Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2012, 18:37
Total Comments 52 (Suspect)
User ID 57305

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud
12. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 13, 2016, 11:18 chickenboo

Honestly how many people do you think take their time to go to Steam, where they do not own the game they are reviewing, to review it for the benefit of the Steam community, which they are not part of?

It's like if you don't have a subscription to Netflix but still want to the ability to go to the Netflix website to leave movie reviews. Why would you bother?

If you didn't buy a game on Steam but got a key offsite someplace like humblebundle, you can still leave a review, it just doesn't count to the score, and your review would realistically only count for maybe 0.0005% of the total score in the end. People can still read your review. This shouldn't stop anyone from reviewing games they like other than those who want to influence the game's review score.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 13, 2016, 14:04 chickenboo

I think the record companies would like to be partners with YouTube. But its a little hard to call it a partnership when its so one-sided in terms of the negotiating leverage, he says.

This is the most ridiculous statement from the article, down at the bottom. Basically, the RIAA is unhappy if they aren't the ones with the negotiating power. The RIAA wants to be at the top of the food chain, but the distribution platform that is YouTube actually has more power than them simply due to the sheer size and volume of the videos they post and provide daily. And yet, creators and artists working for labels under the umbrella of the RIAA have been complaining for years about lack of negotiating power in the industry. The RIAA is simultaneously saying "We reserve the right to call the shots in bargaining agreements between labels, artists, and content distribution" and "We don't have enough power in negotiating with the content distributors! It's not fair! YouTube shouldn't be able to tell us what to doooooooooo!"

News Comments > Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic
27. Re: Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic Apr 5, 2016, 00:42 chickenboo

I definitely err on the side of "TF2 did this first", but I concede that is it possible that this game may in fact be good, and fun to play. From the Twitch streams I've watched, it looks slow and boring, and cliche, and uninspired. And the character designs... everyone is stereotyped, forced-comical, or coated in a thin veneer of ethnic flavor. TF2 was original in its character designs for this type of shooter, injecting personalities and banter and class synergies/rivalries. This is... it's like the designers wanted to make characters that would appeal to the typical 15 year old gamer. It's hackneyed, it's reaching, it's just so boring.

But I haven't actually played it on my system yet, and maybe once I do, I'll have a change of heart and come to like it. But right now, it looks like rubbish.

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June; Preorders Underway
11. Re: No Man's Sky in June; Preorders Underway Mar 3, 2016, 23:31 chickenboo

They're really appealing to the sort of, Spaceman Spiff sense of exploring uncharted planets, and I can dig that. The game DOES look a little devoid of purpose though.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
6. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 15, 2016, 22:46 chickenboo

Sadly, I expect if they make a BG3. It'll be such a gutted piece of garbage that it's only redeeming point is that it should be lit on fire.

BG2 was an absolute masterpiece of PC RPGing. Its expansion pack was also flawless and added hours upon hours of content for the game. The odds of creating a BG3 to rival BG2 are one hundred to one, or worse! I mean, it would be gutted just in comparison to the vastness of BG2's story. And then there's the D&D 2E ruleset it used, I don't know much about 5E but if it's anything like 3E which I didn't enjoy as much, I feel like the game would lack a certain depth which BG2 had in spades.

If there were a spiritual successor, it could be better. Don't create BG3, create an alternate universe BG3 which creates an homage to the classic without trying to one-up it as a direct sequel.

News Comments > Steam Lunar New Year Sale
6. Re: Steam Lunar New Year Sale Feb 6, 2016, 18:57 chickenboo

The cinematics sort of taper off mid-way through the game, because the player has the whole of Velen to explore at their leisure. Same for Skellige. I enjoy the cinematics, myself. I still haven't beaten the game and I'm really looking forward to NewGame+ and going through White Orchard again, but this time armed with all my knowledge about the game and combat skill I've gained.  

News Comments > GOG.com's Games in Development Program
14. Re: GOG.com's Games in Development Program Jan 29, 2016, 15:29 chickenboo

They have a 14-day refund policy and a roll-back feature so you can play a previous version you liked better than a newer update. Plus, no DRM to speak of! This is a good take on early access. I still won't be participating, but it's a step in the right direction for sure!  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
33. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 12, 2016, 22:21 chickenboo

Unless you are living in Japan, I'm not sure that space enters that much into the equation. Remember we are talking about "gamers" here, not casual users. So in addition to the laptop, you will most definitely at least have a mouse. So you need a desk to use it on. Or at least a flat surface of some kind. Sure you can juggle your laptop in your lap, on the sofa, but who the fuck games like that? Not people who are willing to spend thousands of bucks on top of the line gaming laptops. And once you throw the external "GPU" from the article in the mix, what you get is basically an overpriced desktop, that can serve as laptop if you want. The space you say you will end up saving comes up to diddley squat. You don't end up saving any space at all, since that external GPU is sitting somewhere where you need to plug your laptop in.

I think it's more intended that you replace your current PC's tower, with just a GPU-in-a-case. Then you have your usual desk with monitors, mice, keyboard etc, and just plug in the laptop to the core. Or carry the gpu core, laptop, and steam controller over to your living room TV and hook it up quickly and you can game on the couch, or use a Steam Link, I guess.

They still need to address the dual core CPU within the laptop itself. Also, it's $1899 in Canada for the laptop alone. Extremely overpriced...

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
16. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 12, 2016, 22:13 chickenboo

I for one won't be subscribing to this, and I hope it doesn't pave the way for publishers pulling their titles from other storefronts (eg Steam) and cordoning-off their games into their own subscription services. Imagine that Blizzard, EA, Microsoft, UbiSoft, Sony, only providing access to their games exclusively through their own storefronts or via subscription services.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 16:52 chickenboo

When I first heard about this new "Gaming Core" product from Razer, I was initially pessimistic about it. Why buy these two items when I could buy a laptop with a 970m in it so I can play Witcher 3 ANYwhere without lugging a heavy GPU chassic around with me?

Now that I've reconsidered the reason for Razer to create this product, I'm more understanding of their intent. Take my girlfriend and her family as an example. All of them have laptops as their primary computer, none of them have a desktop. My gf, her sister, her brother, and her mother all use their own macbooks. They're happy with their little macbooks, they don't connect their macbook to a larger screen, they don't usually attach peripherals. They like simplicity. And they like bringing their computer with them around the house so they can do their work in the kitchen with the family, and then carry it upstairs to their room for private Netflix time.

This is the intended use case Razer is targeting, and not specifically mac users, but today's younger consumers who don't want a computer camped at a desk, and a second laptop for lugging around, and then having to migrate files and software between each other. Razer probably figures, today's consumer wants just one system in their life, and they desire portability above everything else. So why not create a super lightweight, powerful-enough laptop, with 4k display, chiclet keys, and enough CPU and iGPU power to do what they want on-the-go, but when they want to play Fallout 4, all they have to do is attach the GPU core's cable to their laptop, plug in a mouse and possibly a larger monitor/the-tv-in-the-living-room, and they can play their game.

So Razer has acknowledged and solved two problems here, #1 being performance for games when desired (using the core), and #2 being the "complexity" of multi-system ownership, by simplifying it down to only needing one system which can do everything - be portable, and be powerful.

Now that I'm seeing the ability of this system, it's really rather elegant. I wouldn't have to sit in this stupid desk chair. I could leave the GPU core next to my livingroom TV, and just plug in the laptop to that and to the tv, and voila, huge screen, desktop performance, and all my files have moved with me. I have no intention of buying one, however, curse you student loans...

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale Next Week?
5. Re: Steam Winter Sale Next Week? Dec 17, 2015, 13:29 chickenboo

Yup I'm with you there, I told myself in August, "No more buying games this year!" but frankly, there's only one game I really want to buy now, and it can wait as I have a hefty backlog of games to play. But for those who are just getting into Steam or have been waiting for a price drop, have at it!

I hope Steam does a mini game like they had during the Summer Sale. That was fun.

News Comments > WoW Banhammer
4. Re: WoW Banhammer Dec 17, 2015, 13:27 chickenboo

For a while there, bots had ruined battlegrounds. Some matches, more than half your team would be bots. That made the game very difficult to enjoy and was one of my reasons for unsubbing back then.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2015, 14:43 chickenboo

Maybe I'll reinstall Brutal Doom, that game was a lot of fun.  

News Comments > Valve on Steam Trade Changes
6. Re: Valve on Steam Trade Changes Dec 10, 2015, 14:40 chickenboo

How often do you make Steam item trades? I maybe make one per year. One extra step of going to my email, or opening Steam on my phone, and clicking a link to prove it's ME that is making the trade, hardly seems like a big hassle. Don't have a smartphone? Have SteamGuard send codes to your email. Don't want to use SteamGuard? Then set your password for Steam to something unique that you only use with that Steam account, so if your password details get phished from some other service, they scammers can't get access to your Steam inventory.  

News Comments > Full Throttle Remastered & Psychonauts VR Game Announced
7. Re: Full Throttle Remastered & Psychonauts VR Game Announced Dec 6, 2015, 20:18 chickenboo

I will probably buy the Full Throttle remaster, even though my experience with remastered old games seems to be minimal play of it. 13 hours logged in Homeworld Remastered, beat the game, haven't gone back. 4 hours logged in Grim Fandango remastered, slowly working on beating it once again. 4 hours in Icewind Dale Enhanced, but I got bored (it was never as good as BG)... Meanwhile, 96+ hours logged in Witcher 3. I guess what I'm saying is, I logged many hours of playtime in those old games back in the day, and returning to them now in remastered versions doesn't, in the end, increase my desire to play in their worlds very much. All it is is a polished version of something old and wrinkled by time. Something to put on my digital games shelf to show off - mostly to myself, since I doubt many of my Steam friends are oohing and awwing at my library of games.

Seeing as Broken Age was kinda-sorta a flop, Double Fine better come up with something new and exciting quickly, or they will begin to stagnate. I never did play Psychonauts, so maybe this will give their image some more credibility...

News Comments > Jade Empire Free on Origin
7. Re: Jade Empire Free on Origin Dec 2, 2015, 01:50 chickenboo

I think digital sales do weird things to our sense of value. Case in point, I waited months to buy Witcher 3, until GOG had it on sale, and I paid $32.99 because by that time, I figured Steam wouldn't ever put it on sale, and I was happy to give my money directly to GOG anyways. Then a week later Steam put the game on sale for a dollar or two less than GOG had. I am still kicking myself for not waiting. Why? I can't rightly explain why I want to have Witcher 3 on Steam instead of GOG. I guess I want to show off to my friends that I have the game? Why though? I can't explain it. It's like if you had your shelf of video games on display and your friends would come over and see your game collection, but you had another shelf hidden inside a cupboard somewhere, with a few other select games, that your friends don't see or know about unless you say hey, I have some other games here, too... in this cupboard, out of sight, for some reason.

Or in your case, you paid $3.75 for a game, which is excellent! But now the price is zero, and you feel ripped off somehow, even though you bought the game years back, have had ample time to enjoy it, and probably got your money's worth -- especially considering on release it was $50. So how would your enjoyment increase if the game were free?

I claimed Red Alert 2 when they offered it for free, and maybe some day I'll play it... Maybe.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 29, 2015, 20:09 chickenboo

How does JC3 have a 54% discount BEFORE release? Assuming $60 release price that is.  

News Comments > Overwatch Origins Edition Details
5. Re: Overwatch Origins Edition Details Nov 6, 2015, 16:22 chickenboo

Personally I find their character designs to be hackneyed stereotypes, eg the Indian Brahman healer, the snazzy female sniper, the big beefy gorilla warrior, the Jamaican pothead DJ dude. From the videos I've seen it also feels like the weapons lack "oomph", like all the weapons have the force of a weak laser behind them. I felt the characters of TF2 were refreshing and genuinely funny, maybe now they're kind of unoriginal and silly, but personally I feel like Blizz is trying to duplicate TF2's success. I do like how the level designs are colorful and dense, it looks very WoW'ish, like the faction bases in the MoP expansion. It's an okay look. However I don't think the game will do very well, but then, Hearthstone and Heroes has taken off pretty well, so maybe it will surprise me.  

News Comments > Shovel Knight Retail Release
1. Re: Shovel Knight Retail Release Nov 4, 2015, 10:50 chickenboo

I really enjoy this game, and I'm glad Yacht Club Games have had such a successful Kickstarter campaign that has lead to a game as good as this. Great example of Kickstarter being effective.  

News Comments > Overwatch Beta This Month
10. Re: Overwatch Beta This Month Oct 15, 2015, 09:00 chickenboo

Hurry up with that station!
God damn I miss Tribes so much...

52 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo