Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2012, 18:37
Total Comments 98 (Suspect)
User ID 57305

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Review Fallout
13. Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 13:10 chickenboo

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:22:
Dacote wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 11:44:
That's always been the purpose of reading reviews, you occasionally have to get off your ass and do some research. Steam has made it easier by doing some of the research in advance.

Yeah, no? The point of a review is to help me decide if I want to buy something. Showing me a graph that tells me "Hey, for some reason there's now some negative stuff about this game that's causing negative reviews" without any kind of context whatsoever is about as useful as a tit on a wallet.

OK but now you just read some recent reviews, see a bunch of people saying "paid mods is bullshit" "don't support this publisher over the paid mods fiasco" and connect the dots: graph shows recent negative reviews, recent negative reviews speak about paid mods. Then you decide if you care or not, and then you buy the game. Or not.

Damn, you act like you need to be spoonfed everything

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
16. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 25, 2017, 12:41 chickenboo

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 12:34:
The problem with more half-life is it'll never live up to the expectations and hype.

And they don't need the money so why bother shooting yourself in the foot?

In addition to this, maybe there isn't enough of a team at Valve who is interested in doing this project. Not only that, but the team has to be of high enough calibre that the game they produce is as good as HL2, preferably better. Since HL2 was already a high point in FPS gaming, coupled with extreme fan demand and speculation, I think it would be quite difficult to get the quality of the game high enough that people would be satisfied with it.

News Comments > DOOM Patch; Free DLC; Price Drop; Free Weekend
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2017, 11:13 chickenboo

Sadly Steam only has three update options which boil down to "always update" and "update when I load the game". Great, so the next time I want to play my single player campaign, I get to download a 30gb patch I don't want. Fantastic.

Maybe offline mode will work properly, but I'm not getting my hopes up. So many games these days require phoning home before launching. If this is the case with Doom, I'm uninstalling it.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior: Special Edition (2013) for Free
14. Re: Shadow Warrior: Special Edition (2013) for Free Jul 21, 2017, 11:14 chickenboo

Agreed, I loved the remake but the sequel to it really IS better! I'm about 90% complete of my second play through on Insanity level 2 difficulty.

That achievement for 10,000 masamune coins is ridiculous though. At this difficulty level, main story missions grant 63 masamune coins for completion. I'm not sure I want to play through the game again to complete that achievement.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 27, 2017, 16:37 chickenboo

Big McLargeHuge. Brick HardMeat. Slab SquatThrust  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Thursday
30. Re: Steam Summer Sale Thursday Jun 21, 2017, 17:05 chickenboo

Flash sales were stopped due to the refund policy, people would buy 50% off then it goes on a flash sale 85% off, so people refund the 50% and buy at 85% off.

That is the only reason.

I have to think we all know this here by now, but you see the usual suspects just repeat the same thing about the Steams Sales exactly twice a year.

I liked the Flash Sales to, the downside was missing on something you wanted because you were working or busy, so in that case it did you no good and gave you a bit of a slap in the face and yes we complained that was unfair. So go figure.

Well that, and before Steam had refunds, people were clamoring and shouting for refunds, something which some sellers had but which Steam did not. So Steam finally adopted a refund system - great! Only now Flash sales aren't going to work, are they? There would be a slew of refund requests like clockwork every 4 hours.

We gave up flash sales for refunds. I have yet to refund a game and probably never will - I do my research prior to purchase. While I'm not pining for the days of flash sales (same reasons you mentioned) what we gained in return doesn't benefit me all that much.

But who cares, I have a decent income, games are a luxury, and I buy too many of them as it is.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed
37. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed Jun 19, 2017, 10:57 chickenboo

I finally loaded up Wolf TNO last night after buying it for $10 a couple weeks back. Playing on an RX480, the performance is horrible. Frames are all over the place, 25fps then 40 then 55 then 33 in a firefight. Crashes to desktop occasionally. I forced v-sync on in the AMD control panel, set settings to medium, play in a window at 1200x900, and it's still borderline unplayable. I'm going to try setting max FPS to 30 in either the AMD cp or using Rivatuner, but if that doesn't make the game smooth, I just won't be playing it. Pretty sad, and of course Bethesda is no help - their support section has no info and then directs you to the support forum where "the community may have solutions." Funny thing is, I played Wolf The Old Blood a few years ago on an R9 270 and it played perfectly fine...

At least Doom played like a dream.

News Comments > Memorial Day Tech Bits
2. Re: Memorial Day Tech Bits May 29, 2017, 15:11 chickenboo

If I had a 2500K I would hold off. It looks like the i5-7600K has a 30% lead on your processor, but you'd have to upgrade everything - the mobo the ram and the cpu.

Personally I would continue to wait for larger improvements. That chip still has a lot of fight left in it!

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 in September
7. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 in September May 25, 2017, 10:58 chickenboo

HorrorScope wrote on May 24, 2017, 21:06:
Saboth wrote on May 24, 2017, 20:29:
"Much larger than its highly-awarded predecessor, Divinity: Original Sin"

The first one was pretty darn huge, and this one is bigger? Awesome game. Very few complaints except by the end, I felt like the same combos over and over were most effective (unless an enemy had resistances).

To me that is what I've found to be the problem with long games, you figure it out and it is rinse and repeat for too long. I won't bash this game because of it, just sort of a state of gaming issue to me in general. Yes first was good, but still plenty of places to improve on, hopefully they take a nice step forward here.

I have that problem with BG2 playthroughs, it's simple enough to mostly brute-force your way through the game. Usually by the Underdark part of the game, one fighter has enough anti-spell equipment to walk right up to Beholders and whack them to death.

News Comments > Far Cry 5's Montana Setting Revealed
18. Re: Far Cry 5's Montana Setting Revealed May 23, 2017, 15:16 chickenboo

I like the new theme. The jungle themes just didn't do it for me in the previous games.

Funny, that was their entire appeal. Remember how fresh and new the original Far Cry was because it was finally brightly colored, non-urban, wide opened FPS gaming? I didn't much care for FC3 but I did like the setting.

That said this setting looks quite good too. Color me intrigued... but not intrigued enough to actually play it. Too many other games to play. Like Witcher 3 for the third time.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 11:18 chickenboo

I've had some minor success having the second computer sharing my account have Steam go into Offline Mode before booting up any games from either machine. That enabled my GF and I to play separate games from my account simultaneously. It doesn't always work though.  

News Comments > STRAFE Released
2. Re: STRAFE Released May 10, 2017, 10:57 chickenboo

Same here. I was planning to buy it on release but Reddit and Steam reviews seem to suggest it's not a lot of fun. I watched a Twitch streamer playing it last night and it looked sorta boring. I had been expecting sort of a Quake1/SeriousSam crossover.  

News Comments > Steam Gifting Changes
16. Re: Steam Gifting Changes May 4, 2017, 14:57 chickenboo

Nice PR text, but it has nothing to do with what they write. They are simply trying to shut down the reseller market.

But is this true? Buying games from G2A grants you a Steam CD Key. They don't gift you the game from a Steam user who works for G2A. Similarly buying games from HumbleBundle grants a CDKey - you aren't buying a gift copy. Maybe this is curbing the use of game gifting as a gambling reward.

News Comments > Chet Faliszek Leaves Valve
2. Re: Chet Faliszek Leaves Valve May 2, 2017, 10:39 chickenboo

Jokes aside, I wish him all the best. And hope there's a new OMM post.  

News Comments > Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored
34. Re: Alien Isolation Sequel Rumored Apr 28, 2017, 11:22 chickenboo

I'm such a pussy, I need to go back and finish it but there is not enough alcohol courage in the world to do this at the moment. I've been doing it bit by bit for the last 3 years. I need to close my eyes whenever the thing finds me, it's just too fucking real. And it's been a while since my wife did her last CPR refresh course, I'll time my next go for that. Or keep thinking of excuses. Fuck it, day off tomorrow, I'll try again tonight.

It's worth finishing, I really liked the ending and it was very satisfying to finish. The game definitely gets a bit easier towards the end when you get a certain weapon. I actually ended up not being afraid of "him" anymore and just getting irritated when he would show up from a duct. Like, go away, I'm trying to finish the game here!

Still though. Much of that game had me in a state of absolute terror. Playing with the lights off in a dark room and the sound way up, oh man. Exhilarating.

News Comments > etc., etc.
14. Re: etc., etc. Apr 28, 2017, 11:14 chickenboo

Zoom wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 04:04:
I am quite indifferent to be honest, if it wasnt for Bluesnews i would have never heard of her.
What's annoying though is the usual kneejerk reaction with ad hominem attacks, while no one ever addresses her arguments, which would be easy if they were so outlandish. Which makes me think that
- either gamer geeks are so sociopathic that they cant argue with a woman (quite possible honestly)
- or she does make a valid point and poeple resort to ad hominem as they're out of intelligent arguments
- or maybe a bit of both, who knows
PS: i only skimmed through a few of her videos, i dont care about the arguments themselves or what she says, i only am interested in the general gamer community reactions. Pretty unsurprising given what one can hear in an online game when someone gets identified as a woman..

Yeah, I'm sick of the internet hate-on for her, it's pathetic and really highlights the insecurity of internet males. Personally I think her points are valid, the depiction of women in video games is mostly one dimensional and sexualized for our benefit. Gaming shouldn't be a boys club, but it largely still is. Anyway, I enjoyed her series and I'm looking forward to what she does next if it's gaming related or if it examines depictions of women in society.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 24, 2017, 10:43 chickenboo

I loves me some FTL and that game involves unlocking ships by getting to sector 8 and defeating the Boss Ship, over and over and over again.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Apr 18, 2017, 11:37 chickenboo

Those CDs did include some real gems (granted a lot of the titles were shovelware). Personally I'm all for more games than ever, maybe it makes the choice of what to play harder but more options are definitely better.

Also didn't Steam address this recently saying they're going to roll out more community voting/rating options?

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 18, 2017, 11:14 chickenboo

I can't decide whether to buy Full Throttle on GOG or Steam. I like Steam achievements and I'd like to collect a badge, but I like supporting GOG. Also it looks like the GOG version doesn't have achievements yet, or at least it isn't listed on the game page.  

News Comments > KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors
6. Re: KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumor Apr 11, 2017, 10:56 chickenboo

Task wrote on Apr 11, 2017, 10:40:
The phrases "semi-MMO" and "Destiny-style" just turned this radar blip into an unimportant anomaly. If they can't do KoToR 3 properly without introducing a bunch of grinding casual filler, then my fucks to give are quickly running out when it comes to "BioWare" products. It being 'bigger' than Andromeda also is a poor selling point when all that amounts to is wastes of space and the trashy MMO quests that go with them.

Now - whatever Edmonton doing is doing in secret, that's the only Bioware thing I have left to be curious about.

I think those mmo-things are discussing a different IP/game:

another tidbit from the same podcast, discussing a new IP codenamed "Dylan"

Sadly I don't hold much hope for the KOTOR-reboot either. The fantastic team that made that game is long gone. Or maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised? It's sad that so many of us are pessimistic of rebooted IPs right out the gate, we should give the game a chance, but I refuse to let myself be hyped anymore by brand name recognition.

98 Comments. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo