Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 620 (Apprentice)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 20, 2017, 18:51 Simon Says

ventry wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 17:43:
Ahhh! Windows 10 haterz. Gotta luv em.(NOT)

When DX12 becomes mandatory on games (and it WILL despite your pissing and moaning)you will be left with a choice:

A: Cut your nose off to spite your face and give up on new release gaming.

B: Become total fucking hypocrites and install Windows 10.

Nice little corner you've painted yourselves into eh?

Quote: " 'But interestingly that doesn’t mean that it is needed by everyone. The extra level of control brings with it a certain amount of extra complexity – and that means that some developers might be reluctant to move to DirectX 12 – indeed, a game which is not really limited by GPU horsepower, and which isn’t bottlenecked by just one CPU thread isn’t usually going to gain much from moving to DirectX 12.

In those cases DirectX 11 or DirectX 9 likely represents a perfectly acceptable way to design titles. But titles which are highly graphically ambitious almost invariably benefit from DirectX 12.'

In short, game developers have decided that DX12 isn’t worth the extra time and effort on all but the most demanding titles at this point. This despite the general consensus that DX12 is better on many titles over DX11, especially for those with true DX12 empowered video cards."

Iows, since DX12 requires a massive time and effort investment relative to its predecessors contrarily to any of its predecessors releases relative to theirs, it'll still be not worth it to design titles in DX12 in the foreseeable future for most of the games since AAA titles with big budget only comprise a small percentage of the games released.

To resume... Budget and time constraints are likely to keep DX11 and DX9 alive for a very long time...

Nice little strawman you've painted yourself into eh?

Source

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 20, 2017, 14:09 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 13:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 11:42:
But dons android phone is safe and not a remote control listening device, right? because reasons...

Why bother hacking his phone when you have compromising pics of him banging Russian prostitutes?

Maybe because wet cigars in the oval office won't do much for you anymore nowadays... So prostitutes? Lol, nothing to impeach about.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2017, 13:25 Simon Says

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 19, 2017, 00:30:
The big problem with universal income is imo that, if you don't implement it globally, it by default necessitates total border closures and a token system (ie, you can't use a universal wage tokens from your nation in another nation, or there'd be at the very least permission zones for tokens). Otherwise you'd create a huge pull factor for immigrants from the deepest shit-holes of the planet into the developed nations.

Not necessarily, you can add provisions to get access to the UBI which could prevent that, like being a citizen of the country in question or having lived in the country in question for at least "x years", already having a steady job for "x years", and on and on, whatever works to prevent this kind of "gold rush".

And anyway, in most countries, immigration conditions are very stringent, you should see the list of requirements for being accepted in Canada that came up when Trump got elected for example, most Amerians, even those who had a steady job for decades, millionaires, who have no debt, etc, wouldn't be accepted. Taking advantage of a UBI is a lot harder than you think and putting in place additional safeguards is easy and a no-brainer.

It makes your whole argument pretty moot.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 16, 2017, 11:31 Simon Says

Seems like some people don't care about their privacy nor do they care about blackmailing and identity theft. The points brought up in the article aren't far fetched "whatever wing of the same bird" propaganda, they're very real issues with very real consequences.

And of course its going to affect tourism and probably business too.

The US was already on my travel blacklist since the Bush regime, Obomber didn't convince me otherwise and the current plutocratic oligarchy late stage capitalism takeover with an acute case of unfounded paranoïa and control freakness is not gonna convince me otherwise either, quite the contrary. If I travel, it'll be elsewhere.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2017, 22:31 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 15:06:
That decryption case is a tough nut. Child pr0n vs fifth amendment. I hate child pr0n but also decry the erosion of the bill of rights.

Its a machiavellian proposition by the system, they want the ends to always justify the means, we all know where this leads.

And this is the perfect case for them to go on a crusade to erode even more the already pretty much disappearing shoreline of US citizen's rights.

I can already imagine it...

"What? You don't want to force this scum to decrypt the data? You're for pedophilia?"

News Comments > Star Trek- Bridge Crew in May; Will Include Original Enterprise
1. Re: Star Trek- Bridge Crew in May; Will Include Original Enterprise Feb 10, 2017, 18:05 Simon Says

That + Bridge Commander like gameplay and it would be interesting...  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 10, 2017, 10:27 Simon Says

Not really the end of the middle class... more like the beginning of the end of the trade and currency based economy. UBI can keep it on life support for a while, but eventually it'll either have to go the way of the dodo or humans will go the way of the dodo along with it.

What we need is a resource based economy ( google it before babbling that we already have one please ).

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Feb 2, 2017, 09:12 Simon Says

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 22:13:
That sort of shit pisses me off. They need to outlaw police chases. It's just not worth it. Macho psycho cops obviously don't care because they're all jacked about nailing the perp that all started over some stupid traffic violation. I personally know someone who was a victim of this sort of insanity.

Police chases kill more people each year than floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and lightning — combined

High-speed police chases have killed thousands of innocent bystanders

"Nearly every day, someone is killed during a high-speed chase between police and a suspect. Almost half of the 11,500 people killed since 1979 have been bystanders or passengers in fleeing cars"

For that argument to be validated, I'd need statistics comparing the deaths resulting of bozos driving at crazy speeds in perfect impunity VS police chases.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 1, 2017, 13:30 Simon Says

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 12:53:
Ozmodan wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 12:14:
Personally if Ryzen is even close to competitive I will probably build a new system with it. Just tired of Intel's lack of innovation and lack of price drops on it's chips. Getting fed up with Nvidia too.

Shit Nvidia has been improving very steadily over the years and the current gen was one of their best percentage boosts ever.

Remember the story the other day about the material that electricity can run through it without creating heat? It is going to take a breakthrough like that for us to see huge gains like 10ghz and more.

Best percentage boost? Huh? There are ZERO IPC improvements between Skylake and Kabylake, its all in the very marginal clockspeed increases which don't really matter for most enthusiasts since they already OC Skylakes in pretty much the same Ghz range as Oc'd kabylakes.

Kabylake is a total joke.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 1, 2017, 12:11 Simon Says

Yup, most current phones suck badly. Exactly the kind of reasons why I stuck so long with an aging S4 and still do.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2017, 13:27.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 26, 2017, 17:11 Simon Says

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 11:07:
Candy Crush XXL 4K

Nonsense, every game released so far ( and in the future ) that plays @ 810p+ can be ran on scorpio @ 4k at the exact same framerate as the original xbox. How do I know this? Simple extrapolations. Just look at the performance hit going from 1080p to 4k, its around 2x to 3x slower on average and not 4x like you might think. Scorpio VS original Xbox's got more than 4x more horsepower on the GPU. Doesn't take a PhD to figure out the rest.

You will be able to play games like The Witcher 3 @ 4k on Scorpio at the exact same framerate as on the original Xbox. Which isn't really surprising considering a puny GTX1060 6gb can play The Witcher 3 locked @ 30fps on barely tweaked settings from max @ 4k. And I know this because I tried it on my own GTX1060. Altho I do prefer to drop resolution to be able to enjoy a steady 60fps.

13. Re: Prey in May Jan 26, 2017, 09:29 Simon Says

rawbelly wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 02:04:
ars is just clickbait anyway. THey write, "it's not clear exactly what kind of Android phone Trump uses" Yet discusses how unsecure it is. Like they have ANY clue how they have him set up.

I had a guy at work tell me today Trump should be in jail because he was SURE that he must have done shady business dealings in the past. Just chuck him right in. Everyone just assuming everything.

There are just too many pots calling too many kettles black these days.

We need an old abandoned Football stadium somewhere where masses of people can just show up and beat each other to death, gladiator style. Get it out of their systems.

Let me finish that quote for you:

"It's not clear exactly what kind of Android phone Trump uses—he has previously indicated that it's a Samsung Galaxy device—or whether it has also been encrypted or otherwise hardened or what kinds of things he uses it for. Samsung's Knox software is approved for "sensitive but unclassified use" by the US Department of Defense, so these phones are cleared for at least some kinds of government work when configured correctly.

How big of a deal is this? We don't know anything about the phone's configuration, but the state of Android security is notoriously poor compared to other operating systems like iOS or Windows, both of which are patched regularly by Apple and Microsoft with no interference from hardware manufacturers or wireless carriers."

They have lots of clues about how his old untouched phone is set up since everyone and their aunts have analysed them, inside and out from the open source code of Android.

As for the one the DoD gave him, pretty sure its as secure as Obomber's, but I have no idea why you would bring this one in this discussion since he's talking about the OLD ONE that he is allegedly STILL USING.

Talk about cherry picking the quote, well, nvm, fixed now.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Apple releases Find My AirPods feature for locating lost earbuds in iOS 10.3 beta Jan 26, 2017, 04:24 Simon Says

So first they ban a third party app to find your airpods, then they introduce this... Well I guess that's crApple for you...  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 24, 2017, 14:50 Simon Says

BobBob wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 13:41:
What puzzles me is that logic, philosophy, and critical thinking are considered college level courses. They should be taught in elementary school along with math, history, English, etc.

THIS^^^^^^

9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 04:49 Simon Says

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 23:12:
It's not a defence but it's a demonstration of people's epic double standards, especially since many of the things I listed above are things where people pay for the privilege of being spied on in a much more intrusive way, unlike the current majority of Windows 10 installs.

You call it double standard, I call it PREFERENCES.

I don't mind some snooping in some aspects of my life, I use hotmail and facebook for example. But I always turn off the smartphone gps, geolocation and that kind of thing + disable certain apps and if I can't, use custom roms with them disabled by default ( around here there aren't enough towers to triangulate based on signal strength, only 1 serves the town where I am ). I tunnel through VPNs on wifi hotspots and home wifi too. And lastly I use a firewall on the phone so I can select only a few apps which have access to the wifi signal ( I don't use mobile data at all, its disabled at the rom level and disabled at my provider too ).

I don't do the same thing on facebook and hotmail than on my PC at home or the smartphone. For some activities I want a certain level of privacy, for others, another level. It has nothing to do with double standard, its simply preference.

I won't switch to windows 10, I avoided every KB related to telemetry and co. on windows 7, none are installed on the PC I'm typing this on, spybot's anti-telemetry tool is installed too with everything blocked off. Everything that can't be blocked this way is blocked on the router. I don't have a mic, when I want privacy I turn off the speakers, I don't have a cam either.

Its not something you have the option of doing on win 10, picking and choosing which KB to install or not and is a big reason I chose a Nvidia card this time around that I will keep for as long as possible, so that DX12 isn't a biggie.

So you see, yeah, some people might be clueless, I'm not and I'm certainly not the only one.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 20, 2017, 02:08 Simon Says

Seems like right now the only thing it manages to breath in is new bugs... Gonna have to wait a few weeks/months for it to mature a bit.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jan 19, 2017, 01:10 Simon Says

I disagree, Mass Effect must be the worse game name ever when you consider that in medical circles its the technical terms for a physical urge to take a shit.

And no, I'm not shitting you, a nurse I know told me this years before anyone knew anything about the game. I told her when the game got advertised prior to release, it got a good laugh out of her and the staff where she works when she told them... Many puns were born.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 02:04 Simon Says

That pun on Kotaku...

"Gabe should run for President. Seems right up his alley considering the terms stop at 2."

LOLLLL

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 17, 2017, 22:35 Simon Says

He hasn't fled to Russia, he simply got stuck there on his transit when on his way to Ecuador when his passport got revoked before he landed in Russia. If anyone is responsible for him being in Russia right now, its the US gov.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 05:23 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 00:12:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 21:37:
Seems like a perfect time for this shameless plug:

The New Human Rights Movement: Reinventing the Economy to End Oppression

You'll never fix the economic system until you fix the political system. There's no incentive for laws or change to benefit the common person when it's making so much money for corporations and elites, and the people making the laws rely on rich people to get reelected.

Certainly you've read this.

"A proposed policy change with low support among economically elite Americans (one-out-of-five in favour) is adopted only about 18% of the time," they write, "while a proposed change with high support (four-out-of-five in favour) is adopted about 45% of the time."
On the other hand:
When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organised interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the US political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favour policy change, they generally do not get it.

You're totally out of subject, perhaps you should check out first who wrote it and why, then you'd understand a thing or 2 about your argument being a complete non-sequitur.

620 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo