Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 513 (Apprentice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Mar 16, 2017, 10:36 theglaze

El Pit wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 09:28:
and that stupid girl before him just stood there waiting for shit to happen

Buuuuut O M G look at those TWO hand bags she has!! Sooo going to follow her on Instagram

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Mar 16, 2017, 01:17 theglaze

I played the new map once in a competitive match, seems like they went out of their way to make it very different than any other map in the rotation.

New maps are usually T sides until successful defensive strategies are discovered, and this played out no different. Bombsite B is very unusual as a narrow, covered bridge about 40 feet above a canal. Seemed impossible to defend.

Interesting addition to the rotation, and I'm sure many changes will be made.

News Comments > Lucio Changes and More Revealed in Overwatch AMA
9. Re: Lucio Changes and More Revealed in Overwatch AMA Mar 14, 2017, 16:20 theglaze

I feel like they keep catering to shitty players?

I have played against devastating Winston's, always hoping in for quick dmg and then out again. So hard to kill, just keeps harassing, and then he goes banana's with his ult very frequently. Causing chaos so other teammates can isolate picks.

And Lucio is a blast, perhaps the easy hero to rock without any need for team radio...heck I usually play him while listening to my own music. The trick is getting your teammates to chase down a hurt enemy with his speed boost, and having a good secondary healer because he's just not enough.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews
24. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 9, 2017, 15:57 theglaze

Nullity wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 14:35:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 9, 2017, 14:27:
What? Wasnt it like the 1060 cant do SLi, the 1070 can only do 2 and the 1080 can do 3 or 4?

You are correct that they disabled SLI for 1060. Here is info on the others.

The GTX "xx60" cards have been SLI-disabled for quite some time. Helps them compete at a much lower price.

1080 Ti performance does challenge the idea of buying 2x1070 considering the money involved.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2017, 10:40 theglaze

Oh, I had this confused with ESPN's documentary series "OJ: Made in America"…which was a riveting investigation of all aspects that influenced the actual people, and showing real evidence and footage of the events.

How does the TV series compare to the documentary?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 18:15 theglaze

Orogogus wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 13:17:
Just want to note: the Rift has access to the Vive's library -- it can play games on Steam or HTC's Vivespot. Oculus is the only one with a lock on its library.

Ah, good point, I never thought about that.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2017, 12:51 theglaze

HTC says it has no plans to cut Vive price.

Damn…this may have pushed me towards the Rift.

I really just want the headset for the first generation so I can do sim racing. I prefer the whole ecosystem that Valve is developing with HTC/LG and the Indie title support through Steam…but for an extra $475 Canadian?

If I go with the Rift, I can basically upgrade my video card to a 1070 'for free'...

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
18. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 12:36 theglaze

Xero wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:12:
I agree with everyone that if it anything, AMD can keep Intel slightly more honest in that there is SOMEONE trying to compete. If Intel had no one, forget it, prices will go up higher than they already are for Intel.

Intel is currently like a running steam train not looking back and AMD while trying to keep up, is still not quite there yet.

It's been almost a decade since AMD actually challenged Intel...which was around the last time Intel got caught being jerks (aka anti-competitive business practices). They paid out over $1 billion back in 2009.

Hopefully Intel stays "honest" this time around...

News Comments > LG VR HMD Specs
10. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 2, 2017, 01:36 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 00:30:
theglaze wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 23:45:
I tried an HTC Vive for the first time the other day.

It's a game changer. There's just no other way to say it.

I finally saw with my own eyes why almost EVERY high-tech company with skin in consumer electronics is getting on board or partnered up with another company. It's simply too risky to NOT pursue a presence in that space even during its infancy.

Yes, 4K would be unbelievable. The only way that resolution with advanced graphics can be driven is if NVIDIA or AMD can configure SLI/CF to pump frames to each panel, and it will still take 1080 Ti's for that.

With 30% higher res on the LG, I'm sure it will look 30% better...but that's not enough to justify NOT going with a Vive today. And the future is too far away....gah!

Or an Oculus? Given that they just dropped the price...

The Best Buy prices haven't dropped on Canadian website yet, that may take some more time.

I really enjoyed walking in a 3D space and using controllers for interaction with the Vive, but I haven't yet experience gameplay that can justify the price.

A cheaper Rift could satisfy my sim racing needs until the 2nd gen becomes available in the next year or two.

News Comments > LG VR HMD Specs
7. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 1, 2017, 23:45 theglaze

I tried an HTC Vive for the first time the other day.

It's a game changer. There's just no other way to say it.

I finally saw with my own eyes why almost EVERY high-tech company with skin in consumer electronics is getting on board or partnered up with another company. It's simply too risky to NOT pursue a presence in that space even during its infancy.

Yes, 4K would be unbelievable. The only way that resolution with advanced graphics can be driven is if NVIDIA or AMD can configure SLI/CF to pump frames to each panel, and it will still take 1080 Ti's for that.

With 30% higher res on the LG, I'm sure it will look 30% better...but that's not enough to justify NOT going with a Vive today. And the future is too far away....gah!

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month
48. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 18:38 theglaze

The GTX 1080 didnt make a lot of sense to me, the price per FPS gain wasn't there. On average, it performed about 15-25% faster in real game performance than a 1070, but was +50% more expensive.

The 1080 Ti will be 50% faster than a single 1070...but still double the price! May as well get two 1070's for SLI, unless there are some non-SLI titles that are super important to one's personal taste.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 28, 2017, 17:46 theglaze

Bundy wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 14:21:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:11:
Based on my experience using wireless mice and keyboards, I think I'll stick with wired headsets.

I think the battery life on the TPCast was something like 3 hours. Definitely needs to be improved. And the Oculus dude was right about one thing, both the Rift and Vive are pretty slow resolution, it definitely needs to be improved. If I have to upgrade my wireless kit every time I upgrade my headset I think the wife will murder me up real good.

The other wireless VR company out there (can't find link) said it's tech can do 4k 60p no problem, whatever that means.

News Comments > The Golf Club VR Tees Off
2. Re: The Golf Club VR Tees Off Feb 25, 2017, 17:42 theglaze

Ozmodan wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 16:13:
VR golf just sounds absurdly stupid.

Don't doubt the lengths golfers will go during the off-season to get their fix! Especially during long, snowed-in winters.

News Comments > NBA 2K17 and Sunless Sea Free Weekends
3. Re: NBA 2K17 and Sunless Sea Free Weekends Feb 17, 2017, 16:29 theglaze

Lots of character and intrigue with Sunless Sea.

Pairs well with melodic music on a rainy day with a glass of your favorite.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Transfers Ending
10. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Transfers Ending Feb 17, 2017, 16:23 theglaze

Next gen consoles this year, correct?

360 and PS3 are EOL

News Comments > Valve on Countering Cheats
7. Re: Valve on Countering Cheats Feb 15, 2017, 19:16 theglaze

Mick wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 14:27:
When they mention Overwatch, they are referring to the name of CS:GO's community regulation program, NOT the video game.

Correct.

Overwatch is a program within CSGO made available to those who win over 150 competitive matches. Those users can click a button and review an edited, 8 round segment of a match from a single players perspective. At the end of review, the user is asked if the player is guilty of 5 general categories of cheating/griefing.

News Comments > Project CARS 2 This Year
39. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 9, 2017, 15:36 theglaze

Haha, thanks for the input guys. It's helping me generate my own opinion!  

29. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 21:02 theglaze

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 20:09:
I'm convinced that this 3x4K, 12FPS, 2D racing experience will be dripping with immersion.

I did try that but I was disappointed with the experience, and returned the monitors.

The problem that I saw was that the game engine did not properly render the side monitors to take into consideration the angle of the monitors and the perspective of the gamer.

It has now been addressed with the 10 series from nvidia (seen here), making it something I may reconsider.

I've also been keeping my eye on the snazzy, ultra-wide 21:9 screens with 100Hz refresh rate. The price is similar to a VR headset, granted the experience is just a nice improvement over my single screen=, and not a revolutionary change like VR.

Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 19:22:
Sorry, been playing a lot of VR lately, so one last thing for anyone who cares...

I backed THIS kickstarter, as it looks like it will fix the only other niggle i have with the Vive, having all the weight on your face, it destroys my neck.

Interesting, and thank you for bringing that up. Neck strain is a very legitimate concern of mine and I was hoping that shorter sessions with the Vive would minimize the pain.

Most of my iRacing sessions are an hour or so, any more and I get a bit bug-eyed with the strain of visual focus and mental fatigue, and that's just with a single screen!

Do you consider VR sim racing to be more intense? Or similar but just a different experience than using screens?

22. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 18:03 theglaze

Slick wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 17:43:
Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 16:50:
Do you guys listen to songs like Gary Numan's Cars, Kraftwerk's Autobahn or Golden Earring's Radar Love, and stuff like that when you play?

I pop on a good podcast like Sawbones or Revisionist History, set a nice long 5 lap course on the full nurburgring, slap on the vive, grab my wheel, and phase out of existence.

I've been thinking of diving into the world of VR specifically for my sim racing, just not sure if I should take the plunge on the current gen or wait for the next.

I'm leaning towards getting the Vive now because they previously offered the preorders to existing customers first before opening it up to new customers. I don't know if they'll do that for the next-gen headset...

14. Re: Project CARS 2 This Year Feb 8, 2017, 15:27 theglaze

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2017, 13:15:
That sounds pretty awesome however I am not a fan of subscription based games because if I don't have much time to play in a month than I am feeling stressed to play otherwise wasting my sub fee.

I am also terrified by MP racing. I am seeing it every time in iRacing videos where people get all pissed off for being taken out by an inexperienced driver or just by accident or what not.
I'd feel pretty shitty about taking someone out but than getting yelled at for it would just make me not want to go back and race again.

I rather put up with the stupid Ai and single player racing.

Fair points.

Subscription model works for me in a few ways. It encourages me to launch the sim because I’m paying for it, so I figure I get my monies worth if I participate in a couple events a month. And with people always paying and participating with the service, there are significant upgrades to the physic engine, car dynamics, and new features every season (4 a year). It’s constantly evolving.

As for getting up to the pace of your human opponents, there is a graduated license program. You’ll be marked as a Rookie at first, and restricted to only a few select events for official series, until you earn a D license. More events and cars are available, and then you do that to earn C and so on.

Perhaps the most fun and popular Road series is the Mazda MX-5 (Miata) Cup, accessible to anyone License D and higher and thousands of drivers race it every week. You get placed into a group with other racers of similar skill (lap time) and safety (going off track and hitting other cars). Sure there are a lot of tough lessons to learn and you will ruin other peoples races, but that’s a function of learning. If they were that much better than you, they would have been placed in a higher skill tier!

I just got an email that pCARS 1 is on sale right now, 66% off, and it’s about the same price as 3 months for a new membership with iRacing. You’ll have a lot more fun in 3 months with iRacing than you will with a now completely unsupported (ie DEAD) game like pCARS 1.

Heck I think I can even give you a small discount by referring any new racer to iRacing.

513 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo