Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Saboth

Real Name Saboth   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2011, 00:22
Total Comments 588 (Apprentice)
User ID 57205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2016, 19:19 Saboth

Pigeon wrote on Sep 28, 2016, 14:21:
I notice a lot of sorta fast food restaurants have a place for a tip on the receipt or order screen now. I can't help but feel like this is just trying to squeeze extra money out of people or a way to keep advertised prices down while making it up in tips. There is no server like in a traditional restaurant, you order at a counter, get your own drink, and seat yourself. Maybe someone brings your food to you, or buses the the table after you leave, but not always. So I'm hard pressed to figure out what you're tipping for. That they make the food you already paid for? Or, considering you tip before you receive any service in these circumstance, is it 'don't spit in my food' protection money?

Yeah, if I actually get my own food or beverage, I rarely tip. Just making my food or drink is what you are paid for. The reason servers get tips is they make like $2.50 an hour. Anyone making burgers or working the register make regular wages. The only exception is a local Japanese place I get takeout from, I leave a dollar in the jar just because.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland 3 Announced
25. Re: Wasteland 3 Announced Sep 28, 2016, 19:12 Saboth

I thought Wasteland 2 was just OK. The variety of loot was pretty low, and combat was basically either running up to someone and hitting them with a hammer or shooting them with a rifle. I think I really liked the first half and the last half was somewhat monotonous. They need a much bigger variety of skills and abilities.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 25, 2016, 14:05 Saboth

My guess is Hillary will explain many facts, figures, logical plans and world knowledge, Trump will throw out a few things his trainers just told him that sound correct but are merely half-truths, while attacking Hillary over non-issues like Benghazi or emails. Trump will start sweating as he looks worse and worse, he'll suddenly forget all of the information he just crammed in the past week, his face will go blank, and he'll start mumbling "muslimswallbenghaziemailmexicanschina" for five minutes until he leaps off the stage in a flying body press, landing sideways on Mark Cuban.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 25, 2016, 13:39 Saboth

El Pit wrote on Sep 25, 2016, 13:23:
It's good to see Divinity: Original Sin 2 up there. If it is as good as the first one, I will be very happy with that they have done with my kickstarter money!

I recall last time it paid to wait (if you are looking to save money). I believe I saved about $10 over Steam's release price by going to GMG right when the game was released. I think there were other deals as well, so people that preordered ended up paying more than everyone else that waited, and they were not happy. Larian has given deep discounts depending on if you own their previous games. I'm not sure if they'll do that again.

News Comments > Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated]
104. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 16:59 Saboth

Redmask wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 08:38:
I don't like "The Donald" but given the choices here people don't have much to work with. Clinton represents even more years of the same political malaise, corruption and financial deregulation that people often blame the republicans for. No fucking thank you, between the pair of them I'm not sure there's one human heart that can relate to you or I. You can't even say Clinton stands for anything, shes all over the place on her voting record and has been involved in numerous scandals. "The Donald" stands for Not Clinton which is enough for many people.

It is a real shame we did not get Sanders, it's a fucking depressing state of affairs.

It's like saying you are really tired of boring old water, so you are going with raw sewage. Sorry, that's the level of leadership Trump offers, plain and simple. The man is a snake oil salesman. A grifter. He's not even a successful businessman. His knowledge of the world and politics is on the level of a child. I don't support Hillary one iota, but I honestly wouldn't give Donald Trump $100 to invest for me, much less control of the most powerful nation on Earth. If a random Ronald McDonald actor was running against Trump, he would get my vote. The fact that so many people are willing to vote for a pure con man with zero qualifications for president says to me that something is really wrong with something in our society. I don't care about any of the charges of racism or bigotry against Trump. The man's sole claim to fame is a bunch of failed businesses, and his supposed wealth. Yet he won't even show us that wealth, because he refuses to release his tax returns. Because they will show he probably has 1/10 the wealth he claims to have.

His ideas such as his tax plans are shockingly naive and terrible. His tax plan will be one of the biggest giveaways to the rich in history. Just because he says things like "the rich are making out like bandits, and you guys are getting the shaft because of trade agreements" doesn't make him fit for president. That just means he recognizes a simple truth. His companies uses foreign labor, and he pays his employees peanuts. Why do people think he would actually try and change anything once in office? He's one of the people he's complaining about! It's like one of the biggest scams in history, and millions are falling for it.

So, Hillary is a liar and you can't trust her. She's mad for power. She'll sell her soul to the highest bidder. She'll probably get us into more useless military conflicts, just like GW. She doesn't care about gay people, black people or probably any other minorities unless they are giving her money. Yet she's STILL 500% more qualified than Donald Trump for this position.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2016, 17:08.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 24, 2016, 16:50 Saboth

It's probably hard to program in the fact about 50% of people have no business driving, and another 30% are just selfish or bad drivers. I've been at a stoplight where people turning left from the oncoming directly will continuously run a red light for like 5 seconds after our light is green. People sit there and wait, with a green light, for 6-7 cars to finish blowing through a red light.  

61. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 08:26 Saboth

Slick wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 08:16:
Ulster wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 07:23:
There is little doubt that we are heading for real civil unrest. The signs are all there - the absolute and curious inability to find common ground, the wars against police, and the general hatred you see in threads like this all across the internet. You know, Trump supporters are retards and Hillary supporters are liars, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

How did we get to the point where 33% of our population hates another 33% of the same population to this degree? I can assure you that we in the remaining 34% are shaking our heads in disgust.

I swear, it's almost like trolling has become mainstream.

It's really because the president for the last 8 years has been (half) black. That's really it. HE, like Bill Clinton before him have generally improved the big picture stuff like the economy, the environment, and social justice. The fact that when the country was ACTUALLY falling apart back in 2008 after 8 years of Bush Jr, this level of civil unrest didn't exist. Sure people were pissed, but they were optimistic, hopefully for a better tomorrow. Now after 8 years of slow progress (GOP blocking Obama at every turn), there's some real metrics to compare how the country was doing in 2008 and how it's doing in 2016. But for some reason the mass shootings have skyrocketed, the right has gone off the deep end, the left is more neutered than ever (not to mention the new breed of college liberals who are just the worst), and people "feel" like everything is unravelling.

Look at the numbers.

Not everything has been fixed, but Obama got the ship back on tack, that much in undeniable. Well, if you care about facts.

The republicans said that Obama's plans would skyrocket the unemployment from 11% to 20%. During the Republican 2012 primaries, the competitors were claiming that they'd get it down to a whopping 6%. it's now under 5%.

Also what's funny is in the 2012 election cycle, all of the republicans were attacking Obama for the price of gas being so high, and that he would make it $10 a gallon. Today it's $2 a gallon. It's the lowest it's been in a couple decades. I know he had nothing to do with it, it's OPEC, the President doesn't actually control everything. But still, it's just funny how little facts the GOP has to argue with against Obama's policy platform. And since they're stubbornly unwilling to evolve or change with the times, they're backed into a corner, and the only thing they can come up with is outrage, blind fervent outrage, mixed with a healthy helping of racism, bigotry, sexism, and xenophobia.

Well said. The most hilarious thing about all of this is when Trump and the GOP speak and say things like "we really need to fix this Obama Economy" or "This country has been destroyed by Obama." Ermm, no, it was destroyed after the GOP had control of House, Senate and Executive for almost two full terms and we got embroiled in multiple trillion-dollar wars, the economy crashed, Obama was left with a 1+ trillion dollar budget deficit after Republicans went on a spending spree then CUT TAXES?? Just about everything they try and lump on Obama was their doing, and then they had the audacity to refuse to pass legislation to fix any of it, until we give them the reins to the country again. Even going so far as to shut down the government until their "demands are met" and they "get concessions", like some three year old holding his breath for a cookie. It practically makes steam shoot out of my ears to think about it. Also, when you say Obama had nothing to do with lower oil prices, that is mostly true, but one thing that destabilizes oil prices is constant wars and conflict in the Middle East, and he's kept us out of any major wars, and hasn't unseated any dictators, leading to the rise of ISIS and other terrorist groups (ahem, GW Bush). So that might have helped slightly to keep gas prices down.

56. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated] Sep 24, 2016, 08:05 Saboth

Pretty much every single poll we've seen that puts Trump and Hillary close was done over landline phones. Who do you know that still uses landline phones? Your grandparents? Who says they are voting for Trump? Your grandparents. I don't think this race is anywhere as close as the media portrays. It needs to seem close to keep people interested and to keep getting page clicks, so they ramp up the hyperbole. There is a huge swath of young voters and millennials that aren't even accounted for in these polls, and young people tend to vote democratic.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 14:40 Saboth

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 13:48:
ItBurn wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 13:19:

Why are you even on this site if you're not a PC gamer?

Presumably because you can enjoy PC games while simultaneously thinking many self-identified "PC gamers" live in an echo chamber of their own making. I don't own a gaming console, and haven't since the N64/PS1 days, but Pachter definitely described PC gamer "culture" to a T.

I think he's correct about them being arrogant, but obviously wrong about "twits". If they were arrogant twits, then they would think their platform is superior, but also be deluded. However, since PC gaming actually is far superior to console gaming in most aspects, they are correct in their assertion, and merely being arrogant about it. Even the new Xbox and PS4 that are supposedly 4k ready are probably around 50% or less as capable as a good gaming PC.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2016, 19:10 Saboth

I've got 2 trees in my yard I want to get rid of. One is a chestnut tree, that drops little spiked balls all over the yard that are akin to mini maces with hypodermic needs on them. They can basically go through the sides of your shoe and when pricked, it itches like crazy. They also clang around inside the lawnmower. The other is some kind of giant tall tree that overhangs my neighbor's property. The previous neighbor offered to go in 50/50 on getting a guy to cut it down, and I agreed, but she sold the house before we arranged it. I'm not sure the new neighbors would go for it, and I don't want to put the notion into their head that I'm willing to cut down that tree and then have them expect me to pay for it (it will be at least 1-2k).  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 System Specifications
3. Re: Battlefield 1 System Specifications Sep 19, 2016, 20:40 Saboth

i5 6600K is the minimum? I'm sure processors from 2-3 generations ago will work, but it's unusual to list such a new and higher-end processor as the bare minimum.  

News Comments > Digital Homicide Sues Steam Users; Gets Dropped by Valve
17. Re: Digital Homicide Sues Steam Users; Gets Dropped by Valve Sep 17, 2016, 14:40 Saboth

From what I can tell, these aren't just users that bought a game and left a negative review. This is a group that has banded together and goes to every video, every blog, and every forum just to slam the developer with negative messages, reviews, whatever. Basically since this developer had some kind of war with that youtube guy (sorry, don't think Jim Sterling is all that), these guys have decided to publicly attack this developer at every opportunity, sometimes using facts, sometimes just making up stuff.

I bought some game from this developer that was on sale for .99 (after playing it, I'd say it's worth a dime), some time during or after that tiff with Sterling. The forum for this game was flooded with these guys, attacking the dev and the game, despite never playing or buying it, and just making up stuff (I knew, because I had played it). Since I didn't care about the developer or Jim Sterling, these guys were pretty obnoxious.

So on one side is some kind of crazy developer that makes shovelware (or at least generic games that get tedious after 15 minutes), and on the other is some kind of gamergate-type group that attacks the developer every chance they get, sometimes making up stuff to drive away business.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 16, 2016, 20:48 Saboth

The muni broadband is just mind-blowing to me. Since the "free market" was not fulfilling the needs of this town, they made their own internet. Then some neighbors said they'd like to get in on that action, but lobbyists have written legislation that was rubber stamped by state legislators that forbid it. It's like if the town decided to plant their own crops then had a plentiful harvest, they decided to sell some to their neighbors, but bought-and-paid-for legislators say it's forbidden, they have to buy from "Crop Corp." at 4x the price.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 14, 2016, 22:27 Saboth

Oh well, guess I'll uninstall Geforce Experience. Basically just used it to make a few crappy videos.  

News Comments > Ember Released
8. Re: Ember Released Sep 9, 2016, 23:55 Saboth

What the heck, I'm in too. Looks pretty good, and I'm a sucker for the "labor of love homage to old school rpgs".  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 9, 2016, 16:27 Saboth

Cable and satellite companies have been fighting this tooth and nail, to their own detriment. The reason I cut the cord and stopped giving money to Comcast and DirecTV is all of the outrageous rental fees. I was paying more in box rental fees than I currently pay for Hulu/Netflix/Vue. They refuse to allow you to buy their boxes so that you are perpetually giving them hundreds of dollars per year in fees. If there was a way for me to buy my own box, or use an app on Roku, I might actually subscribe to them again! Yet these monopolies just don't get it.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 8, 2016, 22:31 Saboth

The fault here still lies with the bank and the higher ups. The only reason these low level employees did this is because the management told them they have to sign up X many customers for credit cards, savings accounts, etc., or risk their pay, or jobs.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 6, 2016, 13:26 Saboth

We had a similar problem with Comcast for about a month. We recently cut the cord and went streaming-only. Our data usage went from about 300 GB to 600 GB a month. Not too long afterwards, we replaced Sling TV with Playstation Vue, and our usage was over 1.3 TB for the month. It's interesting that the story above states it took them weeks to figure out the culprit, because I did it in one night. Just unplugged each device one by one, then ran to the office to check current data usage (had about 8 devices to go through) on the router. In the end, it turns out that Playstation Vue doesn't seem to ever stop streaming if you simply turn the TV off. You need to manually go back to the home screen or put your device into sleep mode in order to stop it from streaming 24/7. I think Sling stopped streaming after a period, or asked you if you are still watching.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 4, 2016, 18:33 Saboth

I don't see anything worth spending $800 on. Show me some kind of Witcher 3/Skyrim-level game in a full VR world, and I'll think about it. Office simulator or ball bounce simulator with Wii-level graphics and game play doesn't interest me.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 1, 2016, 19:06 Saboth

"users will now be able to pay $10 a month to skip ads entirely". These companies are insane. No one is going to pay $10 a month to watch CBS content. Or if they do, it will be a one time deal where they pay $10, binge, then cut the service until next year. Netflix/Hulu makes sense at $10, because you have access to thousands of shows, movies and multiple genres. HBO makes sense because you get new premium movies every week. These companies need a reality check if they think people are going to pay $10 a month for one network channel. $1-$2, maybe.  

588 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo