Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sink

Real Name Sink   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Suppa7
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2012, 04:58
Total Comments 900 (Graduate)
User ID 57312

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tim Willits Calls QUAKE Design Dispute "Silly"
5. Re: Tim Willits Calls QUAKE Design Dispute Sep 5, 2017, 11:33 Suppa7

SirKnight wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 11:17:
I fail to see how a map fragment he digs up proves him to be right in all of this. I guess in his alternative universe, it somehow does.

Oh Tim...

See here, this is why people can't take being wrong there's a science behind it:

http://bit.ly/OVMvjd

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Destiny 2 Microtransactions?
22. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 03:48 Suppa7

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 01:07:
Slightly off topic: Unreal Tournament (the new one) is still in pre-alpha, apparently.

This, right?

Unreal dev has slowed to a crawl, basically epics new f2p micro-transaction ridden game is their new baby so UT is basically sitting idle.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 23:14 Suppa7

Grokk wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 22:50:
Actually PC Gamers were screaming for digital distribution and steam delivered that.

No one was "Screaming" for digital distribution, all "digital distribution" is, is downloading game files off a website. When steam was released in 2004 it was very simple to go to game developers website and download patches/mods/etc. Steam was shit for years, it was nothing more then malware in half-life and CS that no one wanted, the entirety of steam would have never existed if we gamers were within two blocks of valve corp, aka the PC literate half of the game community would have stormed gabes offices to get that shit out of the game we bought. All these practices exist because customers need to be physically located by the business to stop such practices from forming to begin with, pre internet they had to release control of the entire the game physically if they wanted to fucking get paid. It was actually great to get fucking complete games with no drm in them and level editors and sdks, there was market pressure to actually treat your customers with respect rather than contempt because they didn't have the internet so they couldn't control the software.

It's just that as internet penetration reached critical mass the more dumb members of our species came online and we got steam, drm, mmo's, etc. Stupidity and irrationality of the human species is why modern games are so fucked up.

Gamers by and large are a dumbass bunch this is why mods and level editors have been curtailed and why bethesda is pushing paid mods, all that screams the average gamer is of low intelligence.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 21:32 Suppa7

WaltC wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 19:01:
Nah...the game publishers just want us to pay for it, is the only difference...;) Building a good game with a great, mod-friendly engine and nice modding tools-- so that people will be standing in line to buy and mod your next game, too--well, that's not good enough, anymore!

All of this happened because the videogame market is not a market. Pre internet they had toe release the entire fucking game to us. Post internet the power shifted to publishers and game software makers since they can simply bicycle chain the software to a server in their office and extract money.

As soon as people payed for mmo's - a drm'd rpg you don't control, it was over. MMO's normalized drm'd games, that was publishers and developers whole scheme, get a generation of kids who will tacitly accept said practice.

Many of these practices wouldn't exist if we were actually close enough to these companies to just walk into their office and give them shit. Steam wouldn't exist if PC gamers had been physically close to valve HQ back in 2004 when he slipped everyone the poison pill that is steam.

News Comments > High Hell Announced
10. Re: High Hell Announced Sep 4, 2017, 11:10 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 10:59:
I hate EA just as much as anyone, but you can't say with a straight face that the largest game company in the world doesn't understand games.

Yes in fact we can, they made the highest selling game in their companies history and their next game cut the sales by 50%, that means the the people in charge fucked up bad.

Need for speed carbon didn't sell anywhere near what most wanted 2005 did at all. Then we got the awful pro street next.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: LawBreakers fans on why you should play it, and what went wrong… Sep 4, 2017, 11:05 Suppa7

Prez wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 04:40:
Reading stories about how it's a "respawn and die" simulator for all but the highest skill veterans of old fashioned first person shooters flat out scared me away from it. I wasn't even that good at twitch shooters in my prime. Now that I'm approaching 50 it's of no interest at all to me.

The reality is the AAA industry is creatively bankrupt, the fact that Cliff thought he could release a twitch shooter after every PC developer abandoned the PC for console after 10+ years was a big laugh for me.

The time we might have been interested in such things was over 10 years ago and they were on their gears of war kick feeding at the trough of consoles.

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month
22. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 01:47 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 21:00:
I don't want my PC to be like an Xbox game console! That's why I'm a PC gamer.

You can thank everyone who bought everquest, wow and mmo's over the years and everyone who licked the balls of valve and gabe newell with steam.

It was over as soon as the first server locked game appeared. All the stupid bullshit exists because there is no free market in our world, in a post internet age the only way to hold a company accountable is if you meet the requirements for having a market:

1) Your customers are intelligent enough to participate
2) They are close enough to the business to effect its policies.

None of which are true.

News Comments > High Hell Announced
6. Re: High Hell Announced Sep 3, 2017, 03:58 Suppa7

Rilcon wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 00:34:
How fucking dare indy studios not have the millions of USD needed to provide up to date graphics!?

Most indie developers are hacks, let's be honest. Modern gaming is a wasteland of fake gamers who have shit taste which is how many indies survive.

The problem is developers making games for which there is no audience. Take need for speed, EA has been trying to chase most wanted 2005's 15 million in sales, and you know why they can't do that even with all that money?

They don't fucking understand games, many publishers and developers don't try to understand their customers. If they gave a fuck many of the industries worst practices wouldn't exist.

News Comments > Songbringer Released
6. Re: Songbringer Released Sep 2, 2017, 22:58 Suppa7

Nucas wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 17:05:
this was extra funny to me because you fucked up an url link in your post.

I was fully aware but it was late and I didn't care.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: LawBreakers fans on why you should play it, and what went wrong… Sep 2, 2017, 18:20 Suppa7

DangerDog wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 14:15:
I think another factor is that PC gamers are probably an older demographic and not that interested in twitch games anymore, I know I'm not.

Correct. It's not so much that we're not interested but they really have to show us something worth our time - aka not just rehashed crap with better graphics. The new UT could have been that game but they went all early access. The whole early access thing takes the surprise out of a new game being released. It's hard to get excited for a game you can play during development barring a few exceptions.

News Comments > Songbringer Released
2. Re: Songbringer Released Sep 2, 2017, 09:10 Suppa7

[url=][/url]
Jivaro wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 22:45:
which market is more over-saturated right now?

a) "Hero" shooters

b) MOBAs

c) indie retro RPG roguelikes

They are all literally blurring together for me. Someone is going to make an indie retro hero shooter MOBA roguelike with "RPG elements" soon...I can feel it...

The reality is most people are mediocre at what they do and hence most games are reflections of that.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Character and CE Unveiled
11. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Character and CE Unveiled Sep 2, 2017, 04:44 Suppa7

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 13:15:
We're living in the next golden age of RPGs, gentlemen(I'd say and ladies, but this is bluesnews). A resurgence that's probably better than the BG2 era, to be honest.

Like anything it's a mixed bag. Eye of the beholder darkmoon, lands of lore 1 and torment were the RPG's to remember back then, maybe BG2 but it's been a while since I've played it.

Pillars has better combat but worse story, even baldurs gate had a good feeling world, I found pillar story just dry there were some high points but it felt really boring overall.

News Comments > QUAKE Development History Dispute
43. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Sep 1, 2017, 10:24 Suppa7

Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 09:02:
I disliked it because I was playing Halo on the PC, and the vehicles in that were just infinitely better.

HAHA. All the vehicles except the truck in UT2004 are better than halo's. Halo's only good vehicle is the warthog. To sit and say halo had amazing vehicles outside the warthog is quite the crock of shit. UT2004 had that badass demon vehicle with huge turrets that made the halo tank look like the dinky thing it was.

Not only that there were tonnes of modded servers with different modded vehicles that you obviously never played.

27. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 18:08 Suppa7

Orogogus wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 17:26:
Weird that DOOM 3 is ranked so high in sales. I thought the general opinion of that one was solidly negative because of monster closets and flashlights.

It was an ok game but a bad doom sequel. The complaints were "this isn't doom". You can go watch an interview with doom 2016's developer here:

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoVQWnSOfM

22. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 17:24 Suppa7

SirKnight wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 17:17:
So much of this made me go WTF it's not even funny.

Edit: And by 'so much of this' I mean 100% of this...wow

I can tell you the facts and you won't reason to the right conclusion:

21. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 17:17 Suppa7

Droniac wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 17:02:
Suppa7 wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 16:21:

Are you Tim Willits?
Because that's quite an... unconventional... view of the history of FPS design.

There's nothing unconventional about it, we can look at the modding community for doom vs quake. Doom is far more remembered then quake. Quake had great modding community as well but iD software killed the quake brand with quake 4 and quake wars lets remember. Quake champions is another nail in the coffin with their f2p bullshit. Quake was about open level design and mods. Quake 2/3 were great multiplayer games no doubt about it but that was there strong point and we were the minority. UT2004 is equal to and a little above quake 3 in areas.

Not only that it's reflected in sales on steam, sorry to tell you, it's you who has a problem with FPS reality.

Quake

https://steamspy.com/search.php?s=quake+4

Doom

https://steamspy.com/search.php?s=doom+2

Doom being the older game has higher sales then the quakes. Doom was always the better property and its reflected massively in sales.

17. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Aug 31, 2017, 16:21 Suppa7

Flatline wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 15:48:
This post makes me wonder if you were gaming in the 90's. Doom and Quake's graphics were leaps forward.

They were but art direction mattered, doom's single player is still better than quakes. This is why doom has a bigger modding community, it's overall the better single player game. Quake's multiplayer is really only remembered because it was largely the only game in town that could to IP networking and was many gamers first multiplayer internet game.

Quake 1 + 2 had shitty SP campaigns, they were never good. Doom was overall the better single player experience, everyone knew quake 4 single player was a fucking disaster.

iD software always sucked at doing SP campaigns largely, they were hit and miss, guys like romero really saved doom 2, without the original team single player suffered in quake 1 and 2. Doom was the more fun game which is why it has such a huge modding community.

Quake 3 and unreal were mostly arbitarily different, and Quake 3 was finally surpassed in terms of fun by UT2004.

So UT2004 remains the high watermark of 90's fps design.

Single player first person shooter campaign design was finding its legs with FEAR and other games until the guys at infinity nailed it with Call of duty 4 and the set piece cinematic game formula was nailed down.

News Comments > Sonic Mania DRM Issues
13. Re: Sonic Mania DRM Issues Aug 31, 2017, 08:47 Suppa7

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 04:32:
Suppa7 wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 03:38:
No dumbass, you can even look at the pirate bay to see the release, any CPY release means a denuvo release. Mankind divided had denuvo and was cracked.
Which is why it says: "SKIDROW" "Looking for nothing but competition" rite? Though the 1.0 release had denuvo, and it doesn't use it now. It was also cracked in record time, don't let your own ignorance get in the way.

You're too stupid to understand how stupid you are. You do not reason and see the world as it is:

News Comments > Sonic Mania DRM Issues
11. Re: Sonic Mania DRM Issues Aug 31, 2017, 03:38 Suppa7

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 01:53:
It doen't use denuvo. It only uses the steam-drm,

No dumbass, you can even look at the pirate bay to see the release, any CPY release means a denuvo release. Mankind divided had denuvo and was cracked.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 24, 2017, 11:06 Suppa7

Man that the crossplay term even exists, we're truly in a fucking videogame idiocracy.  

900 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo