Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On November 1, 2011
Supporter -
Total Comments 983 (Graduate)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2020, 11:24 theglaze

WaltC wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 11:04:
...the flu--so far has killed far more than COVID-19--and the flu has been ignored and flu deaths are all confirmed and verified

I understand where you are coming from.

When you generalize 'the seasonal flu kills more people', keep in mind that you are referring to hundreds of viruses with groups and sub-groups that make up the seasonal influenza, and many of these have existed for a looooong time. Most of us have immunity to dozens of these because of past exposure.

COVID-19 is new, has only existed in humans since December 2019, and no one has immunity from prior exposure. It is an Influenza A virus.

It is not an apples to apples comparison to the seasonal flu, especially when considering the molecular structure of the virus.

WaltC wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 11:04:
Birx and Fauci have done an awful job so far--notice how their predictions of "death tolls" keep getting lowered almost on a daily basis?

Declining numbers are resulting from governments and the private sector listening to the epidemiologists, and increasing actions to limit the spread through quarantine and physical isolation requirements.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 7, 2020, 01:04 theglaze

I'm still in the Intel camp for the raw core speed, which is critical in sims that I frequent. I haven't been with AMD since... the Althon Barton days, I think I had an overclocked 3000+ with a solid copper Thernalright heatsink!

I would also skip this LGA 1200 platform from Intel, but is released just because of competitive pressures.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 23:33 theglaze

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 5, 2020, 22:05:
U.S. ‘wasted’ months before preparing for virus pandemic

I struggle to be believe that it is just the incompetence of the US Administration. And yet...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 20:30 theglaze

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine.

I'll raise you, Lonely Town, Lonely Street

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 12:24 theglaze

Alamar wrote on Apr 5, 2020, 11:57:
Tim Duncan was not only an amazing player, he was an amazing (good) sportsman... Really had a lot of respect for that man, so am glad to see his name called out of something like this.

Here, here

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 18:24 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 17:35:
theglaze wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 16:32:
CDC shows you how to make a simple coronavirus face mask in 45 seconds.

I think it's just the American government trying to calm the public with a "solution" that doesn't really work. Sure it may block spittle from being ejected, but the air exhaled by someone infected is full of COVID-19 virus. The virus is so small it will easily evade the fabric knitting... like rain coming through a screen door.

Were the virus itself aerosolized, you would be correct. However, from what I've read, the virus is only being transmitted via water droplets from sneezes and coughs. A cloth mask can catch most of these before you breath them in. Reducing the viral load you uptake reduces your chances of getting severe symptoms.

You're right, the current belief is that the active virus cannot be transmitted through bio aerosols in normal situations, and that has been proven 'questionable' through contrived lab tests and unique situations with medical equipment in hospitals.

But what about a normal situation? If there were an infected person in my apartment building, and they reached the point of needing hospitalization to save his/her life, they would need to get their own ass there or call for an ambulance. Either way, they'll need to use the building's elevator.

That stale, elevator air. This person coughing through an old t-shirt, now slick with mucus and spit. The confined space energized with invisible virus. And 30 seconds later they are out of the elevator and on their way....and someone else steps into that elevator, with mask made from a dishcloth.

Sure it's better than nothing, I'm just saying, don't think it'll save your ass.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 16:32 theglaze

CDC shows you how to make a simple coronavirus face mask in 45 seconds.

I think it's just the American government trying to calm the public with a "solution" that doesn't really work. Sure it may block spittle from being ejected, but the air exhaled by someone infected is full of COVID-19 virus. The virus is so small it will easily evade the fabric knitting... like rain coming through a screen door.

News Comments > Valorant Breaks Out

1. Re: Valorant Breaks Out Apr 3, 2020, 18:50 theglaze

There's some potential here  

News Comments > Game Reviews

1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 3, 2020, 14:13 theglaze

BabelTechReviews: We were somewhat surprised that the Radeons that are normally equivalent to their GeForce counterparts in pancake gaming and in VR are somewhat held back by microstutter, and we hope that upcoming Adrenalin drivers will address this.

Seems like Radeons have ALWAYS struggled with VR when compared to GeForce.

Clearly shown here, all 6GB cards directly struggle compared to 8GB and more ram.

News Comments > GRIP: Combat Racing Adds VR Support

3. Re: GRIP: Combat Racing Adds VR Support Apr 1, 2020, 11:42 theglaze

It's been on my wish list for a while...

I have Redout which supports VR and it's actually not that nauseating, despite all the fast turning and loops. I played a lot of Wipeout over the years, so maybe I can just stomach it.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 30, 2020, 16:16 theglaze

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 13:49:
theglaze wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 12:37:
Deepcool Assassin III CPU Cooler Review: Slaying the Competition - Tom's Hardware

Weight: 42.7 oz / 1210g

Rotfl
you're point? Cause it's a liteweight

Noctua NH D15
Weight (with 2 fans) 1320 g

https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

That's NH D15 weight with a fan.

This Assassian net weight is 1464g

Either way, hanging 3 pounds of metal off a mobo is nutty. Although I did rock a Silver Arrow back in the day before AIO liquids.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 30, 2020, 14:01 theglaze

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 12:45:
WaltC wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 11:25:
... the BBC, itself--a major source of UK fake news...

Proof please.

There's been an uptick in more click-bait articles, more opinion pieces posed as factual, and other manipulation to drive up user interaction... but ALL major media outlets are doing that around the world too.

Personally, I still hold BBC News as one of the most trustworthy sources out there. But I think for myself, question what is presented, and dive into the details or original sources if I think something smells funny.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 30, 2020, 12:37 theglaze

Deepcool Assassin III CPU Cooler Review: Slaying the Competition - Tom's Hardware

Weight: 42.7 oz / 1210g

Rotfl

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx No VR Mod

8. Re: Half-Life: Alyx No VR Mod Mar 30, 2020, 00:35 theglaze

Been taking my time with the HL:A, just found the flashlight tonight. Shining light with one hand, aiming a gun with the other...and every reload requires the flashlight hand. Monsters gaining ground in the darkness. Desperately searching for them again in the darkness with a fresh clip. There's just no way this experience translates to m+kb.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2020, 16:37 theglaze

Intel Core i9-10900K leak hints that the CPU is ready to lead the charge against Ryzen 3000.

Not that impressive... scores 5.1% faster in single core, and 3.7% faster on multi-core compared to 9900K.

Needs to be far more compelling than that to justify a new board purchase to LGA 1200.

The socket is compatible to LGA 1151 coolers, so we'll see an apples-to-apples comparison on overclocking when it launches.

News Comments > DiRT Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition Races Out

2. Re: DiRT Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition Races Out Mar 25, 2020, 18:46 theglaze

Dirt Rally 1.0 makes me instantly nauseous and I was hoping Codies would fix the implementation for the sequel. Reading the reviews, looks like the Oculus Store version STILL has better VR support for the headset than Steam. So it's a hard No for meeee....  

News Comments > Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx

9. Re: Valve on Modding VR Out of Half-Life: Alyx Mar 24, 2020, 12:43 theglaze

VR is what makes the game fun (so far). Let me describe my first death.

There were a group of barnacles blocking my path forward, long tongues touching the ground. I don't have enough ammo to shoot my way through, so I need to find objects to toss into the traps.

That's all classic HL2 gameplay.

I see a dead body, and figure, why not this guy? I teleport to exactly where I want to stand, barnacle to my left and the body to my right. I reach out with my hands and start pulling the legs of the dead guy. Then I notice a glowing collectible under the body, so I walk closer and pick that up. Back to the task, I start pulling the body again but realize now that it's stuck. I reposition myself and give it a big heave... and finally things start to move... but I'm being hoisted up! I must have backed my butt right into the barnacle, and I'm getting higher by the second.

I look up and and its teeth are chomping, saliva raining down. I desperately switch to my pistol, and fire off a handful of rounds in a panic. They all miss. My pistol is empty and I fumble to put in another clip. Things are getting darker, and I drop the ammo! I watch it bounce on the ground while sloppy teeth bite above me. I have enough time to look up and cringe to the sight and sound of my own decapitation.

Classic HL2 death, but in VR, it felt completely different.

Convert that experience to M+KB, and you may as well replay HL2.

News Comments > HP, Valve, & Microsoft's "Next Gen" VR Headset Revealed

7. Re: HP, Valve, & Microsoft's "Next Gen" VR Headset Revealed Mar 24, 2020, 10:45 theglaze

Also, for the most demanding VR titles (driving, flight, and space simulators), pushing the Index to it's max spec resolution and refresh rate requires top-end CPU and at least a 2080 Super.

If HP's new headset features even higher resolution, or faster Hz, then it's outpacing current generation hardware. That's what the Index did last summer.

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Review Roundup

17. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Review Roundup Mar 24, 2020, 10:38 theglaze

Armengar wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 03:10:
Beat saber lifespan is simply the songs and we have exhausted beastsaber songs that we like.

My understanding is that you can search for and import new 'maps' via a whole community of mod makers. I'm just beginning to explore how to do that, and can relay my findings to you.

Disabling dev updates to the game is important, even now you may need to revert back a month or two, and Steam supports that because it's an early access title. Also I ave a suspicion that the actual music is not included with the maps, and you may have to dig that up separately. But the mods and documentation are fairly robust.

News Comments > HP, Valve, & Microsoft's "Next Gen" VR Headset Revealed

1. Re: HP, Valve, & Microsoft's "Next Gen" VR Headset Revealed Mar 23, 2020, 20:01 theglaze

Reverb is a great headset; I wonder how the development and production has been affected by the virus. Now is perfect timing to announce and even take pre-orders with Alyx interest just taking off.  

983 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >