Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 664 (Apprentice)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 28, 2017, 22:35 Simon Says

All your data are belong to us  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 27, 2017, 16:37 Simon Says

OOS:

Bodolza wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 13:57:
"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age."
-Peter the Hermit A.D. 1274

Parents or old age, aka, "ageism / age privilege / gerontocracy".

Yeah, not sorry that I do not Divide Et Impera and Argument from Age logical fallacy Peter.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2017, 17:42.

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free
13. Re: StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free Mar 26, 2017, 17:53 Simon Says

First that so called Turok 2 "remaster" which looked so crappy it wasn't even funny, like there had been no remaster at all, then this...

No no no no, stop, please, stop!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2017, 23:43 Simon Says

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 23:00:
I said household debt to GDP ratios in my post, not government debt to GDP. Increasing sin taxes will impact already stretched consumer finances, a problem that Canada has been struggling with thanks to its immense housing bubble. The Greece comment was in reference to the silly budget just tabled and the idea that runaway deficits are a good idea, something we've discovered isn't so wonderful south of the border.

Totally irrelevant, you tried to pull an association logical fallacy with Greece, I thoroughly debunked it. Its the net gov. debt to gdp ratio that has Greece in this position and it happened because of financial liberalisation, not despite it.

So steering the ship away from financial liberalisation is probably a good idea and the very low debt to gdp ratio gives us plenty of room to maneuver. Its not like we're gonna go and steal middle eastern resources through phony wars to give corporate welfare to the M.I.C. beast, putting us in debt, like the US did.

The housing bubble in the US was also caused by deregulation and financial liberalisation, not despite it.

Might want to turn that tongue some more...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 24, 2017, 19:28 Simon Says

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 17:44:
So what? If it's so minimal then take it from top earners instead of everyone in society. Why should people pay even more "sin" taxes? Maybe the government could get more efficient about how money is used instead of just constantly being a black hole for it. The proposed budget for your tiny ass country just about made me shit a brick. You guys are the next Greece in the making, the household debt to GDP ratios alone are comedic. At least down here we've got the population density to justify our idiotic government

Greece? Lolwhat?

Canada is ranked 46th in the worst net gov. debt to GDP ratio ( IMF numbers ) @ a mere 37% of GDP. Greece is 1st @ 155%, US is 10th @ almost 88%.

Turn that tongue over a few times in your mouth and look in the mirror as well as research your statements next time you have an idea like this...

Source

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 23, 2017, 17:12 Simon Says

And only now do I understand what the splash screen at games startup saying "Programmed by Nasir" meant... Well shit... All this time I thought it was a group of people or a company/subcontracting group.  

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
62. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 22, 2017, 16:55 Simon Says

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 10:46:
No, it literally isn't. This is the incorrect assumption that is leading you all down the wrong path. If you have to start your arguments here you've already missed the boat. Even if it was the same CPU that doesn't mean they can just assume it works every time with every patch, they would still have to dedicate a team to testing that particular hardware every time they do an update. Who is paying for that?

You are also making this uninformed assumption about ONE particular CPU. What about Ryzen? What about the next Intel CPU next year or the year after? And every other CPU that is going to be released before 2020? Who decides when a piece of hardware is "different enough" to allow them to drop support for it? You?! How do you think this is even remotely a reasonable request?

You simply will not have full hardware support on ANY OS up to the day it dies. It would be impossible to provide such support. MS gave PLENTY OF NOTICE to consumers about this decision and if you purchased a Kaby/Ryen CPU expecting to use it in Windows 7 then again... you're a fucking idiot.

It's not MS's choice to make which OS we want to run and take risks with regarding the updates.
Wrong again. It is literally only their choice.

It's my own goddamn choice if I want to run windows 95 or 98 or XP or whatever OS on whichever CPU I please
This is the first semi-correct thing in your entire post. Yes, you have that choice... just like they have the choice to support their own software with updates, for how long, and what hardware to support.

You don't seem to understand that "supporting" a CPU doesn't mean "just make sure it turns on" for some random home user. They have to be able to guarantee that it will work across all business applications and environments if they are going to "officially" support it. They are liable for all sorts of damages if they aren't careful, so "just let me install it if I want to" is literally not an option. It isn't your risk to take, it is their risk and their liability.

They aren't "lying", they simply don't have to give any other reason other than "they don't want to support it". That is the only reason they have actually given. You are the ones pushing this fanciful conspiracy that they "could easily support it but refuse to" with zero evidence.

Even if they weren't the same, sky and kaby, its still irrelevant...

You're still completely missing the point... Which is that its the first time in MS's history that they artificially disabled windows updates when it detects newer hardware, they used to simply stop supporting it, and its fine, but nevertheless, windows updates still weren't artifically blocked and it didn't cause problems. Windows updates still works on unsupported hardware on WinXP. They never did in the past and it never caused any serious problems because yeah enterprise had been warned and average joes didn't care or dealt with it graciously without any coercing needed. So why now?

You naively believe its "for the greater good" while shouting down anyone who disagrees that they're "fucking idiots" while its patently obvious that its to coerce you into the only choice they want you to make ( which is the consumer's choice to make, always was, always will be ), theirs, when you buy newer hardware. Its the only reason, if it was really for the sake of enterprises then some versions of Win7, those targeted especially at the consumers, not the enterprises, would still have windows update righteously intact on newer hardware.

You claim that anyone who disagrees with MS are fucking idiots, fine, its your deeply flawed opinion. But the fact of the matter is that its not for the greater good, its not for enterprises either. Its to coerce the average consumer onto 10, purely and simply and if you can't see this, it seems there's nothing I can do to convince you that the shadows on the wall of your mind aren't real. So I'm out of this proverbial cave, case closed as far as I'm concerned, good luck with your issues.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 22, 2017, 00:13 Simon Says

After having crapped on it on Nougat compared to Marshmallow... I'm so "overjoyed".  

55. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 22, 2017, 00:08 Simon Says

descender wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 20:58:
Sure, it will probably work "just fine" most of the time... but what if some future update breaks something on some future CPU that comes out just before the 2020 cutoff? Is MS also forced to update for that CPU and any bugs that crop up for years after? At what point is MS allowed to make decisions for supporting their own software?

In my opinion, this move has little to do with home users at all. They actually did try to cut off updates with Skylake if you will remember. MS actually made an announcement last January saying that "in 18 months they would cut off Skylake support, and wouldn't support Kaby at all". They didn't announce it early enough and many W8 enterprise machines were already sold with Skylake CPU's, so they ended up having to fully support Skylake until EOL anyway.

MS fully cut off OEM sales of W7/8 last year. All new business PC's with one of these CPU's in them are now sold running W10. To me, this is the single biggest reason why you are seeing this push from MS now... right or wrong. They have a clean break on the enterprise side from the old OS's and the new CPU's and they are going to take advantage of it. Hardware support is the first thing to go away before EOL anyway, and we are past that date for W7 so it was going to get "feature locked" soon. It's far easier to perform those EOL security updates with a reduced team after you lock down what hardware you are actually supporting. Anything that isn't directly enterprise related gets a severe backburner. This is a double whammy of EOL situations for home users.

They aren't "lying" as that ex-MS drama queen would have you believe. Anyone that bought a Kaby processor expecting it to work in W7 is basically a fucking idiot. They literally told you this was coming over a year ago. They simply don't want to deal with supporting their old OS's anymore and they won't if they don't have to. It couldn't possibly be more clear, there is no surprise or hidden agenda... they are telling you way ahead of time that there will be no support for any future CPU releases for those OS's. You can't allow home users to install those same patches without dedicating a team of people to testing them. Without extended support contracts from enterprise paying for those updates... they aren't coming.

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy, they simply don't want to support those CPU's because it isn't profitable and they don't have to. They aren't saying it won't work, they are saying they won't support it. There is a huge difference there. A lot of software is actually cutting off support for pre-W10 with their latest versions, but it doesn't get reported that much. AutoCAD is a big one. At the very least... the writing is on the wall for W7. It isn't just MS pushing that.

It's bizarre to me that so many people here would want to legally force MS to update their software. Should they have to legally support every single new piece of hardware until 2020? Who determines what hardware to enforce updates for? Who decided that the 2020 date was "long enough" in the first place? It would seem there is a lot of self-serving bullshit in this thread... with no regard at all for how a company should actually have to act supporting a product they no longer sell. They can't just "support all hardware forever in every OS", so there has to be a cutoff point and MS have to be the ones to make that call. Whenever they decide to make that call someone is going to be upset... it just happened to be now. Don't say they didn't warn you.

You completely missed this simple point:

Kabylake IS skylake on the SAME drivers, SAME mobos, SAME platform and its ALREADY supported, just with a higher clockspeed. That's it... So why not let people take the risks they want to take, virtually inexistent as they are keeping in mind the previously mentioned fact here^^?

Why artificially allow the older twin to update and not the younger twin? You haven't answered this question and instead went on rambling about something else red-herring style.

Kaby on 7 WORKS, the update process through third parties programs WORKS and it will CONTINUE TO WORK and CONTINUE TO BE supported as long as Skylake is supported because THEY'RE BASICALLY THE EXACT SAME THING.

There's only 1 reason, and its market share, forcing people onto 10. That's it, there is no other reason why one twin is allowed to download updates through the official channels and the other is artificially and arbitrarily barred from doing so, but works just fine when bypassing the artificial barrier.

No matter how you try to spin this, it comes down to this reality^^, that's it. So yes they're lying through their teeth regarding the reason they gave, its pure BS.

Warnings are irrelevant, your "conspiracy" remarks are irrelevant. Trying to frame kabylake as anything more than a higher clocked skylake is irrelevant. Your remark about "support all hardware forever on every OS" is also totally irrelevant.

ITS ABOUT NOT BEING OPPORTUNISTIC OF NEW HARDWARE RELEASES BY ARTIFICIALLY PUTTING BARRIERS TO WINDOWS UPDATES SO THAT THEY PUSH PEOPLE ONTO 10 BY PLAYING THE FEAR CARD.

It's not MS's choice to make which OS we want to run and take risks with regarding the updates. It's my own goddamn choice if I want to run windows 95 or 98 or XP or whatever OS on whichever CPU I please, be it a CPU from 2000 or 2017 and the foreseeable future, and I'll continue to advocate bypassing their bullshit barrier with 3rd party updaters as long as this masquerade continues ( so basically, indefinitely ).

53. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 21, 2017, 16:22 Simon Says

Redmask wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 20:07:
Their OS isn't being crippled. Microsoft stopped updating it like they said they would, what is the problem? They're old operating systems. Even Linux has LTS plans and beyond that if you get support its just a bonus.

Yes it is, and only for a very small portion of the userbase and they had no reason for doing so this early when the plan was to stop updating it only in 2020. They didn't even do this with WinXP back then with earlier CPUs, heck, you can even take a Kabylake/Ryzen processor, install an original copy of WinXP without any updates included and windows updates will work just fine. So why not on Win7?

Heck you can even take a 3rd party windows updater and it'll work just fine with a Ryzen/Kaby processor on Win7.

And need I remind you that the kabylake and skylake differenciation is entirely arbitrary? They're both running on the same motherboards on the same drivers provided by the motherboard manufacturers, NOT MS. So why is windows update working with skylake but artifically blocked on kaby when it has nothing to do with the supporting hardware nor software of the platform?

The answer is patently obvious and is explained brillantly in this Video.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 14:53 Simon Says

-Always been allergic to the libertarian "muh freedumb market" cult...
-Always been allergic to open world games too...

Probably just a coincidence tho.

50. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 18, 2017, 17:00 Simon Says

Also, if anyone is wondering, you don't need to go through the official windows update program, there are 3rd party alternatives which can get around this artificial block on updates for the newest CPUs. Just google 3rd party windows update. Or follow this link:

Four 3rd party windows update tools

News Comments > Turok 2 Remaster Released
2. Re: Turok 2 Remaster Released Mar 17, 2017, 14:44 Simon Says

Is it just me or the "remaster" looks exactly like the original? Look at those textures... Common...  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 17, 2017, 14:41 Simon Says

Convenience is certainly a big factor... Take most resellers platforms for example. Their books are tied to their reader app. You can't use your own favorite reading app, and to me that's totally unacceptable. It's like I'm selling you a CD or MP3 and telling you, well you can only use it on OUR CD players or OUR music apps. Fuck'em...  

News Comments > NVIDIA FCAT VR Benchmark
2. Re: NVIDIA FCAT VR Benchmark Mar 16, 2017, 00:14 Simon Says

self-deleted  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 15, 2017, 18:06 Simon Says

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:46:
“Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

Edward Snowden

This^^

News Comments > Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3
1. Re: Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3 Mar 14, 2017, 20:23 Simon Says

Consolitis = 1  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 14, 2017, 14:47 Simon Says

I guess AMD prefers to push an appeal to authority logical fallacy instead of investigating observed phenomenons and finding the underlying mechanical reason for them. Oh well, the scientific method denied yet again, we're getting used to it.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2017, 17:30 Simon Says

The labour for income paradigm is simply gonna have to go the way of the dodo.

This has nothing to do with the "Millennials fallacy", nor had it anything to do before this with the "Generation X fallacy". They're scapegoats, cop outs, ways to distract the culture and its sectaries from the simple fact that a currency and trade based economy is unfit and horrendously misadapted to a modern civilization and its overarching environment/resource base. It was alright as long as the industrial age didn't kick in, but since then it was the last of its usefulness and its now running itself into the ground, bringing into its fall its overarching, and thus dependent upon, resource base.

All scientific forecasts agree that population will plateau and then slowly decline, and it would plateau even faster had we not these enormous inequalities around the world and, quite paradoxically for some, altho old knowledge to others, lack of access to basic human needs for the majority of the population.

A UBI is not a lasting solution either, merely a stopgap.

What we need is a resource based economy. An economy fit for this environment and civilization. Its either that, we adapt, or we can kiss this civilization and perhaps even the human race bye bye in the next 100 years or so.

The choice is ours.

The New Human Rights Movement - Reinventing The Economy

664 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo