Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Saboth

Real Name Saboth   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2011, 00:22
Total Comments 565 (Apprentice)
User ID 57205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > CD Projekt Worth $1B
34. Re: CD Projekt Worth $1B Aug 30, 2016, 19:59 Saboth

jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 13:23:
Slashman wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:24:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 05:31:
Slick wrote on Aug 29, 2016, 22:09:
if for any reason I want to try-before-I-buy, then I absolutely have no qualms about going that route. There's MANY reasons to do this, not the least of which is the wide variance of PC titles quality. I also have no reason to get refunded steam credits by returning it (I buy in bitcoin, can't be refunded), I'd rather just buy what I want to buy. If we can take a $40,000 car for a test drive, there's no reason not to do so on a $70 game.

I just stick to the old scene addage that if you enjoy the product, fucking buy it!

While it sounds like you're mostly doing it "right" I'll just point out this: I suppose you swipe some spring rolls, curry, and sticky rice from the new Thai restaurant that just opened nearby to make sure that it's a place you want to patronize. Also, you "borrow" some fresh produce from the farmer's market to make sure it's good and fresh before you actually plunk down $ for your weekly allotment, right? I just want to make sure you're being consistent across all industries.

And your analogy is wrong. Unless he is materializing exact duplicates of the items from the restaurant and supermarket without actually removing anything from their stock, then there is no comparison. And since that's impossible, you really don't have much of a point here.

While it's true they're not completely analogous, someone put work into making that food, and whether we're talking about food or games, if you steal the food or pirate the game, you're not compensating them for their labor. And if labor isn't worth paying for to you, please put your money where your mouth is and come clean my apartment, and I will proceed to not pay you for your labor. PM me for my address. Thanks.

I agree. For almost every business, labor is the number one cost. So a game has no physical substance, so what? A car costs as much as it does because of the hundreds of thousands of hours of labor spent designing it, testing it, writing code for it, and putting it together. Why is a game something that should be free just because there is no physical copy? You are stealing the labor, which is just as bad as stealing a physical copy. In today's age of youtube, instant reviews on gaming sites, instant steam reviews, refund policies, etc., there is no excuse to pirate a game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Intel CPUs Revealed
13. Re: New Intel CPUs Revealed Aug 30, 2016, 19:51 Saboth

Simon Says wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:40:
MajorD wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 11:33:
It boggles my mind they will be down to 10nm lithography by next year. WOW!

My current CPU is 32nm, which was impressive at the them....and still is I guess.

What boggles mine is the ridiculous performance increases we saw since the 7 years old 45nm Lynnfield. Running an i7-870 Xeon equivalent here ( X3470 ), I checked the leaked scores, seems like the X3470 @ 12% OC ( 3.6ghz VS 3.2ghz stock boost speed when all cores are running 100% ) runs just short of it and blows it away at a 25% OC ( 4ghz ). Last I checked it was tying in most benchmarks with the i5-6500 @ 12% OC and leasurely outpacing the i5-6400 at stock speeds.

Compare the last 7 years with the 7 years before that ( 2009 vs 2002 ) and you get a whole different picture.

Intel has been sitting like a fat Jabba the Hut on its laurels. Its a joke.

Until last year, I was running an i5-750 @ 3.6 ghz for probably 5-6 years. I upgraded to an i5-6600 and overclocked it to 4.6 ghz. The performance increase was disappointing. I'd say around a 30-40% increase in general. Better than nothing, but growing up, if you waited about 6 years between CPU upgrades, you were looking at an increase of probably 100-150%.

News Comments > CD Projekt Worth $1B
6. Re: CD Projekt Worth $1B Aug 29, 2016, 20:48 Saboth

Pirates will do anything to rationalize their grifting, while the rest of us purchase games and keep the industry going. They are the "deadbeat roommate's friend that has been on the couch for a month but hasn't chipped in a dime towards the utilities" of the gaming world. One studio's success despite piracy is not an example that piracy doesn't harm the industry. It's like pointing at Mark Zuckerberg and claiming everyone that creates their own business is going to make it big.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 28, 2016, 11:58 Saboth

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 28, 2016, 11:17:
I bought a PS3 copy of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen a few months back, finally got around to actually playing it... the game is actually really good! Minor Consolitis of course.

Unfortunately the PS3 version is 720p, and my eyes are sending me hate mail. How is the PC port? Assuming it scales up in resolution, I may have to pick that version up instead. Steam reviews are pretty damn favorable. Are the Mouse/KB controls tolerable, or does it require a gamepad?

Also, keep selling tons of copies, No Man's Sky... when I pick you up in 6 months to a year I expect a vastly improved game.

Pretty sure I played with M+K and had no problems. I think the only game I ever felt the need to use a controller was Dark Souls.

I played at 1440 resolution with options turned on and FPS was usually 100-130 range.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 27, 2016, 21:26 Saboth

WaltC wrote on Aug 27, 2016, 07:32:
No company with a brain is going to pay a 100M-dollars out just because the highly politicized FCC says it should...;) Apple wouldn't do it--nobody would, either. FCC is going to have to either prove its case in court or else drop the issue entirely. I really get sick of stupid web sites with an ax to grind against private companies like AT&T--not that I'm crazy about AT&T, of course...;) But Ars is making something of a completely normal event that Ars is attempting to miss-characterize. There's no story here atm.

And, sorry, but there is no way that 5 partisan political appointees can ever hope to adjudicate ~250,000,000 Internet users in the USA...;) Not gonna' happen. The FCC is a holdover from the 1920's or thereabouts...! Stupid (D)'s however, remain clueless and endlessly seek to turn the Internet into a political body that acts outside of common-sense business methods.

ISPs and telecoms have spent hundreds of millions over decades entrenching their power and positions, paying lobbyists and politicians to prevent competition. The internet is now a utility, like it or not. You need it for your school, your job, paying your utilities, communicating with people and thousands of other activities. It's been long overdue for these companies to be regulated. People that cry out for the free market to solve every problem haven't paid attention that we don't have a free market, and never have.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 27, 2016, 16:13 Saboth

Wonder why the JD Power survey shows cord cutters are the least satisfied. I've had Comcast for about 10 years, then DirecTV for 2 years, and watched as my bills kept going up every year. I was paying about $90 13 years ago for TV and internet, and by this year, that was $215 ($80 a month for Comcast, $135 for DirecTV). We downgraded to 25mbps internet only and got Vue, Netflix, Hulu, and I feel like my viewing choices are even better than before, and we are saving about $100 a month.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2016, 20:37.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown
7. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 25, 2016, 19:21 Saboth

Weird, the countdown end time is 4/25/2039.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 24, 2016, 20:55 Saboth

Bodolza wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 14:02:
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:26:
Uh 4th Amendment anyone?

The Supreme Court has decided that the Constitution doesn't apply if you're within 100 miles of the border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Martinez-Fuerte

Yet another huge blunder by SCOTUS in recent years. Corporations are people, money is speech, and there are certain areas in the US where the Constitution is null and void.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 23, 2016, 21:29 Saboth

The Gawker situation was deplorable. I visit a lot of progressive blogs, and it was shocking how many people considered it to be only a nasty gossip blog. True, it did have stories like that, and the readership was really upset at the Hogan and Thiel stories when they were published. However, Hogan getting 140 million was probably one of the worst judgements I've heard of. True, his career was harmed because the spotlight was shone on him, but that wasn't because of the sex tape. He fell out of favor due to his racist rants that became public. That's when he was dropped and no one would touch him with a 10 foot pole. The fact a millionaire or even a group of millionaires can come together to put a news organization out of business with frivolous lawsuits should be frightening to everyone.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Next Month
9. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Next Month Aug 23, 2016, 19:40 Saboth

NetHead wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 12:50:
Cutter wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 19:39:
Love the TB combat. The rest of the game was meh. Just really unfocused, too large and spawling. Everytime I had to take a break from the game and come back to it I was completely lost in where I was going and what I was doing so had to start over and by the third time I just couldn't bother. Let's hope this game is a lot tighter and better focused.

The first was a bug riddled broken mess in many regards, which made it all the more annoying since I waited for the Enhanced/whatever edition, then waited for it to be patched a few times before jumping in, it even got more patches during my playthrough which had as much impact as farting against the wind.

The thing was so bug riddled I stopped keeping track when I could have easily filled a double sided A4 page with succinct bug lists, and they just kept coming.

The crafting is beyond a sad joke, it's unbelievably bad. Then to top that off it ties in with awful vendors compounding what was already and unbelievably bad joke far beyond a sorry excuse for a crafting system.

I think I made a post here before explaining the crafting nonsense, it's horrific and should not have been allowed into the game in such a state.

There were two more problems (one related to skills and bonuses based on what you say, forcing you/your character to either "say" X or risk loosing bonuses/stats whatever, great RPGing right there) and another, but by half way through I had started filtering out so much of the bugs and failures I can't remember them well enough to explain them properly now, this was almost a year ago.

The thing is it was otherwise a good and fun game for the most part, which made the mild and horrific failures and library of bugs all the more annoying. To be clear though, the failures weren't just bad in comparison to the good parts, they were horrific by any standards. If they had hired an outside, inexperienced, competing studio to "bolt on" things like that excuse for crafting I would still have expected worlds better results. (maybe it was a kickstarter promise they knocked off in an afternoon while having drinks and joking about what they were doing)

The game could have been really good, the kind that you point back to wanting more, if the end result weren't so similar to a great sommelier trying to serve a good looking bottle of urine.

Weird, I can't recall a single bug, and played it as soon as it came out, and beat it a few weeks later. No crashes, no issues. Loaded it up against as the enhanced edition and played maybe 10 hours and never ran into any problems.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: AT&T says LTE can offer up to 1Gb Aug 22, 2016, 19:39 Saboth

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 18:14:
It never WILL, of course. Haha. 1Gb speeds, please. You will pay 80 dollars for 500K and LIKE IT!

But it could!

"The good news is we have now cracked the 1 Gbps barrier! The bad news is you just went over your data limit after 3 seconds."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 22, 2016, 19:36 Saboth

Reminds me of my place of employment. Over 300 employees and they don't even have an HR person. They figure they'll just "get by". They pay bare-minimum wages for management positions, then wonder why projects take 2x longer than they should, or thousands of dollars in screw ups happen daily. For floor workers, you can make more just working at Subway or Burger King, and probably with better benefits, yet they demand 100% perfection at all times.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 19, 2016, 21:36 Saboth

"The deal is $70 for gigabit download speeds and unlimited data". That would be sweet. Since Comcast has zero competition in my city, it's $50 a month for 6 down, $60 for 25 down, $70 for 75 and about $80 for 105.

Still better than surrounding counties though, where po-dunk cable companies offer $100 for 25 down.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 14, 2016, 11:53 Saboth

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 21:14:
Saboth wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 19:04:
"Under American law, authorities can seize cash and items of value if they are believed to be ill-gotten, even without filing any criminal charges." Yeah, it's a really F'd up law that should have been stricken from the books long ago, and goes against everything this country was founded upon, and it's even more messed up that we are now applying it to people who aren't even American citizens.

Right, that whole civil forfeiture law has got to go. I read a case where a woman and her BF had $30K in cash they'd taken out of his retirement account and gotten onto a bus (one way) to go to CA to buy a truck and get an apartment. The government now watches those purchase and one-way trips paid by cash will get you pulled off a bus and searched (which in and of itself needs to be illegal. That's profiling). They took the cash because she'd had a prior drug conviction, even though she didn't have any drugs on her this time. They just assumed the money was for drugs and took it. Took her 1.5 years to get the money back, even though they had the withdrawal statements from the bank. Guilty until proven innocent. WTF.
Sometimes people never get their money or items back. No charges filed, no evidence presented, the money or items just "disappear". People without the resources can't hire lawyers to get their property back, and cops know it. Since you don't have to present any evidence, charges are never filed and it never goes to court, it's left to their volition of they want to take your stuff.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 13, 2016, 19:04 Saboth

"Under American law, authorities can seize cash and items of value if they are believed to be ill-gotten, even without filing any criminal charges." Yeah, it's a really F'd up law that should have been stricken from the books long ago, and goes against everything this country was founded upon, and it's even more messed up that we are now applying it to people who aren't even American citizens.  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
19. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 12, 2016, 21:22 Saboth

Steam reviews are not good. Lots of crashing, poor FPS, etc. Full reviews don't sound that good either. Huge universe to explore, but not much to do. Ability to upgrade weapons, etc., but nothing to fight, or no reason to fight. Lots of stuff to farm, but no goal in farming. If you simply like to wander around big worlds and look around, it fits the bill. Sounds like a $20 game to me.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 9, 2016, 20:17 Saboth

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:52:
The older I become, the more I am convinced that the US is becoming a corporate fascism.

Pretty much. It's kind of a semi-religious oligarchy ruled by plutocrats. Once the government went under the control of corporations and special interests, it was all downhill from there. The whole "just keep deregulating corporations and wait for the trickle down that is due any day now after 35 years of waiting" wasn't very good for the country.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 28, 2016, 19:26 Saboth

Hmm, so where do I sign up for my $30?  

News Comments > New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced
24. Re: New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced Jul 22, 2016, 15:45 Saboth

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 15:25:
AmericanWulf wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:59:
MacLeod wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:42:
Can someone actually explain the Titan to me? I don't get it.

According to videocardbenchmark, the TitanX has a lower G3D Mark score than the 980ti, but is over 3x the cost.

the titan series of cards are geared more for the content creators, the graphic artist, or the power needed for graphical rendering. It is really not marketed nor designed as the ultimate gaming/gamer card, never has been.

Right here right now it is being marketed as the Ultimate with no boundaries attached.

Yes this isn't a bargain card, it's a BMW... my Corolla can hit the speed limit, keep me cool and do well at the pump. But some just want more even if it doesn't make price/performance sense, news at 11.

I think it's more like taking a 455 hp, $60,000 Corvette, fiddling with the computer, giving it 546 hp, then charging $120,000.

News Comments > New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced
17. Re: New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced Jul 22, 2016, 14:17 Saboth

I'd assume at that price it is dual core (although I don't see any mention of that), and has at least 2x the performance of a 1080. But it says 11 TFLOPs while the regular 1080 is 9 TFLOPs at 1/2 the cost, so looks like you'll get like ~20% better performance for 100% more money?  

565 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo