Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for chickenboo

Real Name chickenboo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 19, 2012, 18:37
Total Comments 225 (Novice)
User ID 57305

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Torchlight Free on Epic Games Store
32. Re: Torchlight Free on Epic Games Store Jul 17, 2019, 18:28 chickenboo

PoE didn't do it for me. Somehow a combination of grim-dark, resource management and how the game is tilted towards the unforgiving-sphere rather the forgiving sphere turned me off of it. I never played more than 5 hours of PoE, but have 100+ in Torchlight 2. I found TL2 to be the closest to Diablo 2 in my tastes. Vanilla TL2 is good, TL2 + Synergies mod + Synergies Loot is prime Diablo 2 quality, any other mods on top of that is gravy.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2019, 18:24 chickenboo

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2019, 16:55:
Apple is planning to buy up original podcasts with exclusivity in mind.

Can I see some EGS style outrage please?

my outrage is reserved for video games ONLY!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2019, 13:00 chickenboo

McBrowser, from McDonalds: the fast, privacy-focused, red-and-yellow themed browser!  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Roadmap
47. Re: Epic Games Store Roadmap Jul 16, 2019, 11:12 chickenboo

i hate that now even store fronts release in unfinished states and the company releases patch notes for daily/weekly updates to keep users enticed. "My favorite store is constantly improving just like my favorite game, Fortnite!"

next it will be netflix movies. they release it in quarters as they finish it. nobody has the time these days to watch an ENTIRE movie but they have time for the first 25 minutes of one!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 15, 2019, 12:17 chickenboo

That GPU degradation article was a load of crap. That headline rule where the answer to a question posed in a headline is always no, is true in this case as ever. That was a blatant clickbait title since his conclusion was performance improves for all cards. Should have titled it "GPU performance increases over time!" but that wouldn't generate clicks, so better to title it with a DOOM AND GLOOM headline to grab the eyeballs  

News Comments > StarCraft Cartooned Released
4. Re: StarCraft Cartooned Released Jul 11, 2019, 11:23 chickenboo

Xero wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 08:04:
It feels unnecessary but it's an easy buck for the developers when all they did was re-skinned the game.

I'm curious if this goes off the Starcraft Remaster or original Starcraft? Pretty sure Starcraft Remaster has access to higher resolutions and HD graphics. I own it and barely touched it so I forgot. I also have that WC3 Reforged pre-ordered. Hoping it turns out real good.

Waiting on Diablo 2 - Hella Hotter Edition.

I think this is for the remaster only. You'd have to pay $10 for this re-skin though. The audio doesn't change either, so you get the original gruff marines with cutesy graphics.

Diablo 2 remaster cannot come soon enough

News Comments > G2A Solicits Paid Unattributed Editorial Support
3. Re: G2A Solicits Paid Unattributed Editorial Support Jul 8, 2019, 17:35 chickenboo

Saboth wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 16:46:
What a scummy site. Glad I've never done business with them. It was apparent from the start they were shady. Of course many gamers don't care one bit and will still fork over the $$, even if it hurts developers.

just to play devil's advocate for a bit:
Of course many gamers don't care one bit and will still fork over the $$
this is competition, and it's resulting in lower prices for consumers. can't blame them for paying the lowest price!
even if it hurts developers
buy from EGS then and give publishers 18% more revenue so that their extra earnings can trickle down to the developer! ***the author of this post is being purely humorous

News Comments > Black Mesa Xen Open Beta Next Month
3. Re: Black Mesa Xen Open Beta Next Month Jul 8, 2019, 13:16 chickenboo

Don't want no beta, I want the full release! Still patiently waiting. Once it releases I'll play through the entire campaign again. fun!

Then again, those damn invisible acrobatic soldiers sections are really really difficult to do without cheesing the encounter...

News Comments > AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews
38. Re: AMD Zen 2 CPU Reviews Jul 8, 2019, 12:49 chickenboo

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 8, 2019, 10:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2019, 23:18:
After all this hyped, they are still not 1 inch closer to beat intel in games. At this point, it can not be the hardware, because in optimized tests it's 3% faster than intel in single core IPC. So is this a compiler optimization issue? Is there a review actually touching on this?

Also I wish benchmarks for CPU would include the end-turn time in Warhammer 2 mortal empires.

Hard to tell with initial reviews, goint to wait a bit and see what turns up. At least if money is an issue, AMD owns Intel.

We need frame time examinations. 9900k is +2.5% better at 1440p than the 3700X. In pure FPS that is absolutely negligible - you're going from 125 to 130, or from 240 to 243. But if 3700x provides a smoother game experience with fewer dropped frames and better frame times, the "lower" FPS would be worth it for a more stable less jittery game experience.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 4, 2019, 11:25 chickenboo

WaltC wrote on Jul 4, 2019, 11:09:
GPUs, like general CPUs, offer so much more performance per watt than they did 30 years ago that the two periods aren't really even comparable because GPUs are enormously better than they were! Back in the 2d glory days, a Matrox Millennium--*the* card to have in those days--would set you back $475-$600. When 3dfx debuted the Voodoo2, SLI (the original 2x SLI) it would set you back 2x $300--and, you still had to have a ~$300 2d card installed! Later, when 2d/3d cards debuted, even a 16MB (yes MBs, not GBs) Voodoo3 or TnT2 cost $300-$400 dollars.

As well, this article makes no mention of inflation; makes no mention of the fact that both AMD and nVidia share a few FABs together--etc. Guy who wrote this article doesn't have a clue, imo. The only really bizarrely overpriced cards selling today are the "top" nVidia cards--2080ti's selling for $1300-$1400--$3k Titans, etc. Online vendors couldn't get away with those prices if everyone was was savvy enough not to pay those prices...! It really is as simple as that.

Agreed, cards have always been expensive -- at least at launch -- and always will be. Now though, here in Canada, I can buy an RX 580 8gb for as low as $250 while the very best one, the Sapphire Nitro+, is a mere $289 Canadabucks! That's an excellent price for a 1080p card.

But if you want the cream of the crop or the top end of graphics cards, prepare to shell out $1000. Even the 2080 starts at $929. Granted it's probably at least 2.5x faster than the 580.

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact
184. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jul 3, 2019, 12:50 chickenboo

yeah i don't buy for a minute that the increased split is going to result in better games. all this will change is budgets will be decreased because the forecasted revenue will bank on the 88/12 split rather than 70/30. "Oh, you plan on collecting 88% of revenue instead of 70%? then we can reduce the budget to make the game by 18%."  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jul 3, 2019, 11:46 chickenboo

there is BAD metroidvania that indeed disrespects gamers time ( badly thought out save points, no teleports, shitty map with no markers that indicate certain power ups are needed )

then there is GOOD metroidvania that respects them ( example Bloodstained. Lots and lots of save points, can teleport back to base with an item, and also teleport points outside boss rooms)

is that game actually good and not a weaboo sidescroller? i tend to knee-jerk ignore anime-styled games.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 28, 2019, 15:40 chickenboo

Well I have to strongly disagree with you. I have long used Intel even though their price points pushed my spending limits. I started making AMD systems with the 2700x chip and people loved them and I now have a bunch of orders for the new chips to UPGRADE existing computers which NO Intel owner can do. Intel needs to drastically change their methods or they are going to be an also ran. Right now, there is not one Intel chip I would recommend to a client. I am not an AMD fanboy, I buy what is best for my clients and right now, it is not Intel. I hope Intel gets their butt in gear and becomes competitive again, but they need to start listening to the customers.

Agreed. Anyway, the "fanboy" insult is pretty childish when it's coming from the mouth of a guy who is using the absolute top-end chip from the competition, it's like a Maserati owner suggesting Ferrari owners are fanboy idiots. If you have the money to afford the very best-of-the-best, good for you, but comparing Intel's top chip to AMD's midrange offerings is not an even comparison. "I don't recommend Honda civics. I buy Maserati." Market segmentation is a thing, and at certain market segments AMD currently makes more sense than Intel does.

News Comments > Diablo 4 Speculation
27. Re: Diablo 4 Speculation Jun 27, 2019, 16:00 chickenboo

i don't care about diablo 4. didn't even play diablo 3. i just want a diablo 2 remaster!  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 27, 2019, 15:49 chickenboo

FloorPie wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 15:28:
"3. Don't be an idiot and buy games on release, be mad at yourself. "

Thats not very supportive of devs now! Buy those exclusives, buy those day one dlc's and season passes right away!

Don't for any reason wait 6-12 months to see how well a game pans out in support or even in advertised capabilities being true.

let's take that one step further and agree we should be pre-ordering the ultimate edition, and then buying mtx horse armors pre-emptively so we can enjoy the maximum the game has to offer on release!

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
4. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 25, 2019, 18:34 chickenboo

someone needs to do some solid statistical analysis of Steam sales and determine once and for all if sale prices and discounts have actually been declining. Reddit loves to moan about the quality of sales over the years, but it's often anecdotal. Maybe Doom is only discounted 25%, but the base price has fallen from $60 to $20, so it's on sale for $15, which is quite good. On the other hand maybe Skyrim GOTY was $5 back in 2014 but this sale it's $10.

I'm thinking a scatter graph might work... depends on what kind of data is available.

News Comments > Black Mesa Xen Gameplay Video
4. Re: Black Mesa Xen Gameplay Video Jun 25, 2019, 15:41 chickenboo

Xero wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 15:27:
I remember getting to the point of Black Mesa where it basically just ends because of the lack of "Xen". It's still an awesome game and probably the best part overall of Half Life-1. Never was much into the Xen portion anyway.

I for one actually enjoyed the Xen sections, up until that point we had largely been playing in enclosed bunkers, parking lots, offices, and the like. In 1998 it was especially thrilling, but of course now it's quite a bit more ho-hum. So count me in as excited about the Xen release, but I know I won't be playing the beta - I want the full release. Right before that I'll probably do another full replay of Black Mesa - it's that good.

News Comments > Heavy Rain Floods In
15. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 25, 2019, 11:49 chickenboo

Not a fan of quicktime events either. I watched my cousins-in-law play Detroit, it's interesting but it's not really my style of game. I suspect my wife would adore games like these though. Plenty of story and dialogue, forgiving gameplay moments, little in the way of excessive combat, multiple endings.  

News Comments > Steam Ubuntu Support Ending
21. Re: Steam Ubuntu Support Ending Jun 24, 2019, 11:56 chickenboo

I wonder if there's a quiz-style website for helping users to pick a linux distribution.

Intended use: Gaming / Working / Content
Motherboard Type and Socket: AMD AM4 / Intel LGA 1151
Video Card Type: AMD / NVidia

"Based on your selections of Gaming, AMD AM4, and Nvidia, we recommend X distribution based on these reasons: ___ "

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 24, 2019, 11:49 chickenboo

On my Andriod phone, I use Firefox for the majority of browsing, and launch Firefox Focus for web searches. I've been thinking about switching away from gmail though.  

225 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo