Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mordhaus

Real Name Mordhaus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 11, 2012, 06:23
Total Comments 139 (Novice)
User ID 57294

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Examined
10. Re: Star Citizen Examined Sep 23, 2016, 11:21 Mordhaus

The article could have been summed up in two words: feature creep.

The problem with SC is the same problem that destroyed other games and other developers, there was never a set design to follow. Initially it was supposed to be a dogfighting in space game with some decent MMO functionality and a single player component. That morphed into the beast we have today.

This is anything but unusual. When you have developers that find themselves with much more money than they anticipated and a hot IP, if there is no one to put a scope on the project and give it a defined end goal, the project can tank badly. I direct you to Duke Nukem Forever, before that Daikatana, later Spore (and to be fair, none of the Fable games ever matched the promised goals), and even Chris Robert's old game, Freelancer.

I admit that I bought into CR's hype, it had been a long time since the release of Freelancer and I had forgotten the clusterfuck he had with that game. Fortunately I got out with most of my money via refund when I realized that Star Citizen was headed in the direction of becoming Freelancer 2. CR is a great, visionary game maker. What he is not is a great project manager. Time and again he has shown this and we simply forgot. Freelancer went through IDENTICAL problems and suffered feature creep. It forced Digital Anvil out of business, hidden by the sale to Microsoft. It never lived up to the hype and promises, forced CR out of making games until Star Citizen, brought about the horrible movie Wing Commander, pretty much killed space flight sims, and will probably lead to our extermination someday when aliens discover we made it.

Was Freelancer a good game? It was fun, sort of ok, but it was the No Man's Sky of it's time. Star Citizen is going to make NMS look like a AAA game by the time it is finally released in whatever semi-complete form it ends up in. I can almost guarantee it will be sold to another game publisher before it is complete and they will force an early release to recoup their money. Am I happy about that? Not really, because I wish that the game could be everything that it was promised to be. If I am wrong about the end result, I will give CR my money and eat crow, but I have a pretty fair feeling my crow cravings are going to go unmet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name
13. Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 21, 2016, 22:22 Mordhaus

Automakers, inspired by Blizzard's announcement, have today announced a re-branding of their products as well.

Ford CEO, Mark Fields explained the move. "People get confused with all these individual names for our products. They don't understand the difference between a 'Focus' or a 'Mustang'. This confusion with our identities have led us to decide to make things easier for the public. Moving forward, we will simply use the term 'FordCar' for cars, 'FordTruck' for truck like vehicles, and 'FordUte' for utility vehicles."

GMC has applauded the move and plans on making similar changes to it's naming schemes.

Perhaps trying to maintain some separation from the US based manufacturers, Toyota and Honda have issued a joint statement indicating that they "...will not be dumbing down our brands simply because Americans are incapable of paying attention."

In unrelated news, a small coalition of people are pushing for the comedy 'Idiocracy' to be re-classified as a documentary.

News Comments > Street Fighter V Patch This Week
1. Re: Street Fighter V Patch This Week Sep 18, 2016, 16:18 Mordhaus

Pff, still no PC netcode fixes, PC crash fixes, PC controller lag fixes.  

News Comments > DOOM Update Plans
5. Re: DOOM Update Plans Sep 9, 2016, 10:53 Mordhaus

The rampant unaddressed cheating drove most of us off. Hopefully the private servers will help fix that.  

News Comments > ARK Expansion Follow-up
23. Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 20:29 Mordhaus

I think there is a bit of confusion as to why people are going 'ape shit'.

It isn't that they released an expansion. It's because they released an expansion while the base game is still in dire need of optimization and bug fixing, which they are allowed to get away with because of being 'Early Access'. As another poster mentioned, if they would stop adding new things and simply FIX the things needed to be fixed so that the game could be moved out of EA status, there wouldn't be this big of an outcry.

Another minor reason is because they are not willing to admit they released this content because they settled on a multi-million dollar suit.

tl;dr

Fix the game first and admit the cash grab, problem solved.

News Comments > ARK Expansion Follow-up
4. Re: ARK Expansion Follow-up Sep 6, 2016, 10:46 Mordhaus

tl;dr version

We settled a huge lawsuit and needed money.

News Comments > Mother Russia Bleeds Released
4. Re: Mother Russia Bleeds Released Sep 6, 2016, 02:13 Mordhaus

In Soviet Russia, Mother makes you bleed.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year?
32. Re: Star Citizen Squadron 42 Next Year? Sep 4, 2016, 21:02 Mordhaus

This announcement makes the small indie team of no mans sky happy. Time to lose some of their heat for an unfinished game that didn't meet the hype.  

News Comments > ARK Expansion
11. Re: ARK Expansion Sep 2, 2016, 03:53 Mordhaus

The main issue is that Steam is not enforcing any Early Access rules. A game should absolutely not be able to release DLC or Expansions while it is still in Early Access. As long as Steam allows it, developers like this will exploit the system to continue making money on a buggy product.

The saddest thing is, they will sell copies of the Expansion because ARK has a really large Asian fanbase because of the PVP elements and the ease of exploiting in multiplayer.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation
26. Re: Star Citizen Gamescom Presentation Aug 20, 2016, 17:57 Mordhaus

1. Most of us are tired of complaining about a game that is still in the Alpha phase.
2. The new Metallica video dropped and it is AMAZING! Who can be mad at a time like this?

News Comments > PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans
22. Re: PC No Man's Sky Three Day Delay; Server Wipe Plans Aug 6, 2016, 23:53 Mordhaus

This game makes about as much sense as the new Joker.  

News Comments > DOOM: Unto the Evil Released
7. Re: DOOM: Unto the Evil Released Aug 4, 2016, 22:19 Mordhaus

Now if they would introduce some damn anti cheat software and ban some people.  

News Comments > Everest VR Released
1. Re: Everest VR Released Aug 2, 2016, 20:49 Mordhaus

Does this VR also include a hypobaric chamber to simulate the blood in the lungs edema and a frostbite module?  

News Comments > More Overwatch Bans
7. Re: More Overwatch Bans Aug 1, 2016, 23:11 Mordhaus

Blizzard bans, hilarity ensues.  

News Comments > BioWare Forums Closing
13. Re: BioWare Forums Closing Jul 30, 2016, 03:20 Mordhaus

I'm sure they just don't care to get slammed when people determine ME4 sucks worse than ME3. Plus, they will just offload the forum duties to EA's generic forums, which are moderated tightly to prevent any negative messages.  

News Comments > Arthas Statue
7. Re: Arthas Statue Jul 20, 2016, 21:53 Mordhaus

Wonder what it drops?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
14. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 16, 2016, 20:21 Mordhaus

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 19:53:
...offering the chance to play Star Citizen for free and check out progress on the crowdfunded space game...

loooooooooooooooooool@progress

It's still a single star system and for every player a single instance with a 24 players max cap. The barebone and backbone of anything resembling a MMO is still missing after 4 years.

OK, they have finished a couple more ship JPEGs in the last few months but anything of actual substance is still a no-show.

What's also interesting is that CR has begun to openly talk about a "minimum viable product" instead of continuing to tout the "fideliteh", "immershun" and "never been done before" horn as he did the past four years.

They are also in the process of changing their video web shows including the cancellation of 10 for the Chairman.
So CR is pretty much removing himself from the forefront of the hype train and sneaking out the back door.

In fact, they are generally on the lowdown this year with no major "super-exciting" events, reveals or any of the other retarded shit they always did the previous years in spite of the fact that Squadron 42 should be very close to release by now (it still has not been officially delayed from its 2016 date).

Also, more key personnel departures lately (art director Mark Skelton)... if you ask me, something fishy is afoot and it is getting increasingly stinky.

It's almost like someone is preparing for a "here is a couple missions of Squadron 42 single player and as you all know we never promised more than that anyway... the MMO could not be done because of Derek Smart so you can thank him for that... oh and thanks for all the fish... laters gators!".

It will most likely end up like Freelancer. Roberts will sell what they have managed to complete to a larger studio and then ride off into the sunset for another couple of years, until he decides to make another movie or game. He is certainly a visionary, but without someone to check him, he simply can't set a finished idea and complete a project. When he was at Origin, he didn't have complete control.

When he and his brother formed Digital Anvil, the first game they made was co-developed with another studio, so he again did not have total control. Freelancer was totally in his control and after he couldn't deliver everything he promised, he sold it to Microsoft.

Freelancer was a decent game, but it was no where near the level he promised. I think whatever form SC ends up in will be decent, but it won't have most of the promised features. I suspect once he sells out, we will get a SP version with some MP functionality, but that MP will require dedicated servers and will likely only encompass a few systems until modders get involved. We will also likely see an FPS, but it will be separate and will not be part of the SP/MP game.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
9. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 16, 2016, 18:52 Mordhaus

Star Citizen - The Search For More Money  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Trailer
22. Re: Battlefield 1 Trailer Jun 13, 2016, 06:06 Mordhaus

Tyrric wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 19:45:
Ant wrote on Jun 12, 2016, 19:07:
So, no PC port?

They have it up on the Origin store.

I'm definitely interested, but I hate the way EA has started forcing players to update their graphics drivers in order to play their games. I've been using one of nVidia's that came out over a year ago, it still works fine, and I don't see the need to update to a driver that has issues...

Yeah, I hear you. I would love to get the game but it's only on Origin for PC and EA has the new driver policy. Guess I'll have to give it a pass like ME4 unless they change something.

News Comments > Blood Kickstarter Possible
4. Re: Blood Kickstarter Possible Jun 6, 2016, 10:30 Mordhaus

Rather see a remake of Shogo Mobile Armored Division  

139 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo