Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Billy Mitchell

Real Name Billy Mitchell   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname theglaze
Email Concealed by request
Description Try my hot sauce.
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 1, 2011, 22:27
Total Comments 666 (Apprentice)
User ID 57201

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 21, 2019, 13:29 theglaze

A sim racer just beat an ex-F1 driver in a real-life race.

Awesome! GT Academy has produce some great talent too.

Today's industry momentum is also a function of consumer-grade simulators/hardware hitting a real-enough quality that the skills learned directly translate to actual driving. Germany "...recently established Sim Racing as an official motorsport discipline."

From my own experience, Max Verstappen joined an online practice session I was also in around Suzuka in iRacing a few weeks ago. Unreal how quick he is.

I think pro's prefer that simulator because it only simulates steering column rotation through the wheel force feedback.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Launch Trailer
3. Re: Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Launch Trailer Jan 14, 2019, 18:25 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 12:57:
theglaze wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 12:19:
Was hoping for surprise VR support... but it's the same ol'

There will be VR support, but not for MP, and not for the entire campaign. Apparently, only select missions will be available in VR.

This is because while PlayStation 4 system players will be able to play a full campaign in standard mode, PlayStation VR access is limited to exclusive and dedicated content with specific missions developed for the virtual reality (VR) headset.

Bummer. Hopefully they'll patch in VR for the full campaign for PC ver.

Thank you for the info!

News Comments > Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Launch Trailer
1. Re: Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Launch Trailer Jan 14, 2019, 12:19 theglaze

Was hoping for surprise VR support... but it's the same ol'  

News Comments > EVGA NU Audio Card Announced
7. Re: EVGA NU Audio Card Announced Jan 9, 2019, 12:51 theglaze

My current ASUS board has the best onboard I've ever heard, Supreme FX S1220A codec with headphone amp. Close to on par with my good'ol Xonar Essence STX.

But if you don't have decent headphones (+$200 entry), the differences between an add-in card and onboard are too subtle.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 9, 2019, 00:20 theglaze

Simon Says wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 16:33:
theglaze wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 13:19:
Benchmarks are out for that 2060, and it's basically got 1070ti/1080 performance, and has launched at $200/$100 USD LESS.

Whoever was whining, quit it!

Still priced as a x70, not a x60. Performance improvement less than the 1060 that easily beat the 980 and which was still 100$ cheaper at msrp.

Strange how "whining" means having a working memory for some people.

Also, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2fPWQQSdu4

Same is true with the 2060^^

Christ, is that a spreadsheet YouTube video?

Fine, Iím wrong. The 2060 has an inflated price like the rest of the lineup.

Hopefully poor sales lead to quicker price drops and some good deals for next fall/Christmas.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jan 8, 2019, 16:18 theglaze

shinchan0s wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 15:47:
There are some peculiar aspects to this approach to character generation, though. Each character gets three traits, things like obsessive, lazy or misogynist. One of the modifiers is "gay" but "straight" isn'tóthat's just the default, which is painfully heteronormative and outdated for a game about the far flung future.

That's a stretch.

lol good find

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2019, 13:19 theglaze

Benchmarks are out for that 2060, and it's basically got 1070ti/1080 performance, and has launched at $200/$100 USD LESS.

Whoever was whining, quit it!

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2019, 22:35 theglaze

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 21:55:
theglaze wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 15:54:
Considering the prevalence of +144Hz and 4K monitors, plus increasing VR (Pimax has begun steadily shipping 5K+ models)...

4K and VR account for less than 2% of the total market share. The vast majority of gamers don't give a shit as 1080p or less is good enough for more 90% of them.

You're right, it takes a bloody long time for the masses to adopt.

Take refresh rate for example. I haven't used a monitor less than 85Hz since my Viewsonic P95F back in the early 2000's... I can't believe they STILL sell 60Hz monitors to gamers. But thank god there are people out there that value the bleeding edge, otherwise we'd all still be on fuzzy CRTs with those beautiful colours that I still miss.

News Comments > New HTC Vive Hardware and Viveport Subscription Announcements
1. Re: New HTC Vive Hardware and Viveport Subscription Announcements Jan 7, 2019, 17:56 theglaze

Neato... but does the eye tracking work with users wearing glasses?

It could be super useful for simulation racing titles, especially with review mirrors in the cockpit. I know with iRacing, enabling a single mirror drops performance by 20%, and all mirrors can cut performance in half. Eye tracking could be very helpful in those situations.

News Comments > Valve Getting the Bans Back Together - Sets New Monthly VAC Ban Record
1. Re: Valve Getting the Bans Back Together - Sets New Monthly VAC Ban Record Jan 7, 2019, 17:52 theglaze

When the battle royale mode launched with the free access, it was cheater free for a week or two. I think saw two spinning aimbots back to back, and haven't tried the game since!  

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2019, 17:50 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 15:20:
Still not sure if I should RMA my RTX 2070. Runs Furmark and Heaven fine for hours, but crashes (reboots) on Valley after only 2 minutes. My concern is that it's not the card, but the power supply, which is 9 years old at this point. I'm thinking I should try one of these first.

Thoughts?

Intel 3570K Core i5 @3.6 GHz
16 GB of PC 2100 RAM
Asus Z77 Mbd

I've RMA'ed my 1080 TWICE, a flagship GTX. It worked flawlessly for a period of time, then the occasional glitch, which increased in frequency until it failed completely.

SO if it's the card, through my experience, it will become increasinly evident.

As for PSU, did your card ship with the molex converters to PCIE 6pins? I'd try those first before questioning power output.

News Comments > G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors
18. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 16:01 theglaze

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 15:55:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 15:32:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 13:29:
Hardocp did a blind Freesync vs G-Sync taste test.

tldr
Even though the G-Sync system was considerably more expensive than the FreeSync system, AMD held its own and actually pulled ahead with our gamers.

They can shove their lie of a "blind test" up their ...
CJ, sometimes you are a clueless twit. Welcome to one of those times.

But HardOCP is perhaps the most biased website I visit for hardware opinions, and AMD cards do have worse latency in every benchmark I've ever seen...

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2019, 15:54 theglaze

Don't look at just $ and ignore architecture complexity and performance gains, the transistor count has been steadily increasing. Considering the prevalence of +144Hz and 4K monitors, plus increasing VR (Pimax has begun steadily shipping 5K+ models)... IMO the applications exceed AMD/NVIDIA's abilities to engineer.  

10. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 14:29 theglaze

WaltC wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 13:08:
...Like Dell...Apple...

Solid references, they both use to be dominate leaders in their industries. It takes a series of blunders to lose momentum and market share, and then strategy changes to provide more value to customers (like Apple finally allowing battery replacement).

In this case, the sheer number of FreeSycn monitors has helped AMD turn this situation into their win.

Interesting to see that nvidia will let any user try VRR with any monitor, because that could have a negative influence on the end user experience in the 98% of the cases where it doesn't work good enough for nvidia's stamp of compatibility.

7. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 12:01 theglaze

Avus wrote on Jan 7, 2019, 11:32:
G-SYNC either need to free or die.

"For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, weíll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too."

Boom, it's free!

3. Re: G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors Jan 7, 2019, 10:23 theglaze

On the compatibility list, looks like the Acer XG270HU is the most compelling @ 27" 1440p 144Hz, but a TN panel without height adjustment or swivel. It's $300 Canadian cheaper than GYSNC equivalents.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Jan 4, 2019, 12:55 theglaze

Developer Remakes P.T. in Unreal and Adds VR Support.

Dope! Will try this tonight Devil

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 4, 2019, 10:52 theglaze

Beamer wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 10:02:
Once you go pro, just use your own damn name.

Agreed!

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 4, 2019, 09:34 theglaze

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2019, 23:31:
Overwatch Pro Quits After Harassment Over Whether She Was Really Playing.

Well, that sucks. Can't blame her tho.

"...it seems that the OW community isnít ready to just view a player as just a player. We wanted a player..."

Then why did team management treat her differently by not showing a photo or real/fake name, like everyone else on the team?

They created this situation, through ignorance or deliberate action for publicity.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 19, 2018, 12:37 theglaze

Musk shows a 1-mile tunnel and a car doing 30mph... and says he'll burrow under the biggest cities in the world so people can travel 150 mph? His rhetoric remains at epic levels...  

666 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo