Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for ShawnK

Real Name ShawnK   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname OldTimber
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 5, 2011, 14:28
Total Comments 110 (Novice)
User ID 57012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025

53. Re: SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025 Dec 3, 2012, 08:35 OldTimber

grabbed it on steam, played maybe 5 hrs and dumped it the other night in a deletion spree of stuff i'll never look at again. Just didn't see anything in it as the engine beyond the player models looks horrible. Overblow sun flares don't make a environmental mood. And gotta love the whole bright white ice planet, guess the devs saw Hoth in ToR and figured hell we can make a brighter retina burning out planet of our own. It suffers from the Battlefield/Tribes design problem, all that terrain generated but combat is only in small areas. Should be aware of your surroundings if you decide to walk across the landscape, but then nobody would sit out there scoped to a area to pick off anyone like that.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits

16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 3, 2012, 08:31 OldTimber

bingo, can wager that for most users who bought duals 4-6 years ago or quads 3-3.5 yrs ago they see no need to upgrade even. analysts seem to think that all companies need to do is throw out new chips of small upgrades and people are just going to run out and replace all their equipment again. Tablets are just consumption devices since a touch interface beyond the basics is horrid to use on a long term basis. Better yet cut a finger or 2 slap some bandages on and see how fun it is to use a touch screen.

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 2, 2012, 15:24:
PC Sales in the US are down 14%, maybe because the computer they bought last year isn't going to get all that much better with buying a new one this year?

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Launches

15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 05:51 OldTimber

Hmmm ran around for almost 2hrs before it crashed to my desktop, but then looked like the servers went down also so not sure if it was a chicken or egg issue.
Felt way too much like the original Tribes to me, never played PS1 so can't compare it to that.
Engine probably will be better for a pure MMO, just didn't seem right for now. Would love to see what could have been done with something like the Just Cause 2 engine in this game.
Movement brought back the old Unreal engine feel compared to a idtech engine game, just not that smoothness to it and more of a jerkyness.

Probably will give it another try or 2 but just can't see paying the 14.99 a month for a sub for something like this. No loot and just can't see paying for some xp/resource gain percentage.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs

6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 14, 2012, 02:54 OldTimber

Filing 2 patents. First one on the process of entering alphanumeric values on a min-maximum character-based input field while the second covers interactions with a fixed amount of fields containing predefined alphanumeric values via a touch device or mechanical clicking device as displayed on a screen of varying sizes.

Also know as patenting forum posts....enjoy

News Comments > Mists of Pandaria Sales Disappointing?

38. Re: Mists of Pandaria Sales Disappointing? Sep 28, 2012, 02:53 OldTimber

Gotta love analysts to begin with. iphone 5 pushed 5 mil units and sales weren't there, now a expansion for WoW pushes 600-700k, boxed units, in a couple days and sales aren't there. Digital sales were probably bigger and that went directly into Blizzards piggiebank and won't be know until released. People probably wanted to play right as the new content went live at 3am eastern for the US servers so they had it bought and ready to go. The only barrier holding back sales is the usual requires the previous expansion to play. So a new player would need the base game, BC, Wrath, Cata and then this so that might leave some sales on the shelves.
Shoot I did the same thing back when Cataclysm went live and thought about going back to see it again as I dropped my sub probably 3 mo's after Cata since I was just burned out on MMO's. I figured sure I would like to play the monk class but do I really want to grind through 1-60 in vanilla area, 60-70bc, 70-80 wrath, 80-85 cata just before I see the new content of this expansion? Granted xp gains are probably better so can probably move to the expansion areas a level or 2 ahead by now but still the thought of seeing that content again stopped me from going back for now.

News Comments > WoW Screenshot Watermarks?

20. Re: WoW Screenshot Watermarks? Sep 12, 2012, 01:38 OldTimber

Bit late but finally got around to rooting around in my last install of WoW. This is Wrath to Cata screens and the marks are clearly there in the standard client version. The marks are there once you sift through a few images and sharpen them to the right amount then you know what to look for and can easily be found in others once you know the pattern used.
Pretty much they are aligned in the center portion of screens with ones light on textures the easier ones to pull out, while ones with alot of texturing require a longer look. Think of it like those old stare at posters to pull the image out to understand.

And jacking the quality to 10 to remove them doesn't work, always set my screenshots to the highest setting in the game and they are there.

Probably have some older screens somewhere else but this was my last install of WoW so my older vanilla and BC ones are somewhere else to dig out. I nuked that install when I quit after BC for awhile but kept the screens and decided to keep the last install around on another drive if I get suckered into going back to play.

News Comments > More Chris Roberts Game Teasing

20. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 04:14 OldTimber

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 20:50:
Wait, he made Strike Commander? The fucking best story driven flight sim ever made?

Ok.. I am curious ,9
The Commander part in the title didn't tip it off? or that it was also a Origin, the real one not the BS EA pulled now, release?

News Comments > NPD: U.S. Video Game Player Totals Drop

11. Re: NPD: U.S. Video Game Player Totals Drop Sep 6, 2012, 01:40 OldTimber

Pirates are the cause!!!
Oh wait didn't see that mentioned guess they forgot to add that into their usually release.

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Drivers

9. Re: New AMD/ATI Drivers Aug 16, 2012, 05:05 OldTimber

"Up to 5% in Just Cause 2"
Really? Ran smooth enough last year and is 5% more really needed?
now try to improve the framerate in SWToR.

News Comments > TF2 Mann vs. Machine Update Wednesday

13. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Update Wednesday Aug 14, 2012, 02:31 OldTimber

4fort for the original TF was great with the 4 teams and a lava pit in the center if i recall.
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 23:54:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 23:15:
Bah, just horde mode. I was hoping that they'd introduce some kind of crazy red vs blue vs gray multiplayer mode.
Yeah. There were maps that had three teams in TFC, though I don't think they were particularly popular. Personally I'm glad that Valve keeps trying new things.

News Comments > Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift

24. Re: Doom 4 Will Support Oculus Rift Aug 4, 2012, 03:04 OldTimber

SpaceOrb for the head that is all, now back to your regular mouse and monitor setups.

Anyways it's only a useful HMD is you get in a small room where you could attach Kinect sensors to each wall, feed them into one discreet signal to be interpreted and processed to fully intergrate it into a full system experience.

News Comments > Sanctum OS X Plans

8. Re: Sanctum OS X Plans Jul 29, 2012, 05:36 OldTimber

I thought this used a Unreal engine since it pretty much behaved like one when I picked it up last year during the steam sale. Pretty much was hitting every tower defense game last summer to kill the time and while this was ok, it just wasn't interesting enough for me to reinstall during my winter rebuild.  

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Progress Report

15. Re: Torchlight 2 Progress Report Jul 18, 2012, 01:42 OldTimber

Maybe they are just waiting for EA to buy them up. Then at somepoint direct them redo it with some shitty engine from 8 years ago so it can be released as a MMO.  

News Comments > EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period"

48. Re: EA to Jul 3, 2012, 07:34 OldTimber

Can I have what you smoked? Hell isp's will start charging more once this is fully implemented. And just wait until one publisher does a deal with one of the cable/telco companies to be a tier-1 distributor, think they bitch now with people using netflix/hulu/etc as it cuts into their vod services? oh ain't seen nothing yet.
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 21:12:
Now the real question is, are they going to be offering rebates to people who live in countries with low bandwidth caps? Nothing like blowing $60 on a game, and another $30 for data charges.

News Comments > Source Filmmaker Announced; Meet the Pyro Released

26. Re: Source Filmmaker Announced; Meet the Pyro Released Jun 28, 2012, 02:21 OldTimber

haven't had a good laugh in awhile and this vid was what i needed. Pyro = Gru from Despicable Me there i'll say it. nicely done and the plot just fits the character perfectly.  

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition

37. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 02:31 OldTimber

Initial thought: Lol at this method.
second thought: seriously?
third thought: glad I wouldn't play it anyways but just a silly idea
fourth thought: so maybe their customers should be able to pay in 3 parts instead of all upfront to play a demo for 3 days.
fifth thought: future email that'll be coming. hey look pandaland is coming soon! resub to your WoW account to get early beta access.

News Comments > The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play"

53. Re: The Old Republic Lead Designer: "We Are Looking At Free-to-Play" Jun 15, 2012, 09:40 OldTimber

The game setting is okay but the engine is a bloated horrible piece of crap that was made to compete when WoW launched.
On a quad core with 16 gigs this is the game: AA in the game looks horrible. It's choppy on some planets where I'm the only one around. Some quest events bring the system to a slideshow as it is so horribly done. Every 3rd npc is a fat bloated rush limbaugh wannabee so it's no wonder the Old Republic fell, couldn't move to do anything.
It's great playing overnight when I'm the only one on a planet or fleet at times. But hey they're folding probably 75% of the servers into the remaining 25% to get the populations up.

I really wish Turbine got a SW license as I'd like to see what they could do with it as they have a good track record with running/developing MMO's.

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Revealed

18. Re: Star Wars 1313 Revealed Jun 1, 2012, 07:56 OldTimber

Oh well was hoping it was a announcement of Turbine working on a new SW MMO so it wouldn't suck. Or maybe Trion as they seem to have their crap together with Rift also.  

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Revealed

17. Re: Star Wars 1313 Revealed Jun 1, 2012, 07:54 OldTimber

THANK YOU! someone else thinks like I do about Fett.
Wildone wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 02:53:
Great, a game about a bounty hunter that completely sucked in all the movies and who got his ass kicked repeatedly.

News Comments > Mech Warrior Online Beta This Week

12. Re: Mech Warrior Online Beta This Week May 23, 2012, 02:00 OldTimber

Now this is gonna be bigger than that pos GW2. can smell the fail on that game already, just like the facebook ipo all hype nothing to back it.  

110 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >