Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 509 (Apprentice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Multiple DiRT Games Hinted
4. Re: Multiple DiRT Games Hinted Jan 6, 2014, 18:27 theglaze

Agreed. I got a free voucher for both Dirt 2 and Bought a cheap one off eBay for Dirt 3. The series has gone progressively backwards since the inspired effort of the first Dirt. But much like Pikes Peak becoming fully paved, I think the best days of Codemasters rally are gone.

GT5 and GT6 had much better dirt/gravel physics anyways...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M
61. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 13, 2013, 18:03 theglaze

Cabezone wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 14:50:
I don't have trouble steering my car and looking around

Sim driving games with Oculus, that's what I am most excited about.

It seems like the perfect application for VR: the user is already seated and using driving controls, matching that of the digital environment and character. With Oculus you'll be able to look around the interior of a car like the McLaren MP4-12C, survey action in the mirrors and shoulder check blindspots. It will also overcome the biggest disadvantage to a single screen setup, being able turn ones head and look for the second or third apex ahead.

I'm tempted to pickup a development kit just to try out iRacing...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
32. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2013, 19:34 theglaze

I think you guys are missing another element to this, and that's the display.

Lots of people use very inefficient, high-input-lag LCD televisions with 120/240/480Hz smoothing enabled and a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes-post-processing which improve colours, saturation, contrast, etc, but at the cost of slowing down the image. Where as a gaming monitor is less than 5ms input lag (advertised, actual is in the 15-50ms range), it is common to see TV's measure at well above 100ms.

Yes, these TV's also have a "GAME" input which bypasses most of those processes, but who actually uses that? Most people I know have an AV receiver to handle all the input.

Sure, M/KB may be the best form of input for a wide range of games, but I don't think it will work as smoothly as some of you assume it will.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 10, 2013, 13:07 theglaze

Beamer wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 12:14:
For the same reason no PS3 game supported them

The PS3 came out with mouse and keyboard support a couple years ago, I recall trying Counter-Strike Global Offensive. I had an issue with input lag. Not only did it run at less than 30 FPS, but there was a very noticeable mouse lag which made aiming significantly more difficult. Not sure if it was the console struggling to work with my Deathadder, or not being efficiently coded to handle mouse input within an FPS....either way there certainly wasn't an aiming advantage over controllers. I recall the keyboard also being lagged but it was not gameplay crippling.

News Comments > DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs
29. Re: DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs Dec 5, 2013, 02:33 theglaze

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 00:51:
Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 00:01:
I lost over 70k in a single game. That was the last straw for me. It was my best game yet in bf4. Game over for me.
I think it's interesting that you'd describe your best game as the one where you got a lot of XP, and get mad over losing the XP, rather than describe your best game as the one where you had the most fun (and no server crash can take that from you). I think it's sad that gamers these days play Battlefield games to unlock guns and earn XP instead of to do the thing that has made the series great since BF 1942, which didn't have any unlocks.

It's those "only in Battlefield" moments that stand out, and those alone are worth playing for.

But there is so much content that is locked, it's daunting, and losing all that progress towards the items you really want, plus all the other goodies you get along the way is a kick in the sack.

It's like "Hey, look at all this cool stuff. Actually, stop and check out this black screen with a stupid loading bar. Oh hey, now were back to your desktop. By the way, the last 2 hours didn't happen. But you can do it again because you're having fun. Right?"

News Comments > DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs
22. Re: DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs Dec 4, 2013, 23:35 theglaze

The first couple weeks were unplayable. I had issues with the web launcher, graphically glitches, and connection drops. Now I seldom get a connection drop, but complete game lock-ups are becoming more common.

I wager I've lost about 75,000 XP from those crashes/drops, or about 2 hours of playtime or 20% of my overall score.

News Comments > F1 2013 Classic Cars and Circuits Released
1. Re: F1 2013 Classic Cars and Circuits Released Oct 21, 2013, 12:51 theglaze

While I cannot comment on the authenticity of the cars or tracks, the effort from Codemasters seems decent. Each car cockpit design is different and look great with the helmet cam. There is a significant performance difference between the cars and some are quite difficult to drive consistently. I've only raced Imola so far, and the lack of distance markers for turns makes the track that much more challenging.  

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
23. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 18:36 theglaze

Are the track pads pressure sensitive?  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - F1 2013
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - F1 2013 Oct 7, 2013, 22:17 theglaze

Initial impression, I mark it down as an improvement over last years game with better chassis physics, improved graphics (still needs driver optimization), 4 truly classic tracks, and the addition of retro cars which are fierce. I can't say it's worth the full price tag plus DLC, but I haven't done enough laps yet.  

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
35. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 15:34 theglaze

vrok wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 15:29:
The design is the reason I stayed with Blue's and started ignoring every other gaming website. They have too much clutter and random fluff, and put stuff in seemingly random places. Blue's design focuses on quick and easy to digest information and as such can also fit more of it in the same space. It's the perfect bullet point list of news and links for everything I need to know about gaming in general.

Exactly. I've converted a few people to Blue too.

News Comments > Tactical Intervention Open Beta
3. Re: Tactical Intervention Open Beta Aug 30, 2013, 16:45 theglaze

I'll take CS styled tactics over Battlefield PTSD gameplay, and Call of Duty ADD gameplay, any day of the week.  

News Comments > F1 2013 in October
4. Re: F1 2013 in October Jul 28, 2013, 13:59 theglaze

Zyrxil wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 12:47:
How accurate are these games in terms of speed and car simulation? I remember that episode of Top Gear where they made such a big deal out of how little reaction time you had and how you had to keep the speed up so everything wouldn't lock up. Do they ramp everything down just to make it playable by normal people?

Codemasters has made the most technical motorsport approachable to any racing fan, even to those that have never raced a video game before. For example, the car setup has been diluted to keep things simple with only the suspension setup showing 'units' while most other settings are scaled out of 11 (downforce can be tweaked to front 8 out of 11, and rear 7 out of 11).

Compared to more complex racers like Forza and GT, it's surprising to see missing settings such as the transmission's final drive, tire pressure, or rear differential lock points. Even after 3 games, they've yet to add anything on the front end to show advancements they've made within the car physics. To me, this mainly suggests that the EGO Engine still does not have a detailed resolution in physics to even consider small changes to car setup, such as increase to the ride height in 'mm' compared to an abstract notch of '1'.

It should be noted, however, that F1 2013 will run on their latest engine, 3.0. Up until this point, only GRID 2 has used this engine. If the jump from 1.0 to 2.0 (F1 2010 to F1 2011) is any indication of wheel force feedback improvements, one could expect noticeable improvements. Will they remove the pesky always-somewhat-on traction control and ABS? I doubt it.

Bringing this altogether for your question, can normal people play this game? Yes and no.

There's nothing daunting in the car setup or car handling, and that keeps the game approachable. You don't have to worry much about your brake/tire temperatures or screwing up the transmission with poor shifts. It's the sheer speed that a new driver has to adjust to, hitting brake markers, apex's and tight racing lines +80% of the time in order to lay down fast laps, and that experience is mentally draining.

The polished visuals and great engine audio shine through when driving a McLaren all out on Spa or whipping a Ferrari around the Hungaring, adding to an exhilarating driving experience. And I think Codies would argue that matters more than developing a more rigorous physics engine.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2013, 14:04.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 26, 2013, 16:19 theglaze

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 14:55:
I have an MSI GTX 460. Cool and quiet. Branding doesn't matter so much to a graphics card since it's all pretty much just custom clocks and coolers.

That's half the story.

Manufactures like MSI will sometimes deviate from the OEM layout and components in order to save costs, often using lesser quality capacitors/resistors that meet the nvidia requirements but not much beyond. Just look at some naked GTX 770 or 760 cards and you'll see that they are not all the same, and in fact, differ quite a bit.

It's far easier to find these discrepancies in quality with a motherboard because of all the functions it provides, and numerous ways to test and benchmark each one.

Kudos to Mad Shrimps, you've gained another follower.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 26, 2013, 11:43 theglaze

It's been a while since I read a hardware rant like that. I've also avoided MSI products for years, but took the plunge on a GTX 570 a couple years ago which failed, twice.

I'm not surprised a high-end MSI product is failing, I am surprised they even attempted it.

leeghoofd wrote:
EDITOR RANT: This article is not meant to put a certain brand in a bad daylight. However the numerous reviews on the Z87 XPOWER I read, are totally lacking credibility. Impossible that they properly tested or analysed. Probably some 2 hour testing done by an automated system, pushing out results straight into an Excel file. Good job ! NOT !

If you want to buy a board based on looks and onboard gimmicks then you find more then what you are looking for on the multiple photo, hardware spec listing review sites out there. However at Madshrimps we publish also the not so pretty facts, not some bla bla wrapped in a nice shell. This particular board is designed for OverClocking, yet fails to live up to that label. Hence why articles as these should thrive the Bios engineers to get things sorted ASAP. If one has to pay 340 euros for a semi working motherboard, how miserable would you feel if you found out the truth, that brand B was cheaper, faster and more user friendly.

My main concern is not with the board as it's clearly evolving in the right direction, but the BS reviews which are posted on a regular basis. Lately all hardware is Good, a Must Buy, Great or Recommended. Get a life dear collegue reviewers and dare to be honest with your readers. That is where your focus should be really at !

Your job is not to please the manufacturers, but to inform your readers !

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details
15. Re: Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details Jul 25, 2013, 16:45 theglaze

playing as the teamís Commander, every move made in Battlelog reflects directly back to the game in real-time

Finally, I can command an army while taking a shit

News Comments > Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited
17. Re: Battlezone, Star Control & More Atari IP Sold: Chris Taylor and Total Annihilation Reunited Jul 22, 2013, 16:20 theglaze

For me, it was the TA community support that gave the game legs and kept it interesting with not only custom units but entire races.

Edit: And that soundtrack has been in my library for years

News Comments > F1 2013 Announced
6. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 13:33 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 13:03:
Wish they would skip a few years and make a proper sequel instead of shitting this franchise out like it is a Fifa or Madden game. New one comes out every year with an updated roster and that is about it.
It is not like they have to make new tracks every year or they over haul the graphics engine or anything like that.

Just too little changes from one year to the next.
Not to mention 2012 I found was really boring for some reason.

Considering what Bernie charges for the F1 license ($20 million for the first Codemasters F1 2010), I bet they have to keep releasing titles because Bernie would be asking for more and more based on the growing revenue success. If they decide to not make a title, they still have to pay that license or risk losing the game the following year if they can't contractually figure that out.

I think the timing is off: they release the new game towards the end of the season which means we simulate 2013 with the old drivers and track rotation. Every league schedule has a compromised track listing because of this, most recent example, Hockenheim instead of Nurburgring GP.

And yes, there have been subtle improvements in car handling, and it's been trending towards slightly more simulated and less arcade gameplay.

5. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 13:04 theglaze

theglaze wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:53:
I wonder if the classic F1 cars can be used on the modern tracks, which cannot be assumed when considering GRID 2 DLC. Would be awesome to practice the lines and explore the a track in an old Mclaren that Senna used....

Wait a minute...no reference to Senna or his Championship winning team & cars?

If this is oversight, then it's blatant incompetence and proof once again that the development team are not actually F1 or sim fans. If there are legalities behind the scenes and they couldn't secure the rights, well then that's just a pity.

A pity indeed:

General details:
- Ayrton Senna is not in the Classic Edition as another developer holds the rights
- You are able to race F1 2013 cars at the Classic tracks, and you are able to race the classic cars at the F1 2013 tracks. (You can take out a 1992 Williams FW14B at Austin, and you can take the 2013 Red Bull RB9 out at Brands Hatch)
- Unable to mix eras (only 1980s and 1980s, and only 1990s and 1990s)

3. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 12:59 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 12:48:
This one is becoming the CoD of the racing games.
I love F1 but I am not sure I will buy it this year.
They do not make big enough changes to warrant the full price.

Totally agree. For every step forward, it feels like they take a step back.

For example, they introduce co-op championship via multiplayer, but there is no 'Free Run' mode? In fact, there is no 'Custom Race' where the user has full control over the settings and could make their own practice session.

2. Re: F1 2013 Announced Jul 15, 2013, 12:53 theglaze

I wonder if the classic F1 cars can be used on the modern tracks, which cannot be assumed when considering GRID 2 DLC. Would be awesome to practice the lines and explore the a track in an old Mclaren that Senna used....

Wait a minute...no reference to Senna or his Championship winning team & cars?

If this is oversight, then it's blatant incompetence and proof once again that the development team are not actually F1 or sim fans. If there are legalities behind the scenes and they couldn't secure the rights, well then that's just a pity.

509 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo