Total Posts
2784 (Senior)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

2784 Comments. 140 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    140  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 16, 2021, 15:54
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2021, 15:54
Sep 16, 2021, 15:54

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 16, 2021, 15:22:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines.html
Cases of myocarditis and pericarditis in adolescents and young adults have been reported more often after getting the second dose than after the first dose of one of the two mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna. These reports are rare and the known and potential benefits of COVID-19 vaccination outweigh the known and potential risks, including the possible risk of myocarditis or pericarditis.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/myocarditis.html

This^^ I have the data for Quebec here, about 13 million vaccines have been administered so far.

The overall rate of unpredicted side effects is 61.6 per 100 000 dose ( or 0.0616% ), among those, 55.7 are benign. Only 5.6 cases per 100 000 dose ( or 0.0056% ) are serious.

Among the serious 1.7 per 100 000 doses were anaphylactic shocks, only the last remaining 3.6 serious cases per 100 000 doses are related to something other than anaphylactic shocks ( like pericarditis/myocarditis/etc ).

The safest vaccine seems by far to be Pfizer with a rate of 35 per 100k benign and 4.3 per 100k serious. The least safe is AstraZeneca with 169.7 per 100k benign and 14.3 per 100k serious.

Now take your odds of suffering something equally nasty or much worse out of a Covid infection and there is no comparison possible. You'd need about 2 infections to equate or beat the immunity granted by 2 doses of vaccine too... 1 infection results in less immunity than 2 doses, but more than 1.

In the province, we had a grand total of 400 625 detected C-19 cases. Among them, 11 315 deaths. That rate is about 2 824 per 100 000 detected infections. Even assuming an asymptomatic/undetected rate 2 times higher, you still have a bit lower than 1000 per 100 000 infections resulting in death. I don't have the data on serious after-effects for Quebec ( long covid ), but last time I checked the larger data, things were looking very grim, especially among the unvaccinated. 1 third of those with only mild symptoms continue to have lingering effects, many of those are young and have no pre-existing conditions. Among hospitalized patients, 76% still had at least 1 symptom after 6 months.

The numbers don't lie, it's much safer to play it safe with the vaccine than recklessly spin that russian roulette with your health and those around you until you get infected and play much higher stakes for no gain at all.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Sep 16, 2021, 11:00
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2021, 11:00
Sep 16, 2021, 11:00

You're welcome*.

Re: Evening Metaverse
Sep 14, 2021, 07:46
Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 14, 2021, 07:46
Sep 14, 2021, 07:46

#Classism

Re: GeForce NOW! Data Dive Mentions God of War and More
Sep 14, 2021, 04:41
Re: GeForce NOW! Data Dive Mentions God of War and More Sep 14, 2021, 04:41
Sep 14, 2021, 04:41

Nvidia responded

Quote: "NVIDIA is aware of an unauthorized published game list, with both released and/or speculative titles, used only for internal tracking and testing. Inclusion on the list is neither confirmation nor an announcement of any game.

NVIDIA took immediate action to remove access to the list. No confidential game builds or personal information were exposed."

Re: Game Reviews
Sep 13, 2021, 13:52
Re: Game Reviews Sep 13, 2021, 13:52
Sep 13, 2021, 13:52

Jonjonz wrote on Sep 13, 2021, 06:48:
Fascism ( the meging of state and corporations) is politically flexible.

Historically it has always appeared as capitalism struggled with its inherent structural flaws under a right wing reactionary agenda and as a result of those structural flaws.

Benito Mussolini's definition applies and if you understand the implications you can understand how it can only appear under a right-wing context:

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power”
― Benito Mussolini, 'The Doctrine of Fascism' 1932"

The implication being that it's the corporations that have the real power, not the state. If it had been the state he would've said "Statism" instead of Corporatism. And Mussolini should know a thing or two about Fascism, being one of its creators and the first to use that name.

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Sep 13, 2021, 02:41
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 13, 2021, 02:41
Sep 13, 2021, 02:41

I think the worst part is the site saying the 4050 and 4060 prices look "reasonable".

I mean how can it be reasonable to almost double the prices in less than 5 years?

xx50s used to be below 150$, now 280$
xx60s used to be around 250$, now 400$

And this is not isolated to this website, almost the whole tech press has been defending massive GPU msrp pricing hikes the last few years.

And it's not "miners & gamers voted with their wallet". It's miners, period.

Sep 11, 2021, 00:36
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2021, 00:36
Sep 11, 2021, 00:36

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 14:15:
Annnnd ...
Kudos to Mr. Biden for doing the right thing.
He just saved a 100.000 lives, even if some of the saved are too far gone to notice.

I was surprised he put on his man pants, but then again I thought about the world he grew up in...

Imagine a similar pandemic happening in the 60's or 50's and there is a vaccination campaign. What would it had looked like back then?

They would've put everyone in a line and jabbed, simple, methodical, straightforward.

There would've been fringe cases of exemptions only for people who had a previous history of adverse/unpredicted reactions. The rate is about 0.03% ( and 10 times less for dangerous reactions ) for the Pfizer vaccine. So let's say worst case scenario, about 0.1 of the population had an history of unpredicted vaccine reactions before the pandemic hit, they get an exemption from their doctor, everyone else gets in line and jabbed. That's 99.9% vaccination rate on the first shot. 0.03% of them get an unpredictable adverse reaction, those get an exemption for the second shot 1 month later.

Now, even back then some people would've made a fuss even if they couldn't get an exemption from a doctor because of their medical history.

Well, np, fine, literally, fine them an amount equal to half their bi-weekly paycheck every 2 weeks that they don't get their 1st shot. Make that fine payable when filling for their taxes next year. Send the fine by mail every 2 weeks to be included in the tax report.

Most people will eventually want the amount to stop climbing and will get their 1st shot. For those, tell them that if they also get their 2nd shot, you pardon them their fines in full, no harm done. For the others, if when the time for the 2nd shot comes, they still don't have their 1st shot, you fine them double per 2 weeks, their whole pay, still payable on next year's tax report. Most will eventually choose to get their 2 shots and get pardoned. The very few tiny weeny minority that remains, you can let the justice system deal with them when next year's tax reports come due and they can't make their payments. Announce before the 1st shot that it's mandatory for inmates and people arrested and put into detention to get vaccinated. They don't pay their fines come taxing time, jail and jab... Then release 1 month later.

Peaceful protests? Let them, no consequences.

Anyone riots? Cool! You grab'em, tag'em and jab'em. Watch as the riots of the unvaccinated disappear.

In the end, everyone who had real and reasonable medical reasons not to get a jab, didn't get the jab, those that didn't have medical reasons, well boohoo #sad motherfucker, you're fit for it, you get it.

That's it, done, no whining crybabies doing a bacon dance on the floor while screaming nonsense. No vaccination passport for the countries that do this now, and a minimum of drama.

That's pretty much the world our grand parents grew up in when there was something like this happening. Instead of dividing and going full egotistical, we used to get together in solidarity and stick together through the rough times, doing the right thing, not ( only ) for yourself, but for the community and no bullshit was taken. That's the world Biden grew up in.

And for once, I agree with their methods, seeing how badly we're fucking this up now because we're coddling the bacon dancing crybabies who have ZERO reasonable medical reasons to avoid getting their little arm booboo.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2021, 09:53.

Microsoft finally clarifies Windows 11’s TPM requirements
Sep 10, 2021, 21:12
Microsoft finally clarifies Windows 11’s TPM requirements Sep 10, 2021, 21:12
Sep 10, 2021, 21:12

It clarifies nothing. They just posted a mini guide on how to enable a TPM module.

Where is the clarification?

Chuck Norris saves the environment
Sep 10, 2021, 21:02
Chuck Norris saves the environment Sep 10, 2021, 21:02
Sep 10, 2021, 21:02

Yeah... special effects, makes sense.
Now if you want information about reality on carbon "capture".
There's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZgoFyuHC8
And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EA4tDYwNYo

Matrix Resurrections, Morpheus and ties to a long dead Matrix video game
Sep 10, 2021, 20:52
Matrix Resurrections, Morpheus and ties to a long dead Matrix video game Sep 10, 2021, 20:52
Sep 10, 2021, 20:52

Speculated as much yesterday in the comments...

Altho I wasn't aware of others doing the same thing at the same time, it isn't really surprising.

Sep 10, 2021, 20:38
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 20:38
Sep 10, 2021, 20:38

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 15:28:
"Study links too much free time to lower sense of wellbeing". Let me guess, it was sponsored by Jeff Bezos who thinks most of us should be slaving away the entire day, for food only, with a 4 hour sleep cycle.

"I don't understand people who like to work and talk about it like it was some sort of goddamn duty. Doing nothing feels like floating on warm water to me. Delightful, perfect." - Ava Garnder

In the current cult-ural context predicated on the worship of work/productivity as a subjective measure of success and purpose it actually makes sense. It's a "duh" moment.

Outside of it in other cultural contexts you'd see dramatically different results as was extensively documented by anthropologists.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2021, 00:07.

Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake
Sep 10, 2021, 08:50
Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake Sep 10, 2021, 08:50
Sep 10, 2021, 08:50

WannaLogAlready wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 07:48:
- Kotor 2: LucasArts rushed Obsidian and the last part and ending is rather abrupt.
But most of the game and the character deep interactions and choices where on another level.
Totally worthy game though.
Nexus modded, with restored cut content, it gets fleshed out better.
Like RogueSix said, Kreia character rocked.

Kreia's character, her analysis of the Jedi/Sith and the overall philosophy of her discourse is legendary.
Numerous papers have been written about this, and they're fascinating.

It would certainly be worth of a remake too.

Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake
Sep 10, 2021, 06:04
Re: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake Sep 10, 2021, 06:04
Sep 10, 2021, 06:04

Here's to hoping they don't make the gameplay like Fallen Order...

RPG, real-time with pauses, that would be ideal.

Not holding my breath tho.

Re: Star Trek Picard Season 2 Trailer: Borg Queen, Time Travel
Sep 10, 2021, 04:31
Re: Star Trek Picard Season 2 Trailer: Borg Queen, Time Travel Sep 10, 2021, 04:31
Sep 10, 2021, 04:31

NKD wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 03:45:
Well you said "1st in Kelvin" I assumed you meant Trek 09 started the trend. Though at the very least I think you'll find it a tough sell convincing Star Trek fans that First Contact was bad or that the Past Tense 2-parter from DS9 was bad.

I was talking about the consistent lazy writing of Cuntsman's crew, but yeah, I see now how I miscommunicated.

First Contact had lazy writing. For me that usually means bad. But yeah looking at metacritics, seems a lot of people loved the dumbed down "Let's bring back the Borg and retcon Picard's earlier healing of his trauma because, whatever, Borg sells I guess?". It was still lazy writing tho, the whole movie's plot is as dumbed down as possible with as many action scenes as possible. On the other hand you had Insurrection which was basically Avatar's plot, albeit simpler, before Avatar and had brilliant writing despite the superfluous action scenes and everyone shat on it so *shrugs*, I guess that explains why they went where they went after Nemesis's fiasco.

Past tense was filler, it wasn't lazy writing per-see and was probably an early attempt at warning against some trends in US society the writer was seeing coming eventually if nothing changed and the trends continued unabated. But they were still a archetypical "time travel filler" episodes. You can skip the whole episodes and not miss anything of DS9's plot.

Now contrast that with skipping the episodes about time travel in Babylon 5 and you'll be left scratching and banging your head about so many things that the whole series's plot will look full of holes that look like there is a key somewhere that you missed.

Re: Star Trek Picard Season 2 Trailer: Borg Queen, Time Travel
Sep 10, 2021, 03:27
Re: Star Trek Picard Season 2 Trailer: Borg Queen, Time Travel Sep 10, 2021, 03:27
Sep 10, 2021, 03:27

NKD wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 03:21:
Yeah Star Trek never did time travel before Trek 09... except those times that it did. In every series. And in two of the movies. (Two of the best regarded movies, as well)

Oh yeah, strawman my blanket argument by pretending that I have exceptions that somehow conveniently don't include what Alex Cuntsman didn't touch... Sure mate. *sighs*

Let me be 100% clear:

It was bad in TOS and TOS movies, it was bad in TNG and TNG movies, it was bad in DS9, it was bad in VOY, it was bad in ENT. Almost all of them mostly the result of lazy writing or for filler episodes and in the case of ENT, horrible execution.

It was also bad in most sci-fi series.

Edit: Babylon 5 being a rare exception where it wasn't the result of lazy writing nor filler, but an intrinsic key part of the whole that was planned from before the start of the 1st season despite only really appearing into a later season and executed almost flawlessly, yeah I have my gripes about it, but as far as I'm concerned, it was among the best implementations in a sci-fi serie, if not the best, for the sci-fi series I watched, can't say for those I did not watch.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2021, 03:38.

Star Trek Picard Season 2 Trailer: Borg Queen, Time Travel
Sep 10, 2021, 02:32
Star Trek Picard Season 2 Trailer: Borg Queen, Time Travel Sep 10, 2021, 02:32
Sep 10, 2021, 02:32

"Time Travel"

The easiest cope out trope when you run out of imagination for sci-fi writing.

1st in Kelvin, then STD and now Poocard. Why am I not surprised? Classic Alex Cuntsman "let's use time travel cause I'm too lazy and unimaginative" move, he does it every time, it should be expected by now I guess.

*facepalm*

Edit: Just watched season 2's trailer out of morbid curiosity ( I predictably dropped out after the 4th episode in season 1 after the disaster that was the STD infection ). And... Don't know who mentioned it in the comments section of yesterday's "out of the blue", but they were pretty much right. Something along the lines of "Marvel'ish action and plots piggie with 1 inch of Fake Trek makeup to hide the piggie." I guess that's the magical recipe for mainstream'ish appeal Anti-Trek.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2021, 04:34.

Re: Morning Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2021, 02:27
Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 10, 2021, 02:27
Sep 10, 2021, 02:27

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 14:52:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 14:45:
Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:09:
I don't have a problem with public surveillance, in fact I'm all for it.

Quelle surprise.

The ability to talk out both sides of you mouth.
Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2021, 13:23:
Right. You know, 'cause cops never abuse their power.
Rolleyes

Cutter: I don't want 1984

Also Cutter: I want 1984

*shrugs*

Maybe he wants some aspects and not others thinking they aren't inter-related and often, altho not always ( at least not without a lot of constant efforts to not slip down that proverbial slope ), intrinsically linked?

Sep 10, 2021, 02:13
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 02:13
Sep 10, 2021, 02:13

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 10, 2021, 00:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 21:51:
A vegan and a crossfit cultist meet.

Who speaks first?

The Vegan.

I have yet to accidentally find out that someone is vegan. They are very "forthcoming" in letting you know they are a vegan.

Funny, I've had the complete opposite experience, unless I invite someone to dinner then it just makes sense to have the info since they are still a minority. Then again it's the same thing with my cousin who doesn't mention her severe food allergic reactions unless the context requires it to be mentioned.

When asking around I usually get the same answer regarding this experience. I'm starting to think this myth about vegans is based more on people getting irked by/freely choosing to take offense to the practice and overreacting or just going along for the peer group virtue signaling brownie points. Or some people make more of a fuss about it and thus it sticks out more to them?

As a matter of fact, they usually mention it so infrequently that I and others often just forget about it and need reminded. Or maybe it's because I just don't make a fuss about it so it doesn't register to long term memory as much as someone who do make a fuss?

Then again it's not unreasonable to imagine that your mileage may vary based on location/culture both in how much you make a fuss about it, so register it strongly in long term memory and have cognitive biases about it, and in how frequently the local vegans mention it? *shrugs*

P.S.: I am NOT vegan.

Sep 10, 2021, 00:10
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2021, 00:10
Sep 10, 2021, 00:10

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 21:51:
A vegan and a crossfit cultist meet.

Who speaks first?

Neither, they smartened up and figured it's useless to try to help deprogram the CULT-urally indoctrinated since birth from the dominant CULT-ure unless they themselves choose to put that deeply rooted and stealthy'ish CULT-urally rewarded indoctrination into question.

To think that some people still believe ( not targeting anyone here mind you ) they haven't been in a cult since birth when the etymological, anthropological, sociological and psychological Everest of evidence stares them in the face.

Kind of fitting that comment considering we're talking about the new Matrix movie in other comments, because it has often been discussed in the context of since birth cultural indoctrination. Don't know if you said it on purpose or not, but quite fitting nonetheless in a perhaps, perhaps not, ironic way.

Re: Matrix Resurrections
Sep 9, 2021, 23:57
Re: Matrix Resurrections Sep 9, 2021, 23:57
Sep 9, 2021, 23:57

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 14:10:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:43:
Bill Borre wrote on Sep 9, 2021, 13:38:
Some of the dialogue from the trailer makes it sound like a sequel but the overall impression I got was remake.
Yeah, not completely clear...

Sequel is a closer description I think. They acknowledge the previous stuff happening.

Not a widely know fact is that the official canon story continued after the 3rd film in the form of the online MMO's storyline. Taken in this context, my best guess is that it's either one of those 3 options:

A: The long term effects of the continued in-Matrix war between the blue pillers ( those who wanted to stay inside and defend the Matrix despite knowing it was a deceit ) and the red pillers ( those who wanted to free people from the Matrix ), with the out-of-Matrix truce between the Machines and Zion still in effect many years down the road, so many that a new Neo and Trinity had time to emerge.

B: The war has been over for a long time, the truce failed as the Architect predicted it would and the Oracle undoubtlessly feared as reflected in the ending of the 3rd Matrix movie and the Matrix has been reset to "factory settings" for a new cycle. A new Neo and Trinity then emerged as they always do.

C: Something entirely new that Lana Wachowski thought up in the meantime and wanted to fool around with.

I'm hoping it's option A, the others would be kind of disappointing as far as I'm concerned.
2784 Comments. 140 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    140  ] Older