Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 587 (Apprentice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Breach This Month
2. Re: Into the Breach This Month Feb 7, 2018, 13:09 theglaze

Big FTL fan here, had a great time exploring space and listening to new music with that game.

The silly dialog and choose-your-own-adventure element gave it a lot of replay, toss in random weapons from shops and super fun gameplay... FTL is a classic!

Into the Breach doesnít have the choose-your-own-adventure, and Iím skeptical of the gameplay has enough depth.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Patch
5. Re: Overwatch Patch Jan 31, 2018, 15:41 theglaze

The changes now make mercy a non-required support, and thatís more in line with proper balancing.

Also, the slower movement speed during Valkyrie makes her aim easier to control, and Iíve seen multiple POTG with a Mercy flying around and landing consistent headshots.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Free Weekend
12. Re: Fallout 4 Free Weekend Jan 30, 2018, 15:03 theglaze

I could never get into Fallout, always a clunky mess of bugs and half executed ideas with minor yet glaring flaws but somehow nostalgia keeps people from rating it what it is... an average franchise, not a glorious one.  

News Comments > MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG
32. Re: MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG Jan 30, 2018, 02:13 theglaze

M$ is like a sports team that can never make the playoffs, but buy players from other teams at maximum market value to try and win the championship next year, only to flop again.

I know this idea is not Microsoft's style... but M$ could put its money behind indie development instead of trying to buy whatever is trending, and cultivate its own 1st party content.

ID@Xbox is the current program but applicants, if picked, just get some free tools and a couple XB1 kits... hardly enticing and sorely ignoring the problems indies face with limited programing time, debugging ability, and project management experience.

With all that money and human power M$ has, they can find a space between between Kickstarter (which is notorious for gaming failures) and Steam (which is notorious for too many early access titles that go no where).

Hell they could run a competition in which developers pitch ideas and early gameplay/story concepts, engage players through the Xbox platform and social media to vote on what they like, and then every quarter award the top five indies with $10 million in backing to see their game developed.

Again, I know that's not M$'s style but...

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Jan 29, 2018, 21:06 theglaze

I guess sheís lucky? A snapped tibia (ala Paul George) is much more simple to fix and recover from than a blown knee and tendons. Sheíll probably lie about how much it hurts and flip the pain pills...  

News Comments > DRAGON BALL FighterZ Rolls Out
1. Re: DRAGON BALL FighterZ Rolls Out Jan 27, 2018, 03:11 theglaze

The animation looks gorgeous  

News Comments > Overwatch Epic Skins Revealed
1. Re: Overwatch Epic Skins Revealed Jan 22, 2018, 17:05 theglaze

That Zen skin looks great!  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Facebook admits what we all know: that social media can be bad for democracy Jan 22, 2018, 13:13 theglaze

Bryan Bishop about The Cleaners wrote:
...the platforms in question have been expressly designed to generate interest and engagement above all else, and itís in a platformís best interests to never show a user news or information that would truly challenge their world view or turn them off, leading to insular bubbles where people are only fed the information they already want to see.

News Comments > TT Isle of Man Trailer
2. Re: TT Isle of Man Trailer Jan 19, 2018, 12:40 theglaze

This is the most hyped motorcycle game in recent memory.

As for safety, there have been 146 deaths over the last century or so, with 2016 being one of the deadliest with 5 fatalities.

I donít mean to disrespect the dead... but if this video game does not allow the rider to dismount the bike during a crash... and if his body does not have ragdall physics... itís probably a no buy for me!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2018, 14:28 theglaze

Science panel backs lower drunken driving threshold. Mmmm Oban.

There's a more thorough write-up here:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180117114944.htm

I have a few options with lowering to 0.05:

• Mobile breathalyzers are a joke with horrendous track record of accuracy; tuning them to even greater sensitivity will result in more false positives

• Where are the government facilities for which citizens can learn first hand how different BAC levels affect their driving and decision making? It's a guessing game for Joe 6-Pack and 0.05 is as ambiguous as 0.08...

• Laws and resulting punishments need to be adjusted, otherwise the court system gets clogged with people blowing over 0.05 without causing harm to other persons or property. Those cases should be treated as misdemeanors
  •  

News Comments > Game Reviews
    1. Re: Game Reviews Jan 18, 2018, 13:45 theglaze

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds on Zero Punctuation. NSFW.

These videos don't load for me anymore.

Just loops commercials until a black screen, even when white listed via Adblock. Tried all the major browsers too.

Shame, I get a kick out of his rants.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 16, 2018, 18:10 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 15:58:
    Really good VR article.

Well researched, cited, and technically written to showcase the challenges faced.

That said, way to rain on the VR parade... sheeesh!

The bump up in res will make the ďnext-genĒ visual experience +70% better than the current Rift/Vive... and thatís good enough for me!

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
    7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 11, 2018, 18:25 theglaze

It's always the victims fault.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
    8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 10, 2018, 02:37 theglaze

The president is not the problem, heís merely an output of a broken/corrupt political system that is flawed in representing the people.

I donít know what the hell you Americans are going to do... but being hopefully that it ends with his presidency is naive. Youíll have to fight harder, be more vocal and politically engaged than the Obama era.

[Edit] Carlin would think Iím too optimistic: https://youtu.be/ILQepXUhJ98

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2018, 02:56.

News Comments > Overwatch Patched
    1. Re: Overwatch Patched Jan 10, 2018, 02:12 theglaze

Lots of similar colours at a glance... they need to run home/away colours like real sport teams so itís easily noticeable which hero is on which team.

A thin boarder of red/blue isnít enough from a spectator perspective.

News Comments > VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced
    4. Re: VIVE Pro and Wireless Adaptor Announced Jan 8, 2018, 20:56 theglaze

That resolution increase is signifant... hopefully AMD/NVIDIA can gain more VR efficiencies because it will take more than a 1080 Ti to push high quality at a solid FPS.  

News Comments > Overwatch Mercy and Junkrat Nerfs Inbound
    7. Re: Overwatch Mercy and Junkrat Nerfs Inbound Jan 5, 2018, 17:05 theglaze

Choachy wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 13:17:
    Mercy is the most accessible direct healer. She is the easiest to play healer that the majority of players can relate to and feel effective. Ana is a direct healer but much more difficult to play for most people. Moira is less direct and more difficult. I keep seeing the argument that mercy is the most played character because she is OP. For the casual player, I just dont buy this theory. She's the most played because she is the most accessible.

No Zen mention?? Cry

The hardest thing about playing Mercy is understanding that you are the No.1 target for the other team, so your head has to be on a swivel.

News Comments > Overwatch Mercy and Junkrat Nerfs Inbound
    3. Re: Overwatch Mercy and Junkrat Nerfs Inbound Jan 5, 2018, 11:33 theglaze

NotOneOfUs wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 10:44:
    Would they stop fucking killing Mercy?

The original Mercy was broken because players would stop healing their teammates (and hide) or literally instruct them to die together and all at once so they can bait the enemy team to use ultiamtes, and the Mercy can swoop in for a +3 player group revive. It's a solid tactic and difficult to beat if the other team did not have a Mercy... so then both teams were doing it and ruining gameplay flow with a cheap trick.

And their current Mercy is slightly broken. During Valkryie she's extremely difficult to hit with a kb+m (impossible with gamepad) and often she ends up solo chasing stragglers with her pistol back to their spawn. They've decreased the duration to curb that, and removed the Resurrect buffs because her mob heal/dmg is so powerful now.

Kxmode wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 11:13:
    Did the gameplay devs not crunch enough numbers to know there would be an imbalance?

I'm guessing the dev's test ideas among themselves, but they can't rely on their personal abilities or the AI models they've created to accurately anticipate the changes at scale by real users.

So they push these changes to the PTR where they can see if they get the desired results. Usually another tweak or two occurs from PTR to public that goes untested, which I disagree with.

News Comments > ESA Takes on WHO Over "Gaming Disorder"
    30. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 3, 2018, 12:43 theglaze

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:09:
    Moderation in all things.

The difference between whether something -- gaming, working, cleaning, sports, whatever -- is an activity or an addiction is the impact it has on the other parts of a person's life. If you are "obsessed" with the activity to the point it has a detrimental effect on other portions of your life, that's obviously a problem. The fact gaming can rise to that level says nothing about gaming.

Exactly.

Russel Brands "Recovery: Freedom from our Addictions" is a realist approach to the 12 Steps, full of wit and insight from his experiences, and a book I recommend to anyone who thinks they or someone they love may have an addiction (of any kind).

News Comments > ESA Takes on WHO Over "Gaming Disorder"
    7. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 2, 2018, 22:39 theglaze

Addiction is a cycle, clinically defined as:

1. Pain
    2. Addictive agent to soothe and distract
    3. Temporary anesthesia or distraction
    4. Consequences
    5. Shame and guilt, leading to pain or low-self esteem
    6. Repeat

All games, by definition, distract.

But video games are more specifically scripted, a tailored experience to reward the player for putting in time whilst they ignore the actual problems or pain in their life.

They offer the player an escape from reality.

Through loot drops, unlocks, level gains, and achievements the player can further justify his/her time spent in a digital world. That scheme is designed by the developer to encourage more time/money invested into said world.

And that can be addictive to the player, and exploited by the developer.

587 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo