Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for clint

Real Name clint   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname clint
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Sep 24, 2011, 10:44
Total Comments 132 (Novice)
User ID 57117

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
86. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 20:38 clint

Can be used as a vr room, it knows where your walls are, allows standing up, full moving around, (think startrek holodeck). Reviews said its much "better" with motion sickness, vive is heavily pushing open market.
Also linked to steam and 100s? of millions of users.
Steam has Early access built in, and heaps of indi developers already building stuff for it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release
39. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 20:32 clint

People line up around the block for a slightly better phone than their current phone every year and pay more than this for it. People definitely have the money.

This is a very big change and new experience which I think is worth more than updating your phone. And most similar specced phones cost more than this.

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
83. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 20:21 clint

Its about what I was expecting,
People line up for miles to pay more for a new phone every year that is only slightly better than the last one. Plenty of people have the money IF they capture the peoples interest and it FEELS worth it. Just wait for every day people reviews to come out and a couple grand for the experience will be worth it to many.

Seriously if it had an apple logo on it, and could only work with a top of the line mac people would be lining up for it.

An equivalent specced mobile phone costs about that much or more.

The biggest problem for me is throwing around 200-400 costings a bit pre-emptively and forcing inclusion of a xbox one controller.

And whats with the shipping costs.... holy shite!

News Comments > Yet Another New Steam Record
11. Re: Yet Another New Steam Record Nov 2, 2015, 17:23 clint

a few more factors,

There's been alot of push by steam to integrate the steam app to your account for verification.

Wish list and sale notifications have been crazy this week.

I noticed on one of my pcs after a steam update that the automatically login at startup got reticked again.

People preordering fallout 4 are getting ready.

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds
18. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Collector's Edition Refunds Oct 12, 2015, 18:18 clint

"We understand that some customers in North America were not aware the Collector’s Edition delivered digital versions of the game and soundtrack"

That's not a apology or admitting any mistake. That is very close to saying that the customers in NA are stupid and confused.
I saw the original post for this on reddit and the Ubisoft sales page for this swiftly changed from including game disks to Digital Download as the post and complaints started. Another Dodgy cover up.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Spectator Cam
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Spectator Cam Aug 6, 2015, 03:52 clint

The only good thing I saw in this post was LAN, yaye a game we can actually play with people in the same room again. This game looks perfect for in house gaming and trash talking. Tempted to preorder right now. Almost.  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Phantoms Patch; Trial Pack
1. Re: Ghost Recon Phantoms Patch; Trial Pack Jul 8, 2015, 18:07 clint

Hope they release a version of this game without the pay-2-win stuff and have everyone on the same level, just teamwork, skill and gear choices. Set a single payment for the game and play on.
The first levels are the best fun Ive had in a while, until you hit the higher, pay-2-win crowd in the later levels, then it is a totally different game with you pumping multiple shotguns shells into the back of the head of a skill-less (but rich) kid, have him slowly turn around and hit your foot just once using a tiny gold pistol and you die.

News Comments > The Division Trailer
9. Re: The Division Trailer Jun 26, 2015, 20:40 clint

They have to stop showing stuff, it looks worse everytime I see it. Both in gameplay and graphics.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M
44. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 10, 2015, 20:17 clint

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 13:30:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 12:39:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 09:53:
Would be nice to know how many was PC version and how many of that were free copies with video cards.

SteamSpy shows about 570k owners on Steam and the video card copies were GOG-only. Given that Steam is by far the largest distributor of PC games, I'd estimate total PC sales (including bundled copies) are probably around 600k-700k.
I thought the combined number would have been more.
Every key seller place were selling GOG copies not Steam, and just about every place except Steam had the game on sale before release.
Still a respectable number.

also every physical disk version was gog, which sold qute alot in stores. Im guessing more like half of the 4 million is PC.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale in Spring?
7. Re: Steam Summer Sale in Spring? May 29, 2015, 20:56 clint

a small petty nitpick but i wish they had another name than 'summer' sale since alot of the world will not be entering summer in june.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 10, 2015, 18:12 clint

most likely business', schools etc where the bills get lost in accounts payable. Where a contractor upgraded them to faster broadband but it is up to the company to cancel the dialup. I also worked at several schools where the dial up was cancelled but the ISP made a 'mistake' and the account didnt get cancelled.  

News Comments > Steam Game Bans
56. Re: Steam Game Bans Apr 30, 2015, 19:29 clint

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 13:54:
I don't cheat in games so not a problem for me.

I doubt anyone has a problem with banning a cheater, at least temporarily.... Some people here have a fear of some devs using the banning system to protect their game from a bad image, eg Person calling out issues in a forum, missing features, bugs, give a bad review which can start a bad image for a game. Good devs will try to fix and patch their games, bad devs will go ban ban ban ban.

News Comments > Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods
38. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:35 clint

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:30:
NKD wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:58:
But like I said, Valve does deserve a decent cut for hosting, listing, and handling the business end.

Do they though? They are already selling the game via Steam and getting 30% of every sale. Many people might not even buy the game if it weren't for the (free) mods. The workshop is also great advertising for Valve and giving people an incentive to prefer Steam over other DD services. Does Valve really deserve more money on top of that? What for? And why now and why hasn't free hosting been an issue before?

But as I said, my main issue is BETHESDA'S cut. Which is many times higher than what they'd get licensing their tools and IP to a mainstream developer.

Yeah. Bethesda should not get another cut either just like Valve. They sell the game for over three years and it includes a "free" (not really since it's part of what you pay for) modkit for people to do as they please. Changing the rules mid-game and supporting Valve's greedy cash grab attempt to charge for mods is very lame indeed.

I can visually imagine the fat bloated red face of GabeN after a few glasses of wine and a similarly fat bloated red face of a Zenimax exec and how they dreamed up their new mod cash empire at some meeting at a convention. They probably thought of themselves as the greatest geniuses of all time as they repeatedly slapped their fat knees in laughter and choked on the wine.

An absolutely disgusting display of greed on all sides. I can't do much to boycott Valve as I have too many games on Steam unfortunately but I sure as hell won't buy the next Bethesda offering at anywhere near full price (if at all).

Think bigger and not just skyrim or just bethesda, think All PC games. This was a sales pitch to game developers to be steam exclusive. Thus the percentage ratios.

34. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:29 clint

jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:27:
descender wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 18:57:
Musicians get 8%. Actors get 10-15% at best. Why do we think the modders with no power and no voice will get a better deal?

One could also argue that Steam is taking a smaller cut than they deserve for the potential bandwidth costs of hosting of a popular mod. I can understand the gripes with the 66% that Bethesda is taking. That does seem like... a lot... but I don't get the gripe that the modder's 25% is unfair in any way. 25% is a lot more than 0%.

Would they prefer it go back to 0%? Or should they take what they can get now and bargain for a better deal later? (obviously the latter)

Not really comparable to actors and musicians, both of whom benefit enormously from studio resources from equipment to marketing. Modders design, build, test, publish, and promote on their own. Bethesda already made their money on the base game, and modding has been shown to increase sales (DayZ says "Hi") so they're already making more than they normally would. If the goal is truly to attract good, full time-modders to the scene, they should give a more generous split.

True, but what if the main reason is not to bring modders to the scene, but bring in big developers to be steam excusive.

31. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:25 clint

clint wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:24:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:21:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:07:
Valve's announcement on pulling the plug.

I came here to rewrite the announcement in a "what they really think" style, but I guess there's no point in pouring water on a fire that's already gone out.

Definitely a case of "What the hell were they thinking?"

Imagine if it worked though, Steam would have triple A developers running in to be steam exclusive. They were the real customers, the modders were the service being provided

30. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:24 clint

deleted  

26. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:21 clint

descender wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:48:
NKD, the models aren't different. The modders (artists) want to sell their content (music) in Steams (label) market... that's exactly what I described and exactly why the cut's those type of artists should be relevant (at least in regards to Valve's cut I suppose). Content distribution, marketing and advertising... those are the things the label (Steam) takes money from the artist (modder) for. Calling the bandwidth costs "background noise" is just trying to handwave away factors that are actually important. One of the modders in another thread was talking about more than 6GB per month of downloads through the Nexus, that's not cheap and the audience and possible number of downloaders on Steam is 100000x what the Nexus offers.

I do agree, the Bethesda cut is high... I would have expected the Valve cut to be higher though, or that it at least be 50/50 between them.

I still think that anyone complaining about the 25% is absolutely nuts. Is it low? Sure. Is it the worst deal ever? No, of course not. Yesterday you were making pennies, now you are making .25 on the dollar over thousands of sales with millions of potential customers. They should just take what they can get and worry about getting a better deal later when they can get organized (modders unions?).

Obviously Valve/Bethesda have backpedaled on this now and rightfully so. Dropping this into the middle of an existing mod community and allowing modders to charge for existing mods was a recipe for disaster. They should have waited until they had a new 3rd party game to launch with this modder payment plan or at least forced them to produce new content to charge for. Then they could have slowly rolled it back into existing markets like Skyrim rather than let the modders make fools of themselves in the eyes of the community.

Steam are selling steam exclusivity, that is why the developer percentage is high. It is a sales pitch to triple A developers to be steam exclusive. Sell on steam, only on steam. Look at our exclusive services, modders providing premium content you do not have to work on, but it makes money for you long term. Look at our market of always online users. It is a kill the competition move.

8. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 19:14 clint

Have to admit, that was some good PR work going on there.

Yes the real reason behind all of this is to grow more steam exclusive titles and kill off the competition. It is not the modders that steam is rewarding, it is developers who go steam exclusive. It is a sales pitch and reward to selling exclusively on steam. The customer here is the developer, The gamers and modders are the service offered.

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
127. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 26, 2015, 22:57 clint

the problem is anti competition, Valve are giving 45%+ to the game makers to bring all games to steam and not sell on gog, origin etc. Game Devs exclusivity is the aim here. Sell on steam, only on steam.
Valve knows modders make mods for free, so for 25%, they will make mods for steam exclusively. Game developers make heaps extra from those mods and sell their games exclusively to steam. If mod support is only on steam then people only buy on steam. It is a kill the competition move by valve.
Also I fear paid mods becoming a planned move by developers to make money, eg, deliberately leave out elements to have it paid modded in later, eg, coop modes, more levels, more guns etc. It is a new level of dlc that the developers dont even have to make. or secretly make as a mod, not labeled as dlc and still sell lots of horse armor.

How will future games be made knowing they could make a fortune and not do any work by having others filling the unfinished work. Now DLC is filling the gap that game makers used to do for a full game price at release time, next is modders to do all the work.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2015, 23:09.

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Update Released
12. Re: Half-Life 2: Update Released Mar 28, 2015, 18:07 clint

needs synergy to support this, coop halflife 2 is awesome  

132 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo