Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shiho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name
31. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2016, 17:48 shiho

Total-Khaos wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 16:48:
So I'm still going to have my Battle.net desktop application? No, it will be renamed to Blizzard Tech or something even more retarded.

IRVINE, CA: Blizzard Entertainment has released a follow-up announcement. In regard to our new "Blizzard tech" moniker, we want to clarify some things. No, you will no longer see the Battle.net icon in your system tray. The new "Blizzard" tech is an innovative approach that fully integrates itself into your operating system at the networking and filesystem layers. You'll never even know it's there!

Please be aware that some antivirus products, such as Kaspersky or Norton, may falsely detect Blizzard tech as a "rootkit". This minor inconvenience should go away soon, as we bribe them with giant wads of money.

Sincerely yours,
Bobby Kotick

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 22, 2016, 17:41 shiho

I am really concerned for this woman's health, and think she should drop out and take some serious self-care, because the stress of this election is breaking her.

I don't care of that makes Pence the candidate, or of it gives Sanders another stab at it, or whoever else - I have this feeling that Hillary should say, "fuck your expectations, fuck the money, fuck the promises, it's my life and I choose to live it".

But of course, she is not going to do this, and instead will basically murder herself, regardless of whether she wins or loses.

Hospitals are the worst. No amount of politics is worth ending up with a breathing tube.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 22, 2016, 17:30 shiho

@HorrorScope: Really, you're going there? Well okay, I'm gonna let you hang on to that if it makes you feel better

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 08:03:
Oh Jesus fucking christ. I didn't think these kinds of morons were gamers. Fucking hell. It's permeating and infecting everything. Humanity is doomed.

Nah, I just have the perspective of growing up in a totalitarian regime, and am immune to the 1984-style brainwashing which is happening in American colleges and mainstream media. Now complete with "2 Minutes Hate" perpetuated against the likes of Trump and Cruz, in the media cycle, over and over.

I also follow a wide range of news sources, from CNN to Drudge, and have not forcefully severed my connection with reality and common sense. And I do believe in allowing dissenting opinions, no matter how stupid they are, and a censorship-free Internet. First Amendment is a great thing, and thus, ICANN should be controlled by what is still the free beacon of the world - compared to everyone else, at least. Have a good look at Britain, lately?

But to each their own, y'know ;)Feel free to stick to your insults.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 22, 2016, 06:19 shiho

Russia, China and IRAN are members of the "new ICANN". Chinese "new ICANN" office is in the same building as their vast Internet censorship brigade.

America has been the beacon of freedom in the world, compared to pretty much any other country. It invented the Internet, it built its initial infrastructure, and it should've remained the gatekeeper.

Obama's relinquishing ICANN to an international body is sabotage. If this made "no technical difference" to the function of the Internet, and was "purely clerical", he wouldn't have bothered. Internet censorship is part of this man's agenda, as he has proven to be a dictator through and through. This child-king jailed a filmmmaker (Dinesh D'Souza) for making a critical movie about him. He has a thin skin, and would love nothing more than to shut down those pesky dissenters. "Fairness doctrine", anyone? So, there will be, in fact, a functional decline in the Internet freedom, even if it won't be immediately obvious.

And of course, after Obama is booted out of the White House (which will need to be thoroughly bleached), he will do his utmost to secure a position at the UN, and "contribute" to the future of the Internet in that way.

Ted Cruz is a patriotic man who is following his conscience, despite being mocked by our Soviet-style government-media complex. God bless him and godspeed.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2016, 06:36.

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
1. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Sep 21, 2016, 19:11 shiho

Mandatory month waiting period to see how many people's computers explode.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 21, 2016, 19:10 shiho

Good luck removing that upgrade thing from my system. The moment it appeared, I removed all permissions from the executable...  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous May Drop Win32 and DX10
4. Re: Elite Dangerous May Drop Win32 and DX10 Sep 19, 2016, 21:26 shiho

Creston wrote on Sep 19, 2016, 21:03:
So this is basically people still on Windows XP, right? 7 has DX11 out of the box, and I think even Vista has 11 if somewhat patched?

DX11 support is needed in hardware. For example, NVidia GTX 260 is an old, bulky card, which has no DX11 support, but otherwise it still pushes thru a ton of polygons with the older APIs.

On Win7+ it will NOT run DX11 games like Alien Isolation, despite the OS providing DX11 API.

As a side note, I do find it interesting that

1) Elite Dangerous is still alive
2) They think they can afford to drop any players whatsoever

Fascinating.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 19, 2016, 18:04 shiho

SpinRite does appear to make things worse. It just grinds the drive too much in trying to retrieve data from damaged clusters, damaging it further.

However, Gibson's other stuff does work, and has been useful. His web-based firewall security checks, the hardware DEP check utility, all those little things are quite useful and functional.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 14, 2016, 18:02 shiho

Under Trump, Snowden may in fact get a pardon, because it is thanks to him, that we know about the NSA surveillance program being boosted under Obama. Thus, he hurt Obama's "most transparent administration in history", which works for Trump.  

News Comments > Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud
42. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 13, 2016, 20:18 shiho

Indie devs use sites like Keymailer to get visibility, and Steam is now murdering part of this idea.  

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption PC Rumors Resurface
45. Re: Red Dead Redemption PC Rumors Resurface Sep 6, 2016, 17:42 shiho

Missed PC release deadline by 5 years. Good luck with that.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour
14. Re: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary Edition World Tour Sep 3, 2016, 16:16 shiho

Willing to bet money that the co-op multiplayer will be as broken and unplayable as in Megaton edition, or even worse. They probably designed the new episode without co-op in mind, too, because, well, everyone forgot how to do it.  

News Comments > HITMAN Disc Release Detailed
1. Re: HITMAN Disc Release Detailed Sep 1, 2016, 04:07 shiho

The episodic release model has been a disaster. Between your episodes, people forget the freakin' controls and game mechanics, not to mention forget about the game. Square Enix, you can go suck it.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Legion Launched
20. Re: World of Warcraft Legion Launched Aug 31, 2016, 17:00 shiho

WoW emulation was created by the community. I am not sure how these servers on that site are ran, because last time I checked, the only feature-complete emulation of WoW is "WoW classic" 1.12, and the biggest server of that is Kronos 2, which features thousands of people, and is free.

JohnBirshire wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 10:55:
shiho wrote on Aug 31, 2016, 05:06:
Watching videos of what's become of WoW, all I can say is Thank Jeebus for the community painstakingly preserving WoW classic via emulation.
Pfft, community, hah.

There are companies, not communities, making millions of dollars a year hosting WoW servers. www.warmane.com They have WotLK, Cataclysm, and MoP servers. More people online than you'll find on any WoW server as well. For example, one of their WotLK servers has 12,000 people online right now. Many WoW servers have 1-2,000 if they're lucky.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Legion Launched
17. Re: World of Warcraft Legion Launched Aug 31, 2016, 05:06 shiho

Watching videos of what's become of WoW, all I can say is Thank Jeebus for the community painstakingly preserving WoW classic via emulation.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown
40. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 26, 2016, 17:00 shiho

When Duke3D Megaton edition, aka "the definitive playable version" came out, without promised multiplayer, and then kept delaying and pushing it back, I predicted that they are stalling and will never have functional multiplayer.

The developer got pissed at me and banned me from Steam forum. Then, eons later, my cousin and I tried the alleged multiplayer. It was a buggy, laggy mess - and we lived in the same city.

Now they pulled that game from Steam store entirely, to erase the shame. Guess someone's trying again?

Meanwhile, I recall, there was one way to actually play Duke3D in co-op, and it was to install a very specific old stable version of eDuke32, but I don't recall the version number.

SlimRam wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 05:27:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 26, 2016, 04:44:
DSOGaming has already confirmed that this is just yet another re-release of Duke 3D, with some minor enhancements and new content.
Ah so it's not a remaster but more like a re-release? Balls...nevermind I guess

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown
26. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 26, 2016, 05:13 shiho

Sepharo wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 21:15:
There's a whole series of screen capped posts of that one trolling the other on his facebook posts.

http://imgur.com/gallery/2Vvy9

Make sure to load the remaining 6 images too.

A low IQ individual being mocked by a medium IQ individual. Not sure who to feel sadder for.

News Comments > Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing
28. Re: Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing Aug 17, 2016, 23:00 shiho

@descender: As a former decent Tribes: Ascend player, I had a noticeable advantage with ping of 30 over ping of 40. If you were less stubborn than you are clueless, you'd start doing your own research. Tragically, the two qualities in you are equipotent. Good luck with that.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 15:57:
stuff

1) IPv6 should be disabled when not used. In my anecdotal experience, doing so improved Realtek LAN stability. I followed Internet advice.

2) QoS should probably be enabled, though I still haven't figured out exactly how that shit works. This is what I theorize at the moment:

* You need QoS to minimize instances when you copy files on the LAN and they choke movie streaming on the LAN.

* The only way it MAY work (MAY), is if you set "QOS: Do not use NLA" to "1" in TCP Optimizer, and set the number above it to 20, which appears to be percentage of reserved bandwidth in order to prevent stream saturation.

* Priority&VLAN setting in your adapter should at least have Priority enabled, because this is linked to QoS packet tagging (?!)

All in all, this is how I set things based on the information I have.

3) RSS is one of those "too complicated to work" features. Applying multithreaded processing to single-thread processes (aka incoming network traffic), is heavily going to depend on programming skill of whoever implemented it. And it looks like half of it is coded by the driver team of Taiwanese child slaves.

On my LAN disabling RSS fixed streaming movie hiccups. I was breaking my brain trying to figure out what was happening, with 20x more bandwidth being available on the LAN than was needed for streaming a 480p video file, and during one scene it just kept going to 15fps. Disabled RSS, went away. Enabled it, 15fps again.

Many people's computers have C-states enabled, as well as SpeedStep.

Plug into that the complexity of multi-core processing... juggling various shut-down parts of the CPU... I just... from programming perspective this just doesn't sound like something they can get right.

The other statement you quoted, basically amounts to this: "your CPU is too slow to deal with low buffers, but RSS makes the processing faster, so you don't lose packets". I am not sure that's how things actually work.

After the RSS part, it's Windows traffic management that has to deal with flow control in software. Whether RSS is enabled or not. Right?

Or, you can try enabling Flow Control in the adapter itself - there's conflicting advice about it, as it may interfere with Windows' traffic management, but on the other hand, it could save CPU cycles?

I dunno, this stuff sounds iffy, especially considering that online gaming traffic doesn't put much demand on data processing in the first place. And if you're gaming, you probably made the effort to shut down your Bittorrent. I'd rather make sure the packets are processed in proper order, in a streamlined fashion.

And if you do run Bittorrent or anything TCP-based, really, you're not going to lose much by dropping packets. The control mechanisms work pretty well.

4) I don't know about buffers. It's a weird thing. I am not sure whether buffers are actually processed in linear fashion or not. I noticed that decreasing buffers on the Intel card to the minimum (80), alleviated SOME of the packet aggregation created by the shitty power ethernet adapter, and gained some responsiveness in Tribes: Ascend.

However, if the power-ethernet wasn't in the way doing its garbage, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I also don't know exactly how much data a "buffer" contains, and whether it is universal among manufacturers. Realtek 8139 had that setting in Kilobytes, so I understood it, but now I don't.

In general I set receive buffers to 256 and send buffers to 128 to achieve necessary balance between responsiveness and not overloading the system with flow control handling.

Right now I am using an Intel PCI card with buffers of 80/80, aforementioned QoS-related stuff enabled, everything disabled except for TCP and UDP checksum offload.

Because it's Intel, and their brand of Taiwanese slave programmers are known to be less retarded.

I also disabled "Windows Heuristics" for handling TCP adaptivity window in TCP Optimizer. It's like a manager on top of a manager, Office Space-style.

And yeah, ECN is highly questionable because it can mess with your actual Internet traffic. The world is not ready.

Unfortunately a lot of this material is scattered around the Internet in bits and pieces, so that's my current "reality" of it. It may change.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2016, 23:08.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 17, 2016, 03:29 shiho

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 14:24:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 13:37:
Though I wouldn't be surprised if its also so they can more easily hide crap that consumers would otherwise not want. Sounds like it would eliminate the ability to not install update XYZ.

Hit the nail on the head. They have been trying more and more inventive ways of suggesting users of Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade to 10, and take part in their "telemetry services" through windows updates. I keep a list of the KB numbers to avoid and always prevent those from installing. With the update structure they seem to be moving to here, that likely won't be possible. I'm going to have to make a slipstream installer for windows 7 with windows update disabled, if this turns out like I expect it to. Fucking MS.

Technically it should be still doable. Someone needs to keep a blacklist of malicious updates, and add them to a growing .bat file which you run after every Microsoft update pack.

News Comments > Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing
25. Re: Overwatch Tick Rate Increasing Aug 16, 2016, 01:08 shiho

descender wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 00:13:
No. Disabling Nagle's and TCP Checksum Offload were popular fixes because of WoW.

So, yes? Didn't I just say that?

No. You implied that ALL of the settings I mention only apply to games like WoW. You also claimed that they only affect TCP protocol, which is incorrect.

Increased CPU access is merely one of the possible side-effects of one of these setting changes.

I don't want to harp on this topic all week. Believe what you want.

The side-effects is what happens when those features are enabled.

You really should've stopped this a while back, when it became evident you are poorly informed. Maybe you can stop now?

If you use old drivers, old NIC's and old OS's then maybe some of these settings will help. Sure, they all technically "decrease latency", it just doesn't translate to anything tangible in the real world.

Given how Interrupt Moderation is packet aggregation - meaning more information is buffered before it gets processed - it does affect gaming response time. Glueing together several ticks worth of gameplay data, that otherwise had a chance to be responded to, has its consequences, regardless of whether your in-game latency checker shows it or not.

So do broken checksum calculations, which result in retransmissions.

Your 10ms sugar pills are delicious! :)

You can in fact gain 10ms depending on how fucked up your network adapter is. And 10ms is huge.

Edit: It would appear that you've been posting this same information on other message boards for over 3 years. 3 years ago they were much more important changes to make.

Actually, the faster computers get, the less reason it is to rely on manufacturer's hacked-together code squeezed into "lowest-cost" hardware, and all the more reason to make the hardware do only the bare minimum, and offload all those extra "features" onto the "spec" traffic processing code which is part of Windows itself.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo