Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2012, 18:37
Total Comments 119 (Novice)
User ID 57305

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Apr 11, 2018, 16:14 chickenboo

Prez wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 14:55:

As far as the frequency, it seems to ebb and flow with the cultural focus on gender equality in society at large. I've read articles on the same theme several times already this year. If it actually struck me as an actual problem then I'm sure my threshold on the subject would be much higher but really it just doesn't.

You're not in the minority though, you're in the majority: a 25-45-something white male gamer. So it's somewhat natural for you (and me!) not to detect this as a problem. From this woman's perspective, though, it completely is a problem and she's writing to bring attention to that. I'm male too and I don't even think about this stuff, heck most of the time seeing a female by-line is a novelty. It shouldn't be, but it is. So while I feel like it doesn't affect me, it affects her, and if ~50% of gamers are female, they are totally justified in feeling underserved.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes
16. Re: Steam Spy Ending Due to Steam Privacy Changes Apr 11, 2018, 13:29 chickenboo

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:41:
This is horrible for the consumer and I'm sure it will affect https://steamdb.info/ which will suck.

Yes all the websites which scrape everyone's public Steam profile including yours, to build data and serve ads, will be suffering heavily from this change. Horrible for the consumer? It's great for consumers, they now by default hide their profile game data from non-friends - they have to opt in to allow the public to see their game history and game list. This is a good change and should have happened years ago. Pity about losing that game sale data, for sure, but I still prefer my information being private by default.

News Comments > Razer Game Store Launches
4. Re: Razer Game Store Launches Apr 6, 2018, 13:29 chickenboo

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 11:23:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 11:14:
Instead of doing something that anyone can do WHY don't you focus on making reliable peripherals?

This is the first thing I thought. Hah. I don't buy Razer products anyways so it won't affect me...

My Deathadder 2013 is still going strong 4 years on. It's comfy, accurate, and the thumb grips haven't shown signs of wearing out yet. I'm quite pleased it's been issue-free. Judging by the Razer subreddit, there's no end to issues with their laptops.

News Comments > Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam
12. Re: Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam Apr 6, 2018, 11:53 chickenboo

I got it purely for the Game of Thrones mod I saw a year back and have wanted to play ever since!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 6, 2018, 11:41 chickenboo

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 10:04:
I like how Western Digital only now competes with NVME's... when everyone already has a Samsung SSD because Samsung, a core memory maker makes the best NVME's ;p

I like how it's 4K ready! I've been waiting to jump on this 4K bandwagon and now that there's an NVME SSD that supports it I can finally start playing 4K titles! What took these hard drive companies so long and why was WD the first company to make one?

News Comments > WoW Expands in August
3. Re: WoW Expands in August Apr 5, 2018, 12:07 chickenboo

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 11:54:
Up to 120.. out of curiosity anyone know what the level cap in EQ is? Just wondering if WoW has caught up yet...

Ring of Scale expansion's level cap is 110, so WoW has outlevelled EQ finally.

News Comments > Valve Addresses Steam Machines
15. Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 18:50 chickenboo

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 18:12:
afka Rossini wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 12:33:
Make Half-Life 3 a SteamOS exclusive. Problem solved.
All it does these days is copy Blizzard, with games like Dota 2 and Artifact.

Isn't Dota 2 based on what was originally a mod for Warcraft 3? Didn't Valve hire the team behind that mod to create Dota 2? How then are they copying Blizzard?

As for Artifact, they hired the designer/creator of Magic The Gathering for this new game. So sure, they are making a card game, but there were computer-based card games before Hearthstone came along, and arguably they hired the granddaddy of card games to make this one. I'm not buying the Blizzard-copying angle here.

Personally I'm not waiting for HL3. I'll play it if it ever releases, but at this point expectations are so high (and gamers are so petty and hopelessly entitled) that the game would have to be literally the very best game ever conceived or it would be ripped to shreds by journalists, youtube, gamers, and fans. So I have little hope they're really working on it despite all the clamor for it.

I played through Black Mesa and HL2 recently. Black Mesa totally holds up and I loved every minute. HL2 though, while fun, doesn't hold up as well in my opinion: I had more fun playing Doom 2016.

News Comments > Valve Addresses Steam Machines
3. Re: Valve Addresses Steam Machines Apr 4, 2018, 11:21 chickenboo

Note, you can still find steam machines in Steam by browsing under the Hardware tab to Controller, Link, or Vive, and then from there clicking the All Hardware link on the left. I'm in Canada and as of this morning there were still Steam Machine listings.

I think it was a good initiative and Steam can always put them back up and do round 2 should Microsoft propel them to do so once again. As for me, I use Windows because it plays *all* of my games. I could dual boot to Ubuntu or something but I don't hate Windows enough to do so, and then I wouldn't be able to play The Witcher 3 and many other titles.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Apr 3, 2018, 11:36 chickenboo

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 3, 2018, 08:16:
Blizzard is good at taking concepts and breaking them down to fit a more mainstream appeal but I can't help be wonder how much further you could break the battle royale genre down especially when you have Fortnight.

It's a ton of money sitting on the table though so I'm surprised they're hesitant since they generally chase trend-setting genres even if the market is saturated.

Here's some reasons, anyway:
  • characters designed with an intent/purpose and weapons towards that end

• BR modes are defined by collecting weapons from the field, right? Like there's a bit of randomness in what weapons you'll find and how that might tip the game in your favor. OW can't do this as each character is already given a weapon and attacks

• OW is a team-oriented objective-based game. I think it has a deathmatch mode, though...

• Maybe they're also worried how it might affect their championships and annual tournaments. That whole e-sport craze.

• But you're right, they stand to make millions if they follow the BR trend.

News Comments > BATTLETECH on April 24th
    2. Re: BATTLETECH on April 24th Mar 27, 2018, 11:10 chickenboo

please be good  

News Comments > NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger
    3. Re: NVIDIA GPP Concerns Linger Mar 21, 2018, 11:18 chickenboo

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 21, 2018, 11:14:
    I remember back when I was outraged that 3dfx pulled this shit on Nvidia. Apparently we've come full circle. Nvidia, I hope you get cucked equally as hard.

Got a link? I don't remember this.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2018, 12:03 chickenboo

Play him off, keyboard cat! Ohh........  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
    4. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 21, 2018, 15:45 chickenboo

Nullity wrote on Feb 21, 2018, 12:51:
    jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2018, 20:52:
    How's about NVidia and AMD ramping up GPU sales? I need a new goddamn GPU.

This. The new Nvidia card is coming out in a couple months, and I'm pretty sure we won't be able to get one, unless we're willing to sell off body parts. This crypto crap sucks.

They need to start producing specialized cards for crypto mining, so we can have our GPUs back.

This might not really solve much. Production capacity is limited, it's not like NVidia can just open up a new production channel to feed all the crypto miners. They'd have to allocate a portion of their production stream to crypto-mining specific cards. Naturally those would fly off the shelves, and then the miners would descend on the next-best-thing, regular GPUs. I think the solution lies with retailers, like some in Canada have begun doing for example where if you wish to purchase a GPU, you email them and ask for one (maybe they deny multiple units per credit card?) and they agree to set one aside for you when they get a shipment. That's a good temporary solution. Ultimately NVidia and AMD, and their third party manufacturers, need to ramp up production drastically. But then there's the ram shortage...

News Comments > Morning Interviews
    4. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 13:28 chickenboo

Fond memories of Whitta at the helm of PCGamer. I remember the issues which had editorials about the staff buying a bucket of popcorn chicken, and debating whether or not the Jack In The box Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger was truly the best cheeseburger. I still have yet to eat one of those (JITB doesn't exist in Canada) but some day I will.

These days I'd argue we are truly in the golden age of PC Gaming but there's really something special about gaming through the 90s. So many leaps forward, new game genres, new possibilities. These days it's all kind of old hat. Whitta was lucky to be a big part of all that. I can't recall if he was Editor In Chief during their Gaming Gods feature, and I wonder if something like that has been done since - gathering all the best of today's gaming devs together in one office for a group photo?

News Comments > Fallout 4 Free Weekend
    4. Re: Fallout 4 Free Weekend Jan 30, 2018, 12:30 chickenboo

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 12:10:
    ... going around playing junkman and hauling around everything in sight.

Hahaha this is perfect. I think this is one of the things that's turned me off Bethesda games in the last few years, ever since Skyrim. The constant unceasing looting. Corpses to loot full of apples and potatoes and candles and silver cups and platters. Cupboards and closets everywhere. Every time I see a Draugr corpse in a dungeon I'd feel compelled to take the 3 coins rusting away on it.

Fallout 4 would be even worse if I need to loot all these dumb housing components whenever I see them (in addition to all the ammo, various armor, weapons to sell, and then animal/insect parts, in addition to silver platters and cold war era scotch). "Ooh this corpse has a "Leather Couch Left Armrest Upholstery" better grab that if I ever want a nice looking couch. And this chest has kitchen chair pads so I don't scuff my house's floor when I sit in the chair!"

News Comments > NVIDIA BFGD Revealed
    34. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 10, 2018, 11:48 chickenboo

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 05:02:
    RaZ0r! wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 19:16:
    What's the deal with this push to get PC gaming into the living room? Seems like it's been going on for decades, and hasn't worked yet. Who benefits if we all start PC gaming on the couch? Not sure I get it.

Older PC gamers like us that have kids now and hate the vertical gardens of the console world.

My desk chair is uncomfortable and the couch is super comfy. The Steam controller allows me to play any game in my library flawlessly (or near-flawlessly). Why wouldn't I play on the big TV?

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced
    38. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 18:32 chickenboo

Definitely looking forward to this. The graphics aren't spectacular but that's not so important so long as they nail the gameplay.  

News Comments > PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans
    17. Re: PUBG as a Service: No Sequel Plans Oct 23, 2017, 15:21 chickenboo

Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 13:14:
    SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 10:17:
    Like an MMO? I don't understand what they mean by building this game as a service.

What is any software service? It means monthly fees and transactions instead of a one time purchase. Yeah I don't imagine that'll go over well. These guys need a reality check. Sooner or later this game will fade as all flavors of the month do. The reason some games like CS have longevity is because they're free.

I'm picturing more of a Team Fortress 2 model. Keep the community alive with constant updates, lots of little cosmetics players can buy, a lively competitive scene. Games As Service doesn't necessarily mean Subscription Fees anymore.

News Comments > Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking
    7. Re: Activision Patents Driving Microtransactions Through Matchmaking Oct 18, 2017, 10:45 chickenboo

The thing that irks me about this, is that this is once again simply common sense. It's already obvious that junior players are going to see the pros running around with their (a la TF2) iPod earbuds and hats for their hats and Santa Claus beards and want them too, and head off to the store. Activision is simply codifying this into a patent so they can get the jump on other devs/publishers in the industry.

It's just so sad watching the industry go this way.

News Comments > Op Ed
    6. Re: Op Ed Oct 16, 2017, 11:09 chickenboo

You can try spinning it all you like, but it is a dangerous precedent to see titles like Shadows of War and Battlefront 2 messing with loot boxes. If a game can't be profitable without using loot boxes, then it was never going to be profitable to begin with."

What would we prefer, collectively: loot boxes (which start by being purely cosmetics but will inevitably move towards P2W to entice people to buy them) or simply higher game prices? Costs to make games are on the rise, as ever, and they're only going to get more costly. To expect games to remain $60 at launch is ridiculous. Either prices rise, loot boxes happen, or the scope of games reduces drastically to make them profitable on a smaller budget with a smaller team. It's just the economics of the situation.

Read this article on gamesindustry.biz. I'm not entirely on board with the author's claims that loot boxes aren't gambling, but it's a proven method for increasing revenue from a title. Gamers are price sensitive though and we will have to adjust to higher game prices at launch... or see smaller games and smaller launches.

119 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo