Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 530 (Apprentice)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
11. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 16:47 Simon Says

MattyC wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:35:
Jagacademy wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:55:
nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:50:
Simon Says wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:45:
Peeps... notice... no GPU needed, I suspect a streamed lag fest. Forget about textures and co. This is as shitty port'ish as it can get.

It's not a port, it's streaming, AKA Gaikai:

http://kotaku.com/sony-announces-game-streaming-service-playstation-now-1496385001

You just said exactly what he did.

Obviously I have never played around with this and when I played with Steam streaming it was for all of about 20 minutes, but I streamed Red Orchestra to some ancient laptop and it ran great and was very playable.

Also how would a stream be in any way comparable to a port?

Is it essentially the PS version on an internet stream? If yes, there isn't any work done on it to accommodate PCs, therefore its a port, a shitty port.

Sony can tell itself any fairy tale it wants, its not the same as giving PC gamers a PC game. Especially not when its gonna guzzle that bandwidth cap with compression artifacts and unavoidable additional input lag. Even if you didn't notice the lag, doesn't mean it isn't there or that it isn't noticeable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
4. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 15:45 Simon Says

Peeps... notice... no GPU needed, I suspect a streamed lag fest. Forget about textures and co. This is as shitty port'ish as it can get.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 23, 2016, 14:38 Simon Says

I don't see the issue here, it treats all data sources ( where it comes from ) the same, as per Net Neutrality's basic principles.  

News Comments > PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power
29. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 18:35 Simon Says

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 18:09:
ldonyo wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 17:29:
What is a power draw like that going to do to the traces and the PCB itself? Pulling four times the power is going to be murder on the materials currently used, so something is going to have to change to accommodate the increased power draw.

They'll use better materials, and thus the motherboards will get more expensive. That's why I'm not happy when they're talking about useless 500W figures, because it'll up the price of a mobo by... what, 20, 30 bucks, for absolutely no purpose.

Yup, and the crosstalk is going to become a problem pretty fast, forcing you into repeated purchases and upgrades, more programmed obsolescence.

19. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 14:15 Simon Says

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 13:28:
LittleMe wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 13:23:
What's this going to do for PSU requirements? If someone is using a low power card, will they still be required to get a 500W+ PSU just because PCIe 4 motherboard requires it? That's what it appears to do. Is there a option in the spec to drop to 75w or less?

You only have to spec your PSU to TPD, aka, the amount of power actually drawn by your system. The bus isn't going to draw 300W of power if it only needs 120W. What's it going to do with the other 180W?

Yup, that's a very good point, will motherboards require that PSUs be able to feed the 300/400/500W before being able to boot, aka, that all connectors are plugged even if you won't even use them at all or use it all?

My only wish is that GPU makers realize that most of their sales come from older PC upgrades, not new PCs. Considering the super slowing down of Moore's law lately with CPUs taking 7-8 years to double in perf, case in point: i7-920 VS i7-6700k, at stock speeds the 6700k is exactly twice as fast in both singlethread and multithread. Overclocked the data is even worse.

GPUs as well as CPUs progressions has also slowed down considerably leading to less repeated purchases.

Anyway, unless they let a lot of years pass from the time PCIE 4.0 is integrated into their GPU to the time that they remove the extra power connectors, GPU makers will see their sales plummet to record lows.

A good compromise would see AIBs sell "legacy" PCIE 4.0 cards with the connectors still availlable while reference cards and other AIB models could rely exclusively on the PCIE 4.0 port juice.

Let us hope they'll be smart on this one, or this is gonna turn quickly into a clusterfuck.

10. Re: PCIe 4.0 to Deliver More Speed and Power Aug 22, 2016, 12:31 Simon Says

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 10:22:
My question is, really...WHY? If I have to run another power connector to the motherboard, I can just as easily run that to the video card. Feels a lot like a solution in search of a problem.

Yup, and despite their claims of backward compatibility, its not entirely true. New pcie 4.0 cards without extra power connectors that use more than 75W will be totally incompatible with 3.0 connectors and down.

Reeks of programmed obsolescence to force the numerous people, who are still probably the majority, to upgrade while they don't see the point of upgrading to the latest platform because their Sandy/Ivy/Broadwell/Haswell and heck even Lynnfield CPUs are still perfectly capable of feeding their latest gen GPUs.

Intel must be jumping up and down right now despite them giving only pathetically low performance upgrades in the last 5 gens supposedly because of AMD lagging behind and being unable to give decent competition. Heck they're still only offering 4c/8t to the mainstream, it has been going on for a decade now

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2016, 13:57.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 18, 2016, 18:53 Simon Says

NKD wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 13:04:
Its always been better to get digital audio from the source and then use separate DAC hardware. You can pick and choose which hardware you use, instead of just being stuck with whats in your phone/motherboard/whatever. Once the audio has gone through some cheap ass DAC, it's already ruined and no fancy headphones or hardware will make it sound good again.

That's why you have reviews like those @ gsmarena.com for this, in general iPhones and Samsung/LG flagships have excellent scores/DACs, no need for an external one.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 16:47 Simon Says

Quboid: As stated, exactly once since they installed the battery shield.

And yes, Blue has it right, statistics like this don't lie.

Also, agreed with Horrorscope, they seem to really make a mountain out of a molehill every time anything remotely dangerous happens to an electric car even though they are actually safer despite having new tech which quirks and early design flaws haven't been ironed out yet.

As for the once every 17 hours original data, it was for similar circumstances only, iows, not every possible circumstances, which as stated by Blue, happens a whole lot more often.

As for stating that: "it never happened to me, anyone I know and I'm not aware of it, so it doesn't exist." Its an irrelevant anecdotal logical fallacy. OR What Redeye said.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2016, 17:08.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 11:38 Simon Says

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 10:00:
It's a good thing gas cars never catch on fire, no wait.

1 Tesla fire post shield installation per 100 million miles driven.

Compared to:

1 traditional car fires per 20 millions miles average driven.

Still 5 times safer with the current, albeit limited, data.

Someday they'll have to stop making a fuss out of every incident, 1 traditional car catches fire every 17 hours in average and that's ONLY in the US.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs
22. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 16, 2016, 23:31 Simon Says

Any words if these fix the DPC latency and stutter issues people are having?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2016, 18:08 Simon Says

Self-deleted, nvm

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2016, 18:36.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 1, 2016, 18:34 Simon Says

Well, if its the secret to the Maxwell VS Kepler power savings, AMD now knows about it and can implement it in Navi or later architectures, or perhaps they already knew and have it in Vega. We'll see.  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
12. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 1, 2016, 03:23 Simon Says

I have extensive experience with chipped cards for a decade+ now.

Speed depends entirely on 3 factors, the first 2 being much more decisive than the third:

1- Machine model used, some are slow, some are lightning fast. The fastest that I frequently use is the new one at the local Chinese restaurant, after hitting the last OK, its 1 or 2 seconds max even on busy days with lots of queries on the server. Previous one sometimes ran up to 10-15 seconds. The waitress working there is singing the praises of the new machine, it made her work much more fluid when she's busy and serving non-stop.

2- Store internet connection, faster internet connection = faster processing.

3- Server load, some days are slightly slower on the same machine than other days, usually when there's lots of shopping on some days, its slightly slower, and its always in relation to the machine speed. Fastest machines take around 1 second longer, slower machines are slowed down by more than a second.

So if its slow, blame the machines used and the internet connection, they're the predominant factors 99% of the time. The best machines are lightning fast, as fast as the old swipe method. Only on incredibly busy days or days with connection problems will you see a big increase because of server load and/or lag.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 31, 2016, 04:35 Simon Says

I gave windows 10 a try, heck, I gave it 6, count'em, SIX tries, all clean format installs. They all resulted, until now, in various experience crippling errors that couldn't be fixed by the end user. Last one was just 2 weeks ago after a 6 months break to see if MS had finally got their shit together.

Had been running it for 2 weeks, then it started shutting down cold at the loading screen. No reboot, no error messages, nothing. Restarted it, ran fine, but I could never boot on the 1st try. Blue screen viewer couldn't tell what happened, same for the events log.

I tried every "fix" I could find on the net, nothing.

Eventually gave up for the 6th time. Gonna retry it in about a year and see if MS has finally got their shit together, until then, back on 7 and running perfectly smooth as ever. ITM, fuck 10.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2016, 15:28 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 13:30:
VaranDragon wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 12:06:
If banks can create money as they see fit, then why is it a crime if I steal some of it?

Pretty sure banks can't just create money. Countries can though.

Think again...

"This article explains how the majority of money in the modern economy is created by commercial banks making loans."

From the bankofengland.co.uk website's quarterly bulletin 2014/Q1

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 27, 2016, 15:24 Simon Says

NotOneOfUs wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 15:07:
Wired Has Officially Lost Any Respect.

(it's official because I said so, that's how it works)

+1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUwMda3iLU

20. Transistors will stop shrinking in 2021, but Moore’s law will live on. Jul 25, 2016, 18:26 Simon Says

"Transistors will stop shrinking in 2021, but Moore’s law will live on."

And I blame Rick Moranis for this^^, he should've never stopped acting, its all his fault that things can't shrink any further anymore.

Edit: I say we ask the crew of DS9 for help, who's with me?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/One_Little_Ship_(episode)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 25, 2016, 17:56 Simon Says

Cheaper? LOL WHAT? Cheaper in regard to what? Speed? Well... I don't care if its 1000 times faster than wired broadband when you are stuck with RIDICULOUSLY LOW CAPS.

Download 100 gigs on capped/limited ( what 99% of the people have around here ) mobile and then on wired, and tell me with a straight face again that it was cheaper on mobile, I DARE YOU.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 17:48 Simon Says

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 13:53:
Simon Says wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 12:11:
Heh, it wasn't even in the roadmap in 2014, check it out yourself... I don't mind that they played it safe tho, new node, minimal architectural changes from Maxwell, Paxwell was overall a good move.

It was revealed in March 2014:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/gpu-roadmap-pascal/

And they certainly did not make up Pascal on the spot on that day. The point is it has been on their internal roadmaps for a looooong ass time.
Not sure how you guys think chip development works. Ya think they just go from chip to chip and make up shit as they go?
Not quite. These marvels of engineering take several years in the oven. Pascal is the result of several years of R&D, refinement, engineering, sampling, validation and all that shit that goes into chip development.

NVM, just confirmed what CJ above says when I got access to my desktop... It was announced March 2014, a bit late considering that before that it wasn't on the roadmap while Volta was tho. So Paxwell was afterall a kind of planned at the last second, relatively speaking considering the long time ( obviously ), as you mentioned, that they must be in R&D and co. before going into production.

Edit: Note to the naysayers with "fanboy" dancing in their heads at the sight of the "Paxwell" moniker, changed my mind after seeing the numbers of the RX 480 VS GTX 1060 on old cpus. Gonna GO GREEN this time around seeing as my aging X3470, despite pulling stock clocked skylake i5-6400 perf at moderate overclocks in Sisoft Sandra GFLOPS tests ( and many various other benchmarks ), is still relatively slow compared to i7-6700k, especially in single thread.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2016, 17:53.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 12:11 Simon Says

Heh, it wasn't even in the roadmap in 2014, check it out yourself... I don't mind that they played it safe tho, new node, minimal architectural changes from Maxwell, Paxwell was overall a good move.  

530 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo