Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for LC

Real Name LC   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname LC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 2, 2012, 17:40
Total Comments 45 (Suspect)
User ID 57322

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
49. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 15:19 LC

InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 11:51:
Beamer wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 10:56:
So what's the difference between Steam and this?

I mean, I get the annoyance at it being built into the OS, but then people discuss SteamOS, which seems the same, no?

Steam OS is open source based, it's basically Linux. That most games don't run natively on Linux is a whole other can of worms.

SteamOS is Linux. Specifically it's Debian with I believe the Gnome3 desktop environment. Also it's not in any way required. The Steam client is available for the majority of Linux distros.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu Next Year
14. Re: Call of Cthulhu Next Year Feb 26, 2016, 14:44 LC

Tyrric wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 14:13:
I am less confident with Cyanide though.

Ditto. I've got the impression Cyanide is an assembly line studio that just churns out lots of mediocre games.

News Comments > Legends of Callasia Early Access
1. Re: Legends of Callasia Early Access Feb 19, 2016, 10:11 LC

With a name like Call Asia I was expecting something about telemarketers. Something like your call center is in danger of being replaced by robocallers or outsourced. Leaving you to rally your team of quirky, misfits to get results and save your jobs. You know kind of a 21st century retelling of the John Henry legend.  

News Comments > Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed
7. Re: Master of Orion Early Access Next Week; Voice Cast Detailed Feb 18, 2016, 13:31 LC

Cutter wrote on Feb 18, 2016, 13:01:
Who is Wash?

Alan Tudyk's character in Firefly. You just dropped another couple points in the opinion polls.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 15, 2016, 14:09 LC

Re: Distro Wars. Nice little write up. Even if there are hundreds of distros the differences the differences are minimal. Individual distros write very little of their own software. Usually package managers, control panel/system settings and the like. Some of the larger/more ambitious distros will do more like Mint's Cinnamon desktop or Solus's Budgie. But the vast majority software comes from independant upstream developers.  

News Comments > SteamOS Street Fighter V in Spring
2. Re: SteamOS Street Fighter V in Spring Feb 15, 2016, 13:42 LC

Big Picture mode is the only advantage I can see. About all distros have the Steam client in their repos.

Ha! You can tell I don't use Steam. Looks BP mode is available with the regular client so no advantage I can see.

When it was coming out didn't Valve claim they made performance enhancing tweaks to the kernel and OpenGL? The independant benchmarks I've seen don't show any noticeable performance improvement over a 'normal' Linux install. For what it's worth the one benchmark I've seen comparing desktop to Big Picture showed only 1-3 fps drop for running in BP mode. So I suppose that's a big plus if you want the Big Picture mode.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2016, 13:53.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 14, 2016, 14:41 LC

Re: Windows 10. What that article leaves out, that others haven't, is that disabling the telemetry in Enterprise also disables Windows Update, Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool. Kinda almost like MS doesn't want you to turn it off.  

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 10, 2016, 16:52 LC

NetHead wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 15:52:
Trusting a site and trusting a 3rd party ad company are worlds apart, even before considering security risks which increase beyond massively.

Exactly. It wasn't that long ago that weather.com(Weather Channel), drudgereport and several other decent sized 'reputable' sites were serving up malware thanks to one ad company's mistake.

I suspect we'll be seeing more websites doing something similar this year. I'm expecting ArsTechnica to do something similar in the near future.

Oh well. More oppurtunities to test out the anti-adblocker filter in uBlock Origin. I can get past Forbes just hardly ever go there. Be interesting to see if some sort of adblocker 'arms race' develops.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
1. Re: Saturday Previews Feb 7, 2016, 14:30 LC

Blues was this some sort of secret message or commentary? The Christ Roberts thing caught my eye but then I noticed if read top to bottom and left to right its: Christ Roberts Centered Space Gamer Industries.
Hmm...

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 7, 2016, 00:10 LC

Why don't they lose Flash instead? Not that it really matters. I gave up on them when they went overboard with the commercials.

Oh and Comcast is a stakeholder but supposedly they don't have any say in how the site is ran. Result of some anti-trust ruling.

News Comments > Nordic Games Acquires Imperium Galactica & More IPs
7. Re: Nordic Games Acquires Imperium Galactica & More IPs Feb 3, 2016, 01:37 LC

Nordic also picked up Jagged Alliance in August 2015.

Do we have a new Kalypso Media on the horizon?

2. Re: Unity Jan 25, 2016, 17:27 LC

Unity is hardly the most dicisive thing going on in Linux. In fact it's a non-issue. Don't like it then just install another DE or use one of the Ubuntu community spins like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. with your DE of choice. Or simply don't use Ubuntu.

Systemd is the most disicive thing going on in Linux.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
19. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 20, 2016, 15:24 LC

I always thought the problem if anything was more one of age discrimination. A lot developers/publishers still seem to be aiming their products at teenage boys when the average age of the gaming population keeps going up.  

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
52. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 00:18 LC

NKD wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 14:02:
On a side note, who wants to do a little experiment? We note the user names in this thread who will claim to be switching to Linux, and check back with them in a year to see if they made good on that promise. Should be interesting.

I made good on my promise...a little over three years ago:) Windows 8 was enough to convince me Microsoft wasn't for me anymore.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 4, 2016, 13:36 LC

That's pretty sad a Microsoft Marketing Chief spewing FUD about their own products. Guess those numbers I've seen recently on Windows 10 adoption slowing down are accurate if they're resorting to this.

What's EOL for Windows 7 support anyway? 2017?

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2015, 16:12 LC

Well considering all the OS usage trackers I've seen put Linux desktop usage at around 1.5 to 2% I don't see those numbers getting much higher.

News Comments > Oriental Empires Announced
2. Re: Oriental Empires Announced Dec 7, 2015, 11:50 LC

Civilization: Total War?  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Nov 17, 2015, 15:25 LC

Does anyone seriously believe Interplay could have pulled off anything decent by that point? Sure it sounds good on paper but what would have came out would have most likely been a buggy, half-finished and unsupported mess.

Back in those days I used to wish for Interplay's demise in the hopes a decent developer would get the Fallout license. Still bummed about Bethseda getting it.

News Comments > Disgaea on Steam "Soon"
2. Re: Disgaea on Steam Nov 17, 2015, 15:03 LC

I wonder how well this will sell given psx2 emulators and the iso's are very easy to come by.  

News Comments > Red Baron Revival Update
1. Re: Red Baron Revival Update Sep 22, 2015, 11:10 LC

I'd like to see another Red Baron II/3D. But what put me off the first kickstarter was that the singleplayer would be set number of missions. I really want a WW1 flight sim with a dynamic campaign like RBII/3D had.  

45 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo