Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for A.S.

Real Name A.S.   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname shiho
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 18, 2011, 06:27
Total Comments 735 (Apprentice)
User ID 56986

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
212. Re: bring on the Store Fronts and easy downloads Jul 30, 2016, 20:55 shiho

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 20:12:
16 gb of ram, cool thing i noticed is that they can be turned off.
Everything requires a login or payment method, that's the world we live in today. I'm not too old that i can't navigate a different program yet, and you can put a shortcut to the game you want on your desktop, when you click on it the client opens and then you can play the game.
Never had a problem. Of course I'm not running a celeron laptop.

The storefronts cannot be "turned off" without consequences. You turn them off, you subject yourself to the auto-updating process (of the store and/or game itself) next time you want to quickly run a game.

The two biggest ones - Steam and Origin, have no option to auto-exit once they've launched a game, either. That's because any big-name, serious storefront will double as the DRM provider, so you will have them running in background while their game runs.

Blizzard's Battle.net allows auto-exit only because they sell their own games, so they can spread their DRM framework thinly across the store and game itself, making the latter semi-independent of the store once it has launched.

But you will still pay for not running it in background, because patches.

Defending the CPU and memory hogging of multiple arbitrarily-updating storefronts which have whole ecosystems built-in, is pretty absurd as well.

You can trivialize the issue, but that doesn't make your presentation of it resemble the actual working reality.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2016, 18:28 shiho

DangerDog wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 17:34:
It's unfortunate that we have to wage war on stuff like this but people clinging to their copy of Windows 7 better hope there are some serious in-roads made to improving the usability of Linux over the next couple of years, it's still way too hacker orientated to be able to replace Windows and needs support from the likes of Adobe and Autodesk.

Even if MS goes full retard and completely locks down the desktop on home and pro versions it probably will just mean you'll need to acquire and enterprise version, right now it's around $50.

Win7 users don't need to cling for long. Win8.1 is the last honest OS made by Microsoft, and it supports the majority of Win10 hardware.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 30, 2016, 17:39 shiho

descender wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 23:11:
In Windows 7 you were not a real admin until you disabled UAC and magically got "real" admin privileges. In Win 8.1 you're pushed one step further - you need to disable UAC and then edit security policies. In Win 10 you may think you're admin, but your preferences do not matter, they can be reverted at any moment, and things will be done behind your back.

Most of the shit you post is crazy... but this is just hilariously wrong on multiple levels.

Stop using up all the tinfoil, some others here still need hats.

Zero-content reply. Thanks for the chuckle.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2016, 17:22 shiho

Vista and 7 are the same OS with different branding. They share the driver structure, and they share the same planned-obsolescence "forever-update" problem that MS inflicted on "legacy users".

I managed to fix it on one of my 7 machines using a guide, but not on others.

Meanwhile, enjoy your OS-as-spyware-service.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
19. Re: Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Jul 30, 2016, 04:19 shiho

Jerykk wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 04:15:
shiho wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 03:18:
I remember buying Deus Ex: HR, and talking to an early NPC, which was some sort of hobo woman living near a trash can, who mysteriously had lots of coherent and useful information about the world around me.

Given how I live in a hobo-infested city, that experience was jarringly unrealistic and put me off the game permanently.

Can't tell if serious..? If so, I assume you never played the original DX. It was full of surprisingly well-informed hobos.

Partially kidding, but partially serious. Deus Ex was what, 15 years ago? I've grown weary of lifeless NPC infodumps a long time ago, and it's not my fault that the industry has completely failed to move forward in most directions, except for advancements in UI and graphics detail.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
16. Re: Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Jul 30, 2016, 03:18 shiho

I remember buying Deus Ex: HR, and talking to an early NPC, which was some sort of hobo woman living near a trash can, who mysteriously had lots of coherent and useful information about the world around me.

Given how I live in a hobo-infested city, that experience was jarringly unrealistic and put me off the game permanently.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Trailer
55. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 29, 2016, 23:37 shiho

DangerDog wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 23:11:
shiho wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 18:28:
Dunno if this gameplay has been posted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U4OChfGvYsA

Looks like it's been removed, whatever it was

Sky of The..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by SIEA.

That was fast. That was some guy playing No Man's Content. He went around drilling for minerals in order to teleport them to his ship in order to repair his broken systems and his suit. The whole thing has a "Corpse of Discovery" kind of feel to it, with Minecraft in it.

He found some horribly ugly dog, and the dog actually found him a health... potion. He wanted to take the dog with him, but the game doesn't let you.

He identified a bunch of plants and animals and got an achievement of some kind as well, with an epic widescreen transition. "Survived 10 sols" or something.

All the plants and stuff have nonsensical names of course.

A spaceship flew by in the sky. The soundscape in this game is very atmospheric and pronounced.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 29, 2016, 19:50 shiho

But MS is still gonna spy on what the schoolchildren type, amirite.  

206. Re: bring on the Store Fronts and easy downloads Jul 29, 2016, 19:48 shiho

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 19:31:
I could care less how I get my games. The more store fronts the merrier I say. As long as i don't have to keep track of patches, cds and dvds the world is a better place.

Yeah, good luck running 10 different Steam-type clients which will eat 2gb of your RAM, countless CPU cycles, interfere with each other with all their visual overlays, require different payment methods and memorizing different UIs, and are unable to detect when another client is running an online game so they should STOP the autoupdating process.

Fuck that shit.

53. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 29, 2016, 18:28 shiho

Dunno if this gameplay has been posted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U4OChfGvYsA

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 29, 2016, 02:55 shiho

Death is already forever IRL. Why do I need this shit in a game.  

News Comments > DOOM Patch, DLC, and Double XP Plans
5. Re: DOOM Patch, DLC, and Double XP Plans Jul 28, 2016, 19:49 shiho

That's not too bad. Tribes: Ascend is still surviving with about what looks like 100 active players

Of course T:A is free-to-play.

News Comments > DOOM Patch, DLC, and Double XP Plans
1. Re: DOOM Patch, DLC, and Double XP Plans Jul 28, 2016, 18:37 shiho

It's wise of them to prevent playerbase fragmentation by allowing non-DLC players to join DLC players.

It's unwise of them to charge for this DLC, because I'm pretty sure their online playerbase is circling the drain.

48. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 28, 2016, 16:29 shiho

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 14:49:
Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 12:54:
What were people expecting here, Mass Effect?

Of course. This is the major problem here and the main source of the unwarranted, baseless hate that this title is receiving (ignorance level: RNC).

Seems that a chunk of gaming public simply can not stand even a thought of allowing for any other playing style than Ye Ole scripted-linear-guided experiences that we have been mostly fed for over a decade. Watching this whole process is actually quite fascinating, from a psychological point of view.

It`s quite paradoxical too: back in the early days we dreamed of complex worlds infused with complex gameplay, and thought that only hardware is the limit. Turned out that what people really want is more polygons, safe corridors and "stories", not actual gaming systems and true freedom. Pretty sad, if you ask me.

There is indeed a lot riding on the success/failure of this game. If it sinks, we won`t see any other project of this kind in a AAA wrapper for a long time, it will be all strictly underground. If it succeeds however, it will hopefully inspire other major studios to borrow from the things it make it so exciting and fresh.

So just hoping that Hello Games didn`t mess the basics up. If they managed to get the trade, fighting etc on at least "okay" level, then this game will be a modern classic, well above all your Witchers, GTAs and suchlike.

No. No, no, no.

We STILL dream of complex worlds with complex gameplay, even procedural worlds.

Some of us have enough experience however to distinguish when a game does offer that (Dwarf Fortress), and when a game is a spiritual sequel to Spore.

In fact when Spore was being marketed and everyone was ecstatic about it, I saw it exactly for what it was. This game is no different.

If you want to create complex procedural worlds, then your interactions with them should be complex, varied and meaningful. I see no evidence of that in "No Man's Content".

As for the upgrade/trading system... Elite: Desertous had that aplenty. It was a boring piece of crap game that I wasted money on, because its creator decided to recreate the experience of my ZX Spectrum childhood EXACTLY, with all the meniality and waiting that it involved.

"No Man's Gameplay" team is just a bunch of pie-in-the-sky programmers, who have idealized vision of their product that it will never deliver. However their presentations were enough to impress the clueless old execs at Sony, which is why the project will be seen to completion.

And then the public will see it.

I for one would like to discourage shit like this where developers severely misrepresent their game in order to get pre-orders. This will be, in many ways, "Aliens: Colonial Marines" type situation.

Except, if it's released on Steam, Steam now offers refunds.

36. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 28, 2016, 07:21 shiho

loomy wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 06:25:
I know what you guys are saying. I thought the same about diablo in the 90s. I could not explain why just clicking was so fun, and I resented the game for it. Fact is, I was totally wrong. It's enough to explore and collect stuff. People are simple creatures and will enjoy countless hours just looking for new boxes to open.

Now that's what I call reductionism. The randomization in Diablo 1 played a functional role which directly impacted the gameplay, rather than a mostly cosmetic role.

Random dungeons directly shaped how each game went, and created a tangible variety of experiences, as opposed to illusory variety of "No Man's Content".

The random content was also balanced with plenty of crafted content, such as unique monsters, char. classes and sufficiently developed combat mechanics/variety.

The process of leveling/advancing was also a large factor because it provided tangible benefits of learning new abilities, qualifying for better items, and just getting stronger in general.

"No Man's Content" just doesn't look like it has nearly enough of hand-crafted content in order to direct this game's experience in such a rewarding way. It will be just one of those sandbox games which offer a thousand different ways to get bored.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2016, 07:41.

19. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 27, 2016, 22:12 shiho

loomy wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 21:02:
you guys are being assholes. rolling dice is fun. millions of people bought dayz and its clones so they could spawn naked and find random items and then die. this game will be fun as long as you're not an asshole with asshole expectations

Day-Z has actual gameplay mechanics and a pre-built world, if I am not mistaken.

13. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 27, 2016, 19:28 shiho

YEAH MAN but the purple cats on the next planet have slightly longer necks!  

7. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 27, 2016, 18:38 shiho

Quboid wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 18:34:
What is a Florp? Is it's nonsensical-ness is the point or is there something more to it?

"Garbage In, Garbage Out"?

I once wrote an email web client called Gigo based on that

Hehe

But it's true. "No Man's Content" is going to put a huge dent in the value of the term "procedural" when used to hype any future game.

3. Re: No Man's Sky Trailer Jul 27, 2016, 18:20 shiho

The game should be renamed to "GIGO".  

171. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 18:15 shiho

nin wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 08:57:
I'd be careful who you worship there.

I have a high school buddy whose worldview is shaped by Daily Show and Young Turks (the antithesis of mine), and we hang out literally every week. I manage to retain respect for otherwise well-meaning people in my social circles who spout insults toward Donald Trump with regularity of clockwork.

The Internet makes it tempting to think in memes, but in reality a person has more than one side.

If my political opinions seem too loony for you, consider learning how to compartmentalize. It's an important part of growing up.

735 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo