Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sink

Real Name Sink   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Suppa7
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2012, 04:58
Total Comments 959 (Graduate)
User ID 57312

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
26. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 14:30 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 10:57:
I'm not sure what you mean with "background in AAA". What's "AAA"?

"AAA" (triple A) means big budget games from big companies that people care about like say Mass effect 2 or Supreme commander. When the whole crowdfunding thing took off, anyone with any idea of how much game development costs have increased from the 90's into the 2000's and the huge problems developers had transitioning from small teams to teams of hundreds which caused a lot of cock-ups in games released during those periods knew to be massively skeptical. Because they were in the know of how hard it is to make games and the bigger the scope of the game the higher the risk of disaster, more people, more more work, points of failure, etc.

The further you go back in time the less work a typical videogame was to produce in that it was more manageable in terms of man hours/talent to produce focused serious games. This means while many uglier (by modern standards) games during the 90's got produced, they also had a tendency to be more focused and less disaster prone because the time to make models/artwork/etc was not as time consuming. This lead to a cottage industry of gamers/amateurs modding games during gamings golden years during the 90's. Things that have been severely curtailed post in the post 2000 era as developers shifted to locked down platforms like consoles for easy $ for the new kiddies growing up.

For those of us who follow or work in the game industry we have a good idea of what making certain kinds of games cost and being able to predict whether a game will be good or not before development even starts by looking at who's involved and the budget.

Whether a game is good or not has a lot do with the team size, the scope of the game and the time available for the team to actually make the thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced
14. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced Jan 27, 2016, 02:29 Suppa7

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 18:15:
I agree, but Devastation visually nailed the cartoon, but had no desire to play it after watching some gameplay videos.

Tragically the gameplay isn't deep enough, it's basically a really cut down version of bayonetta's combat system dressed up with transformers graphics.

Overall the levels were too uninspired and many design decisions were pretty bizarre to say the least. The story just had to be the worst, Fall of cybertron did an amazing job at world building... and making the game feel like a loving homage to the cartoon. Devastation has none of that love tragically.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
16. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 02:10 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 00:58:
I'm done with crowdfunding and early access. Battletech is going to be the last crowdfunded game I back. What Inxile is doing seems like a sucker punch to those who backed high amounts for early access Alphas and Betas.

Not really, the reality is they will try to get as much money as possible because making AAA games on shoestring budgets is really what has been causing the kickstarter disasters. The reason things like planetary annihilation and others were so controversially fucked up is that it didn't take in enough money to make the thing.

Anyone with any background in AAA knew kickstarter/crowdfunding is simply not giving enough to fund the games.

The reality is game developers know gamers are stupid and easily exploitable, the rise of MMO's, steam and F2p is a case in point. The reality is most gamers are so passive and eager to get a game they will take anything up the ass from the corporate world.

5. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced Jan 26, 2016, 12:39 Suppa7

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 11:43:
Sorta surprised they didn't give it the Cartoon look like the last Transformers game, but pleasantly surprised/glad they didn't.

The transformers game that copied the 80's cell shaded style jarred with the conventional game background to a huge extent.

The first two transformers games, war for cybertron and fall of cybertron were overall superior. Fall of cybertron being the best.

4. Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan Announced Jan 26, 2016, 12:36 Suppa7

personman145 wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 10:33:
I don't care for the cartoony look, but the gameplay looks like it could be good fun.

Well considering most TMNT games have their origin in the cartoons. The popular heights of which were the TMNT arcade games during the 90's. No one should be surprised at the cell shading really.

TMNT Arcade pic

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Jan 26, 2016, 10:45 Suppa7

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 19:58:
TotalBiscuit says everyone makes him miserable. Not a big surprise. RIP

The internet gathers all the stupid from across the planet, no one should be surprised the internet is little better than a glorified public toilet.

News Comments > Over 1M Blade & Soul Players
9. Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 07:39 Suppa7

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 20:12:
I'm over here wondering what a new MMO could do to totally shake up the industry and captivate people like how we first felt.

Not going to happen. That "first feeling" is unique to a generation of people who grow up to that kind of game. The feelings of excitement you get all depends on where you are born into gaming history and what games you first experienced.

Just like I'm not going to relive my experience the first time I played super mario world on the SNES.

As someone who grew up from the near the very beginning of videogames, I was never impressed with MMO's because I knew they were DRM'd multiplayer RPG's. RPG's in general are too much of a niche genre for the casual mmo player who is very bad at videogames. The reason why MMO's suck is because of the audience itself. Videogame developers know the average gamer just sucks hardcore at videogames generally regardless of genre. This is why the trend to dumb down games got stronger from post 2000 onward.

MMO's generally are the ultimate reflection of the dumbing down of videogames.

News Comments > Free League of Legends Bundle
10. Re: Free League of Legends Bundle Jan 24, 2016, 08:33 Suppa7

Jerykk wrote on Jan 24, 2016, 05:47:
It sounds like you don't actually play LoL (or MOBAs in general). DotA, the originator of MOBAs, had one map. One map is standard for MOBAs. LoL actually has four maps (each representing a different game mode) but Summoner's Rift is by far the most popular.

Dude your whole post proved my point, the game has been out 5 years going now and nothing truly new and groundbreaking has been added.

Yes I've played moba's and there forbears I was there when LoL was little more then a glorified warcraft 3 mod.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2016, 08:45.

News Comments > Free League of Legends Bundle
7. Re: Free League of Legends Bundle Jan 24, 2016, 00:41 Suppa7

Yifes wrote on Jan 23, 2016, 23:45:
Every time I stop playing for a few months and come back, the game feels almost like a new game.

If you believe this you aren't very bright. League of legends has less content then games over 10 years old. It's the biggest scam in gaming, I've wondered where this game could have been if it was opened up to the public to mod. The heroes are usually just reskins/skill swaps with some stat modifying. It has way less maps than many games that came before it. The same maps are played over and over again.

News Comments > Evochron Legacy Launches
2. Re: Evochron Legacy Launches Jan 20, 2016, 22:42 Suppa7

Too bad this game is not fun. I'll take freespace 2 anyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ

News Comments > Blade & Soul Launches
18. Re: Blade & Soul Launches Jan 20, 2016, 02:45 Suppa7

Another shitty MMO...  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
11. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 18, 2016, 23:43 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2016, 18:53:
It's the textbook example of the phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

The whole quote is a bit of bullshit, the road to hell is paved with ignorance. AKA its not good intentions, it's the not knowing the outcomes. This is what I hate about common quotes and sayings that seem like wisdom, they aren't. So it's really ignorance about consequences regardless if your intention is good or not.

News Comments > Heavy Gear Assault Production "Restructured"
7. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Production Jan 15, 2016, 22:22 Suppa7

NKD wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 15:52:
Literally who

You would have had to be a PC gamer in the 90's, the doom/quake era with a taste for mech games to understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Gear_(video_game)

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 14:07 Suppa7

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 13:15:
Games are better and cheaper today,

You're delusional if you believe this, graphics are better no doubt, but that is technologically inevitable. There are plenty of things that were better from that era. When's the last time a modern AAA game released its source code? When's the last time we got dedicated servers that weren't walled garden/steam controlled?

I'm sorry to tell you but things have gone in a much more locked down direction, anyone who denies it is just incapable of accepting that truth.

News Comments > New Brutal Doom
15. Re: New Brutal Doom Jan 3, 2016, 13:13 Suppa7

MisterBenn wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 12:55:
What a blast it is though. There's some nostalgia in there of course,

It's not just nostalgia, mechanically many early games were gameplay oriented, aka skill based in the way projectiles worked so that there was a highly visceral and exciting feel to dodging and movement because you were rewarded for dodging incoming shots.

Many early games used "movement as defense" that is why we remember them fondly.

http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Jan 3, 2016, 13:04 Suppa7

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 3, 2016, 12:09:
It seems we are polluted by a group that isn't honest with us, who wants DRM free games, so they can pirate them without any issues for $0.

It seems we have a new kid who didn't grow up in the 90's or is lacking some serious brainpower. Games have radically changed since how they were released in the 90's with open access, editors and mod tools. Everything has steam crapware integration, dedicated server code is now never released and locked down on the other side of the internet for most games. We have walled garden gaming for a lot of games and that is what drives the DRM free crowd. Most games are released half arse, imperfect and imcomplete even good games. The whole point of mods/level editing/dedicated servers is to give games a long shelf life after purchase. Companies don't want that, they want total control and to pump and dump the masses with unfinished / poorly ported goods.

We still get 'bad ports' after decades of complaints, so gamers complaints stand because the free market is a fantasy.

In order to have a valid market for any item, your customers have to be 1) intelligent 2) informed 3) ethical enough to punish companies.

We have none of that in videogameland, we have cretinous overgrown children at subhuman levels of intelligence who feed the DRM beast because they stupid, tech illiterate and impulsive.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans
16. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans Jan 1, 2016, 19:11 Suppa7

Pigeon wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 12:20:
All that is why I was so disappointed with the FF6 re-release, because they could have done a much better job putting a bit more polish on an already good game. Instead they they slapped some lipstick on it and sent it to turn tricks on the street corner.

I feel ya on the cash ins, I'd really love a re-imagining of FF1, not a literal by the numbers remake where everything is the same as with the current remakes. Keep the backbone intact, major characters, but flesh them out, add new things, add more meat. FF1 was so bare bones, I'd like to see where someone really talented could take it by infusing entirely new elements into it from scratch.

FF1 I thought had really interesting art direction considering the limited NES pallete. The four fiends, the iconic boss chaos, and some pretty iconic monsters all around.

15. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans Jan 1, 2016, 12:29 Suppa7

Brumbek wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 03:40:
Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 15:16:
I always found 9 to be just okay. I played through it twice, I believe, and there are some very fun moments in it, but overall the story is kinda "eh", and the characters aren't as great.

Agree with you about FF9. I know a few people who say it's their favorite Final Fantasy, but it was just so generic. I played it at release back in the day, and it was decent but it was a huge step backwards from the relatively nuanced and mature storytelling of FF7 and FF8. Although FF9 did have some amazing music (not the Melodies of Life trash), so there's that.

FF9 the themes/art/story was all over the map, but the combat was decent. That's why people downplay FF9, it's because it really is a thrown together game with elements that don't mix well with one another. I usually only care about the interactive parts, I'm not much for story in the later FF's. I liked the old medieval FF1 type of stories, I wasn't really enthused by the mix of tech and magic as the series went on.

13. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans Jan 1, 2016, 11:21 Suppa7

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 15:23:
Whenever I hear anyone talk about great FF games, it is 3(6) and 7.

Contrary to popular belief, most of them were just "meh".

A much more likely explanation is that the games were good at the time but have either stagnated or have been superceded, aka no one knows what direction to take the genre in so it becomes uninspired retreads until the next game design genius shows up.

You could say that about most games, your perception of games change as you age and as you play more games and have time to reflect back on the experience. The more games you've played the harder it is to impress you and the more critical you become.

3. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX PC Plans Dec 31, 2015, 14:55 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2015, 12:52:
Is this just another attempt at milking the back catalog, or is this a good game? After playing 7 on PC (which I really liked at the time) I watched a friend play 8 on console and was much less impressed. And Square seems to be doing this for a lot of their old FF games. I'm probably getting too old for JPRGs anyway.

If you're looking at playing JRPG's I'd avoid the genre mostly, the genre really hasn't changed much. I'd rather you pick up used console JRPG's, like tales of symphonia or the original fire emblem for the gamecube. Or better yet emulators.

FF to me has been all over the map in quality post FF7. FF7 was good at the time it released but hasn't aged very well given advances. If I were to recommend any FF it would be 7, 9 and you could skip all the others. But generally back when JRPG's started with games like the original FF1 for the NES they never figured out how to expand the battle system and keep it interesting from game to game and FF has just been mostly retreading ground or borrowing absolutely shitty autocombat systems from mmo's like in FF12.

There are good JRPG's out there, it's best to pick up the older classics used for consoles and then run them natively or on emulators.. The reality is there has been no innovation in JRPG's. I'm one of those people that replays FF1 on a regular basis because its one of the few JRPG's that distill the game down to the basics and none of the fluff gets in the way. I've been thinking a long time about the decline of many genres and it has to do with the lack of imagination and any understanding of what makes a game interesting to play and make fun, game companies have been coasting on easy street since the rise of 3D acellerators using hollywood to cover up the lack of game systems.

I'd recommend something like FF tactics if what draws you to JRPG's are battle systems.

959 Comments. 48 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo