast as many new aliens as the original series? Pretty disappointing there.
5) The gliches... oh dear God the glitches... there are TONS of broken camera shots, NPCs sliding into place when you enter a room, people talking over each other and ATLEAST 2 quest that were so broken that I couldn't finish them. This is after FIVE patches so far... REALLY? The game IS MASSIVE so I can understand some of this but still; Bioware you are a AAA gaming company, let's TRY to act like it.

Would I recommend it? I think a true die-hard Mass Effect fan can ignore a great deal of the flaws and still enjoy the game. I did enjoy myself immensely and will probably play it again soon when it's all patched up. For the gamer that likes this type of game but isn't die-hard, save your money. Let the price come down and let them fix the game 100% first. I got about 125 hours out of my first play-through without the multiplayer so it's a definite life stealer but I don't regret the loss of life .

This comment was edited on May 11, 2017, 00:30.

990 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo