Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Saboth

Real Name Saboth   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2011, 00:22
Total Comments 688 (Apprentice)
User ID 57205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
3. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 26, 2017, 07:27 Saboth

It's probably not as bad as it seems, because the Witcher 2 and 3 probably drove thousands of people to buy many more copies of his books than would have been sold otherwise.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Year Five
63. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 25, 2017, 12:02 Saboth

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 11:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 09:35:
Amazingly, it was the Freedom Caucus saved the ACA, for now. If you had told me prior to this past week I'd ever be thankful for the Freedom Caucus I would have laughed out loud. However, my appreciation is tempered by knowing why they were against the bill. They want even LESS health coverage. They don't think the government should be in the health care business. If the Freedom Caucus had gotten what they want, it would have made the Trumpcare replacement look grandiose.

Since it didn't go to vote we are unsure, it was leading up to them being pretty much the sole reason, but rumors/reports stated the reason it didn't go to vote was there were in the end even more moderate conservatives against it and didn't want to expose so many people. Can't validate, not sure care too much, it failed, they failed, it was a terrible plan for us Joe's, they were in a lose-lose and came out with a lose.

They started losing moderates at the end because they decided to start scrapping stuff like protection for preexisting conditions. Freedom Caucus wants every bit of Obamacare eliminated, and we go back to the bad old days of insurance where you pay $100 a month for junk coverage that doesn't cover anything, and insurance companies only cover healthy people, then toss you off your coverage if you get sick. Moderates weren't on board with that, so once Ryan started trimming those kinds of things, they lost more votes than they gained. Turns out people really like a lot of things that Obamacare did, much to the dismay of the GOP. It was also hilarious to hear Trump trying to lay blame on the Democrats. Bud, your party has a *majority* in both House and Senate. The Dems recognized it was pos legislation (like most of the country did) that you guys threw together at the last minute (despite having 7 years to craft it), and it was terrible for everyone in the country except the rich. Why on Earth would they vote for it? Extremely embarrassing for the GOP and conservatives that voted for them.

54. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 25, 2017, 08:52 Saboth

jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 00:19:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 25, 2017, 00:02:
Only time will tell if Star Citizen or the Trump presidency were the largest con jobs of our generation...

(sorry, I couldn't resist -- feel free to ignore me)

Speaking of Trump, the ACA lives.

Thank goodness. If the GOP had just tweaked it for the past 6 years instead of trying to symbolically repeal it 50+ times it would probably be some pretty darn good legislation right now. It was never meant to be a "one and done" deal. Who thinks you can change the healthcare system for an entire nation of 320 million people and get it right in one shot? The GOP's great at whining about the work everyone else is doing, but when it came time to do work of their own, they crashed and burned. Which was a huge relief to the nation in this instance.

News Comments > Battle Brothers Released
2. Re: Battle Brothers Released Mar 24, 2017, 20:56 Saboth

Looks like a game I'd enjoy, but that price point seems pretty steep for a game that looks like that.  

19. Re: Star Citizen Year Five Mar 24, 2017, 20:55 Saboth

{PH}88fingers wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 20:13:
For those keeping count, latest 7 months funding:

August 2016: $4,200,000.00
September 2016: $2,100,000.00
October 2016: $5,000,000.00
November 2016: $7,750,000.00
December 2016: $3,000,000.00
January 2017: $1,750,000.00
February 2017: $1,900,000.00

So they are incentivized to drag out development as long as possible, because as soon as the game is finished, that unexplainable cash flow stops or subsides.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 22, 2017, 19:54 Saboth

This one seems like a foregone conclusion. There's virtually no way to stop it. The GOP was more than happy to sell off our information to 3rd parties. I'm sure they are logging it all for law enforcement too.  

News Comments > The Surge in May
2. Re: The Surge in May Mar 17, 2017, 19:45 Saboth

"SUUUUUUURGE!"  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 4, 2017, 19:44 Saboth

I thought it was going to be a straight up RPG set in a unique world, but it sounds like like an interactive novel with colorful backgrounds. Maybe when it's 75% off.  

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial
11. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Free Trial Mar 4, 2017, 19:40 Saboth

"sandbox MMO"..."Episodic Content". Meh and meh. Was excited when I thought we were going to get a new single player RPG. Don't like the online, social aspects, pvp and episodes.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 4, 2017, 12:52 Saboth

The interesting thing to me about this isn't that Uber was trying to hide from law enforcement, it's that law enforcement had sting operations, undercover agents, burner phones and huge programs to "infiltrate" Uber, because regular people on the street use the app to give rides to other people for a few dollars. It's not a cocaine operation that spans the globe. To me, it all reeks of protectionism for the cab industry, probably pushed by lobbyists. We really need to be spending millions of taxpayer dollars to protect an entrechned industry from competition? I understand issuing cab medallions because of congestion and traffic, but if those aren't major issues for an area, I don't see any problem with ride-hailing apps and the people using them that would require massive government operations.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 3, 2017, 18:01 Saboth

Lock him up!

Republicans' hypocrisy knows no bounds. Half of Trump's administration is using personal email for government business and Trump's using an ancient unsecured phone for communication, while talking about top secret information in public restaurants. Meanwhile Republicans aren't concerned that it seems Trump's entire administration has been in talk with the Russians, while Russia was actively helping him win the election, then after the election, he promised to lift sanctions on them. Hell, that's treason!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 3, 2017, 17:58 Saboth

Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 12:32:
When is is ever a good idea to buy refurbished anything?

I don't do it very often, but the several times I've done it, I've never had a problem. Got a $200 dehumidifier for about $45, and got a 9.8" Amazon tablet for like $60 that was normally $150.

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
15. Re: On Sale Feb 25, 2017, 08:45 Saboth

Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 02:59:
I do not know the nitty-gritty details of the overall case, but from a cursory review, Zenimax's accusations are flimsy. Their primary charge is that John Carmack willfully stole id's C++ VR source and then repurposed it for Rift development; which is all kinds of level of stupid.

That kind of accusation does not work on Carmack because his name is at the top of a small list of game developers who invented the FPS genre. He (not Bethesda; not ZaniMax) figured out HOW to create 3D environments for gaming. John began and ended his gaming career at id. For 22 years he iterated upon his knowledge of 3D engine development and his style for programming. How he wrote his code became indistinguishable from the system itself. So when John took the job at Oculus, and they needed a 3D VR engine, Carmack's engine would share similarities with id's C++ VR.

ZeniMax is trying to separate the MAN from the CODE. In John's case, they are mutually inclusive. He cannot change the way he writes his code much like a musician fundamentally cannot change how they get inspired to create music. So this establishes a precedent that shows there's a clear difference between accusing a programmer of ACTUALLY stealing proprietary code (e.g. download from id's servers to repurpose) versus writing code from scratch and the results look very similar to another company's proprietary system. Bottomline, ZeniMax is conflating based on innuendo and conjecture. (e.g. "tinfoil hat society")

The bigger problem is this legal battle took place in a courtroom with decision makers who have no experience with the subject matter they must judge. This is Ted Stevens' "Series of Tubes" and "the Internet is not a dump truck" levels of ignorance. Imagine a judge ruling on a case involving patent infringement against "the probability of the Yukawa potential in the relationship between quantum physics and thermodynamics in the realm of string theory." The judge would be like, "Can I please just check my email and play some Candy Crush?"

The point is the judicial system is not technologists. They do not speak the same language. So how can they possibly be the right choice to understand all the required tribal knowledge and nomenclature of developer and programmer talk to reach a wise conclusion? This fact frustrated Carmack when his appropriately justified rant on Facebook shows he apparently wanted to school the prosecutor's "expert" witness but could not because the people in court could not understand Carmack's points.

As a Web UX developer, thinking back on my 19 years in the IT industry and knowing how professionals create signature patterns in their career (myself included), ZeniMax is wrong with their accusations. However, it does not matter because apparently, ZaniMax had better lawyers who spoke the judge's language better -- something Carmack could not.

Sorry, guys. This topic makes me sad.

Yeah, I never understood how someone can claim bits of code. It's nothing but another language. It's like a book company suing another book company because an author wrote '"You've got to be kidding me," he said."' in another book. There's only so many ways to write something. You've got to use the same function calls and syntax no matter where you work. Now, if Oculus had thousands of lines of exact code that was obviously copied and pasted out of programs he wrote for someone else, I could maybe see making a case of it. But a programmer is going to code the same way no matter where he works.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 25, 2017, 08:19 Saboth

Everyone's panicking about Cloudbleed, but for me personally, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. I think I might have had 1 or 2 accounts on the list of compromised sites (like Fitbit), but I haven't even logged into them for a year. Everyone's screaming "Change all of your passwords!" Errr...that would take several hours, even with a password manager, then I'd have to go through and relogin to all of my accounts on other PCs, laptops, tablets, phones, gaming systems, Rokus etc., which is a huge hassle. I guess if you have simple passwords or use the same password on multiple sites, it makes sense to change them all, but important sites like banking, investing, etc. don't appear to be on the list of compromised sites.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 25, 2017, 08:10 Saboth

Orogogus wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 20:45:
The most well-known portion of the privacy order requires ISPs to get opt-in consent from consumers before sharing Web browsing data and other private information with advertisers and other third parties. The opt-in rule is supposed to take effect December 4, 2017, unless the FCC or Congress eliminates it before then.

Pai has said that ISPs shouldn't face stricter rules than online providers like Google and Facebook, which are regulated separately by the Federal Trade Commission.

That's kind of... well, insane. Who believes that Google and Facebook have equal access to your data as your ISP?

Republicans refuse to recognize internet service as a utility that is a basic necessity (plus most of them are about 50 years behind on technology since they are like 90 years old.) Facebook is an optional online service that no one needs. I need my ISP for my employment, so when my ISP is keeping tabs on me and selling my personal data, I don't like it, but I don't have a choice since they have a monopoly in my city. If I don't like Facebook doing it, I don't sign up for Facebook.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2017, 19:43 Saboth

It really blows to see years of struggle and progress made on net neutrality, privacy rights, etc., thrown away in one election. No, ISPs should not have the right to sell your information, because the internet is now a utility. It's like saying the water or electric company should be able to sell all of your private information. Even if every town didn't have a monopoly or duopoly on internet, it's guaranteed that all ISPs would try and sell this information.  

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 8, 2017, 20:19 Saboth

Step 1: Lie and claim our election was filled with fraud, so you can exercise greater control over future elections.

Step 2: Dismantle the agency that detects and prevents fraud.

Step 3: Rig the next election.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 6, 2017, 21:27 Saboth

ledhead1969 wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 20:04:
http://bit.ly/2kfnKPA

http://for.tn/2liw7eh

Ohh, and let's not forget that these 'poor' people probably have cars, cell phones, air conditioning, free education, a place to live, computers, consoles and the list goes on.

Yeah, so what? Trade agreements have given us a lot of cheap junk and trinkets. Our minimum wage should be 2x what it is now, housing is unaffordable for many, healthcare is becoming unaffordable (or already is, depending on your income), food continues rising in price. But as long as they have have a cell phone, they must be living the good life. Internet today is a necessity, whether conservatives want to admit it or not. Which they won't, because they are bought and paid for by the telecoms and cable companies. It's why the FCC just got gutted. All in the name of monopolies and profits.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2017, 22:30 Saboth

Redmask wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 22:15:
Quboid wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 15:15:
Why don't you speak up? Are you happy with what's being done in your name? Moderate conservatives need to act.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

If you think Trump is evil you're one sheltered little butterfly. Moderate conservatives already spoke up, that's how we got here. I suggest you buckle up, it's going to be a long ride.

Yeah, I agree completely. I don't think I'd call Trump evil. Mike Pence is pure evil. I'd say Trump is more selfish, unqualified, ignorant, racist, fascist, sexist, deluded, untruthful, orange-tinted, blubbery, old, insecure, hypocritical, uncommitted, gullible, temperamental, disreputable, deceitful, crooked and corrupt.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 31, 2017, 20:33 Saboth

Cyber security is a scary space for Trump to be operating in. He absolutely does not understand tech, and he doesn't care one iota for constitutional protections or privacy. Back doors, government-sponsored malware...it's all going to get approved. There's a reason he admires Putin so much.  

688 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo