Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Saboth

Real Name Saboth   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 3, 2011, 00:22
Total Comments 655 (Apprentice)
User ID 57205

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
41. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 18, 2017, 22:16 Saboth

Verno wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 14:16:
NetHead wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 06:45:
Because people have already paid cold hard cash to support them, I guess that part just rolls off some.

It's the issues of them forcing people who have already supported them, sometimes with a lot of cold hard cash, to log into accounts to use features which don't require that or the internet.

The phrasing here bugs me a bit. No one is supporting Nvidia, this isn't a Kickstarter or something. You bought a product and got what you paid for. Anything that comes after is gravy. GeForce Experience is entirely optional software, a value add. People who don't like the choices Nvidia makes with the software can speak with their wallet if it truly bothers them so much. That's the only language most companies truly care about. If it's not a deal breaker then it's probably not that large of an issue in the first place.

Nvidia already laid out why its there and the reasons might not matter to some but they're perfectly justifiable.

Except I also bought a Gsync monitor to go with my Nvidia card, and also an Nvidia Shield Tablet to work with my card. When I bought all of those things, there was no login required. Now there is, and worse yet, functionality between my computer and my tablet is lost (game streaming) unless I fork over my personal information. Yet there is absolutely no reason to require any kind of social media/login account to make my tablet stream from my PC again, like it did before they changed the agreement on their end. You're right though - nothing forces me to buy Nvidia products in the future. Once this monitor is obsolete, and my tablet dies out, I'll probably switch over to freesync and another brand of tablet and see what AMD has up their sleeves. I don't like Nvidia's customer unfriendly practices right now, so it works both ways. They can do what they want, and I can do what I want.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 18, 2017, 22:10 Saboth

That's where the problem of government making our devices less secure bites us. Government pays company to hack a private company's software or device (or orders the company that makes the device to build a back door into it from the start), hackers gain access to the hack or back door, hack thousands or millions of people, who have their identities or money stolen, the government shrugs, leaving those people high and dry.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2017, 22:05 Saboth

I used to support Wikileaks and Assange's goal, but that was before I learned they leak very specific information in order to influence public opinion, sway elections, and that they are working with dictators and malcontents to accomplish goals such as undermining democracy. The USA wasn't the first country that had its election influenced by these leaks. If Wikileaks was truly about total transparency from all sides, that would be an admirable goal, but they are picking and choosing who they ally with, they are sitting on information that would hurt sides that they want to win instead of releasing it, and their allies are not always honorable or just.  

15. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 17, 2017, 22:10 Saboth

Slick wrote on Jan 17, 2017, 21:44:
Makes me think of the GTX 970 3.5GB VRAM debacle. What did people end up getting? $15 back and a "thanks for your money" greeting card?

I didn't get anything. I bookmarked the settlement website as soon as it was announced, and checked back every so often, but no info or updates were given. Then I skipped maybe a month or two and came back and they said the submission period was over. It would have been nice if they'd announced when the deadline was, but instead it seems the opened up submissions for a few weeks then shut it all down pretty fast.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2017, 21:24 Saboth

Glad I skipped that DirecTV Now fiasco. Even with the really short discounts they offered, it was too risky. Just about everyone complained about the service. Their price is pretty high, and the service is terrible. Think we'll stick with Vue and/or Sling for now. I'm not going to pay to beta test their product.

6. Re: NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins Jan 17, 2017, 21:20 Saboth

I don't need social media, rewards points or their game streaming service. I did use the recording software, and it was slightly convenient to be notified of driver updates being available. However, I don't want something as invasive as that on my system that now also requires an account and login. I'll stick with installing drivers manually when they are available.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 14, 2017, 09:02 Saboth

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 21:51:
Yeah, sorry, Tom, but it is. They're gonna kill it and more. Just like Reagan, the next several years are going to be the rape of Pesephone all over again. Persephone being the American people...without the benefit of lube even.

The maddening thing about net neutrality is it is not only good for citizens, but also good for the majority of corporations - creating new jobs, encouraging innovation and stimulating the economy. Without it, only ISPs benefit, but the GOP won't see this, or just don't care, as long as their corporate sponsors are happy.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 13, 2017, 20:37 Saboth

Good 'ol GOP. Passing legislation written by lobbyists to the detriment of citizens. 10 down, 1 up? That was slow even 10 years ago, and they want that to be the standard. The reason cities and towns are trying to create their own networks is private companies are not meeting their needs. Putting the desires of corporate interests over your constituents is why this country is going down the tubes. Actually passing laws to prevent cities from creating the broadband they need? Yeah, that must be that "small government" Republicans drone on about.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 13, 2017, 20:33 Saboth

Bodolza wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 13:15:
Trump makes unverified accusation that intelligence agencies leaked report with unverified accusations.

Orange baby-man elected due to fake news calls real news organizations "fake news".

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 12, 2017, 19:19 Saboth

Now it makes sense why Amazon doesn't support the Crunchyroll app on Fire devices. Crunchyroll has been pointing the finger at Amazon.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
19. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 20:25 Saboth

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 17:36:
I knew about Trump's tweets concerning Schwarzenegger, but I hadn't seen Schwarzenegger's response -- very classy. Arnold's right -- and for those who didn't read it, Arnold quotes part an Abraham Lincoln inaugural address:

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

I pretty much think Trump is a twerp, but starting 20 Jan, he will be POTUS -- we need to do what we can to help the country despite our personal feelings.

Trump's not my president. I doubt that opinion will change. If he had ideas that would help the country and citizens, I'd be all for "working with the GOP". Instead, their first order of business is repealing Obamacare, while having no idea on what to replace it with. That will harm tens of millions of Americans, maybe more, depending on what they do. They plan on rolling back legislation which fixed overtime pay for millions of Americans. They plan on using taxpayer dollars to build an idiotic wall.

Trump wants the US to become allies with a country that is trying to tear down the USA, and remains our enemy. Trump wants to dismantle every protective agency in government, in the name of corporate profits. The GOP just introduced a rider into the Obamacare repeal that will defund Planned Parenthood. Sorry, there is nothing good at all in anything the GOP or Trump wants and is doing. Tariffs will harm Americans and companies. We'd see a huge increase in the cost of living if those are implemented. I do not agree with most of Trump's nominees. Plainly, I see no reason to "work with" a party that will be terrible for the country as a whole, increasing the debt, deficit, lowering wages, increasing the cost of living, harming minorities, harming our relations with our allies, and basically doing the opposite of intelligent governing. I can't see supporting any of that in any way, or "working with" the GOP. Unfortunately, they can pretty much do what they want for the next 4 years.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
13. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 2, 2017, 08:16 Saboth

I'm against Apple's attitude towards it's customers. The "walled garden" approach and "we know what is best for you". I think some industry people are under the impression many of us would love to own Apple products, if only we had the money. I'd rather have a $2,500 PC than any Apple product. If you switched from Android to Apple, you'd have to repurchase all of your apps, at probably 3-5x the cost you initially paid for them.  

News Comments > Steam Top 100 of 2016
19. Re: Steam Top 100 of 2016 Jan 1, 2017, 20:40 Saboth

MT Silver wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 17:44:
I bought nothing. The discounts were pathetic.

Yeah, they were. Many 20-50% offs, hardly any 75%+ off, and if it was a big discount, it was off of full retail price, even if the game was 1+ years old. I think between Bundlestars, Steam and various other sales going on I might have spent about $45. The discounts on Steam were just too low. I wanted to buy the season pass for Witcher 3, but it wasn't even on sale. I could have bought the 2 expansions, but it was like $23 even with the small discount. The GOT edition by itself was $29, so I couldn't see spending almost the same amount on DLC. I did pick up Darkest Dungeon though. I was on the fence for a day or two about Stardew Valley. I don't like sim games much, but the RPG elements sounded interesting, but the idea of farming, fishing, talking to people didn't sound like anything I wanted to do, since I play primarily strategy and/or RPG games.

News Comments > GOG.com Goodbuy 2016 Sale
4. Re: GOG.com Goodbuy 2016 Sale Dec 23, 2016, 14:17 Saboth

I think I got halfway through Witcher 3, started playing something else, then the DLC started to release, so I figured I'd wait for all of the DLC before getting back into it, but the DLC was pricey, so I figured I'd wait until the season pass was like $10 so I could get everything at once, but that still hasn't happened.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 22, 2016, 19:00 Saboth

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 16:32:
Even if most people had the aptitude and intelligence for STEM related jobs - and the vast majority do not - there will still be only so many jobs to go around. And our society is predicated on conspicuous consumption. When everyone is out of work, who's going to be able to afford to buy anything? Our entire economic model collapses. So without a universal basic income you'll see massive poverty which will precede a bloody revolution - as it always does.

A better way forward is to move people back toward a low consumption, artisan based lifestyle. Having people work on communal organic farms, and the like, with the efforts going toward being self-sustaining and low impact. Global overpopulation is another massive problem that needs to be addressed, here and now, before we're faced with a Malthusian catastrophe.

This is where we are heading. The rich don't seem to realize that you can't keep paying people less and less while also expecting never-ending increasing profits. Walmart and McDonald's were confused that even in a bad economy, their profits went down. That's because people literally have no more money to spend, anywhere. Minimum wage has sat at ~$7 for years and years. If it had followed inflation, and the past arc of minimum wage, it should be more like $12 by now. The middle class isn't doing much better. The wealth has all accumulated at the top, and there's no more money to pump into the economy. Having a few people with all of the wealth in the world or country is severely bad for the country as a whole. Not merely from the standpoint of individual citizens, but the country will be starved for tax revenue as well. It's like none of these "Atlas Shrugged" mofos has figured this out yet. Pay your workers better and the economy will perk back up and we can get this country back on track.

If we don't go that route, we need to look at medicare for all citizens, single payer, a basic universal income, etc., subsidized by the rich.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
14. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 16:05 Saboth

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 15:51:
I'm probably going to buy:

Abzu
Creeper World 3
Double Dragon:Neon
Enter the Gungeon
Livelock
Deserts of Kharak(Discount for owning Homeworld Remastered)
We Are the Dwarves

Debating getting Deus Ex for $19.79 or whatever it is now.

Also debating picking up Descent:Undergound and Overload to support the indies, but both of those projects seem pretty far from completion.

I can no longer use the key resellers, chance is way too high they are bought with stolen credit cards.

We Are the Dwarves is in the bundle I picked up from Bundle Stars yesterday. It's in the $4.99 tier of the Nemesis Bundle 2. I went ahead and got the $9.99 bundle because Forced Showdown looks pretty good and has good reviews. The only other game I was really interested in was Chroma Squad, but some of the other games like Worms Clan Wars look decent as well. I'm going to give most of the other keys to my little brothers for Xmas.

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin
2. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Awards Voting Begin Dec 22, 2016, 14:55 Saboth

As usual, meh deals. Lots of indie games still in the $10-$19 range, even after discounts. Most discounts are 10-50% off. If a game is 75-90% off, it's usually off of the original price from 1-2 years ago. I picked up 4 games for about $17 total, using the discount received as a guide to which ones I bought. Guess I'm done with the Steam Sale this year, 2 hours after it went live.

I picked up a bundle on Bundlestars yesterday for $9.99. Even after discounts, one game in the bundle on Steam during the Steam sale is $9.99 just in itself.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 22, 2016, 14:44 Saboth

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 13:58:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 13:17:
Meanwhile, in the that Capitalist Utopia, the US of A:

FCC Republicans vow to gut net neutrality rules “as soon as possible”

Good times.

50% of the people don't want protections. I'm just confused about how they are so confused about their own best interests, nicest people ever... concerned about big businesses interest ahead of there's, admirable.

Trump received about 62 million votes, about 3 million fewer than Hillary. In a country of close to 320 million, that means 19% of the country voted for Donald Trump and his policies. While either looking at the total population of the country or the total number of votes received, the majority of the country did not want Donald Trump as its president. For the second time in recent history, the person with the fewest number of votes won the presidency. I'd say the electoral college needs to go. It's an anachronism that no longer serves a purpose. Its intent is to give more weight to uneducated voters, and as a failsafe so a completely inept demagogue isn't elected president. It completely failed in its mission, allowing Trump to gain office. Time for it to go.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 22, 2016, 13:48 Saboth

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 22, 2016, 13:23:
Whine much? It remains to be seen what occurs with a Trump presidency. While I did not vote for him, I have hope that things will get better. His predecessor certainly made it worse for the average American so you have to include democrats too in your rant.

Our corporate tax rate is just far too high. Canada cut theirs in half and saw no reduction in revenues, hence the flight of many businesses to the north. Hopefully we will a reduction as one of Trumps initiatives, that should be a big help to many of the smaller companies which employee a vast majority of Americans.

I'm curious how Obama made things worse for the average person. After 6-8 years of Republican leadership before 2008, the country faced the worst financial meltdown since the Great Depression, two quagmire wars that cost trillions, a huge growth in government spending, a massive budget deficit of 1 trillion per year (which Obama inherited), a crashed stock market (6K Dow), and double digit unemployment. How are things after 8 years of Obama worse than that? I'll grant you healthcare is more expensive, but not any more expensive than it would have been before Obamacare. It was going up around 3x-5x the rate of inflation before Obama even took office. Also, people are aware corporations and the rich do not actually pay the full tax rate, right? For instance, Trump's paid zero taxes for about 10 years now, Romney paid about 13%, and many corporations pay 30%, 20% 10% or even zero due to deductions, write offs, depreciation, etc.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2016, 13:58.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 22, 2016, 13:04 Saboth

Ever since Republicans introduced the biggest scam in our nation's history (Trickle Down Economics), the wealth gap in our country has continuously increased. Meaning the rich get richer, while the poor get poorer. Right now, the USA's wealth gap is on par with 3rd world countries, which is a huge embarrassment for a supposed First World Country. I have no doubt that after Trump and Republicans get done handing out trillions in tax breaks, credits and taxpayer dollars to the richest people in the country, we'll look back with fondness at our current wealth gap. Trump's lined his cabinet with the richest of the rich plutocrats who have nothing but disdain for the average American worker.

The 17 elites he's put in charge of various government agencies (which they intend to dismantle so they can make even more money) have more wealth than 30% of American households *combined*. And these people are supposed to represent the best interests of the average American? They can't even conceive what life is like for 90%+ of the country.

655 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo