Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shiho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
26. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 18, 2015, 01:25 shiho

Didn't you know?

These days, IMURSHUN is achieved not through choices&consequences, cohesive worlds, engaging writing, stats that matter, reactivity, but through animated water and weaving grass.

Epically minigunning a Deathclaw is really the core of Fallout, see? MAXIMUM IMURSHUN.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
32. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 17:52 shiho

I'm about to publish my formerly DOS-based ASCII shooter on Steam. Product of adolescence.

It had an internal FPS of 15 at the time. I doubled it to smoothe the "camera" movement, so now it's 30.

Gah. Guess that's not enough now... even though it's largely pointless, because the game will still respond at 15FPS internally.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
8. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 17, 2015, 04:17 shiho

"Feature creep bloat". Isn't that like "ATM machine", "Sahara desert", etc?  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 00:06 shiho

harlock wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 23:31:
we know you arent perfect, but youre also annoying and stupid

so try to keep it short, ok kiddo?

That vague feeling of discomfort you felt upon glancing over my review, was created by your brain cells trying to multiply. I know it's uncomfortable at first, but hey, you spelled "youre" instead of "ur", and you are posting on a niche site created in the late 90s, so you are making progress. Keep it up! Thumbsup

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 11, 2015, 23:25 shiho

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 22:21:
All that needs to be realized from shihonage and his opinion is this quote from a few days ago from a previous post "The more people we have like Derek Smart and Peter Molyneux and that Fez guy, the better."

The only thing more delusional then shihonage is the fictitious antihero in this show.

That said, Again, amazing show.

You certainly have an interesting definition of "amazing", and a particularly content-free way of arguing your point. As for the ridicule, it really speaks for itself.

harlock wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 22:13:
shihonage wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 20:28:
harlock wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 13:48:
love this show

nobody cares

yeh but it didnt take me 5000 words to say it

It's okay son, nobody's perfect.

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 11, 2015, 20:28 shiho

harlock wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 13:48:
love this show

nobody cares

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 11, 2015, 18:15 shiho

After seeing the pilot, I dumped this terrible show. This is my IMDB review of it:

SPOILER ALERT!

SPOILER ALERT!

SPOILER ALERT!

The pilot centers around Elliot, 20-something guy who probably has a form of high-functioning autism, which isolates him from society, makes him withdraw into the world of computers, and he naturally becomes a genius hacker.

There have been a number of shows and films about people who are not NT(neurotypical), like "Monk" and "Numbers" and "Beautiful Mind", and even the martial arts film "Chocolate" - however, they managed to portray their heroes as sympathetic. After all, if you don't sympathize with the hero, what's supposed to hold your interest? In this show, nothing does.

This dude reads private Emails of people he "protects" (without their consent, of course). He has no life, at all, and therefore lives through controlling THEIRS, in textbook example of severe, long-neglected, codependence syndrome.

He believes work is slavery and corporations are the slave owners.

He wants "redistribution of wealth". The idea of erasing people's credit card debts makes him feel funny in the pants. Because it's not your responsibility to decide to borrow or manage your finances, no - it's the "corporation's fault".

This show would've been welcomed with open arms in my former homeland - USSR - just as any show that bashed capitalism or showed the West in a bad light. We lived without toilet paper, but at least we were free of corporations who produce it!

But I digress...

The show portrays Elliot as some sort of righteous warrior, but really he's an overgrown child.

We're supposed to sympathize with him not because of his personality - he has none - but because of his mental condition. The show does the autism spectrum no favors here by showing the hero as socially crippled, with minimal life skills, and drowning in angst.

Instead of portraying autistics as "different", it shows him as "broken", with no real outstanding character qualities or insights to compensate for his flaws. Yes, he can hack. At society's expense.

Not only is this show's "hero" a creepy simpleton, the overeager simplicity infects the entire show.

His friend, who works with him at a CYBERSECURITY COMPANY, doesn't know what a ROOTKIT is. He has to explain it to her, because, apparently, she's stupid because... she's a woman? Really?

The "enemy" in this show is the ambiguous, all-controlling "E CORP", which is constantly referenced verbally as "EvilCorp". Yes, really.

The evil CTO of "EvilCorp" is MOST DEFINITELY evil because he talks rudely to the hero's friend.

The hero goes to psychiatrist, who genuinely tries to help him. Instead, he, despite being chock-full of psychological issues, zones out during her visits and thinks about the photos he saw after hacking into her Facebook.

So the hero hacks his psychiatrists' new date. The date is a BAD GUY, because he has a wife, history of cheating, and he pulled up his dog by the leash when the dog misbehaved.

The dog trait was given to him to make him, you know, EVIL.

The hero has to protect his psychiatrist from this "self-destructive dating pattern", while being completely oblivious just how messed up, creepy and delusional HE is.

The show starts with by preaching about the "1% of the 1%"... i.e. "down with the bourgeoisie!", and it never really stops. It is aimed at the easily impressionable, the idealistic, the college students who don't understand work, or financial responsibility, and believe world history started when they were born.

Down with the system! Down with the corporations!

Of course, the show itself was made by a corporation and is aired thanks to a corporation, and it was made to make money from the same naive audience who applauds abolishing corporations.

I give it 3 stars instead of 1, because it's filmed well, and it's trying to have a plot.

Except that plot revolves around a codependent, isolated, angsty Peeping Tom with no understanding of history, politics or math.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jul 8, 2015, 01:17 shiho

It's the Lybians! Run for it, Marty!  

News Comments > No Man's Sky Gameplay Video
44. Re: No Man's Sky Gameplay Video Jul 7, 2015, 23:11 shiho

That interviewer is getting many mini-orgasms over Spore 2.  

News Comments > Op Ed
76. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2015, 23:22 shiho

I disagree with the implication that game developers aren't allowed to have controversial personalities.

The more people we have like Derek Smart and Peter Molyneux and that Fez guy, the better. They may be pompous or pretentious in some ways, but they add diversity and color to the community. In one way or another, they speak their mind and express their emotions about things.

Most importantly, they have passion about their projects.

What I really don't care for much, is all the polite devs spouting generic PR garbage because they're afraid of upsetting their friends in the community, or afraid for their "job security".

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2015, 04:00 shiho

I admire Smart's attachment to complex gameplay systems because I'm the same way.  

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Content Plans
11. Re: Killing Floor 2 Content Plans Jun 28, 2015, 03:25 shiho

What's sad is that Left4Dead solved these problems in what, 2008? It's not like they require big budgets to solve - just programming.

If you don't have the budget for fence climbing animations - don't make levels in a way where zeds are forced to climb fences. Idjots.

theglaze wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 03:06:
XP resets are also in the Early Access

As for the teleportation, I agree that it needs to be removed or significantly revamped.

Personally, I find the clunky movement of zeds over objects to be more annoying as they've instantly rise and fall over fences and what not with no climbing action, and ruining any lined up shot.

News Comments > Killing Floor 2 Content Plans
9. Re: Killing Floor 2 Content Plans Jun 28, 2015, 00:27 shiho

Until they remove zed teleporting, which negates all the strategy... the game is useless junk.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
12. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 27, 2015, 02:47 shiho

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 00:46:
I don't know what kind of age limits there are on holding a seat in the FCC (if any), but maybe we could start by changing the age requirements for the United States Presidency from minimum 35 to minimum 21, maximum 45. We could do similarly with other branches and positions.

That would help bring government around to more accurately representing the future rather than the past. Get all these old, clueless fucks that time left behind the fuck out of positions of power.

21 year old President... oh dear... well I guess he/she would still be smarter than Obama.

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Trailer
22. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 02:52 shiho

Did you doubt it as well when Valve rewrote most of Carmack's Quake codebase while making Half-Life?

'cause dem software developers, yeah...

Sepharo wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 02:49:
shihonage wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 01:40:
In the face of evidence contradicting to your viewpoint, attack the source.

Yawn-zies.

I said it was a good article. They definitely worked on and changed a bunch of stuff. But as a software developer, the rewrote every part bit is funny to me.

20. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 22, 2015, 01:40 shiho

In the face of evidence contradicting to your viewpoint, attack the source.

Yawn-zies.

18. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 21, 2015, 16:25 shiho

It's pretty clear from the article that they ended up rewriting every part of the engine in a major way, and the implications toward networking being ignored from this process are nonsense.

You have a lot of theory clouding your mind, while Titanfall in reality IS more responsive than TF2, and Dirty Bomb's netcode IS better than netcode of another recent UE game like Tribes. It can be felt.

Tribes DOES suffer from a lot of networking nonsense, and its netcode is RIDDLED with exploitable bugs, inconsistent performance on different machines, etc etc. But that's just Hi-Rez. Hi-Rez couldn't even make bullets draw at ping-aligned distances, hackers had to fix that for them.

descender wrote on Jun 21, 2015, 10:02:
That article is from like 2 days after release, back when they were still lying through their teeth about their "cloud processing" and some other features that we now know were not actually implemented in any meaningful way to Titanfall.

in the best case, it gets rid of a frame of latency there

That is exactly how much I am willing to believe they improved the "latency" in source, "a frame". They are not actually talking about networking latency there anyway. I believe they attempted to improve "input latency" since they were artificially locking themselves in to using triple-buffering, but actually altering the netcode? No way. Nothing specific mentioned and nothing else they claimed about the games revamped technology really turned out to be relevant in action.

I think there is more of a confusion of terms here than anything else. "Latency" has many factors, not limited to but including the netcode. The netcode controls hit-detection, and hit-detection works WAY better in source than most other engines (frostbite being the main competitor). So... maybe that's what I should have actually said. Frostbite does server based hit-detection, which is why you can get shot after you've already safely reached cover. This never happens in a source game.

Yes, I understand Frostbite has more to keep track of but no, I don't think that excuses them from trying to track more things than they can actually handle because they are basically using full server-side hit detection (like planetside2 did) and that is the worst™. IMO there is nothing more frustrating in MP FPS than the server telling you something different than what you see on your screen.

EDIT: Dirty Bomb runs on the Unreal engine, which has the worst possible netcode and latency issues of the 3 main options. I do appreciate the article though, it was an interesting read. Thank you.

15. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 22:31 shiho

Sepharo wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:52:
shihonage wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:35:
Titanfall actually had to rewrite Source networking stack to make fast-paced multiplayer work.

This interests me greatly... but doing some quick googling has returned nothing.
Do you happen to know where you learned this from?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-tech-interview

"Client-side, Respawn has based Titanfall on the Source engine, but it has effectively been re-built from the ground up. In our last Respawn interview, producer Drew McCoy said that "I hate to say that it's the Source Engine" because so much had changed. From our experience with the beta, we saw a piece of technology significantly transformed. Source was never particularly well-threaded, and there was no DirectX 11 support. More than that, the tech simply wasn't built for the kind of ultra-low latency feedback that the erstwhile Infinity Ward team members demand from a satisfying shooter."

"A lot of the work was making the engine multi-threaded. The original Source engine had a main thread that built up a command buffer for the render thread and there was a frame of delay. We kind of changed that so the render thread buffered commands as soon as they were issued - in the best case, it gets rid of a frame of latency there. And then almost every system has been made multi-threaded at this point. The networking is multi-threaded, the particle simulation is multi-threaded. The animation is multi-threaded - I could go on forever. The culling, the gathering of objects we're going to render is multi-threaded. It's across as many cores as you have."

12. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 16:35 shiho

descender wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 10:28:
laggy and imprecise like TF2
not suitable for fast-paced gameplay

You must play games on some other planet. Source has the most consistent and solid netcode in the business.

I really don't understand that comment at all lol... Frostbite has the most horrible netcode (shoot 3 feet behind your enemy to continue) in existence and I don't know what other "fast paced" multiplayer FPS engine you could be referring to. UE3 didn't even attempt lag compensation.

On topic: Dirty bomb looks to be about as generic as it could be. Both games are pretty blatant TF2 rip-offs, and neither of them are going to be very successful.

Quake Wars, my friend. Quake Wars had amazing netcode.

Titanfall actually had to rewrite Source networking stack to make fast-paced multiplayer work.

TF2 always handled about as precise as WoW combat to me. Overwatch looks similar.

It's been a while since I bothered with TF2, but did it really have objective-based gameplay?

Is objective-based gameplay considered "generic"? Are there more objective-based competitive FPS out there that are solidly built, of which I am unaware?

Dirty Bomb's level design is created from years of experience, so are the abilities of characters, many of which are taken from Quake Wars.

UE has pretty bad netcode by default (as evidenced by Tribes), but then again, HiRez is a half-assed company, and Splash Damage clearly went through a lot of effort to make the netcode work.

They lack cheat protection at the moment, which is unfortunate, but the netcode has quite a good "feel".

10. Re: Dirty Bomb Trailer Jun 20, 2015, 07:27 shiho

Jerykk wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 07:03:
Overwatch looks a lot more interesting than this. More interesting weapons, more interesting abilities, more interesting traversal.

Replace "interesting" with "wacky" for increased truth factor.

Overwatch looks like an overdesigned gimmick which is gonna handle laggy and imprecise like TF2, because both Source engine and Blizzard's next-gen MMO engine are not suitable for fast-paced gameplay.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo