Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Simon Says

Real Name Simon Says   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 12, 2012, 10:27
Total Comments 606 (Apprentice)
User ID 57330

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2017, 04:49 Simon Says

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 23:12:
It's not a defence but it's a demonstration of people's epic double standards, especially since many of the things I listed above are things where people pay for the privilege of being spied on in a much more intrusive way, unlike the current majority of Windows 10 installs.

You call it double standard, I call it PREFERENCES.

I don't mind some snooping in some aspects of my life, I use hotmail and facebook for example. But I always turn off the smartphone gps, geolocation and that kind of thing + disable certain apps and if I can't, use custom roms with them disabled by default ( around here there aren't enough towers to triangulate based on signal strength, only 1 serves the town where I am ). I tunnel through VPNs on wifi hotspots and home wifi too. And lastly I use a firewall on the phone so I can select only a few apps which have access to the wifi signal ( I don't use mobile data at all, its disabled at the rom level and disabled at my provider too ).

I don't do the same thing on facebook and hotmail than on my PC at home or the smartphone. For some activities I want a certain level of privacy, for others, another level. It has nothing to do with double standard, its simply preference.

I won't switch to windows 10, I avoided every KB related to telemetry and co. on windows 7, none are installed on the PC I'm typing this on, spybot's anti-telemetry tool is installed too with everything blocked off. Everything that can't be blocked this way is blocked on the router. I don't have a mic, when I want privacy I turn off the speakers, I don't have a cam either.

Its not something you have the option of doing on win 10, picking and choosing which KB to install or not and is a big reason I chose a Nvidia card this time around that I will keep for as long as possible, so that DX12 isn't a biggie.

So you see, yeah, some people might be clueless, I'm not and I'm certainly not the only one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jan 20, 2017, 02:08 Simon Says

Seems like right now the only thing it manages to breath in is new bugs... Gonna have to wait a few weeks/months for it to mature a bit.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jan 19, 2017, 01:10 Simon Says

I disagree, Mass Effect must be the worse game name ever when you consider that in medical circles its the technical terms for a physical urge to take a shit.

And no, I'm not shitting you, a nurse I know told me this years before anyone knew anything about the game. I told her when the game got advertised prior to release, it got a good laugh out of her and the staff where she works when she told them... Many puns were born.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
14. Re: Evening Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 02:04 Simon Says

That pun on Kotaku...

"Gabe should run for President. Seems right up his alley considering the terms stop at 2."

LOLLLL

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 17, 2017, 22:35 Simon Says

He hasn't fled to Russia, he simply got stuck there on his transit when on his way to Ecuador when his passport got revoked before he landed in Russia. If anyone is responsible for him being in Russia right now, its the US gov.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2017, 05:23 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 00:12:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 21:37:
Seems like a perfect time for this shameless plug:

The New Human Rights Movement: Reinventing the Economy to End Oppression

You'll never fix the economic system until you fix the political system. There's no incentive for laws or change to benefit the common person when it's making so much money for corporations and elites, and the people making the laws rely on rich people to get reelected.

Certainly you've read this.

"A proposed policy change with low support among economically elite Americans (one-out-of-five in favour) is adopted only about 18% of the time," they write, "while a proposed change with high support (four-out-of-five in favour) is adopted about 45% of the time."
On the other hand:
When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organised interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the US political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favour policy change, they generally do not get it.

You're totally out of subject, perhaps you should check out first who wrote it and why, then you'd understand a thing or 2 about your argument being a complete non-sequitur.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 21:37 Simon Says

Seems like a perfect time for this shameless plug:

The New Human Rights Movement: Reinventing the Economy to End Oppression

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Virginia “Broadband Deployment Act” would kill municipal broadband deployment. Jan 14, 2017, 00:58 Simon Says

"Virginia “Broadband Deployment Act” would kill municipal broadband deployment."

That Orwellian tendency for bills names is frankly very disturbing.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint All Promise Gigabit Wireless in 2017 Jan 11, 2017, 16:23 Simon Says

"Verizon, AT&T, Sprint All Promise Gigabit Wireless in 2017"

When that prospect of burning even faster through ones stupidly limited data allowance is about to get even more stupid. *yawn*

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2017, 02:02 Simon Says

El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 01:36:
I am waiting for benchmarks by websites based on the consumer version. I don't trust AMD after the lies about Bulldozer and the RX480.

What RX480 lies? AMD didn't lie, people who got their hands on early hardware did. Get those facts straight please.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2017, 02:00 Simon Says

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2017, 01:38:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 10, 2017, 16:21:
Shows around a 10'ish FPS increase over a 1080.

Yeah, but no PhysX.

Heh, who uses PhysX anymore? Or more to the point, who sees any performance boost from running PhysX on the GPU instead of one of the many idle dedicated threads on the CPU?

Answer, not enough to care. Its a non-issue.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2017, 18:46 Simon Says

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 08:19:
I get they want to push the whole home automation thing but doing it over a normal wifi protocol is not the way to do it. The last thing we need is more wifi devices on the 2.4Ghz or even 5Ghz band. The congestion is going to be unreal if this comes true. Its already bad enough you can't anywhere close to the full speed from your wifi router because of all the other neighbors on similar channels.

The other thing to be concerned with is security. As seen with routers or TVs most people will not go out of their way to update the firmware. Do you think most people are going to do that for each and every "internet of things" device.

Even if they did, or it was done automatically, imagine if a firmware upgrade bricks your fridge...

I can understand why LG would want to do it. They can threaten to cut service if you don't switch to a brand new fridge and co. Or get you to subscribe so your fridge doesn't lock on you or stop working. Or all kind of nasties.

Sure if only 1 company does it, they can't, but if all companies implement this, we're royally screwed. And guess what, they all know its in their best self interests to all do it without any need for a formal conspiracy.

The future looks bleak, or jailbroken/rooted then cut off from wifi if it becomes a problem in my case.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
27. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 4, 2017, 18:13 Simon Says

This whole thing really is a no-brainer when you ask someone this:

Say you have 2 friends, 1 friend is a pathological liar and has been for a long time, he tells you one thing with no one else to back him up and refuses to show proof but tells you "just trust me".

The other friend has never lied to you or anyone else ever since he was born, not even once and numerous independent third parties confirm what he's saying without having spoken to each other and your trustworthy friend, which in a court of law can act as proof.

Which friend would you trust?

The pathological liar is the US Gov and its institutions.

The trustworthy friend is Wikileaks, which despite having been brought into court numerous times over the years since its inception for false information disclosure accusations, won all of them, every single one.

The wise choice is patently obvious when you consider that the pathological liar has plenty to lose and the trustworthy guy has nothing to gain. And when you consider that Trump has shown his contempt for Assange countless times during the elections.

Anyone believing the US gov and its institutions right now has serious gullibility and irrationality issues.

2. Overclocking Records Set with 7th Gen Intel Core Processors Jan 4, 2017, 15:51 Simon Says

"Overclocking Records Set with 7th Gen Intel Core Processors"

Misleading title is misleading... The overclocking record still belongs to an old ass 32nm AMD CPU at circa 8.7ghz.

Source

Correct title would've been: "Single thread performance records set with..."

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 3, 2017, 13:56 Simon Says

Pigeon wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 13:13:
freesync+HDR, yes please. I can only hope with the widespread industry adoption of freesync Nvidia will be forced to support it. While it's hard to do an exact apples to apples comparison g-sync appears to add an extra $200-250 over the price of a similar free-sync monitor. IMO you're better off pumping that money into a better video card. I seem to remember reading somewhere that gsync laptops worked in the same way as free-sync, i.e. they didn't have the proprietary gsync chip, and all the work was done on the GPU.

The G-Sync chip is probably mostly a scam indeed, a glorified proprietary lock, DRM-style.

6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 31, 2016, 11:29 Simon Says

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 11:09:
Simon Says wrote on Dec 31, 2016, 10:29:
A snip
So something has to be in a wikileak before it's real? Rather circuitous logic.

Nice strawman logical fallacy you got there, it would be a shame if someone pointed it out... Oops!

I never said anything of the sort, -10 points for willingly and consciously misconstruing my words to support a bogus counter-argument.

3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 31, 2016, 10:29 Simon Says

A few things to ponder:

1- Wikileaks formally officially stated with independent third party witnesses testimony that it was a leak inside the DNC. Such independent third party witness testimony is allowable in a court of law and can act as proof. As such, the burden of proof is on the people pushing the hack narrative right now, and they have provided none whatsoever.

2- Wikileaks has never lost a lawsuit over accusations of fake information in court, it has won every case, every single one.

Knowing this, I'd be hard pressed into being conned that there has ever been a hack, unless it has been done by the DNC insider who provided the information to Wikileaks.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 28, 2016, 15:21 Simon Says

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 15:16:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 13:33:
Favorite post from Incontentia Buttocks

"Hmmm...disabled HT, and 2 cores AND raise VCC to 2.0v.

"If we put a twin turbo on that 1.6l and throw a little NO2 into the mix she'll do 10 seconds in the quarter" Sadly the engine explodes after 5 seconds...."

Joke is, without HT and 2 cores, it's slower than before the OC

Not entirely true, its slower than the stock part in multi threaded scenarios, but much faster in single threaded ones.

News Comments > Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers
46. Re: Star Citizen Engine Switch; Alpha Released for Backers Dec 25, 2016, 08:37 Simon Says

Milking Citizen  

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 23, 2016, 04:05 Simon Says

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 20:21:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 11:40:
Tim Cook confirms- tech met with Trump to ask for billions in tax breaks.

Yes because those tech giants are on the edge of profitability.
Apple is definitely hurting. /s

xD +1

606 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo