Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sink

Real Name Sink   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Suppa7
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2012, 04:58
Total Comments 693 (Apprentice)
User ID 57312

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
52. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 18:46 Suppa7

Beamer wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 16:54:
I feel like the overall attitude of gamers is to talk about how terrible everything is, then rush to the next big shiny thing, overhype it in their mind, then complain when it doesn't live up to the hype, then talk about how everything sucks again.

And, when it's a bunch of teenagers on reddit, I get it. When it's a bunch of 30 and 40 year olds here, I get it less. And I am by no means saying most people here do that, but a small group of very loud ones. Most here are talking about liking the game and having productive discussion. A small few are talking about being burned and how all AAA games suddenly are terrible.

At some point, I feel like you can take responsibility for your own fun in the hobby.

Gamers are not a monolithic group, I held out on not buying any steamworks games for 8 years but the reality is kids and people born yesterday don't know about the criminal nature of the videogame industry. AKAt he rise of mmo's and "software as a service" (software as a scam).

The reality is the free market can only work when you are two blocks away from the bastards selling you things, at a distance most people will cave. It's the distance that disempowers us to effect change of the corproations, if we all lived two blocks away from game companies they would have to deal with angry people that could phsyically find them and be present whenever they tried to pull stupid shit.

Transportation and modern technology fundamentally break human relations in the ability to keep the other party honest, the human mind was simply not meant to work in a large scale society with billions of people. It's just that evolution did not build our minds for this environment.

There is no "Freedom" people don't "make decisions" they rationalise their behaviour, our behaviour is actually driven by unconscious biological processes we are only now beginning to understand.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2016, 13:36 Suppa7

Quboid wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:53:
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:26:
Uh 4th Amendment anyone? I never understand how these agencies can just do stuff like this and not get smacked down immediately for it.

They just cry terrorism and impressionable people will happy give up their freedom and principles. I take it you've seen the sort of person - particularly in this US election - who wants to deny people their freedom of religion (or even deny people of other religions their lives) all in the name of freedom and "live and let live [by my rules]". The "You're not allowed to believe that because forcing your values on me is a serious problem" crowd. Awful hypocrites.

Except religion is false, our world works on the laws of nature not bronze age superstitions. Perhaps you should look at the history of religious violence before you open your ignorant mouth.

People used to believe demons caused all sorts of things and then we figured out the germ theory of disease. Science and the laws of nature have a great track record of making the world a better place, religion doesn't.

I don't want to go back to a world where people believe in this:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matt.8%3A30-35&version=NIV

We have rich fuckers like the koch brothers pushing anti science views, sorry to tell you but science is how our universe works, when the sun starts running out of fuel are we going to all pray to the lord and hope he saves us or are we going to use physics to advance our technology to enable our long term survival in the universe?

Sorry to tell you but reality has rules that lead to certain values that are inherently superior because their ultimate foundation is our long term intelligent survival in this universe.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 24, 2016, 02:03 Suppa7

Saboth wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 21:29:
The Gawker situation was deplorable. I visit a lot of progressive blogs, and it was shocking how many people considered it to be only a nasty gossip blog. True, it did have stories like that, and the readership was really upset at the Hogan and Thiel stories when they were published. However, Hogan getting 140 million was probably one of the worst judgements I've heard of. True, his career was harmed because the spotlight was shone on him, but that wasn't because of the sex tape. He fell out of favor due to his racist rants that became public. That's when he was dropped and no one would touch him with a 10 foot pole. The fact a millionaire or even a group of millionaires can come together to put a news organization out of business with frivolous lawsuits should be frightening to everyone.

That's the nature of capitalist society, once you acccept an ideology where a tiny minority of people can have all the money in society and believe they "earned" it legitimately it's game over.

The reality is if you are for massive economic inequality what you see is inevitable.

News Comments > Master of Orion This Month
3. Re: Master of Orion This Month Aug 11, 2016, 13:07 Suppa7

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 09:59:
So you're charging me part of the price for part of the game. I guess that's useful if I'm not sure if I'll like it. But it still seems shady...

If you're just clueing in the game industry is shady newsflash it began with mmo's.

News Comments > PC DOOM Sells 1M
35. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 05:27 Suppa7

NetHead wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 21:32:
So then the question is "why". Why would Bethesda do that to a game, do more work to have poorer, "dumbed down" modding support. Nevermind how the Doom franchise is arguably legendary for modding support in some ways, people are still making things for the originals today. Begging a further question of, so of all the franchises why this one.

Man you are one deluded soul, note that the tools they used to make the game doom they already have and are infinitely better then snap map will ever be yet they didn't release them. They purposely made a gimped level editor for a PC audience... thats bs. Mods for consoles? WTF they want to create a "platform" for micro-transaction money and people to sell mods... that's horrible because 99% of mods aren't worth anything. They see how stupid the average gamer is - remember bethesda was behind horse armor lets not forget...

So bethesda are not the good guys, they hate free mods and are mad they aren't getting a "cut" of money they believe should be theirs off other peoples work.

Did you see what cut modders got? It was like something below 30%, while steam and bethesda took the lions share for doing nothing. That's why everyone was angry about bethesda's paid mods... they are just another shitty game company.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2915639/steam-kills-off-controversial-paid-mods-feature.html

34. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 05:22 Suppa7

Mystiq wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 19:30:
What? Overwatch sold incredibly well. Diablo 3 sold well, even after the garbage with Vanilla. Their games are doing well.

Which doesn't mean much because a good chunk of blizzards audience is under 22 or wouldn't know of games like doom, quake, or duke nukem 3d. AKA they didn't game on PC's in the 90's they think pc gaming = steam. If you don't remember the pre-steam era you really can't comment on modern gaming at all without massive distortions.

Many people bought diablo 3 based on the track record with diablo 2, it also helped that diablo 3 had always online drm in it. So of course its going to sell - its a sequel to one of the biggest propreties in gaming that took over a decade to release a sequel... so everyone should have expected diablo 3 to sell.

There's an entire new generation of gamers who have no memory of the past so blizzard is just selling to that crowd of easy money there are plenty of countries that couldn't afford videogames until just recently so the market has grown in size since ye old days, so new generations of gamers + expanding market can give you 'success' simply because theres a bunch of fresh new minds without hardly any gaming experience, so new games which are mediocre young kids will think are amazing.

That's normal and they can have fun and have their opinions but they really can't judge a game properties quality if they didn't grow up with it because they lack the perspective.

33. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 11, 2016, 05:15 Suppa7

NetHead wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 21:32:
I just want to point out that Bethesda, if they so desired, could have allowed modding/level creation etc while having Denuvo/DRM. The DRM isn't preventing that so much as Bethesda may be using it to help prevent it, if you see what I mean. Not that I am in any way defending or encouraging DRM.

Sorry to tell you but denuvo requires server authentication. The reason level editor isn't released is because companies want to sell you dlc/season passes/microtransaction nonsense and have you over a barrel. Denuvo prevents people from modding the game unofficially because the game is encrypted. There are all sorts of unoffical mods for games that don't have official modding ability denuvo certainly prevents that I'm sorry to tell ya.

Note that there were unofficial editors for many older pc games that were made by the community, denuvo certainly prevents that. Diablo had a bunch of unoffical mods when it came with no level editor lets remember.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2016, 05:24.

27. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 18:18 Suppa7

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 14:05:
Meh, not really comparable IMO.
- Doom is a console port, D3 was PC only.
- Doom is an FPS, of which we get many every year. D3 is an action RPG, of which we had gotten very few in the years before D3 was released.
- Blizzard is a company at the peak of its game. iD is a shadow of its former self.

Almost everything you posted is misinformaiton, the original doom sold via shareware with no marketing and made people like JC rich very quickly. It spread by word of mouth and caught fire. Doom 2016 hasn't done anything like that.

Blizzard is NOT at the peak of its game, it's surviving off generational turnover, WoW is not a good game, neither is starcraft 2, neither is diablo 3. All the big sequels were big let downs. Diablo 3 has drm in it and the story/universe is fucked up beyond all repair compared to diablo 1 and 2. The same thing happend to SC2's story, the universe doesn't even feel the same. It's some alternate universe. Starcraft 1 and BW were pushing the envelope of RTS, the rise of korean e-sports fandom fucked up starcraft 2 big time. You can search game development conference video on youtube where they talk about how they wanted to design starcraft 2 to be an e-sport because they saw all that money they weren't making in korea... I'm kinda SC2 "bombed" as an e-sport compared to moba's because the designers can't fix the old modly RTS formula because of competitive e-sports players are super conservative and holding onto many bad elements of RTS... like the poor interface and the sheer lack of depth... RTS is still largely about APM and racing to get ahead in resources/expansion it's still fundamentally a race /w little strategy.

Blizzard is surviving off sheer fandom at this point and a new generation of gamers who never played the original games and hence have no memory of the past and hence their brains are overvaluing what blizzard is producing by a large margin.

The same thing just happened with overwatch.

26. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 15:54 Suppa7

The Magician wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 15:17:
But how much playtime does anyone have on it?

I've finished it, it's not worth full price you can wait. The single player just isn't anything we've haven't seen before and you'll get bored. The game uses the same game design throughout, its pretty much Doom 3 but with small arenas and resting periods repated over and over, it's not anywhere near doom1/2 levels of creativity.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2016, 16:29.

4. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 10:15 Suppa7

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 09:36:
I'm honestly surprised it's not higher. It was a fun game, and seemed to have good word of mouth as well...

The lack of a real level editor, half baked multiplayer and the fact that the game files are encrypted using denuvo (aka making modding difficult to impossible) is why interest waned. The original Doom sold on word of mouth and also because you could easily modify the wads and share levels and add new stuff.

It's a far cry from what game companies do today, the money men basically don't get what doom or PC gaming were about during that era and the drm, shitty half baked snap map which has no real powerful editor basically killed a lot of sales.

After 20 years most of us were looking forward to user moddified levels to freely share, a real level editor and multiplayer that wasn't balls. Without a real level editor and ability to mod the game the multiplayer simply has no legs.

3. Re: PC DOOM Sells 1M Aug 10, 2016, 10:02 Suppa7

Kajetan wrote on Aug 10, 2016, 09:33:
Is that good for the reboot of THE Most iconical shooter of all times? Or dissapointing?

Rage has over a million, Black Ops has 3.4 mio., Wolfenstein New Order 1.2 mio., the Bioshocks (none under 3 Mio.).

Disappointing, the real problem was doom as a property was allowed to sit for too long. Basically single player games like half-life, fear, battlefield and call of duty exceeded iD when it came to single player portion of the game - iD never got the importance of set piece cinematic elements for single player that came to dominate all first person shooters.

Doom 1/2 was great single player years ago... but single player campaigns moved on to expensive hollywood set pieces. The game industry figured out they could amp up the excitement factor by using hollywood techniques that iD never mastered nor understood.

When doom 3 came out it wasn't really a proper doom sequel in the tradition of lots of overwhelming enemies and fast in your face action. Doom 3 didn't really feel like doom at all, the realism really killed the game IMHO. Doom had it's own unique artistic semi-cartoony style that was totally absent from doom 3 in the quest towards realistic graphics.

Doom 3 IMHO really showed id didn't understand doom as a property/franchise, doom 1/2 were originally about over the top balls to wall monsters everywhere at high speed. Doom 3 slowed down the game considerably and tried to turn it into a slow corridor shooter with horror elements, the concept of "monster closets" was coined because thats what doom 3 realy was, the monsters were "hiding" inside level geometry/closets you couldn't access until you it invisible trigger to make the lights go out and have them come out. That cheap trick to make people scared got old fast because they severely overused it.

Doom 3 was what really killed interest in doom as a franchise, doom 3 did something like 3.5 million total over its entire lifetime, which is pretty fucking shitty. It simply wasn't as fun as doom 1/2 and iD proved that they had no fucking clue that multiplayer was a big component of doom 2, aka the high speed lands many of us used to play on and what we got doom 2 for.

The new doom people were hoping to get real level editor/modding tools with the game but because it uses denuvo drm basically bethesda fucked over doom because it wanted to encrypt the game and make it very difficult to pirate... to do that they can't have easy moddability like in the doom/quake/unreal tournament days, all this drm shit is basically killing what made doom great.

The game industry is pushing to sandbox and encyrypt single player games in order to extract maximum revenue, I'm kind of glad doom hasn't sold a lot.

To put things in perspective, Diablo 3 sold more (3.5 million) in 24 hours then doom has sold in 3 months.

Diablo 3 - 24 hours --> 3.5 million copies sold
Doom 2016 - 3 months --> 1.0 million copies sold.

That's terrible.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2016, 10:11.

News Comments > DOOM Score Attack Plans
1. Re: DOOM Score Attack Plans Aug 6, 2016, 11:49 Suppa7

Too bad there's no real level editor or sdk... this tacky stuff they are adding that most likely could be done infinitely better by the community /w tools.  

News Comments > Quake Champions Gameplay Trailer
11. Re: Quake Champions Gameplay Trailer Aug 5, 2016, 06:27 Suppa7

NotOneOfUs wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 22:52:
Perhaps my memory of Quake 3 has it faster than it really is? I relatively recently played some of the original Unreal Tournament and was quite shocked how much slower it was to my memory

Doom and quake are still high speed, you need to play a reasonably small level, go load up quake - proving grounds, 1v1. The sense of speed is just how I remember it.

News Comments > Quake Champions Gameplay Trailer
9. Re: Quake Champions Gameplay Trailer Aug 5, 2016, 00:30 Suppa7

Looks like crap... sorry to say. Back when quake/doom/etc were released they were pushing the envelope. Then fps games backslid and focused on cinematic set pieces for more then a decade. FPS gameplay has stagnated, reaching it's pinnacle in UT2004.

This doesn't look interesting.

When quake live was announced I thought it was going to be a real quake 3 arena sequel but we got repackaged quake 3.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
211. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 30, 2016, 20:34 Suppa7

Razumen wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 20:25:
Steam is a platform you dolt, there are tons of games on it that do not use its DRM at all,

Except the games people care about have massive fucktonnes of DRM (aka AAA games). Any F2P/MMO is A DRM'd game by the way, it's not it's own genre, its not a fucking platform. It's MARKETING SPEAK to allow corporations to infringe on your right to own, control and modify the software you buy. They want to transform the relationship of gamers experience of software as something controlled by the end user to something increasingly centralised in the hands of big business and developers.

News Comments > PC Disney Infinity to Cease Working
10. Re: Into the Black Jul 30, 2016, 04:02 Suppa7

Slashman wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 23:28:
It mostly has to do with pointless overreaction. If you've opted out of playing MMOs (I know I have), then what do you really care about here?

This is a freaking luxury entertainment product we're talking about, not food, water and clothing.

MMO's were the original online DRM, aka those gamers who knew not to pay for a game you didn't control and could be taken away from you. The problem is "MMO" is marketing speak for a piece of software whos multiplayer code has been taken hostage on the other side of the internet. Notice that games like neverwinter nights, dungeon siege - rpg's with multiplayer disappears with the rise of drm'd rpg's like Guild wars, World of warcraft and EQ because the average rpg player is so fucking moronic, thereby paving the way for acceptance of software you dont control.

The fact that world of warcraft servers have been recreated is proof positive that game companies are giving players 98% of the game with a tiny bit of server code that allows them to keep control over the game.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11444122

Why get annoyed? Because this cancer has infected all of gaming. Starcraft 2 and diablo 3 have fucking online drm them and LAN removed, why the fuck would anyone with half a brain who gamed during the 90's not be annoyed at shit getting confiscated in agame they are paying good fucking money for?

5. Re: Into the Black Jul 29, 2016, 23:16 Suppa7

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 22:29:
If the hobby of gaming drives you to a maddening rage on a daily basis it's time to find a new hobby.

Has nothing to do with gaming, has everything to do with political and historical trends that people like you are blissfully ignorant of.

3. Re: PC Disney Infinity to Cease Working Jul 29, 2016, 20:35 Suppa7

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 19:54:
And this is why "software as a service" is anti-consumer at its very core. Yet no one gets very worked up about it anymore...

Because the theory behind keeping businesses honest doesn't work at scale, aka online drm would not be a thing if we were two blocks away from game companies. Physical proximity of customer to the busines is everything in keeping businesses honest. Without that they just do what they want no matter how fraudulent or corrupt.

2. Re: PC Disney Infinity to Cease Working Jul 29, 2016, 19:58 Suppa7

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 19:54:
And this is why "software as a service" is anti-consumer at its very core. Yet no one gets very worked up about it anymore...

MMO's were the original "Software as a service" let's remember, and there are a lot of EQ, ultima online and wow retards that enabled drm.

Let's remember MMO' is marketing speak and business propagnada, there's no logical reason players can't run "private" mmo servers. So let's remember, this started with the average mmo rpg player showing the game industry how dumb the average rpg gamer really is that spread like cancer to the rest of the industry.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11444122

It's not that people are not annoyed by it, many are, the problem is business only has to wait for a new generation of children who grow up with it and are ignorant of what has happened.

The real problem is people who grew up and emotionally connected to wow, ultima, EQ or any other "online game" are gullible and emotionally driven they pretty much greenlighted steam, drm, microstranscations and online drm.

Hell world of warcraft players are so stupid they will pay money for in game items via blizzards on store for pets and stupid shit for a game the never own, world of warcraft is proof humanity generally are fucking morons.

News Comments > DOOM Patch, DLC, and Double XP Plans
9. Re: DOOM Patch, DLC, and Double XP Plans Jul 29, 2016, 02:52 Suppa7

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 18:51:
Milking your player base for DLC money is getting ridiculous in the gaming industry.

Unfortunately your comment says something about the average gamer, and it isn't nice.

693 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo