Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On January 19, 2012
Supporter -
Total Comments 321 (Amateur)
User ID 57305

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 27, 2020, 11:24 chickenboo

This looks more like the old style but the bullets make the links more readable, and I like this version more than yesterday's.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Multiplex

2. Re: Morning Multiplex Mar 25, 2020, 18:50 chickenboo

Cram wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 14:09:
Neat. If it plays pretty similar to a Demon Hunter, which it looks like it does, might pick this game up.

Can't say I cared much for Torchlight 2, found no replay-ability in that one at all, but still the price was right. Torchlight 1 was great & Uelmans soundtrack was on par if not better then his work on the Diablo series. Got eyes on this one.

I think this looks very similar to the Outlander from TL2. I hope it feels as satisfying to play as the Diablo 2 Bowazon all those years ago. Outlander was never my favorite class in TL2, so I never played a lot of it.

I personally adored TL2, did two runs of it, one well into NG+ with an Engineer with heavy modding via Steam Workshop, got to about level 85 before petering out. Great game, great soundtrack too especially when blended with a Diablo 2 soundtrack mod to mix things up.

I'm looking forward to this entry, I just hope they manage to infuse a lot of passion and fun into it. If it's a simple re-tread because Perfect World needed a franchise to milk money from, well, that will be disappointing.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 24, 2020, 13:24 chickenboo

Uber sits on a massive war chest of cash yet expects the government to bail out its contract workers. Typical.  

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's Plans Detailed

4. Re: CD Projekt RED's Plans Detailed Mar 12, 2020, 13:15 chickenboo

Fion wrote on Mar 12, 2020, 12:59:
Yea she's either talking about cyberpunk (which was in preliminary development at the time) or she's talking about the real world. I'm really hoping that if it was the former, we get a Ciri cameo in Cyberpunk 2077.

Either way it was pretty cool, and funny when Geralt is like 'you're full of shit.'

Didn't the devs at one point confirm that players may see a peep of Ciri at one point while playing CP2077? I definitely think she was referencing that game world.

So the MP game isn't releasing for 1.5-2 years after the main game release, that's quite a stretch.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2020, 16:00 chickenboo

"Wrong boys, I'm here about the gazebo in your backyard. Now where'd you get it?"
"Umm, we bought it from our friend... Mister Her--met--iowish. Yeah!"
"And where does Mr.Hermetiowish live?"

News Comments > The Long Dark Goes Dark on GeForce NOW

9. Re: The Long Dark Goes Dark on GeForce NOW Mar 2, 2020, 14:23 chickenboo

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 13:47:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 12:55:
maddog wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 12:28:
I find this interesting. I signed up for the free version of GFNow and have yet to try it but from what I understand, they are just streaming your games that you already own. Why would they need permission from the devs? Seems like more a courtesy than anything. Someone in that tweet thread indicated that the Shadow PC gaming service is doing the same thing.

Never the less, seems like decision is not going the way the dev wished it would. He is getting pretty hammered.

Yeah, I don't get this either. It's a client, it plays your games, it's just hosted in the cloud. Maybe there's something more to it that requires permission.

It comes down to the software licensing agreement, what they say you're allowed to do with that game you bought. But it's probably a grey area right now, with most publishers not even considering before that a service like this would come along. So while they likely don't forbid streaming the game from a remote computer you don't own or even have direct access to, they likely don't expressly allow it, either. You can bet on that point being clarified in future ToS and EULAs. Until then, NVIDIA is just playing it safe and respecting each individual game maker's wishes.

They won't come out and just say this though, nor admit it's strictly a business/money decision and that they want to be paid. They'll only address it in corporate doublespeak.

News Comments > Sunday Patches

7. Re: Sunday Patches Mar 2, 2020, 13:19 chickenboo

These people posting Reshade profiles and calling it Ray Tracing really irk me. Going through the mod notes from the link, there's nothing here about coding actual Raytracing, it's just some guy's custom Reshade preset. Witcher 3 mod community likes to do this too and I find it very disingenuous. Yes it's very beggars/choosers of me but they only label it like this to raise profile.  

News Comments > The Long Dark Goes Dark on GeForce NOW

2. Re: The Long Dark Goes Dark on GeForce NOW Mar 2, 2020, 11:19 chickenboo

I love how the dev responds to people who misunderstand the issue, but for every tweet where someone points out GFN is simply a virtual PC hosting purchased titles, he is silent. Just so typical. He has no good answer for genuine questions, but if you want to say "Hoo-rah you tell 'em boi!" he's all ears  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2020, 18:52 chickenboo

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 12:50:
And the article fails to mention whether these immigrants are legal or illegal. If they're legal it's a problem, if not it's a good thing.

poor cutter here worried about illegal immigrants taking his job

News Comments > Borderlands 3 on Steam Next Month

7. Re: Borderlands 3 on Steam Next Month Feb 28, 2020, 13:05 chickenboo

I played Shadow Warrior 2 as my first foray into these looter-shooter games, so when I bought Borderlands 2 on a whim during a sale, I found it kinda stale. All enemies are bullet sponges. No weapons felt satisfying, they all just felt pretty weak and it always felt like I was on the cusp of keeping up with enemy HP with a powerful weapon, but as soon as I found a better weapon, enemy HP would inflate again.

Some of the humor was good, but it wasn't good enough to carry the story in the way that Cave Johnson's lines in Portal 2 are interesting enough to keep the player wanting to hear more.

Definitely not my kind of game I guess. I really did like SW2 though.

News Comments > First Quarterly Update on Diablo IV

18. Re: First Quarterly Update on Diablo IV Feb 27, 2020, 11:26 chickenboo

Definitely not holding out much hope here. It's years away from release, and so far it's looking pretty damn generic. That's probably not a fair assessment given they are only coming up with designs in this stage, but you would think a game such as Diablo 4 made by the (formerly) mighty Blizzard would inspire hype.

Still can't believe they scrapped the Diablo 2 Remaster, but given how Warcraft 3 Remastered turned out, maybe that's for the best.

89. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 13:27 chickenboo

Paypal's conversion from US to CDN was pretty bad: a $60 USD donation became $88 CDN using their conversion factor while the true conversion is about $78. Their processing fee too, $4.81 USD. Yowza.
*edit: Paypal offers to let the credit card do the conversion, so that was avoided. Just a heads up for other Canadians.

News Comments > Op Ed

56. Re: Op Ed Feb 25, 2020, 13:25 chickenboo

I admit I'm developing my own sense of ambivalence about the problem as well. I have yet to create an account or accept any of the free games from EGS, but it is interesting to see how games I'd normally have strongly considered buying which released on EGS have now been forgotten, Mech 5 Mercs as case in point.
GOG Galaxy 2.0 is the real news.

News Comments > After 14 Years, Black Mesa 1.0 Next Week

8. Re: After 14 Years, Black Mesa 1.0 Next Week Feb 25, 2020, 12:13 chickenboo

Yay, I've been waiting for this! Now to decide whether to finish my playthrough where I left off or start over to experience the little changes they've made since I played a year or two ago. I know they improved the AI on the grunts so that they don't simply rush me.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 18, 2020, 11:37 chickenboo

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 18, 2020, 11:25:
Can someone explain to me in non-league of legends speak what the hell that All-Female LOL is about?

I read it as the all female team sucks horribly and other teams competing against them were told to use non-ideal heros to try and get them to win?

From the article:
"The first all-female lineup to compete in the top division of League of Legends, Vaevictus, has been kicked from Russia’s LoL Continental League (LCL) after a series of poor results."
"Vaevictis was subject to prejudice from other teams at the start of last season with RoX and Vega Squadron both receiving warnings for gender discrimination and a lack of sportsmanship. Teams would regularly play off-meta champions when facing the female squad."

So it looks like the other teams were especially vindictive against this all-female team, and they decided to not play the meta-comp when facing them. That's pretty unsporting, and the natural result was poor performance. I can't think of a good analogy but I suppose it would be like going on field to find the other team subbed their best players for their kid brothers, and your team gets trounced anyways.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 12:10 chickenboo

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 11:59:
Yeah, skip the rewards. That's just wasted time and effort and it leads to inequity. And particularly as it applies to currency exchange. You have a lot of international readers where their money is weaker. $5US a month is a lot more for them so that's hardly fair. Why not just let people pledge whatever they feel like? A million readers even send you a buck and you're on easy street after that.

If you want to supplement income do some merchandise. Start simple with, say, T-shirts and coffee mugs. Do it on Zazzle or one of those services so it's made to order and your not stuck with inventory. I bet you'd sell a ton of those.

Agreed. Set up a simple merch store on Zazzle or something. As for tiers, that's one suggested way of doing it to make it easier to swallow asking viewers for money. Patreon is fundamentally a racket - a simple donation button via Paypal is just as effective - but if you're going the Patreon route just start the suggested minimum at $3/m or $5/m. It's still optional anyways, you're not locking people out of the website if they don't sign up...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2020, 11:54 chickenboo

I'm definitely most happy over 60fps, but I'll deal with 45+ if it means the settings I want. I tried playing AC Origins locked to 30fps for stability sake, but it just felt, I don't know, slow. I ended up beating the game with unlocked frames, and if that meant occasional dips to 35fps, so be it. Crappy DX11 implementation in that title anyways, there's almost no fix.  

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Offers to Help MS with Gears

12. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Offers to Help MS with Gears Feb 7, 2020, 14:05 chickenboo

Prez wrote on Feb 7, 2020, 09:03:
The offer "still stands" because they don't want your help Cliffy boy. He is the most "un-retired" retired guy in the world.

He's a retiree, give the old guy a break! He just wants an easy consultation payday with a cut of gross profit and a steady royalties/residuals! Also, get off his lawn

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 6, 2020, 13:18 chickenboo

That site is rife with bot accounts, spam accounts, state actors of dubious intent, and one particular bright-orange loudmouth. Can't wait to hear how they "monetize" their "user" base.  

News Comments > Warcraft III: Reforged Patch Plans and Refunds

22. Re: Warcraft III: Reforged Patch Plans and Refunds Feb 4, 2020, 17:33 chickenboo

Quinn wrote on Feb 4, 2020, 05:50:
I cannot stand this PR tone of voice anymore. I've become allergic to it. Fuck your thank yous to a community that's fucked in the asshole and angry AF. Just talk straight and stop lying. Creating more cutscenes similar to the one at BlizzCon 2018 was too much of a hassle; too expensive for the greedy corporate cocksuckers who have a tight grip around your balls. Just say so. The community will applaud you for it and you will immediately rise from the ashes.

Totally agreed, it's a steaming load of horse shit and treats their customers like morons. They must have a particularly dim view of us to expect us to 1) buy their unfinished, bug-ridden, promises-broken, chrome-driven menu "remaster" and 2) hang around waiting for updates to fix what should have been included in the game at release.

It's clear they simply farmed out the work on this to some studio in Malaysia who was the lowest bidder, told them get cracking, and then ignored the playtesters' concerns because they were out of scope of the budget, the execs don't give a shit about quality control, and they had to keep their shareholders happy and meet internal deadlines to meet revenue targets. WEAK!

321 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >