Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2012, 18:37
Total Comments 262 (Amateur)
User ID 57305

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Stadia Launch Follow-ups

15. Re: Stadia Launch Follow-ups Nov 20, 2019, 17:35 chickenboo

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 16:14:
chickenboo wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 14:02:

Agreed, despite all the corporate white-washing about enabling new generations of non-console-owning yet-to-be-gamers, a cynical take could certainly see Google's move as an attempt at monopolizing the place where people play games, just as YouTube is the defacto place where people watch online videos.
It's obvious that Google looks at Stadia the same way they look at Youtube... it's just a vessel for consuming media while running deep learning algorithms around our behaviors. Once these companies own the channels to play games, they will have a bigger influence in how and what games will be made- and they will be made to manipulate us. That's a terrible future that will pretty much ensure that I won't be playing AAA games.

Honestly it scares me a bit too. Once game streaming becomes commonplace, game development may soon change to appease "per-minute engagement" and to maximize engagement via button presses or eye-tracking or ad-engagement or some other measure. Instead of AAA games being made out of passion and drive to create a great work of art/gameplay, they will be designed around specific engagement criteria to maximize the player base. That's already more or less the case but with Google at the helm, it could send the industry in that direction permanently. That PCGamer article from a few days ago - [url=]https://www.pcgamer.com/what-happens-if-stadia-wins/[/url] - has some of the implications.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Stadia Launch Follow-ups

10. Re: Stadia Launch Follow-ups Nov 20, 2019, 14:02 chickenboo

mxmissile wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 13:16:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 20, 2019, 12:56:
"Need to pivot, even if it means losing some of the biggest AAA games"

The only benefit I see with this service is the ability to play AAA games on a Chromebook. Why would I use this service for indie games that could run on a Samsung toaster? The qhole idea of streaming games can't die fast enough. It's just a play to hold the gaming industry hostage to a select few companies acting in bad faith.

Huge +1, Like or whatever for this.

Agreed, despite all the corporate white-washing about enabling new generations of non-console-owning yet-to-be-gamers, a cynical take could certainly see Google's move as an attempt at monopolizing the place where people play games, just as YouTube is the defacto place where people watch online videos.

News Comments > Google Stadia Launches

14. Re: Google Stadia Launches Nov 19, 2019, 16:24 chickenboo

Bumpy wrote on Nov 19, 2019, 12:48:
I don't get why Google even attempted this.

Surely their tech and R&D people knew it wouldn't work.

Because there is untold user data to be siphoned off from it. Think of all the data points they could use to help marketers target ads to you. Soon enough Google will be offering an free+ad-supported service option and you'll just have to sit through 5 minute of ads once an hour to play for free (or something similar). And if Google is first-mover -- they're not, nvidia/Sony/Xbox exist -- they stand to reap the largest rewards (again, in user data).

News Comments > Steam Cloud Gaming Plans?

20. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 7, 2019, 13:53 chickenboo

Verno wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 13:44:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 02:50:
If Steam lets me stream games that I own to my phone, that would be awesome. I would love to be able to play Into the Breach streaming on my phone.

I don't know, phone controls suck and pairing a gamepad with a phone just makes me want the full experience without the smaller screen. But to each his own I guess.

I already stream Into The Breach from my home PC to my phone. The game already has a dedicated touchscreen config (set up by Valve or Subset, I'm not sure), but it's basically set up as a cursor you can move around the screen. The only thing missing would be a dedicated "cancel moves" button. This could easily be added via the touch screen control config button. Also, the game streams really nicely since it's turn-based. All this new service would do is allow you to stream it from their servers rather than your PC at home...

News Comments > Steam Cloud Gaming Plans?

1. Re: Steam Cloud Gaming Plans? Nov 6, 2019, 11:43 chickenboo

Cloud gaming is inevitable. Steam's ace in the hole here is Workshop support. While Workshop isn't as supported or expansive as NexusMods, you could still be streaming a fully-modded copy of Skyrim (courtesy of the Workshop) from a Steam server. That would be pretty cool.

Hopefully as the next step, someone creates a service which partners with a bunch of sites (like GoG) to grab installers from. Games you own on the partner services could be installed to your server space and streamed. They could grant access to the install folders and allow edits to ini files, uploading of mods, etc too. Naturally there would have to be restrictions to prevent abuse, but if we're going to go this way anyways and stream our games from a server, why not go the next step and offer a DIY streaming service from the same servers, just with the additional step to support user modding? Heck one of the first things I do after installing a game is to delete all those darn startup video .bik files

News Comments > Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only

79. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 5, 2019, 13:26 chickenboo

phinn wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 11:23:
Is Overwatch online-only?

Of course, not to be rude what year do you think this is? Everything is and should be online only these days. It's a non issue, let's move on.

Let's talk about how amazing Diablo 4 is going to be if they keep to Diablo 1's art style and music, Diablo 2's story quality and character classes, and Diablo 3's fluid gameplay, then add in much more challenge (Diablo 3 is way too easy) and pvp and you have masterpiece potential.

This exactly is what they should do! How do they not understand this? I bet more than half their team hasn't even played D1 or D2 nor do they understand what their customers even want. It's like they don't have their finger on the Action RPG pulse. Just a classic case of Tone Deaf. Management from on high breathing down the necks of the dev team and all creativity and mastership-potential is thrown out.

News Comments > Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only

78. Re: Diablo IV Confirmed as Online-Only Nov 5, 2019, 13:13 chickenboo

Meh, not interested yet. When they release a more polished gameplay trailer, I'll come around to it. I never did play Diablo 3 and I don't have any desire to either. Give me Diablo 2 Remaster or give me death!  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 5, 2019, 12:53 chickenboo

4K at Ultra: unsurprising. My RTX2060 can't handle 60fps 1080p in GTA V on full-Ultra (including Long Shadows and the like). Damn grass tanks the framerate. This article is a good reminder to dial settings back to High. Besides, Ultra typically includes AA, and you would normally disable AA when playing at 4K  

News Comments > Australian Fallout 76 Refund Fallout

15. Re: Australian Fallout 76 Refund Fallout Nov 1, 2019, 19:28 chickenboo

ventry wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 19:00:
Cutter wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 16:22:
Must be nice to have a government looking out for its citizens rights as consumers.

Why, yes.
Yes it is.
We have one of the best consumer protections there is.
We even have a "reasonable expectation of use" policy.
It is tied to recommended retail price value of object.
Say you buy a laptop for A$1500 and it comes with a 2 year warranty and it dies 2.5 or 3 years after purchase. As long as you can show you looked after said laptop (ie no dings, spillages etc.) you are entitled to make a claim for replacement under "reasonable expectation of use" policy.

now you just need to get your government to work on dropping their ridiculous face recognition bill

News Comments > Diablo IV Announced

10. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 1, 2019, 19:24 chickenboo

Flatline wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 19:13:
Meh.

Also in the gameplay trailer the dude is totally Deckard's brother I bet.

Deckard Cain's long lost brother who also happens to be aged and wise. And also happens to identify all items free of charge. "Stay a while and hear me out"

News Comments > New Steam Library Launches

41. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 16:38 chickenboo

saluk wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 16:22:
Hey valve: can you spend like a month fixing some of these years-long issues with big picture mode plzkthxbai. (Videos randomly not playing, sale notifications not having a list of the games that are part of the sale, scaling not working right on the "about this game" pop-up, the friends list scaling being completely broken since the messaging was updated...)

With you on that, I use BPM a lot with my SC as well and find those bugs really annoying. Grouped sale items won't display in the sale search; Selected context item sometimes hidden or stuck in the left navigation panel; Reviews are limited to the first 15 or so; Can't disable video auto play on store pages; BPM sometimes laggy sometimes not, and I never know for which games or when it will happen; Some games refuse to launch at all and require a chorded mouse click (steam+Rtrigger)to launch; the list goes on... None of them are so bad I won't use it, and I'm glad it's a feature of Steam, but it really needs updating and bug fixes. Valve needs to just dedicate some more staff to BPM... and tell us about SC V2.0!

News Comments > New Steam Library Launches

28. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 11:54 chickenboo

I like it, it's a nice change.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend

7. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend Oct 29, 2019, 14:08 chickenboo

I actually had fun playing this during the last free fly. Sure, it's buggy, but the technology is quite impressive. I never did an FPS mission so I might play again to experience that just to get a sense of the shooting.

I enjoyed the PU and I hope eventually the game has more interesting missions than "transport this non-descript box from location A to location B."

News Comments > Steam Halloween Sale

7. Re: Steam Halloween Sale Oct 29, 2019, 14:02 chickenboo

I picked up Devil Daggers for $2.49. Selling Steam trading cards has its perks!

Most other titles see very limited discounts. Witcher 3 is at 70% off, but GOG has been offering that discount for most of the year now. Most other titles I see offer between 15% and 40% off. I have to wonder if Valve recommended to devs/publishers to limit their discount amounts, or if the industry decided collectively to forgo 75%/90% discounts.

I want to pick up PC Building Simulator, but it's only 33% off...

if anything, digital game sales like these have only trained me to buy things when they're severely price reduced.

News Comments > Overwatch 2 Announcement at BlizzCon?

3. Re: Overwatch 2 Announcement at BlizzCon? Oct 28, 2019, 11:27 chickenboo

Seems kind of early, Overwatch came out in 2016, didn't it? I wonder if Acti-Blizz is forcing Blizzard's hand. Gotta keep those shareholders happy.

I played about 3-4 hours of Overwatch and came away not really impressed. I did like healing, but shooting was weird because every weapon has small clip sizes so you're reloading what feels like every 4 seconds or less.

News Comments > Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors

27. Re: Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors Oct 23, 2019, 13:05 chickenboo

Diablo 2 Remaster? GIMME  

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Specs and Launch Trailer

13. Re: The 60 minute playthrough killed it Oct 18, 2019, 17:05 chickenboo

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Oct 18, 2019, 15:08:
The play through that was released a several months ago showed just how dumb and boring the game will be. I will likely get it for achievements only when released on steam for a couple dollars.

Feel the same way, looks kinda boring despite the original setting. Maybe I'm tired of the comical cynicism style of humor. Anyways, waiting for full reviews.

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer

16. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Trailer Oct 17, 2019, 17:07 chickenboo

Dunkirk wrote on Oct 17, 2019, 14:10:
I couldn't even be bothered to finish the first one. For all the unmitigated hype over the thing, I found the story missions to be tedious and annoyingly Quicktime-like. Here, chase this purse thief all over town for no reason. Or, here make this shot or lasso on a dime. Oops! You suck! Try 2 or 3 or 6 times. I finally just gave up after one of the chase scenes where I didn't get the bad guys in time, and the train rolled into town. Oh, I'm sorry, Rockstar! You limited the speed of my horse arbitrarily, and put me on an invisible clock. Excellent work. I tweeted many, many of these frustrations at them.

There's a really great hunting game in there. I thoroughly enjoyed unlocking all of the outfits. Except that one time a cougar literally spawned 10 feet in front of my horse. DEAD...

Unlocking the gear, though? Yeah, right. I destroyed a controller over the second phase of the knife game. Screw that noise.

I suppose what's so unbelievably frustrating about the game to me is that you're just cruising along, minding your own business, having a good time, and then WHAM! DEAD! I guess the GTA games are like this? I wouldn't know; I never played any of them. Anyway, I'm not paying another $100 for a second version of this nonsense. I feel like Rockstar is thanking me for my money, but saying that I'm just not good enough to get the full $100 of game. Sorry. Thanks. Have a nice day.

GTA V is SO like this. You're minding your own business driving to a mission when you hit a pedestrian and a deer/squirrel/dog sees you do it and immediately you have a wanted star, then trying to evade the police you catch a second wanted star, and then you either have to die, give up, or drive all the way back to your house to wait for the stars to disappear. It's really annoying.

News Comments > Op Ed

5. Re: Op Ed Oct 11, 2019, 12:10 chickenboo

D-Rock wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 12:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2019, 11:43:
Games are not going to get smaller. news at 11

I didn't read the article. The headline was enough to turn me away. It's idiotic.

Of course games are going to get bigger. Storage will also grow in size at a similar rate. What is there to be 'scared' of?!?

I'm so tired of crappy journalism -- but I guess it's just Kotaku being Kotaku...

It's not only that, it's lazy journalism. "Oh look Reddit is complaining about RDR2's file size, sounds like a quick n easy article clickbate for me!"

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 9, 2019, 19:00 chickenboo

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 15:23:
Nullity wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 14:39:
D-Rock wrote on Oct 9, 2019, 11:19:
The current generation is a generation that is addicted to convenience.
Oh cool, I must belong to the current generation, because I guarantee you I am addicted to convenience. I have been for, oh I don't know, about five decades? The whole the 'next generation' is bad or going to ruin everything is about as old as language. Things change, always have, always will.
Yep, and anyone trying to fight it is simply baffling to me. I find it wholly incomprehensible.

Right?

While I built my current PC, I find myself spending next to no time doing any kind of debugging, error testing, or fixing it. I don't really have the time, nor the interest. The thing just works. This is a huge improvement, and shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. By not having to spend time getting viruses off my computer, or understanding which drivers are conflicting, or why some new piece of hardware isn't being recognized, I have time to do something more constructive.

Agreed. I don't even bother fiddling with overclocks anymore. Stock clocks are fine, OC brings <5% gain, why bother? On the one hand I kinda miss it but I much prefer the convenience of my system just working fine and chugging along, than constantly fiddling/monitoring temps/running benchmarks to quantify performance. Who remembers the bad old days of solving IRQ conflicts and enabling mscdex prior to playing your game? Allocating memory? Yuck!

262 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >