Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Phasenoise

Real Name Phasenoise   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Phasenoise
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 8, 2011, 00:48
Total Comments 135 (Novice)
User ID 57213

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition Plans
16. Re: Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition Plans Jul 6, 2016, 17:16 Phasenoise

I've grown fond of Geralt's attitude towards everything.

My favorite line must be "You don't need a hero. You need a professional."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evolve Countdown
5. Re: Evolve Countdown Jul 6, 2016, 11:15 Phasenoise

Evolve still makes me sad.
The DLC and pricing was bad enough, but also lack of design forethought killed it too. When one side is just one player, your ability to balance anything becomes nigh impossible. I watched some twitch streams to see if I'd like the game and every time it was:
20 minutes of chasing around.
3 minutes of a fight, wildly lopsided in one direction or the other, totally dependent upon monster player skill.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm DirectX 11 Patch on PTR
8. Re: Heroes of the Storm DirectX 11 Patch on PTR Jul 6, 2016, 09:17 Phasenoise

Yeah, I'm starting to think people sobered up from the "direct to the metal!" fervor.

There are reasons we had higher levels of abstraction, and those reasons still exist. It's hard enough for *GPU vendors* to write a code path to optimally use their hardware. Asking game devs to do it well for current AND future cards - good luck with that.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm DirectX 11 Patch on PTR
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm DirectX 11 Patch on PTR Jul 5, 2016, 23:22 Phasenoise

Because DX12 is basically crap.

I'd like to see Vulkan supported though, although much of the same problem applies there (game developer needs to know ins and outs of the cards).

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2016, 12:50 Phasenoise

They *do* detect bots and exploits, they do ban people using them, and they do sue companies which make them.
I'm not trying to say blizz or overwatch is perfect, but I don't recall playing an online FPS with a smaller number of cheaters.

Not everything happens client side. It's a predictor-corrector model, where the server validates everything based upon its actual server-side game state. Latency critical things (like hitscan weapons) are "guessed" by the client, but the server can and does override it.
And again, putting the calculations on the server doesn't protect you from aimbots either.

News Comments > Blizzard Sues Over Overwatch Cheat?
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2016, 10:26 Phasenoise

I think you're confusing blizz with ubisoft. Blizz has great anti cheat, verifies client actions server-side, and is aggressive with bans. From Ars:

And you couldn't accuse Blizzard of not being thorough; one user reported that he couldn't play Overwatch after his ban despite reformatting his entire PC, changing his hard drive ID, his MAC address, the BiosDate in registry, or even after he bought a new VPN.

They're doing this over the "look the other way, sell another license" ploy of other titles.

News Comments > PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing
13. Re: PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath Closing Jun 18, 2016, 09:28 Phasenoise

EQ was unbelievably player-hostile. Generally you had fun because you were in some sort of shared-trauma situation with several other people.
The time it required to do anything was intense, whether it was waiting and hoping for a rare spawn, or just getting somewhere.

And it actually got worse the more hardcore you were. Everything required a ton of work from you, and you HAD to keep up with your guild or you were just F'ed. I saw it destroy lives at a horrible clip.

What it DID have is a sense of accomplishment. This game did not in any way spoon feed you anything, and quite to the contrary, it tried to kill you with the spoon regularly. Just getting TO a raid was often very complex and dangerous.
As such, the community was real. These were people you fought along side, or often competed with. Remember, no instances. All of you are in the same dungeon. "kill stealing" is a real thing.

No, I would NOT recommend you play it. You won't get a player to level 20 without losing your mind at the glacial pace.
You'll also be surprised at the complete lack of any concessions to player comfort. Die? All your stuff stays on your corpse. Under the thing that just killed you already. You lose experience which took you hours (days, later in progression) to get.

Oh, it's a feisty bitch. Which is why that remaining group loves it. WoW it is not.

News Comments > PC Destiny Still Possible
44. Re: PC Destiny Still Possible Jun 17, 2016, 15:41 Phasenoise

Awesome, about as timely as making a Warcraft 1 movie after even the World Of Warcraft interest faded to its lowest level.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Adding Lando & Bespin
5. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Adding Lando & Bespin Jun 17, 2016, 12:31 Phasenoise

They are altering the deal.  

News Comments > The Division Underground Details
7. Re: The Division Underground Details Jun 15, 2016, 12:47 Phasenoise

It's waaaay too heavily tilted towards rogues, specifically rape ambush gangs.

I'd be totally down with fun shootouts against rogues. But, that basically never occurs due to the mechanics which overwhelmingly favor ambush ganks.

So yeah, I don't bother going in the Gank Zones anymore, it's just absurd.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 12, 2016, 13:13 Phasenoise

I really wish Pelosi and Feinstein would just retire. Please.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 10, 2016, 19:44 Phasenoise

I don't teach my kids to say please to routers, canopeners, webservers, TV remotes, dishwashers, etc.

They all do useful work, but... they're not people. And my kids do actually understand that, because they aren't stupid.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
2. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jun 8, 2016, 14:31 Phasenoise

So very close to being ready.

DAMN YOU (AVATAR and) WINDOWS 8.1. DAAAAAAMN YOUUUU!!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 7, 2016, 19:27 Phasenoise

Can we just slap the new breed of ultrapuss who think voice acting is stressful or dangerous, and skip a State Probe?

My god we must be out of real problems.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Delayed?
39. Re: No Man's Sky Delayed? May 26, 2016, 18:59 Phasenoise

I think the point is that you need to have something that is engaging for an extended amount of time.

If exploring is really fun, then great. If it's just seeing something with purple flowers instead of orange 1000x over, no, that doesn't hold interest very long.

Super Giant World / Universe games always have that problem. In theory it would take you a lifetime to see everything. But, effectively you've seen everything it has to offer after seeing 1% of it, the rest slight variations on what you've already seen and done.

Perhaps this will be different, but there's too much precedence in this category to assume it would be different.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Conflict Update
15. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Conflict Update May 25, 2016, 14:42 Phasenoise

Yeah, it's quite a stretch to be sure. I also agree it's not very clearly explained, even WITH a lot of the audio stuff.

I finally connected some more of the dots (such as they are) upon redoing several missions. It doesn't make the plot more sensible, just explained slightly better.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Conflict Update
11. Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2016, 10:09 Phasenoise

The Half Elf wrote on May 24, 2016, 22:36:
Darks wrote on May 24, 2016, 22:31:
In the end this game is still shit.

The game and game mechanics of the game are just fine, but they really painted themselves in a corner story wise.
The Story is quite believable until you get to the Last Man Battalion which is some sorta army of average citizens, except the have APC's Humvee's, beyond high end military hardware (talking Bruce Wayne sorta shit) and no government agencies thought they might look into this group?

Imagine Gotham City in the last Batman movie (cut off from the outside world) and somehow in the city of New York there is a private army that has (again) Bruce Wayne level of tech just showing up out of the blue.

I'm not going to defend the story itself, but what you write is not the story. The LMB is a private military company - professional soldier mercs, paid for by wall street to protect their interests in NY.
They got screwed and felt betrayed by how things actually went down, and joined up with the rogue first wave agents who were also pissed (Keener and friends).

Not saying THAT is believable / possible. But they have military gear, because they are military. The government would love to look into this group - which is part of the point of the entire game. Getting back control of NYC which is under control of rogue agents and a PMC.

News Comments > DOOM Released
107. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 09:42 Phasenoise

People wanted to shit all over this new Doom, and are frustrated that it is actually pretty good.

The despair at not being able to do so is upsetting for those who derive more pleasure from complaining than actually playing games.

News Comments > DOOM Trailers
23. Re: DOOM Trailers May 12, 2016, 09:57 Phasenoise

MacLeod wrote on May 11, 2016, 23:00:
I swear when that robot is talking about the upgrades, it sounds like Peter Cullen's voice (Optimus Prime)

Isn't it Lance Henriksen?

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine This Month
9. Re: Any mods to change playable character? May 11, 2016, 13:59 Phasenoise

I'm mostly concerned that you find Geralt feminine looking. He's 180 lbs of scarred muscle. With a beard.  

135 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo