Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shiho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 722 (Apprentice)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
64. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 21, 2014, 13:29 shiho

The whole "Titanfall on dual core machines" scenario is hilarious. Titanfall runs like shit on anything but very modern hardware. Because it is unoptimized and overrated garbage, and by now is quite likely dead.

Quake Wars was an amazing game which had Titanfall built-in and oh-so-much-more depth than an average online FPS. I wish it was still kicking.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 21, 2014, 02:35 shiho

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 21:02:
And I said that where? Oh, right, I didn't. What I did say was misusing a platform in a manner other than intended was stupid.

Further, there is zero proof that SSDs are in any way, shape or form more "durable" than HDDs. Look, if you want to jerk off over your Samsung 850 Pro, that's fine. I have one, too, and they are in fact awesome. However, let's not spread your opinionated bullshit as fact. The BEST case I have seen for SSD durability is from The Tech Report right here. However, that's only 1.5PB of reads and writes. That's it. Even then, 66% of the drives are dead and only one of the two is still going strong with showing no signs of errors whatsoever.

On the flip side, I have a single 4TB drive that has written more than 10 times that amount and read more than 20 times that amount in two months and guess how many write delays I've had, let alone anything more serious like read failures, seek failures or sectors flagged as bad? ZERO! That's right, none!

By your claim, the HDD should be a flaming wreck whereas an SSD would be smiling from on high like a beneficent deity. Too bad real world testing and application blows your opinion out of the water.

Your numbers look highly suspect. But throw a few more masturbation references in there, maybe that'll fix 'em.

Oh, you mean the statement where I was intellectually honest and said "Now, I grant that most people aren't going to have that kind of storage available. However, there's absolutely NOTHING stopping the average person from owning a 2TB drive"? That statement?

I saw that statement. However your situation naturally predisposes you to a wasteful attitude when it comes to hardware, which permeates your worldview as clearly seen in your replies.

If the owner of said 2TB hard drive is a mouth breathing retard who doesn't understand the concepts of "uninstall" and "delete", then sure, you are going to fill that up pretty fast.

The average user doesn't just play games. They have digital media which also fills up the space pretty fast.

All in all, the value of a 2TB drive is greatly diminished when "every mouth breathing retard" starts releasing bloated games, and apologists like yourself enable them to do so.

Pretty much like shitting in a toilet and never flushing it. Mouth breathing retards do that, too.

Boy, you sure... showed 'em!

Or something.

The minute you said "essentially", you lost any sort of intelligent response capability.

I care greatly about your word fetishes.

I don't see 3% of a standard hard drive size to be anything less than "reasonable". You are free to return to the glory days of DOS and 3.5" 1.44MB floppies. That way you can bitch and moan when anything takes up larger than 10MB as that's half your hard drive space.

When all else fails, reductio as absurdum.

(slow clap)

Those of us who live in 2014 and use equipment that was not purchased at Walmart for $199 have large drives, brutally fast components and systems that don't even blink when you dump 200 gigs on them, let alone a paltry 55GB.

If that makes me an "apologist" for not giving a flying fuck about the system resources I purchased to be used actually being used, then I apologize profusely for using my systems EXACTLY in the way they were designed and built to be used.

See that's the thing I mentioned earlier about your setup influencing your views. Thanks for making it so clear, you elitist douchebag.

You clearly have zero real world technical knowledge on the use of large data stores and it's glaringly obvious when you try to pontificate on resource utilization. If you're running an embedded system on bespoke hardware that's microsized, then you'd have tenuous leg to stand on. But we aren't and it isn't and you don't.

Optimization is a universal virtue when done within reason. Obvious and blatant lack of any optimization, on the other hand, is both stupid and irresponsible.

You are well-acquainted with both those concepts.

Agreed, which is why someone like you should never, ever try to pontificate on effective and efficient usage of large storage pools, arrays or volumes. Leave space calculation and "reasonable" judgements to those who do understand and don't shit their panties over a mere 3% usage case.

Chlorella is greatly beneficial to colon/bowel environment. Start taking it and perhaps your mind won't always be so preoccupied with fecal matter.

58. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 21, 2014, 02:17 shiho

NKD wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 22:19:
I think you misunderstand the concept of "magical". Everyone knows that quality lossy compression exists. Some of those compression methods are actually quite decent. (JPEG is not one of the decent ones BTW). But many are extremely computationally expensive and only save you another 7 or 8% of space over a method that takes 1/10th the computation. They are not suitable for real-time graphics.

You're missing the point. When you need 55gb for a COD game, a large chunk of your game data, be it textures, level data or audio, is not using any compression whatsoever. Nor is there any intelligent handling of redundancy.

There's no way around that. Textures are already compressed using very effective industry standard methods. There are no huge gains to be made there.

How do you know that when it comes to COD? And what about the audio?

Indeed. That's why it's requiring 6GB system RAM, and only 1GB of VRAM.

6GB requirement is monstrous for unambitious scripted linear corridor shooter that is COD. Especially considering that technically superior in every way games, like Crysis series, i.e. games with actual LEVELS and top-of-the-line graphics, ran perfectly fine on 4GB.

Everything becomes known in comparison.

52. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 19:51 shiho

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 19:07:
shihonage wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:51:

Second, with SSDs becoming more popular, HD space is at a premium again. And even if it wasn't, 55 gigabytes is a massive amount of information...

While I care little for the pissing contest going on about this, this small part I take an exception to and here's why:

There's no reason you should be using a single SSD as anything more than a boot drive. It makes no sense to use it as your storage device for infrequently used executables (infrequently being whenever you load it up and not running constantly). It is like buying a Ferrari so you can haul dirt and take the kids to the market. Outside of morons, who does that?

Further, 55GBs is nothing. I have 56 TB of storage available at my command. 56TB. Now, I grant that most people aren't going to have that kind of storage available. However, there's absolutely NOTHING stopping the average person from owning a 2TB drive. A quick check on Newegg and Amazon shows them to be less than $100. So, since 1000GB = 1 TB, that means that installing this game takes up a whopping 3% (rounded up from the actual 2.75%). 3%. Why, I'm practically agog at how much space that is!

Even if you're running an SFF box like a Shuttle (which one of my machines is), you STILL have the ability to have two hard drives and an optical drive so physical mounting space isn't even a real explanation for having an SSD only build.

If someone's storage drive is a small SSD, then the fact is that they are idiots, plain and simple.

1) Space issues aside, SSDs are more durable than HDDs now. So the Ferrari's "wear out" example isn't valid.

2) You have about 30 times more storage than an average user, so your entire perspective is heavily skewed. And a 2TB drive can fill out pretty fast with space-hungry games made by stupid people.

Essentially, apologists like you are enablers for poor programming and design. The core problem here is insufficient level of technical understanding necessary to estimate just how much space/resources taken by a specific product should be considered "reasonable".

The most dangerous kind of idiot is the idiot that knows just enough.

50. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 18:51 shiho

NKD wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 16:30:
This is a pet peeve of mine. These morons bitch about games not utilizing PC hardware because consoles. But then when the next generations of consoles launches and requirements finally shoot up, they bitch that apparently the fact that it wants more hardware is now a NEGATIVE because of consoles.

What the actual fuck? Does no one see the logical disconnect there? Upgrade your shitty wooden PCs or switch to knitting or golf.

Some related peeves.

"Hurp durp, why so much VRAM, these textures aren't ULTRA SUPER MEGA RESOLUTION"

Because the memory is used to create MORE textures, not just wasting it all on the diminishing returns of having a super high resolution texture on that piece of rubble no one is going to be paying attention to. There are also other "textures" mapped to objects beyond the base art, like normal maps and whatever else.

Optimization involves knowing when inactive textures can be swept into slower system memory. CoD series is hardly known for amazing open vistas with complex geography that you can explore up-close.

"Why so much CPU, the AI is still sucks!"

Because the CPU is being used elsewhere for basic game logic. Like so much else, it's a trade off. You can have five guys with super cool AI routines, or you can have a fully populated city with more rudimentary NPCs running around. Plus you have to actually account for the AI in your gameplay, it's not as simple as just turning up the "Smart" dial to 11.

How does this any of this apply to CoD games? They have neither super cool AI routines, nor large autonomous areas with freeform gameplay.

Their pathfinding is rudimentary, and all the cool stuff is rigidly pre-scripted.

"My hard drive is literally a record player from 1937. Why they need so much space?"

Because more art assets equals more space. There are no magical compression algorithms that take away the basic fact that more pixels of art means more bits of space.

First, there ARE magical compression algorithms which drastically reduce image size with minimal quality loss. You may be familiar with the general concept of such compression in form a JPEG file.

Second, with SSDs becoming more popular, HD space is at a premium again. And even if it wasn't, 55 gigabytes is a massive amount of information for such a game regardless. It is insane, in fact, and clearly compression and intelligent asset reuse were neglected on several levels.

The list goes on and on.

No, it doesn't.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Trailer
12. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Trailer Oct 20, 2014, 07:24 shiho

Uncanny Spacey lookin' better than ever  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
14. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Sep 25, 2014, 23:38 shiho

The last stable driver is known to be 337.88. Before that, 314.22.  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M
57. Re: Wasteland 2 Earns $1.5M Sep 25, 2014, 06:59 shiho

This game is exactly what I expected it to be, and therefore did not pledge.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2014, 21:47 shiho

Stopped watching after they tried to gross me out in the first few minutes as much as possible.

They succeeded.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans
13. Re: Alien: Isolation Survivor Mode DLC Plans Sep 18, 2014, 23:18 shiho

This game is gonna be crap. Therefore, DLC will also be crap. Case closed.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 16, 2014, 08:12 shiho

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 15, 2014, 20:13:
I believe he's the cause of ISIS and the hate for the west.

He's the Bieber of Youtube.

Oh wait-

News Comments > Star Citizen Patch, Ships, Trailer
32. Re: Star Citizen Patch, Ships, Trailer Sep 15, 2014, 07:47 shiho

mj_popcorn.gif  

News Comments > Alien Isolation Specs
22. Re: Alien Isolation Specs Sep 11, 2014, 08:11 shiho

I'm 95% certain this is going to be another Colonial Marines fiasco. Don't preorder this crap.

It will be a trial-and-error game with zero fun value, a misguided design that works during brief exposure during demos and on video, but not as an actual game.

News Comments > Transverse Announced
20. Re: Transverse Announced Sep 10, 2014, 06:55 shiho

InBlack wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 02:40:
I gave up on MW:O when I figured out that Clan Wars was goddamn lie. There is no cake.

Now these clowns are trying to poach CR's suckers... Jesus Christ, why not, I dont know, hmmm let me think, crowdsource a Mechwarior single player campaign!!!???

Indeed. Mechwarrior as an MMO was a shitty idea from the start. They should've made a tribute to Mechwarrior 2 instead, a single-player game of epicness.

Unfortunately nobody can really make a game that feels as good as MW2, because it used an excellent engine with flight sim physics which were military grade. Because the dude who wrote that engine used to make military grade simulators.

News Comments > PopCap Founder Pops Out
31. Re: PopCap Founder Pops Out Sep 7, 2014, 06:35 shiho

Cutter wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 18:57:
How the fuck ISIS is our problem? These guys just want what they've wanted all along, westerners out of their countries.

Go far back enough in history, way before there were "westerners in their countries", they were doing the same shit.

They will be doing the same shit once the westerners are out of their countries. They will be performing genocide on their own people just as they do now, repressing and castrating their women, brainwashing their children into culture of death, and constantly trying to fuck over the political systems and start conflicts in all pockets of the world where they gather en masse.

Radical Islam is a militant political regime. Always has been. Always will be. It is a constant danger to the civilized world, it accepts no compromise or negotiation, and it understands nothing except superior power.

Unfortunately, students cocooned into America's leftist education system have been brainwashed into believing that Christians are the real enemy of the modern world, while peace-loving Muslims are merely misunderstood.

Brainwashing is hard to wash off, because nobody who is brainwashed understands that they are. Such people have long lost the ability for critical thinking or seeing factual information from an unbiased perspective. Political correctness alarms blare in their head, stopping them from stepping into "radiation zone". Really, it is very effective hypnotism, and it is the most effective on the young, every which one of them wants to feel truly enlightened.

News Comments > Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs
6. Re: Revised Ryse: Son of Rome System Specs Sep 6, 2014, 18:36 shiho

You don't need to handle the GPU side. You can run your games in 1080p on a 4K monitor. The upscaling should work well in this situation.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially?
10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially? Sep 4, 2014, 00:14 shiho

From everything I've seen, ESO is another single-player "MMO". That they want you to pay monthly fee for. HA!  

News Comments > Alone in the Dark: Illumination Trailer, Details
5. Re: Alone in the Dark: Illumination Trailer, Details Sep 2, 2014, 04:00 shiho

Wow, this is an awful trailer.  

News Comments > Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining
25. Re: Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining Aug 31, 2014, 06:04 shiho

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 31, 2014, 02:52:
shihonage wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 19:55:
It was created by ActiBlizzard Of New, directed by idiots like Jay Wilson, who saw Diablo as a mindless clickfest for ADHD tweens, and made it exactly into that.

Was it ever anything else than that? Don't think so. You're kidding yourself if you do. It's probably just you outgrew Diablo since it was about a decade between 2 and 3 but it's always been a retarded clickfest for short bus riding monkeys.

When it comes to Diablo3, there is a laundry list of factual retarded design decisions that were a reversal of those made in Diablo2 by a much smarter team.

So it is you who is kidding yourself here. It is typical for people to assume that a game with better graphics has better gameplay mechanics underneath, but in reality a lot of older games had brilliant coding and design which was never repeated again.

Here are just a few of those items off the top of my head:

1) The core element of roguelikes, dungeon generation, is completely broken in Diablo3. Dungeons vary very little, because they consist of large art pieces. This cannot be fixed with a patch due to the need to completely rework and reformat all the art.

WE CAN STOP HERE.

Really, if this was the ONLY FLAW, it would've already made this game utter shit. No further explanation needed.

2) You could play Diablo1/Diablo2 while ignoring the story completely, and it never got in your way. The games were just vast roaming spaces with a town in the middle, and entrances to various dungeons. Diablo3 made an effort to be story-heavy, which in turn railroads the player in the beginning section of the game, and in general further removes randomization. It also accosts the player with stupid in-game cutscenes at every step. In Diablo2, you would move around while NPCs said their taunts, but in Diablo3 every one of them insists on reading you War&Peace.

Diablo1/2 were games with brief NPC background talk, and the rest you could find in town by listening to gossip, IF YOU CHOSE TO. Diablo3 NPCs are like an annoying spinster who rarely gets any visitors, so they talk your fucking ears off.

3) There is no way to customize stats.

4) There is no concept of distinct character builds, no sense of careful investment. This is just another lazy move by designers because they've failed to balance the game and are really afraid some builds can't get through it. Another rational solution would've been to just get a respec option for a moderately punishing price. Or maybe have a synergy system from Diablo2.

5) The character archetypes in Diablo2 were very clear, and their abilities were pretty intuitive. In Diablo3 they're a moronic mess. Their unneeded backgrounds are written to appeal to tweens, and worst of all, the characters look and sound appropriately. And for some reason my mage guy always looks like an Asian woman. They all look stupid except the Barbarian, the only unmolested class from the prequels. Necromancer, an excellent class, was removed once again as to not be controversial and not to upset the 3-year-olds they want to be gobbling up this game.

6) While we're on this subject, a lot of satanic references and "controversial" imagery were removed. The game became Disneyworld, with monsters no longer having a solid pre-rendered look, but instead made of colored paper-mache. Curiously, Starcraft2 managed to retain the solid look of its prequel. It's just the Diablo3 team that screwed the pooch.

7) The cretinous blur filter which still has no in-game option to turn off. Once you install DarkD3 and see how much texture detail this filter OBSCURS, you will ask what the designers were thinking.

8) As further extension of this, Diablo3 characters are now allowed to look like flamingoes from distance.

9) The player downtime in towns in Diablo2 is something I really liked. In an action movie you need moments of silence in order for the action to not get old. Diablo3 team deliberately stated they pretty much hated town downtime and wanted the player to always be in the action. As result, several decisions were made, including allowing each class to identify their own items. A muscle-bound brute now is a lore historian like Deckard Cain. They killed him off in this NU DIABLO, because thanks to their stupid decisions, he became expendable.

10) No real control over town portals. It's trivial to always be up-to-date on another player's location now. There's no danger or exploration as you catch up to a team who has an old portal up. No strategic placement of portals before a big fight. No need to buy town portals, no joy in finding them lying around either.

11) The gameplay in co-op feels like fighting by myself with other people near me fighting by themselves. Diablo2 was much better at encouraging people to cooperate. Paladin with his auras, Necromancer would create walls to control enemy flow, and plomp golems inside the isolated pockets...

To make a long story slightly shorter, Diablo2 was a masterpiece compared to this heinous piece of overstreamlined garbage. Removal of player agency is the THEME of Diablo3.

I haven't outgrown Diablo2, just as I haven't outgrown Fallout1, or X-Com1, or Battlezone, or Mechwarrior2, or fucking Doom... which are all games of stellar quality, and some of which I was replaying fairly recently.

Starcraft2 managed to repeat the magic of the first game. But that's because they didn't throw its lessons into the garbage. Yet Diablo3 team of arrogant dicks did exactly that.

It's the truth. Deal with it.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2014, 06:17.

News Comments > Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining
13. Re: Diablo III Season One Begins; So Does Complaining Aug 30, 2014, 19:55 shiho

I had hopes for Diablo 3 2.0, but it looks like they haven't fixed any of the glaring problems and general stupidity. In fact it appears 2.1.0 patch introduces some kind of level scaling mechanics.

All in all, this game is unsalvageable. It was created by ActiBlizzard Of New, directed by idiots like Jay Wilson, who saw Diablo as a mindless clickfest for ADHD tweens, and made it exactly into that. Self-fulfilling prophecy, if you will.

Gone is the synergy of player cooperation, complex maze generation, and any sense of real player agency except for clicking on shit. I'll always be bitter about this game because it's the first Blizzard product that sucks, and it sucks terribly.

722 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo