Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 509 (Apprentice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > CS:GO Dust II Revamp
2. Re: CS:GO Dust II Revamp Oct 11, 2017, 13:29 theglaze

Wesp5 wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 12:54:
Wohoo, so there are still actually some game developers left at Valve ;)?

Perhaps this is how PC multiplayer FPS titles SHOULD be implemented:

-Easy to learn, hard to master gameplay
-Low purchase cost
-No more than $10 of DLC a year
-Only cosmetic loot crates (bonus if there is a market to buy what you want
-Constant development and improvement of all aspects of the game
-Live tournament coverage and spectator participation during world Major tournaments

• Call of Duty has been the only FPS able to maintain yearly releases, at the expense of gameplay to afford ridiculous marketing campaigns.

• Battlefield has been putting a paywall between its users since the brilliant Bad Company 2 by releasing map packs that segment the community. Often their games are best at END OF LIFE, and by then the hype machine is behind the next full-release which starts off with limited content and a bunch of bugs

• Tribes is an example of poorly implemented DLC and currency that resulted in pay-to-win, relegating it back to a LAN party title.

• Planetside 2's monthly subscription requirement prevented it from the growth it could have obtained

• And then there's PUBG and Overwatch... the TWO MOST popular FPS on PC right now (alongside CSGO), and they have a similar makeup:
    -Easy to learn, hard to master gameplay
    -Low cost
    -No more than $10 of DLC a year All content is free
    -Only cosmetic loot crates (bonus if there is a market to buy what you want
    -Constant development and improvement of all aspects of the game
    -Live tournament coverage and spectator participation during world Major tournaments
  • Yet to have a professional tournament presence

EDIT: Or perhaps that's what it takes to be a leading game on Steam

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2017, 15:16.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens
    13. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront II Multiplayer Beta Opens Oct 6, 2017, 15:36 theglaze

DangerDog wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 15:26:
    If the multiplayer gameplay was at least on par with say Bad Company 2 then I would probably play it.

IMO, nothing in the genre (squad-FPS) has come close to Bad Company 2...

That Steve Jobs interview exert comes to mind when I think about EA. Most of their games play like the franchise is ran by Sales & Marketing, instead of people passionate about making games.

Titles from Valve and Blizzard are awesome because their designers STILL enjoy playing video games, and care about the user experience.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 7 Rolls Out
    4. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 Rolls Out Oct 3, 2017, 15:34 theglaze

DangerDog wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 14:59:
    95 gb download?

for a racing game...

okay

Sweet baby Jesus!

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Includes Major Changes
    5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Includes Major Changes Sep 27, 2017, 13:04 theglaze

I also thought Planetside 2 was pretty good for a couple months a few years ago, and to this day I still don't understand the flow of map control or why EVERYONE is battling for THIS station (and sign-in the next day and no one cares about it). I just accepted this futile struggle to represent war, like Nam.

So I carved up the enemy infantry in close combat and showed no mercy!

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
    42. Re: Intel's Sep 26, 2017, 03:05 theglaze

Wetworks wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 21:31:
    especially with newer games taking advantage of more cores and threads

I've been hearing that since they introduced quads, and the fact is still only a minority of titles even make use of 4 cores.

And for a minority of streamers broadcasting the latest whatever, I bet a 8700k is dope!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2017, 19:21 theglaze

Funny, the Thunder should remember Melo!

https://youtu.be/6DCJXYbBB7w

News Comments > RUINER Boss Trailer
    6. Re: RUINER Boss Trailer Sep 24, 2017, 11:03 theglaze

SlimRam wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:14:
    Can ONLY think of NIN: Ruiner when I see this title. I'm hard-wired that way Devilish

Ditto, heck I still use that track to test headphones and device output.

News Comments > Overwatch Free Weekend Underway
    13. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Sep 24, 2017, 10:53 theglaze

Yeah they've reworked Battle.net launcher... I specifically launch Overwatch which opens Battle.net with the OW splash page loaded, and I can click 'Play'. When I'm done, I close the game and exit Battle.net from the system tray. For whatever reason, I cannot launch Battle.net by itself...

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2017, 11:36.

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite
    16. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Sep 22, 2017, 14:22 theglaze

ItBurn wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 13:54:
    theglaze wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 12:43:
    Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 10:54:
    Isn't Fortnite the "harvest resources, build a base, co-op against hordes of zombies" game? How the heck is that the same as PUBG??

Agreed!

I watched the gameplay trailer and its more like Left4Dead meets Minecraft with Team Fortress 2 cartoon-ness... those other franchises MUST be livid! /sarcasm

As I understand it, Fortnite just added a new mode that is basically a copy of PUBG. Games are mostly all copies of other games nowadays, it's nothing new, but they usually try to mask the influence, they don't downright say "we're a copy of game X" like the Fortnite devs did...

Here's the YouTube: Fortnite Battle Royale Announce Trailer

I can see why the PUBG guys are upset, this mode in Fortnite looks polished and has more interesting dynamics! The idea of building/destroying the world is very appealing.

Compared to the main PUBG strategy: Get gear and camp in a house, hide behind a door to shoot people in back, and only move when/if the zone forces you to.

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Starts Its Engines
    3. Re: Project CARS 2 Starts Its Engines Sep 22, 2017, 12:53 theglaze

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 11:26:
    These games feel more like beta's, the first one was really unpolished out the gate. I don't have high expectations for this one. Too much time is going into the pretty and not the experience.

I believe they announced #2 before #1 was a year old lol

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite
    13. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Sep 22, 2017, 12:43 theglaze

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 10:54:
    Isn't Fortnite the "harvest resources, build a base, co-op against hordes of zombies" game? How the heck is that the same as PUBG??

Agreed!

I watched the gameplay trailer and its more like Left4Dead meets Minecraft with Team Fortress 2 cartoon-ness... those other franchises MUST be livid! /sarcasm

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Launch Trailer
    7. Re: Project CARS 2 Launch Trailer Sep 21, 2017, 15:37 theglaze

It seems they've positioned PC2 to provide better content, physics, and FFB than Forza Motorsport 7.

Forza got me into wheel+pedal, so I've got a soft spot for Turn 10 and their simcade racer. Microsoft could have brought their franchise over years ago to Windows... but now competition is stronger than ever on PC.

I'll wait for a few more updates to come out from both Slightly Mad and Turn 10 before I consider ether title.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 7 Win10 Demo
    14. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 Win10 Demo Sep 20, 2017, 15:44 theglaze

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:02:
    Their press release for a Win 10 PC demo reads like this... shitbox... shitbox... shitbox... shitbox... and then shitbox some more.

Just proves again what they REALLY want people to do. Buy a shitbox and grab this exclusively for shitbox, of course. Shit this fuck. Never ever gonna happen.

At least it has a home? I hear PCARS2 has problems on all platforms..

12. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 Win10 Demo Sep 20, 2017, 14:32 theglaze

Ok...

- Force feedback was just car weight and rumble strips; there is no feedback for bumps, dips, puddles, or other features on the roads. The cars handling did not seem impacted by those things either, so turning off Simulation for Camera Motion Effects is important because all the bobbing and crap is just a distraction.

- The highest AI setting (Pro) is required; on all other settings the opponents get to an apex and do a secondary braking phase when they should be throttling through the exit. Overall behavior is a mixed bag, hard to tell if its exaggerated Drivatar's or the general execution of the algorithms.

- For my wheel setup, default values under Advance controls are not good enough. I need to drop Steering Sensitivity so I can use more of the wheels rotation, and use Steering Linearity to dial in the responsiveness. Dead zones were waaaay to high on all regards too.

- In-car telemetry is not available in the demo, neither is car setup.... very disappointing for a demo that's released less than 2 weeks from the games launch.

2. Re: Forza Motorsport 7 Win10 Demo Sep 19, 2017, 22:33 theglaze

I've been asking for Forza on PC for yearrrrrs. Downloading demo now!  

News Comments > Two Steam Concurrent User Records Broken
    11. Re: Two Steam Concurrent User Records Broken Sep 18, 2017, 10:06 theglaze

Anyone play the multiplayer mod for Just Cause 2? My PUBG experience was about at that quality.

Tom wrote on Sep 17, 2017, 22:15:
    And it's a lot less buggy than people say.

In my 2 hours of gameplay (5 matches), right-click scoping did not work 95% of the time, one match loaded without buildings, and another match was extremely laggy on the server end.

loomy wrote on Sep 17, 2017, 23:59:
    in this case it's running around searching houses

I finished 3rd and 7th out of my only 5 matches. My strategy was to jump out of the plane when no one else did, loot in secondary towns, and avoid contact when possible.

I could see there being some great times in team battles or just you and a partner... but again, wait for the game to come out of early access.

News Comments > Two Steam Concurrent User Records Broken
    5. Re: Two Steam Concurrent User Records Broken Sep 17, 2017, 20:18 theglaze

I didn't play the other Battle Royale games, but PUBG is a bit of mess in its present state and a waste of money compared to other well executed games out there.

Maybe they'll make a AA game out of it, but they'll have to do it without my money because I got a Steam refund.

News Comments > Overwatch Free Next Weekend
    2. Re: Overwatch Free Next Weekend Sep 17, 2017, 20:09 theglaze

Ant wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 16:36:
    Has Overwatch changed and improved much since its last free weekend back in 11/19/2016 according to my http://aqfl.net/node/11973 blog?

Lots of her adjustments to achieve better balance, new maps, a couple new heros, and the Arcade with half a dozen game modes for quick matches.

News Comments > etc.
    4. Re: etc. Sep 16, 2017, 14:38 theglaze

I always thought that microtransactions and other similar DLC schemes should be associated with "Stretch Goals" as seen with Kickstarter projects.

If you buy one of these Destiny 2 widget boosts, you are "backing" this DLC for the season, and you will also receive a different plumbus at every whatever interval.

It provides transparency and continually rewards the gamer's DLC purchase.

News Comments > Overwatch Toxicity Slowing Game Development
    13. Re: Overwatch Toxicity Slowing Game Development Sep 14, 2017, 15:32 theglaze

Kxmode wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 15:19:
    Would it be better to just put all those cheaters on a special map for cheaters? Then they can do whatever they want.

Yes, trolls LIKE PLAYING with other trolls. Separating them from normal player matches just makes sense.

509 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo