Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 516 (Apprentice)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2016, 15:28 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 13:30:
VaranDragon wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 12:06:
If banks can create money as they see fit, then why is it a crime if I steal some of it?

Pretty sure banks can't just create money. Countries can though.

Think again...

"This article explains how the majority of money in the modern economy is created by commercial banks making loans."

From the bankofengland.co.uk website's quarterly bulletin 2014/Q1

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 27, 2016, 15:24 Simon Says

NotOneOfUs wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 15:07:
Wired Has Officially Lost Any Respect.

(it's official because I said so, that's how it works)

+1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUwMda3iLU

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Transistors will stop shrinking in 2021, but Mooreís law will live on. Jul 25, 2016, 18:26 Simon Says

"Transistors will stop shrinking in 2021, but Mooreís law will live on."

And I blame Rick Moranis for this^^, he should've never stopped acting, its all his fault that things can't shrink any further anymore.

Edit: I say we ask the crew of DS9 for help, who's with me?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/One_Little_Ship_(episode)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 25, 2016, 17:56 Simon Says

Cheaper? LOL WHAT? Cheaper in regard to what? Speed? Well... I don't care if its 1000 times faster than wired broadband when you are stuck with RIDICULOUSLY LOW CAPS.

Download 100 gigs on capped/limited ( what 99% of the people have around here ) mobile and then on wired, and tell me with a straight face again that it was cheaper on mobile, I DARE YOU.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 17:48 Simon Says

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 13:53:
Simon Says wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 12:11:
Heh, it wasn't even in the roadmap in 2014, check it out yourself... I don't mind that they played it safe tho, new node, minimal architectural changes from Maxwell, Paxwell was overall a good move.

It was revealed in March 2014:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/gpu-roadmap-pascal/

And they certainly did not make up Pascal on the spot on that day. The point is it has been on their internal roadmaps for a looooong ass time.
Not sure how you guys think chip development works. Ya think they just go from chip to chip and make up shit as they go?
Not quite. These marvels of engineering take several years in the oven. Pascal is the result of several years of R&D, refinement, engineering, sampling, validation and all that shit that goes into chip development.

NVM, just confirmed what CJ above says when I got access to my desktop... It was announced March 2014, a bit late considering that before that it wasn't on the roadmap while Volta was tho. So Paxwell was afterall a kind of planned at the last second, relatively speaking considering the long time ( obviously ), as you mentioned, that they must be in R&D and co. before going into production.

Edit: Note to the naysayers with "fanboy" dancing in their heads at the sight of the "Paxwell" moniker, changed my mind after seeing the numbers of the RX 480 VS GTX 1060 on old cpus. Gonna GO GREEN this time around seeing as my aging X3470, despite pulling stock clocked skylake i5-6400 perf at moderate overclocks in Sisoft Sandra GFLOPS tests ( and many various other benchmarks ), is still relatively slow compared to i7-6700k, especially in single thread.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2016, 17:53.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 12:11 Simon Says

Heh, it wasn't even in the roadmap in 2014, check it out yourself... I don't mind that they played it safe tho, new node, minimal architectural changes from Maxwell, Paxwell was overall a good move.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced
28. Re: New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced Jul 22, 2016, 16:52 Simon Says

Really puts to the foreground the ever widening divide between the top end and midrange during the last 10 years+. Back then midrange used to get you 66% to 75% of top end's performance.

Nowadays, midrange gets you 25-40% of top end's performance. No wonder they took 7 years this time to achieve a fourfold increase in midrange perf compared to the 4 years before it and 2 to 3 years before that.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 20, 2016, 13:44 Simon Says

"AMD fanboy" Owned 3 Nvidia GPUs, 2 ATI, 2 3dfx, 1 PowerVR, 1 Matrox in the last 20 years. Yeah super "fanboy" xD.

Verno, if for you implacable logic in the face of obvious evidence = excuses, well, I feel sorry for you... You have all my compassion, and then some!

I'd like to see your faces in 2 years when they release Volta and "suddenly" Futuremark releases a true async test using all 3 methods instead of only one that caters to the lowest common denominator. "Fairness" and everything.

RedEye, read the whole thing and for once educate yourself from independent third parties, if you can't read between the lines instead of swallowing the PR whole like a fish, its pretty useless to quote them and only make you sound like some kind of conformist acting out of ignorance and repeating like a Brave New Worlds parrot repeats hypnopedic quotes.

You know, I've been around this site for more than a decade, as well as Ve3D back in the days, back then we used to have real tech journalism and the comments section was always shockfull to the brim of intelligent comments that left me simply no place to interject, so I never bothered to subscribe to comment, all had been said already.

No matter what was discussed, no matter which company was indirectly targeted when discussing their actions, people didn't have preferences nor defended one companies actions over the other or accused one another of "fanboyism" and other petty insignificant labels to defend ignorance ( at worst it was pretty uncommon ), they talked about issues and debated them and it was beautiful to watch. I used to have a blast reading the comments section even without commenting myself.

But the last few years... It all took a pretty hard nosedive and it seems the comment section has followed the same trend, falling in line with the overall trend of rising anti-intellectualism in favor of idiocracy with not only a lack of critical thought, but also the petty mockeries of it which are now pretty much widespread wherever you go, albeit not everywhere, altho its pretty rampant.

These are dark ages for tech journalism ( not to mention journalism as a whole, where has investigative journalism gone? )... and tech news sites comments sections.

I truly wish you all good luck with your intellectual issues people. You deserve better.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2016, 13:57.

2. Async Jul 20, 2016, 11:41 Simon Says

About Async, one picture and one quote says it all...

https://i.imgur.com/s51q4IX.jpg

Futuremark quote: "The implementation is the same regardless of the underlying hardware."

DirectX12 requires that the developer does the job of choosing and coding which kind of implementation is to be used ( as can be clearly seen on the above picture ). And Futuremark can't dispute this, its part of DX12's core functions ( google it ).

Since there is only 1 implementation ( see quote above ) and Nvidia only supports context switching/preempt. And also by their own admission Pascal do support the implementation they have in TimeSpy.

We can conclude, per their own admissions, that TimeSpy is thus coded for the only method which can run on both Pascal and AMD's hardware without hardware specific paths. That method being preempt, with the 2 other faster methods having no code written for them and thus not being used on AMD hardware.

In other words their quote essentially says ( when taking into account that they can't do hardware specific paths ): 'We had to cater to the lowest common denominator out of "fairness", so AMD's hardware gets strawmanned into looking slower than it really is. See how noble and unbiased we are!'

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Now that we got their bit of sophistry deciphered, you are free to conclude whatever you want.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2016, 12:04.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 09:49 Simon Says

Those results in the game that best represent future low level api and async implementation in an unbiased manner...

Factory overclocked 1060 AIB getting beat by 22% by a reference underclocked by 5% 480 in 1440p. Check it out, you're looking at the next 2-3 years of gaming:

Results

1060 = best for yesterday's games ( DX11 )
480 = best for tomorrow's games ( DX12/Vulkan )

My choice is made, I'm getting one of those 480 AIBs, probably one that boosts to 1400mhz, altho I want to avoid the Powercolor Red Devil, never trusted the brand.

Edit: Damn... all these reviews and only 2 have Doom in Vulkan, most don't have Doom at all and those that do except the abovementioned 2 only use OGL, but TimeSpy with its bias fiasco ( see: this and: this ) is fine?!? Well, I guess now I know which sites are biased. Will avoid in the future, its certainly an eye opener.

P.S.: Tech journalism really isn't what it used to be :/

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2016, 10:11.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 18, 2016, 20:57 Simon Says

About Trek... *Picard voice* "We already know there are TEN films... We'll soon know if there are FIVE series."  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
13. Re: What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers. Jul 18, 2016, 08:40 Simon Says

Small village, less than 1000 pop. Most are wired tho, but a lot of people have been left out despite being in the 5km wire range of the node. They didn't even bother to put repeaters on the poles or install long range dsl that can reach 7km wire range instead of the standard dsl.  

10. Re: What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers. Jul 17, 2016, 14:22 Simon Says

Agreed HorrorScope.

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 13:31:
Yikes, Simon. I assume you live in a rural area? if it's an actual TOWN, there are a lot of small fiber companies that are pushing into small towns to get them internet/tv. You should see if there are any in your state, and try to get your local gov't to pester them about coming to your town. If you're out in the middle of nowhere....well, that goes in the "what did you expect" category.

I moved there decades ago before internet was a thing, never expected I'd stay there this long. Altho, I do think that wired internet should eventually be like wired telephone used to be and still kinda is, ubiquitous, a given. No matter where you go, there it is. I don't care if its fiber, as long as you have the no data cap option, I'm good.

5. Re: What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers. Jul 17, 2016, 13:12 Simon Says

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 12:30:
Simon Says wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 12:12:
What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers.

After careful consideration, I've come to a new realization about this debate...

The advertisers argument that we are blocking their ads is upside down. Its more about wanting to prevent us from not ALLOWING them to use our bandwidth.

Its the main concern I have about ads, always been. Ever since I was on 56k, up to now on a limited 20gb monthly data allowance on my home PC. On 56k it was about speed. Pages loaded many times faster. On the current connection its about the data cap, I can't allow advertisers to freeload on my data allowance, its like I'm paying for their advertisement. And I refuse to allow that kind of unauthorized leeching.

Make ads data cap exempt and I'll re-examine my position, until then, I refuse to allow them to make me pay for viewing their ads.

20gb a month on a home line is... really shitty ISP service imo... no chance to change?

Aside that, blocking is malware protection on top of reducing the time and thus bandwidth it takes for sites to load

I wish there was... I have 3 options. 56k dialup, satelite mega lag and 4g home service.

I thought about getting satelite for bigger downloads, browsing, things that don't require a good ping and only keeping a per data use 4g connection for ping critical stuff, but even then, the connection drops 10-20 times a day when playing on it and during holidays its a nightmare. Since Pokťmon Go hit, it has been horrible.

My only move would be to... move, which I can't afford.

1. Re: What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers. Jul 17, 2016, 12:12 Simon Says

What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers.

After careful consideration, I've come to a new realization about this debate...

The advertisers argument that we are blocking their ads is upside down. Its more about wanting to prevent us from not ALLOWING them to use our bandwidth.

Its the main concern I have about ads, always been. Ever since I was on 56k, up to now on a limited 20gb monthly data allowance on my home PC. On 56k it was about speed. Pages loaded many times faster. On the current connection its about the data cap, I can't allow advertisers to freeload on my data allowance, its like I'm paying for their advertisement. And I refuse to allow that kind of unauthorized leeching.

Make ads data cap exempt and I'll re-examine my position, until then, I refuse to allow them to make me pay for viewing their ads.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
12. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jul 15, 2016, 05:48 Simon Says

Just checked the 1000 series forums on Nvidia's site after reading the one month old and still unfixed DPC latency post, this is a bloody mess...  

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
20. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 16:39 Simon Says

Well, I present raw data from multiple independent third parties, what do I get in return as arguments? Speculation, cherry picking and partially veiled Ad Hominem dismissals, so much for not choosing to act "confrontational" in a "us against them" manner, but I'll dismiss this thought, would be an appeal to hypocrisy and irrelevant anyway.

But you do are conveniently ignoring Computerbase.de's unbiased data and the fact that it is consistent with the data from the video analysis as well as Guru3d's data.

And yes, there are gains for 980TI 1070 and owners, I have acknowledged them earlier, the gains are shown in computerbase.de's article, but they're marginal. The fact is, Nvidia GPUs don't have ACEs, that's undisputed. The only gains they can get are from the driver/software based preempt hack. And the biggest gains are on slower CPUs. But in GPU limited scenarios the gains are either null or marginal.

That being said, neither of you has brought anything constructive to this discussion so far. So I guess it'll just end here as far as I'm concerned and I'll wait for further developments.

All in all tho, these are exciting times for PC gaming, and a lot of people are getting free X-mas presents right now so cheer up! Peace.

17. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 15:40 Simon Says

More data:

DOOM with Vulkan and Async ON at Computerbase.de

@ 1440p with TSSAA:

Fury X with Vulkan + Async = 110.4
GTX 1070 = 87.9
GTX 980TI = 85.1
RX 480 = 79.0
Fury X OGL = 72.6
GTX 970 Vulkan = 60.6
RX 480 OGL = 56.4

@1080p with TSSAA

GTX 1070 = 135.7
RX 480 = 122.6
RX 480 OGL = 83.8

Gains on RX 480 @ 1080p = 46.3%
Gains @ 1440p = 40%

1070 lead @ 1080p = 10.6%

Consistent with the data I got elsewhere in regard to relative performance and gains.

What was I saying earlier?

14. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 13:46 Simon Says

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 13:40:
Ive owned both AMD and Nvidia mid to top end cards. There is no doubting it, in the last 5 years or so at least Nvidia has been vastly superior to anything that AMD throws out and this is no fanboi statement. I absolutely hate paying premium for that performance difference, but there it is, I can't see myself going back to AMD unless they hit something out of the ballpark with one of their new cards, and even with Vulcan (How many games do you think are going to use Vulcan compared to DirectX?) support that doesnt seem to be happening any time soon.

I can't disagree with this, I was running a green team card before the present one and I was looking forward to going back to green, but Nvidia with its Pascal midrange twin blunder of preempt instead of proper Async + 6gb 1060 totally crushed the expectations I had for Pascal since the Maxwell release 2 years ago. I was awaiting the 1060 all this time. I was ready, then... Well, blunder + blunder + RX 480.

In the midrange right now it seems to be the only reasonable and logical choice, of course I'll wait for the 1060 reviews, but I'm pretty sure the DX12 perf won't be stellar if I rely on the 1070 and 1080 results so far. And I only buy midrange, keep it 4-5 years then change. Kept the current one a bit too long tho, 7 years, damn Pascal.

Would I be in the market for above midrange, 1070 would probably have my money.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2016, 13:54.

13. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 13:41 Simon Says

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 12:31:
El Pit wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 12:14:
Simon Says wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 11:54:
AMD is great *waaaaaah*

Dude, almost every website writes that the RX480 is about on par with the 970 (NOT THE 1070!). But I know that in your eyes those are all paid nVidia shills, so I won't even bother to try and argue with you. Live in your own little AMD world and enjoy it!
Strange, waaaaaah is exactly what I read, not to mention his failure to even acknowledge AMDs horrible implementation of dx11.
It's even strange to the point of being childish that he thinks it's an us against them, persecution complex like sort of thing.

Us against them? Where? How have you come to that twisted perceptive illusion? I wonder... Nice strawman too with the DX11 reference btw, DOOM doesn't run on DX11, its OGL, unless you have some kind of problem with a lack of information, you'd know that. And I never, anywhere in my comment claimed that AMD didn't have a problem with DX11, you're just erroneously assuming that I don't outside of the context of the DOOM OGL to Vulkan comparison. And even if I did, it doesn't preclude very good results for the RX 480 when DX12/Vulkan + Async is correctly implemented.

Have a nice day.

516 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo