Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 904 (Graduate)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

28. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 17, 2020, 09:04 theglaze

Alllll aboard the hype train, pre-order now!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.

12. Re: etc., etc. Jan 16, 2020, 13:23 theglaze

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 12:31:
I'm still using my Rift CV1 which is awful now, I've had the funds to buy an index and use it but I'm not sold on upgrading yet. Pimax just revealed more headsets and I'm still on the fence about best experience for money. It looks like the Rift S is best bang for buck.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize Pimax introduced Artisan at CES, I just thought they were showing off the 8K display.

I'm still rocking the Oculus CV1, in fact, I built my system around its performance requirements back in 2018. I've been saving up for a next-gen CPU and GPU to compliment a new VR headset, but at this point, I don't know what upgrades will shake out as the best combo.

Index + HL:VR will be an interesting time!

10. Re: etc., etc. Jan 16, 2020, 10:11 theglaze

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2020, 09:49:
Samsung killed Gear VR. It isn't compatible with the most recent phones, and the most recent hardware, from 2017, hasn't been sold for over a year. Google shut down Daydream and Cardboard. There is no longer a phone-based VR offering.

Personally, I have no clue if VR will catch on. I think the biggest thing holding it back is that most people don't want to be cut off from the outside world, and aren't comfortable doing so. More modern headsets alleviate this by allowing you to flip to a camera showing you the outside world, but it still leaves many people feeling very vulnerable when left totally out.

AR solves that, but no one has found a real headset-based AR solution. The original Microsoft Illumiroom demo showed the power (even if it was projector based), but as Magic Leap is showing us, we're probably still a decade from any visor-based AR being worthwhile.

Good points.

One of the issues preventing VR from becoming more prevalent within the PC space is the increasingly divergent headset technology.

I would have bought an Index for iRacing, however, the developer is having a hard time keeping up. Turns out the SPS feature can be enabled within the simulator's VR engine, and executed incorrectly on the Index, if the user is not using an RTX 2000 card. There are no warnings prompted to the user, and the consequences are disorienting to the user's vision with lingering effects that continue AFTER usage.

I want Index to be a success, because someone needs to set the 'standard' on PC VR gaming.

7. Re: etc., etc. Jan 16, 2020, 09:19 theglaze

It usually takes a long time for leading-edge-tech to become prevalent among Joe Consumer.

Example: Backup cameras for cars. According to Wiki, the concept was introduced in 1956 (Buick), but it took 35 years before it was implemented into a real production run until Toyota in 1991 Japan. It took another 20 years before introduction to the US via Nissan in 2001. Move on another 20 years to today, and I’d say the backup camera should be considered “maintstream” because its offered by almost all manufacturers, some even include it as default.

I know this isn’t apples to apples…

Oculus Rift was introduced in 2012, but first production launch was 2016. Now in 2020, there are dozens of manufacturers competing on multiple platforms, to which the Valve Index is the “best” hardware on the “most” established/flexible gaming platform.

If you consider backup cameras for cars to be mainstream, VR is close within an incredibly short amount of time.

I said it in a different thread, VR will become "maintsream" when mobile phones just offer the ability at no extra cost. Samsung Galaxy's already do. It'll blow up when/if a title like Pokemon GO becomes VR or, better yet, AR.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 15, 2020, 12:04 theglaze

Glorious Model D Mouse Review - TechPowerUp.

Mine was just delivered Evilgrin

Shape feels good, can't believe how light it is compared to my last mouse (69g vs 147g). Looking forward to testing it out.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 15:56 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 15:22:
theglaze wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 14:25:
Follow-up: Anti-vaxxers celebrate victory in NJ as pro-vaccine bill falls apart.

Just a couple months ago, my cousin's child (4 year old) became ill, and it dramatically accelerated. In less than the week, the whole family was transferred to an urban hospital, where they were quarantined for days with the sick child, because no one knew what they were dealing with. He survived the nearly fatal, and rare flu with complications, but the hope is that his youth will conquer any long-term effects.

He was vaccinated, maybe a week or two, just before showing symptoms.

No one in my family is up in arms, or suddenly supporting anti-vax... but having seen the emotional toll, and the easy connection of "cause and effect", I can understand the perspective of those that have suffered or lost children in such circumstances.

Did the doctors do a culture and compare it to the vaccine?

There are a couple samples that have been sent internationally for further analysis; I believe the results are expected in 3-6 months (now 1-4). I'm not sure how related to the vaccination the tests are.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2020, 14:25 theglaze

Follow-up: Anti-vaxxers celebrate victory in NJ as pro-vaccine bill falls apart.

Just a couple months ago, my cousin's child (4 year old) became ill, and it dramatically accelerated. In less than the week, the whole family was transferred to an urban hospital, where they were quarantined for days with the sick child, because no one knew what they were dealing with. He survived the nearly fatal, and rare flu with complications, but the hope is that his youth will conquer any long-term effects.

He was vaccinated, maybe a week or two, just before showing symptoms.

No one in my family is up in arms, or suddenly supporting anti-vax... but having seen the emotional toll, and the easy connection of "cause and effect", I can understand the perspective of those that have suffered or lost children in such circumstances.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2020, 15:49 theglaze

VR or AR will go mainstream the minute someone develops a Pokemon GO experience that can be played on the streets… followed by the massacre of thousands as AI-driven electric cars plow through players that are oblivious pedestrians with erratic behavior to which no algorithm can predict.  

News Comments > Get Headsnatchers for Free

3. Re: Get Headsnatchers for Free Jan 9, 2020, 20:44 theglaze

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 20:39:
Here’s another freebie
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/sundered-eldritch-edition/home
Sundered is a chaotic hand­-drawn metroidvania where you resist or embrace ancient eldritch powers, a challenging and unique take on a classic genre from the creators of Jotun, now with local co-op! Don’t shoot the messenger

Wow that looks incredible... I don't want to play it as much as just watch hah

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 9, 2020, 19:57 theglaze

Duos should be permanent  

News Comments > Overwatch 2 This Year?

17. Re: Overwatch 2 This Year? Jan 9, 2020, 12:44 theglaze

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 09:28:
After your 50th match you have to be bored out of your mind if not before.

I can understand that it's not your jam.

But are you suggesting the gameplay doesn't have depth with 31 characters, each drastically unique from one to the next, allowing for extensive combinations in teamwork with small or big plays, all whilst trying to foil or counter the other team, and exploiting the advantages of the map as the battle rages on...?

I guess I just see a different game than you do.

News Comments > Overwatch 2 This Year?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2020, 16:28 theglaze

NKD wrote on Jan 8, 2020, 12:07:
Well it's not much of a sequel for sure. All new heroes, and maps, and PvP game modes will also be in Overwatch, and the PvP is crossplay. Seems like all you need to buy Overwatch 2 for is the cooperative PvE modes.

True, but I bet there will be specific skins and other customizations that will only be available to OW2 owners. Normally I don't bite on that kind of stuff... but I MUST own everything awesome for Zenny.

News Comments > NVIDIA and ASUS Introduce 360Hz Monitor

13. Re: NVIDIA and ASUS Introduce 360Hz Monitor Jan 6, 2020, 13:25 theglaze

Rhialto wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 13:08:
Marketing will gets you...

I think this is useless, the human eye have some limits. Can't wait for a demo that will show me a difference on a 240Hz screen vs a 360Hz.

I don't know if this is absolute truth but by my own I also think the human eye have its limits.

It's displaying a new image every 2.8ms, compared to 6.9ms of a 144Hz screen. That means less lag from mouse to screen (the player's input), and faster game updates from the computer to screen. It's not about "detecting" the difference between one or the other, it's about reducing bottlenecks to enable faster decision making.

What's the ideal situation? Top end gaming mice are polling at +1000Hz. So, ideally, the perfect monitor would have 0ms lag and match each refresh of mouse movement.

Do you think you could tell the difference between that, and a 250Hz mouse on a 60Hz screen? I'm guessing most of us would.

News Comments > NVIDIA and ASUS Introduce 360Hz Monitor

5. Re: NVIDIA and ASUS Introduce 360Hz Monitor Jan 6, 2020, 11:43 theglaze

Perfect, now crappy netcode and online lag will be 3 times more apparent.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

35. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 4, 2020, 19:24 theglaze

I just wish posts that I make with quotes (of people who later get removed) don't also get removed. Makes me look like a bad guy in this thread.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2020, 15:06 theglaze

Hades, the well endowed electric motorcycle, gets a little more modesty. New meaning to the phrase crotch-rocket.

I'm really confused, there is NO front suspension in the fork design. That's like CAD drawing a plane without landing gear.

News Comments > Into the Black

8. Re: Into the Black Jan 4, 2020, 12:23 theglaze

It was a fun ride with the big screen, 3D glasses, and the motion DBOX seats. It's Disney after all! The lightsaber battle on the sea wall was perhaps the most spectacular.

That said, I knew they were over killing it when the seat delivered about 50% kick power as Rey (in a non-combat scene) simply plugged a cable into a droid.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

3. removed Jan 3, 2020, 14:51 theglaze

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 3, 2020, 18:27.

News Comments > SuperData 2019 Year in Review

1. Re: SuperData 2019 Year in Review Jan 2, 2020, 12:18 theglaze

Free-to-play games accounted for 4 out of every 5 dollars spent on digital games in 2019

wow

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

3. Re: The Netflix decade: How one company changed the way we watch TV Dec 23, 2019, 12:44 theglaze

Lazy article about Netflix.

Good point on the languages.

I agree about the piracy, but I think things are swinging back that way! There are now too many streaming content providers, each offering their own original content... the money saved by not paying that monthly TV cable bill is diminishing because you need to pay for each service to have access to the content that interests you.

I haven't torrented a show in a while... but I wanted to watch Chernobyl. Instead of renewing my subscription for 1 show, I went to ol'faithful.

Meanwhile, all of these services diminish or completely remove advertisements. So, indirectly, Netflix's success has helped propel the marketing industry into data mining + social media advertising because of the lost audience of traditional TV viewership.

904 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >