Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2012, 18:37
Total Comments 240 (Novice)
User ID 57305

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect
4. Re: Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect Sep 20, 2019, 13:05 chickenboo

roguebanshee wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 12:51:
"People in charge of lobbying for the industry says ruling that makes them less money is bad"

News at 11.

pretty much. given that gamesindustry.biz runs article after article about the issue of excess games and not enough gamers to buy them (hence discoverability concerns), i'd be inclined to call this lobbyist's bluff and argue it's not going to stop the production of digital goods at all, it will just shift distribution to a new channel where goods can be locked down, like subscription services.

lobbyist and politician playbook: take a new issue, dial it to eleven, say it will "kill jobs"/"kill games"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2019, 11:41 chickenboo

My friend bought me the starter pack. I have to say it was pretty amazing running around a starship together with my friend while it warps through deep space. Granted there's, err, nothing to really DO on the ship but stand around and wait - hopefully we can get a pool table or something - but it was a pretty cool technological innovation there. I liked that everything was seamless, from climbing into a ship, warping across the solar system, jetting through the atmosphere, finding your docking bay and landing, then hopping out and running for the tram lines. That was really cool.

I definitely have my doubts though. Chris Roberts bit off way more than he can chew. I really want to see the project come to completion because it does have a lot going for it but, I haven't logged in for months. I'm not giving the project any of my money that's for sure, as long as it's pre-release.

News Comments > Best Games of the Century List
15. Re: Best Games of the Century List Sep 19, 2019, 13:57 chickenboo

BOTW showed how you can make an open world game designed around interactivity. I think it belongs in the top 10 here. Bloodbourne I'm less certain about since Dark Souls is already on the list. Surely there's a more definitive boundary-pushing 21st century game than Bloodbourne. Chu Chu Rocket? (i jest) what about Shadows of the Collossus, it's both more memorable and more unique. I think HL2 appears here simply because it was the refinement of Valve's story telling philosophy, including the advancement of physics engines. HL2 truly had ground breaking physics. Though, top 10... Portal 2 features the same physics engine and has a superior story and superior gameplay.  

News Comments > Borderland 3 Reviews
28. Re: Borderland 3 Reviews Sep 9, 2019, 20:41 chickenboo

Gib007 wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 17:40:
Xero wrote on Sep 9, 2019, 17:34:
I tried getting into Borderlands 2 after a sale was giving it for like 12 bucks on Steam.

I couldn't get into it. The music was pretty cool. The guns felt meh as did the impact. I also didn't like that I could only hold like 2 guns at a time (probably because it was still early), and like zillion different guns were dropping. Granted, a lot of those guns felt dull to me.

I dunno, also the cel shaded look is definitely something your either into or not. I never really was but thought I'd give it a chance considering the hype.

The dialogue was pretty funny and I did enjoy it. At least in the starting phase of the game. I didn't get too far though to see if it turns into a really amazing experience though.

I felt like I had an idea of what it was all about and again, the gun feel failed to get me hooked which is what an FPS is all about...

I've had a similar problem. I just can't get into Borderlands no matter how hard I try.

Exact same experience here. 2 hours into it, the guns are feeling weak, the game feels on rails, I enjoy the humor/dialogue, the cel shading is merely OK, the boss fights are especially bullet spongey and reward playing cheap like hiding in a little hut taking pot shots.

I don't feel compelled to continue and I also don't like quests which involve completing yet more quests for this other guy who in turn passes you to a friend who won't help you until you do quests for him... I really liked Shadow Warrior 2 but I played that first so maybe Borderlands 2 come across as "been there done that" to me.

News Comments > New Steam Library Beta This Month
18. Re: New Steam Library Beta This Month Sep 5, 2019, 18:10 chickenboo

I still use the same Fallout-themed skin for Winamp that I used back in 2001  

News Comments > Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Nerfed
8. Re: Fortnite B.R.U.T.E.s Nerfed Aug 23, 2019, 16:10 chickenboo

Prez wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 15:46:
It's mind-boggling to me that they would leave the mechs in for tournaments. That has to be hurting viewership. People who watch esports generally do so because they admire the level of skill the top players exhibit, so why include an element that negates the skill players? Two popular streamers rage-quitting the latest tournament because of the mechs can't be helping either.

Yeah, it sounds equivalent to if Quake randomly dropped quad damage on players, such that you didn't have to fight for the quad spawn, you simply randomly got it or not. That's basically the system they seem to have here.

But the mech was all about increasing ease of access to new players so that everyone has an opportunity to win, regardless of skill level. Which is ridiculous of course. It's just a sign of the slide downward in quality for Fortnite, chasing user numbers and engagement numbers in favor of building a lasting community. See also WoW, SW:G, EQ...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2019, 18:06 chickenboo

I thought this credit card seemed somewhat superfluous but now they've come up with a way to make your damn credit card a fashion statement piece. Watch as people argue about whether to buy a clear plastic sleeve protector to house their credit card to save it from scratches, or if they prefer to "take the risk" and not "sully" the card with a protector so they can better show off their fashionable credit card - just like their iPhone!  

News Comments > WoW Classic Population Control
38. Re: WoW Classic Population Control Aug 19, 2019, 22:05 chickenboo

I'm going to give it a go and I'm probably going to burn out within a week of play.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Aug 19, 2019, 13:11 chickenboo

It god damn better! Samsung's native apps switch between day and night mode based on a user-defined time setting. Really, all of Android should do this. There's plenty of mobile browser apps to convert every website to dark mode. The disconnect between app developers making design choices to meet Google recommendations, and the desires of what appears to be the majority of users preferring dark mode when available, is a weird one. You'd think by now they would have caught on.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Beyond Launches
15. Re: No Man's Sky Beyond Launches Aug 14, 2019, 17:36 chickenboo

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 14, 2019, 16:20:
A quick look through the reddit tells me HG kicked themselves in the balls with this release. Tons of problems...

They just can't catch a break can they? That's a huge list of patch fixes and improvements, heck, some devs might even charge for VR as a DLC. Looking at this list, I'm amazed. But if it's just a buggy mess... once again they are using their loyal playerbase to playtest their patch for them. Yay.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Aug 7, 2019, 13:34 chickenboo

Americans really love their market competition dogma. Steam may be a monopoly, but it also has the richest features. Regular sales. Stands up for gamers by improving Linux gaming performance. All sorts of things!

On the face of it there's nothing "wrong" with Epic coming out with a store. We already have plenty of stores for selling games from specific companies. What I do have a problem with is offering dollars to a developer/publisher to have them sell exclusively on EGS when the game was previously promised a release on Steam. If you bought a Nintendo Switch because the game you're anticipating says it's releasing on your device, only suddenly Sony swoops in and makes the game exclusive to PS4, you'd be just as upset! Then there's the Kickstarter projects...

Yeah, Epic's strategy "makes sense", but that doesn't mean I can't disagree with their approach. This whole blog comment comes across as one big strawman.

News Comments > Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity
16. Re: Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity Jul 31, 2019, 12:56 chickenboo

Battletech was a long time coming, had Kickstarter support, and had a pretty successful launch on Steam AND GOG, as well as Steam keys being sold on other websites. Also, Battletech was the first game from that universe in quite some times (discounting MW Online) and it's very well crafted and got good reviews out of the gate, so I think all these factors combined to make it sell pretty well.

MW5, while I've been anticipating it for quite a while now, being locked to EGS I don't think is going to do it many favors. Sure there's lots of eyeballs there and they can more easily buy front page space on the store front, but the community on that store likely won't be as interested. It's just a less-diverse crowd of gaming tastes using EGS. If they were clever they'd have released it everywhere, Steam AND EGS AND GOG. Instead, they wanted that cool Epic pay cheque in return for locking-in exclusivity. Lame shit.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 29, 2019, 14:25 chickenboo

jdreyer wrote on Jul 29, 2019, 02:53:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 28, 2019, 23:00:
Who are the suckers buying Youngblood? That game is abysmal! Who allowed those shit devs to release a game like that and call it Wolfenstein? What a disgrace and an insult to pc gamers.

I haven't played it, but reviewers on Steam have a litany of issues:
- Main characters are infantile and annoying
- AI is braindead, so no point in playing SP
- MTX have no place in a game like this
- Level progression grindy
- Can't pause the game, even in SP
- Checkpoint save system sucks
- Story is lame

Damn, even people that give the game a thumbs up are complaining about these things.

So the story sucks, the AI sucks, the characters suck, you can't pause the game AND they're shoving the in-game store in my face with the the inexplicable variety of currency I'll collect? Sounds like an easy dodge and an easy $30 saved.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2019, 14:22 chickenboo

They're also ridiculously overpriced for what they are. Granted I thought hard about buying one of those Glorious mice as my Deathadder 2013 seems to be getting slightly fritzy lately. But it's like $100+ CDN, and yeah, those holes are just asking for skin flakes and chip crumbs and stuff to fall into it. Give it six months and it'll look really nasty. A little pipe cleaner brush might do the trick to clean it but regular mice don't need that kind of attention.

It's just another example of the gaming hardware market diversifying into products for the discerning tournament player who needs the highest DPI, lightest, most accurate mouse on the market... and then they market it as if everybody needs the thing. We've all seen this before.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2019, 14:17 chickenboo

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 29, 2019, 11:25:
If I got a nickle for every false prophecy of the future of gaming...

That article is from wccftech, they've been wrong a million times by now, prime clickbait-generating "news" site posting ridiculous speculation and twitter posts as sources.

News Comments > Torchlight Free on Epic Games Store
32. Re: Torchlight Free on Epic Games Store Jul 17, 2019, 18:28 chickenboo

PoE didn't do it for me. Somehow a combination of grim-dark, resource management and how the game is tilted towards the unforgiving-sphere rather the forgiving sphere turned me off of it. I never played more than 5 hours of PoE, but have 100+ in Torchlight 2. I found TL2 to be the closest to Diablo 2 in my tastes. Vanilla TL2 is good, TL2 + Synergies mod + Synergies Loot is prime Diablo 2 quality, any other mods on top of that is gravy.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2019, 18:24 chickenboo

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2019, 16:55:
Apple is planning to buy up original podcasts with exclusivity in mind.

Can I see some EGS style outrage please?

my outrage is reserved for video games ONLY!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2019, 13:00 chickenboo

McBrowser, from McDonalds: the fast, privacy-focused, red-and-yellow themed browser!  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Roadmap
47. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 16, 2019, 11:12 chickenboo

i hate that now even store fronts release in unfinished states and the company releases patch notes for daily/weekly updates to keep users enticed. "My favorite store is constantly improving just like my favorite game, Fortnite!"

next it will be netflix movies. they release it in quarters as they finish it. nobody has the time these days to watch an ENTIRE movie but they have time for the first 25 minutes of one!

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2019, 12:17 chickenboo

That GPU degradation article was a load of crap. That headline rule where the answer to a question posed in a headline is always no, is true in this case as ever. That was a blatant clickbait title since his conclusion was performance improves for all cards. Should have titled it "GPU performance increases over time!" but that wouldn't generate clicks, so better to title it with a DOOM AND GLOOM headline to grab the eyeballs  

240 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo