Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 450 (Amateur)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Penalties Expand
2. Re: Overwatch Penalties Expand Jul 26, 2017, 12:04 theglaze

Henry Dorsett wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 11:45:
How about we punish people who admit to not putting their best effort into winning in ranked matches? If you want to play casually, go play Quick Play. If you can't play with decent people in Quick Play and still want to play casually, then, well, too bad. Ranked matches in any game should be reserved for people whose driving desire is to win, not to have fun fucking around.

Agreed.

But you can report them for that behaviour within the current system, just type within the comments section what they were or were not doing. I've done it several times.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 17, 2017, 18:15 theglaze

I think this is merely a numbers game. Innocent people will occasionally die by police enforcement, just like friendly fire in war, or non-conforming widget during the manufacturing process.

From a systems perspective, the pursuit to improve processes, training, resources, etc should be undertaken to reduce the innocent fatality rate. But it can never be nullified.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2017, 13:07 theglaze

Another issue that I see is the development of VR is a focus on higher-resolution displays to reduce the 'screen-door-effect', something that everyone wants but what about end-user implementation?

The current generation is 1080*1200 per eye... and the talk of 2k per eye is crazy because thats +170% the pixel count. A 1080 Ti isn't even enough at that point to establish a solid 90 FPS with high-quality textures.

Until NVIDIA or AMD enable SLI/Crossfire support for VR... the displays will outpace the horsepower to drive them, or other sacrifices are made in image quality to support that resolution.

News Comments > Cricket Captain 2017 Released
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2017, 15:39 theglaze

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:48:
Grumpy Sod wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 13:42:
Cutter wrote on Jul 10, 2017, 11:11:
Has there ever been a stranger, more incomprehensible game than Cricket? Except maybe Whackbat?

Your version of football is as alien to us in the UK as cricket is to you guys I guess? We grow up with it, while we have to actually be taught what the hell is going on in "American Football", and then only if we're interested. That said, the various rules for when two sides draw or win based on rain calling off play blows my mind to this day.

Nah, even as a German (the real football) and the US football are easily understood. But Cricket.. I honestly can't even grasp. I watched a few hours of it and never even understood how a win was allotted, it seemed random and not based on what I saw the previous 2 hours... and that's really strange.

NFL (American football) rule book = 93 pages
ICC (Standard 1 day match) rule book = 31 pages

While page length may not directly represent complexity of the sport, 3:1 seems significant!

News Comments > F1 2017 Trailer
4. Re: F1 2017 Trailer Jul 9, 2017, 19:30 theglaze

Armengar wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 05:27:
Does the series simulate driver strops? Or warn you that your place is under threat by inferior drivers (who are bringing sponsorship money with them)

I can't say I buy the games for the single player championship so I can't answer that. I'd rather put that time into the multiplayer championships found in iRacing.

Armengar wrote on Jul 9, 2017, 05:27:
Cant say i regularly watch F1 any longer. Doesnt hold a candle to the older racing days. (Note. Could be rose tinted glasses though, im sure there used to be more racing and overtaking...)

This season stands out as the most interesting since they've moved to 1.6L Turbos. In fact, the race in Baku a couple weeks ago is considered by many to be one of the best/most entertaining races ever (for a mid-season race).

News Comments > F1 2017 Trailer
2. Re: F1 2017 Trailer Jul 9, 2017, 00:49 theglaze

What?

Anyways. I first got into racing F1 cars with PS3's F1 Championship Edition, and good'ol Alonso's Renault R26 was on the cover. I wanted to hold off on buying this game until they integrate VR, and these classic cars are making that difficult...

News Comments > No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC?
19. Re: No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC? Jun 22, 2017, 13:27 theglaze

He misspoke, he meant "auto-aim", as claims reddit and an updated statement.  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Week
7. Re: Titanfall 2 Free Week Jun 12, 2017, 17:21 theglaze

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 12:11:
whereas at least in large scale BF type games, you can have a few jokers goofing off without ruining the server.

On the flip side, it's very difficult for a single player to make any discernible impact to the outcome of a BF match. Which is why the series has gone down hill since Bad Company 2.

Now there's a bunch of yahoos Twitch streaming the exploration of a stupid glitch while I'm out there getting mauled by trying to win the damn war!

News Comments > DiRT 4 Released
11. Re: DiRT 4 Released Jun 10, 2017, 13:01 theglaze

Dirt games have always had a very relevant place in sim racing: fun racing, no tuning required.

Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Richard Burns, RF2, etc, etc... from a casual gamers prospective, they are too difficult to just pick up and enjoy for a quick AI racing session.

Nothing comes close to the fun of the Dirt series, and while super-accurate physics and handling are relevant, the joy of racing side-by-side cannot be unobtainable to novice racers in proper sims.

Codemasters' approach with Dirt is like that of an arcade experience where you plop a couple bucks into the latest racing game in the arcade: you expect instant action and adrenaline from the moment the lights go out. No experience required to have fun, but there's enough depth that the fastest times and AI will require dedication to learn and improve.

Buuuuuut, I still won't buy until it has VR, and it needs to be better than Dirt Rally (limited VR tuning options, hands/wheel move at a different FPS, needs more anti-nausea options to adjust)

News Comments > Harsher Overwatch Leaver Penalties Planned
5. Re: Harsher Overwatch Leaver Penalties Planned Jun 9, 2017, 16:10 theglaze

Fion wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 15:25:
The issue was compounded in Season 2 because of the whole 'three times as many points gone in a loss than than gained in a win' issue many folks were having. IDK if they ever fixed that.

Yes, that was fixed.

Fion wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 15:25:
That and the toxicity in even low-rank competitive was growing insane. I mean people screaming

Toxicity is in every game that has voice chat. Even in simulation driving games with an older crowd of players. There are a lot immature gamers out there, and Overwatch attracts all sorts.

Some of it is in your control. Report people how aren't fun to compete with. Block them via the "Recent Players" list so you don't hear them or play with them again. And most importantly, send out friend invites to anyone who is chill, mature, and in general fun to be spending your time with in-game.

Over time, you'd be surprised how much gameplay experience will change just from doing those 3 things.

News Comments > Project CARS 2 in September
7. Re: Project CARS 2 in September Jun 9, 2017, 15:16 theglaze

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 04:02:
Dirt Rally is an arcade game. It's as plain as I can put it. Sure you can fiddle around a lot and the graphics are nice, but the actual cars behave nothing like the real thing, there are so many "invisible" assists, that you BTW can't turn off, in the game that it doesn't even deserve the simulator moniker.

Did you mean to say Pcars?

Dirt Rally is the best iteration of the franchise, and compared to WRC 6, it's the best "new" rally game out there.

Yes, Richard Burns Rally is in a league of its own, but requires extensive fiddling and mods to bring it up to current times.

News Comments > Harsher Overwatch Leaver Penalties Planned
3. Re: Harsher Overwatch Leaver Penalties Planned Jun 9, 2017, 12:12 theglaze

Pigeon wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 11:27:
It would be nice if they allowed back-fills for comp games, just make it so the back-fill couldn't lose SR; maybe make it a user option.

If more aggressive penalties is not working, maybe they should focus on making the experience better for the team down a player.

I’m totally agree with backfills; I don’t understand why they do not permit it.

CSGO is the same; the last comp match I joined, a teammate disconnected in the first 2 minutes… we then had to compete 4(+bot) vs 5 for the next 30 minutes!

Thousands of players are searching for matches every second in Overwatch… why can’t there be a backfill?

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 2017, 12:29.

5. Re: Project CARS 2 in September Jun 8, 2017, 18:33 theglaze

Gib007 wrote on Jun 8, 2017, 16:44:
I can't deal with racing on a closed track, doing laps and laps. I find it very boring. I like more open road racing from point to point at locations. I hope this one has more of that.

Interesting remark.

You would prefer rally racing, such as that found in Dirt Rally, which is point-to-point time trials and no upgrades are made to the car. Any damage incurred is cumulative and carried throughout the remainder of the event. You have some opportunities to fix things that break, but it's always a balance of trade-offs because you can never fix everything.

Circuit racing is all about learning the track's flow in both racing line and camber per turn, plus bumps and dips as found on laser scanned tracks. With that figured out, it then comes down to tuning the car so it performs best on the circuit in the line you are taking and the way in which you want to drive it (for example: how much do you want the rear-end to step out when you power through a turn).

In comparison to Gran Turismo, all the upgrades you perform on the car result in changes to it's performance, and as a result, it's overall index number. It's then up to the driver to tune the car to their liking to gain the best lap time out of it. It becomes quite interesting to have a mix of cars that are all very different but considered to be the same overall performance by the game. It then comes down to the drivers tune and ability to drive it fast.

1. Re: Project CARS 2 in September Jun 8, 2017, 12:20 theglaze

Project CARS: The jack-of-all-trades, the king of none.  

News Comments > Overwatch Double XP Weekend
1. Re: Overwatch Double XP Weekend Jun 7, 2017, 14:53 theglaze

....must....unlock....Lucio's Jazzy skin....  

News Comments > DiRT 4 Trailer
8. Re: DiRT 4 Trailer Jun 6, 2017, 17:55 theglaze

IgWannA wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 17:28:
theglaze wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 17:12:
LOC wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 16:54:
IgWannA wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 14:56:
From what I hear they've dumbed down the physics from Dirt Rally and content is lacking, which is a shame.

Not sure where the content is lacking

Here's a quote from the eurogamer review:

but, Wales aside, none of them stir the soul quite like Dirt Rally's Finland, Greece or Monaco. The absence of iconic stages such as Sweet Lamb, the Col de Turini - and, for that matter, Pike's Peak - really hurts Dirt 4. No amount of randomly generated content can offer an effective replacement for such legends.

Funny you quote that since that's the review I read, and the exact quote I was thinking of

Hah yeah, I think that reviewer nailed a really important part of rally as a motorsport: the stages are as much of the experience as the car being driven.

I did Pike's Peak in VR last week via Dirty Rally... mixed asphalt/gravel version in a straight up downpour with no pace notes.

A random turn generator will never provide that experience!

News Comments > DiRT 4 Trailer
6. Re: DiRT 4 Trailer Jun 6, 2017, 17:12 theglaze

LOC wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 16:54:
IgWannA wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 14:56:
From what I hear they've dumbed down the physics from Dirt Rally and content is lacking, which is a shame.

Not sure where the content is lacking

Here's a quote from the eurogamer review:

but, Wales aside, none of them stir the soul quite like Dirt Rally's Finland, Greece or Monaco. The absence of iconic stages such as Sweet Lamb, the Col de Turini - and, for that matter, Pike's Peak - really hurts Dirt 4. No amount of randomly generated content can offer an effective replacement for such legends.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 6, 2017, 15:22 theglaze

Reviews for Dirt 4 seem favorable.

I've just grown tired of Codemasters old-school approach to treating each game in a franchise as a standalone entry. They just seem to take steps backwards by dropping features and content from previous entries when they release a new one.

Why isn't the Dirt Rally content here? Cars... tracks? Not even a fraction of it?
Where is VR support, or even promise of DLC support?

With F1 2016, they seemed to turn a new leaf by listening to the fans more and putting in features that should have been included 7 iterations ago (yes, 2010 was the first one). And the 8th is just around the corner...

But Dirt 4 looks like a return to form of short-term-memory development... what is so "weird" about the approach of building upon the previous iteration? Improving upon it's shortcomings without hindering it's strengths?

Nope. Not Codemasters.

News Comments > SpeedRunners Free Weekend
1. Re: SpeedRunners Free Weekend Jun 2, 2017, 17:06 theglaze

Highly recommended.  

News Comments > Overwatch Horizon Lunar Colony Map on the PTR
2. Re: Overwatch Horizon Lunar Colony Map on the PTR Jun 1, 2017, 11:04 theglaze

Pigeon wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 10:12:
It helps the ultimate, but not the McCree buff I was hoping to see. Compared to the other offensive heroes he's the least mobile, has the least survivability, and requires the most amount of mechanical skill. IMO they should increase the stun duration, or do something with his roll to give him more mobility or survivability.

Every hero has weaknesses for balance and to encourage teamwork. It's not that I disagree with you, but solid team support around a McCree that can aim it's as deadly as any other hero.

450 Comments. 23 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo