Limit Results:

124 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: NVIDIA 30 Series GPUs and New Reflex Drivers This Month
Sep 3, 2020, 12:11
Re: NVIDIA 30 Series GPUs and New Reflex Drivers This Month Sep 3, 2020, 12:11
Sep 3, 2020, 12:11

Slick wrote on Sep 1, 2020, 20:43:
Also, I am so not down with using DLSS as a metric. Might as well use Ray Tracing as a "standard measurement" lol. ... Let the street fight happen where it needs to be, traditional rasterized performance

Why? If (as in Death Stranding) DLSS is a faster and better-looking way of generating 4K of pixels than native rendering, why should raster performance be deemed the only metric of value?

Nor is ray tracing just about reflections. It enables much better GI/AO, which has huge knock-on effects in terms of what can be done with dynamic environments and lighting, and the dev cost of creating and lighting worlds. In terms of the kinds of games that you would buy a card like this for, DLSS and ray-tracing are high-value additions; they provide functionality orthogonal to that of rasterisation - and functionality that will soon be taken for granted in AAA titles aimed at the PS5 and XBox1X1Xbox1X or whatever it is.

Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Trailer
Jul 24, 2020, 06:46
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Trailer Jul 24, 2020, 06:46
Jul 24, 2020, 06:46

STALKER was probably the biggest disappointment of any game I can recall. Except maybe Asheron's Call 2.

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Jul 15, 2020, 17:40
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 15, 2020, 17:40
Jul 15, 2020, 17:40

Beamer wrote on Jul 15, 2020, 14:03:
I mean, but do they respect authority?

If Trump had told them to wear masks at the outset, they would absolutely have done so. There would have been beefy guys with AR-15s and camo gear in actual gas masks outside every store to protect decent hard-working Americans from those work-shy mask-refusing liberal snowflakes. I guarantee it.

The problem Trump supporters have with high-profile doctors (and scientists in general, though the left has its own special problems with science at times) is that doctors and scientists don't respect the chain of command. They'll just flat out say you're wrong if that's what the best evidence suggests, and authoritarians don't know what to make of that. You're not supposed to be able to become an authority just by studying a lot of books and test-tubes; authority is something you're supposed to be invested with by the people's trust.

Evidence and theories and statistics are one thing, but the fact is, you're not supposed to undermine the leader, because faith in the leader, faith in the chain of command, is what holds the world together. Anyone who would do something like that is clearly disloyal at the best of times, let alone during a crisis when authoritarians look to their leader more than ever.

So when Trump says C19 is a Democrat hoax and an epidemiological expert contradicts him, that's a de facto challenge to Trump's authority - which means it must be political. It must be a power-play. To consider the alternative - that Trump was (as usual) blithely, confidently, ruinously wrong and was always unworthy of the faith invested in him - is not just unpalatable but disloyal and treasonous.

Jul 15, 2020, 12:46
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 15, 2020, 12:46
Jul 15, 2020, 12:46

Beamer wrote on Jul 15, 2020, 12:26:
Most Western nations aren't overly Christian anymore. And it's weird how conservatism has been co-opted with Christianity here.

I think there's a reasonable inference of overlap in this case.

Also weird how imposing your religious beliefs on others is ok, but telling someone it's homophobic to think two gay people should(n't) be allowed to marry isn't.

That's just it, though: conservatives are complaining that it is currently permissible to condemn someone as homophobic to encourage them to change, but not to proselytise.

No one is asking Christians to marry someone of the same sex, or asking churches to do it, but many Christians fight to keep it outlawed.

Because they believe it's the right thing to do, and they don't agree with the moral utilitarianism mathematics that tells you they're wrong to do so.

Honestly, I think being called a homophobe, and being able to change, is better than being told that you're going to burn in hell, or that 9/11 was God's punishment on the country for your existence.

Maybe, but for some people that change is a pretty big deal. If you're worried about hell and you think you've got avoiding it figured out, it can be a big ask to just toss that aside.
Even leaving religion out of it, conservatives think about things differently. They respect discipline and authority, which are two sides of the same coin: discipline in its transitive form is the willingness to be cruel in order to keep someone on a safe, well-trodden path, and respect for authority is the willingness to accept that cruelty in the spirit it is intended. That's just how some people work. It's hard to be told that the path isn't terribly important or that the cruelty or threats of cruelty that kept you on it were misguided. In some cases, maybe as hard as being told that your attraction to members of the same sex is misguided.

I'm not saying bigotry is right. I'm saying it can be understood without necessarily lumping everyone in with Hitler.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2020, 13:08.

Jul 15, 2020, 12:12
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 15, 2020, 12:12
Jul 15, 2020, 12:12

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2020, 11:59:
I guess you missed the liberal mobs out there over the last several weeks rioting, burning, destroying, and looting private property.

I don't often resort to memes, but:

https://149391556.v2.pressablecdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/IMG_2987.jpg

If you want people to limit themselves to protesting peacefully, one option is to actually DO SOMETHING in response to the peaceful protests.

Jul 15, 2020, 11:48
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 15, 2020, 11:48
Jul 15, 2020, 11:48

Beamer wrote on Jul 15, 2020, 10:58:
It's weird. I keep hearing how conservatives are censored, but I've yet to see anyone "censored" for wanting to be taxed less or believing in reduced federal government.

In fairness, I can appreciate why some conservatives feel that way. The left would like to believe there's no ambiguity: if you're gay or trans or whatever, that's what you are, and as long as it doesn't hurt anyone you shouldn't be treated differently. Which is a completely reasonable, watertight argument from the perspective of a moral utilitarian.

What's equally inarguable is that being (say) a Christian brought up to believe that homosexuality is a sin or that failing to accept Jesus puts your immortal soul in peril, or even someone raised to believe in the superiority of a particular ethnic group, can be every bit as core to someone's identity as being gay or trans. Being told you can't express yourself because a utilitarian morality you don't agree with says so is inevitably going to feel like censorship. Why should they be able to publicly condemn me but not the other way around?

Personally, I think the reason the left has developed an image problem, and why it's losing the battle in more and more Western countries, is that it's looked at the two sides of the conflict as outlined above and decided "Well, according to our rules, we're the good guys and they're the bad guys, so we get to be mean to them" rather than focusing on finding effective ways to convert people to the cause. Which failure has led to more and more ideological purification, infighting and ineffectiveness.

Jul 15, 2020, 10:51
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 15, 2020, 10:51
Jul 15, 2020, 10:51

WaltC wrote on Jul 15, 2020, 09:42:
Yes--it's weird. Only hate I see anywhere comes from the left. If you don't think like they do, they hate you.

Some on the left are like that, for sure. But I think it's a stretch to say that's the only place hate comes from - and an oversimplification on all sides to reduce all negativity to 'hate'.

Re: Saturday Consolidation
Jun 20, 2020, 21:31
Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 20, 2020, 21:31
Jun 20, 2020, 21:31

I don't own a PS4 so I've had to watch it being played, like I did the first one. In all honesty, I think that if what you take away from the story being told is that "gay is okay" is being rammed down your throat, you have crit failed your first few years of being a human.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Mar 20, 2020, 18:17
Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 20, 2020, 18:17
Mar 20, 2020, 18:17

You still have to use the mouse to use Chrome, so you have to count the time it takes to move from mouse to keyboard back to mouse.

Generally I also type the first couple of letters of the website I want to visit straight after launching Chrome, so by the time my hand is back on the mouse I'm already reading the page anyway.

That said, I shouldn't have lead with 'quicker'. It's just the way that feels the least effort to me. I like not having shortcuts littered everywhere. I like not having to go look for things to click on.

Mar 20, 2020, 12:33
Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 20, 2020, 12:33
Mar 20, 2020, 12:33

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 12:23:
Really? I use those tiles for all the stuff I use/play all the time.

Nope. I don't even have shortcuts on the desktop. It's just quicker and easier to mash windows key/C/Return to launch chrome than it is to do it with a mouse.

Mar 20, 2020, 12:17
Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 20, 2020, 12:17
Mar 20, 2020, 12:17

In six years I have literally never clicked on anything on the right hand side of the Win10 start menu. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've clicked on things in the left-hand list. I run everything by hitting the windows key, typing a few letters, and hitting return.

Re: Evening Patches
Mar 17, 2020, 10:58
Re: Evening Patches Mar 17, 2020, 10:58
Mar 17, 2020, 10:58

Ha! Tha't amazing. Didn't think anyone would still care.

Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M
Dec 2, 2019, 07:20
Re: Star Citizen Passes $250M Dec 2, 2019, 07:20
Dec 2, 2019, 07:20

Watched a couple of streams of it for a while during the free fly. One guy was sitting in a turret shooting at a twinkly dot surrounded by hud brackets. The laser pulses were square-ended and had no motion-blur so they just seemed to sit like Minecraft Steve's arms either side of the screen every time he pulled the trigger. Eventually the dot blew up, producing an expanding, flat rectangle with a tiled explosion texture on it. Then another dot appeared, flew up and rubbed its nose all over the hull nearby like a drunk Quake player trying to get through a door, before jerkily reversing.

The next guy spent five minutes landing. In fairness, a minute of that was his ship standing at a 70 degree angle a few feet from the ground on a couple of little blue pilot lights creating no downdraft while he talked about how much he liked the little blue pilot lights.

Literally better than any other game ever made.

Re: Valve Fighting EU Antitrust Charges
Aug 30, 2019, 05:47
Re: Valve Fighting EU Antitrust Charges Aug 30, 2019, 05:47
Aug 30, 2019, 05:47

Slick wrote on Aug 30, 2019, 00:48:
funding their lawyers to skirt as many fair practice pro-consumer laws as they can for as long as possible.

Except this law has no consumer benefit, because it prevents publishers discounting titles in poorer EU countries. What do you want them to do, discount thousands or tens of thousands of units in UK/France/Germany to chase a few hundred in Bulgaria?

It's an unfortunate conflict between ideology and political reality. The EU wasn't supposed to have any poor countries; that was the point. Free trade within the bloc wouldn't be disruptive because everyone would be on decent wages and have decent standards of living. But the political reality was that it's had to accept countries that don't fit the profile in order to keep them western-aligned. So laws like this, that ideologically should be fine, end up being a bit of a facepalm.

Re: Activision Blizzard's Layoff Logic in Question
Mar 3, 2019, 15:25
Re: Activision Blizzard's Layoff Logic in Question Mar 3, 2019, 15:25
Mar 3, 2019, 15:25

I know it's tempting (not to mention fashionable) to ascribe this kind of thing to rampant egocentric greed at the executive level, but in this case nothing could be closer to the truth.

Activision might best be imagined as a kind of flaccid, bloated tick, siphoning nourishment from a procession of hosts. The culture of entitlement at the highest level is difficult for ordinary people to imagine. This (to the best of my recollection, direct quote from inside the company prior to purchasing King) might give some kind of insight: "We haven't had our Clash of Clans moment yet."

Nobody on the board of that company gives one hot shit about games or the people who make them. Now, apologetics will be quick to point out that the board is not supposed to prioritise such things. Their fiduciary responsibility is to the shareholders, and any care shown for the product or producers is necessarily secondary. All will be well if you diligently pursue profit.

But that's horseshit. If you do not care about your product or your workers then you do not understand what you are doing or making. Which means you cannot be an effective, responsible custodian. It means that any idea that isn't "Let's make another CoD leveraging cutting-edge microtransaction strategies to maximise ROI" doesn't even parse, let alone feature in decision-making. They don't love games, so they don't understand WHY people love games, so they have no idea how to prolong that love affair. The only reason anything good has ever come out of Activision is the perverse dedication of the designers, artists, coders and producers labouring to deliver something they can be proud of and tricking their overlords into letting them do it.

Re: Can You Actually See Ray Tracing?
Jan 15, 2019, 14:58
Re: Can You Actually See Ray Tracing? Jan 15, 2019, 14:58
Jan 15, 2019, 14:58

It's worth remembering that artists and art directors deliberately work around the limitations that they have. Simply put, if something specifically needs ray-tracing (or ray-traced AO or whatever) to look awesome, it won't be there in the base game for RTX to work with when you switch it on.

It's like the way Doom (original) just doesn't look that great no matter how many modern switches you pull. IIRC it didn't even have any transparent surfaces. Doom (latest release) on the other hand looks amazing, because it was built with a different set of assumptions.

It might even be something entirely different and unexpected that falls out of RTX. Remember when we could have games that looked nice, or games where the environment was dynamic, but not both? I think judging the technology just now might be premature.

Re: Out of the Blue
Nov 23, 2018, 17:11
Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2018, 17:11
Nov 23, 2018, 17:11

We do know that it was us who scorched the skies.

Re: Evening Interviews
Aug 1, 2018, 07:35
Re: Evening Interviews Aug 1, 2018, 07:35
Aug 1, 2018, 07:35

MattyC wrote on Aug 1, 2018, 03:59:
John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory explained this phenomenon ~14 years ago. At this point I think it is really more of a law. No further extrapolation is necessary.

I laughed at that one at the time too. But it's not really an explanation, more an observation of correlation.

I don't turn into (more of) a dick online. I think to start to understand those who do, it's only necessary to listen to them: you'll often hear how their behaviour is fine because it's just 'an outlet' or 'a release' or 'blowing off steam' or 'venting'. LOTS of pressure metaphors. The implication is that not only do they feel under a lot of pressure in their life (of the kind touched upon in the article: pressure to 'man-up' or otherwise meet societal or familial expectations), but that they see that as a normal and acceptable state of affairs to which 'venting' is a normal, acceptable counterbalance. Asking them to stop is like telling an institutionalised lifer his yard privileges have been revoked - when really all anyone wants is to knock down the jail.

Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals
Jul 17, 2018, 10:33
Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals Jul 17, 2018, 10:33
Jul 17, 2018, 10:33

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 16, 2018, 15:53:
dsmart wrote on Jul 16, 2018, 12:19:
For the record, since 2015, I have WARNED that this is where things would be headed once it became clear that they could NEVER ship the games promised.
Yet all of the content shown so far is far in excess of what was originally promised.

Okay, can't let that one pass.

At no point have they delivered in full what they promised for the amount of money or time they said they needed. Never. As of right now you do not even have the experience promised you in the original kickstarter for $2M, let alone the $5M and $6M stretch goals.

Moreover, if you actually go and look at the original pitch, the scope of the game hasn't increased all that much since. A lot of implementation details have been filled in, and a lot of systems have been overhauled two or three times in an attempt to make them fit for purpose - all of which makes it LOOK like the scope is increasing, but by and large they're still chasing that original $2-6M goal.

Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games
May 22, 2018, 17:12
Re: Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games May 22, 2018, 17:12
May 22, 2018, 17:12

CJ_Parker wrote on May 22, 2018, 16:17:
jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2018, 14:08:
Valve's Unannounced Top Secret Games

Just had a terrible thought:

Half-Live: Battle Royale

You mean you had a REALISTIC thought?

I mean, seriously, does anyone really believe a new HL would even have a single player campaign? Like really really?

LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL

Yes. And if you thought about it for a moment, you'd believe it too. Valve is not publicly traded. They have plenty of money. If for some random reason they decided to make a BR game, why would they attach the HL brand to it?
124 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older